PDA

View Full Version : larry foote misses practice with sore ankle

tony hipchest
09-05-2012, 11:24 PM
http://pit.scout.com/2/1218591.html

PITTSBURGH – Larry Foote missed Wednesday’s practice with a sore ankle, and the thinking around the Steelers’ locker room is that Foote was merely given a day off so that his backup could receive much-needed time at the buck linebacker position.
That’s the thinking, but it might also be a prayer.

Foote’s backup is Brandon Johnson, who’s not only new to the team, he’s new to the position as well as the entire 3-4 scheme.

Johnson played outside linebacker behind Elvis Dumervil at the University of Louisville, and then he played weak-side outside linebacker with the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals for six NFL seasons.

Because of his skill on special teams, he was signed by the Steelers in June and they listed the 6-5, 245-pounder as an outside linebacker. But when Stevenson Sylvester got hurt at training camp, Johnson received some time at inside linebacker. And when the Steelers’ other backup inside linebacker, Sean Spence, was injured in the final preseason game, Johnson became the team’s only backup inside linebacker.

So if Foote for some reason can’t play Sunday, Johnson becomes the defensive signal-caller as the buck linebacker in his very first game with the Steelers.

“It’s tough learning three positions,” Johnson said...

WAY off topic but sean lee is looking like a pro bowler for dallas tonight vs giants.

anyone got james farriors number? think he is still on honeymoon? in denver perhaps? :chuckle: (if i dont laugh, i'll cry, although im sure foote is fine)

Fire Arians
09-06-2012, 04:04 AM
damn that isn't good. do we even have enough depth to sub out inside backers on defense if they need a breather?

keisel at linebacker? and he's banged up too

LVSteelersfan
09-06-2012, 12:49 PM
We may end up being stuck doing the 4-3 defense at this rate. That would put Hood and Heyward on the field at the same time. I know that will never happen but it could be interesting.

Fire Haley
09-06-2012, 12:52 PM
So if Foote for some reason can’t play Sunday, Brandon Johnson becomes the defensive signal-caller as the buck linebacker in his very first game with the Steelers.

be afraid

Fire Arians
09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
We may end up being stuck doing the 4-3 defense at this rate. That would put Hood and Heyward on the field at the same time. I know that will never happen but it could be interesting.

i dont know man. out of necessity it might be a better option. or just hope brandon johnson can learn in 1 training camp what it takes most linebckers 3 years to do

tburhans
09-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to have timmons call the plays?

Hawaii 5-0
09-06-2012, 02:15 PM
http://pit.scout.com/2/1218591.html

WAY off topic but sean lee is looking like a pro bowler for dallas tonight vs giants.

Sean Lee had 12 tackles and a key forced fumble in last night's game against the Giants, and to think we had a first round grade on him but still picked Jason Worilds instead. :banging:

tanda10506
09-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Wouldn't it make more sense to have timmons call the plays?

Of course, and that's who will be calling the plays. Seems like there is a SLIM chance that Johnson will need to start, but they won't give him the responsibility of calling the plays on top of that just because he's playing that position.

tanda10506
09-06-2012, 03:07 PM
keisel at linebacker? and he's banged up too

I not at all in favor of Keisel playing LB, but I will say that when he's been sent into coverage or had to play a play or two at LB, he's done damn well.

OX1947
09-06-2012, 03:20 PM
So, Foote hurt his foot? Is that what I'm hearing?

Sharkissle29
09-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Foote participated fully in practice today, he should be good to go...thank god. How big is the Spence injury looking now?

teegre
09-06-2012, 04:14 PM
The Steelers use the 4-3 quite a bit, even though their "base" defense is the 3-4. I'd say that 1/3 of their snaps are in 4-3 (with the base 3-4 and nickel packages taking up most of the other snaps). Ergo, it's not that far-fetched of a switch.

DE: Keisel
DT: McClendon
DT: Hood
DE: Heyward

OLB: Harrison
ILB: Timmons
OLB: Woodley

Hmmm...

I don't like Harrison & Woodley in space... but... hmmm...

SIDE-NOTE: I always thought that Navorro Bowman would have been a really good pick; I always felt that they were targeting Toby Gerhart (who got picked right before the could take him); and heard that Worilds had a amazing pass-rush (which is what Tomlin was trying to beef up).

In other words, I understand the Worilds pick... but, I still would rather have Bowman. And, I think that Gerhart would have been interesting.