PDA

View Full Version : Wexell reports Mendenhall looked "fantastic" at Mondays practice

tony hipchest
09-04-2012, 02:26 PM
...via twitter. also check his non subscription article wrapping up todays tomlin presser-

http://pit.scout.com/2/1218050.html

As reported, Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall elevated the Steelers’ practice tempo Monday to warp speed. On Tuesday, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that both, along with outside linebacker James Harrison, could start ...

... in the season opener Sunday night at Denver.
“I’ll leave the door open for all of them,” said Tomlin. “We’ll see how they respond to the workload.”

Of the three, Mendenhall was the biggest surprise at Monday’s practice. His burst and long speed had the defensive players buzzing.

“He looked incredible,” said Brett Keisel.

“I thought he looked great. He was running well, finishing runs. I’m excited for him,” said Lawrence Timmons.

The Steelers’ timetable did not have Mendenhall returning this early from his torn ACL only 8 months ago, but he’s now in the running with Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer for the starting job this week

also probably the tomlin quote of the year thus far as to why he kept 3 qb's on the 53 man roster-

“There’s always discussion in today’s NFL whether you go with two or three. I find comfort in three,” Tomlin said. “When I walk up and down these hallways and look at pictures of the ’70s Steelers, they had 45-man rosters and I saw three quarterbacks on those pictures. So that’s a little bit of a history lesson for me.”

StainlessStill
09-04-2012, 02:35 PM
If there was a time to be shocked, this is it. I'm shocked right now. Having Mendy in the lineup would REEK of greatness. Our depth just got 10X better.

tony hipchest
09-04-2012, 02:38 PM
just the fact that he is even running fast is great news. with that being said, i hope we dont need to push it for 5-6 weeks.

pancake
09-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow! Didn't see his coming...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-04-2012, 03:17 PM
Consider that week 4 is a bye, could his being back by the 4th game of the season be almost a lock?? Wow.

But alas, .............he dances too much. :rolleyes:

Jpeezyiseternal
09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/04/door-is-still-open-for-injured-players/

Mendenhall hasn't been ruled out for week 1? I was reading that his earliest return would be November.....

pancake
09-04-2012, 03:59 PM

Mendenhall hasn't been ruled out for week 1? I was reading that his earliest return would be November.....

There is already a thread on this, but I'm also shocked!

pete74
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I hope he dosnt play. I'm eager to see what Dwyer can do. I'm not a huge Mendenhall fan

GoFor7
09-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I doubt he plays for a few weeks at least.

Steel_Bus_24
09-04-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah...I don't remember guys coming off an ACL this fast who were at positions who use so much agility

I know this is Mendenhalls contract year, but I hope he does the smart thing an gets his proper rest/rehab

Im in the camp that believes Mendenhall has been held back by our atrocious OL over the recent years.....And I hope some way some how I get to see a healthy Mendenhall run with our new OL

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

Fire Arians
09-04-2012, 05:13 PM
mendenhall would be the star he was meant to be in the right system. haley's philosophy is perfect for him, get him in space in the passing game and he could be one of those brian westbroook type of players (but bigger and faster)

FrancoLambert
09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
:thumbsup:
Great news, and its good to see more fans appreciating what he brings to the backfield.
Breakaway speed and power.......a nice combination of both.
The "dancing" label is just that.....most can be attributed to an ineffective O-line.
This may be the year when our offense is very capable of bailing out our D on a consistent basis whether it be due to injury or performance. :tt04:

TheDoctorBeat
09-04-2012, 05:46 PM
It's good to see him running again, it's nice to have one of our weapons healthy for a change. Do you guys think his performance will be affected by the O-line shuffle we're doing with all our injuries?

FrancoLambert
09-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah...I don't remember guys coming off an ACL this fast who were at positions who use so much agility

I know this is Mendenhalls contract year, but I hope he does the smart thing an gets his proper rest/rehab

Im in the camp that believes Mendenhall has been held back by our atrocious OL over the recent years.....And I hope some way some how I get to see a healthy Mendenhall run with our new OL

Starks-Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert

I'm camping out with you.
The great majority of criticism regarding his tendency to "dance" was mis-directed.
The O line was the guilty party.

teegre
09-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Consider that week 4 is a bye, could his being back by the 4th game of the season be almost a lock?? Wow.

But alas, .............he dances too much. :rolleyes:

Wow, indeed.

As far as dancing goes... you & I have discussed this ad nauseum. [I prefer Ray Rice... yadda-yadda-yadda... neither of us convincing the other.] THAT SAID, I just hope that he doesn't try to come back too quickly.

Cut.. pop... end of career. I really would rather he sit until November (against the Ravens-Bengals-Ravens).

Bayz101
09-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Just like DeCastro, I only want him back at 100%. Not for performance reasons, but for his health.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-04-2012, 07:24 PM

Shocked....? Mendenhall....what?

Sorry, your signature photo...distracted me and made me lose my train of thought.

tanda10506
09-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Just like DeCastro, I only want him back at 100%. Not for performance reasons, but for his health.

This ^

MasterOfPuppets
09-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Steelers Rashard Mendenhall: Dancing Too Much? Not So Fast!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/10/3/2466542/steelers-rashard-mendenhall-dancing-too-much-not-so-fast

xbroughneck
09-04-2012, 09:51 PM
People can dislike Mendy all they want.

Other than Rainey, who else at the RB spot won't get caught from behind when they get to the second level? Batch, Redman..neither are home run guys. Mendy is a home run guy. Hope he can come back this year and stay healthy.

Atlanta Dan
09-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Great - maybe he can convert to linebacker

Fire Arians
09-04-2012, 10:52 PM
People can dislike Mendy all they want.

Other than Rainey, who else at the RB spot won't get caught from behind when they get to the second level? Batch, Redman..neither are home run guys. Mendy is a home run guy. Hope he can come back this year and stay healthy.

Dwyer, not as fast as mendy but still enough speed to break long gainers

Hawaii 5-0
09-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Steelers Notebook: Mike Wallace and Rashard Mendenhall might play in opener

By Chris Adamski | CBSSports.com
September 4, 2012

The Steelers sustained numerous major injuries at the end of last season, have a lengthy PUP list, nasty-looking injuries in preseason games and one very prominent and lengthy holdout.

Yet here they are, five days before the season opener, and coach Mike Tomlin has only ruled out two players for injury-related reasons for the Sunday night game at Denver.

Rookie G David DeCastro (knee) and reserve LB Stevenson Sylvester (knee) will not play against the Broncos, Tomlin said Tuesday. Tomlin also said starting FS Ryan Clark will be held out of the game, as expected, because he has the sickle cell trait in his blood that is exacerbated by high altitude.

Tomlin wouldn't rule out LB James Harrison (knee), LB Jason Worilds (wrist), RB Rashard Mendenhall (knee) and RB Isaac Redman (ankle) after each of them made it through practice -- to varying degrees -- Monday.

"Some of those guys... are closer to returning than others, but we are going to monitor their progress and make the decision as we push forward through the week," Tomlin said. "We will base our determination on how they respond to the work."

It would be shocking if Mendenhall played. He is recovering from tearing his right ACL in the regular season finale Jan. 1 in Cleveland, came off the PUP list late in camp and did not appear in any preseason games.

Of course, neither have Worilds and Harrison, who were eligible to practice for the first time Monday. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette tweeted that Harrison gave a thumbs-up when asked how his knee responded to the workout 24 hours later.

Specifically speaking about Harrison, Tomlin said, "The issue is just whether or not he gets a clean bill of health from our medical staff. He has to this point in terms of being able to practice. We'll see how his body responds to that work and let that be a determinant about how we move forward."

Redman was anointed the starter in Mendenhall's stead but has had an injury-riddled preseason that included a groin/hip injury before the ankle ailment. He did not practice Monday.

Dwyer on Tomlin's good side: If Redman is limited, expect to see more of RB Jonathan Dwyer. Dwyer reported to camp in better shape than he had in his previous two seasons and has been virtually the only Steelers running back to avoid any question of health over the past six weeks.

"He's a young man that I believe is maturing," Tomlin said. "There's a certain level of growth and maturity from a personal standpoint. The more obvious observation is that he is in better physical condition than he has been in the past."

Hampton no longer a concern? Throughout training camp, even as he wasn't practicing and even as another injury (left elbow) crept up, NT Casey Hampton assured anyone that would listen that he would be fine.

Less than eight months after tearing the ACL in his left knee, apparently Hampton is.

"He participated, and he participated in an above-the-line fashion in the last preseason game," Tomlin said in response to why Hampton wasn't listed among his injured players. "We haven't looked back with Casey."

Wallace's first practice "pretty productive": Tomlin was pleased with how WR Mike Wallace looked Monday in his first practice since ending his holdout last week.

"I was generally positively impressed with his general, overall understanding of what it is he needs to do," Tomlin said. "No. 2, I think he displayed a decent level of overall physical conditioning. Obviously, that practice setting and that limited practice setting is not football games; it is not a hostile environment, it's not NFL stadiums, so we'll temper that excitement."

When asked if Wallace has a chance to start Sunday, Tomlin said, "I didn't see anything yesterday that would lead me to believe that's not a possibility."

Lewis, Allen both draw praise from Tomlin: Tomlin refused to come out and say it, but CB Keenan Lewis earned the starting spot vacated by William Gay's departure via free agency. But Lewis' primary competition for the job, CB Cortez Allen, also showed he was capable of handling the duty.

In today's NFL, both players will play extensively. Tomlin had kind words to say about the development of both the fourth-year Lewis and the second-year Allen.

Tomlin said Lewis looks the best he's seen him. "He's done a nice job here in this preseason in working and playing good, sound, technical football," Tomlin said.

Tomlin said Allen "has grown by leaps and bounds."

Makin' it Rainey on returns: Tomlin confirmed what the team's official depth chart told us about RB Chris Rainey -- that he is the Steelers' primary punt and kick retainer.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20049751/steelers-notebook-mike-wallace-and-rashard-mendenhall-might-play-in-opener

jiminpa
09-05-2012, 12:55 AM
I'm in the camp that the horrible OC made Mendy look bad, and is why he had to dance so much. I too hope he doesn't come back too soon. I like a healthy Redman and Mendy, and if they are both healthy and have an OC not trying to get them killed plus Ben, and the receivers we have--what does a defense cover? Crowd the line we go over your head. Play back we march it on down on 1st downs. Walk around and don't declare we mix it up and come at you. Yep, it could be a good year to be a Steelers fan. No wait, it's always a good year to be a Steelers fan. This could be a great year to be a Steelers fan.

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 01:18 AM
No wait, it's always a good year to be a Steelers fan.

:tt02: :tt03: :thumbsup:

http://lennthompson.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341d0dbb53ef010536ff723e970b-500wi

BowCatShot
09-05-2012, 08:58 AM
Great news, and its good to see more fans appreciating what he brings to the backfield.
Breakaway speed and power.......a nice combination of both.
The "dancing" label is just that.....most can be attributed to an ineffective O-line.
This may be the year when our offense is very capable of bailing out our D on a consistent basis whether it be due to injury or performance. :tt04:

Frankly, I never saw the breakaway speed that you're referring to. When he did manage to stumble into the clear it seems to me that he was always easily run down and tackled from behind. Hopefully I'm wrong and I, coincidentally, was always going to the fridge for another beer when he did his dazzling. We'll see.

Steelersfan87
09-05-2012, 09:16 AM
Falcons and Saints games in 2010?

GoFor7
09-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Don't expect Mendenhall to play at all. This is likely gamesmanship from the Steelers - making the Broncos prepare for potentially 5 different RBs. He may dress and take warm ups, but I doubt he plays.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Wow, indeed.

As far as dancing goes... you & I have discussed this ad nauseum. [I prefer Ray Rice... yadda-yadda-yadda... neither of us convincing the other.] THAT SAID, I just hope that he doesn't try to come back too quickly.

Cut.. pop... end of career. I really would rather he sit until November (against the Ravens-Bengals-Ravens).

I like Ray Rice as a RB, I just think those that criticize Mendenhall as "dancing too much" are as biased as the group that say "Arians threw bubble screens on 3rd down all the time".

Mendenhall is a cutback runner that is patient in picking a hole. When the Steelers O lines of the past had opened no holes.....he eventually gets tackled plowing into the line or from behind.

I would be concerned if he came back too soon, but think if he has a FB lead or a better O- line scheme of blocking, that he will have a great year. Loss of DeCastro hurts more than we like to think.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d81329589/WK-4-Rashard-Mendenhall-highlights

This game shows it all. Todd Haley really hopes he can have this guy back soon.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
you know, that score was too close for comfort, typical Arians play-calling:chuckle:

tony hipchest
09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Todd Haley really hopes he can have this guy back soon.

HAmo86-0PuI

his knee checks out... all systems a go! :thumbsup:

(bayz, this post really needs the todd haley GIF...insert here)

LVSteelersfan
09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
My problem with Mendenhall is that he does not seem to have the vision to find the holes even when they are there. Redman finds a seam when there is no hole and runs straight ahead and makes a gain every time. Mendy seems to be afraid to just dive in there forward and get at least some yardage. He does have a burst of speed but we have rarely seen it over the years. I think it is due quite a bit to the Oline. If that moron Arians would have used RUNNING BACK screens perhaps it would have slowed the all out assault on Ben and Mendenhall would have been a superstar. We shall see how Mendy does with a few well timed screen passes.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 12:13 PM
if what some of the Steelers players are saying was true, that they weren't practice run-plays as often as they should have been, then I don't care if you put Marshall Faulk in his prime with a ton of open space out there, it won't consistently work

Mendenhall has been guilty of dancing, the o-line's been below average to average at best, no matter who is back there, I'll put my faith in the idea that Haley will succeed where Arians failed in playing to our strengths and against the enemy's weakness

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
HAmo86-0PuI

his knee checks out... all systems a go! :thumbsup:

(bayz, this post really needs the todd haley GIF...insert here)

I see Redman in that video, but I think Ben was definately shocked by Mendenhall's "suddeness and glide". :doh:

Fire Haley
09-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Welcome back Mendy, just being in uniform on the sidelines would be a great sign

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=fjJxq u32QqS9zy97slFROs$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYs5_BghSdIhkJy 0ApmllHA1WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

GoFor7
09-05-2012, 01:04 PM
if what some of the Steelers players are saying was true, that they weren't practice run-plays as often as they should have been, then I don't care if you put Marshall Faulk in his prime with a ton of open space out there, it won't consistently work

Mendenhall has been guilty of dancing, the o-line's been below average to average at best, no matter who is back there, I'll put my faith in the idea that Haley will succeed where Arians failed in playing to our strengths and against the enemy's weakness

Me too. I just hope fans don't get their panties in a bunch if that happens to call for more passing.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 01:32 PM
we've all thrown our hats into the conversation regarding 3 yards and a cloud of dust - those days are long gone

Now, if Haley has us running down someone's throat to much success because they are vulnerable to it, then fine.

If Haley knows we can win by slinging the ball, then that's fine.

If Haley thinks we can win by doing a little of both, then that's fine too. I don't care, I just know what good situational football and game planning looks like, and hopefully, we'll start seeing some of that come to fruition

teegre
09-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Me too. I just hope fans don't get their panties in a bunch if that happens to call for more passing.

Brother, no one is asking for fifteen straight run plays. But, what we'd like to see that is if the Steelers indeed wanted to call a running play, that they've actually practiced it. And, likewise, running when they want to and/or need to... such as: occassionally, on 3rd & inches, maybe running the ball is better than passing to Matt Spaeth.

Arians was here: pass, pass, deep pass, deeper pass, QB run, bubble screen, pass, bubble screen, pass, bubble screen.

The Bettis days were here (note: mostly due to a lack of a QB): run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, hail mary.

I forsee Haley being somewhere in the middle: run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, run, run.

Fire Arians
09-05-2012, 03:18 PM
i wanna see more of that chris rainey action in the reg season

GoFor7
09-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Brother, no one is asking for fifteen straight run plays. But, what we'd like to see that is if the Steelers indeed wanted to call a running play, that they've actually practiced it. And, likewise, running when they want to and/or need to... such as: occassionally, on 3rd & inches, maybe running the ball is better than passing to Matt Spaeth.

Arians was here: pass, pass, deep pass, deeper pass, QB run, bubble screen, pass, bubble screen, pass, bubble screen.

The Bettis days were here (note: mostly due to a lack of a QB): run, run, run, run, run, run, run, run, hail mary.

I forsee Haley being somewhere in the middle: run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, run, run.

Anyone remember the game against Green Bay in the regular season 3 years ago? Final score 37-36, Ben throws for 503 yards, 3TDs - including the game winner to Wallace in the final seconds. No turnovers in that game from either team. Over the next few days, watching recaps on local TV and listening to radio, etc, there were fans complaining about the game. But they weren't complaining about the defense ineptitude in that game, and not even so much Tomlin's silly on-side kick call.

The complaint was the Steelers didn't run the ball enough. :doh:

Nevermind your superstar QB threw for over 500 yards and the offense had one of it's most explosive games in a while! And nevermind 37 points was the bare minimum needed to win that game! They didn't play 70's smashmouth! Not good enough from the offense!

I know not everyone who roots for the black and gold is stuck in the 70's yinzer smashmouth era, but there's definitely a vocal section of Steeler Nation that's enamored with it. They can't go of the team from the 70's (which is funny, because in the latter part of that dynasty the Steelers were more of an offensive passing team than a defensive, smashmouth team). Perhaps they don't want the QB to look bigger than the rest of the team (too late, he already is). Or perhaps there's just a large disdain for the way offenses have opened up in the NFL.

FrancoLambert
09-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Frankly, I never saw the breakaway speed that you're referring to. When he did manage to stumble into the clear it seems to me that he was always easily run down and tackled from behind. Hopefully I'm wrong and I, coincidentally, was always going to the fridge for another beer when he did his dazzling. We'll see.

Check out the playoff games during our last run to the Super Bowl.
Watch # 34 carefully, you'll see some "run away from tacklers" speed.
That's what he (hopefully still) has that Redman doesn't.
Look, he doesn't have the "dazzling" speed of a Darren Sproles or Chris Rainey.
But, if healthy, for a power back his speed is significantly above average.

FrancoLambert
09-05-2012, 05:58 PM
i wanna see more of that chris rainey action in the reg season

^^^^^^^^^^
This and more. I want to see him split out some, lined up as a WR.
Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Rainey.....that's a lot of speed and quickness to account for.

Fire Haley
09-05-2012, 06:25 PM
more good news...

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Mendenhall, who got rave reviews from the Steelers after Monday’s practice, went through a full practice with the team again on Wednesday.

That includes 11-on-11 drills, practice time that is usually reserved for players that are expected to play a role in that week’s game.

Per Bouchette, Mendenhall wore no brace or band on his knee as he went through the session.

teegre
09-05-2012, 06:33 PM
Anyone remember the game against Green Bay in the regular season 3 years ago? Final score 37-36, Ben throws for 503 yards, 3TDs - including the game winner to Wallace in the final seconds. No turnovers in that game from either team. Over the next few days, watching recaps on local TV and listening to radio, etc, there were fans complaining about the game. But they weren't complaining about the defense ineptitude in that game, and not even so much Tomlin's silly on-side kick call.

The complaint was the Steelers didn't run the ball enough. :doh:

Nevermind your superstar QB threw for over 500 yards and the offense had one of it's most explosive games in a while! And nevermind 37 points was the bare minimum needed to win that game! They didn't play 70's smashmouth! Not good enough from the offense!

I know not everyone who roots for the black and gold is stuck in the 70's yinzer smashmouth era, but there's definitely a vocal section of Steeler Nation that's enamored with it. They can't go of the team from the 70's (which is funny, because in the latter part of that dynasty the Steelers were more of an offensive passing team than a defensive, smashmouth team). Perhaps they don't want the QB to look bigger than the rest of the team (too late, he already is). Or perhaps there's just a large disdain for the way offenses have opened up in the NFL.

1. I didn't hear those types complaints... but, I live on the west coast.

1-a. I am sure that Steelers fans did indeed complain. My father complians if the opposing offense gets even one first down in a game. Steelers fans want perfection. We are an unhappy bunch. Ever been to Stillers.com? Five minutes after the finish to SuperBowl XLIII, they were complaining... "Dick LeBlow almost gave away the game... yadda-yadda-yadda..." I tried to retort by telling them to savor (possibly) the best ending to a SuperBowl ever... and they chased me away with their pessimism. Some people are destined to not be happy. I call them Steelers fans.

2. Interesting thing about that GB game: it is the only game that I have missed in nearly twenty years. [Note: I technically watched a Browns game, in late 2005, while suffering from the flu... but, I don't remember ANY of what transpired.]

Anyway... that GB game was delayed, due to the snow. So, when I got to my parents' house, to watch the game, as I usally do... it is not on until later. ARGH!!! And, my wife had invited a bunch of people over at 2:00 (the games out here end at 1:30ish). Ergo, I missed the game... and that amazing ending. [Note: the ending was not as good as SuperBowl XLIII, but only because it was not a SuperBowl. Speaking of which...]

2-a. I thought that SuperBowl XLV was going to end the same way as the 2009 GB game: a last second (literally) TD to Wallace for the win. I thought, in my head, "I missed that regular season game, by being a good husband, and the football Gods are going to reward me." Alas...

3. Again, no one (no one sane) wants to see run, run, run for run's sake. We would like to see more running when the Steelers want (and/or need) to run. If the ILB is playing ten yards deep, run. If the ILB is crowding the LOS, pass. Flexibility... as opposed to running the same bubble screen five times in a row.

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Rashard Mendenhall steps closer to playing

Posted by Josh Alper on September 5, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/350x25-e1346879873211.jpg?w=183

No one gave Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall much chance of making it back from a torn ACL in time to play in the Steelers’ season opener, but he took a big step toward doing just that on Wednesday.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Mendenhall, who got rave reviews from the Steelers after Monday’s practice, went through a full practice with the team again on Wednesday. That includes 11-on-11 drills, practice time that is usually reserved for players that are expected to play a role in that week’s game. Per Bouchette, Mendenhall wore no brace or band on his knee as he went through the session.

Getting back on the field after having surgery to repair his injury in January would be awully fast, but Mendenhall has been taking steps faster than anticipated all throughout the offseason. There were fears that he’d miss the entire season then that he would start the year on the PUP list. Even when he was activated from the PUP list, the thought was that Mendenhall would be a bystander for the first few weeks of the season.

Now it looks like Mendenhall’s got a shot at playing against the Broncos. Or at least that the Steelers want the Broncos to think he’s got a shot at playing. We’d say he’s likely to play a supporting role to Jonathan Dwyer or Isaac Redman if he does play, but, at this point, it’s probably best to just wait and see what Mendenhall can do next.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/05/rashard-mendenhall-steps-closer-to-playing/

wera176
09-06-2012, 12:12 PM
..I just know what good situational football and game planning looks like, and hopefully, we'll start seeing some of that come to fruition

^ This :applaudit:

And can we please, for the love of all that is Black and Gold, BLOW some teams out once in a while? Run up the damn score, I don't care. I hate hoping the D can hold on, or that we can get this 1st down (which we usually didn't under Brucey) seemingly every week.

35-10 with 4-5 minutes to go sounds damn good to me.... :tt03: I'm getting old, the stress is gonna kill me! :flap:

BowCatShot
09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
^ This :applaudit:

And can we please, for the love of all that is Black and Gold, BLOW some teams out once in a while? Run up the damn score, I don't care. I hate hoping the D can hold on, or that we can get this 1st down (which we usually didn't under Brucey) seemingly every week.

35-10 with 4-5 minutes to go sounds damn good to me.... :tt03: I'm getting old, the stress is gonna kill me! :flap:

When that happens all of the non Steeler fans tv viewers change channels to another game. Advertisers lose revenue. Ultimately the nfl loses money. Can't allow that.

Hawaii 5-0
09-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Rashard Mendenhall Closing in on Return; Other Injury News

by Steelblitz

As everyone knows Rashard Mendenhall tore his ACL in a week 17 win last season. During the pre-season the Steelers were hoping Mendenhall would be able to return during the 2012 season, period. Then things got more optimistic as the Steelers planned to have him back by the mid-point of the season. By the time week 1 rolled around some thought Mendenhall may have had a shot at playing in the game, he didn’t. However, as he continues to progress it looks as though he could very well be back in week 5.

The Steelers have the Bye in week 4 which will give Mendenhall about two and a half weeks to get ready. He has began taking contact in practice and coaches have been praising him for his play so far. Adrian Peterson, who is also recovering from a major knee injury, has returned with positive results. Mendenhall is hoping to do the same.

With the Steelers issues in the run game they are hoping Mendenhall can return soon and provide a spark for the offense. As of now the Steelers have three of there best players out due to injury in Mendenhall, All-Pro linebacker James Harrison, and All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu. With, a hopefully, easy match-up against the Oakland Raiders in week 3 and the Bye in week 4 it seems likely that all three will sit on Sunday and rest for the week 5 match-up back in Pittsburgh against the Philadelphia Eagles. The Steelers, of course, could have other plans however.

Other Injury News:

Troy Polamalu and James Harrison missed practice, which was expected. Also missing were Heath Miller, Jonathan Dwyer, Marcus Gilbert, Emmanuel Sanders, and Mike Wallace. Stevenson Sylvester and Mike Adams were each limited in practice which is a good sign for Sylvester who has been out since part way through training camp.

Gilbert, Dwyer, Wallace, Sanders, and Miller are all expected to play Sunday and were likely just getting time off early in the week.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/rashard_mendenhall_closing_in_on_return_other_inju ry_news/11759302

Galax Steeler
09-21-2012, 05:04 AM
Get better Mendy and we will see you in week 5.

TRH
09-21-2012, 08:17 AM
I'm not a big fan of Mendenhall and i don't even place him in the top 10 backs in this league, even healthy, BUT....

We absolutely, positively, need to get a running game going and get it going NOW. If we don't, we're going to continue to look at 3rd downs (which the rate of conversion success we're running now is never going to last), and Ben is going to start running for his life again (which we started to see shades of in the Jet game).
Haley's passing offense needs a strong run game to survive, even if we don't run often.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm not a big fan of Mendenhall and i don't even place him in the top 10 backs in this league, even healthy, BUT....

We absolutely, positively, need to get a running game going and get it going NOW. If we don't, we're going to continue to look at 3rd downs (which the rate of conversion success we're running now is never going to last), and Ben is going to start running for his life again (which we started to see shades of in the Jet game).
Haley's passing offense needs a strong run game to survive, even if we don't run often.

Dont worry, Redman will soon show his suddeness and glide. That will solve everything....or the fans will tout Dwyer as the next Bettis. :toofunny:

ricardisimo
09-21-2012, 01:38 PM
I've been saying for two years now that Mendy is our most talented back, hands-down. My opinion has not changed. I'm hoping that in a few weeks time he gives some fans ample reason to issue apologies and retractions here and elsewhere.

EbonySteel86
09-21-2012, 02:24 PM
I was hoping to see Mendy during the Oakland game. Would of been a good game to see if he ok. If Bush can run on this team, Mendy would have a field day!