PDA

View Full Version : Injury Updates/Random News

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2006, 09:33 AM
Unfortunately, they are inevitable for the most part. Figured I would start this thread in order to keep track.

Undrafted rookie linebacker Mike Kudla will miss a few days of practices, according to Cowher, because of a hamstring muscle injury.

Fullback Dan Kreider aggravated a previous foot injury and will be evaluated daily.

BlackNGold203
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Let's hope and pray this thread stays short......:cool: :cool:

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Let's hope and pray this thread stays short......:cool: :cool:

Amen to that brother.

SteelerzGirl
07-31-2006, 10:27 AM
And that Duce's name is never on it, except for this post...(lol). :smile:

dhosmer
07-31-2006, 10:58 AM
Unfortunately, they are inevitable for the most part. Figured I would start this thread in order to keep track.

Undrafted rookie linebacker Mike Kudla will miss a few days of practices, according to Cowher, because of a hamstring muscle injury.

Fullback Dan Kreider aggravated a previous foot injury and will be evaluated daily.

I hope Kudla can get back into the action soon. I'm thinking he's going to show a lot over the next few weeks.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Steelers Notebook: Hamstring injury slows Holmes
Tuesday, August 01, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Santonio Holmes had a slight setback yesterday when the rookie receiver did not finish practice because of a hamstring injury.

Holmes and coach Bill Cowher said the hamstring first was injured while the first-round draft pick worked out in Pittsburgh in June. Holmes went through all the running tests Saturday and a full practice Sunday but did not finish yesterday afternoon.

"It's the same one he hurt while training in Pittsburgh," Cowher said. "We don't think it's too bad; it's day to day."

Said Holmes, "We just decided to take a precautionary measure and not push it too much on the second day of camp."

section514
08-01-2006, 09:17 AM
all he needs to do is ice it and get some stim. he can still do most things at around 75% if it is as bad as mentioned above. Right now he needs to learn the offense, so he can sit back and watch hines

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 07:39 AM
? Fullback Dan Kreider (mid-foot) and defensive end Travis Kirschke (back) returned to practice. Linebacker Mike Kudla (hamstring), tight end Jerame Tuman (sick), center Chukky Okobi (neck), wide receiver Santonio Holmes (hamstring) and wide receiver Eugene Baker (hamstring) missed practice. Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson (Achilles) left early. Wilson is day-to-day, coach Bill Cowher said. Linebacker Joey Porter (knee, physically unable to perform list) is "starting to feel very comfortable," Cowher said. Porter practiced dropping back, breaking on the ball and catching passes from assistant trainer Ryan Grove.

ARKIESTEEL
08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
And that Duce's name is never on it, except for this post...(lol). :smile:

Duce

sorry

83-Steelers-43
08-03-2006, 07:33 AM
Injury updates

Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson (Achilles' tendon) did not practice in the morning but took part in individual drills at Latrobe Stadium before sitting out the remainder of practice.

Cowher said he is going to be "very cautious with that [injury]" with Wilson, the team's starting split end.

Tight end Jerame Tuman and center Chukky Okobi also returned to practice. Cowher said the hamstring injuries to wide receiver/kick returner Eugene Baker and rookie inside linebacker Mike Kudla are substantial, and they could be out a couple more weeks.

nicesteel4life
08-03-2006, 09:47 AM
OUCH that hurts your chances of making the TEAM, Bummer for Kudla & Baker
Specially with being a long shot to begin.........

83-Steelers-43
08-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Injury updates

Wide receiver Cedrick Wilson returned to practice yesterday, less than 24 hours after Cowher said he wanted to be cautious with Wilson's Achilles' tendon injury.

"It's hard to sit out and watch guys go through pain," Wilson said. "Everybody has some kind of nick or bruise. It's something I got to push through."

Cornerback Deshea Townsend injured his groin in practice and did not return. Cowher said he will be day to day.

Even though he's no longer a Steeler..............

The prospect of losing starting right tackle Oliver Ross for the next 2 1/2 months is a major setback for Arizona's offensive line. Ross injured his right knee in practice, and the injury has been diagnosed as a probable torn meniscus, the same injury that cause wide receiver Anquan Boldin and cornerback Antrel Rolle to miss much of last season.

83-Steelers-43
08-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Steelers' Porter activated
Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers announced today that outside linebacker Joey Porter has been activated from the team's physically unable to perform (PUP) list.

Porter, an eight-year veteran, was placed on the team's PUP list on July 29, while recovering from offseason knee surgery. A three-time Pro Bowl selection, Porter led all NFL linebackers with 10.5 sacks in 2005.

The Steelers did not have to make another roster move to activate Porter.

83-Steelers-43
08-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Steelers Notebook: Okobi, Townsend recover from injuries, rejoin practice
Tuesday, August 29, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers welcomed two injured players back to full-time practice yesterday. Backup Chukky Okobi, who had neck surgery the second week of training camp, and cornerback Deshea Townsend, whose right thumb was broken two weeks ago, could each play in the final exhibition game Thursday night against Carolina at Heinz Field.

"If I practice, I'm ready to play," Townsend said. "Even if it's Carolina, if they want me to play I'll play."

Okobi downplayed talk of making a miracle comeback. The day before Dr. Joseph Maroon performed a diskectomy on his neck, coach Bill Cowher warned it could be career-threatening.

"I don't anticipate any problems," Okobi said. "Dr. Maroon told me everything should be fine. It's probably a 2, 3 percent chance of happening in the first place. It's not a typical injury. The chance of reinjuring it is about the same. So if I reinjure it, that just means I'm cursed."

Okobi does not expect any of his defensive linemen to go easy on him as he returns to practice.

"They might be, but they'll see very quickly that's a mistake."

Ward healing

Hines Ward did not practice again but he had some good news. An MRI Saturday on the hamstring injury that has kept him out most of the summer and each of the three preseason games showed more healing.

Still, he won't play in the game Thursday.

"I am getting better, but I'm not going to force it for one series," Ward said. "We don't need to do that, but it is getting better. I'm encouraged. It just takes time but it felt better."

Ward ran again yesterday and said he will use this week to get his leg better so he can play against Miami in the opener Sept. 7.

Tough decision on Staley

Cowher said halfback Duce Staley did "fine" in the preseason game Friday at Philadelphia, but would not say if Staley is fighting for a roster spot.

"I'm not ready to sit here and say that he isn't or he is," Cowher said. "The bottom line is that we have some tough decisions coming Thursday. I like the experience that he brings and what he's done. He's gotten better each week."

Staley has carried 23 times for 46 yards in three preseason games. He also caught two passes for 7 yards.

Holmes progressing

Rookie receiver Santonio Holmes has progressed rapidly the past few weeks.

"He has gotten better and better, he really has," Cowher said. "The other night he did a lot of really good things. I'm very encouraged by where he's at. Being around his demeanor on game day, I really like it. I think he's going to be fine.

"I can just see the comfort he's getting within this offense. The kid missed all the coaching sessions and came into camp. He fought through some things in camp and I liked that. He had a little bit of a groin issue. I know a couple of days out there, there was a little birdie inside and was probably saying to shut it down but he kept working through it. I respect that."

Eight players released

The Steelers released eight players yesterday and placed one on injured reserve to reach their 75-man roster limit. They will have to make 22 moves by Saturday to get down to 53.

"Going to 75 wasn't a tough cut," Cowher said. "The next one will be. There will be a lot of tough decisions to make."

The team released four rookies -- safety Zach Baker, kicker Mark Brubaker, offensive tackle Nick Hagemann and offensive guard Grayling Love.

Linebacker Malcom Postell of Pitt was released for the second time in 21/2 months. Also released were fullback Doug Easlilck, long snapper Kyle Andrews and wide receiver Isaac West.

Offensive tackle Ulish Booker was placed on injured reserve with a torn ACL in his knee.

After all NFL teams trim their rosters to 53 by 6 p.m. Saturday, each may sign eight players to their practice squad. The Steelers will have nine on that squad, including UK wide receiver Marvin Allen as part of the league's international development program.

Quick hits

Linebacker Joey Porter had tonsillitis and stayed home yesterday. Cowher said he should return today. ... Tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) did not practice again. ... Guard Kendall Simmons received a positive report from the head coach on his play at center in Philadelphia and may get another series there Thursday night. ... The first teams are not likely to play much Thursday and some starters may not play at all. ... Cowher said he's not ready to announce his starting free safety.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06241/717142-66.stm

clevestinks
08-29-2006, 05:29 AM
Get well Ward, then we will be fine!

Haiku_Dirtt
08-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Seems like all systems go :hope:

[Okobi does not expect any of his defensive linemen to go easy on him as he returns to practice.

"They might be, but they'll see very quickly that's a mistake."]

From 'career over' to the 'returns to practice' is a huge sigh of relief. But it forced the coaching staff to mine depth at center...enter Simmons. Now we can feel better about not occupying a roster spot with Philips.

83-Steelers-43
08-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Steelers Notebook: Holmes to appear in court today
Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Santonio Holmes, the Steelers' No. 1 pick, will miss practice today because he will be in Columbus, Ohio, for a jury-trial hearing on charges of domestic violence and abuse against the mother of his third child.

Holmes will attend a 10 a.m. hearing before Judge Michael Brandt in Franklin County Municipal Court. Regardless of developments, he is expected to return for the final preseason game tomorrow night against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field.

"I can't imagine that being a problem," said Sam Shamansky, Holmes' Columbus-based attorney.

Holmes, who played at Ohio State, was arrested June 19 and charged with domestic violence and abuse -- first-degree misdemeanors -- against Lashae Boone of Columbus, the mother of his third child.

"We're hoping the prosecutor drops the charges and we'll go from there," Shamansky said.

Injury updates

Coach Bill Cowher said offensive right tackle Max Starks, whose left knee was injured in Philadelphia, will not play against the Panthers. Starks, though, "should be fine" and is expected to be ready for the regular season.

Cowher said he has not decided if rookie Willie Colon or Trai Essex, a third-round choice last year who is the backup left tackle, will start at right tackle.

Three other players will not play against the Panthers -- wide receiver Hines Ward (hamstring), tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) and cornerback Anthony Madison (hamstring). Ward and Tuman have not played in any preseason games.

Tight end switch

The Steelers released rookie tight end Isaac Smolko, a free agent from Penn State, and signed third-year tight end Tim Euhus, a former fourth-round draft choice of the Buffalo Bills in 2004.

The move is a sign the coaches are not convinced that rookie Charles Davis, a fifth-round draft choice, or rookie free agent Jon Dekker can make the 53-man roster as the third tight end.

Euhus was acquired in a trade by the New Orleans Saints June 6, then released Monday. He appeared in 11 games, making three starts, for the Bills in 2005.

Cowher said decisions on which players make the 53-man roster will be predicated on injuries, particularly at tight end.

"Yeah, it's a concern with him [Tuman] and Hines," Cowher said. "Both of those guys haven't been on the field for an extended period of time. To sit there and say you feel good about it, that's not true. It will probably have some kind of effect on the final makeup."

Haynes downplays RB woes

The top three backs -- Willie Parker, Duce Staley and Verron Haynes -- have carried a combined 40 times for 101 yards in three preseason games, an average of 2.5 yards per attempt, prompting Cowher to issue some concern about the running game.

But Haynes, the third-down back, said there is nothing to worry about.

"Not really, because we're not game-planning," Haynes said. "We can do better, and that's speaking for everybody. I don't have any concern about it. Once you start game-planning, that's our identity. I don't think we're going to lose sight of it at all."

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 12:13 AM
Steelers Notebook: Staley thrives on heavy workload
Friday, September 01, 2006

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It had been a long time since Duce Staley touched the ball this many times in a game.

And he took advantage of the workload to finish the preseason in convincing fashion.

Staley gained only 46 yards on 19 carries -- hardly staggering totals -- but just three of his rushing attempts came with the first-team offensive line in the 15-13 loss against the Carolina Panthers at Heinz Field last night. Staley gained 8 yards on those carries.

What's more, on several runs, Staley looked like a back trying to prove he can be a contributor behind Willie Parker, picking holes, turning the corner and slipping tackles. The previous time Staley had more than 18 carries was in the seventh game of the 2004 season, when he gained 125 yards on 25 attempts in the Halloween night victory against the New England Patriots.

Staley is not in danger of being cut when the rosters are pared to 53 players by 4 p.m. tomorrow. But the Steelers might consider picking up a running back off the waiver wire this weekend.

A shuffled cast

As expected, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, running back Willie Parker and receiver Cedrick Wilson were among the non-injured offensive starters who did not play against the Panthers. Tight end Heath Miller also did not play.

Three members of the offensive line -- left guard Alan Faneca, center Jeff Hartings and left tackle Marvel Smith -- played only one series before being lifted. After that, right guard Kendall Simmons played one series at center and Trai Essex, who started for injured Max Starks (knee) at right tackle, moved to left tackle and guard.

None of the defensive starters began the game, unless you count newcomer Ryan Clark, who got his second start at free safety in his training-camp battle with Tyrone Carter. That, though, might not be a good sign for Clark, the team's only major signing in free agency.

Carter, who appears to be the front-runner to replace Chris Hope, played against the Panthers, appearing for several plays as an extra back in the dime defense.

Clark played the entire first half at free safety before being replaced by rookie Anthony Smith, who has been one of the standouts of the preseason.

Bad snaps

The experiment of trying Simmons at center might be short-lived.

Simmons replaced Hartings on the second series and promptly botched the second snap, causing a fumble that Staley recovered.

After a defensive offside penalty against the Panthers, Simmons' snap in the shotgun formation appeared to hit his leg and bounced back to quarterback Charlie Batch.

On the next series, Simmons was replaced by Chukky Okobi, who made his first appearance since having neck surgery Aug. 9.

Omar didn't fold tent

Rookie Omar Jacobs clearly outplayed Shane Boyd and likely moved ahead of him as the third quarterback, though it remains to be seen if the coaches are convinced enough to keep him on the 53-man roster.

Jacobs, a fifth-round pick from Bowling Green, completed 13 of 18 passes for 179 yards and set up a late touchdown with a 46-yard pass to wide receiver Walter Young to the Carolina 4. His passer rating was 103.7.

After Boyd completed just 1 of 3 passes for 12 yards in the first half, Jacobs played the entire second half and completed 9 of his first 10 passes for 102 yards. He also had a pass-interference penalty gain 44 yards on a deep pass to rookie receiver Willie Reid.

Another start for Colclough

Cornerback Ricardo Colclough was a starter for the second consecutive game, this time because both regulars -- Ike Taylor and Deshea Townsend -- were held out.

After getting beat for a 61-yard touchdown against the Philadelphia Eagles last week, Colclough responded with a big first quarter, registering a sack and a pair of fumble recoveries and returns. Colclough also forced a fumble when he sacked quarterback Jake Delhomme, but the fumble did not count because Delhomme was ruled in the grasp.

Colclough, however, committed a Plaxico Burress-type gaffe with 2:30 remaining when he returned a punt 22 yards, stumbled, then got up and spiked the ball without being touched down. Colclough was penalized 5 yards for an illegal forward pass.

Burress committed a similar gaffe in a 2002 game against Jacksonville when he lost his balance after a reception, got up and spiked the ball without being touched down. .

Gardocki safe

It appears veteran Chris Gardocki, in his 16th NFL season, will remain the Steelers' punter. And not just because he handled the first two punts against the Panthers.

The tipoff came when Gardocki was sent out to hold for Jeff Reed's 40-yard field goal in the first quarter. After Reed missed two field goals in the loss at Philadelphia last week, coach Bill Cowher wanted to be sure he sent out the regular field-goal unit to make sure Reed didn't miss three in a row.

Mike Barr, in his third training camp with the Steelers, is expected to be released.

Quick hits

Backup offensive tackle Barrett Brooks appeared to be the most serious injury casualty when he was carted from the field with an injured right knee. The extent of the injury was not determined. ... Backup cornerback and special-teams standout Chidi Iwuoma sustained a concussion in the second quarter when he appeared to get kneed in the back of the head. ... Safety Mike Logan appeared to injure his knee in the second quarter and never returned. But he was not listed among the injured.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06244/718232-66.stm

83-Steelers-43
09-01-2006, 01:18 AM
Notebook: Special teams get top billing

By The Tribune-Review
Friday, September 1, 2006

The Steelers introduced their starting special teams players, rather than the offense or defense, prior to the opening kickoff Thursday night against Carolina. Presented to the crowd out of the tunnel were kicker Jeff Reed, punter Chris Gardocki, long-snapper Greg Warren, running back Verron Haynes, cornerbacks Ricardo Colclough and Bryant McFadden, safety Tyrone Carter, safety Mike Logan, linebackers James Harrison and Clint Kriewaldt, wide receiver Sean Morey and cornerback Chidi Iwuoma.

• Cornerback Anthony Madison (hamstring), offensive tackle Max Starks (knee), tight end Jerame Tuman (hamstring) and wide receiver Hines Ward (hamstring) didn't dress for the Steelers.

• Right guard Kendall Simmons appeared at center as a part of the second-team offensive line during the Steelers' second series. Simmons was charged with a fumble on a botched exchange with quarterback Charlie Batch. He then snapped the ball off his body on a shotgun attempt to Batch, who made a nice adjustment on the carom on the following play.

• Simmons was replaced at center on the Steelers' third possession by Chukky Okobi, who made his preseason debut after undergoing neck surgery Aug. 9.

• Tight end Tim Euhus, signed by the Steelers on Tuesday, entered the game on offense with 10:32 left in the second quarter. Euhus, a third-year pro who spent his first two seasons with Buffalo and was released by New Orleans, wore No. 49. He caught a 5-yard pass from quarterback Omar Jacobs on his fifth play with the Steelers.

• Coach Bill Cowher tried to challenge a first-quarter ruling that Carolina had recovered a fumble by quarterback Jake Delhomme. The officials ruled that Delhomme was in the grasp of cornerback Ricardo Colclough, who had blitzed on the play, and thus, the call wasn't reviewable.

• Reed connected on his first field-goal attempt of the game -- a 40-yarder with 2:19 remaining in the first quarter. Gardocki held on the play. Reed also hit from 27 yards away with Gardocki holding with 4:18 left in the second quarter. Reed had missed his final two attempts on Aug. 25 in Philadelphia -- from 50 yards with punter Mike Barr holding and from 47 yards with Gardocki holding. Reed entered the Carolina game 2 for 5 this preseason on field-goal attempts.

Digits

1 - Number of all-time victories for the Steelers on Thursday nights (the regular-season opens against Miami on Thursday, Sept. 7 at Heinz Field.

4 - Number of all-time losses for the Steelers on Thursday nights.

8 - Number of regular-season and playoff games the Steelers have won consecutively heading into the Miami game.

9 - Number of all-time wins by the Steelers over the Dolphins.

11 - Number of all-time losses by the Steelers to the Dolphins.

13 - Number of regular-season wins at Heinz Field for the Steelers in 2004 and '05.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_468692.html