PDA

View Full Version : Trip over from the UK

Grav
09-10-2012, 02:28 PM
From Wales and Im making a trip to New York over Christmas and the Steelers are at home Browns on the 30th, what are the chances that I will be able to get 2 tix, will be looking to book in October? How cheap are internal flights etc? Think the trip can be done?

Thanks in advance

lloydwoodson
09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
I don't know about game tickets but a round-trip flight from NY to Pittsburgh can be purchased for about 150 dollars after taxes right now. Maybe a little higher at Xmas time. You should definitely go to the game. You might not be that close again. Do it!

Grav
09-10-2012, 04:05 PM
cheers, keep the advice coming

Grav
09-11-2012, 03:34 PM
whats it like travelling from NY to Pitssburgh? Fly or Bus? Will the weather play an effect at all on flights? Don't want to fly and go to NY for a few days to find out i can't get to Burgh then because of the weather

Ravnet
09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
whats it like travelling from NY to Pitssburgh? Fly or Bus? Will the weather play an effect at all on flights? Don't want to fly and go to NY for a few days to find out i can't get to Burgh then because of the weather

I would strongly suggest flying, if not taking the train. Mayhaps the bus is cheaper (although I'm not sure that it will be significantly so), but the bus system in the US is different from that in the UK. Furthermore, NY - Pittsburgh on a bus is a long ride, especially by UK standards, and I can almost guarantee that it will be wholly unenjoyable in every way.

Amtrak, the train service, is fairly painless, and might even be pleasant if you're looking to take in some of the countryside. This would be my mode of choice.

Flying is quick and is what it is.

Your biggest problem, imo, is that you're going to Pittsburgh...

Darkstorm05
09-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Getting tickets can be done fairly easily if you're either willing to be flexible on where you sit, or are willing to pay a high price...or both. You can most always find tickets the day before the game on Craigslist, then print them out and go.

A couple years ago we got tickets the day before the Steelers/Panthers game, 3rd row around the 30 yard line, for $110 each. it was great. There are also scalpers at the game. I would recommend getting there a few hours early to enjoy the experience, though. Looking at the exhibits at the field, eating at the food booths, or hanging out with tailgaters.

Grav
09-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I would strongly suggest flying, if not taking the train. Mayhaps the bus is cheaper (although I'm not sure that it will be significantly so), but the bus system in the US is different from that in the UK. Furthermore, NY - Pittsburgh on a bus is a long ride, especially by UK standards, and I can almost guarantee that it will be wholly unenjoyable in every way.

Amtrak, the train service, is fairly painless, and might even be pleasant if you're looking to take in some of the countryside. This would be my mode of choice.

Flying is quick and is what it is.

Your biggest problem, imo, is that you're going to Pittsburgh...

ha, whats wrong with Pittsburgh??

JPPT1974
09-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Hope you have a great time. As hope that you make the most of your time! Have fun!

steelerschik
09-12-2012, 03:07 PM
ha, whats wrong with Pittsburgh??

LOL, absolutely nothing. He's a Ravens fan, so I'm sure he'd rather you go to Baltimore, but I would highly recommend a bullet proof vest if you make THAT trip.

Anyhoo, much to do and see here, lots of good food, GREAT tailgating and we haven't had the winters we used to, so you should have a pleasant trip. That plus this is a very friendly city and anyone will give you directions and advice. I do agree with Ravnet about Amtrak. Much more pleasant. New York is only a 9 hour drive (I can do it in like 7, lol), but on a bus it's like 16 hours, pure torture.

Hope you have a pleasant stay and see an awesome Steelers victory for such a long trip here! :tt:

QCbeauBlak
09-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I would recommend planning for the trip now. Purchase game tickets well in advance as well as travel arrangements. Living in a different city, I enjoy getting to the burgh 5 hours or so early so I can drive around the city and walk around downtown or "Dahn-tahn" as they say (people there have the oddest dialect.. it is hilarious to me).. You don't want to be trying to figure out your ticket situation at the last minute. Enjoy the city, the food, most importantly, the people.

I love walking over the bridge to the stadium.. especially for an evening/night game. It's just a picturesque scene if you've never seen Heinz Field. If we ever get off this damn waiting list, I hope to move there.. if not now I know i'll retire there.