PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the game.

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2012, 07:02 AM
For everyone who thought Haley would wave a magic wand and return the Steelers to its glory days of smash mouth football, then last night should prepare you for the truth. The truth is we do not have the O-line right now to open holes to pound it down anyone's throat. The Steelers made an effort in this draft to improve but with Decastro out and Adams needing some seasoning we look to be as bad offensively as last years version.

The talk of ball control bears no weight with what I saw last night, since we led the league last year with a "pass happy offense". Points are what we lacked last year not offense and we did not put up any more in this first game. Honestly I was not impressed with our offense during pre-season, but it being pre-season i was not concedrned as i thought they were playing it close to the vest. But if Haley continues to call games in this fashion, we will not be as productive as last year.

The running game is ineffective the way it is being used right now. Runs dominated our calls on 1st and 2nd down leaving the team in 3rd and long, which did Ben and his receivers no favors. The offense did pretty good in converting those 3rd downs with Ben being something like 9-11 on third down with 8 conversions at one time in the fourth quarter. Another thing is on first and goal from the three we call 3 straight pass plays. The shorter the field the harder it is to pass, where's the logic .

The defense was without two starters, key starters. But when Peyton went to the no huddle he sliced us up, with all day to throw the secondary had no chance at all. We DID look old and slow. I thought McClendon should of seen the field more with his youth and speed. If the offense does not improve we need the defense to play better, if the defense plays like last night then the offense has to improve quick.

I thought Miller looked good and hope he can run more routes and not have to stay in for protection. I thought Ben looked good for the most part other than missing a wide open Miller and forcing some tight throws that should of resulted in ints. I thought Wallace played well considering his lack of practice.

Finally, I will say this. Its only the first game and we lost last years opener and looked much worst. I think that a lot of the Steeler faithful felt our troubles were behind us with Arians gone, I cautioned these sentiments in earlier posts that I felt we would have some growing pains with a new OC. I think we can be good, but what I saw was the same thing that held us back last year, stupid penalties, poor line play, some easy throws not made, and some easy catches juggled or dropped by our backs. A loss to Denver in Denver with a "Peyton love fest" on national TV was not what we wanted to see, but the sky is not falling yet. We do have work to do though.

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 07:48 AM
Thank you. This was a very fair assessment, and pretty much spot on with my opinions after last night's loss.

I can def see what Haley is trying to do with the ball control, and keeping Ben upright. I was a little frustrated because I thought we could have taken a couple more risks on 1st and 2nd down. Maybe you are right, maybe we are trying to protect against our deficiencies on the line.

I am not one to make excuses, but I don't think any team's fan base would have liked walking into last night's scenario. I still thought we would have walked away with a close win - which, it looked like it might have played out that way before the pick 6. That was just a fantastic play. I have to give props to Denver - I won't crown them with anything, but if they keep that up, they are legit contenders.

The sky is not falling, but I agree - lots of work to do. Let's get this bad taste out of our mouth next week . . . :thumbsup:

TRH
09-10-2012, 07:57 AM
some thoughts i had..
-both the offense and the defense looked VERY, very slow...sluggish. Nevermind ball control, if you play like that, you'll never win
-at one point, it looked as if Ben is going to play every down of the season in the shotgun
-when we hired Haley, everybody thought we would run more, but i actually thought we would now pass MORE..not less....and that certainly looks to be the case
-why can't this defense produce turnovers???? It's mindboggling and frustrating (and this goes back through last year) how awful they are at the INT/fumble game. Its like they're not even trying.
-this defense continues to give up the big plays. The elite QB's of the league are just salivating to play the Steelers
-the offensive line that we did have playing couldn't open a hole to save their lives. When we did run, our RB's kept running straight into a pile of our own clumped-up guys....it looked horrible
-Tomlin better get some better help upstairs. He should have never wasted a time-out and challenged that one play...and had plenty of time to get word from someone in the booth that it was clearly never going to be reversed

Bayz101
09-10-2012, 08:01 AM
Offense put points on the board and drained the clock, and our defense allowed Denver to do the same in less than half the time. Our coverage unit without Clark is god-awful, and I really liked Haley's gameplan. Certainly not going to question it in week one.

beer72
09-10-2012, 08:02 AM
My opinion ditto yours.. This run run pass sh*t has got to go. Once we started mixing it up we looked like a very good football team. Except Ben throwing a bad pick we could have won a very close game.

defence
09-10-2012, 08:07 AM
You are pretty bang on with your assessment. to be really honest; I'm not too worried about the offence. I'm pretty sure Haley will mix things up and won't always run on first and second downs. Now if we start talking of our defence. I'm very worried. After our offence went on a time consuming scoring drive; the d pretty well craps in there pants in 40 seconds. That's a game changer; deflates the team. But as I was commenting last year because this is what they were doing last year; they needed a change on that side of the ball. This d had all the rankings; 1st this and that. When they need to make a play; they can't. That's the way i see it. Let's see how the offence runs when Mendy is back running because they REALLY need a back because the other 2 are definately not the answer.

Fire Haley
09-10-2012, 08:36 AM
I told you we should have started Dwyer

Ben had to throw 40 times because Redman sucked, but the linemen couldn't last one night of Ben's scramble drills without more knees collapsing - we are spent on the OL

the "new" offense looked clunky because you knew the 3 step drop dink and dunk would only last so long - but Ben ignored the easy open throws and fired it into coverage too many times, Heath was there wide open in the EZ and Ben shanked it

Fire Haley
09-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Offense put points on the board and drained the clock, and our defense allowed Denver to do the same in less than half the time

Time of possession don't mean squat when your defense is a sieve. We're seeing the worst DL we've had in the last 10 years...+ CB's that can't tackle.

What a mess.

xbroughneck
09-10-2012, 09:06 AM
Chris Carter and Ryan Mundy are not playmakers...and it was obvious last night.

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 09:12 AM
at this point, I'm just wanting to get on with wk 2. My main concern at this point, is the defense being able to make a huge play in a huge game. I've spent too many seasons and energy into summarizing a team after 1 performance. Lots of work to do. I just have to hope that Wk 2 win will temper some negative vibes. Put it this way - it could have been an utterly embarrassing shellacking like opening game last season and if I had it my way, we would have played Denver at home for once.

I said not to underestimate Peyton's abilities and thought all along that Denver's D is underrated. If Denver keeps that up, they are legit contenders. I thought the situational differences summarized this game - just look at the 2 pt conversion attempts. They looked more comfortable in general, we didn't.

I agree with corners to an extent. Although I have more beef with Allen.

ETL
09-10-2012, 09:31 AM
1. That was a bad INT on Ben at the end of the game. It was a high risk, low reward throw. Manning would not have made a throw like that even if he thought he could squeeze it in - because if he missed - it was an easy pick 6.

2. No pass rush. The key to beating Manning, Brady, Rogers and Brees is pressure. We had zero. We will be decimated if we cannot generate a pass rush somehow. If we have a pass rush - everything works better on the defense and we wouldn't be talking about our leaky secondary.

3. No rush defense. Denver was easily blowing up our DL for big gains.

4. Our WRs look good. Sanders and Brown with Miller can do some damage.

Kingmagyar
09-10-2012, 09:46 AM
1. That was a bad INT on Ben at the end of the game. It was a high risk, low reward throw. Manning would not have made a throw like that even if he thought he could squeeze it in - because if he missed - it was an easy pick 6.

Manning did in fact make the same bone headed throw in his super bowl loss to New Orleans. The guy that intercepted it? The same Tracy Porter that picked off Ben last night. Weird.

Agree 100% that it was an absolute terrible throw with little reward. Senseless really.

tony hipchest
09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
For everyone who thought Haley would wave a magic wand and return the Steelers to its glory days of smash mouth football, then last night should prepare you for the truth. The truth is we do not have the O-line right now to open holes to pound it down anyone's throat. The Steelers made an effort in this draft to improve but with Decastro out and Adams needing some seasoning we look to be as bad offensively as last years version.

The talk of ball control bears no weight with what I saw last night, since we led the league last year with a "pass happy offense". Points are what we lacked last year not offense and we did not put up any more in this first game. Honestly I was not impressed with our offense during pre-season, but it being pre-season i was not concedrned as i thought they were playing it close to the vest. But if Haley continues to call games in this fashion, we will not be as productive as last year.

The running game is ineffective the way it is being used right now. Runs dominated our calls on 1st and 2nd down leaving the team in 3rd and long, which did Ben and his receivers no favors. The offense did pretty good in converting those 3rd downs with Ben being something like 9-11 on third down with 8 conversions at one time in the fourth quarter. Another thing is on first and goal from the three we call 3 straight pass plays. The shorter the field the harder it is to pass, where's the logic .

.excellent breakdown and synopsis.

i just want to add that we did peyton manning a HUGE favor last night.

any other year it is a great idea to play ball control, shorten the game, and take the ball out of peyton mannings hand. pretty much get him "cold" by icing him on the bench (which we did- he didnt throw a single pass for about an hour).

this is exactly what he needed in his first game back after 4 neck surgeries and not playing 4 quarters in over a year. it was probably the easiest game he ever played which is ironic that he is older playing a mile high. its worthy to note he used to kill denver (even in denver).

we shoulda been quick strike in the 1st quarter and force them to run around and play catch up, get a lead (which we proved we could do with the no huddle offense) and then take the air out of the ball. ben wasnt even looking downfield as we saw, when wallace broke free and nobody was near him. what was first in bens progressions used to be his check downs.

all this is easilly correctable. sometimes a team just comes in with a poor philosophy or gameplan.

tony hipchest
09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
3. No rush defense. Denver was easily blowing up our DL for big gains.

we gave up 1 run for 12 yards and another for 11 yards.

other than that, the broncos were 25 rushes for 71 yards. im still not seeing where we got gashed for big gains in the run game. :noidea:

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 10:00 AM
Thoughts from Mark Kaboly that I agree with:

Haley needs to adjust

It's one thing to have a balanced attack, but when you have a quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger, you have to put the ball in his hands at all times. And, eventually, Todd Haley is going to realize that. Haley tried to establish a run game early on with Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman against the Broncos and did well putting together long and time-consuming drives. But those drives didn't take advantage of the best athletes on the team -- Roethlisberger, Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Until Haley comes to the realization that Roethlisberger playing pickup-style ball is the best way to go, the offense is going to put up 19-point efforts.

Although, I wonder if Haley is really in charge. Did he formulate that game plan, or was it Art Rooney II? Given Haley's history in Arizona, he doesn't have a problem putting the ball in the air.

"But Ben missed a wide open Heath in the first scoring drive! He missed a wide open Mike Wallace! He threw a pick-six at the end! Why put the ball in his hands? Run it more like Franco and Rocky did!" Yeah, Ben didn't have his greatest game. Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers had bad games yesterday as well. Do they suck too?

Darkstorm05
09-10-2012, 10:06 AM
It seemed like the bulk of our trouble was injuries and execution. The two go hand in hand, as well. We all know the shiny new O-Line we began camp with has already been wrecked. No Harrison or Clark either. Wallace seemed to get a wake up call about what happens when you skip preseason with a brand new playbook coming in.

All those stacked up, and we just didn't get traction. I was happy to see us do some quick dump out passes, but with either side of the line caving in every other play, it wasn't going to help. I'm not sold on Redman as a starter. I know everyone loves him, but I have no grasp as to why. Last night did not enlighten me on this. To be fair, I will give him a couple more games and really do hope he proves me wrong.

I also think that going against Peyton manning piloting a team that burned us for huge passes to kick us out of the playoffs last year, they should have kept Troy back as a safety to help our weak secondary, but this didn't seem to be happening. I really don't think He should be up at the line until we know our new CBs can handle the field on their own.

Steelerfreak58
09-10-2012, 10:10 AM
Not to mention the team always seems to play like dog shit the first game of the season. It has become a standard... "if you will"

Kingmagyar
09-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Offensive play calling early hampered are ability to take a lead. Nothing wrong with throwing early running late in a game. Very predictable play calling almost vanilla play calling really.

Early on you have to wonder what was going on in Ben and Mike Wallace's head concerning the run, run, pass, play calling.

If Ben hits Heath early for that easy TD it's probably 24-24 going into their last drive.

That interception by Ben was a rookie mistake. Stare the receiver down and still having time to pick his throw with no pressure, he still pulled the trigger.

10 million dollar a year players should make an impact every game right? Where was Woodley? In fact where was our almost 9 million dollar a year man Timmons? Von Miller had two sacks for the Broncos.

Keenan Lewis has a long way to go to be an all pro as he predicts. Start by playing a little closer then ten yards off your man. In fact Ike Taylor playing nearly ten yards off his man led to the 71 yard TD.

Did we even have another O-lineman dressed last night? The way are guys get hurt on the line the team can't go with only 8 on the roster much longer.

Is newly acquired CB Demarcus Van Dyke ready to start yet?

A lot of negatives but we're real close to being a lot better. The return of hopefully a healthy James Harrison and even Ryan Clark will benefit the defense, but Lebeau has to stop having his DBs play ten yards off the receiver on short distance downs!

The offense will get a lot better, and looked really good in the passing game at times which is a good sign for a new offense. Ben made a lot of great plays moving around and throwing on the move, but he must learn to not make the rookie mistakes anymore.

Darkstorm05
09-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Keenan Lewis has a long way to go to be an all pro as he predicts. Start by playing a little closer then ten yards off your man. In fact Ike Taylor playing nearly ten yards off his man led to the 71 yard TD.

This has been a problem for years. So long, in fact, that by now one must assume the Steelers coaches think it's a benefit rather than an issue. The thing is, our backs can not close a 10 yard gap faster than Peyton Manning will throw a ball into it. Brady and Rodgers have done the same. I don't understand why nobody tries to adjust when we play these guys.

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 10:31 AM
2011 Start: Crap the bed @ Bmore. Fast-forward, people are talking #1 seed, Super Bowl bound after sound victory of Patriots

Anything is possible. I believe our Steelers are capable of righting some of the wrongs of last night's performance

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 10:37 AM
This game was nothing new - just a continuation of 2011. The o-line injuries, penalties, and Ben running for his life continue to hamper the offense. I do have hope with Haley though. I actually thought that the offense looked good at times...well, at least when throwing the ball. The run game was abysmal.

The defense in 2011, despite being #1, was smoke and mirrors. Look at the QB's they faced last year - the Steelers played a soft schedule in that regard, which elevated their overall defensive ranking. The issue then, and now, is a lack of pressure on the QB. Good QB's (Manning, Brady, Brees, etc) often tear the Steelers up because they are given time to throw the ball and very few CBs can cover a WR forever.

I don't know what the answer on D is. I love LeBeau & would hate to see anything change with him. We clearly need some youth on the d-line (McLendon for Hampton, maybe more time for Heyward too?) and clearly need to address the LB corps in the next draft.

kan_t
09-10-2012, 10:47 AM
First game observation:

1) The offensive line is nonexistence, again.

2) Not having Clark really hurt. The backfield got exposed once Troy was in the line of scrimmage. That effectively stopped the Steelers blitz.

3) Harrison needs to be back. Woodley himself can't generate enough pass rush and without Harrison the Steelers will be in the Packers' last year situation - zero QB pressure.

4) The interception was bad but overall I think Ben had a solid game, considered that he got zero helps from the offensive line and running game.

5) Miller got more involved, which is always a good thing.

6) Adams is not ready, as expected.

With Clark and Harrison back, I expect to see a totally different Steelers defense next week. My concern is the offensive line (as always).

LgFriess
09-10-2012, 10:48 AM
This game was nothing new - just a continuation of 2011. The o-line injuries, penalties, and Ben running for his life continue to hamper the offense. I do have hope with Haley though. I actually thought that the offense looked good at times...well, at least when throwing the ball. The run game was abysmal.

The defense in 2011, despite being #1, was smoke and mirrors. Look at the QB's they faced last year - the Steelers played a soft schedule in that regard, which elevated their overall defensive ranking. The issue then, and now, is a lack of pressure on the QB. Good QB's (Manning, Brady, Brees, etc) often tear the Steelers up because they are given time to throw the ball and very few CBs can cover a WR forever.

I don't know what the answer on D is. I love LeBeau & would hate to see anything change with him. We clearly need some youth on the d-line (McLendon for Hampton, maybe more time for Heyward too?) and clearly need to address the LB corps in the next draft.

I think you are spot on with your assessment. The defense lives or dies on QB pressure. All in all though, it was a winnable game, on the road, with a mess of key injuries (again...sigh). The D is looking a little old but I think they still have a solid season or two left in them. An early season loss against a tough team isn't enough reason to give up hope.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-10-2012, 10:50 AM
The offense, for the most part, did its job. Peyton Manning only had the ball for 36 seconds in the 3rd quarter, and we kept the ball out of his hands for nearly an hour into the second half (including halftime). They put up points, albeit not as many as we would like (an Oline would help quite a bit).

The defense is what failed us big time last night. Peyton only had the ball for 36 seconds in the 3rd quarter, but it ony took him 18 seconds to put up 7 points on our defense. That screen to Demaryius Thomas should NEVER have happened. Harrison would have sealed off that side better-- Carter was WAYYY out of position. And Ryan Clark would have blown that shit up before it got 5 yards downfield.

At this point, we need to be worried about:

* Oline depth (or lack thereof)
* Dline
* LB
* CB's/Safeties

Good thing we get Clark back next week, and maybe we can wipe the bad taste out of our mouths if we can nuke Tebow and the Jets.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Offense put points on the board and drained the clock, and our defense allowed Denver to do the same in less than half the time. Our coverage unit without Clark is god-awful, and I really liked Haley's gameplan. Certainly not going to question it in week one.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

-Offense consumed clock, scored points, but hopefully will improve. (the coming out party for Redman never happened)

-lack of a pass rush on Defense and no Ryan Clark really were evident. Those that think Ryan Mundy can be a starter in this league are really confused.

-injuries to Foster and Gilbert hurt. Legursky is a stop gap player, but not a starter. Adams played well, but again had lapses. I am fine with him playing RT and learning if Gilbert is out for extended time.

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 11:16 AM
I think you are spot on with your assessment. The defense lives or dies on QB pressure. All in all though, it was a winnable game, on the road, with a mess of key injuries (again...sigh). The D is looking a little old but I think they still have a solid season or two left in them. An early season loss against a tough team isn't enough reason to give up hope.

Totally agree. I think the D has enough left in the tank for a playoff run this year, but they need Harrison back and HAVE to get more push out of the D-line..or it's gonna be a long painful season.

Unfortunately, I think the o-line issues may force the Steelers to throw more, which will lead to more hits on Ben, and more mistakes. But, we have the weapons to win that type of game, so I'm not as concerned about the O as much as I am the D.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2012, 11:17 AM
another thought was that I think the CB's actually played pretty well. There were some passes that were just on the mark and the close coverage didnt matter. There were others where the separation was more than you would like and a great QB like manning took advantage of it.

I think as always, the Steelers secondary is VERY dependant on the amount of QB pressure that is applied and there was very little last night.

lotas
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Adams looks like molasses out there against the pass rush, god damn.

Bottom line, this game was 1 - 2 plays away from being a W for the Steelers. I think there were many positives coming away from it.

It's a loss, move on, focus on week 2. Championship teams improve every week as the season goes on and peak at the right time, we all know this from experience.

You don't want to be playing your best football in Week 1.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Keep one thing in mind: today's NFL isn't about possession, it's about scoring TDs. If you don't believe me, ask Mr. Manning.

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
another thought was that I think the CB's actually played pretty well. There were some passes that were just on the mark and the close coverage didnt matter. There were others where the separation was more than you would like and a great QB like manning took advantage of it.

I think as always, the Steelers secondary is VERY dependant on the amount of QB pressure that is applied and there was very little last night.

You're right - on defense, it ALL comes down to QB pressure. That was an issue last year, resulting in the fewest forced TOs in the league.

LeBeau has got to find a way to put pressure on the QB or the Steelers are toast.

TRH
09-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Keep one thing in mind: today's NFL isn't about possession, it's about scoring TDs. If you don't believe me, ask Mr. Manning.

I hear ya. If i hear one more thing about "time of possession", i'm going to hurl. The ONLY good thing about it was that it gave less opportunity for Denver to score and thats about it. If they would have been on the field for any normal amount of time, it would have been 50-19

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Of course. Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers...even Favre back in the day...those guys often had lower T.O.P. numbers because they scored TDs so quickly.

TOP is an overrated stat & is meaningless if your defense can't hold a lead.

TRH
09-10-2012, 11:39 AM

i agree.
Our defense is (and has been) fools gold.

Every good QB we see this year is probably going to completely light up our defense.
I like LeBeau and don't place 100% of the blame on him, because you are only as good as the personnel you can get out there on the field. But also, one has to decide if they want to WIN....or do they just wanna say "uhhh...Dick LeBeau is our defensive coordinator". The guys that were on the field looked barely alive out there....and slow.

I've also not sure if i've ever seen a team so BAD...so horrible..at producing turnovers. Its as if they're not even trying to strip balls or intercept passes. This continues from last year too. Unbelievably frustrating.

There comes a time when certain players careers are over, and i'm really wondering about James Harrison and his injuries.
Guess what we'll start addressing next off-season??

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I hear ya. If i hear one more thing about "time of possession", i'm going to hurl. The ONLY good thing about it was that it gave less opportunity for Denver to score and thats about it. If they would have been on the field for any normal amount of time, it would have been 50-19

The only way TOP could have helped last night is if the Steelers had the lead & the ball late. They used win that way game after game - up 17-14 with the ball in the 4th with 6 minutes left. They'd chew up the clock & suck the life out of the game and the opponent.

I don't know about you, but I just KNEW that if Pitt scored late and took the lead, Manning would march down the field in a matter of 40 seconds for a field goal try. That's where TOP would help.

TRH
09-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Yep. Real bad throw. He threw one into the seams earlier in the game that he completely LUCKED out on.....and should have been intercepted there too if Denver had been paying attention. Both bad throws.

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 11:47 AM
i agree.
Our defense is (and has been) fools gold.

Every good QB we see this year is probably going to completely light up our defense.
I like LeBeau and don't place 100% of the blame on him, because you are only as good as the personnel you can get out there on the field. But also, one has to decide if they want to WIN....or do they just wanna say "uhhh...Dick LeBeau is our defensive coordinator". The guys that were on the field looked barely alive out there....and slow.

I've also not sure if i've ever seen a team so BAD...so horrible..at producing turnovers. Its as if they're not even trying to strip balls or intercept passes. This continues from last year too. Unbelievably frustrating.

There comes a time when certain players careers are over, and i'm really wondering about James Harrison and his injuries.
Guess what we'll start addressing next off-season??

True about Dick. Love the guy & what he's done for Pitt and the NFL, but....maybe....the Steelers need to think about changing schemes? I just know that I'm growing tired of watching the D-line & LBs get all mashed up in a big pile 10 feet from the QB game after game.

Never Satisfied
09-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Anyone who saw last night's game will use the no huddle against us. They guys were gassed and we coulnd't change personnel. Timmons looks like a 40 year old man as slow as he is. Flacco will have a field day with us.

So what I don't get is with no D-line, not to mention where was Woodley?, why are we playing 10-15 yards off the receivers? Bad play, bad coaching, bad conditioning.

TRH
09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Anyone who saw last night's game will use the no huddle against us. They guys were gassed and we coulnd't change personnel. Timmons looks like a 40 year old man as slow as he is. Flacco will have a field day with us.

So what I don't get is with no D-line, not to mention where was Woodley?, why are we playing 10-15 yards off the receivers? Bad play, bad coaching, bad conditioning.

Woodley's a mystery. I like the guy and he plays like an All-Pro at times. But he also goes very long stretches where he's nearly completely invisible.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 12:16 PM
You guys are gonna hate hearing this.... but Art Rooney II needs to be blamed as well. This is his vision of the Steelers - more running on first and second downs, more concern on time of possession instead of scoring. I'm really not sure how much Haley can be blamed at all for the conservative play-calling in the first-half. Is that what he really wanted to do? Or did he have orders from higher up?

The season isn't over, but if the Steelers continue to play this outdated version of football then they will be an 8-8 team.

SteelCurtain5643
09-10-2012, 12:18 PM
I really wish we could go one friggin game without someone on the O-line getting hurt. Its absolutely ridiculous how we get so many injuries. I think thats the main reason we lost last night, you just cant have your qb scrambling around every single down and taking hits all the time. It is week 1 tho and I think we'll be alright

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 12:21 PM

Could be a couple things..

1 - our DBs aren't strong enough to play bump & run, and don't have the make-up speed to make a play if they are beaten off the line.

2 - with Troy freelancing everywhere, the DBs don't have over-the-top help from the Safeties

Which leads to another point, maybe it's time for Troy to play a more traditional Safety role? He doesn't have the speed he used to have & the other DBs and LBs aren't able to cover the field enough to make up for the absence of TP in the secondary.

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 12:26 PM
You guys are gonna hate hearing this.... but Art Rooney II needs to be blamed as well. This is his vision of the Steelers - more running on first and second downs, more concern on time of possession instead of scoring. I'm really not sure how much Haley can be blamed at all for the conservative play-calling in the first-half. Is that what he really wanted to do? Or did he have orders from higher up?

The season isn't over, but if the Steelers continue to play this outdated version of football then they will be an 8-8 team.

I can appreciate Rooney's desire to stick with "the Steeler Way." I, for one, would prefer the smash-mouth brand that Pitt perfected for so long. However, they don't have the personnel to make it work. Gone are the days when the Steelers opponents KNEW what was in store & STILL couldn't stop it.

In business, if things aren't working and the company is struggling, one of two things must change. The people or the plan. Sometimes both.

sexyllama
09-10-2012, 12:28 PM
1. Offense didn't look bad except for the lack of TD's

but as I've stated for years...
2. Our pass Defense is horrible. We have no CB's who can cover... there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of the slot receiver the entire second half.
2a. I think Denver ran the same comeback route the entire second half. Open every time.
2b. Do we ever make adjustment vs. quick passing attacks?
2c. If Tebow could shred us then...:banging: it doesn't bode well but it's the first game so we'll see.

MeanGee2047
09-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Was not a great showing on either side of the ball...lost 2 more offensive line men and the defense was non existent. Denver scored on every possession? Wow....entirely too early to worry....they just have to work on getting better....Denver was tougher and better prepared. May be time to make some changes to our defensive schemes. Are the Steelers too predictable now?

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
I can appreciate Rooney's desire to stick with "the Steeler Way." I, for one, would prefer the smash-mouth brand that Pitt perfected for so long. However, they don't have the personnel to make it work. Gone are the days when the Steelers opponents KNEW what was in store & STILL couldn't stop it.

In business, if things aren't working and the company is struggling, one of two things must change. The people or the plan. Sometimes both.

Like it or not, the Steelers must play more like the Saints and the Packers on offense if they want to increase their chances of winning. The offense cannot worry about how much rest the defense gets, they need to worry about scoring touchdowns.

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 12:39 PM
1. Offense didn't look bad except for the lack of TD's

but as I've stated for years...
2. Our pass Defense is horrible. We have no CB's who can cover... there wasn't a defender within 5 yards of the slot receiver the entire second half.
2a. I think Denver ran the same comeback route the entire second half. Open every time.
2b. Do we ever make adjustment vs. quick passing attacks?
2c. If Tebow could shred us then...:banging: it doesn't bode well but it's the first game so we'll see.

It all comes down to QB pressure. I watched most of the Skins/Saints game yesterday. The reason the Skins won, more so than RG3, was that they were CONSTANTLY in Brees's mug all day. He had almost no time to throw the ball.

The Steelers D used to do that, but not so much anymore.

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Like it or not, the Steelers must play more like the Saints and the Packers on offense if they want to increase their chances of winning. The offense cannot worry about how much rest the defense gets, they need to worry about scoring touchdowns.

No argument from me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they have the o-line needed to play like the Saints and Packers. On a side note...I'd love to see Rainey become a Sproles type of player!

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
No argument from me. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they have the o-line needed to play like the Saints and Packers. On a side note...I'd love to see Rainey become a Sproles type of player!

That's where more no-huddle needs to come in. It makes it easier on the Steelers' offensive line if the other team's defense is gassed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2012, 12:50 PM
You're right - on defense, it ALL comes down to QB pressure. That was an issue last year, resulting in the fewest forced TOs in the league.

LeBeau has got to find a way to put pressure on the QB or the Steelers are toast.

Look at Derek Wolfe push the pocket and get upfield and compare that to Ziggy Hood or Brett Keisel.......not really happening.

Likewise, Von Miller and Dumerville is a better tandem than Chris Carter, Lamarr Woodley and/or Jason Worilds. Talent makes coaches look good.

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
That's where more no-huddle needs to come in. It makes it easier on the Steelers' offensive line if the other team's defense is gassed.

Once again, I agree. Why on Earth do we NOT run the no-huddle more often? It's been proven to work for us, Ben likes it, and it assists the o-line by not requiring them to hold blocks forever.

WE NEED MORE NO-HUDDLE!! (think Saturday night live with Will Ferrell and Christopher Walken) :chuckle:

SteeleReign
09-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Look at Derek Wolfe push the pocket and get upfield and compare that to Ziggy Hood or Brett Keisel.......not really happening.

Likewise, Von Miller and Dumerville is a better tandem than Chris Carter, Lamarr Woodley and/or Jason Worilds. Talent makes coaches look good.

Just think of the impact a Dwight Freeney would have on the ENTIRE defense.

Back to reality...how much time did McLendon get last night?

TRH
09-10-2012, 01:07 PM

that good?? If they continue to play like this, nearly every offense will light us up, and it won't be 8-8....we'll be somewhere under .500, no question

inturnmike
09-10-2012, 01:32 PM
This has been a problem for years. So long, in fact, that by now one must assume the Steelers coaches think it's a benefit rather than an issue. The thing is, our backs can not close a 10 yard gap faster than Peyton Manning will throw a ball into it. Brady and Rodgers have done the same. I don't understand why nobody tries to adjust when we play these guys.

Holy Crappe...I have been yelling this very same thing at my TV screen for thelongest time. I am soooo sick and tired of our defense giving all of the receivers a 5-10 yard cushion on every play, especially on third downs...How many times do we have to have the air taken out of our sails on third down conversions because they through a quick slant and we go up and miss the tackle? Peyton carved us up in the 2nd half from this...It HAS to stop!

mikegrimey
09-10-2012, 01:59 PM
0-1 with a "true" fullback
Haha

Never Satisfied
09-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Holy Crappe...I have been yelling this very same thing at my TV screen for thelongest time. I am soooo sick and tired of our defense giving all of the receivers a 5-10 yard cushion on every play, especially on third downs...How many times do we have to have the air taken out of our sails on third down conversions because they through a quick slant and we go up and miss the tackle? Peyton carved us up in the 2nd half from this...It HAS to stop!

We have done well paying tight man against Brady in the past. Why we don't tighen up on no huddle is beyond me. I'd rather get burned deep than have them march down the field time and again only to score at will anyway.

sexyllama
09-10-2012, 02:16 PM
0-1 with a "true" fullback
Haha

I don't think you can pin this directly on the Offense. We took back the lead MULTIPLE times... the defense had plenty of rest. They couldn't stop anything...

I think the Broncos scored on every drive in the second half. Any team with a QB who can throw and read a Defense keys in and will take the *EASY* 5-10 yard passes- they are open all day long. It's been like that since the Arizona 2H Super Bowl.

We never adjust and play the same base defense. How many times did you see the 10-yard comeback from the Denver slot.

If you think BA is great check out the 3 Ints and Luck getting killed on 1/4 of his pass attempts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Just think of the impact a Dwight Freeney would have on the ENTIRE defense.

Back to reality...how much time did McLendon get last night?

McLendon did get time, but didnt impress much. I was more surprised in seeing Al Woods on the field at times. Hood needs to step his game up and keep Al Woods off the field unless he is injured.

mikegrimey
09-10-2012, 02:30 PM
I don't think you can pin this directly on the Offense. We took back the lead MULTIPLE times... the defense had plenty of rest. They couldn't stop anything...

I think the Broncos scored on every drive in the second half. Any team with a QB who can throw and read a Defense keys in and will take the *EASY* 5-10 yard passes- they are open all day long. It's been like that since the Arizona 2H Super Bowl.

We never adjust and play the same base defense. How many times did you see the 10-yard comeback from the Denver slot.

If you think BA is great check out the 3 Ints and Luck getting killed on 1/4 of his pass attempts.

I was only joking friend, just having a good laugh with a cheeky comment

jiminpa
09-10-2012, 03:20 PM
We were playing Peyton Manning in Denver on opening day, and we were in it until Ben forced an interception at the end of the game. Seriously, the sky is not falling. Troy has lost a step, but he still got in Manning's head at will, but we were in Denver and needed him to play safety, because our backup safeties are liabilities.

It's a new offense and every sub we had was playing on the OL. We'll get better on both sides of the ball.

Millers the sh!t
09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Upset I only saw one screen pass.

98% of the team looked rusty.

Dumb penalties especially at the o line.

Running game was anemic but I'm glad they didn't abandon the run too early. This o line needs to toughen up and learn how to play physical. It's obvious Bens passing is the only offensive threat we still have.

Dropped balls hurt.

Hang tight guys. Well be better my week 6

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:59 PM
We were playing Peyton Manning in Denver on opening day, and we were in it until Ben forced an interception at the end of the game. Seriously, the sky is not falling. Troy has lost a step, but he still got in Manning's head at will, but we were in Denver and needed him to play safety, because our backup safeties are liabilities.

It's a new offense and every sub we had was playing on the OL. We'll get better on both sides of the ball.

They don't have much time to stay on a learning curve. They need to forget this "going back to Steelers football" bullshit because it's not going to work. Right now, I don't know what to think of Todd Haley. Is this really what he wants, or is Art Rooney II telling him how to call a game? He sure wasn't shy about passing in Arizona - that's why I'm thinking the latter.

The NFL isn't a possession league, it's a SCORING league. It's not a running league. The Jags had the leading rusher in MJD and their offense SUCKED ASS! Running is purely complementary now just to mix things up. Balance - MEANINGLESS. This team has a strength in it's QB, 3 WRs, and a pretty good TE... so what should the Steelers do? Of course! Hand off to Redman! :doh:

Some of you really need to let go of the 70's. No, you don't need to stubbornly pound away like Franco and Rocky. No, you do not need to establish a running game to have a strong passing game. You need to go up-tempo, fast, and score touchdowns. When you get the ball back, run-up the score. Don't worry about how much rest the defense is getting, not the offense's problem.

"But Ben missed Heath in the endzone and threw a pick-six to ruin any comeback attempt!" Yeah, he had a bad game. So did Drew Brees. So did Aaron Rodgers. Eli Manning wasn't great last Wednesday either. Guess they all suck too huh?

But you know what, if the Steelers are going to lose, then lose with your best players. Lose with Ben, Wallace, Brown, Sanders, and Heath playing their asses off. Don't do it handing off to Redman on every first and second down because the team owner can't accept the reality of today's NFL.

Steel_Bus_24
09-10-2012, 05:12 PM
I wasn't that upset with the loss at first.....we did some good things in a tough environment with some missing personnel........

but then you look at the schedule and realize we don't have time to F*** around for a month

Ben is going to have to play out of his mind with the O-Line as banged up and ineffective as it is in the run game...We can't have those Bone-Head INTs

The constant injuries to this teams O-Line is just almost unbelievable....Im so sick of this sh**. Look at our 08 SB Line....They sucked but at least they were healthy enough to max out their Chemistry/Potential

Defense better learn how to defend against the Option Read.....Manning wasn't even a threat to run, yet how many times did they look like they didn't no what the hell they were doing out there.....The Jets are going to trot Tebow out there and try and embarrass with that sh** again

We have to be able to get pressure with 4.....The NFL rules have changed so much in favor of the QB and Wrs that that extra guy in Coverage is crucial.

ETL
09-10-2012, 07:28 PM
we gave up 1 run for 12 yards and another for 11 yards.

other than that, the broncos were 25 rushes for 71 yards. im still not seeing where we got gashed for big gains in the run game. :noidea:

If u were happy with our run defense in the second half of that game then I worry about your football acumen.

LVSteelersfan
09-10-2012, 07:35 PM
The CB who had a bead on Thomas was held big time by the lineman who was downfield. That play should have been called back. In my mind that play was the one that deflated the defense. These replacement refs suck big time.

lardlad
09-10-2012, 09:16 PM
The offense is taking a lot of criticism, but I loved some of the things a saw Ben do. Seems more mature. Sure he could have been picked 4 times, but I thought the plays looked deliberate, like they actually came from a play book.

Ok so listen, I'm not trying to look for reasons to blame the qb. I think Ben did ok and I think he will grow quite a bit this season. But could it be the way he plays that raises the risk of OL injuries? Man these guys are always hurt. I can't imagine it is easy for them to stay with the play as Ben runs around like he does.

Bayz101
09-10-2012, 09:46 PM
OH MY GOD!

A thread that doesn't suggest we fire Haley, Lebeau and Ben Roethlisberger after a week one loss? What kind of voodoo shit is this!?

former RB
09-11-2012, 12:35 AM
They have no pass rush.
They are soft up the middle on D.
Their LB's are grossly over-rated and over-paid.
They have deep speed at WR, but the QB can't throw a good deep ball.
The QB holds the ball too long, resulting in busted plays.
And the O-line couldn't block my grandmother.
And they'll be lucky to go 8-8.

what team is this?:noidea:

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 01:42 AM
Disappointed, but ready to move forward

Posted by Teresa Varley on September 10, 2012

The Steelers arrived back in Pittsburgh in the wee hours of the morning after Sunday night’s loss in Denver, but the players were back at the team’s practice facility by mid-afternoon to watch film.

For running back Jonathan Dwyer, who had nine carries for 43 yards while sharing time with Isaac Redman, it was a chance to look at the mistakes he made and start working on correcting them.

“I made some little mistakes, things that aren’t acceptable in our (running backs) room,” said Dwyer. “They are things I will get fixed and we will all get fixed as a running back unit and we will all be better next week.

“I have room for improvement. I am never satisfied with anything I do. Every day is an interview with us here in Pittsburgh and that is the way I want to keep it.”

Dwyer liked the fact that the Steelers held the edge over the Broncos in time of possession, 35:05 to 24:55, but knows they have to capitalize on opportunities. The Steelers had to settle for a field goal after driving 64 yards in 8:55 and he knows they need touchdowns, not field goals, on drives like that.

“We did pretty well controlling the ball, making plays, but we need to do better with our opportunities in the red zone scoring points,” said Dwyer. “We need to try to keep their defense on the field for a long time so we can give our defense a break.

“Everybody is fine. Everybody is disappointed about the loss, but it’s early in the season. We will move on, learn from our situation, get better and get ready for New York this week.”

Dwyer knows that Sunday’s game against the Jets at Heinz Field is a big one, as the team does not want to start the season in too deep a hole.

“This week is very important,” said Dwyer. “Every week is important. The first didn’t go as we wanted, but we are going to make sure we put ourselves in a better situation this week than we did last week.”

http://blog.steelers.com/2012/09/10/disappointed-but-ready-to-move-forward/