who is the top 5 best hall of famers for the steelers

5 Franco Harris
4 Mel Blount
3 Jack Ham
2 Jack Lambert
1 "Mean" Joe Greene

fer522
09-02-2012, 08:34 AM
i would have to put Bradshaw somewhere in there imho, we could maybe make it the top 6?

ricardisimo
09-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Mel Blount first. Dick Lebeau would probably crack my top-5.

steelerchad
09-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Mel Blount first. Dick Lebeau would probably crack my top-5.

Lebeau doesn't count. He's in the HOF from his Detroit Lions playing days.

Bayz101
09-02-2012, 12:27 PM
5 Franco Harris
4 Jack Ham
3 Jack Lambert
2 Mel Blount
1 "Mean" Joe Greene

--------------------------------------

Dick Lebeau would have cracked mine, too, but i'm under the assumption this is a players poll.

steelerchad
09-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Webster is a top 5 guy all time at his position. He would be on my list.
As much as I like Franco, maybe at his expense. I'd like to find a place for Stallworth, but I'm not sure. Bradshaw as others suggest has to be there. I'll go top 7 like this.

7. John Stallworth
6. Franco Harris
5. Mike Webster
4. Mel Blount
3. Terry Bradshaw
2. Jack Lambert
1. Joe Greene

I think BR and the bus will wind up getting in. Maybe Hines. Not sure any of those 3 would crack our all time top 10 though.

ricardisimo
09-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Lebeau doesn't count. He's in the HOF from his Detroit Lions playing days.
Yes and no. Make no mistake, a hundred other players would have made it in before Lebeau if not for his legacy as a Steelers coach.

StainlessStill
09-02-2012, 03:49 PM
1. Mean Joe
2. Lambert
3. Franco
4. Bradshaw
5. Ham

Hawaii 5-0
09-02-2012, 04:04 PM
1. Mean Joe Greene
2. Jack Lambert
3. Terry Bradshaw
4. Mel Blount
5. Franco Harris

teegre
09-02-2012, 06:12 PM
5.  Webster  
He dominated quietly... in an area filled with dominant DTs (Purple People Eaters, Doomsday Defense, Orange Crush, etc).  

4.  Ham  
Ray Lewis just eclipsed some of Ham's records... and Ham played seven fewer seasons (ie Ham was amazing).  

3.  Blount  
The Mel Blount rule.  'Nuff said.  

2.  Lambert  
My brother would cry (as an infant) at the sight of Lambert... and I'm sure opposing QBs shared my brother's sentiment.  

1.  Mean Joe  
The best D-lineman I've ever seen.  

I heard a story, on "Mike & Mike", where Mike Golic was talking about his playing days in Miami, and Joe Greene was his DL coach.  Well, one day, the players were F-ing around, and Joe got angry, and declared, "I'll show you how it's done."...and Joe lined up & then proceeded to knock Mike Golic back on his ass.  "Next!!!" Joe screamed...and one by one, he lined up across from these young men, and knocked them over.  

As Golic said: "A 45 year old man, with no pads, lined up & knocked over a dozen men in their prime.  I can only imagine how DOMINANT Joe Greene would have been in HIS prime."  

Oh, and Joe Greene changed the mindset of the Steelers (from habitual losers into perennial winners).  

ricardisimo
09-02-2012, 06:23 PM
It's curious that no one has mentioned Rod Woodson. He might crack my top-5 as well.

teegre
09-02-2012, 06:45 PM
It's curious that no one has mentioned Rod Woodson. He might crack my top-5 as well.

I had him at #5... but, the fact that he left dropped him down. He is the best CB & S that I've ever seen, but those S years were with another team. Make sense?

steelerchad
09-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Yes and no. Make no mistake, a hundred other players would have made it in before Lebeau if not for his legacy as a Steelers coach.

I agree.
The HOF voters were swayed by his coaching resume, but by letter of the law shouldn't have considered that part of his career.