PDA

View Full Version : Harrison a game-time decision for Sunday's contest vs. Broncos

Fire Haley
09-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Harrison a game-time decision for Sunday's contest vs. Broncos

Steelers linebacker James Harrison will be a game-day decision for the regular-season opener at Denver on Sunday. Harrison, still recovering from minor knee surgery last month, did not practice today."The knee didn't feel too good, and they (team physicians) want to let it rest and see if rest will help it," Harrison said. "They'll make a decision when the game comes."

Harrison said he prefers to play, but second-year linebacker Chris Carter is likely to get the start against the Broncos at Sports Authority Field at Mile High. Carter, who played mostly special teams last season, played most of the minutes at right outside linebacker during the preseason.

"I'm just trying to stay prepared for any situation that comes up," Carter said. "I really don't try to get too involved with what's going on with James. If he can't play, then I have to be ready."

Harrison missed five games last season after suffering a fractured orbital bone against Houston in Week 4. He missed another because of a suspension following an illegal hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy.

It's a setback for the nine-year veteran who earlier this week appeared confident he would be ready to play. He was held out of practice, partly because of irritation and soreness on his surgically repaired knee.

"There was a little swelling, but nothing major," Harrison said. "There was more irritation, a little pain and soft tissue hasn't healed yet.

"If the game was today, I couldn't play. It's just sore."

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2547130-85/harrison-game-carter-knee-linebacker-season-decision-comes-irritation-james#axzz25c35OrM5

--------------------

that don't sound good

rgj
09-07-2012, 02:33 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-harrison-will-not-play-sunday-652303/

Well, so much for that "game day decision."

Steelers are becoming the walking wounded.....great way to start a season optimistically.

pancake
09-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I hope this doesn't become a weekly issue...

GoFor7
09-07-2012, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't mind if they sat him until after the bye.

Blackout
09-07-2012, 02:54 PM
100% please.

Sadly, he might be better off sitting out for awhile not to collect anymore ridiculous fines. I can guarentee if he was to tackle Manning he'd be getting penalized pretty heavily.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 03:35 PM
James Harrison out for Steelers-Broncos, report says

By Dan Hanzus
Published: Sept. 7, 2012

It appears the Pittsburgh Steelers will be without linebacker James Harrison when they open their season Sunday night.

Harrison missed practice for the second consecutive day Friday. He later tweeted it "looks like" he'll be a game-time decision against the Denver Broncos.

"The knee didn't feel too good," Harrison said Friday, via Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "They want to let it rest and see if rest will help it and make the decision when the game comes."

But Harrison might be too optimistic.

According to Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Harrison will not play in the Steelers' regular-season opener.

Harrison, who underwent arthroscopic knee surgery on Aug. 15, was activated by the Steelers last week in hopes he would be ready for Week 1.

Kaboly reports Chris Carter will start at right outside linebacker in Harrison's place. The Steelers likely will activate Adrian Robinson or Marshall McFadden from the practice squad.

Any lingering knee issue for Harrison, who's 34, should be viewed as a significant big-picture concern for the Steelers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000059420/article/james-harrison-out-for-steelersbroncos-report-says

FrancoLambert
09-07-2012, 04:16 PM
I wouldn't mind if they sat him until after the bye.

Not a bad strategy if you want to have him around for week 16. :hunch:
Pushing it now might make the problem linger all season.
Bite the bullet, get him some more rest and rehab, and hope Carter can hold things together.
Last year he wouldn't have been able to do it, but from his preseason play he looks like he can this year.:privateeyes:
Wear and tear is catching up on Harrison (me too). :crying01:

RichardCullinanForever
09-07-2012, 04:28 PM
According to NBC Sports, "Despite reports that Harrison has already been ruled out for the opener against the Broncos, the Steelers have listed him as questionable on their Friday injury report."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/07/rashard-mendenhall-doubtful-james-harrison-questionable-for-sunday-night/

I'm not sure if I want to see him on the field. Obviously if he is well enough to get a couple of sacks on Manning, then play him. But further injury would not be very beneficial for us down the road here. Tough call...

skinart82
09-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Carter took the snaps in preseason, he is probably more ready to go and healthier. I live Harrison, but right now I'd take Carter over Harrison. Unless its a 100% Harrison

Fire Haley
09-07-2012, 04:54 PM
Questionable my ass.

Take the needle - we gotta crush Peyton.

Hawaii 5-0
09-07-2012, 04:56 PM
hopefully Jason Worilds can step up also.

I watched Sean Lee make 12 tackles against the Giants on Wednesday, it still irks me that we chose Worilds over Sean Lee especially since we had a first round grade on Lee.

Fire Haley
09-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I watched Sean Lee make 12 tackles against the Giants on Wednesday, it still irks me that we chose Worilds over Sean Lee especially since we had a first round grade on Lee.

stop making me sick

austinfrench76
09-07-2012, 11:40 PM
He's not playing and he shouldn't if he's not healthy. Let carter play and let James get healthy. Its the first game of the year...

Rick5895
09-08-2012, 05:58 AM
I'M hopeful carter plays well and turns out to be a very good OLB because it is starting to appear as though James career is on a severe downslide due to the injuries. Eventually happens to all great players, I was just hopeful for 1 more great season from silverback. Hopefully he gets this healed and can come back.

Hawaii 5-0
09-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Steelers notebook: Harrison not likely to play Sunday night

September 8, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

James Harrison would not classify his latest issue with his knee as a setback, even though the Pro Bowl outside linebacker is not expected to play Sunday night in Denver.

Harrison did not practice for the second day in a row Friday and is listed as questionable on the team's official injury report.

He will be replaced in the starting lineup by Chris Carter, who has been working at right outside linebacker since minicamp because of injuries to Harrison (knee) and top backup Jason Worilds (wrist).

This is the third time since spring that Harrison has had a comeback halted by a knee problem. In his other attempts -- once at minicamp, once at training camp -- his knee swelled each time he tried to cut on it.

Harrison said Friday he did not suffer a setback this time, nor is he worried about his knee.

"No, it's just sore," Harrison said. "The soft tissue just hasn't healed up."

Harrison returned to practice Monday for the first time since last season. The plan was for him to get enough reps to be able to start against the Broncos, provided he didn't have any problems with his knee. It is not known if the latest problem will cause Harrison to miss as much time as he did in the spring and summer.

"If the game were today, I couldn't play," Harrison said in a response to a question.

In addition to Harrison, running back Baron Batch also was listed as questionable, although he practiced Friday. Running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee) was listed as doubtful. Inside linebacker Stevenson Sylvester and safety Ryan Clark were ruled out.

DeCastro on new list

The Steelers did not waste any more time and placed rookie guard David DeCastro on the new injured reserve/designated to return list that allows him to come back after eight games.

Only one player per team can be designated for the list. DeCastro is allowed to resume practicing after six weeks and is eligible to come off the IR list in eight, although his recovery from a knee injury might be longer than that.

The Steelers made the move to make room on the 53-man roster for cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, who was signed after being released by the Oakland Raiders. Van Dyke is in his second year from Miami.

Special teams to have captain

The Steelers did not appoint a special teams captain when they named Ben Roethlisberger (offense) and Brett Keisel (defense) as team captains for the 2012 season.

Instead, Tomlin will appoint a different special teams captain each week to go out for the coin toss. Veteran safety Will Allen could be the leading candidate to handle the duties in Denver.

Broncos pass rush formidable

Denver rookie defensive end Derek Wolfe already has worked himself into the starting lineup, and that is no surprise to the Steelers.

They spent a lot of time talking with the 6-foot-5, 300-pound lineman from Cincinnati at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and considered taking him high in the NFL draft.

But the Broncos beat them to it and took Wolfe in the second round. He plays at right end in their 4-3 alignment but slides inside in their sub packages.

Wolfe combines with defensive end Elvis Dumervil and linebacker Von Miller to give the Broncos three good pass rushers in the front seven.

"You have two of the premier [pass] rushers in the league, and they drafted a young guy in Wolfe," said offensive coordinator Todd Haley, who faced the Broncos twice a year when he was head coach in Kansas City. "They have active, physical guys who play hard."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-harrison-not-likely-to-play-sunday-night-652389/#ixzz25uKhlmhT