PDA

View Full Version : Ben's last season in the Burgh!

steelfan23
09-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes I know I am going to get blasted but here goes. Ben throughout his career has shown the ability to extend plays and perform well, including an amazing performance in the SB v. Cardinals. However, he is mostly to blame for needing to extend plays imho. He simply is not very good at pre snap recognition and does not go through his progressions properly. Under Arians he was given free reign which of course he preferred. Now with Haley, he needs to go through his reads and take what the D gives him but he cannot and will fail. Before this season is over there will be a huge blowup between the two of them. I watch these games live, EVERY game, and then I also rewatch in slow mo via DVR. More often than not, Ben has someone open but doesn't pull the trigger. This leads to forced passes, QB pressures, and sacks. On pretty much every play he has a safer option to take and fails to do so. This is what separates him from the elite like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers. He just can't process the info fast enough.

Sure he makes up for some of that with athleticism but it is really going to come home to roost this year under Haley. Looking around the league with all these young QB it is time we realize we need to draft a young signal caller and fast because Ben will not lead us to another SB. I know it's blasphemous to many but it's time to take off the rose colored glasses and see that he is not the guy you think he is.

Sharkissle29
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Week 2 can't get here fast enough.

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
good lord - THIS is what you came up with after the game?

Oh yea, "2 posts" nuff said.

Twentyvalve
09-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Safe options do not take teams to Super Bowls. The man has been been to three, and won two. The third was within his grasp. And even if he does not bring another ring to Pittsburgh, he will go down as one of the best QB's of this era. A rushed QB with a crappy line leads to forced passes and scrambling. Give him a line, and I will show you a three time SB winner.

Yes I know I am going to get blasted but here goes. Ben throughout his career has shown the ability to extend plays and perform well, including an amazing performance in the SB v. Cardinals. However, he is mostly to blame for needing to extend plays imho. He simply is not very good at pre snap recognition and does not go through his progressions properly. Under Arians he was given free reign which of course he preferred. Now with Haley, he needs to go through his reads and take what the D gives him but he cannot and will fail. Before this season is over there will be a huge blowup between the two of them. I watch these games live, EVERY game, and then I also rewatch in slow mo via DVR. More often than not, Ben has someone open but doesn't pull the trigger. This leads to forced passes, QB pressures, and sacks. On pretty much every play he has a safer option to take and fails to do so. This is what separates him from the elite like Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers. He just can't process the info fast enough.

Sure he makes up for some of that with athleticism but it is really going to come home to roost this year under Haley. Looking around the league with all these young QB it is time we realize we need to draft a young signal caller and fast because Ben will not lead us to another SB. I know it's blasphemous to many but it's time to take off the rose colored glasses and see that he is not the guy you think he is.

lloydwoodson
09-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Don't know what game the op was watching. They showed Ben's stats on 3rd down and he was 11 of 14 at one point. Ben consistently moved the chains from 3rd and longs. I was very impressed with the offense. Unfortunate pick 6 was the difference in the game. Happens to the best- even Peyton Manning.

tanda10506
09-10-2012, 01:39 PM
What's your point? Even if your points were true, how would that make it his last season in Pittsburgh? You think they are going to try to trade him or something because fans don't think he's as good as Manning or Brady?

Fire Haley
09-10-2012, 01:43 PM
this board sucks

MasterOfPuppets
09-10-2012, 01:47 PM
http://www.thehecklerstore.com/product_images/j/333/FairWeather400w__70617_zoom.jpg

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 01:52 PM
and Ben will braked his is nosed . . .

Steelerfreak58
09-10-2012, 01:57 PM
FIRE TOMLIN FIRE HALEY FIRE BEN!

FIRE ARIANS! Oh wait....

FIRE LEBAEU! FIRE TROY!

FIRE THE NEW ROOKIE PUNTER TOO!

I love the panic button around here.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Not to even give validity to the original post, but Ben really carried the team on his shoulders last night. He got no help from the running game or offensive line, and very little help from the defense.

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Ben is a MAN, MAN - MANEY MANEY, MAN-MAN-MAN

BEN IS MA-MAYON!

TheDoctorBeat
09-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Not sure if trolling...

Ben was calling plays like a boss, he damn near pulled out a victory on that last drive. He owned up to his mistake, he's becoming a great leader.

Steelerfreak58
09-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Not to even give validity to the original post, but Ben really carried the team on his shoulders last night. He got no help from the running game or offensive line, and very little help from the defense.

But they want to fire him! Last season you know?

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 02:09 PM
I think whatever growing pains we may have had will pay off in the long haul

that is all:thumbsup:

steelfan23
09-10-2012, 02:34 PM
okay fanboys

vindrow
09-10-2012, 02:37 PM

I nominate this to be one of the dumbest posts of the season:doh:

pancake
09-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm guessing Ravens fan...

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 02:43 PM
ah, but he's just a little guy!

STEELAMANIA
09-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Ben played like crap in the opener last year too. But we all know that the Steelers rebound with a vengeance!! GO STEELERS

steelfan23
09-10-2012, 03:05 PM
I must be a Ravens fan because I don't lap up the mediocrity of our QB. I guess I imagined his 47 QBR last night. Too funny

beer72
09-10-2012, 03:18 PM
FIRE TOMLIN FIRE HALEY FIRE BEN!

FIRE ARIANS! Oh wait....

FIRE LEBAEU! FIRE TROY!

FIRE THE NEW ROOKIE PUNTER TOO!

I love the panic button around here.
Really Its one game

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 03:35 PM

Hey ding dong, you do realize Ben bailed this offense out ELEVEN OUT OF FIFTEEN TIMES in 3rd an long situation because of conservative, predictable play-calling? No, his game was not perfect, far from it. And I think he'd be the first to say it and accept blame (more than he should). However, the Steelers were not putting him into a position to succeed. They want to run run run and run early on, then ask Ben to bail them out in the end. And if he doesn't - BOOOOOOO HE SUCKS!

By the way, did you know your Steel Curtain sucks right now? Or were you too busy blaming Ben?

StainlessStill
09-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Excruciating around any boards after a loss. F*cking RELAX! Our ONLY issue remains red-zone scoring. If we find a way to put the ball into the endzone, this team could score 28-31 points consistently. We're going to be hard to beat. As good as Denver looked, they struggled their ASS'S off to put us away with our last-lineman dressed and without our star OLB and, again, FS out of the lineup!

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:04 PM
Excruciating around any boards after a loss. F*cking RELAX! Our ONLY issue remains red-zone scoring. If we find a way to put the ball into the endzone, this team could score 28-31 points consistently. We're going to be hard to beat. As good as Denver looked, they struggled their ASS'S off to put us away with our last-lineman dressed and without our star OLB and, again, FS out of the lineup!

True, but the other issue was conservative and predictable play-calling and not using their best weapons.

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I must be a Ravens fan because I don't lap up the mediocrity of our QB. I guess I imagined his 47 QBR last night. Too funny

Troll, joined after a loss. Yeah, big fan of the Black and Gold.:rofl:

StainlessStill
09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
True, but the other issue was conservative and predictable play-calling and not using their best weapons.

Heath Miller was tearing it up. Wallace scored a touchdown. Brown was THIS CLOSE from having two TD's himself. That second one to where Ben GUNNED IT IN THERE before Adams got a hand in was OH-SO-CLOSE (Ben had a hit to the head AND A FACEMASK that was missed on that play.) Miller was WIDE OPEN in the endzone. Dwyer was kicking people around. Sanders had big 3rd down grabs.

It's there, we just need to find a way to get this thing tighter. For our first overall performance, I liked some of the stuff I saw.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Heath Miller was tearing it up. Wallace scored a touchdown. Brown was THIS CLOSE from having two TD's himself. That second one to where Ben GUNNED IT IN THERE before Adams got a hand in was OH-SO-CLOSE (Ben had a hit to the head AND A FACEMASK that was missed on that play.) Miller was WIDE OPEN in the endzone. Dwyer was kicking people around. Sanders had big 3rd down grabs.

It's there, we just need to find a way to get this thing tighter. For our first overall performance, I liked some of the stuff I saw.

And the Steelers could have gotten off to a faster start. But no - run run pass. That's what Art wants because it would make granddaddy happy. The Steelers need to enter the new NFL and let go of the team from the 70's.

rgj
09-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Someone on another post somewhere noticed the difference between the "no huddle" of Denver and ours. Manning was in total control, often taking the snap with 12 to 20 seconds left on the play clock. He did not seem too flustered (though he did resort to taking a time out or two when Palamalu threatened to jump over center!). On the other hand, the Steelers were constantly waiting until 01 second to snap the ball. Ben looked confused with the defense, where he was going, who was the primary target. Now I realize part of that is decoy, but the difference between the two was striking.

I don't really blame the offense for the loss, other than a blown play here or there (redzone scoring is still a worry).

I am much more concerned about our defense. I saw no pressure on Manning after the 1st quarter. I saw the corners play William Gay ball, I saw the soft defensive interior line get pushed around.

Overall, I am real concerned about this season. I think the offense will grow (hopefully), but it's the defense that causes me great alarm.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Someone on another post somewhere noticed the difference between the "no huddle" of Denver and ours. Manning was in total control, often taking the snap with 12 to 20 seconds left on the play clock. He did not seem too flustered (though he did resort to taking a time out or two when Palamalu threatened to jump over center!). On the other hand, the Steelers were constantly waiting until 01 second to snap the ball. Ben looked confused with the defense, where he was going, who was the primary target. Now I realize part of that is decoy, but the difference between the two was striking.

I don't really blame the offense for the loss, other than a blown play here or there (redzone scoring is still a worry).

I am much more concerned about our defense. I saw no pressure on Manning after the 1st quarter. I saw the corners play William Gay ball, I saw the soft defensive interior line get pushed around.

Overall, I am real concerned about this season. I think the offense will grow (hopefully), but it's the defense that causes me great alarm.

Ben called for the snap with 1 second left because the Steelers were trying to play the possession game instead of trying to score. Perhaps the coaching staff should've looked at what Manning was doing and adjusted, but no - gotta play old-fashioned STILLERS FOOTBALL!

WVABE
09-10-2012, 04:31 PM
If anyone needs to go its those back-up refs, they stink horribly.

Buddha Bus
09-10-2012, 04:33 PM
http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/1505004552.gif

StainlessStill
09-10-2012, 04:35 PM
And the Steelers could have gotten off to a faster start. But no - run run pass. That's what Art wants because it would make granddaddy happy. The Steelers need to enter the new NFL and let go of the team from the 70's.

We'll be fine.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:39 PM
We'll be fine.

They will be fine once they decide to accept they have a great QB, great receivers, and come into the new millennium of football.

Hawaii 5-0
09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
They will be fine once they decide to accept they have a great QB, great receivers, and come into the new millennium of football.

Steelers passed the ball 40 times last night while only running the ball 26 times.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Steelers passed the ball 40 times last night while only running the ball 26 times.

Well when you're running game sucks to begin with of course you'll end up throwing more. I would prefer they pass early and often, mixing in the run to keep the defense off base - that's pretty much what the Broncos did and they were more successful running than the Steelers were.

I know, passing to set up the run isn't granddaddy's way, but it's the way of today's NFL.

SteelHaven
09-10-2012, 04:53 PM

Well then you must be a new football fan.

I get that maybe you don't like his style or whatever but he is still a franchise qb regardless if you agree with that or not. Franchise quarterbacks do not grow on trees. You don't just give away a franchise quarterback. It's gonna take us YEARS to find another one after Ben retires.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Well then you must be a new football fan.

I get that maybe you don't like his style or whatever but he is still a franchise qb regardless if you agree with that or not. Franchise quarterbacks do not grow on trees. You don't just give away a franchise quarterback. It's gonna take us YEARS to find another one after Ben retires.

Maybe they'll go back to 90's football when Ben retires. :doh:

Deserei90
09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
Everyone that's worrying needs to chill out. It's way too early to judge where this team really stands. I mean we have to remember, No Clark, No Harrison, No Mendenhall, No Gilbert and DeCastro hurt us big time, especially against a QB Like Peyton Manning in Denver. Granted, I am frustrated about the loss and I think they need to improve in certain areas, but that doesn't mean I think they're falling apart already. Let's get through a couple of games to judge where this team really is. We may actually be surprised where this team may go. My prediction is that they go on the same if not better than 12-4. Maybe 13-3. I think we all need to relax and see how this team plays on the next road game which is 2 weeks from now in Oakland.

StainlessStill
09-10-2012, 05:26 PM

We'll be fine.

StainlessStill
09-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Lmao. Exactly.

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2012, 05:30 PM
Lmao. Exactly.

Its not the number its the times and ineffective way we ran that chaffed my behind.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Lmao. Exactly.

You don't get it do you? :coffee: They were wasting time and early downs trying to establish the run, while instead they should've been using their best offensive weapon in no-huddle more often. They should have come out passing more on early downs instead of waiting for 3rd & long.

TRH
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
oh my god......that was ridiculous just reading that crap. Actually, i only got half-way through it and realized it was a waste of my life's time...

Ricco Suavez
09-10-2012, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=GoFor7;1027904]You don't get it do you? :coffee: They were wasting time and early downs trying to establish the run, while instead they should've been using their best offensive weapon in no-huddle more often. They should have come out passing more on early downs instead of waiting for 3rd & long.[/QUOTE

Go for 7 I am on your side to an extent, but I will disagree with you on this point. It is not that the Steelers tried to establish the run, its the way they went about it last night. We came out and basically ran the first two plays nearly every series and were failing at it, in doing so we put Ben and the passing game in numerous 3rd and long situations. These type of moments are what defenses look forward to. With no sign of any run holes or any breakaway runners in the backfield they were "setting" on our pass plays and Ben did an excellent job early on of overcoming such situations.

I do not feel its wasting time or possessions to try and establish the run, but I do think its a waste of time to be so obvious in it. We need to pass more on first down, even if its only a simple stop and go for 4-7 yds. Even if its only a "gulp" bubble screen that can yield some positive yardage. I think we need more two TE sets near the goaline for blocking or to slide out for short gains that could lead to TDs.

While I read of how often we pass compared to runs, I think its obvious that the run was not working great. I do feel if the runs had been just a little better the ratio could of been more like 35-30 pass/run. I just think we do not have the horses to run right now and I do not mean the backs, more like the hogs we need up front.

SH-Rock
09-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Ben made one mistake that's it. The OLine wasnt helping much either and the defense did a decent job but they really faltered at the end. Just stfu, only one L. See what we have from here and move on.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 05:58 PM
The problem is some fans look at the stat sheet afterward and say "OMG look! They did pass more than they ran and it didn't work! They gotta run more!!!!!!"

The Ravens are trusting Joe Flacco to run no huddle a lot and throw more. So if they're trusting a QB who has been wildly inconsistent throughout his career, why can't the Steelers trust their 2-time Super Bowl winning QB?

LayingTheWoodley56
09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
This is one of the dumbest posts I've seen in a long time. It sounds to me like you are trying to sound smarter as a football fan then you actually are.

The pick-six (which yes, was the deciding factor in the game) notwithstanding, I thought Ben looked fabulous last night. He made some spectacular throws that he was not capable of even a few years ago. He has evolved into a top-flight pocket passer, and his throws on third down last night to convert proved that. We will be ok. Ben and Haley will be ok, and this offense will produce like it is capable of. It's just a matter of time.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 06:18 PM
We will be ok. Ben and Haley will be ok, and this offense will produce like it is capable of. It's just a matter of time.

If the owner lets it happen and doesn't get enamored with 70's smashmouth.

LVSteelersfan
09-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Bottom line is the Steelers are never ready for road games when they travel west. It happens over and over and over again. I amost looked like they gave up in the second half on the defensive side of the ball. I am highly disappointed in Hood and Timmons. They are supposed to be splash players. Troy is pretty much useless when Clark isn't playing. They play off of each other. Ryan Mundy, not so much. So the defense wasn't up to par missing Harrison and Clark. We are at a huge disadvantage with a QB like Manning when Foote is on the field. He just can't hang with anyone in the passing game.

The idea that Ben will be gone by next year has got to the the most bizarre, ridiculous statement I have heard in a long time. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!! Go be a fan of the Patriots, Packers or Saints if you want that 5000 yard QB.

Hawaii 5-0
09-10-2012, 06:54 PM
If the owner lets it happen and doesn't get enamored with 70's smashmouth.

:deadhorse:

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 06:59 PM
:deadhorse:

I know, Yinzer Nation is beating a dead horse when they demand the NFL goes old-school.

zcoop
09-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I know, Yinzer Nation is beating a dead horse when they demand the NFL goes old-school.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwwwww. :chuckle: Get up Horse.

Twentyvalve
09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
So we can kill it and beat it some more . . .

Yeeeeeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwwwwww. :chuckle: Get up Horse.

steelfan23
09-10-2012, 07:27 PM

I am not blaming Ben solely for this loss. I am just saying he is not the elite QB most of you guys think he is. He has always waited till play clock was at one. He has been doing it for years. It's because his pre snap recognition is garbage. If you ask any non Steeler fan to name QB they'd rather start there franchise with RIGHT NOW...Ben is in the lower half behind the elites, and every single first and second year starter. Reason? Because he cannot read defenses. He is amazing at improvisation and has many great attributes but running a pro offense that requires timing and accuracy and read progression he cannot do. I'm telling you, Haley is going to be watching tape and pointing out all the poor reads and missed opportunities, Ben is going to get pissed. They will lose a lot of games and before you know it the whole thing will blow up. I actually think FO is fed up with the guy anyway and having someone not up his behind like Arians pointing it out will add to calls for his being traded in offseason.

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I am not blaming Ben solely for this loss. I am just saying he is not the elite QB most of you guys think he is. He has always waited till play clock was at one. He has been doing it for years. It's because his pre snap recognition is garbage. If you ask any non Steeler fan to name QB they'd rather start there franchise with RIGHT NOW...Ben is in the lower half behind the elites, and every single first and second year starter. Reason? Because he cannot read defenses. He is amazing at improvisation and has many great attributes but running a pro offense that requires timing and accuracy and read progression he cannot do. I'm telling you, Haley is going to be watching tape and pointing out all the poor reads and missed opportunities, Ben is going to get pissed. They will lose a lot of games and before you know it the whole thing will blow up. I actually think FO is fed up with the guy anyway and having someone not up his behind like Arians pointing it out will add to calls for his being traded in offseason.

They were waiting until one second because the coaches were so worried about time of possession.

I can't describe how stupid the last few sentences of your post sound....

Hawaii 5-0
09-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I actually think FO is fed up with the guy anyway and having someone not up his behind like Arians pointing it out will add to calls for his being traded in offseason.

no one in their right mind is going to call for Ben to get traded...

steelfan23
09-10-2012, 07:40 PM
They were waiting until one second because the coaches were so worried about time of possession.

I can't describe how stupid the last few sentences of your post sound....

sounds like a lack of intelligence then. If you don't think the thought crossed their mind after a)he wrecks his bike and face b) he is accused of rape c)he is accused of sexual assault and d)we have a losing record and he clashes big with Haley as I predict then you can't keep up so stop trying. Just ignore my posts. This is big boy stuff son

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 07:49 PM
sounds like a lack of intelligence then. If you don't think the thought crossed their mind after a)he wrecks his bike and face b) he is accused of rape c)he is accused of sexual assault and d)we have a losing record and he clashes big with Haley as I predict then you can't keep up so stop trying. Just ignore my posts. This is big boy stuff son

Hey, at least Ben never killed anyone...

lardlad
09-10-2012, 07:50 PM

You know, I agree. The were a lot of good things in the offense. The running game was weak, but I think you're right. There were a bunch of good things, just didn't string them together.

It is annoying to see the focus on short gains and we still left points on the field and settled for three. That has to stop. There were other points left out there, Ben missed Wallace late in the game unbelievably wide open.

Millers the sh!t
09-10-2012, 07:50 PM

Yeah, so don't the ravens, Niners, texans, and every other team that dominates the league with great running and defense......

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Yeah, so don't the ravens, Niners, texans, and every other team that dominates the league with great running and defense......

Steelers don't have a great defense nor do they have a great running game.

Lord of Lombardi
09-10-2012, 09:56 PM
I can't decide wether to call this guy an Idiot, dumbass, deuche, queer, moron, slim jim smoker, clueless, pathetic or a Cleveland fan. Same difference I guess.

Hawaii 5-0
09-10-2012, 11:49 PM
I can't decide wether to call this guy an Idiot, dumbass, deuche, queer, moron, slim jim smoker, clueless, pathetic or a Cleveland fan. Same difference I guess.

a Cleveland fan?

now that's just plain wrong and inappropriate...

Steelersfan87
09-12-2012, 01:39 AM
As far as Roethlisberger's football intelligence goes, I have a feeling Greg Cosell knows more about football intelligence and film study than this kid. Here's what he said about Ben:

In January 2009, Roethlisberger was not very good before the snap. One of the reasons he moved as often as he did was his inconsistency in recognizing blitz concepts at the line of scrimmage. He was still processing information, trying to decipher the defense during his drop into the pocket. You cannot be controlled, decisive and precise as a quarterback playing that way. It was the singular reason Roethlisberger had such a strong tendency to play sandlot football.

The best way to portray Roethlisberger at that point in his career was this: When his pre-snap read was correct, he was outstanding, delivering with rhythm, timing and accuracy. When the picture was a little cloudy and muddied, his predisposition was to rely on his instincts. Roethlisberger was more of a reactionary quarterback, responding to (and countering) the defense after the snap with his strength, exceptional movement ability and extraordinary downfield vision on the run.

Gradually over time, Roethlisberger has gotten better and better. He’s more aware before the snap of the ball, and he’s more disciplined in the pocket. While he still has the ability to impress with his idiosyncratic combination of physicality and movement, his game is now less arbitrary, less random, more structured, and therefore more consistent. This is rarely acknowledged, however, because there has been no clear quantifiable means by which to measure the progress. The Steelers still win and Roethlisberger still makes plays. As I said earlier, case closed. End of discussion.

That misses the point entirely. One part of Roethlisberger’s improvement for which he does not get enough credit is his ability to make throws consistently from the pocket. It sounds strange to say that, because that’s the essence of NFL quarterbacking: delivering from the pocket. Yet the continued emphasis on his distinctive style has led many to disregard his pocket passing. I charted all 60 of Roethlisberger’s pass plays of 20 yards or more in 2011. Only five of them came outside the pocket. Time and again, Roethlisberger exhibited one of the most essential attributes necessary to play at a consistently high level: the ability to stand in the pocket in the face of pressure and deliver the ball with accuracy. That’s an element of his play that often gets overlooked. It shouldn’t.

Roethlisberger has a natural ability to throw with just the right amount of touch. Does he have a strong arm? Yes. But I would contend that he is more of a finesse passer with power than a pure arm-strength passer. The difference may be subtle, but it’s significant. It’s one reason he has the ability to throw from different platforms, without his feet always being set and on balance. Overall, few quarterbacks in the NFL have Roethlisberger’s throwing skill set.

In his early years, Roethlisberger was an instinctive, intuitive player who was special at times, but who had sandlot tendencies that limited his consistency. Now, after eight years as the Steelers’ starter, he’s a far more mature, disciplined quarterback. That will only lengthen his career. Will we continue to see those signature plays that have defined his career? Certainly. But my guess is we’ll see fewer of them, because he’s a better overall player.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/06/19/cosell-talks-the-ever-improving-ben-roethlisberger/

Bayz101
09-12-2012, 01:50 AM
As far as Roethlisberger's football intelligence goes, I have a feeling Greg Cosell knows more about football intelligence and film study than this kid. Here's what he said about Ben:

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/06/19/cosell-talks-the-ever-improving-ben-roethlisberger/

Excellent read. Thanks for posting.

teegre
09-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Greg Cosell is almost always spot on.  Not only does he watch more film than any other two analysts combined, he knows HOW to watch & evaluate film.  

TheDude
09-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Ben has ALWAYS been one of the best at converting 3rd down

Sunday night in Denver was no different. 11 of 15 on 3rd down, for 132 yds and 2 TDs

10 of his 11 completions on 3rd down went for either a 1st down or TD

Ben is NOT the problem

TheDude
09-12-2012, 11:38 AM
also...the lack of an effective, established running game put him in many 3rd and longs

casteeler
09-12-2012, 11:44 AM
The only way this will be Bens last season in da burgh is if the offensive line continues to preform like it did on Sunday and pretty much every game last season.

desertsteel
09-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Seriously? One game? You should be hired as the QB coach.

dyce23
09-12-2012, 04:53 PM
It's definitely not Ben's last season in Pittsburgh, nor should it be. However, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting a QB in the next 4 years to develop and possibly trade Ben when he's between 34-36. I say this, because despite the way the OP stated it, and the way the board has reacted, he kinda had some points that I agree with. I've actually been arguing those same points for at least the previous two years.

Look, Ben is great at what he does. He's a big, strong, athletic QB, and he uses those traits to get away from pressure and extend the play. On some occasions, his line would completely collapse and force him to drop his reads and scramble (the fact that this began happening VERY often a few years ago may play into his mentality now - which the line DOES still suck). But today, people, it's obvious that he holds the ball entirely too long, as well. Once he snaps the ball, if his first read isn't available, the play is going to be a long one. He does NOT read his progressions quickly which leads to him holding the ball longer than any other QB in the league (not that he's the slowest in the league reading the progressions. He IS slow, but he also relies heavily on his physical athleticism, believing he can always extend the play with his legs if he needs to). He gets away with it, however, because he's just THAT good at HIS style of football. It's NOT structured like Haley wants, with timing routes. His style is more open - in tune with a gunslinger. THAT'S the type of ball Ben wants to play...not small ball. BUT his reason isn't because it's just a preference. He's simply not good at reading his progressions. No, I'm not basing this on just one game, but off of his entire career. He's always been better in no huddle, and that's not going to change no matter who the OC is, because Ben plays better when he can freelance - just him and his receivers. Now, maybe he can learn how to become quicker at it (most QBs hit their prime now in their 30s), but I'm starting to think that you have to accept the good and the bad with Ben. The great thing for us is that he often produces more good than bad on his extended plays, although we all scream at the tv every now and then when he throws up one of those where you're just like, "WTF!". Everybody just needs to put it in perspective.

Ben is a hit-or-miss QB (probably 65-35 hit) that prefers to play the game his way, which is mostly unstructured. Some people don't like that, but that's what we have, and he gets the job done in most cases. You just have to accept the package when it comes to Ben. He's never going to be Peyton or Brees in the pocket (even if we had a line) and he's never going to match their read speeds. He will, however, do things that they CAN'T do, like sit in the pocket for 3 seconds, shake off a defender, scramble for another 5 seconds, and hit a wide open receiver down the middle of the field for a touchdown. They're all great - just different styles and skill sets.

steelax04
09-12-2012, 05:04 PM
They need to fire Arians too! Heyyyy, wait a minute...

blkngld4ever
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
are you from idaho steelfan23 waterboy sept 20012

MACH1
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM
are you from idaho steelfan23 waterboy sept 20012

I am.

QCbeauBlak
09-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Please people do not start the "where are you from" and "when did you join the forum" nonsense. This isn't an exclusive club. Everyone has their own set of eyes and every right to vent. Better to vent here then on someone's ol' lady lol...

I actually sometimes prefer the newbies perspective because it gives chance to take off the gold shaded glasses and see the team from a different view.

Big Ben has ALWAYS had big issue's playing the QB position. He is extremely talented but he is what he is. For all the praise he gets here, he damn sure deserves some negativity from time to time. If you watch as much non-Steeler football as I do, you can see quite clear Ben's deficiencies. It is okay because more time than not, he wins. But Ben deserves to be shitted on from time to time. His stats SUCK sometimes. He does not pass the eyeball test every game and we have every right to rag on him like any other player. You aren't a legend until you retire. That goes for any current pro player.

steelfan23
09-12-2012, 09:03 PM

I am 100% positive if you were in the same room as me in front of my face you'd say nothing.

steelfan23
09-12-2012, 09:06 PM
Please people do not start the "where are you from" and "when did you join the forum" nonsense. This isn't an exclusive club. Everyone has their own set of eyes and every right to vent. Better to vent here then on someone's ol' lady lol...

I actually sometimes prefer the newbies perspective because it gives chance to take off the gold shaded glasses and see the team from a different view.

Big Ben has ALWAYS had big issue's playing the QB position. He is extremely talented but he is what he is. For all the praise he gets here, he damn sure deserves some negativity from time to time. If you watch as much non-Steeler football as I do, you can see quite clear Ben's deficiencies. It is okay because more time than not, he wins. But Ben deserves to be shitted on from time to time. His stats SUCK sometimes. He does not pass the eyeball test every game and we have every right to rag on him like any other player. You aren't a legend until you retire. That goes for any current pro player.

wow you must be a queer, or a Cleveland fan. How dare you?

SteeleReign
09-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I am 100% positive if you were in the same room as me in front of my face you'd say nothing.

oooo...scary....:couch:

QCbeauBlak
09-12-2012, 09:59 PM
wow you must be a queer, or a Cleveland fan. How dare you?

hahaha.. after a loss you'd think the world is going to end.. You have the denial crowd, the blow up the team crowd, no one here can make a good assessment after a loss without being criticized. But hey, we are the Mighty Pittsburgh Steelers and we go 16-0 every year!! How dare another team out perform us. That is blasphemous!! How dare a fan criticize this team? With guys like "Roller Skates Ramon" and "Get the Gurney Gilbert" or Triple-G as I like to call him, we are primed for another Super Bowl win!!

SteelersFever
09-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Alright, that's enough.