PDA

View Full Version : This is WHY the Steelers looked sluggish to some.

STEELAMANIA
09-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Cmon now peeps. OLD and SLOW in the first game.....sounds very familiar? Same thing Sapp said after our first game last year. The Steelers starters are getting their bodies into 4 quarter football shape and believe me, they only got in so many snaps during the preseason. Now that they got the first one out of the way, they will play up to speed this coming Sunday vs NY. The first game all 32 teams are getting their bodies into full game shape and after the first game, we will usually see our teams TRUE colors shine. (same thing for all other teams.)

This is a 16 game regular season and its just not fair to judge the team off of the opener because their bodies aren't in full game shape in the openers....

lloydwoodson
09-10-2012, 04:01 PM
I was thinking the exact same thing earlier- a lot of people right now sound a helluva lot like Warren Sapp.

steelfury02
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
you mean under oath?:chuckle:

Hawaii 5-0
09-10-2012, 04:38 PM
This is a 16 game regular season and its just not fair to judge the team off of the opener because their bodies aren't in full game shape in the openers....

weren't the Denver Broncos in the same situation of getting their bodies in full game shape also, especially Peyton Manning who hadn't played in nearly two years and coming off 4 neck surgeries?

mikegrimey
09-10-2012, 04:50 PM
weren't the Denver Broncos in the same situation of getting their bodies in full game shape also, especially Peyton Manning who hadn't played in nearly two years and coming off 4 neck surgeries?

Exactly what I was thinking
I agree with the OP that being a panicky princess is uncalled for, but their reasoning is weak

SteelHaven
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe so (being old and such) but what you guys are missing is that the Broncos are used to playing in the thin air. Now that the Broncos have an elite QB that can run a no huddle they will wear everyone else out this year in the 2nd half of games at home. Its a real homefield advantage for them. I thought the denfense played good till they seemed tired in the 2nd half and perhaps the reason they were tired.

SteelHaven
09-10-2012, 04:58 PM

I'm sure Manning and company can adjust themselves up there in the offseason, it's not just getting used to playing in thin air but also getting used to living up there.

mikegrimey
09-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Maybe so (being old and such) but what you guys are missing is that the Broncos are used to playing in the thin air. Now that the Broncos have an elite QB that can run a no huddle they will wear everyone else out this year in the 2nd half of games at home. Its a real homefield advantage for them. I thought the denfense played good till they seemed tired in the 2nd half and perhaps the reason they were tired.

The defense looked good in the first wuarter
But never forced a punt after that
They had no great reason to be tired in the 2nd half
They were off the field for almost 60 mins at one point

SteelHaven
09-10-2012, 05:14 PM
The defense looked good in the first wuarter
But never forced a punt after that
They had no great reason to be tired in the 2nd half
They were off the field for almost 60 mins at one point

Very true, I had forgot that we had the ball that long. Im not saying the defense doesn't need to make improvements (like against the no huddle, and their secondary ect) but I feel playing at home will help this week and we'll see some improvements

TRH
09-10-2012, 06:38 PM

exactly. I hate when people say these types of things. The defensive guys on the other side sure as hell didn't look sluggish, uninspired, and confused.

Chadmagic
09-11-2012, 09:12 PM
Amen to this thread! finally glad to see that some people still have common sense. The reason we lost the game is very simple. We failed in the red zone and our defense failed to stop the no huddle. Thats it. Was it coaching? Play calling? Execution? Yes! it was all of those things. We played an uninspired game the entire nite. You can see it in their body language. Lackluster.

I hope it turns around next Sunday because the Jets put up 48pts last week and Sanchez lit up the field pretty good. This week I expect more Tebow to go along with it.

The fire better be there or we will start 0-2

IowaSteeler927
09-13-2012, 03:29 AM
Manning is smart enough and has been in the league long enough that he's seen just about anything. If people thought he was going to come back and be out there looking like he doesn't know what he's doing they are simply just delusional. If anything the year off gave his body some time to recuperate from the yearly beatings he's taken.

In my opinion we lost this game because we didn't have Harrison, Clark, or Mendenhall on the field to start the game. It didn't help when Gilbert and Foster had to go to the sidelines with injuries. Honesty our four best defensive players are Taylor, Polamalu, Harrison, and Woodley. When one of those guys isn't on the field our defense gets noticeably worse because we don't have good depth at linebacker or safety for that matter. Not having Ryan Clark also seems to change how they utilize Polamalu. We'll be better when all of our stars are on the field. I don't buy into that old and slow crap.

OX1947
09-13-2012, 05:09 AM
Combination of injuries and the Steelers defense not getting one significant stop when it matters the last year and one game will need to change fast.

maddog78
09-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Nobody talks about thin air when we lay waste to the Broncos in Denver, like in the AFCC Game. That was not a very good defense we fielded the other night. Need Harrison and Clark back, and desperately need to find their replacements. They're both in the twilight of their careers.