PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Conditioning - Not Everyone?

Atlanta Dan
07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Another thread highlights this AP story in terms of a less than contrite Santonio Holmes, but I was more interested in this statement later in the story regarding today's test runs:

Nine players skipped the runs because of medical concerns, the most of any recent Steelers camp. Among those not running were quarterback Charlie Batch, center Jeff Hartings, running back Duce Staley, nose tackle Casey Hampton, linebacker Joey Porter, right tackle Max Starks, defensive end Shaun Nua and tight end Walter Young.

Porter had knee surgery two months ago, and Cowher said he likely will begin camp on the physically unable to perform list.

Hampton, a Pro Bowl lineman whose listed weight is 325 pounds, had problems with the run test three years ago. On Saturday, he took part in several 100-yard runs that weren't part of the Steelers' prescribed running test and trailed badly in his group.

"Casey tweaked a hamstring last week running for the test,'' Cowher said. "I was surprised. He said he tweaked it, but I didn't know he could run fast enough to tweak it.''

Staley being held out of the runs on the first day of camp is not encouraging, since he never recovered from a training camp setback last season.

In addition, Cowher said several months ago that some players did not meet their targets for weight - it appears one of those players was Casey Hampton.

Casey is a rock on the defensive line - hopefully he is not eating himself into trouble.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14083055/

slashsteel
07-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Every year Casey questions. And every year he performs. I am not worried in the least.

Atlanta Dan
07-29-2006, 10:34 PM
Every year Casey questions. And every year he performs. I am not worried in the least.

I agree this is an annual story, but players with chronic weight problems can fall off quickly as they get older.

BlackNGold203
07-29-2006, 10:34 PM

Agreed....we hear this annually about Casey...he'll be ready for 9/7 and the fins...

BlitzburghRockCity
07-29-2006, 10:41 PM
No need to worry about Casey, he'll get himself squared away. Porter is in awesome shape year around, the guy has like negative total body fat. He'll be ready to play.

Duce is the one that worries me again. Training camp just started and he's already held out of some drills.

SteelerMurf
07-29-2006, 11:05 PM
Casey has serious football speed........and stamina, I don't care about a run test on him