PDA

View Full Version : Steelers too OLD... here we go again

teegre
09-04-2012, 03:18 PM
I listen to Colin Cowherd daily (hour & a half commute). He is usually pretty fair... and accurate. He respects the Steelers... has mentioned how he wishes that he grew up in Pittsburgh, so that he'd be a Steelers fan.

Anyway...

He was talking about the "window closing" for the Steelers, because they are getting old.

BB is an old 30 (I agree with that... but, even then, BB has 5 more years left in him).

Troy, Ryan Clark, & Ike Taylor are all over 30. (Again, I agree.)

Harrison is 32... and often injured. (Agreed)

Now... here is where he falls into the pitfall that other talking heads normally dive into. [I am surprised, because CC is usally more "researched" in hyis statements.]

Brett Keisel & Casey Hampton are over 30. (Cameron Hayward & Steve McClendon are young.)

Max Starks is over 30... and often injured. (I can kind of agree, but the rest of the O-line is young... and Mike Adams could still pan out.)

Heath Miller is 29 (Tight ends can play until they are 35; not worried.)

Let's look at the starters:

BB - 30
Heath - 29
Starks - 30
The Colon: 27
DD, Pouncey, Gilbert, & Adams: young, young, young, young.
Brown, Sanders, Wallace: young
RBs: All of them are young.

Troy, Clark, & Ike: 30+
Lewis, Allen, & Brown: young, young, young.
Harrison: 32
Woodley, Timmons: young
Spence/Sly: young
Heyward & Hood: young
McClendon & Ta'amu: young

I remember people worried when Greg Lloyd got cut (enter Jason Gildon). I remember when people worried that Gildon was too old (enter Joey Porter). I remember when Joey Porter got too old (enter James Harrison). Chris Carter has looked good... and gets better with every game/every day of coaching. Cortez Allen looks like Ike Taylor, part II. No one will ever replace Troy... but, then again, people also thought that no one could ever replace Carnell Lake.

Yes, some of the key names that we all know & love are getting old, but there are young, talented players aplenty, waiting in the wings.

BB is the only "irreplaceable" player... and, like I said, he has 5 more years left in him. Heck, I'd be fine with 3 more years: a three-peat, followed by retirement (at 33).

pancake
09-04-2012, 03:30 PM
Steelers don't rebuild, they reload!

Steelerfreak58
09-04-2012, 03:31 PM
Too old too slow yup yup yup yadda yadda yadda..... they gotta attempt to shoot the best D in the league down some how.

Fire Arians
09-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Too old too slow yup yup yup yadda yadda yadda..... they gotta attempt to shoot the best D in the league down some how.

better offense this year will make it not necessary to have the best defense. but that will be a cherry on top :thumbsup:

the only thing that concerns me about this team is how healthy we can stay. if we can avoid any major injuries this season we will be a championship contender

FrancoLambert
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
better offense this year will make it not necessary to have the best defense. but that will be a cherry on top :thumbsup:

the only thing that concerns me about this team is how healthy we can stay. if we can avoid any major injuries this season we will be a championship contender

YES!!
With the offensive weapons we have this year, this could be the year when our O will be able to bail out the D on a consistent basis.

Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotch, Heath, Redman, Rainey, a healthy Mendy, mature Ben....if the O-line does its job and we stay healthy, watch out. :tt03:

TheDoctorBeat
09-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Ryan Clark and Ike Taylor might be old in football years, but they've been pretty consistently healthy. They'll hold up for a few more years.

I'm worried about Troy though, he's been banged up pretty bad the past couple of years.

teegre
09-04-2012, 05:47 PM

For this year... and the years upcoming, the offense will be betetr than the defense. BB is hitting his prime, and has some serious weapons at his disposal.

Health is a major factor... this year, and in the immediate future. BB has to stay healhty. A good O-line helps with this. DD coming back next year, helps with this. BB learning from Haley to throw more quickly (dump off to the RB), helps with this.

tanda10506
09-04-2012, 06:25 PM
:blah::blah::blah: . Doesn't matter how many young guys replace older players, the Steelers will be called old till every player that was around for the 2008 SB retires. It's the new in thing for commentators. When they start talking about the age of Baltimore like they do us might start gaining some credibility, as for now, it's becoming a cliche.

GoFor7
09-04-2012, 06:41 PM
"Old, slow, and done..... that's what coach Gruden told me when Tampa Bay let me go in free agency."
- Warren Sapp

jiminpa
09-04-2012, 11:32 PM
I listen to Colin Cowherd daily (hour & a half commute). He is usually pretty fair... and accurate. He respects the Steelers... has mentioned how he wishes that he grew up in Pittsburgh, so that he'd be a Steelers fan.

Anyway...

He was talking about the "window closing" for the Steelers, because they are getting old.

BB is an old 30 (I agree with that... but, even then, BB has 5 more years left in him).

Troy, Ryan Clark, & Ike Taylor are all over 30. (Again, I agree.)

Harrison is 32... and often injured. (Agreed)

Now... here is where he falls into the pitfall that other talking heads normally dive into. [I am surprised, because CC is usally more "researched" in hyis statements.]

Brett Keisel & Casey Hampton are over 30. (Cameron Hayward & Steve McClendon are young.)

Max Starks is over 30... and often injured. (I can kind of agree, but the rest of the O-line is young... and Mike Adams could still pan out.)

Heath Miller is 29 (Tight ends can play until they are 35; not worried.)

Let's look at the starters:

BB - 30
Heath - 29
Starks - 30
The Colon: 27
DD, Pouncey, Gilbert, & Adams: young, young, young, young.
Brown, Sanders, Wallace: young
RBs: All of them are young.

Troy, Clark, & Ike: 30+
Lewis, Allen, & Brown: young, young, young.
Harrison: 32
Woodley, Timmons: young
Spence/Sly: young
Heyward & Hood: young
McClendon & Ta'amu: young

I remember people worried when Greg Lloyd got cut (enter Jason Gildon). I remember when people worried that Gildon was too old (enter Joey Porter). I remember when Joey Porter got too old (enter James Harrison). Chris Carter has looked good... and gets better with every game/every day of coaching. Cortez Allen looks like Ike Taylor, part II. No one will ever replace Troy... but, then again, people also thought that no one could ever replace Carnell Lake.

Yes, some of the key names that we all know & love are getting old, but there are young, talented players aplenty, waiting in the wings.

BB is the only "irreplaceable" player... and, like I said, he has 5 more years left in him. Heck, I'd be fine with 3 more years: a three-peat, followed by retirement (at 33).I disagree about Ben being irreplaceable, to this extent, he can be replaced if enough effort is put into it, but it's not time yet. I just hope he can be coached now. We really haven't seen what he is capable of yet, if he will buy into an offense that will use him properly. He's had problems with that in the past.

jiminpa
09-04-2012, 11:35 PM

the only thing that concerns me about this team is how healthy we can stay. if we can avoid any major injuries this season we will be a championship contenderLove that comment. Dead on, IMHO.

Millers the sh!t
09-05-2012, 04:59 AM
I disagree about Ben being irreplaceable, to this extent, he can be replaced if enough effort is put into it, but it's not time yet. I just hope he can be coached now. We really haven't seen what he is capable of yet, if he will buy into an offense that will use him properly. He's had problems with that in the past.

The Ben ive seen this pre season looks like the Ben I saw against the pats last year. The one game that stands out that shows me he was coached and there was an actual offensive gameplan.

Rockonsteel
09-05-2012, 07:20 AM

What's really crazy about that is, this is probably THE most speed this team has had overall, on both sides of the ball, EVER! RB, WR, CB, LB, S all have guys that are in the upper tier of their respective peer groups in terms of speed. Even TE, when you include Saunders. The overall team speed of the current Steelers is easily top 5, and I don't think it's debatable, (long as you don't let Hamp and Ryan Clark run....:chuckle:). But that would take a little digging to find that out.

And as far being too old, they've done a great job of infusing youth into most of the key positions (save for safety and backup QB) over the last few years. But, you would really have to, you know, like, be paying attention or something to know that.

This "old" perception of the Steelers is really just another example of lazy sports journalism.

Rockon

teegre
09-05-2012, 07:57 AM
I disagree about Ben being irreplaceable, to this extent, he can be replaced if enough effort is put into it, but it's not time yet. I just hope he can be coached now. We really haven't seen what he is capable of yet, if he will buy into an offense that will use him properly. He's had problems with that in the past.

Since 1980...

SuperBowls this far WITH BB: two.
SuoerBowls without BB: zero.

Yes, he "can" be replaced... by trading up for an Andrew Luck type of player. Elite QBs are extremely difficult to come by. There are about 24 teams still looking for one.

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 08:30 AM
If we go by the media's opinion on the state of all NFL teams, every season, for AT LEAST the past 5 seasons:

5. The Patriots are a lock to win the Super Bowl
4. The Giants are not a playoff contender
3. The Cowboys are finally going to make a deep playoff run
2. This is Andy Reid's last season
1. The Steelers aren't the contenders they once were

Seem familiar? It IS lazy journalism.

Steelerfreak58
09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
If we go by the media's opinion on the state of all NFL teams, every season, for AT LEAST the past 5 seasons:

5. The Patriots are a lock to win the Super Bowl
4. The Giants are not a playoff contender
3. The Cowboys are finally going to make a deep playoff run
2. This is Andy Reid's last season
1. The Steelers aren't the contenders they once were

Seem familiar? It IS lazy journalism.

You forgot about the "Rumors of firing Tom Coughlin..."

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
you're right, my mistake - if they don't win the SB again in the next two seasons, I'm sure the Giants are done and Coughlin will be "on the hot seat" once again lol

steelax04
09-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Elite QBs are extremely difficult to come by. There are about 24 teams still looking for one.

Unless you're John Clayton... then only 2 teams are looking for elite quarterbacks. :chuckle:

steelfury02
09-05-2012, 11:04 AM
just keep thinking about what this team will be like with someone actually game planning and making adjustments at OC

If we stay healthy we could have a lethal, balanced offense

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 03:36 PM
just keep thinking about what this team will be like with someone actually game planning and making adjustments at OC

wow, what a concept! :doh:

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Ed: Steelers have 8th-Oldest Roster in NFL

WEDNESDAY, 05 SEPTEMBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

The Steelers have the eighth-oldest roster in the National Football League, according to STATS.

Based on Active Roster (age as of 09/05/2012)

Team Years Days Players

1. Detroit Lions 27 326 53
2. San Diego Chargers 27 292 52
3. Atlanta Falcons 27 183 53
4. Arizona Cardinals 27 141 53
5. San Francisco 49ers 27 121 53
6. Buffalo Bills 27 81 53
7. Chicago Bears 27 67 53
8. Pittsburgh Steelers 27 61 53
9. Baltimore Ravens 27 23 53
10. Oakland Raiders 27 7 53
11. Denver Broncos 26 355 53
12. Washington Redskins 26 333 53
13. New York Giants 26 327 53
14. Houston Texans 26 327 53
15. New Orleans Saints 26 308 53
16. New York Jets 26 248 52
17. Carolina Panthers 26 203 53
18. Jacksonville Jaguars 26 196 54
19. Dallas Cowboys 26 154 53
20. Tennessee Titans 26 145 53
21. Indianapolis Colts 26 138 53
22. Cincinnati Bengals 26 120 53
23. Kansas City Chiefs 26 115 53
24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 26 100 53
25. New England Patriots 26 88 53
26. Seattle Seahawks 26 78 53
27. Green Bay Packers 26 73 53
28. Minnesota Vikings 26 54 53
29. Miami Dolphins 26 47 52
30. Philadelphia Eagles 26 19 53
31. Cleveland Browns 26 8 53
32. St. Louis Rams 25 300 53

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117912-ed-steelers-have-8th-oldest-roster-in-nfl

Edman
09-05-2012, 05:54 PM
The Steelers are done, the Ravens headed to the Bowl on the arm of Flacco, The Bengals are awesome, and Jets Tebow.

Same old we haven't heard before.

wera176
09-05-2012, 05:55 PM
So are younger than the 49ers, the fashionable pick to represent the NFC in the SB, and slightly more than a month older than the Ravens, the pick to win our division because of their "winning tradition?"

:blah::blah:

Now, if we took Charlie off the roster, we'd drop to at least the middle of the pack!

:toofunny:

teegre
09-05-2012, 06:11 PM
And... stats can lie.

A horrible team might have a bunch of young players, because NO ONE on the team is any good. They have ten draft picks make the team, because they don't have anyone better than them... whereas, the Steelers are pretty loaded at many positions.

For example...

MINN has a ton of young players... because they have no veterans that can actually play. Thus, they carry a bunch fo youngsters, hoping that one of them will pan out. Such as their secondary, where they have a bunch of young players... but, no one proven (or good).

PITT has seasoned & proven starters at almost every position, and the only young guys are the back-ups... who WILL take over & start (& excel). Casey is old... but, McClendon is gonna be good. Harrison is old... but, Carter is looking good. Ike Taylor is old... but, Lewis & Allen (& Brown?) are waiting in the wings. Once Casey, Hampton, & Ike retire, the Steelers will be very young... but, also still very good.

Hawaii 5-0
09-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Now, if we took Charlie off the roster, we'd drop to at least the middle of the pack!

:toofunny:

WEDNESDAY, 05 SEPTEMBER 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- I thought the NFL would have to go farther back to find a team that had as many as 34 years of experience at quarterback as the Steelers do with their three. You have to go back only one year. The Colts had 34 last season with Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning and Curtis Painter all on their active roster.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117905-ed-redman-says-steelers-have-3-feature-backs

ebsteelers
09-06-2012, 02:51 PM
steelers have been 2 old since the 70s