tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 09:24 PM
good enough for me

http://news.steelers.com/article/66307/

Holmes ready to get to work
Saturday, July 29, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. ? Santonio Holmes is anxious to get to work, and by all accounts, he has a lot to do.

On the field, Holmes has to catch up with the teammates who had the benefit of the coaching sessions that he was prohibited from attending by an NCAA rule. Off the field, Holmes has to learn to avoid the kinds of situations that resulted in him being arrested twice in the time since the Steelers made him their No. 1 draft pick in April.

Getting his contract worked out in time for him to be able to report with the rest of the players will help him with the football part; maturity and making better decisions will go a long way toward taking care of the rest.

"All of the stuff off the field has been put behind me, and it's good to be in camp on time, get my contract situated and get ready to perform with the team," said Holmes.

During a news conference on Saturday at St. Vincent College, Holmes was asked repeated questions about the two incidents, the second of which resulted in him being arrested for domestic violence. Holmes didn't apologize because he believes he is innocent of those charges, and he believes people eventually will discover that he's not a bad person.

"Things happen," said Holmes. "I'm a young guy stepping into a great deal of things that are ahead of me right now. I'm just looking forward to having a great career. I don't feel I have anything to prove to anybody. I just have to go out and show to the organization that I want to play football, and that's what I'm here for."

Steelers fans are very passionate about their favorite team, and Holmes has been an object of their criticism. When asked about that, Holmes defended himself.

"I haven't gotten any negative feedback from any fan I have seen around the city since I've been here, which is about a month and a half, so I don't think I have anything to say to those guys," said Holmes. "They know what I can do on the field, what type of person I am on and off the field. When I was a redshirt freshman at Ohio State, I would ask Coach Tressel if I could go and visit the kids at Children's Hospital. Only the veterans were able to go visit, but I was always one of the guys who'd ask if I could go and visit."

The quickest way for a professional athlete to rehabilitate his image is through his performance on the field. The Steelers are the defending champions, and as such they aren't desperate for help from any of their rookies, but if Holmes was able to make some of the same kinds of plays he did at Ohio State, that certainly would help.

"Whenever you draft a player in the first round, obviously you expect a lot from him," said Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert. "Hopefully he can come in and compete and contribute, maybe as a receiver and maybe as a kick returner. The expectations are higher the higher you're picked, and he's no different along those lines."

Hines Ward and Cedrick Wilson open this camp as the starting wide receivers, and the battle for the remaining roster spots at this position figure to be fierce. Nate Washington looks to be a guy to be reckoned with; Sean Morey is an ace on special teams and showed up for this camp in great shape; Quincy Morgan and Lee Mays both have made big plays as Steelers; and then there are the rookies ? Holmes and third-round pick Willie Reid.

But for those who make the roster, there are plenty of roles to fill. The No. 3 receiver spot and the punt return job are open as a result of Antwaan Randle El's departure in free agency. The kickoff return job is open because Morgan ended last season on injured reserve.

There is opportunity, and Holmes helped himself by being here on time.

"It's important for any young player, for any new player in a system (to be here on time), because we have a veteran football team, we have a veteran staff," said Cowher. "The more comfortable you can become in that system, the faster you can play the game. It'll be good to have him here and every repetition he can get on the field will be to his benefit."

Holmes sounded as though he couldn't wait to get started.

"Have fun, get out there and play hard and hopefully win another Super Bowl," Holmes said when asked what he expects of himself as a rookie. "I'm not going to set any individual goals, because that would set myself aside from this team. My goal is to go and help this team win as many games as possible.

How can he do that?

"By being in practice every day, learning the schemes and the system, giving 110 percent every day in practice," said Holmes. "When game time comes around, don't drop passes, make big plays on the field."

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-30-2006, 09:37 PM
You know what.....I know its no excuse but.....If there was not a stupid rule that an NFL player can not attend any workout until he graduates then Holmes would not have been in the position to get arrested because he would have been in Pittsburgh....

83-Steelers-43
07-30-2006, 09:47 PM
I heard on his way up to Latrobe he wiped out a family of five, raped ten girls (all underage of course), shot the sheriff and the deputy and ran over a squirrel.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
07-30-2006, 09:50 PM
I think hes gonna be a starter this year and do great things for us....

Livinginthe past
07-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Sure, Holmes has made a pretty poor start to his career in Pittsburgh.

But I have to question what more he can do at the moment to rectify his earlier mistakes ; I would say not a great deal.

He has plenty of potential mentors in a franchise built on a strong team ethic, and a stand up guy for a coach.

A season without any more disputes with the law and a solid work ethic should see him ok - any hopes of him being able to cancel out his earlier behaviour by catching a ton of TDs for a bunch of yardage is just as unlikely as it was right after he was drafted.

NM

Reason for Edit : To stop Tony H ridiculing me further.

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 10:04 PM
A season without any more disputes with the law and a solid work ethic should seem him ok - NM

...what more is can do the moment to rectify his early mistakes, I would say not a great deal.

tha rock???

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
I heard on his way up to Latrobe he wiped out a family of five, raped ten girls (all underage of course), shot the sheriff and the deputy and ran over a squirrel. we should be able to get a 1st rounder from the bengals for him then.

Livinginthe past
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
tha rock???

Ha ha.

That was a horrible effort I have to admit.

I shall go back and edit it.

NM

BlackNGold203
07-30-2006, 10:22 PM
we should be able to get a 1st rounder from the bengals for him then.

LMAO....

a 1st rounder and possibly a drug addict to be named later.....:sofunny: :sofunny:

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Ha ha.

That was a horrible effort I have to admit.

I shall go back and edit it.

NMnot to play board editor but i really had no idea the message that was being conveyed. broken english i guess :cool:

tony hipchest
07-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Sure, Holmes has made a pretty poor start to his career in Pittsburgh.

But I have to question what more he can do at the moment to rectify his earlier mistakes ; I would say not a great deal.

He has plenty of potential mentors in a franchise built on a strong team ethic, and a stand up guy for a coach.

A season without any more disputes with the law and a solid work ethic should see him ok - any hopes of him being able to cancel out his earlier behaviour by catching a ton of TDs for a bunch of yardage is just as unlikely as it was right after he was drafted.

NM

Reason for Edit : To stop Tony H ridiculing me further. lol. this i can make sense of and actually agree with. im on record as saying that he could be mother teresa and not be able to live up to some steelerfans expectations. he is a rookie wr and he really wont be able to contribute until his 3rd season in the league. personally i feel the majority of the steelerfans dont have the patience to wait this long for a #1 pick.

the fans have already turned on him and anything short of looking like randy moss will probably see the fans wishing him to make an early exit.

then again weve got him signed pretty cheap for the next 5 years. get used to him steelerfans.

Polamalu43
07-31-2006, 01:36 AM
That's a great thing that holmes is now focused on steeler football,and wants 2 make a name for himself in the black N gold.. Hopefully the guy has already learned from his mistakes, and I believe he already did,by the way he sounded eager 2 get started..

Ambridge
07-31-2006, 04:44 AM
Hmm!!
I read an article in Sunday's Pittsburgh Post Gazette that painted a different light on Holmes as an Unrepentant player that wasn't even sorry for the negative attention his off the field antics caused regardless of guilt or innocense and for pretty much calling Ben Roethlisberger a "Liar" saying that Ben never called him during the off-season and that Ben never left any messages.

IMO "Kordell" Holmes is still an idiot douchebag.

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2006, 08:43 AM
"I had to do it, everybody else had to do it," Ward said, recalling his own days lugging veterans' pads in 1998. "We're going to treat [Holmes] like a rookie. He got a nice little signing bonus; we're going to get into that too. We're all going to eat good."

Bring him down to earth Hines and straighten him up.

SteelerzGirl
07-31-2006, 09:03 AM
"I had to do it, everybody else had to do it," Ward said, recalling his own days lugging veterans' pads in 1998. "We're going to treat [Holmes] like a rookie. He got a nice little signing bonus; we're going to get into that too. We're all going to eat good."

Bring him down to earth Hines and straighten him up.

Oh yeaaa... A nice little rookie initiation going on there...(lol)! I love it! :smile:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2006, 11:52 AM
lol. this i can make sense of and actually agree with. im on record as saying that he could be mother teresa and not be able to live up to some steelerfans expectations. he is a rookie wr and he really wont be able to contribute until his 3rd season in the league. personally i feel the majority of the steelerfans dont have the patience to wait this long for a #1 pick.

the fans have already turned on him and anything short of looking like randy moss will probably see the fans wishing him to make an early exit.

then again weve got him signed pretty cheap for the next 5 years. get used to him steelerfans.

Hey I still like Santonio. I wanted the Steelers to draft this guy. So I will support him. But if he gets arrested two more times down the road. I might start to change my mind. Ok if any Steelers fan thinks that Santonio is going to put up the numbers that Randy Moss did in his rookie year. Then they don't have a freakin clue. With Hines Ward, Heath Miller as the first two options in the passing game. Then factor in the Steelers will at least run the ball 55 percent of the time this year. There is noway possible for Holmes to put up them kind of numbers that Moss did his rookie year.

Haiku_Dirtt
07-31-2006, 04:52 PM
I heard on his way up to Latrobe he wiped out a family of five, raped ten girls (all underage of course), shot the sheriff and the deputy and ran over a squirrel.
]

A squirrel? Great. Now PETA is joining CODE PINK and the RAINBOW COALITION to converge on Latrobe. Hope the reporters can find some football to report on.

BB2W
07-31-2006, 05:05 PM
Good enough for me too... I can't wait to see him play. :helmet:

SteelerFanInCA
07-31-2006, 05:48 PM
He definitely has a great mentor in Hines. I'm sure Hines will help him stay on track.

tony hipchest
07-31-2006, 06:00 PM
he has some pretty simple life decisions he has to make. he can be the future and live up to the likes of hines, stallworth, or swann and work on building a legacy.

or he can go down the same route as maurice clarett or rickey williams.