PDA

View Full Version : Steelers QB Roethlisberger chooses birth over game

shovelnose
09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/NFL/2012/09/06/20174841.html

Ben Roethlisberger is about to become a dad, and he's not taking the life-changing event lightly. That includes being present for his son's arrival -- even if that means missing a game.

"I'm not missing the birth of my child," he said, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "There's no chance. I know some fans probably don't want to hear that, but there's no chance."

Roethlisberger would not share the exact due date of his first born, but it's somewhere in the middle of the season according to the 30-year-old veteran.

The Steelers have two veteran backups -- Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch -- who have been starters and each has filled in for Roethlisberger during his absence in recent seasons. He missed the first four games of the 2010 season and has missed at least one game in each of his previous eight seasons with the exception of 2008.

The Steelers midseason schedule includes multiple road games, and it's to be determined how the team plans to handle Roethlisberger's game-day status until the moment arrives. Pittsburgh plays at Tennessee on Oct. 11 (Thursday) and the next week at Cincinnati in back-to-back primetime games. The Steelers are home in weeks eight, 10 and 11 and at the Giants for Week 9 on Nov. 4.

As a father I support his decision. As a fan hopefully it happens on an off day.

pete74
09-06-2012, 04:58 PM
I don't blame him. It will suck to lose him for a game especially if we lose then miss playoffs by one game but oh well. I would do the same. With that said hopefully she goes into labor on a Tuesday morning

Bayz101
09-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't miss the birth of my son, either. I don't blame him one bit.

MACH1
09-06-2012, 05:22 PM
I wouldn't miss the birth of my first child for anything. Lets hope she pops on a weekday. :laughing:

Ricco Suavez
09-06-2012, 05:24 PM
She knew what the score was when she married him. If she did'nt then someone needs to tell her. Now get out there and spit that baby out between practices on Monday and Tuesday.

wera176
09-06-2012, 05:28 PM
When's our bye week? :wave:

1st&Goal
09-06-2012, 05:43 PM
She knew what the score was when she married him. If she did'nt then someone needs to tell her. Now get out there and spit that baby out between practices on Monday and Tuesday.

I love my kids and didn't miss either of their births. This comment though made me LMAO! :rofl:

tony hipchest
09-06-2012, 05:47 PM
he is projected to miss a ravens game 1st week of december.

personally, after being awake 20 hrs and not allowed to smoke in the room, i would suggest ben just play football, have some fun, and get somebody video the bloody grey alien, conehead, baby exit the monsters womb.

tanda10506
09-06-2012, 06:00 PM
It probably won't be an issue. He doesn't need to miss a whole week for it. The odds of the baby being born exactly on a Sunday and at a time that it causes him to miss a game is kind of low. Even if he can't travel with the team for a road game due to his child being born Friday/Saturday, he can still be flown out after the birth. And I would take a jet lagged Ben over Batch or Leftwich any day. I hope he finds a way to play no matter how it works out, already having nightmare day dreams of him abandoning the team the day before playing in Baltimore.

OX1947
09-06-2012, 06:10 PM
Meh. Regular season game is easy. Tell me this if her due date was Super Bowl Sunday.

SoCalFan
09-06-2012, 06:30 PM
The kid wants him to play! Child birth is overrated!

teegre
09-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I've had some pretty memorable moments in my life... but, hands down, the birth of my daughter was the best.  NOTHING else compares.  

Now, with that said, I was able to plan the due date of my child, so as not to conflict with football season (technically, to coincide with my wife's vacation schedule)... so... BB simply should have used protection from January through May (ie to avoid a due-date between September through early February).  

BB, enjoy the birth, but next time, look at a calendar.  

tony hipchest
09-06-2012, 10:29 PM
the actual article written by the interviewr is much better than the one linked in the OP. ben talks about feeling like an old man-

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/new-man-older-body-the-steelers-big-ben-at-30-652012/

Roethlisberger has been sacked 350 times, not counting the preseason. He has run another 350 times from scrimmage. He has been hit and decked countless other times after throwing the football. He has broken many bones, from nose to toes (plus a thumb and a foot and, we think, a rib or two), had a concussion, a high ankle sprain, a torn knee ligament, lost his appendix, and there's still that "little torn rotator cuff" in his right shoulder. He could have died in a motorcycle accident that left him with a broken jaw and sinus cavity, a nine-inch cut on the back of his head and fewer teeth. Lately, he bounces up quicker from his sacks than he does his sack at home.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/new-man-older-body-the-steelers-big-ben-at-30-652012/#ixzz25kcwbii2

siss
09-06-2012, 11:28 PM
I have this image of a very pregnat woman walking around the block with a mob of steelers fans behing her "her ain't missin the Ravens game"

Also for mr and mrs big ben to bring on birth naturally they should try some of these:

How about a pinapple curry pizza with a side of castro oil and some acpunture....hmmmm

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/labourandbirth/planningyourbabysbirth/naturalbringonlabour/

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Props to Ben. I would think there are fewer things in life more important than the moment of birth of any of your children. There are at least 16 football games to play each season, but there is only one time in your one lifetime when you can be there for that precious moment.

You can't always plan when it happens. My wife has been on the shot, the ring, the pill, for our entire 9 years we have been together, but I am happy to anounce that she is 13 weeks along and the baby is looking healthy and active.

We were planning on trying next year after we get more settled into our house and finish our modifications (been in a pitched battle with California small-city code enforcement for the last 9 months), but truth be told, I am 35 and my wife is 30. If we kept creating reasons to wait for better a better financial outlook, a more opportune time, a more favorable time to invest money for college, etc. we would be 50 before we even get to it.

Even at 35, I run the risk of my children going through the same thing I am going through with my mother (she is disabled and under my housing/care) during their 20's or early 30's, instead of later when they are more emotionally able to handle the stress.

To Ben, CHEERS, buddy. My first bun is in the oven too.

As a fan, I sure as heck hope that she goes into labor on a Tuesday morning. But if not, I can't blame you, Ben. No worries, Batch or Leftwich can hold the fort down. We are still gonna get #7 this year.

Millers the sh!t
09-07-2012, 05:05 AM
Meh. Regular season game is easy. Tell me this if her due date was Super Bowl Sunday.

Guaranteed he wouldn't miss any playoff game for it. Probably wouldn't be allowed to.

steelfury02
09-07-2012, 08:19 AM
waiting for Ward to question his commitment on national television if he happens to miss a matchup v. Ravens

I get the feeling Ward won't be on NBC after this season anyways

ETL
09-07-2012, 09:52 AM
She should just get induced on the Monday after a game once she is full term and lung maturity is documented. Then all this drama can be over with.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2012, 10:11 AM
he is projected to miss a ravens game 1st week of december.

personally, after being awake 20 hrs and not allowed to smoke in the room, i would suggest ben just play football, have some fun, and get somebody video the bloody grey alien, conehead, baby exit the monsters womb.

The choice is between possibly getting hit multiple times by Ngata, Lewis, Kruger and co. or spending 20 hours of sleep deprivation and being cursed at by a 130lb woman................I take the football game every time. :thumbsup:

steelfury02
09-07-2012, 12:14 PM
yea, women in labor = beasts

I think Ashley could take down Ngata with all the birthing rage

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-07-2012, 03:51 PM
yea, women in labor = beasts

I think Ashley could take down Ngata with all the birthing rage

Ain't that the truth, brother!

With my wife being 3 months along-- the hormones are starting to get out of whack and I can only imagine where I will be in 4 months!

I usually start every conversation between her and I with an apology. I don't know what I did wrong, but whatever it is, I am sorry.

The other night, she flipped out because she said it was too hot in the house (I had the AC set to 73). I made the mistake of laughing. I thought she was going to beat me up. She was like: "I am GLAD you find this SO AMUSING..." and promptly stormed out in the back yard, stripped off her pants, and poubted in the lawn chair for a half hour (don't tell her I said she "poubted" or I am going to be issuing another apology).

They almost had the saying right; but the scorn of a pregnant woman is much, much worse than the scorn of a non-pregnant woman!

teegre
09-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Ain't that the truth, brother!

With my wife being 3 months along-- the hormones are starting to get out of whack and I can only imagine where I will be in 4 months!

I usually start every conversation between her and I with an apology. I don't know what I did wrong, but whatever it is, I am sorry.

The other night, she flipped out because she said it was too hot in the house (I had the AC set to 73). I made the mistake of laughing. I thought she was going to beat me up. She was like: "I am GLAD you find this SO AMUSING..." and promptly stormed out in the back yard, stripped off her pants, and poubted in the lawn chair for a half hour (don't tell her I said she "poubted" or I am going to be issuing another apology).

They almost had the saying right; but the scorn of a pregnant woman is much, much worse than the scorn of a non-pregnant woman!

Some advice:

1. When she asks you to go get a burrito, with extra mole sauce, at 11:00pm... just do it.

2. When she doesn't want it anymore... don't point out that you left the house, to get her a burrito. Just let it be.

3. And, as tempting as that burrito will be to eat... throw it away.

[This from a guy, who has purchased thirty or so random food items, in the wee hours of the night... and put on 30 pounds in the process.]

bornaSteelersfan
09-08-2012, 04:55 AM
She should simply schedule a C-section.