PDA

View Full Version : Not Liking Our #1 Draft Pick

Lyn
07-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Cook: Steelers' top pick shows no remorse on arrests, says Ben didn't call
Sunday, July 30, 2006

By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This is how badly Santonio Holmes' welcome-to-Steelers-training-camp news conference went yesterday:

The kid essentially called Ben Roethlisberger a liar and it wasn't the worst part of the session.

The worst part was that Holmes showed absolutely no remorse for his two arrests in a three-week period late in the spring.

"I don't think I have anything to prove to anybody," he said, almost defiantly, his first public comments since the arrests. "People know what I can do on the field and they know the type of person I am off the field."

Actually, we don't.

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette
Santonio Holmes says his actions on the field should speak for him.
Click photo for larger image.

We know Holmes was a special player at Ohio State. That's why the Steelers made him their No. 1 draft choice in April and signed him to a five-year, $8.11 million contract Friday, including a $5.42 million bonus. It's also why he could comfortably wear a red Buckeye Football T-shirt around the St. Vincent College campus yesterday with "Da Man" on the back.

But we don't know Holmes as a person. All we know is he was arrested on Memorial Day weekend in Miami on a disorderly conduct charge and again June 18 in Columbus, Ohio, on a domestic-abuse charge.

That's why it would have been nice if Holmes had pulled a Floyd Landis yesterday and asked us to wait to judge him until all the facts of his incidents are out. Remember, he hasn't been convicted of anything yet. It also would have been nice if he had said something like, maybe, "This isn't the way I wanted to start my career in Pittsburgh, but if you give me a chance, I'll prove to you the type of character I have."

But Holmes didn't do that.

He didn't even come close.

"I haven't gotten any negative feedback from one person since I've been in town the past month-and-a-half," Holmes said, leaving the impression he thinks it's perfectly normal for a guy to get arrested twice.

The whole scene was bizarre.

That's the only word to describe Holmes' response to a question about why he didn't return Roethlisberger's telephone calls after Big Ben reached out to him to show his support after his second arrest. "I called him a bunch of times and left a bunch of messages for him, and he never called me back, so I don't know how to take it," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette's Paul Zeise earlier this month. "The ball is in his court ..."

Responded Holmes: "I didn't get any calls from him."

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

That Holmes and Roethlisberger really do need to talk?

Maybe there's a logical explanation there. Maybe Roethlisberger had the wrong number for Holmes. Or maybe Holmes had a bad cell phone day and never got the messages.

Maybe.

But, no matter the circumstances, Holmes' answer made Roethlisberger look bad. Call me crazy, but I just don't see the wisdom in a rookie wide receiver making his quarterback look bad. Holmes' timing seemed especially jarring because, just two hours earlier, Roethlisberger had stood on the practice field after the team's grueling conditioning run and gushed about how glad he was that Holmes made it to camp on time without contract problems and how eager he was to work with him.

It's unclear when Holmes and Roethlisberger will chat, but Bill Cowher had a sit-down planned with Holmes last night. Wouldn't you have loved to be a fly on the wall during that conversation? Presumably, Cowher made clear his displeasure with the negative attention Holmes brought the Steelers and gave him a little unsolicited advice about the responsibility that goes with being a professional athlete. For Holmes' sake, here's hoping he showed a little more humility with the boss.

Hey, it's tough to be too hard on the kid. Holmes is 22 and, as he put it, "a young guy stepping into a great deal of things ahead of me." It's also understandable why he was on the defensive when he met the local media for the first time under these circumstances. There weren't the usual queries that a No. 1 pick gets about how it feels to suddenly be a multi-millionaire or how soon he expects to contribute to the team. Virtually the first question for Holmes was about the possibility of him having to miss camp time because of an Aug. 15 court date in Columbus on the domestic-abuse charge. He shrugged it off and indicated he plans on being on the practice field on Aug. 15.

"All of that is behind me," Holmes said. "As far as I know from talking to my attorneys, there's nothing more that I have to do."

That was the good news to come out of the session.

The only good news, unfortunately.

Young, immature and nervous or not, it's still hard to get by Holmes' complete lack of contrition.

That's why you'll have to forgive me if I'm not willing to share in his joy when he said, "It feels good to be a Steeler."

At this point, I'm not ready to say I'm happy that Holmes is a Steeler.

And the two arrests are only a part of it.

LambertIsGod58
07-30-2006, 08:11 AM
Totally understand your position here......for me it's too early to make up my mind on Holmes. From what I understand he was the best WR in the draft according to some analysts. On top of that, I don't think the Rooneys or Cowher will put up with too much.

Lyn
07-30-2006, 08:16 AM
He is an excellent athlete, no question! Is that an excuse to be rude? I would think under all the circumstances he would be somewhat humble...............even if he hadn't spent the offseason in and out of jail for short periods. I would think he would be a professional and look up to the vets but he has made it crystal clear that he is "da man" No matter what you say the guy is an arrogant SOB who needs his clock cleaned and it will happen.
I can't admire someone who is ****y and in this jerk's case I do not even pity him!

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2006, 08:26 AM
The bottom line is Santonio Holmes isn't paid to be a nice guy. He is paid to produce and help win football games. Really thats the only things that matter. If he does that and stays out of jail. I could care less if he is an arrogant jerk.

LambertIsGod58
07-30-2006, 08:28 AM
Again I understand your take, but today's NFL isn't too worried about who is arrogant and who is remorseful about off the field problems. How many chances did Ricky Williams get? How many problems has Terrell Owens had? And as far as admiring this guy, he's not there for that. He's there because he has God given talent. If that's what he was there for, they would draft on personality and morals....not physical talent. I'm not tryin' to be argumentative here...it's just today's pro sports don't make any of this a major priority.

Mosca
07-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Totally understand your position here......for me it's too early to make up my mind on Holmes. From what I understand he was the best WR in the draft according to some analysts.

And TO is unquestionably the best wide receiver in the game today. But we don't want him.

The Steelers will be the Steelers just fine without him, the sooner he learns that he's not bigger than the Steelers or bigger than football, the better.

Tom

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-30-2006, 08:58 AM
The bottom line is Santonio Holmes isn't paid to be a nice guy. He is paid to produce and help win football games. Really thats the only things that matter. If he does that and stays out of jail. I could care less if he is an arrogant jerk.

I DO care if he is an arrogant jerk!!! As the father of a 12 yo son..I have had the opportunity to impress upon him that sports is not only about how you perform, but in how you conduct yourself. I have been able to take those conversations, as he has got older, and been able to apply those convictions to "life". He now knows (at the age of 12) that as he does his paper route he not only needs to be punctual and reliable, but also must act professionally. His actions are a direct reflection of the newspaper he is representing. He will take that life lesson with him when he is an adult.

One of the reasons that I love my Steelers and love for my son to follow the team...is that they have had these same beliefs and they have traditionally been a team that has tried to do the "right thing". I have been able to share with both my kids how the Rooney's believed in Rocky Blier..even after he was wounded in war. I have been able to show them articles about Lambert sitting on the hill with the kids after practice. Even lately I cut out the story of Randle El being drafted by the Steelers and asking the reporters for time to "pray in thanks" with his family before he gave interviews...and of Ben driving his sister to Prom.

I care as much as ANYONE about our team winning games. But I dont ever want to win at the expense of the team cohesion and tradition that the Steelers alone have exemplified. If we wanted a talented jerk..T.O. was available!!

That being said..I hope that he gets it together, grows up a little, performs well and THEN stays with the team for a long time.

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Yesterday's statements by Holmes are another example of how an agent is supposed to earn his pay by doing more than negotiating the contract. It appears that nobody has sat Holmes down and given him a crash course in media relations 101; if someone has done that and Holmes still does not get it then yesterady's session that prompted the rip job by Ron Cook is a preview of more problems to come.

I agree that Holmes is being paid to catch the ball and not be any kind of role model.
That having been said, when he appears to be calling his QB a liar then he is crossing the line from off the field thug and entering the T.O./Plax zone by dissing his teammates.

Hope Holmes had a nice time visiting with Cowher last night - I assume Holmes did more listening than talking :)

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2006, 09:16 AM
I DO care if he is an arrogant jerk!!! As the father of a 12 yo son..I have had the opportunity to impress upon him that sports is not only about how you perform, but in how you conduct yourself. I have been able to take those conversations, as he has got older, and been able to apply those convictions to "life". He now knows (at the age of 12) that as he does his paper route he not only needs to be punctual and reliable, but also must act professionally. His actions are a direct reflection of the newspaper he is representing. He will take that life lesson with him when he is an adult.

One of the reasons that I love my Steelers and love for my son to follow the team...is that they have had these same beliefs and they have traditionally been a team that has tried to do the "right thing". I have been able to share with both my kids how the Rooney's believed in Rocky Blier..even after he was wounded in war. I have been able to show them articles about Lambert sitting on the hill with the kids after practice. Even lately I cut out the story of Randle El being drafted by the Steelers and asking the reporters for time to "pray in thanks" with his family before he gave interviews...and of Ben driving his sister to Prom.

I care as much as ANYONE about our team winning games. But I dont ever want to win at the expense of the team cohesion and tradition that the Steelers alone have exemplified. If we wanted a talented jerk..T.O. was available!!

That being said..I hope that he gets it together, grows up a little, performs well and THEN stays with the team for a long time.

I totally agree with you about sports and how its a great teacher for lessons in life. But thats more at the High School level now. Lets face it even in college sports and of course the pro leauges its all about money and winning. Personally and I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your son. But I wouldn't my son if I had one looking up to these ego maniacs.

I just don't think pro athletes are role models and they are not paid to be. Yea in the past I would say they were. But those days are long gone. So just as long as Santonio stays out of jail and produces on the field. I could care less if he is the biggest jerk in the world.

83-Steelers-43
07-30-2006, 09:20 AM
So just as long as Santonio stays out of jail and produces on the field. I could care less if he is the biggest jerk in the world.

And doesn't become a cancer in the locker room.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2006, 09:22 AM
And doesn't become a cancer in the locker room.

Yea I agree there. Trust me I don't think Cowher would let that happen. Hell I could see Cowher punching out Santonio if he would become a cancer.

83-Steelers-43
07-30-2006, 09:30 AM
Yea I agree there. Trust me I don't think Cowher would let that happen. Hell I could see Cowher punching out Santonio if he would become a cancer.

Well, I don't think it will get to that point nor do I see Cowher throwing a haymaker at Holmes...lol. In my opinion this kid is on a very short leash and he will be gone before it comes to any type of physical confrontation with players or coaching staff. That's if he becomes a problem.

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Well, I don't think it will get to that point nor do I see Cowher throwing a haymaker at Holmes...lol. In my opinion this kid is on a very short leash and he will be gone before it comes to any type of physical confrontation with players or coaching staff. That's if he becomes a problem.

Yea I was joking about Cowher punching out Holmes. I just know Coach is alittle intense from time to time. Yea I agree Holmes is on a short leash and will be gone if a problem presents itself.

LambertIsGod58
07-30-2006, 09:40 AM
LET'S GIVE THE KID A CHANCE!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
07-30-2006, 09:55 AM
I totally agree with you about sports and how its a great teacher for lessons in life. But thats more at the High School level now. Lets face it even in college sports and of course the pro leauges its all about money and winning. Personally and I'm not trying to tell you how to raise your son. But I wouldn't my son if I had one looking up to these ego maniacs.
I just don't think pro athletes are role models and they are not paid to be. Yea in the past I would say they were. But those days are long gone. So just as long as Santonio stays out of jail and produces on the field. I could care less if he is the biggest jerk in the world.

Your right...I dont need help..doing a fine job on my own. I think I made it clear that my son Doesnt look up to ego maniacs...His favorite players are El (it killed him when he left) and Troy...(cant get much more humble than that.) and even then..I let my kids know that these guys are human and face incredible temptations. The guys who can face those temptations and be humble and down to earth are special.
I would disagree that those days are gone...if a parent is paying attention ...and if you have passed on good convictions to your children...they will seek out the good guys for role models.

83-Steelers-43
07-30-2006, 09:56 AM
LET'S GIVE THE KID A CHANCE!!!

I agree.....

Black@Gold Forever32
07-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Your right...I dont need help..doing a fine job on my own. I think I made it clear that my son Doesnt look up to ego maniacs...His favorite players are El (it killed him when he left) and Troy...(cant get much more humble than that.) and even then..I let my kids know that these guys are human and face incredible temptations. The guys who can face those temptations and be humble and down to earth are special.
I would disagree that those days are gone...if a parent is paying attention ...and if you have passed on good convictions to your children...they will seek out the good guys for role models.

I didn't say you needed help. I don't ever recall suggesting that you did? I just don't think pro athletes are role models and they are not paid to be. True there are still some guys that kids can look up to. But you said your son's favorite was El. Mr. Randle El is a good guy I had the pleasure of meeting him a few years ago. But look he won't retire a Steeler. Thats one of the sad things about pro sports today is players not spending their entire career mostly with one team. Which gets back to my point its all about money and winning.

Charles Barkley said it best years ago.

"Athletes Are Not Role Models"

BlackNGold203
07-30-2006, 10:25 AM
Yesterday's statements by Holmes are another example of how an agent is supposed to earn his pay by doing more than negotiating the contract. It appears that nobody has sat Holmes down and given him a crash course in media relations 101; if someone has done that and Holmes still does not get it then yesterady's session that prompted the rip job by Ron Cook is a preview of more problems to come.

I agree that Holmes is being paid to catch the ball and not be any kind of role model.
That having been said, when he appears to be calling his QB a liar then he is crossing the line from off the field thug and entering the T.O./Plax zone by dissing his teammates.

Hope Holmes had a nice time visiting with Cowher last night - I assume Holmes did more listening than talking :)

Excellent point Dan.....

It's obvious no one coached this kid before this press conference...

And if they did...and he said what he said anyways....then maybe we DO have a potential problem....

Either way...we all know...neither Cowher nor the Rooneys will put up with it.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Once he starts catching TD's im not going to care but with all that is being said....I want to see what his attitude is like after a few days at camp....Coaches and players will get on his ass and straighten him out....

hardwork
07-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Not looking good. First your QB gets in an accident without a helmet on. Then your #1 draft pick calls that QB a liar. The Steelers are in desperate need of leadership from a player, or two, or three.

BlitzburghRockCity
07-30-2006, 01:50 PM
I dont mind alittle arrogance in a player, if you're good and you know it..then so be it. Just prove it on the field every sunday, and every day in camp and during practice in the regular season. He's had a rough life, I'll give him that. Having said that, the dude's gotta realize what he's got in front of him. A chance to be a regular contributor on the defending super bowl champs. A chance to be the main guy opposite Hines in a couple years. The chance to impress upon young atheletes the importance of seizing the moment and not letting an opportunity pass by while you screw it up.

I'll wait and see but right now Im still in his corner till we see what he can do for us.

BlackNGold203
07-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Not looking good. First your QB gets in an accident without a helmet on. Then your #1 draft pick calls that QB a liar. The Steelers are in desperate need of leadership from a player, or two, or three.

yeah..that lady pulling in front of Ben's bike could have totally been avoided if only the Steelers had some leadership...:dang: :dang: :dang:

hardwork
07-30-2006, 03:02 PM
yeah..that lady pulling in front of Ben's bike could have totally been avoided if only the Steelers had some leadership...:dang: :dang: :dang:

Lol, I'm not to sure reason is your strongest card. Try it all again and let me know if it works out better for you.

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 03:23 PM
holmes could be mother teresa in cleats and steelerfans are still gonna rip him when they realize rookie receivers just arent major contributors. hes gonna be lucky to have 3-4 passes thrown his way per game and even luckier to catch more than half of those.

if the fans and media are on a mission to ruin this guy theyre off to a good start. why expect the world from a rookie wr? does anyone really want or expect him to cut into heath's and ward's numbers?

its important to remember the steelers success and offense doesnt revolve around a potential 3rd wr on the depth chart.

WWIIOwheelz
07-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I'm reminded of Plax more than I like right now. I grimaced when he said that about Ben, and it made me ponder that whole situation quite a bit. No matter how I turn it, it's not looking good.

Ben brings a lot of confidence on the field, and the kid will have to perform to earn Ben's respect there. A dropped ball or two is all it will take get him in line.

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 03:37 PM
does everyone forget that ben and plex were tight? and how ben fought to keep him as a steeler?

WWIIOwheelz
07-30-2006, 03:44 PM
Ben's the leader of the team, and I have no doubt he'll get the kid straight on the football field. You are right--- Ben & Plax were buds when he was here. The team got rid of him for a reason, though, and I hope Holmes isn't similar in those ways. Time will tell.

Koopa
07-30-2006, 04:21 PM
i'm liking holmes more and more lol, i like the players ppl don't like. the ppl that don't like him right now will be slobbering all over him when he's winning us game. so he got arrested, who cares??? so he didn't apologize, who cares??? there was never anything to say he's sorry for, he didn't do nothing wrong. and maybe ben was calling the wrong number

Polamalu43
07-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Totally understand your position here......for me it's too early to make up my mind on Holmes. From what I understand he was the best WR in the draft according to some analysts. On top of that, I don't think the Rooneys or Cowher will put up with too much.

im starting 2 think we should have picked up chad jackson instead.

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 04:26 PM

maybe we shoulda just kept fred gibson. granted he sucked, but he didnt get arrested twice.

Koopa
07-30-2006, 04:27 PM

why is that?? did he do something holmes didn't??

LambertIsGod58
07-30-2006, 04:51 PM
I wouldn't mind Chad Jackson at this point....

Koopa
07-30-2006, 06:49 PM
why is that??? holmes didn't do a damn thing wrong, he got arrested for walkin in a street during a holiday weekend, a lot of ppl were getting arrested for no reason, even gilbert arenas got arrested in the same city and weekend............and the second arrest was just his bitch acting out of place lol j/p but now that he has money his bitch starts acting up and makes him look bad..............ben may have been calling the wrong number this whole time, who knows?? the only thing bad about holmes is that he went to OSU. he'll be better then chad jackson.......some of y'all that are pushing the panic button with this dude need to sit down and drink something or maybe take a puff of hbrugh favorite thing lol

Atlanta Dan
07-30-2006, 06:58 PM
why is that??? holmes didn't do a damn thing wrong, he got arrested for walkin in a street during a holiday weekend, a lot of ppl were getting arrested for no reason, even gilbert arenas got arrested in the same city and weekend............and the second arrest was just his bitch acting out of place lol j/p but now that he has money his bitch starts acting up and makes him look bad..............ben may have been calling the wrong number this whole time, who knows?? the only thing bad about holmes is that he went to OSU. he'll be better then chad jackson.......some of y'all that are pushing the panic button with this dude need to sit down and drink something or maybe take a puff of hbrugh favorite thing lol

Ummm - have you read the summaries of the police report? If you have, I hope you are just attempting to provoke a response with your charming gangsta reference to "his bitch acting out of place." The guy is charged with slappping her around, which I believe he did.
Not claiming I know what he did, just a hunch.

I do not care if Holmes has the credentials of Jerry Rice - that is a more than doing "a damn thing wrong" - it is a despicable crime.

Koopa
07-30-2006, 07:18 PM
Ummm - have you read the summaries of the police report? If you have, I hope you are just attempting to provoke a response with your charming gangsta reference to "his bitch acting out of place." The guy is charged with slappping her around, which I believe he did.

I do not care if Holmes has the credentials of Jerry Rice - that is a more than doing "a damn thing wrong" - it is a despicable crime.

yeah cause every police report is the turth :rolleyes: the stupid hoe probably slapped herself around just to get some money out of holmes, we don't know the truth. but if you wanna be blind and act like everything that is reported to the cops is true then go on ahead. and why didn't you quote teh whole thing, you'd see after that sentence you put in quote a "lol j/p"

GoFor6
07-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Charles Johnson
Troy Edwards
Plaxico Burress

Santonio Holmes

The Steelers have invested more #1's on WR in the Cowher era than any other position. Some management teams just can't draft a position and it is obvious these guys can assess WR's. I wish they would just stop trying and invest #1's on O and D line.

By the way - Cowher has never drafted a linebacker # 1 in 16 drafts and this year is the fisrt year that he did draft a single linebacker.

Koopa
07-30-2006, 07:26 PM
plax was good while he was here, sure he choked in big games, but he wasn't the only one that was choking. look at bettis against the colts he choked at the end. and look at ben last year in the afcc he choked, and in the super bowl he choked again. plax was just an when he left. holmes hasn't even stepped on the feild yet and he's already being considered a bust. i can't wait to see y'all act like y'all been on his side the whole time when we're winning and he's playing badass

stlrtruck
07-30-2006, 07:27 PM
You know what, I do care about his attitude. He represents the Steelers and there's never been a player that was kept on the team for making the team look more like the penial system!
If he wants to keep abusing women, disobeying police, and dis-respecting Ben, then I would say that he needs an attitude adjustment. And that can either come by the means of Troy or Joey P. or eventually he can be shipped out!!!
I don't care how "good" he may be as an athlete, he represents a team, and it's not a team that employs criminals!

HometownGal
07-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Innocent until proven guilty and as of this moment, Holmes hasn't been proven guilty of anything but belligerence in refusing to get out of the street down in Florida and mouthing off to a police officer.

The fact that his g/f refuses to testify against him and didn't see fit to go to the hospital that night to have her injuries treated and documented lends suspicion, imho.

Going back to the 2002 season when Jerome Bettis was accused of raping a woman, which story proved to be bogus (The Bus should have punched her in the head for dragging his good name through the mud) - did any of us throw stones at him before we knew the real deal? Of course we all knew, or should have known, that Jerome was a man of integrity and character, but the concept is the same, I believe. Personally, I don't give a rat's patoot if he didn't return Ben's phone calls. As much as I love Ben, his credibility has been shaken a bit due to his own recent violations of the law and the several different excuses he has provided as to the helmet issue, so who knows what the real story is and quite frankly, why should we care? As long as the two of them have a good field and locker room rapport, that's all I'm really concerned about. Just a gut here, but I think this kid is going to turn it around and work hard to become the asset to the team that the Steelers believe he can be.

"NobodyBelievedInUsButUs"
07-30-2006, 07:34 PM
I feel this is slowly turning into the T.O and Donovan situation. Donovan tried to reach out to T.O. and yet, T.O. stabbed him in the back.. Yea, we do not know what goes on "behind the scenes" or whatnot but the point is he needs to grow up. He has alot to prove to me and the team.

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Charles Johnson
Troy Edwards
Plaxico Burress

Santonio Holmes

The Steelers have invested more #1's on WR in the Cowher era than any other position. Some management teams just can't draft a position and it is obvious these guys can assess WR's. I wish they would just stop trying and invest #1's on O and D line.

By the way - Cowher has never drafted a linebacker # 1 in 16 drafts and this year is the fisrt year that he did draft a single linebacker.

this isnt a steelers problem. alot of 1st round wr's end up sucking:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

heres the wr's taken in the 1st rounds between 93-03 in the order they were picked. i only went up to 03 cause rookie wr usually need 3 years before theyre worth a crap anyways. this list of 42 wr pretty much looks like a list of whos who amongst wr busts. take out moulds, moss, harrison, galloway, glenn, keyshawn, plex, s. moss, j. walker and a johnson. (the 25% of 1st rounders turned out to be anything). only 1 year was there a better than 50% success rate- 96. i really liked the 97 draftclass, where teams batted .000. (steelers themselves have drafted 3 during this period and onl one really panned out and that was plex. hes gone and was never the leading wr. this says alot.

c. conway
s. dawkins
oj mcduffie

charles johnson
j. morton
tomas lewis
derrick alexander

m. westbrook
j. galloway
jj stokes

keyshawn
t. glenn