PDA

View Full Version : The Yet to be Named Player is????

Kingmagyar
08-31-2012, 07:01 PM
When David Decastro is placed on the new 8 week IR list Tuesday the Steelers will add one more player to their roster.

And this yet to be named player is???

CB Josh Victorian?

CB Terrence Frederick?

WR Derrick Willaims?

OL Trai Essex? (who's salary would not be guaranteed at this point)

WR Terrell Owens??????????(just kidding)

Being that Victorian and Frederick could be called up if they made the practice squad and with maybe WR David Gilreath being on the PS as well to be called up maybe Trai Essex isn't done yet. Your thoughts

Jpeezyiseternal
08-31-2012, 07:15 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!!

This just in, due to the recent injury of Sylvester the one and only Hines Ward is coming back to play LB for the steelers

ZiggyHeyward
08-31-2012, 07:34 PM
Greg Lloyd Jr!!!!!!!!!!

Hawaii 5-0
08-31-2012, 08:09 PM
it will be Trai Essex...

QCbeauBlak
08-31-2012, 09:13 PM
I swear if it's Trai Essex, I am going to be pissed off!! Why all the suspense for an old spot duty lineman? Is there information they are waiting for to determine, lets say Adams or any other lineman's current injury status? I don't buy it. I think Trai is done.. for good.. Unless someone gets hurt during the season we may call him up like we did Starks last year.. I don't know, just my opinion.

I'd love to see a Frederick or Gilreath make the squad. I believe this was a very competitive year for many of the young guys and I hate that the NFL roster is so small. Then again, the smaller the roster, the more fun because one teams trash is another team's treasure.. Kind of like how Danny Woodhead previously from the Jets, or our own Stephan Logan whose with the Lions now.. They not only found a team, but an important role on them.

GoFor7
08-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm guessing it's either Trai or a 5th WR.

LVSteelersfan
09-01-2012, 11:52 AM
They may be waiting to see if there is anyone on the waiver wire that might be better than Essex. They may not find a starter on waivers, but they can find someone better than Essex.

GoFor7
09-01-2012, 01:00 PM
According to Steelers Depot, not so fast on putting DeCastro on the 8 week IR:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/steelers-likely-to-carry-david-decastro-on-active-roster-for-a-while/

Hawaii 5-0
09-01-2012, 02:01 PM
According to Steelers Depot, not so fast on putting DeCastro on the 8 week IR:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/steelers-likely-to-carry-david-decastro-on-active-roster-for-a-while/

smart, by waiting until after the first game Essex's salary won't be guaranteed for the full year and they can cut him again without having to pay him any more $ after DeCastro is re-activated from IR.

GoFor7
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
smart, by waiting until after the first game Essex's salary won't be guaranteed for the full year and they can cut him again without having to pay him any more $ after DeCastro is re-activated from IR.

Is there a deadline by when DeCastro has to be placed on the 8 week IR in order to be eligible to return?

Hawaii 5-0
09-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Is there a deadline by when DeCastro has to be placed on the 8 week IR in order to be eligible to return?

I don't believe so, the only restriction from what I understand is that each team can only designate one player one time to be placed on the 8 week IR and be allowed to re-activate that player after the 8 week period is up.

Hawaii 5-0
09-01-2012, 08:30 PM
I found this explanation on the new injured reserve rules which is somewhat helpful:

Details On NFL's New Injured Reserve Rules

Aug 30
by Joel Thorman

Details are starting to trickle out on the new injured reserve rules adopted by the NFL and NFLPA. The new rules which will allow a player to go onto IR and return that season will include an exemption for this year only for those players who have already been placed on IR.

The highlights of the new rule are that a "major injury" is defined as a player that's out for six weeks, a player has to be "designated for return" at the time of his placement on IR and a player can return once he's been on the IR list for eight weeks.

The release on the new rules describe how this will work.

1. Only players with a "major injury" who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be reactivated at a later time.

2. A "major injury" is defined as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury.

3. Each team may reactivate only one player placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4. That player must be "designated for return" at the time the club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day's Personnel Notice.

4. Such player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least six weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the Active List if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.

The part about designating a player for a return at the time he is placed on IR should be emphasized; you can't just wait and see on a player.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/8/30/3280056/nfl-injured-reserve-rules

GoFor7
09-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Just a thought, why does IR have to mean a player's season is over? It's not like that in other professional sports, like in the NHL where Sidney Crosby spent most of 2011-12 on IR, then came back in March. Why can't these guys be allowed to come back and play if they're healthy enough? Yes, teams would have to cut players, but that happens during a season anyway.

I think instead of practice squads, teams should have developmental camps. When someone does get placed on IR a player from the camp could come up and get some time in the NFL. Then when the injured player is healthy enough to return, he's removed from IR and the developmental player is sent back down.

I don't see how the NFL benefits when better players have to spend a season on IR, even if they are healthy enough to come back later in the season. :noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
09-10-2012, 07:55 PM
thank God, the Lord has mercy! looks like that player won't be Trai Essux...we all needed a piece of good news after yesterday's loss. :applaudit:

Colts ts sign guard Essex, waive two

by Sports Network
September 10, 2012

Indianapolis, IN The Indianapolis Colts signed free agent guard Trai Essex on Monday.

Essex, who has started 28 of his 76 career games, was waived on Aug. 31 by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The 6-foot-5, 324-pounder had been a Steeler his entire career (2005-2011) and was a part of two Super Bowl-winning teams. The former third-round pick played in all 16 games for the Steelers last season, seeing action at guard, tackle and center.

The Colts also waived tackle Mike Person and center A.Q. Shipley.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-tsn-abn-essex-ind-20120910,0,3715991.story