PDA

View Full Version : Free Agency

NLong725
09-02-2012, 03:11 AM
i was wondering who do you think should the steelers try to pick up with all the just released free agents like cooley or branch ,winslow,or a decent OL for a year?

fer522
09-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Tim Hightower

Steeldude
09-02-2012, 08:58 AM
IMO, Eric Norwood.

Who are the notable tackles/guards that are available?

TheDude
09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
IMO, Eric Norwood.

Who are the notable tackles/guards that are available?

Great question.

It appears we are going to roll with 8 offensive linemen to start the season. The 3 non-starters are Adams, Legursky, and Beechum. Hard to believe that there was not one interior OL better than an undersized center and two rookie T.

Especially Beechum, his play in the preseason...well, let's just say, I was pretty confident he would make it onto our practice squad. And to be clear, I would have been disappointed had he been claimed by another team. The fact is he played all over the OL and looked really over-matched at times.

The front office and coaching staff must really like Beechum.

LVSteelersfan
09-02-2012, 10:17 AM
The Steelers are set. Don't look for them to try to do anything in free agency. I believe the free agents they picked up earlier are the only ones you will see this year. That is why they win. They build from within instead of picking other peoples' castoffs.

tony hipchest
09-02-2012, 02:23 PM
IMO, Eric Norwood.

Who are the notable tackles/guards that are available?tony hills (notable that he is a former steeler just cut by denver) is available...

NLong725
09-02-2012, 02:58 PM
they are some vetern OL like Kareem McKenzie Jake Scott that might have a few years left or nothing else maybe for a year

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Great question.

It appears we are going to roll with 8 offensive linemen to start the season. The 3 non-starters are Adams, Legursky, and Beechum. Hard to believe that there was not one interior OL better than an undersized center and two rookie T.

Especially Beechum, his play in the preseason...well, let's just say, I was pretty confident he would make it onto our practice squad. And to be clear, I would have been disappointed had he been claimed by another team. The fact is he played all over the OL and looked really over-matched at times.

Or... it could be that the FO doesn't want to lose face, releasing 3 of our 4 seventh-round picks.

Yeah, we kept Paulson, but after Saunders serves his sentence, Paulson will probably be relegated to the PS. Frederick is gone, and Clemons is a PSer. If Beechum had been cut, it would have been embarrassing.

Hawaii 5-0
09-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Great question.

General Manager Kevin Colbert and the Steelers coaching staff appear to be high on rookie Kelvin Beachum, who they think can play left guard, left tackle and eventually center.

Colbert was asked Friday about the decision to keep Beachum on the 53 man roster. "His versatility to play tackle, guard, and some day he'll be able to play center as well, once he learns how to snap because of his intelligence," said Colbert. "You love that versatility, especially when you're only carrying really eight active offensive linemen because David (DeCastro) will be an inactive player for as long as he's carried on the active roster."

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/dont_expect_trai_essex_back_any_time_soon/11604031

teegre
09-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Or... it could be that the FO doesn't want to lose face, releasing 3 of our 4 seventh-round picks.

Yeah, we kept Paulson, but after Saunders serves his sentence, Paulson will probably be relegated to the PS. Frederick is gone, and Clemons is a PSer. If Beechum had been cut, it would have been embarrassing.

I've seen them cut all but two players.  As Cowher once said, "Once the draft is over, it doesn't matter if you were picked in R1 or R7: I'm going to play the best player at each position."  

Kugler loves Beachum.  The kid is way smart.  It'll take him time to adjust to the level of competition, but I think that in two years, Kugler could have him battling The Colon for the starting LG spot.  In Kugler I trust.

Fire Haley
09-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Who you gonna cut first?

Steelersfan87
09-02-2012, 10:41 PM
For people complaining about Beachum, I recommend rewatching the Panthers game. He played much better and is showing progress. Obviously enough to keep him on the roster. If he continued to play as poorly as he did in the first two games, there's no way the Steelers would have kept him.

Steeldude
09-02-2012, 11:43 PM
tony hills (notable that he is a former steeler just cut by denver) is available...

Suitanim will be happy. He thinks Hills is great and stated that he will be the starting guard for the Steelers :rofl:

Hawaii 5-0
09-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Steelers | Trio of CBs try out

Wed, 05 Sep 2012

The Pittsburgh Steelers recently worked out free-agent CBs Dominique Franks (Falcons), Terrence Johnson (Colts) and Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (Cowboys).

Source: Scout.com - Aaron Wilson

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz25f6ExHvp