PDA

View Full Version : Cuts

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 03:36 PM
EDIT: From the Steelers' website:

The Steelers have placed rookie linebacker Sean Spence on their Reserve/Injured List and released 20 others, reducing their roster to the league-mandated 53 players, the team announced today.
Spence suffered a left knee injury in the Steelers’ preseason finale against the Carolina Panthers and will miss the 2012 season.
Two veterans that have spent time with the Steelers who were released today are offensive lineman Trai Essex and punter Jeremy Kapinos (Waived/Injured List). Essex has played in 76 career games for Pittsburgh (28 starts) while Kapinos has been the team’s punter for most of the past two seasons.
The other 18 players released include defensive backs Damon Cromartie-Smith, Terrence Frederick and Josh Victorian, linebackers Brandon Hicks and Marshall McFadden, defensive linemen Corbin Bryant, Igbinosun Ikponmwosa and Jake Stoller, quarterback Jerrod Johnson, running back DuJuan Harris, wide receivers Tyler Beiler, Toney Clemons, David Gilreath, Marquis Maze and Derrick Williams, and offensive linemen Ryan Lee, John Malecki and Chris Scott.

I'm missing one name, unfortunately:

Sean Spence on IR.

Jeremy Kapinos
Trai Essex
Corbin Bryant
Jerrod Johnson
Tyler Beiler
Marquis Maze
Toney Clemons
David Gilreath
Derrick Williams
Damon Cromartie-Smith
Terrence Frederick
Josh Victorian
DuJuan Harris
Brandon Hicks
Marshall McFadden
Jake Stoller
Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
Ryan Lee
Chris Scott
John Malecki

Some notables:

They're keeping 4 WRs and 4 CBs, at least for now.

Robert Golden (despite getting injured) and Adrian Robinson made the team.

Kelvin Beachum beat out Trai Essex.

David Paulson also made the squad.

They will keep 3 quarterbacks.

Al Woods beat out Corbin Bryant, although the latter's practice squad eligibility surely played a role.

I just got this after they read off a list of names on the Steelers live at 4 show. I'm sure a proper list will be up shortly.

The current roster:

76 Adams, Mike OT 6-7 323 22 R Ohio State
28 Allen, Cortez CB 6-1 196 23 2 The Citadel
26 Allen, Will S 6-1 200 30 9 Ohio State
20 Batch, Baron RB 5-10 210 24 2 Texas Tech
16 Batch, Charlie QB 6-2 216 37 15 Eastern Michigan
68 Beachum, Kelvin OG 6-3 303 23 R SMU
84 Brown, Antonio WR 5-10 186 24 3 Central Michigan
31 Brown, Curtis DB 6-0 185 23 2 Texas
9 Butler, Drew P 6-1 204 23 R Georgia
54 Carter, Chris LB 6-1 248 23 2 Fresno State
25 Clark, Ryan FS 5-11 205 32 11 Louisiana State
74 Colon, Willie T 6-3 315 29 7 Hofstra
89 Cotchery, Jerricho WR 6-1 200 30 9 North Carolina State
66 DeCastro, David OG 6-5 316 22 R Stanford
27 Dwyer, Jonathan RB 5-11 229 23 3 Georgia Tech
50 Foote, Larry LB 6-1 239 32 11 Michigan
73 Foster, Ramon G 6-6 325 26 4 Tennessee
77 Gilbert, Marcus T 6-6 330 24 2 Florida
30 Golden, Robert S 5-11 202 21 R Arizona
98 Hampton, Casey NT 6-1 325 34 12 Texas
92 Harrison, James OLB 6-0 242 34 9 Kent State
97 Heyward, Cameron DE 6-5 288 23 2 Ohio State
96 Hood, Ziggy DE 6-3 300 25 4 Missouri
48 Johnson, Brandon LB 6-5 245 29 6 Louisville
46 Johnson, Will FB 6-2 238 22 1 West Virginia
99 Keisel, Brett DE 6-5 285 33 11 Brigham Young
4 Leftwich, Byron QB 6-5 250 32 10 Marshall
64 Legursky, Doug G 6-1 315 26 4 Marshall
23 Lewis, Keenan CB 6-0 208 26 4 Oregon State
90 McLendon, Steve DT 6-4 280 26 3 Troy
34 Mendenhall, Rashard RB 5-10 225 25 5 Illinois
83 Miller, Heath TE 6-5 256 29 8 Virginia
29 Mundy, Ryan FS 6-1 209 27 4 West Virginia
48 Paulson, David TE 6-4 246 23 R Oregon
43 Polamalu, Troy SS 5-10 207 31 10 USC
45 Pope, Leonard TE 6-8 264 28 7 Georgia
53 Pouncey, Maurkice C/G 6-4 304 23 3 Florida
22 Rainey, Chris RB 5-9 180 24 R Florida
33 Redman, Isaac RB 6-0 230 27 3 Bowie State
46 Robinson, Adrian LB 6-1 250 22 R Temple
7 Roethlisberger, Ben QB 6-5 241 30 9 Miami (Ohio)
88 Sanders, Emmanuel WR 5-11 180 25 3 SMU
82 Saunders, Weslye TE 6-5 270 23 2 South Carolina
78 Starks, Max T 6-8 345 30 8 Florida
6 Suisham, Shaun K 6-0 200 30 8 Bowling Green State
55 Sylvester, Stevenson ILB 6-2 231 24 3 Utah
95 Ta'amu, Alameda NT 6-3 348 22 R Washington
24 Taylor, Ike CB 6-2 195 32 10 Louisiana-Lafayette
94 Timmons, Lawrence LB 6-1 234 26 6 Florida State
17 Wallace, Mike WR 6-0 199 26 4 Mississippi
60 Warren, Greg LS 6-3 252 30 8 North Carolina
56 Woodley, LaMarr OLB 6-2 265 27 6 Michigan
65 Woods, Al DE 6-4 307 25 3 Louisiana State
93 Worilds, Jason OLB 6-2 262 24 3 Virginia Tech
Injured Reserve

# NAME POS. HT. WT. AGE EXP. COLLEGE
51 Spence, Sean LB 5-11 231 22 R Miami (FL)

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Did they keep 4 TE's??? Miller, Pope, Paulson and Saunders??

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 03:41 PM
Any word on who will make the practice squad?

And Saunders is suspended and doesn't count against the 53 man roster until he returns. Paulson would likely be cut then.

QCbeauBlak
08-31-2012, 03:46 PM
I really hope Jerrod Johnson makes the practice squad. I love Batch and Leftwich but at some point you got to move on. I really do not see what people see in Leftwich at all. I never have. What has he contributed to this team other than getting hurt when it counts? Sure that isn't his fault but I don't care. In Jerrod Johnson you have a young talent who probably isn't going to get many looks around the league, not even for a backup role. I think he has promise to be a really solid backup to Ben one day. I hope he makes the practice squad.

austinfrench76
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Seems very ballsy to keep only 4 WR's on the active roster. I know they will probably add a couple to the PS but I would think you keep 1 of the guys not eligible for the PS?!

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 04:00 PM
Looks like they're also keeping 9 LBs on the roster. Both Brandon Johnson and Adrian Robinson made the roster. Can't blame the Steelers though, that position has been absolutely gutted by injuries.

Atlanta Dan
08-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Seems very ballsy to keep only 4 WR's on the active roster. I know they will probably add a couple to the PS but I would think you keep 1 of the guys not eligible for the PS?!

It's a number game - Steelers carrying players on the roster for other positions that cannot go in week one

But no worries - Colbert has Sweed's # on speed dial if anything happens to the WRs:thumbsup:

xbroughneck
08-31-2012, 04:06 PM
well...looks like

1. steelers are going to run the ball
2. Mike Wallace will have the opportunity to have good stats

ZiggyHeyward
08-31-2012, 04:10 PM
I like Golden over Cromarte-Smith and Beachum over Essex little more sandpaper in the secondary and im happy for Beachum

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2012, 04:12 PM
the NFL needs to seriously consider expanding the roster sizes. round it off to 55 with a 9 man practice squad.

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
well...looks like

1. steelers are going to run the ball
2. Mike Wallace will have the opportunity to have good stats

How often are 5 receivers on the field in general? I don't think keeping only 4 receivers has anything to do with pass/run ratio. Besides, their strength is still the QB and the WRs.

Don't forget that Chris Rainey can be motioned to the LOS.

MasterOfPuppets
08-31-2012, 04:17 PM
rainey can line up at wr . he's going to catch a lot of balls this year.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 04:43 PM
I was wrong, I actually didn't miss anybody. The Steelers website lists 54 players on their roster, but that includes DeCastro and Saunders.

During the show, they had Kevin Colbert on, and he did mention that they will have a couple wide receivers on the practice squad most likely. I think it's a couple days before they can assemble a practice squad, but were I to guess, it would look like this:

QB Jerrod Johnson
WR David Gilreath
WR Toney Clemons
DE Corbin Bryant
CB Terrence Frederick/Josh Victorian (toss up)
OG Chris Scott/Ryan Lee (possibly both)
LB Marshall McFadden
eighth spot either the other G, RB DuJuan Harris, or a waiver pickup.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Also, one of these players, or possibly a waiver pickup, will be added back to the roster once DeCastro is put on the new IR, at least for the first 4 weeks while Saunders serves his suspension. When Saunders gets back, don't be surprised if it's Pope that gets the axe and not Paulson.

tony hipchest
08-31-2012, 04:52 PM
somebody better tell josh victorian. he's accepting and re-tweeting congratulations on twitter.

Josh Victorian‏@jDot_Vic

Iam a Steeler !! #Salute to #SteelersNation

how embarrasing if he's actually been cut. :doh:

Bayz101
08-31-2012, 04:53 PM
I seriously hope Jerrod Johnson makes the practice squad. I think he's just a year away from being our backup.

Wallabeast17
08-31-2012, 04:56 PM
somebody better tell josh victorian. he's accepting and re-tweeting congratulations on twitter.

Josh Victorian‏@jDot_Vic

Iam a Steeler !! #Salute to #SteelersNation

how embarrasing if he's actually been cut. :doh:

:doh: . I was actually pulling for him. I like the potential i saw in him, he is also seemed like a pretty decent guy when i "talked" to him at training camp.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Ugh...I hope for his sake that he was either told that they intend to bring him back on the practice squad or when DeCastro is put on IR.

Edit: Sounds like practice squad:

Josh Victorian ‏@jDot_Vic
@JoJoF30 p-squad

Bayz101
08-31-2012, 05:07 PM
They told him he's making the practice squad. Hopefully Jerrod Johnson got that call, too.

Jpeezyiseternal
08-31-2012, 05:10 PM
Is Jerron Johnson really a more superior nfl quarterback than dennix dixon? i'm not sure about that

on that same topic......

Is Bryant Mcfadden's little brother a more superior nfl cornerback than big bro?

Bayz101
08-31-2012, 05:20 PM
Is Jerron Johnson really a more superior nfl quarterback than dennix dixon? i'm not sure about that

on that same topic......

Is Bryant Mcfadden's little brother a more superior nfl cornerback than big bro?

No doubt. Jerrod Johnson ran the ball once, and it was for a loss to avoid going out of bounds and stopping the clock. He has an excellent arm, and it's possibly the strongest arm on the team. He was showing excellent accuracy yesterday, as well as against the Colts, in which he lead a game-winning drive.

And to top it all off, yes, he can run. But that doesn't make him a run-first quarterback. Far from it, actually.

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 05:44 PM
Keep in mind Jerrod Johnson has only played against third-stringers. Also, I don't get why people make a big deal about his potential. Who cares? He's never going to be as good as Ben. And when Ben does finally decide to hang them up, the Steelers are likely going to the draft to find the QB of the future.

Bayz101
08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Keep in mind Jerrod Johnson has only played against third-stringers. Also, I don't get why people make a big deal about his potential. Who cares? He's never going to be as good as Ben. And when Ben does finally decide to hang them up, the Steelers are likely going to the draft to find the QB of the future.

We're not talking about "the future". We're talking about backups. Backups can't have potential?

Charlie Batch is 37.
Byron Leftwhich is 32.
Jerrod Johnson is 24.

All i'm saying is: We need some youth at the QB position, and Johnson looked good. I foresee Leftwhich and Batch hanging them up before Ben does.

PS: I don't care who he was playing against, everyone of his throws we're on the money, and his targets we're in good coverage.

Goldsteel86
08-31-2012, 06:03 PM
We're not talking about "the future". We're talking about backups. Backups can't have potential?

Charlie Batch is 37.
Byron Leftwhich is 32.
Jerrod Johnson is 24.

All i'm saying is: We need some youth at the QB position, and Johnson looked good. I foresee Leftwhich and Batch hanging them up before Ben does.

PS: I don't care who he was playing against, everyone of his throws we're on the money, and his targets we're in good coverage.

BayZ I agree with you, IMO Batch proved last night he can lead the offense even with the second team, he can still manage the game. Johnson brings so much more of a dimension to the offense, Leftwich has cement shoes when it comes to extending the pocket or being able to run. Time for some youth as a back up, Charlie compliments Ben, such a good relationship, what does Leftwich bring, a strong arm? Johnson has an equally strong arm with young legs. Should have kept Johnson on the active roster, never know what could have been done with him. :noidea:

tanda10506
08-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Glad to see Robinson and Johnson were kept at LB. Pretty surprised Beachum was kept and that Gilreath, Beiler, and Clemons were cut. 4WR is low when one of them hasn't been able to play more then half a season at a time.

Goldsteel86
08-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Glad to see Robinson and Johnson were kept at LB. Pretty surprised Beachum was kept and that Gilreath, Beiler, and Clemons were cut. 4WR is low when one of them hasn't been able to play more then half a season at a time.

James Farrior or Hines Ward anyone?????

teegre
08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Also, one of these players, or possibly a waiver pickup, will be added back to the roster once DeCastro is put on the new IR, at least for the first 4 weeks while Saunders serves his suspension. When Saunders gets back, don't be surprised if it's Pope that gets the axe and not Paulson.

Absolutely. Pope showed me NOTHING. He is a Haley guy, but Saunders & Paulson loked much better.

67 calsteel
08-31-2012, 06:10 PM
Teams can start signing players to the practice squad sunday at noon.

fer522
08-31-2012, 06:29 PM

not that many QB's are gonna be as good as Ben :doh:

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 06:43 PM
not that many QB's are gonna be as good as Ben :doh:

I'm aware of that. But people keep making a big deal about some sort of "potential" Johnson has. It's all irrelevant.

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
Not as the successor to Ben Roethlisberger, but to Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch. I thought that was pretty obvious.

Bayz101
08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Not as the successor to Ben Roethlisberger, but to Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch. I thought that was pretty obvious.

That's what I was trying to say...

SteelBlaze1
08-31-2012, 07:16 PM
From ESPN:

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

Most significant move: The Steelers are going with undrafted rookie Drew Butler (son of former NFL kicker Kevin Butler) as their punter, and injuries essentially forced this move. Pittsburgh parted ways with Daniel Sepulveda this offseason because he couldn't stay healthy and injury-waived Jeremy Kapinos on Friday after a back issue sidelined him this summer. Butler averaged 45.9 yards this preseason and placed six of his 28 punts inside the 20-yard line. The other noteworthy move was keeping Charlie Batch, who was not expected to see his 11th season with Pittsburgh after Byron Leftwich won the backup job. The Steelers decided to keep three quarterbacks and just four wide receivers. But Chris Rainey, who has lined up in the slot this preseason, is a hybrid running back-receiver.

Onward and upward: Pittsburgh should have no problems signing David Gilreath to the practice squad. If the Steelers went with a fifth receiver, it would have been Gilreath. He separated himself from an undistinguished bunch of reserve receivers with four catches for 78 yards in the second preseason game. The other benefit of keeping Gilreath is his ability as a returner. He led Wisconsin in punt and kickoff returns two years ago and could get promoted if Rainey got injured. Of course, receivers Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders can return kicks as well.

What's next: The Steelers may address depth at inside linebacker after placing rookie third-round pick Sean Spence on injured reserve Friday. With Stevenson Sylvester out for a couple of weeks with a torn MCL, Pittsburgh is down to former Bengals linebacker Brandon Johnson as the top backup inside. The Steelers could bring back Trai Essex, after cutting the eight-year veteran Friday, when they place first-round pick David DeCastro on injured reserve Tuesday (allows them to activate DeCastro after eight weeks under the new IR rule). Pittsburgh is expected to waive rookie tight end David Paulson after Weslye Saunders serves his four-game suspension for violating the league's performance-enhancing drug policy.

QCbeauBlak
08-31-2012, 07:40 PM
I'm aware of that. But people keep making a big deal about some sort of "potential" Johnson has. It's all irrelevant.

A good team should always look for potential and talent no matter what position on the depth chart. It is ALWAYS relevant. Just 2 years ago we went through all 4 QB's in a 5 game stretch (the fifth game being Ben starting after the suspension). The Texans last year went through 3-4 QB's. You never know when your number will be called. Johnson has a lot of the same skill that Ben has and fits well in our offense so it seems.

Also, look around the league at all the team racking up draft picks for backups. Why not groom all our backups and if one draws interest from another team, pull the trigger. Especially if you figured that player would never be a starter on your team. Another way of looking at it is, a younger player will naturally be more athletic and sometimes even have a stronger arm. I would imagine Ben could benefit more competing with fresh Legs than with Letwich.. what the hell does Lefty offer this team?

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 07:44 PM
If the Steelers are down to their third QB, whether it's Batch or Johnson, they're screwed either way. At this point, both Leftwich and Batch are better than Johnson anyways, who has only played against third-stringers in preseason games. The guy is just another Dennis Dixon.

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 07:48 PM
I would imagine Ben could benefit more competing with fresh Legs than with Letwich.. what the hell does Lefty offer this team?

Yeah.... Ben would really be in danger of losing his job to Jerrod Johnson :doh:

QCbeauBlak
08-31-2012, 09:01 PM
It's not about losing his job as it is about a younger guy being more hungry than a career backup guy like Byron. The younger guy would work harder in practice because they are fighting to be noticed. It would take superior strides in practice to surpace someone like Batch, but if he did, and got to play in a regular season game or two, he could end up doing well. He would be the next Kevin Kolb, Matt Flynn, or whatever other quarterback that got a team draft pick rich. While a long shot. It's just an idea of mine. Philly is known for it. Not to mention a younger guy would cost less. Byron or Batch know their roles on this team and that their best bet to prolong their career is do enough to stay here..

we can agree to disagree about it all.. while I do agree with you that we would be screwed if we lost all those QB's.. then again, TJ Yates as a playoff win!

Steelersfan87
08-31-2012, 09:59 PM
Examining the Steelers' initial 53 man roster (http://www.examiner.com/article/examining-the-steelers-initial-53-man-roster-part-1?cid=db_articles) (Read More)

The Pittsburgh Steelers have announced their initial 53 man roster today following the release/waiving of 20 players and the announcement that rookie 3rd round selection Sean Spence would be placed on injured reserve. First, let’s take a look at the list of cuts:

P Jeremy Kapinos
OL Trai Essex
DE Corbin Bryant
QB Jerrod Johnson
WR Tyler Beiler
WR Marquis Maze
WR Toney Clemons
WR David Gilreath
WR Derrick Williams
S Damon Cromartie-Smith
CB Terrence Frederick
CB Josh Victorian
RB DuJuan Harris
LB Brandon Hicks
LB Marshall McFadden
DE Jake Stoller
DE Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
OG Ryan Lee
OG/T Chris Scott
OG/C John Malecki

For those aware, these 21 moves cut the Steelers’ roster from 75 to 54. The 22nd spot is accounted for by the 4 week suspension that backup tight end Weslye Saunders is set to begin serving tomorrow. In addition, 1st round rookie guard David DeCastro, who suffered a significant knee injury, will be placed on the brand new 8 week injured reserve list on Tuesday at 4 PM, which will open a roster spot that one of the above listed cut players may fill.

Now, before taking a look at the final roster, let’s see what these cuts tell us about the Steelers of 2012 thus far. The release of the 5 wide receivers means that they plan to go with only 4 on the active roster this year. For comparison, they carried 6 last year. Likewise, they will only carry 4 cornerbacks, as opposed to the 6 of last year.

Undrafted rookie punter Drew Butler won the punting job by default, as Kapinos suffered a back injury in training camp. Also, defensive end Al Woods won the 4th DE spot on the roster. It is likely that Corbin Bryant’s practice squad eligibility played a key role in the decision.

The team elected to go with 7th round rookie lineman Kelvin Beachum over veteran jack of all trades Trai Essex. Both struggled mightily in the first two preseason games, but appeared to settle down in the final two. It is possible that Essex is the one to be re-signed after DeCastro is moved off the active roster.

Bayz101
08-31-2012, 11:26 PM
If the Steelers are down to their third QB, whether it's Batch or Johnson, they're screwed either way. At this point, both Leftwich and Batch are better than Johnson anyways, who has only played against third-stringers in preseason games. The guy is just another Dennis Dixon.

Bullshit. Dixon couldn't hit a barn with a whale. Johnson has a strong arm and accuracy. Regardless of WHO he went against, his passes we're on the mark. If anything Jerrod Johnson is more similar to Steve McNair in the sense that he can pass and run.

ricardisimo
09-01-2012, 12:41 AM
One of those TEs might be gone once Saunders gets back. I think they like that kid a lot, despite his screw-up.

I'm stunned that Chris Scott was cut. That draft started out looking great, and has just gotten worse and worse over the past three years.

TheVet
09-01-2012, 01:35 AM
Bullshit. Dixon couldn't hit a barn with a whale.

lol, we need a picture of him trying!

SteelCity4Life
09-01-2012, 02:07 AM
I agree with Bayz.

Jerrod Johnson showed great accuracy even if against 3rd stringers. We KEPT LEFTWICH??? :banging:

IDIOTS! I beg to differ if anyone thinks Byron has seriously done anything to reserve his spot. He's only got injured. Batch earned and deserved to stay. Johnson is young and that's what we need. Charlie Isn't gonna be getting any younger! What happened to this teams eye for talent?

Some of these moves I SERIOUSLY question. Some were unnecessary since we've already lost 3 of our draft picks to injury, so they'll likely not get any serious time until next season. We need to protect Ben NOW. The Cleveland game was bad enough last year (which, BTW, I was kinda pissed at the entire team)

Also, of all people I think David Gilreath would have been the keeper. He proved some real potential in the last two games.

Maybe this is a little premature to me. But a few of these moves really raise my eyebrows. Why keep a backup who's never really done anything for us? There's only one #7, and when he goes down, I don't trust Charlie's age against an already ABYSMAL offensive line. I like him, I really do, but in certain citatutions it hasn't mattered. Our backup QB's are lacking and Lefty was the one who should have been walking. Oh well. I'm done rambling.

I hope the team really knows what it's doing because I'm not very comfortable with where we are come Sept. 9. Things have only gotten worse it would seem.

MACH1
09-01-2012, 03:04 AM
I agree with Bayz.

Jerrod Johnson showed great accuracy even if against 3rd stringers. We KEPT LEFTWICH??? :banging:

IDIOTS! I beg to differ if anyone thinks Byron has seriously done anything to reserve his spot. He's only got injured. Batch earned and deserved to stay. Johnson is young and that's what we need. Charlie Isn't gonna be getting any younger! What happened to this teams eye for talent?

Some of these moves I SERIOUSLY question. Some were unnecessary since we've already lost 3 of our draft picks to injury, so they'll likely not get any serious time until next season. We need to protect Ben NOW. The Cleveland game was bad enough last year (which, BTW, I was kinda pissed at the entire team)

Also, of all people I think David Gilreath would have been the keeper. He proved some real potential in the last two games.

Maybe this is a little premature to me. But a few of these moves really raise my eyebrows. Why keep a backup who's never really done anything for us? There's only one #7, and when he goes down, I don't trust Charlie's age against an already ABYSMAL offensive line. I like him, I really do, but in certain citatutions it hasn't mattered. Our backup QB's are lacking and Lefty was the one who should have been walking. Oh well. I'm done rambling.

I hope the team really knows what it's doing because I'm not very comfortable with where we are come Sept. 9. Things have only gotten worse it would seem.

Bottom line is "potential" didn't beat out a dinosaur or a statue at qb. Dixon had butt loads of potential and now we tune in to Where are They Now. I'm sure if the front office seen the "potential" to beat out the old guys they would have retained him. Just my :twocents:

GoFor7
09-01-2012, 09:49 AM
LOL! I remember hearing similar things about Dixon. "He has so much potential! He should be number two! He could challenge Ben! He could be the future!" Please. As much as a lousy starting QB Leftwich was when he was with the Jaguars, he makes a decent backup, and at this point is better than Jerrod Johnson. Oh, and there's a big difference between playing third-stringers in a preseason game and first-stringers in a regular season game. Dixon looked good against third-stringers in preseason too. Not so much in regular season games.

You ask what Leftwich has done for this team? Not much - which is something you could say for most backup QBs in the NFL. So then I ask, what has Johnson done for this team besides look good against third-stringers in preseason and "show potential?"

Somehow, I think the front office has a better evaluation of talent then the fans do. Crazy idea, I know.

Kingmagyar
09-01-2012, 10:47 AM
The best of both worlds for the Steelers is have Lefty and Batch on the roster and Jerrod Johnson on the practice squad learning and taking mental reps. Then next year Johnson steps in with a roster spot.

wera176
09-01-2012, 11:17 AM
The best of both worlds for the Steelers is have Lefty and Batch on the roster and Jerrod Johnson on the practice squad learning and taking mental reps. Then next year Johnson steps in with a roster spot.

I think an NFL team can only have 3 QBs on the roster, or something like the 4th one can't practice or something to that effect. Including Practice Squad.

Johnson is going to be available for someone else to sign...

LVSteelersfan
09-01-2012, 11:40 AM
Bottom line is Lefty and Batch BOTH have many years of experience as STARTING QBs in the league. When you listen to the expert analysts talk about the Steelers, they are impressed with the depth at QB that the Steelers have. I don't like it any more than some of you that they didn't bring in a QB to back up Ben besides Lefty but I don't think a rookie QB is that answer. I think they should have gone after Hoyer after the Patriots jettisoned him. I think a QB like him would be a much better backup than Johnson because he has been around a few years.

SteelCityScotty
09-01-2012, 12:03 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but who, from the list of players cut yesterday, DOESN'T qualify for the practice squad, and thus, is possibly gone for good?

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-01-2012, 12:07 PM
I have to disagree with the Leftwich hate. The fact that the Steelers have 3 QBs who have been full-time starters in this league is invaluable if you ask me.

mikegrimey
09-01-2012, 01:33 PM
LOL! I remember hearing similar things about Dixon. "He has so much potential! He should be number two! He could challenge Ben! He could be the future!" Please. As much as a lousy starting QB Leftwich was when he was with the Jaguars, he makes a decent backup, and at this point is better than Jerrod Johnson. Oh, and there's a big difference between playing third-stringers in a preseason game and first-stringers in a regular season game. Dixon looked good against third-stringers in preseason too. Not so much in regular season games.

You ask what Leftwich has done for this team? Not much - which is something you could say for most backup QBs in the NFL. So then I ask, what has Johnson done for this team besides look good against third-stringers in preseason and "show potential?"

Somehow, I think the front office has a better evaluation of talent then the fans do. Crazy idea, I know.

Thanks, I was getting déjà vu with all of the Johnson stroking going on in this thread.

I remember when Dixon "absolutely had" to be our starting qb for the 2010 season... Some even thought he'd push Ben for a starting job, all predicated on his great performances in the 2nd half of preseason games

lipps83
09-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Bullshit. Dixon couldn't hit a barn with a whale. Johnson has a strong arm and accuracy. Regardless of WHO he went against, his passes we're on the mark. If anything Jerrod Johnson is more similar to Steve McNair in the sense that he can pass and run.

Exactly and that isn't to mention that his passes were to receivers that have been cut from the team. If he were to get time on gameday, those passes would be going to Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Miller.

GoFor7
09-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Exactly and that isn't to mention that his passes were to receivers that have been cut from the team. If he were to get time on gameday, those passes would be going to Wallace, Brown, Sanders and Miller.

And he'd be playing against first-string defenders, not scrubs who will be bagging groceries starting next week.

Steelers didn't sign Johnson to the practice squad, and none of the other 31 teams claimed him off waivers. Doesn't seem like other teams see the "potential" some Steeler fans do.

tanda10506
09-01-2012, 06:23 PM
And he'd be playing against first-string defenders, not scrubs who will be bagging groceries starting next week.

Steelers didn't sign Johnson to the practice squad, and none of the other 31 teams claimed him off waivers. Doesn't seem like other teams see the "potential" some Steeler fans do.

Agreed. Backups are on a year to year basis and for this year, Leftwich and Batch were the better options. Leftwich has the experience, starting experience at that, and he made some good throws in preseason. Batch is always reliable and wins games when he plays for us, so he too was a better option for this year.

Steelersfan87
09-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Johnson is more poised, has a bigger arm, is more accurate, and makes more intelligent decisions than Dennis Dixon. I expect to see him in camp again next year.

Hawaii 5-0
09-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Ed: Cutting Wasn't the Problem, Stopping Was

MONDAY, 03 SEPTEMBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

I love the smell of the start of the regular season in the morning.

The clock keeps ticking on contract negotiations between the Steelers and Mike Wallace. As I’ve written here since the spring, I think he will play this season at $2.7 million and sign elsewhere in 2013. That’s life, as Antonio Brown might say. It also would continue their streak of never having two highly paid wide receivers, at least not on my watch (I have no idea what Swann and Stallworth were paid).

Next year, they will just have to dig deep into the draft and pluck one out on the third or sixth round.

Some stuff and your questions (remember to send me questions at platefloor@aol.com ):

--- Nice touch by Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert to visit the high school game of Bill Stewart’s son, as reported in the PG by Jenn Menendez. They had Friday night off and spent it in Morgantown as a tribute to the late WVU coach, who died suddenly in May.

--- After all was said (and repeated) and done, none of the Steelers’ cuts was a real surprise unless they don’t bring Trai Essex back. Really, who did they waive that surprised you? Chris Scott? Marshall McFadden, giving them no McFaddens on the team this year? Jeremy Kapinos? Nope, not a one, not even Jerrod Johnson. As Chuck Noll might say (I love quoting the old coach, who should have a book The Sayings of Chairman Charles): “Cutting isn’t the problem, stopping is.’’ And that was back in the day of 47-man rosters, not 53 plus eight.

--- YOU: Will/Can Al Woods play DE and NT? Also, Do you watch/like Hard Knocks?
ME: I haven’t seen Woods play nose tackle, and they have three of those on the roster anyway. As for Hard Knocks, no I do not. Unless the Steelers do it, which they never will, I’m not interested. I do watch Newsroom and Boardwalk Empire on the same channel, though. And, of course, I make the occasional appearance on Auction Kings.

--- YOU: Do you think Dwyer has a chance to get 20-25 carries week one, establish himself as a workhorse back, and hold on to the job for the entire season?
ME: I don’t think any one back will carry that often because I think they will split up the carries. However, if one back is more effective than another, they will learn more toward him. That could be Jonathan Dwyer, it could be Isaac Redman, it could be Rashard Mendenhall when he returns. One thing about this offensive coordinator, he’s not going to have favorites, he’s going to go with what works best.

--- YOU: Just a Steelers fan from NJ wondering two things;
1.) What are our chances of seeing Rashard Mendenhall this season?
2.) Do you have a Twitter? So I can follow the teams news a little more closely.
ME: Yes, I believe Mendenhall could appear in October, although he may not be the same Mendenhall we’ve seen in the past because of the surgery to his knee. My Twitter is @EdBouchette.

--- YOU: I know there aren’t enough practice snaps to go around to typically warrant keeping a 4th QB on the practice squad, but Johnson seemed to show more promise than any of the young QBs the Steelers have taken from Tee Martin to Dennis Dixon. Johnson seemed to have the size, skills and pedigree (he was slated to start ahead of Ryan Tannehill before getting injured), to eventually be a quality No. 2, at least. Am I putting too much stock in his preseason performance? It seems the Steelers should have tried to find a way to keep him. Batch will be 38 in December and is the 3rd string QB. Was it really worth keeping him, especially considering no other team was likely to sign him? He lives in Pittsburgh and is always a phone call away. Why not either go with 2 QBs (Ben and Byron) and sign Jerrod Johnson to the practice squad as the scout team QB, or simply put Johnson on the 53 man roster. If either Ben or Byron get injured, you can call Charlie and re-sign him. It will be interesting to see if Batch is even active on game day. If not, keeping him makes even less sense.
ME: I liked Johnson as well, but the Steelers coaches must not have thought as highly of him or they would have found a way to keep him. You don’t cut good, young quarterbacks, so they must not have seen his future as brightly. Dennis Dixon once was thought of highly too, but they did not re-sign him and he is now on Baltimore’s practice squad, although I do not know how he’s still eligible for that. Charlie Batch brings more to the table than just a third-string quarterback. He’s been there, won that, and he’s also a valuable asset to Ben Roethlisberger.

--- YOU: When they put D.DeCastro on IR, for the 53rd man, U'r saying T.Essex. I'm thinking more a CB or WR, only b/cuz the CB/WR could/can play on STs. W/ C.Rainey being quote a 5th WR, I'm thinking a 5th CB is more important, ecsp. w/ C.Brown dinged.
ME: Its jst my opnion that the Stlrs will put Trai E. on 53 bec they have jst 8 Olmen.

--- YOU: When's Mendenhall's current contract up? Given all the young depth
behind him, and his having had a second, serious injury, I could
imagine things eventually becoming interesting. I do not envy NFL
running backs.
ME: This is the final year of his contract. I don’t know what you mean by interesting, but if you mean there’s a chance he won’t be here in 2013, I agree.

--- YOU: Diccicco was cut by the Bears--will the Steelers take a look at him, at least for special teams--of course Buffalo might come into play here. =
ME: They pour over all the cuts, sometimes they bring them in for workouts and once in a great while they will sign one. I would not expect that to be the case here.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117872-ed-cutting-wasnt-the-problem-stopping-was

SteelCity4Life
09-03-2012, 09:58 PM
okay guys, when this CRAPPY excuse for an offensive line doesn't protect Ben, and he's standing there holding onto the ball for 15 seconds and goes down, Batch is the only DECENT backup for the job. At Ben's injury rate, isn't this just borrowed time he's living with?

All I'm saying, is when we lose Ben, there's hardly anyone else I trust to back us up. Dixon I can't honestly say is better than Johnson.

When I asked what has Leftwhich done, I mean, compare him to Batch. They would be even if not for the fact that Batch can read defenses well.

Thank HEAVENS for Todd Haley. If we can get a real run game the O will have something else at least. How much longer can the dense carry the team? That's the big question.

I'm cautiously optimistic about our opener against the Broncos. What was an awesome off season/preseason quickly turned into hell.

tony hipchest
09-04-2012, 12:05 AM
as the saying goes in most football cities "the back-up QB is the most popular guy in town".

only in pittsburgh is the #4 qb (who is cut and not even on the practice squad) the most popular guy.

amazing.

Rick5895
09-04-2012, 03:44 AM
I defer to the coaches on Johnson. If they saw something he would still be here in some capacity.
I can't wait for Sunday night, gives the folks here something else to bitch and complain about instead of the fact we cut a QB who was basically a training camp arm. J.J. got lots of opportunity in the preseason to show his stuff and he didn't do enough. So why keep going on about it?

GoFor7
09-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Steelers not interested in bringing this guy back http://sulia.com/my_thoughts/c99a71b4-b9f8-41cc-a88c-5355bad39834/?source=twitter …

"This guy" Kaboly is referring to is Trai Essex. Which begs the question who will the Steelers put on the 53 man roster once DeCastro is on the 8 week IR?

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2012, 11:24 AM
as the saying goes in most football cities "the back-up QB is the most popular guy in town".

only in pittsburgh is the #4 qb (who is cut and not even on the practice squad) the most popular guy.

amazing.
well tony its just frustrating seeing "the "future" , of the steelers being squandered away by these clowns making bad personnel decisions. take thad gibson for example... the guy has already scored mcdonalds "employee of the month" award 3 times....3 times tony !!! ...that would have most likely translated in the NFL to 3 team defensive MVP awards !!!! :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
"This guy" Kaboly is referring to is Trai Essex. Which begs the question who will the Steelers put on the 53 man roster once DeCastro is on the 8 week IR?

Where is Dan Koppen now? Patriots cut him.

GoFor7
09-04-2012, 12:15 PM
Where is Dan Koppen now? Patriots cut him.

Ravens are reportedly close to cutting Bryant McKinnie... :chuckle: