PDA

View Full Version : Cowher and Holmes Have a "Good talk"

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2006, 12:11 AM
Steelers Notebook: Cowher and Holmes have 'a good talk'
Monday, July 31, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Coach Bill Cowher had his long-awaited conversation Saturday night with rookie receiver Santonio Holmes, not all of it about football.

"We had a good talk," Cowher said yesterday. "He's got a lot of work to do but he's committed to getting caught up to where he will feel comfortable."

Holmes has to make up ground off and on the field because of two arrests in May and June, and after he missed most of the Steelers' spring drills because his Ohio State classes were still in session.

He took his first steps on the field yesterday when he practiced with his new teammates in pads for the first time and made a nice leaping catch of a deep pass from Charlie Batch.

"I saw him make a couple good catches," Cowher said. "He looked fine."

Holmes, though, was beset a little by cornerbacks bumping him off the line of scrimmage, a normal occurrence for a rookie receiver.

"He's going to learn certain things as a receiver as far as bump-and-run coverage," veteran cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "He's a great route runner but he has to learn those things in bump and guys are going to test him. It's his first day. He'll get a lot better."

Hines Ward predicted Holmes will do so off the field as well. The Super Bowl MVP spent the week leading to training camp with Holmes. They worked out together at the Steelers' UPMC complex and ate dinner together.

"I hung out with him," Ward said. "He's a good kid. The misconception of what's going on off the field, that's not really relevant to us. We understand the situation, we really know kind of what's going on with everything.

"He's eager to learn the game. He wanted to come out here and really... prove 'I am worthy of a first-round pick.' He's working hard and I'm just excited to work with him."

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2006, 12:16 AM
"We understand the situation, we really know kind of what's going on with everything."

Some should read this quote very slowly.

Koopa
07-31-2006, 12:24 AM
*waits for the ppl complaining, to start kissing holmes' ass*

Polamalu43
07-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Glad 2 see that ward is leaning towards taking holmes under his wings..also glad that holmes is finally leaving his street problems behing him and is ready 2 learn the black n gold system..

klick81
07-31-2006, 02:58 AM
*waits for the ppl complaining, to start kissing holmes' ass*

There'll be no ass kissing from me. I'll be the first to say he proved me wrong (hope to be able to do this soon). But he's done nothing yet. Let's wait and see.

melroseplace
07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm glad to hear that Cowher finally talked to him. hopefully after a couple more days of camp he'll get into the groove with the team, physically and mentally

SteelerzGirl
07-31-2006, 10:26 AM
If Hines is taking Holmes under his wing, I'm down with that! :smile:

Black@Gold Forever32
07-31-2006, 12:40 PM
Hey I'm willing to give Santonio Holmes another chance. But I don't care what anybody says. You don't want to start your NFL career off with two arrests before even signing a contract. But I agree we didn't know all the details surrounding his second arrest. So its unfair to pass judgement on Holmes. But Santonio has the right person to show him the ropes to be a pro football player. Thats very good to see Hines Ward taking Santonio under his wing. Just another reason to love Hines.

HometownGal
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
If The Chin and Hines have this much confidence in his attitude and his potential to contribute to the team, that's good enough for me at this point. :cool:

Eztarget
07-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Hey I'm willing to give Santonio Holmes another chance. But I don't care what anybody says. You don't want to start your NFL career off with two arrests before even signing a contract. But I agree we didn't know all the details surrounding his second arrest. So its unfair to pass judgement on Holmes. But Santonio has the right person to show him the ropes to be a pro football player. Thats very good to see Hines Ward taking Santonio under his wing. Just another reason to love Hines.

It could be worse ... he could be a Bengal which means he probably would have murdered two people by now! :tt:

SteelerFanInCA
07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
He definitely has a great mentor in Hines. I'm sure Hines will help keep him on track.

stlrtruck
07-31-2006, 09:32 PM
That's if he chooses to listen to Hines. He's got to make an effort too!

memphissteelergirl
08-01-2006, 04:43 PM

You got that right!

:iagree:

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Already posted this in another thread but I will also post it in this thread since this topic was brought up........

As it is, Holmes is trying to catch up on the work he missed in the spring drills. He did stay 30 minutes after practice to catch passes spun out of a portable machine on the field, as Hines Ward watched.

"I talked to Hines and he told me to catch about 50 balls after practice if you don't catch enough in practice," Holmes said. "I caught about 70. I'm just trying to stay in shape and trying to catch the ball from different angles."

Ward has taken a key interest in Holmes.

"Every little thing I do, whether it's right or wrong, he's always there to correct me, tell me to keep working on this or that was a great job making a catch here or a move here and there," Holmes said. "Just a lot of little things that a great receiver will do to help young guys. Just teach them all the things he's learned." - PPG

Sounds like he's listening to me.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-01-2006, 05:37 PM
There'll be no ass kissing from me. I'll be the first to say he proved me wrong (hope to be able to do this soon). But he's done nothing yet. Let's wait and see.

Dude has yet to play a down in the NFL. I echo this.

Stlrs4Life
08-01-2006, 09:26 PM
How can you worry when Ward is with him.

SteelShooter
08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
If Hines is taking Holmes under his wing, I'm down with that! :smile:

I'm down with you being down with that over Hines being down with Santonio being down with the Black-n-Gold.............whooooooooooaaaaaaaa now I'm all dizzy. Just smile and make it all better SG.

SteelerzGirl
08-01-2006, 09:50 PM
I'm down with you being down with that over Hines being down with Santonio being down with the Black-n-Gold.............whooooooooooaaaaaaaa now I'm all dizzy. Just smile and make it all better SG.

*Singing to Shooter*

I'm so dizzy my head is spinning
Like a whirlpool it never ends
And it's you Shooter that's making it spin
You're making me dizzy

:smile:

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 12:29 AM
*and the dj spins "dope"*

You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

:dancing:

(sorry...clubtrack flashback)

Elvis
08-02-2006, 06:44 PM
I hope that alot of Hines rubs off on Holmes.. it sounds like he needs some good things in his life and I hope that Holmes is gonna stay out of trouble now...

nicesteel4life
08-03-2006, 10:04 AM
*Singing to Shooter*

I'm so dizzy my head is spinning
Like a whirlpool it never ends
And it's you Shooter that's making it spin
You're making me dizzy

:smile:

WOW ....... Tommy Roe
and I am only 37 and knew that....LOL