PDA

View Full Version : Running in Game 1

tanda10506
09-10-2012, 03:58 PM
I, like a lot of us, was hoping we would run the ball a bit more often and a lot more efficient. We definitely did run it more, but it wasn't very efficient. The majority of the runs that gained more then 1 or 2 yards was due to the RB making a play. The O line never looked good run blocking with the exception of a few good individual efforts here and there. Dwyer looks like he should be our starter, he ran hard. Redman played well last year and likely struggled last night from his injury IMO. Either way, the O line needs to block better if we're going to run the ball consistently. Overall, the thing I liked least out of the run game was how much we ran out of the shotgun. I don't know the exact number of runs out of the shotgun we had, but it was FAR more then we should have. A draw out of the shotgun can be successful as a change up play when the passing game is going well, but it's not a running formation. That's what I thought of it, just wanted to see if overall everybody was happy with it or thought it was too much and not that successful?

GoFor7
09-10-2012, 04:03 PM
No, they need to use more no-huddle, featuring Ben Roethlisberger, his 3 WRs, and Heath Miller. Running more doesn't mean winning more. If it did, then you're 2011 Super Bowl Champions would be the Jacksonville Jaguars.

steeltheone
09-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Dwyer could not start for any team in the NFL, besides us. Very average back.

steelfury02
09-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Tell the 49ers you don't need to run the ball to be successful. If done properly (ala 2010 AFC champ game) it works, and works well. Not saying 60/40 run it and a cloud of dust - I'm just saying - it makes life on offense easier if well executed

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 08:29 AM
Tell the 49ers you don't need to run the ball to be successful. If done properly (ala 2010 AFC champ game) it works, and works well. Not saying 60/40 run it and a cloud of dust - I'm just saying - it makes life on offense easier if well executed

The 49ers are actually good at it though. When it doesn't work, but you stubbornly keep trying anyways, you're just putting your QB in 3rd & long situations, increasing his chances of being sacked/hurt. I thought the run game was supposed to protect Ben - on sunday night, it looked like it was putting him at more risk.

TRH
09-11-2012, 08:49 AM
running?? We ran?? lol

i agree with the above..Dwyer wouldn't be starting for any other team...we need a healthy Redman.
That said....our OL put on a pitiful performance. They looked confused and kept bunching up together, blocking holes instead of opening them. It was hard to watch.

maddog78
09-11-2012, 09:09 AM
No, they need to use more no-huddle, featuring Ben Roethlisberger, his 3 WRs, and Heath Miller. Running more doesn't mean winning more. If it did, then you're 2011 Super Bowl Champions would be the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Yeah, we seem to be going back to the 70's to appease Rooney, while the league may be passing us by, pun intended.

maddog78
09-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Dwyer could not start for any team in the NFL, besides us. Very average back.

He looked much better than Redman, IMO.

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Yeah, we seem to be going back to the 70's to appease Rooney, while the league may be passing us by, pun intended.

Shhhhhhh!!!!!!! Art Rooney can never be wrong! The dogs will be after you now. :chuckle:

Darkstorm05
09-11-2012, 09:19 AM
He looked much better than Redman, IMO.

Agree. I've been trying to figure out why Redman gets so much love, when he hasn't shown anything to make him starting material, either.

Game 1:
Redman - 11 attempts, 20 yards, 1.8 avg
Dwyer - 9 attempts, 43 yards, 4.8 avg

Why is Dwyer(who was not the starter) the one getting bashed now for not being starter material? I'm not saying Dwyer is a top 5 back...but Redman surely isn't, either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2012, 09:54 AM
I thought Redman was going to be the answer to the RB issue??? He was going to pile up so many more yards than Mendenhall because he doesnt spin.

Now Dwyer is the fan favorite. I guess the most popular RB on the team IS always the backup. :rolleyes:

steelerzrok86
09-11-2012, 10:16 AM
I thought the idea of going back to the run was interesting, but not in the way we used it. I was perplexed to say the least as to why we were using alot of shotgun formaitons, and draws to run the ball, rather than running it up the gut. THough redman isnt an all pro back, hes the kind of guy that can pound it up the middle if nessecary, which i thought we've seen in years past. Hes not very agile or fast...so using him in a draw/shotgun play every time isnt going to effective unless our o line steps it up ALOT. Dwyer did impress me, reminded me of a mwelde moore kinda guy, quick and he ran hard, which i liked. We need to stick with what we're good at, running the ball when nessecary, and utilize our speed at the reciever position as much as possible.

steelerzrok86
09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
I thought the idea of going back to the run was interesting, but not in the way we used it. I was perplexed to say the least as to why we were using alot of shotgun formaitons, and draws to run the ball, rather than running it up the gut. THough redman isnt an all pro back, hes the kind of guy that can pound it up the middle if nessecary, which i thought we've seen in years past. Hes not very agile or fast...so using him in a draw/shotgun play every time isnt going to effective unless our o line steps it up ALOT. Dwyer did impress me, reminded me of a mwelde moore kinda guy, quick and he ran hard, which i liked. We need to stick with what we're good at, running the ball when nessecary, and utilize our speed at the reciever position as much as possible.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-11-2012, 10:30 AM
I disagree completely with the basic premise of this thread.

Since our primary weapons and threat on offense is Ben/Miller/Brown/Wallace, running a mostly draw-play running game out of a passing formation is the tactically sound thing to do. What SUCKED was the execution on the offensive line (key word "offensive"), there were NO HOLES to run through at all.

Also, the offense did exactly what it was designed to do in that game-- run the clock and not let Manning on the field. We rode the ball on long drives of 80, 77 yards and barely let Manning even touch the ball in the third quarter. There was a stretch where he did not touch the ball for nearly an hour.

Additionally, all the runs, even though not very effective DID protect Ben. Even under Arians, we were always being backed up in 3rd and long situations, the difference being that under Arians, those were sacks or hits Ben was taking, whereas the RBs are taking the hits for him on 1st and 2nd down.

It isn't just the sacks, Ben took a LOT of hits under Arians after the ball was thrown. A run-first called game minimizes even that.

The offense clicked, even with poor blocking. The reason why we lost was because our defense let Peyton Manning score TDs on us using one or two big plays each time. Our defense failed us in that game, not the offense. I didn;t think I would ever be saying that about any Steelers team.

Sharkissle29
09-11-2012, 10:34 AM
I think you guys are underestimating Dwyer. He makes things happen out of nothing, he has improved every year since we have had him. Like it or not, he may be our new feature back

Fire Haley
09-11-2012, 10:47 AM
I'd definitely start Dwyer over 3 yds and cloud of dust Redman....who still wants Mendy cut?

run run pass for 25 minutes again won't cut it

Time Of Possession = old man football = irrelevant

Bombs away - score TD's or die

Cherinko
09-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Agree. I've been trying to figure out why Redman gets so much love, when he hasn't shown anything to make him starting material, either.

Game 1:

Why is Dwyer(who was not the starter) the one getting bashed now for not being starter material? I'm not saying Dwyer is a top 5 back...but Redman surely isn't, either.

Yeah...I'm shocked at the comments directed towards Dwyer. Dwyer played fine. Redman with his 1.8 ypc killed the running game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2012, 12:14 PM

Game 1:

If Mendenhall started and struggled, then everybody would be posting that Redman needs more touches and is the 2nd coming of Bettis.

The fans always love the backup RB and don't appreciate the starter unless he runs for 140 yds.

I'm still waiting for the Steeler fans to clue into Haley's sprint draw and start treating that like the bubble screen. Put the knife down folks and enjoy the upcoming game. Ben was 1 pick 6 away from pulling that game out and then you would all be on his jock about what a clutch QB he is and none of this matters.........:banging:

steelfury02
09-11-2012, 12:14 PM
A. Agree with running effectively v. banging head against wall for no reason other than "just cuz"

B. The draw works, but not when you use it as much as they did - i thought the Steelers O was still toying with things, seeing if they can find the one play the Broncos D would have trouble with

C. I see the running game as a tool to help protect and keep defenses honest - not the solution to the offense winning games - doesn't matter what your approach is when the defense can't get off the field

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 12:36 PM
A. Agree with running effectively v. banging head against wall for no reason other than "just cuz"

Steelfury, read some of the other threads. Some of these people LOVE the fact that the Steelers did that, instead of going up-tempo early to take advantage of a Denver turnover.

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm still waiting for the Steeler fans to clue into Haley's sprint draw and start treating that like the bubble screen. Put the knife down folks and enjoy the upcoming game. Ben was 1 pick 6 away from pulling that game out and then you would all be on his jock about what a clutch QB he is and none of this matters.........:banging:

See, this is typical Ben hate. Put him down whenever you can, make him seem irrelevant to the team's success over the last 8 years. Those Steelers in the 90's were so close to winning it all! They didn't need no stinkin' QB then, and they don't need one now! Just pretend he didn't lead a game-winning drive in a Super Bowl.

Darkstorm05
09-11-2012, 12:44 PM
At this point I'd really prefer to see us run just enough to make play action work for us. When we do run it, lots of 2 back sets to keep things mixed up, and fast paced.

Really, I don't think we have the backs to be power runners. I have a feeling Mendy won't be so hot after this surgery. Redman has never done a thing to impress me, and Dwyer is in his first year of getting real play time. All of them seem injury prone.

But really, we're never going to assemble a RB corps to equal our current receivers and QB, so why try? Let them keep the D biting on play action, and work our QB magic.

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
At this point I'd really prefer to see us run just enough to make play action work for us. When we do run it, lots of 2 back sets to keep things mixed up, and fast paced.

Really, I don't think we have the backs to be power runners. I have a feeling Mendy won't be so hot after this surgery. Redman has never done a thing to impress me, and Dwyer is in his first year of getting real play time. All of them seem injury prone.

But really, we're never going to assemble a RB corps to equal our current receivers and QB, so why try? Let them keep the D biting on play action, and work our QB magic.

Play-action was pretty much useless sunday night. Since they ran on both first and second down, they put Ben at a 3rd&long obvious passing situation. Yinzer nation can't seem to wrap it's head around that.

Darkstorm05
09-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Play-action was pretty much useless sunday night. Since they ran on both first and second down, they put Ben at a 3rd&long obvious passing situation. Yinzer nation can't seem to wrap it's head around that.

Eventually even the most stubborn will have to admit that the power run game days are over. Remember when Goodell admitted he would like to ban the 3 point stance to minimize impacts? That alone should tell you where things are going. Eventually I fully believe running out of a backfield with your shoulder lowered will draw some kind of flag.

Defenses are getting faster and more fluid to account for the passing games evolution. Giant plodding backs will simply be too slow to escape the faster lines, and will not put up points fast enough to keep in the game against teams pushing 300+ yards in the air. When you have an Aaron Rodgers averaging 300 yards and a few TDs per game, you aren't going to match that with a fat man running for 4 yards a play.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2012, 02:06 PM
See, this is typical Ben hate. Put him down whenever you can, make him seem irrelevant to the team's success over the last 8 years. Those Steelers in the 90's were so close to winning it all! They didn't need no stinkin' QB then, and they don't need one now! Just pretend he didn't lead a game-winning drive in a Super Bowl.

You are SOOOOOOOO WRONG. I wanted Ben drafted when all the clowns here wanted Rivers. I purchased my son a #7 jersey before Ben threw a pass in B&G.

I am saying that if he goes down and scores on that final drive, that this thread doesnt even exist and the PANIC BUTTON Steeler fans are happy as a clam.

The fact is that he missed a read and locked in on the WR, then throws that pick 6. Watch the replay as an objective fan and you can admitt to yourself that he had no reason throwing that pass. He didnt look Porter off and Porter was right next to the WR at all times.

Maybe you are on his jock so much that you are making up things to defend Ben on??, when this game was more likely a product of 1. No Ryan Clark, 2. No Pass Rush, 3. Still not comfortable with new offense.

steelfury02
09-11-2012, 02:11 PM
just to pile on :chuckle:, ahem . . .lol

let's not forget this team always seems to need to get knocked down so it can pick itself up . . .

MACH1
09-11-2012, 02:15 PM
Eventually even the most stubborn will have to admit that the power run game days are over. Remember when Goodell admitted he would like to ban the 3 point stance to minimize impacts? That alone should tell you where things are going. Eventually I fully believe running out of a backfield with your shoulder lowered will draw some kind of flag.

Defenses are getting faster and more fluid to account for the passing games evolution. Giant plodding backs will simply be too slow to escape the faster lines, and will not put up points fast enough to keep in the game against teams pushing 300+ yards in the air. When you have an Aaron Rodgers averaging 300 yards and a few TDs per game, you aren't going to match that with a fat man running for 4 yards a play.

The fat man keeps Rodgers off the field 4+4+4=12 yds and a first down. The biggest thing ya need is a D that can defend and not be spectators.

Darkstorm05
09-11-2012, 03:21 PM
The fat man keeps Rodgers off the field 4+4+4=12 yds and a first down. The biggest thing ya need is a D that can defend and not be spectators.

Like they kept Peyton off the field, averaging about 3.5-4.5 a carry, and totally owning ToP? 19 points is where that leads. It doesn't matter if we run it all day and have 40 minutes of possession, if you're up against a QB that's going to score in 90 seconds flat every time he takes the field.

Not all areas of the team can be top 5 in the league. The salary cap simply won't allow it. Why waste the talent we have now by trying to force an area of the game that isn't our strength? If we shore up the OL injuries, the run game will be adequate enough to relieve some pressure from Ben...but who cares if that's all it becomes?

The secondary is a whole other matter. If James Harrison not being a factor means our entire pass defense falls apart, it's time to prepare for rough times ahead.

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Ed: Dwyer in Line for More Chances Sunday

TUESDAY, 11 SEPTEMBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Some impressions from today’s Mike Tomlin press conference:

--- Jonathan Dwyer will get more carries Sunday against the Jets, although I don’t think he will start. And, naturally, if Isaac Redman plays well, that could change based on his performance early-on.

“I thought Jonathan Dwyer provided a spark play and represented himself well and will probably get an increased opportunity because of it,’’ Tomlin said.

--- His quote of the day, when asked if he could evaluate the scab officials: “I’m not going to do that. I’m going to keep my money in my pocket.”

--- While he described “pretty good news” on the injury front, there really was no news on James Harrison’s knee.

“James Harrison worked out yesterday. He will run tomorrow, and we will see where he is. We will basically follow the same protocol with him that we did last week. We will work him up to activity and see how his knee responds to that activity. We will let that be our guide in terms of his participation.”

Harrison’s knee did not respond well to that protocol last week and he did not play.

--- He would not reveal who his backup long-snapper is. Got to keep those other special teams coaches guessing, so they apparently will be confused if something happens to Greg Warren and he cannot snap for punts or placekicks.

“I’ll hold my cards in that regard at this time.”

--- He did not mention Rashard Mendenhall among the injured. When asked about him, Tomlin said:

“We’ll see how the week takes us. I thought he had a good week last week. He’s done a nice job with the things we’ve asked him to do and we’ll just continue to move forward and put our heads together as the week unfolds and see if he’s the guy for us this week.”

--- He, as usual, made the New York Jets out to be the team to beat in the next Super Bowl:

“They are a rock solid team. They have great balance. They have good players in all three phases.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118001-ed-dwyer-in-line-for-more-chances-sunday

tanda10506
09-11-2012, 04:35 PM
As I mentioned when I made the original post, I'd like to see us run it more, but not if it's not working, and not out of the Shotgun. As far as the comments about Dwyer, I don't care what other team he would start on or not, if he's making yards for us that's all that matters. Also, Redman has an injury that he said would likely linger all year, and that is likely why he struggled. The O line couldn't run block last year either and he did a damn good job against the same team. I'm not sure if he's "the answer", but he's not a failure over a bad game while injured, especially when he just had a good game against the same team in the same place last time he started. I think Dwyer could of had a big game if the O line could run block, and I'm confident the O line will get it down with some time.

I think we will have an EFFICIENT running game towards the end of the season if the O line stays healthy. Problem is that if Ben can't carry the load the whole game and win on those final drives and/or our defense continues on the downward slope, we may be out of contention by that time. The more I think about it, this is really Ben's year. The defense has always bailed out the offense and it's going to have to be the other way around as it looks.

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
The more I think about it, this is really Ben's year. The defense has always bailed out the offense and it's going to have to be the other way around as it looks.

Then the Steelers have to let him win it. They can't just do run, run, pass in the first half, then ask him to bail the team out in the last two minutes after just being a game manager. They cannot put him in 3rd&long situations because they want to stubbornly pound on the first two downs. They need to let him pass more often EARLY in the game, then maybe you'll get you're precious running game later on.

Ricco Suavez
09-11-2012, 05:26 PM
We ran the ball 26 times and some would say we need to run more. The first week the league average was 25.7 times per game. I believe if we had any success at all our total would of been higher. I have no problem trying to run and in fact I believe you have to at least try to keep a defense honest. What we did the other night did not work. Blame the line, blame the backs, blame the play calling, or blame the Broncos D, but 2.9 yds per carry will not get it done. The team average turned out better than it started with all the dives in the line for little to no gain.

I do not believe with our line and backs we will return to a potent ground game for some time, maybe some times it may click , but not on a consistent basis. The best we can hope for is a mix of pass and run that catches teams in mismatches where we can exploit one facet or the other. Our best plays Sunday were the same as last year, and that was Ben free lancing. I had hoped some method would be in place much like last years Patriot game. I know there is a lot of discussion on should this team be run dominated or pass, and I can only see it being somewhat in the middle. This team should be a passing team with the people we have, but the run is needed to keep teams honest. I know Arians was hated but I thought his pass to run ratio was about right, I thought Arians fault was that he would not or could not adjust when needed. Example Jets AFCCG we run rough shod over the Jets defense. The Jets make a halftime adjustment and we are run, run, pass all night against one of the best secondaries in football, if not for a clutch pass and catch late in the game we likely lose. I want Haley to show me he can adjust, I want Ben to show me he can play something other than scramble football. I want to see some innovative plays and something besides into the line twice and hope our QB can save the bacon. Most of all I want everyone to chill just a little and give this new system some time. We will find out what kind of OC we have real quick if we continue to struggle like we did and no change in plan is made.

wera176
09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Refresh my memory: did Mr. Rooney Jr say he wanted the team to run more, or did he say he wanted them to run more effectively?

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Refresh my memory: did Mr. Rooney Jr say he wanted the team to run more, or did he say he wanted them to run more effectively?

That sure as hell wasn't effective. No better than when Arians called running plays. You won't run better with predictable calls like that.

Chadmagic
09-11-2012, 07:39 PM
Ok, you want your passing game, you can have it. We have the weapons. Our receivers are top notch and can be starters for almost any team in the league. But they need time to run routes and get open and that's where your 'passing plan' falls apart. Our Oline can't protect long enough for those intermediate and deep routes to get open. At best Ben has about 2 seconds to find a receiver before people are grabbing at him. Thats why we have to run even if it doesn't work. So Ben doesn't get beat up back there. Why do you think he starts out of the shotgun so much? He has to because he needs running room for when the line breaks down. Not if, but when.
Does he hold the ball a long time? Yes! But he starts scrambling earlier than any other QB in the league. He is forced into it. Otherwise he would be throwing the ball away on every other play.

You want more passing? Get a better line.

jiminpa
09-11-2012, 09:00 PM
So we actually have people arguing that passing yards and touchdowns are more valuable than rushing yards and touchdowns, and that time of possession is meaningless. Of course why would expect people to understand football, we just got rid of a coach that doesn't.

ricardisimo
09-12-2012, 06:42 AM
I thought Redman was going to be the answer to the RB issue??? He was going to pile up so many more yards than Mendenhall because he doesnt spin.

Now Dwyer is the fan favorite. I guess the most popular RB on the team IS always the backup. :rolleyes:
Thank you Gonzo. Thank you. I've been stating this for two years now. I for one am looking forward to Rashard's return, although he apparently won't have a better line than he's had in the past.

As far as the running game not being effective or even necessary in today's NFL, look at the top-10 QB stats from week one and the top-10 RB stats from same. A LOT of INTs from the one, compared to solid production and protection from the other. And more wins.

Darkstorm05
09-12-2012, 07:50 AM
So we actually have people arguing that passing yards and touchdowns are more valuable than rushing yards and touchdowns, and that time of possession is meaningless. Of course why would expect people to understand football, we just got rid of a coach that doesn't.

Sorry, but any stat besides the final score is 100% irrelevant. We won ToP...yet we lost. ToP matters in the last quarter, if you're trying to make a comeback or prevent one. We had 0.54 points per minute we had the ball. The Broncos were putting up 1.24 points per minute they had the ball. They weren't doing it with a run game. Our ToP "Victory" clearly meant nothing. Take a look at the stats for the past week on ESPN...ToP is all over the place, and doesn't allow you to come close to predicting who won each game. There are a few ToP blowouts where the team with the ball the most got crushed. Also quite a few where the ToP was near identical but the score was a blowout.

To be fair, IF the run game we did run the clock with went anywhere, it might have been a different story. But it was our passing game that was on the brink of pulling out the W this week...not our backs. And really, this seems where Goodell wants things going. Big exciting plays. Look at the passing yards across the league these days.

teegre
09-12-2012, 08:30 AM
The more I think about it, this is really Ben's year. The defense has always bailed out the offense and it's going to have to be the other way around as it looks.

Spot on. At this juncture, the Steelers ARE Big Ben.

steelfury02
09-12-2012, 08:40 AM
At this point, I don't give two craps about ratios and stats. I'm more worried about D and if somebody put a gun to my head and say "Either bring back Farrior for leadership value alone or keep this many CBs," I'd choose Farrior.

If Troy or Harrison isn't making splash plays, they sure look exposed. Plenty of time to right the wrongs of the secondary - but saying "well we didn't have Clark" is exactly what this defense doesn't want to rely on. If Clark leads in tackles, we have another rough ride ahead of us

We cannot put this season's successes or failures on either side of the ball. The whole team needs to be clicking on all cylinders. We have plenty of time to fix things - but going 0-2, or 1-2 into the bye = Panic Mode.

Darkstorm05
09-12-2012, 08:45 AM
At this point, I don't give two craps about ratios and stats. I'm more worried about D and if somebody put a gun to my head and say "Either bring back Farrior for leadership value alone or keep this many CBs," I'd choose Farrior.

If Troy or Harrison isn't making splash plays, they sure look exposed. Plenty of time to right the wrongs of the secondary - but saying "well we didn't have Clark" is exactly what this defense doesn't want to rely on. If Clark leads in tackles, we have another rough ride ahead of us

We cannot put this season's successes or failures on either side of the ball. The whole team needs to be clicking on all cylinders. We have plenty of time to fix things - but going 0-2, or 1-2 into the bye = Panic Mode.

Every year it seems like the D comes down to a single missing player. Troy, Aaron Smith, Harrison. It really shouldn't matter. A couple missing players on defense shouldn't gimp the whole effort.

Cutting Farrior to keep Foote was a shock, I will admit. We cut the guy ourselves before, and he couldn't hack it with the Lions. What changed between here and there?

steelfury02
09-12-2012, 09:10 AM
I really said that statement regarding Farrior or CBs because I'm a little frustrated with what were supposed to be strengths slowly vanished before week 1. The injuries are really disheartening - so I guess I was looking for a stronger performance for this "exciting" newer group of CBs. Granted, it is the first game - so I won't completely "unleash hell": on them

I was pleased with Foote's performance - I thought he was one of the few that was playing with a fire lit under his arse. I'm not talkin yelling and spitting, just "umph" and for a 32 yr old former backup, he played "above the line" IMHO.

Timmons needs to step it up and get a little more violent out there. I know we were short handed, but someone needs to step up instead of relying on a select few. THAT is how you win SBs - when unexpected heroes emerge . . .

Hawaii 5-0
09-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Steelers Player Profile: Jonathan Dwyer

September 11, 2012

http://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/151688130.jpg?w=300

Jonathan Dwyer led the Pittsburgh Steelers’ ground attack in the season opener Sunday in Denver, gaining 43 yards on nine carries.

Today, we learn a little more about the Steelers running back.

Who is Jonathan Dwyer?

Dwyer was Parade All-American high school football player while playing at Kell High School in Marietta, Ga.

After being named the Georgia Player of the Year in 2007 he committed to play his college football at nearby Georgia Tech.

While at Georgia Tech, Dwyer was named to the ACC All-Freshman team in 2007 before claiming the ACC Player of the Year after gaining over 1,300 yards and scoring 12 touchdowns for the Yellow Jackets in 2008.

How he became a Steeler?

Dwyer became a Pittsburgh Steeler on April 24, 2010, when he was drafted in the 6th round.

Dwyer was the 188th player and 11th running back selected in the 2010 draft. He made the Steelers’ 53-man roster the following September.

His career as a Steeler:

Dwyer made his NFL debut in Week 17 of the 2010 season, running for 28 yards on nine carries against the Cleveland Browns.

The running back played in just seven games last season for the Steelers, collecting his first career 100-yard rushing performance in Week 5 against the Tennessee Titans.

Dwyer totaled 107 yards on the ground that Sunday, including a career long 76-yard run, while filling in for an injured Rashard Mendenhall.

After a third straight successful preseason, Dwyer figures to be in the mix again in the Steelers’ backfield this season as Mendenhall continues to work his way back from off-season knee surgery.

It is unknown whether or not Mendenhall will be able to play in the home opener against the Jets.

If he does not though, expect to see a lot more from Dwyer again this Sunday.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/09/11/steelers-player-profile-jonathan-dwyer/

Fire Haley
09-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Jonathan Dwyer was held out of Steelers practice on Wednesday with a foot injury.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...elers-practice

wtf???

steelfury02
09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
sorry if I missed this, what is Dwyer's status as of now?

Bayz101
09-14-2012, 11:15 AM
sorry if I missed this, what is Dwyer's status as of now?

Full practice Thursday, as well as Mendenhall. Dwyer just had a sore foot.

steelfury02
09-14-2012, 12:15 PM
thanks - when is everyone anticipating Mendy?

Bayz101
09-14-2012, 12:16 PM
thanks - when is everyone anticipating Mendy?

By all accounts, he's looking ready to go. He wasn't ruled out for last week. I expect him to start the week after our bye.

teegre
09-14-2012, 12:53 PM
By all accounts, he's looking ready to go. He wasn't ruled out for last week. I expect him to start the week after our bye.

I agree.

As in: He could go now, but won't go until after the bye.

Brett Cottrell
09-14-2012, 01:02 PM
The 49ers are actually good at it though.

Oh snap!:drink:

Hawaii 5-0
09-14-2012, 06:38 PM
Jonathan Dwyer Likely To Get Increased Opportunities Against Jets

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin did not give specifics during his Tuesday press conference as to what the running back rotation will be this week for the game against the New York Jets, but he did say that that Jonathan Dwyer will likely get more opportunities.

"I think that we are capable of better, said Tomlin, when asked about the running game. "We're still going to play a number of people - we haven't sorted out specifically what that rotation is to this point. Obviously I thought Jonathan Dwyer provided a spark plug and represented himself well, and probably will get an increased opportunity because of it."

Although the Steelers running game struggled as a group Sunday night in the 31-19 loss to the Denver Broncos, gaining just 75 yards on 26 carries, Dwyer was the lone bright spot as he had 43 of those yards on just 9 carries. He also had an 11 yard run in the second quarter negated because wide receiver Mike Wallace was flagged for holding.

Dwyer led the Steelers in rushing during the preseason with 147 yards on 28 carries, and while it still evidently wasn't enough for him to earn the start over Isaac Redman, who battled a hip and ankle injury through most of training camp, you have to wonder if he might very well get the start Sunday against the Jets.

Dwyer is running with a purpose so far this season through the four preseason games and one regular season game and he has been inviting contact down the field. His pass protection has been spot on and he is turning into the complete back that the Steelers hoped he would become when they drafted in the 6th round of the 2010 draft.

While Tomlin did not rule out Rashard Mendenhall from playing Sunday, he did not sound overly convincing that he was ready just yet. Should Mendenhall wind up being inactive once again, it opens the door even wider that Dwyer will not only get a good amount of work against the Jets, but that he might actually start over Redman. We shall see.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/jonathan-dwyer-likely-to-get-increased-opportunities-against-jets/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

FrancoLambert
09-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Dwyer should start and get the bulk of the work.
I remember many fans trashing Mendy for his tip-toeing and demanding Redman be the starter.
Still feel that way?