PDA

View Full Version : Receivers

steeltheone
09-11-2012, 10:16 AM
I hear time and time again how great our wideouts are individually and as a group and how Wallace thinks he is worth 10 million, and once again i look at the statistics and see 70 yards and under for all 3.

I know they are good, but if your gonna spend mega bucks on a receiver, you expect some numbers and clutch performances in tight games.

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I hear time and time again how great our wideouts are individually and as a group and how Wallace thinks he is worth 10 million, and once again i look at the statistics and see 70 yards and under for all 3.

I know they are good, but if your gonna spend mega bucks on a receiver, you expect some numbers and clutch performances in tight games.

Well, when you're always running on first and second down, they aren't going to be targeted much. I was perplexed by the lack of deep throws to Wallace.

steeltheone
09-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Well, when you're always running on first and second down, they aren't going to be targeted much. I was perplexed by the lack of deep throws to Wallace.

I guess what i struggle with is laying big money on wideouts at all? I don't think AB's contract was out of line but i'm not sure the Steelers should pay anymore than that.

Not one of these current receivers has been a "gamer" yet....

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 12:49 PM
I guess what i struggle with is laying big money on wideouts at all? I don't think AB's contract was out of line but i'm not sure the Steelers should pay anymore than that.

Not one of these current receivers has been a "gamer" yet....

Because most players in the NFL want market value. I know everyone likes to think the Steelers are perfect and players should accept less to play for them, but that is not how it works in reality.

If you want to know why the Steelers reportedly offered Wallace $50 million over 5 years, look at the DeSean Jackson and Vincent Jackson contracts.

Cherinko
09-11-2012, 01:04 PM
i look at the statistics and see 70 yards and under for all 3.

You should wait for a larger sample size.

Bayz101
09-11-2012, 01:13 PM

This.

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Well, when you're always running on first and second down, they aren't going to be targeted much.

I'm confused, if we're always running on first and second down then how is that we ended up running the ball only 26 times against Denver yet throwing the ball 40 times?

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm confused, if we're always running on first and second down then how is that we ended up running the ball only 26 times against Denver yet throwing the ball 40 times?

:deadhorse:

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I was perplexed by the lack of deep throws to Wallace.

maybe the fact that Wallace practiced for less than a week might have had something to do with it...

GoFor7
09-11-2012, 05:06 PM
maybe the fact that Wallace practiced for less than a week might have had something to do with it...

Yeah, because Wallace has to be able to recite the playbook in his sleep in order to run deep. :coffee:

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah, because Wallace has to be able to recite the playbook in his sleep in order to run deep. :coffee:

I think it's more of an issue of developing timing with Ben...

xbroughneck
09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I think it's more of an issue of developing timing with Ben...

Was that his excuse the last 6 games of last year too?

Hawaii 5-0
09-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Was that his excuse the last 6 games of last year too?

you make a good point, the way Wallace's production declined the second half of the season and in the playoff game against Denver most likely played a large factor why our front office refused to pay Wallace the $ he was looking for.

steeltheone
09-12-2012, 02:52 AM

Here is a bigger sample size...Games that count!

Wallace..... 4 playoff games including 1 SuperBowl 16-141-1
A. Brown.....4 playoff games including 1 SuperBowl 10-160-0

These are the stats that worry me...this group disappears in big games often....

Bayz101
09-12-2012, 03:07 AM

These are the stats that worry me...this group disappears in big games often....

WflVvKbk454

I'm not worried about Brown.

http://realtalkthemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/4115581.bin_.jpeg

steelfury02
09-12-2012, 09:11 AM
My only thought about this video

It is a helluva a lot easier to make those types of clutch plays in your own house, as well as have that much fire under your ass.

Our guys still have a great chance to take care of business week in and week out, and get tuned for a huge home game v. Baltimore. It is still possible!

teegre
09-12-2012, 09:39 AM

As a rookie, Lynn Swann had 11 receptions in the regular season and ZERO receptions in the SuperBowl.

In his first three seasons, John Stallworth had: 16, 20, & 9 receptions.  

As a rookie, Hines Ward had 16 receptions.  

Darkstorm05
09-12-2012, 09:56 AM
When the pressure is on and you're fighting to get above water, you're going to go with your instincts and throw to the guy you're most in synch with. That's Brown. All those weeks Wallace was sitting at home whining for millions of dollars, Brown was on the field with Ben, making it Ben's instinct to look for him first. Wallace has some work to do if he wants to get back into there as the preferred target.

steeltheone
09-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Again, the only reason I look at these stats are because of the Big money that they expect. I have no worries about Brown either.... He is worth more just because of his return abilities...

Darkstorm05
09-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Again, the only reason I look at these stats are because of the Big money that they expect. I have no worries about Brown either.... He is worth more just because of his return abilities...

That issue also seems to be the way of the league. Contract bloat. Does anyone really think Casey Hampton is going to have a $5 mil impact on games this year to recoup his cap hit? I don't. Harrison is pulling down 10 mil for the year, and isn't healthy. What if he only starts 8 games?

The CBA requires more and more minimum salary spending. It has to go somewhere.

steeltheone
09-12-2012, 02:45 PM
That issue also seems to be the way of the league. Contract bloat. Does anyone really think Casey Hampton is going to have a $5 mil impact on games this year to recoup his cap hit? I don't. Harrison is pulling down 10 mil for the year, and isn't healthy. What if he only starts 8 games?

The CBA requires more and more minimum salary spending. It has to go somewhere.

We could not replace Hampton outright or I don't think he would be here...( he did take a cut) McClendon has had a good preseason but still had question marks coming in so I don't the FO had any choice... Harrison is still super productive when healthy...I'm not sure the FO can bring him back next year at a dollar amount he will want ( because of age and injurys) but again, we have no replacement ready?

Receivers have always been an easier fix for the short term especially with a franchise QB.

Darkstorm05
09-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Harrison is still super productive when healthy...I'm not sure the FO can bring him back next year at a dollar amount he will want ( because of age and injurys) but again, we have no replacement ready?

We have plenty of replacements ready...just none that are pro-bowlers. It seems like many fans won't accept a player taking over for a vet at the tail of their career unless they're making huge game shattering plays on a regular basis. I know in an ideal world the AFC Pro Bowl squad would consist of the entire Steelers roster, but it's time we faced reality. A lot of these stars on D are winding down, and we don't have HoF candidates in the making waiting to step in for all of them.