PDA

View Full Version : Steelers sign Raiders CB?

Wallace17
09-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Dont know whats going on with this. I guess they have signed DeMarcus Van Dyke.

http://www.rantsports.com/pittsburgh-steelers/2012/09/06/pittsburgh-steelers-to-sign-cornerback-demarcus-van-dyke/

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012/9/6/3299055/steelers-demarcus-van-dyke-signing-david-decastro

Wallace17
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM
Coming out of the University of Miami (FL), Van Dyke reportedly posted a 4.28 40-yard dash time, the fastest clocked at the 2011 NFL Draft Combine. He played in 14 games last season for the Raiders, starting in four of them and tallying 13 total tackles, four passes defended and one interception.

Wallace17
09-06-2012, 08:30 PM
http://youtu.be/5qDf_p-ghNo

40 time at combine.

Fire Haley
09-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Who got cut?

evidently the Steelers have no confidence in our db's

BKAnthem
09-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Lake can mold this guy...If he wants to be great

SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
09-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Who got cut?

Various websites have speculated that DeCastro will be put on the 8 week IR...

Curtain_of_Steel
09-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Thats a reach on DeCastro...lol

tony hipchest
09-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Thats a reach on DeCastro...lol

no.... thats exactly whats gonna happen.

teegre
09-06-2012, 09:19 PM
Fast... hmmm. Have him shadow Torrey Smith all over the field.

Steelersfan87
09-06-2012, 09:23 PM

Hardly evident at all based on this move. :noidea: In fact they appear to have a great deal of confidence in the secondary.

Kingmagyar
09-06-2012, 10:56 PM
What was written about him going into the 2011 draft at nfl.com website.

Overview

Van Dyke is a developmental sub-package defensive back prospect due to his track speed and height. Can do some good things in deep coverage and can recover but isn't sound in zone or underneath man coverage. Can make some plays on the ball but isn't going to rack up the interceptions. Is not physical when coming up to support the run. Isn't comfortable playing in a crowd but does break down well in space. Van Dyke was a dual-sport athlete at Miami (track) and has worked hard on the gridiron but only carries a mid-to-late round grade.

Analysis

Strengths

Van Dyke is blessed with great speed and good height for a corner. Track athlete who can recover when beat and shows good burst to the football. Does a good job defending the deep ball with his length and straight-line speed. Is a good tackler in the open field. Hard-working and durable.

Weaknesses

Overall defensive back skill set needs polish. Is not overly fluid when asked to turn and run or stick with savvy route-runners. Will drift from his position in zone coverage. Not a real playmaker in terms of coming down with the INT. Not very productive when coming up in run support.

6'1" Height
31 3/8" Arm Length
176LBS. Weight
9" Hands

Only 5 bench presses? 33 1/2 vertical jump. Ran a low 40 of 4.22

Carnell Lake could maybe do something.

Jpeezyiseternal
09-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Hell yea I hope he pans out

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Track guy with speed, but looks stiff in his turn and lanky, not strong. He looks Loire a project. Maybe he winds up on the practice squad later. I don't see him contributing this year

teegre
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
Track guy with speed, but looks stiff in his turn and lanky, not strong. He looks Loire a project. Maybe he winds up on the practice squad later. I don't see him contributing this year

In other words: a non-beast.

tony hipchest
09-06-2012, 11:20 PM
31 3/8" Arm Length
176LBS. Weight

Only 5 bench presses? .

i'll give him a pass.

usain bolt probably struggles lifting a bowling ball. :noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
09-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Steelers will sign DeMarcus Van Dyke

Posted by Josh Alper on September 6, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/x35018-e1346976775554.jpg?w=182

The fastest man at the 2011 combine is going to be a Pittsburgh Steeler.

PFT has learned that the Steelers will sign cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke. Van Dyke was waived by the Raiders on Monday when they signed veteran corner Joselio Hanson.

Van Dyke, who passed through waivers unclaimed, ran a 4.28 40 at last year’s Scouting Combine. That helped him become a third-round pick of the Raiders, who were never shy about picking up players who could run like the wind.

As they say, you can’t teach speed. Van Dyke’s problem is that he sometimes made it look like he couldn’t be taught cornerback either. He was part of a Raiders cornerback corps that allowed opponents 251 yards per game through the air. None of the five cornerbacks who saw extensive time for the Raiders last season are still with the team, with Van Dyke helping to author his own pink slip with a rough night in a preseason game against Arizona.

Still, he’s got that speed and he’s 6’1″, which is a combination that makes football people try to make it all work out. Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis are set as the starters in Pittsburgh, with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown in reserve. Van Dyke will try to work his way into the rotation while working with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and other Steelers coaches try to put his impressive physical tools to better use on the field.

There’s no word of a corresponding move, although the Steelers could place rookie guard David DeCastro on injured reserve with the designation that he’ll be able to return after eight weeks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/06/steelers-will-sign-demarcus-van-dyke/

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Not eligible.

Fire Haley
09-07-2012, 08:51 AM
He's a 170lb stringbean that avoids contact, not our typical corner - but hey, that 4.28 will get you a second chance, maybe if he learns to play the ball he'll stick

GoFor7
09-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I would guess that Golden gets cut to make room for this guy.

teegre
09-07-2012, 08:55 AM
I would guess that Golden gets cut to make room for this guy.

Please, tell me that you are joking. You have to be... right? You're being sarcastic... yes?

GoFor7
09-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Please, tell me that you are joking. You have to be... right? You're being sarcastic... yes?

The Steelers already cut a future HOFer in Jerrod Johnson. Certainly they wouldn't think twice about cutting one of the elite CBs in Robert Golden - the guy potentially has Revis potential.

ETL
09-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Raw raw raw but has potential.

If I recall, Tomlin used to be DB coach at U. Of Cincinnati and first caught the eye of Tony Dungy then the head coach of the Bucs when Dungy noted how well coached and fundamentally sound the kids from Cincy were.

I suspect the steelers had their eye on this kid in last year's draft but the Raiders scooped him up. He's a project but definitely has the height and speed to become great.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
The Steelers already cut a future HOFer in Jerrod Johnson. Certainly they wouldn't think twice about cutting one of the elite CBs in Robert Golden - the guy potentially has Revis potential.

Golden is playing Safety, no way they cut him with only Mundy as a backup. Besides.......Golden is a beast!!

LVSteelersfan
09-07-2012, 10:28 AM
This is a ploy to get Mike Wallace signed. He will no longer be the fastest man on the Steelers. They will train him to be a WR and really blow the top off defenses when they have to keep up with "two" world class speedsters streaking downfield. We only have 4 WRs. Could be something to it.

NAH. That is something only a team like the Raiders would do. He is just someone to take a roster spot until DeCastro comes back who will end up on the practice squad.

GoFor7
09-07-2012, 10:32 AM
Golden is playing Safety, no way they cut him with only Mundy as a backup. Besides.......Golden is a beast!!

Well I can't say for certain what the front office is thinking, but potentially perhaps they think Van Dyke has the potential to not only be a potentially good CB, but also potentially a good safety............................ potentially.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Well I can't say for certain what the front office is thinking, but potentially perhaps they think Van Dyke has the potential to not only be a potentially good CB, but also potentially a good safety............................ potentially.

I think the Steelers are looking ahead to what Ozzie Newsome said is "probably the fastest group of receivers we have had here" in Baltimore.

We know that Ike can run with Torrey Smith, but maybe if Jacoby Jones and Deonte Thompson come in at a 4 WR set, they might want some more speed. Maybe he was on the Steelers draft board when the Raiders drafted him and now he's a free pickup.....nobody really knows, but I hope he can at least play special teams or he isnt helping much now.

SoCalFan
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Maybe they picked him up specifically to play the teams who have a deep threat!?!? Where we have been burned SO MANY times! We have the coaching staff to mold the guy!

steelfury02
09-07-2012, 12:22 PM
very interesting indeed

Flacco to Rice and Smith, maybe Pita Bread worries me than the other folks

Even Boldin - been obvious he won't do squat in the 4th quarter

Millers the sh!t
09-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Sounds like a waste of time. Hope I'm wrong though.

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Van Dyke is reportedly around 185 pounds now. I somehow doubt that he will even be active for at least a few weeks, and even if he does get a hat on gameday at some point and it's not due to injury, it will be on special teams.

pancake
09-07-2012, 02:49 PM
We will see if Lake can make anything out of him.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Steelers place DeCastro on IR, with designation to return

Posted by Mike Florio on September 7, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/623296-e1347046024883.jpg?w=238

As expected, the Steelers have taken advantage of the David DeCastro rule, using it for David DeCastro.

The rookie first-round offensive lineman has been placed on injured reserve, with the designation that he may return. DeCastro suffered a serious knee injury during the preseason, against the Bills.

The new tweak to the IR procedures allows DeCastro to return to practice at least six weeks after being placed on the list, and then to practice at least eight weeks after being placed on the list. Once he returns to practice, however, he has only three weeks to be added to the active roster or he’ll be shut down for the year.

Taking his place on the active roster is cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, the fastest man in the 2011 Scouting Combine. Drafted by the Raiders in round three, cut earlier this week, and unclaimed on waivers, he slides onto the bottom of the roster in Pittsburgh.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/07/steelers-place-decastro-on-ir-with-designation-to-return/

Steelersfan87
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Steelers fill hole in roster left by DeCastro with extra cornerback, Van Dyke (http://www.examiner.com/article/steelers-fill-hole-roster-left-by-decastro-with-extra-cornerback-van-dyke?cid=db_articles) (Read More)

Earlier today, the Pittsburgh Steelers announced that they have placed rookie guard David DeCastro on the Injured Reserve; Designated for Return List, which will keep him off of the active roster for at least half of the regular season, if not more.

In a complementary move, the Steelers also announced that they have filled the now-vacant 53rd roster spot with a new signing: 2nd year cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, best known for running a 4.28 second 40 yard dash, tied for third best all time at the NFL Combine.

Van Dyke, a 3rd round pick of the Oakland Raiders in 2011, was released on September 3rd. He cleared waivers, meaning that no team submitted a waiver claim to secure his rights, but today, he is a Steeler.

Van Dyke was just a small part of the drastic changes that the Raiders have made in their secondary this offseason as they shift schematically from a more aggressive man coverage to an increase in zone coverage.

Earlier in the year, they released last year’s pair of starters, Standford Routt and Chris Johnson, while allowing Lito Sheppard to leave as a free agent. Last Saturday, they released Bryan McCann and Chimdi Chekwa, although the latter of which was later re-signed to the practice squad.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Raiders finish cleaning house at cornerback

By Eric Gilmore | CBSSports.com
September 3, 2012

The Raiders completed their overhaul at cornerback Monday, releasing DeMarcus Van Dyke and signing free agent corner Joselio Hanson, who had been cut by Philadelphia.

Van Dyke was the last cornerback on the 53-man roster who played for the Raiders in 2011. During the offseason, they released starters Stanford Routt and Chris Johnson and let Lito Sheppard leave as a free agent. They cut cornerbacks Bryan McCann and Chimdi Chekwa on Saturday -- Chekwa was signed to the practice squad on Sunday.

The Raiders made it a clean cornerback sweep when they released Van Dyke, a third-round pick out of Miami last year.

“I think as things played out throughout OTAs, minicamp and in training camp, we felt like that was a position that we needed to try to upgrade, and we felt like with the players that we brought in here that it helps us as a team to be better,” Raiders coach Dennis Allen said.

Offseason free agent pickups Ron Bartell (St. Louis) and Shawntae Spencer (San Francisco) are the new starters. The Raiders also added free agent Pat Lee (Green Bay) to the cornerback mix during the offseason. They claimed cornerback Coye Francois off waivers from Seattle on Wednesday and cornerback Phillip Adams off waivers from the Seahawks on Saturday.

“It's all about winning,” Raiders free safety Michael Huff said. “Nobody's safe. If you're not doing your job, they're going to get somebody better.”

Hanson played the past six seasons with Philadelphia, primarily as a slot corner in the nickel.

“I have so much experience in the slot it's like second nature to me now,” Hanson said. “I feel like you have to be real smart in the slot and you have to know formations. I use my quickness to my advantage in the slot. Have to be tough. Have to fill the run. Almost kind of like a linebacker, a slash linebacker DB.”

Hanson said the Seahawks and Dolphins showed interest, but he chose the Raiders because he wanted to play for a team in California -- he grew up in Southern California -- and he like's this team's potential.

“I'm happy, man. I'm back in California,” Hanson said. “I grew up in L.A. a Raider fan, so this is a dream come true. Have a lot of talent here on offense, a lot of talent on defense. They can plug me in, too. I just want to contribute whichever way I can and hopefully l learn this playbook real fast and I can play on Monday.”

Adams adds depth in the nickel, too, but he can also help as a punt returner. As a rookie for the 49ers in 2010, he returned a punt 83 yards for a touchdown. He returned four punts for 29 yards during the regular season that year and had been used by Seattle as a punt returner during this preseason.

“I'm just looking forward to the opportunity,” Adams said. “Happy I'm here. Just going to go out here and play hard. I'm just glad I'm here.”

The 49ers signed Adams in the seventh round in 2010. He's also spent time with the Patriots and Seahawks, so the Raiders are his fourth team, entering his third season.

“I don't think it's anything you get used to,” Adams said of changing teams. “I just think that you just keep on working. You just find a way to keep on working, getting better as a player. Hopefully a situation will be a good one for you. I think this one is. You want a place you call home.”

Van Dyke thought he'd found a home in Oakland when the Raiders drafted the speedster last year. But he struggled as a rookie and played poorly throughout much of this preseason.

“The NFL is not forgiving,” Bartell said. “It's always going to keep moving. It's not going to wait on any of us. You don't get used to seeing people come and go. No matter how long you play, it's not a pleasant part of the job. People put a lot into this. It's tough to see, especially younger guys who haven't had a full opportunity yet, it's tough to see them go. DVD's a talented young guy. He'll catch on somewhere.”

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20037976/raiders-finish-cleaning-house-at-cornerback

NoShootouts
09-07-2012, 07:17 PM
interestingly enough Rod Woodson was Van Dykes coach in Oakland ...maybe he disagreed with the cut and gave Pittsburgh a call ? helping both the Steelers and his player

FrancoLambert
09-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Everybody passed on this guy. I don't think we're talking about some unknown gem.
Although, his speed is worth a look.

bornaSteelersfan
09-08-2012, 04:47 AM
The Raiders are not exactly the smartest organization. They basically took this kid with raw talent and threw him to the wolves by not training him enough before putting him on the field. We all know the Steelers way is to train guys. They make them learn for a couple of seasons with some opportunities for real game action on Special Teams. Once they are ready, they are put in the line up. This kid never had a chance to learn and grow. I think it is a great pick up with no real downside.

teegre
09-08-2012, 10:03 AM
The Raiders are not exactly the smartest organization. They basically took this kid with raw talent and threw him to the wolves by not training him enough before putting him on the field. We all know the Steelers way is to train guys. They make them learn for a couple of seasons with some opportunities for real game action on Special Teams. Once they are ready, they are put in the line up. This kid never had a chance to learn and grow. I think it is a great pick up with no real downside.

Great point. Al Davis takes the "fastest" player in the draft, no matter what, every single year... and then does nothing to develop that player's talent.

I'm not saying that he'll turn into anything, but I am saying that just because he didn't succeed in OAK doesn't really mean much. Remember: Al Davis got rid of Osamugha for NOTHING. The Raidahs is not the most "intelligently" run organization.

Rick5895
09-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Everybody passed on this guy. I don't think we're talking about some unknown gem.
Although, his speed is worth a look.
I'm not saying Van Dyke is in this category but how many times was James Harrison passed over?
The kid is worth a look. Who knows what Carnell can do for him.

GoFor7
09-08-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm not saying that he'll turn into anything, but I am saying that just because he didn't succeed in OAK doesn't really mean much. Remember: Al Davis got rid of Osamugha for NOTHING. The Raidahs is not the most "intelligently" run organization.

THE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIDAHS!

http://blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Al-Davis-Press-Conference.gif

teegre
09-08-2012, 12:41 PM
THE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIDAHS!

http://blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Al-Davis-Press-Conference.gif

Hey... a rare find: 
a photo of Al Davis where he looks neither senile nor bat-shit crazy.  

Oh wait...  

Goldsteel86
09-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Really would love to see this kid catch on, I look at it this way, Ike is considered one of the best "shut down" corners in the game, hopefully with a little mentoring maybe he''ll be able to can catch on. It would be nice to have two burners at corner, I really hope this works, then again Tomlin is a defensive coach and I am sure he knows a good thing when he sees it.

Steeldude
09-09-2012, 08:47 AM
isn't sound in zone or underneath man coverage. Can make some plays on the ball but isn't going to rack up the interceptions

Sounds a lot like DBs we have now and in the past.

5 bench presses? Talk about spending zero time in the weight room. I heard he is 178 now. How much speed has he lost due to the extra weight. He was getting beat deep in pre-season

EbonySteel86
09-09-2012, 11:04 AM
I wish they hurry up and update the roster on Madden. He has 98 speed!!!! LOL!

Steelersfan87
09-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Q. The team signed cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on Friday. What can you tell us about him?

A. We were interested in this young man when he came out in the draft in 2011. Obviously, we ended up with Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, but he was within that group and in that range from a grading standpoint. I was at his pro day. He’s got big-time upside, he’s an extremely fast guy. It was an opportunity for us to put a young cornerback in the mix and continue to work with him and develop his skill and see if maybe he can help us at some point.

Hawaii 5-0
09-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Q. The team signed cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke on Friday. What can you tell us about him?

A. We were interested in this young man when he came out in the draft in 2011. Obviously, we ended up with Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen, but he was within that group and in that range from a grading standpoint. I was at his pro day. He’s got big-time upside, he’s an extremely fast guy. It was an opportunity for us to put a young cornerback in the mix and continue to work with him and develop his skill and see if maybe he can help us at some point.

if you're going to quote something like this you should put a link or reference who said it. I'm assuming it was Mike Tomlin but it sure would be helpful in the future...

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 07:04 PM
by Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke has only been on the Steelers roster a few weeks, signed after the former third-round pick was released by the Raiders, but has already made an impact on special teams and his potential to help the secondary is also something the team likes.

“He’s done a great job,” said Tomlin. “He downed a punt for us. He was there for that play on that mishandled punt last week. I thought he showed awareness as a punt return guy, pushing a gunner into the end zone who was trying to down a ball. Obviously, he’s been an asset to us in that area.

“But quite frankly, the things that attracted us to him are the same things that attracted us to him when he came out in the draft. We thought that he was a long, fast kid with man coverage ability. We compared him very favorably to Cortez Allen and really took a similar approach to those guys. He’s in that draft class with Cortez and Curtis Brown and we’re thankful to have three young corners from a draft class just a couple of years ago in our program that are working to improve on a daily basis.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Looking-to-get-ground-game-rolling/7f26a810-43a1-4ed0-8882-7350c9c187ef

Fire Arians
09-18-2012, 07:09 PM

they wasted a #1 pick on jamarcus russell, traded 2 1st rounders for carson palmer, everything they do is stupid. If i were any team, I'd be trying to get on the horn and make any deals i could with oakland, chances are, you end up on the winning side