PDA

View Full Version : LB's of today or yesterday

BlitzburghRockCity
06-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Who would you rather have... The LB's of the 70's dynasty teams.. or the LB's of today.

Think about it, the answer might not be so obvious as your first reaction might tell you.

clevestinks
06-12-2005, 05:25 PM
Ham, Lambert and Russel or Farrior, Porter, Foote, and Haggans. Ill take Lambert ,Ham , Russell. But I think I`d rather have Llyodd, Greene, Brown and Kirkland.

stillers4strife
06-12-2005, 05:54 PM
What are the guidelines/scenario/situation? Who are either today's LB's or the 70's LB's matching up against? Today's or the 70's OL? Difference in size, expectation of what they're suppossed to do, and so on.

I guess just with the info present, I'll copy clevestinks and say I'd rather have 1) Lloyd, Greene, etc then 2) Lambert, Ham, etc. and finally 3) Farrior, Porter, etc.

So if the choice is today's or 70's, I'd go 70's.

LambertIsGod58
06-12-2005, 07:28 PM
Lambert, Ham and Russell hold the record for most Pro Bowls for a LB trio. I believe it's something like 27 or 28. On top of that they were part of the greatest defense ever assembled. Hands down the LB's of the '70s.

Volpe1564
06-12-2005, 07:49 PM
But I think I`d rather have Llyodd, Greene, Brown and Kirkland.

id second that. :)

ironcitychef
06-13-2005, 12:52 AM
I always like to flip flop. If the '70's played now and now in the '70's what would be the results? My opinion...Lambert, Ham, Russell still are Hall of Fame cause of attitude(even though they would be undersized). Having those guys on our AFCC losing teams would have made a difference for the positive, where I think having our guys now back in the '70s wouldn't have given us all 4 SB trophies. I would go '70's. [notes kept thinking about pure number of shutouts the Steel Curtain rang up and those LB's had to play a part in that]

JerseySTEEL
06-13-2005, 01:06 AM
dam blitz and u said mine was hard lol.this is a tought question, i would love to saw the 70's just out of respect. but iam thinking about if i was at a bar who would i want to walk in, and iam thinking of the new LB core porter,farrior,haggans,foot, just out of the fact we could talk about the game they just played or the the game there goign to play nedxt week. i hate to pick between the two, but i think i would have a great time with the lbs of today.

clevestinks
06-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Good point Jersey, but we see todays games it would be great to pick the brains of the old timers. How about LLyodd and Lambert on the field together. WOW now thats what I`m talking about.

bigbensgirl7
06-13-2005, 06:08 PM
How about LLyodd and Lambert on the field together. WOW now thats what I`m talking about.
I hear that!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
06-14-2005, 01:10 AM
You just cant find the toughness in players of today like u can w/ the ones in the 70's. NOt saying that Lloyd, Porter, Farrior, etc weren't or arent tough. They are superb LB's, and Im sure glad they are or were a part of our teams. I think though too,even though the LB's of the 70's were so tough, you have think too, the players now are so much bigger and would they be overmatched up against todays offensive players?

ironcitychef
06-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Thought about the size issue too BRC, but thought that more often the story is of someone too small too slow making up the difference with attitude and hard work rather than someone too big dominating. I think those '70's guys wouldn't back down from today's O-line guys or tall WR across the middle.

clevestinks
06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I would take Lambert in the 70`s 80`s 90`s now or in 20 years.

BlitzburghRockCity
06-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Thought about the size issue too BRC, but thought that more often the story is of someone too small too slow making up the difference with attitude and hard work rather than someone too big dominating. I think those '70's guys wouldn't back down from today's O-line guys or tall WR across the middle.

I agree, the attitude and heart those guys played with.. the pride, intensity, they wouldnt back down from an entire army. You can make a case for either group of LB's for sure. There are plenty of players who were told they couldnt make it because of one reason or another and have succeeded.