PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson's Anti-Semetic Tirade

HometownGal
07-31-2006, 06:57 PM
Wow! Mel Gibson really has some issues. He was arrested for a DUI and went into an anti-Semitic flipout on the police who were arresting. Not a smart move there Mel. :blurp:

The 4 page police report is available for viewing - just scroll down to find the link. It is hard to read but I could make out enough of it to get the big picture. He later apologized for his remarks.

http://www.tmz.com/2006/07/28/gibsons-anti-semitic-tirade-alleged-cover-up/

The only thing he said that made me laugh was:

"A law enforcement source says Gibson then noticed another female sergeant and yelled, "What do you think you're looking at, sugar ti*s?" :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
07-31-2006, 07:20 PM
http://www.intersinema.com/kisi/resimler/g/gibson_mel/br_mel_gibson.gif EQUALS http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/81172/200.jpg

Hammer67
07-31-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, dumb move by Mel. But what pisses me off is that the media in this country are making a bigger deal out of a drunken tirade instead of concentrating on the bigger issue in that he was driving drunk and could have killed someone.

Who cares what some drunk guy goes off about. I have heard the most ridiculous things come out of the most unsuspecting people while hammered.

Shame on the media for blowing up the wrong issue here.

Dumb move by Mel all around but I still think he is a great filmmaker.

Ambridge
07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Sounds like Mel might be having a mini-breakdown.

Regardless of his issues he's really made an ASS of himself.

Hawk Believer
07-31-2006, 08:45 PM
Here is a question for those of you who consider yourselves afficianados on drunkeness...

Do you think a guy who is flipping out while drunk would say anti-semitic stuff like that if he didn't conciously believe it? I really wonder if people are capable of saying things like that if they don't truly believe it in their core. I am guessing the answer is no.

Kudos, I guess, to Mel for owning his awful behavior:
"After drinking alcohol on Thursday night, I did a number of things that were very wrong and for which I am ashamed. I drove a car when I should not have, and was stopped by the LA County Sheriffs. The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person. I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested, and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable. I am deeply ashamed of everything I said. Also, I take this opportunity to apologize to the deputies involved for my belligerent behavior. They have always been there for me in my community and indeed probably saved me from myself. I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse. I apologize for any behavior unbecoming of me in my inebriated state and have already taken necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Thats about all you can ask for an apology I supose. A wise move to admit it and not be afraid to incrimnate himself before charges IMO. But it sure as heck doesn't undo the damage he's done.

Mosca
07-31-2006, 09:14 PM
He's a freakin' actor. The far left has its loony actors like Alec Baldwin, and the far right has its loony actors like Mel Gibson. If they were normal they'd have real jobs.

I agree with Hammer67, all around. Wrong issue. He was drunk and going 87 in a 45. That's flying. And he's still made some awesome films.

I'm not sure about "in vino veritas". I'd tend to totally disregard what someone said when hammered. I think it gets used selectively; if you don't like someone you can trot out "in vino veritas", if you do like that person you say, "He didn't mean it, he was drunk."

I'm not a big fan of Mel's politics and I think his reactionary Catholicism is strange, but I don't think he is an anti-Semite. I think he's screwed up. I think he thinks about that stuff waaaaaaay too much and he said what he thought would be the most offensive thing he could think of, not because he believed it but because he is obsessed by those themes and that is what came naturally to him. He knew that some people would be offended by it, so he tried to offend them. It was his situational version of Pisschrist.

But 87 in a 45? Geez. I got caught a couple weeks ago going 64 in a 45 (stupid, I know, the limit went from 65 to 45 and I wasn't paying attention) and I was motoring. I couldn't imagine going 23mph faster there. I don't go 87 when the speed limit is 65. And I don't drink.

Tom

Hammer67
07-31-2006, 09:57 PM
Here is a question for those of you who consider yourselves afficianados on drunkeness...

Do you think a guy who is flipping out while drunk would say anti-semitic stuff like that if he didn't conciously believe it? I really wonder if people are capable of saying things like that if they don't truly believe it in their core. I am guessing the answer is no.

:laughing: Clearly you haven't been around the same drunk people I have!!! I think drunk speak can boarder on all kinds of ridiculousness...I would probably equate it to dreaming. You can't control what happens to either.

I remember in college having the "I said/did what??!!:pde:" conversation with many a friend.

Hammer67
07-31-2006, 09:59 PM
He's a freakin' actor. The far left has its loony actors like Alec Baldwin, and the far right has its loony actors like Mel Gibson. If they were normal they'd have real jobs.

I agree with Hammer67, all around. Wrong issue. He was drunk and going 87 in a 45. That's flying. And he's still made some awesome films.

I'm not sure about "in vino veritas". I'd tend to totally disregard what someone said when hammered. I think it gets used selectively; if you don't like someone you can trot out "in vino veritas", if you do like that person you say, "He didn't mean it, he was drunk."

I'm not a big fan of Mel's politics and I think his reactionary Catholicism is strange, but I don't think he is an anti-Semite. I think he's screwed up. I think he thinks about that stuff waaaaaaay too much and he said what he thought would be the most offensive thing he could think of, not because he believed it but because he is obsessed by those themes and that is what came naturally to him. He knew that some people would be offended by it, so he tried to offend them. It was his situational version of Pisschrist.

But 87 in a 45? Geez. I got caught a couple weeks ago going 64 in a 45 (stupid, I know, the limit went from 65 to 45 and I wasn't paying attention) and I was motoring. I couldn't imagine going 23mph faster there. I don't go 87 when the speed limit is 65. And I don't drink.

Tom

Very true...and, at the end of the day, who gives a shit even if he does feel that way? He's an actor...they all are strange, in my opinion.

Hawk Believer
07-31-2006, 10:39 PM
:laughing: Clearly you haven't been around the same drunk people I have!!! I think drunk speak can boarder on all kinds of ridiculousness...I would probably equate it to dreaming. You can't control what happens to either.

I remember in college having the "I said/did what??!!:pde:" conversation with many a friend.

I admittedly haven't had much expereince dealing with drunk off their ass people. Kinda sad in some ways. I asked the question in all honesty. It just seems to me such a random thing to rail about if it wasn't something you didn't actually believe. But the human brain is a wierd and complicated thing.

Livinginthe past
08-01-2006, 02:06 AM
My own personal opinion is that being drunk often brings out the thoughts you spend your time repressing while sober.

There is alot of racism in this world, most people are guilty of it one way or the other and to some degree - myself included.

There is a difference between being blind drunk and talking about 'spaceships made out of custard'* which obviously complete nonsense, and going into a crazed anti-semetic rant.

I dont know if being an actor makes much of a difference, I dont know any well enough to get sh*tfaced with em!

NM

* Disclaimer - I have never talked about spaceships made of custard....ever.

hardwork
08-01-2006, 03:50 AM

I'm guessing you're right. Why would someone who was not anti-semitic become anti-semitic after a few frosties? They wouldn't.

Hammer67
08-01-2006, 07:55 AM
I'm guessing you're right. Why would someone who was not anti-semitic become anti-semitic after a few frosties? They wouldn't.

Not defending Mel or claiming to know his true thoughts but, as devil's advocate, I know many people who say thinks just to get reactions while intoxicated. Things they truly don't believe but will say out of drunken beligerance.

But, regardless, the gist of my point is the media not focusing on the main issue which was driving almost 90mph drunk. Who cares what crap comes out of his mouth.

Hasn't anyone seen the show Cops and what drunken idiots say?

Livinginthe past
08-01-2006, 08:05 AM
Not defending Mel or claiming to know his true thoughts but, as devil's advocate, I know many people who say thinks just to get reactions while intocicated. Things they truly don't believe but will say out of drunken beligerance.

But, regardless, the gist of my point is the media not focusing on the main issue which was driving almost 90mph drunk. Who cares what crap comes out of his mouth.

Hasn't anyone seen the show Cops and what drunken idiots say?

So why wouldn't he make comments about how all police are Nazi pigs or something similar?

If he was being 'belligerent' as you say then surely he would have said something that would have been more directly offensive to the cops who arrested him?

NM

Mosca
08-01-2006, 08:06 AM
It's the war between what he was taught to believe (anti-Semitism) and what he learned to believe (God loves us all). He gets drunk, the war flares up.

We're all fed vile garbage when we're young. My father used to tell racist jokes at the dinner table to his six young children and we laughed. (He denies doing that today, but he did it.) It's what I was taught. By my father, the strongest influence in my life, who in all other ways was a loving and giving man. So, that makes me a racist by default, because I've had to spend my whole life unlearning that behavior, and it's been hard. But, does that racism make me bad, or does my recognition of it and my fight against it make me good?

Is Mel a bad person because of feelings that he had no choice in getting? Or is he a good person for recognizing the evilness of those feelings and making the decision to consciously change them? And if he's an alcoholic, is it more telling that he spends every moment of his life trying to be just and good, or that he spent an hour in a drunken rant releasing the pent-up demons?

Or is he just another schmoe trying to get along in a world of pitfalls, maybe doing it better than some but not as well as others? We come into this world naked and alone, we leave this world naked and alone.

Again, I'm no fan of the guy's off-the-wall reactionist Catholicism. But in this case he's getting a raw deal on the tirade thing.

Remember the basic tenet of Mel's deep faith, that we are all sinners who have to fight every second of our lives against Satan. And Mel's much more devout than most of the rest of us are. It may be because that fight is much more real to him, that his demons are much more deeply rooted.

AND HE'S STILL JUST AN ACTOR.

Tom

BlackNGold203
08-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Pretty sad....when Mel Gibson's drunken rants damn near make the top billing on CNN.com ... with everything else going on in the world....

I could care less what Mel Gibson does or says....

just my two cents....

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2006, 09:25 AM
For the record, Mel Gibson's father is one who believes the holocaust never occured. Just putting that out there........

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 10:19 AM
very valid points that mosca and 83 steelers bring up. to answer litp's question heres what i picked up on fox news.

gibson has been pulled over twice on the same stretch of highway. the 1st time he went off saying he owned the small town he was heading to. he was let go. the second time he pretty much ignored the officer and talked on his cellphone. the officer became so frustrated he just let him go. and now this most recent time, the officers were actually busted in trying to change the original police report and cover for mel again. this time it was too late. one officer at the scene said initially mel seemed despondent as if he had really screwed something up (like this may affect his marriage or something)

im thinking in his drunken state instead of going off on the cops he probably went off on the media who was gonna run with this story (which they did). now some people think all the media is owned by jews. he probably said something stupid to the likes of:

"that f'ing jew media is gonna try and hang me on the cross now, f'ing jew bastards"

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2006, 10:29 AM
"that f'ing jew media is gonna try and hang me on the cross now, f'ing jew bastards"

http://forum.thesimpson.it/upload/portachiavi%20cartman%20donna.jpg

hardwork
08-01-2006, 01:53 PM
very valid points that mosca and 83 steelers bring up. to answer litp's question heres what i picked up on fox news.

gibson has been pulled over twice on the same stretch of highway. the 1st time he went off saying he owned the small town he was heading to. he was let go. the second time he pretty much ignored the officer and talked on his cellphone. the officer became so frustrated he just let him go. and now this most recent time, the officers were actually busted in trying to change the original police report and cover for mel again. this time it was too late. one officer at the scene said initially mel seemed despondent as if he had really screwed something up (like this may affect his marriage or something)

im thinking in his drunken state instead of going off on the cops he probably went off on the media who was gonna run with this story (which they did). now some people think all the media is owned by jews. he probably said something stupid to the likes of:

Get out your boots the BS is getting pretty deep in here.

Gibson is anti-semitic, face the facts. He isn't the only one in the world, but he is one.

Hammer67
08-01-2006, 02:43 PM
So why wouldn't he make comments about how all police are Nazi pigs or something similar?

If he was being 'belligerent' as you say then surely he would have said something that would have been more directly offensive to the cops who arrested him?

NM

Uhh....okay...yeah, whatever you say.

Anyways...my point was who cares what he said? The important thing is he was driving drunk. The media focuses on the wrong thing, yet again.

Hammer67
08-01-2006, 02:46 PM

Gibson is anti-semitic, face the facts. He isn't the only one in the world, but he is one.

Ok..but who cares if he is? He is a stupid actor. Why is this a top news story?

And Michael Moore and Alec Baldwin are anti anything US. Again...stupid actors.

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 03:32 PM

did you ignore the facts i presented of his prior 2 altercations? or an eyewitnesses account? i guess my quote of what i thought he might have said can be mistaken for me saying hes not anti semitic:

"that f'ing jew media is gonna try and hang me on the cross now, f'ing jew bastards" lol

either your computer screen needs dusted off or that was a piss poor attempt to insinuate i was BSing and apologizing for gibsons actions.

DiggetyDank
08-01-2006, 04:30 PM
I would have to disagree with the people that would say that the media is reporting the wrong angle. From a journalistic standpoint, an actor driving drunk is not news. Every moron actor thinks that he's above the law. But when an actor gets pulled over and goes on anti-jew tirade, when said actor is producing a miniseries for Disney about the Holocaust (well, not anymore) and actor's father is an avowed Holocaust denier, well - that is out of the ordinary.

Personally, I think that Gibson is probably an anti-Semite, most fundamentalist Christians are, but to their credit, most of them think everyone is going to hell, Jews just get special attention for killing Jesus. His pet project was based on "Passion Plays" that have been used to incite animosity towards Jews for hundreds of years. He had a chance to tell a great story about the life of Jesus, but instead made what was basically a homerotic snuff film that will make all the fundies that watch it hate the Jews that killed their Savior even more than they do already. But like, that's just my opinion.

Mosca
08-01-2006, 05:39 PM
LOL, pretty good. You have a point that I missed because I don't think about Mel Gibson much. I didn't realize how much influence he has. I looked at his IMDB entry, and I've only seen 8 of his films, and I only remembered that I'd seen 5 of them. (Max 1&2, Lethal Weapon, Gallipoli, We Were Soldiers... are the ones I remembered. Ransom, Forever Young, and The River were the ones I forgot.)

I still think that he's just a royally screwed up guy, thinks too hard about stuff, probably practices self-flagellation, probably identifies with St Catherine of Siena. He lives a life of abject shame at who he is.

Tom

I would have to disagree with the people that would say that the media is reporting the wrong angle. From a journalistic standpoint, an actor driving drunk is not news. Every moron actor thinks that he's above the law. But when an actor gets pulled over and goes on anti-jew tirade, when said actor is producing a miniseries for Disney about the Holocaust (well, not anymore) and actor's father is an avowed Holocaust denier, well - that is out of the ordinary.

Personally, I think that Gibson is probably an anti-Semite, most fundamentalist Christians are, but to their credit, most of them think everyone is going to hell, Jews just get special attention for killing Jesus. His pet project was based on "Passion Plays" that have been used to incite animosity towards Jews for hundreds of years. He had a chance to tell a great story about the life of Jesus, but instead made what was basically a homerotic snuff film that will make all the fundies that watch it hate the Jews that killed their Savior even more than they do already. But like, that's just my opinion.

hardwork
08-01-2006, 06:46 PM

I'm thinking this is BS. I'm thinking he didn't go off on the media. I'm thinking he went off on Jews, period. He said Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. Was he saying they start these wars so they can report on them in the media? I don't think so.

Now, why is this getting coverage? Several reasons. One, this isn't the first time Gibson has been embroiled in anti-semitic controversy. Two, and most importantly, Israel is at war. That war's outcome could be determined by how people view the two participants. So, obviously, anti-semitic remarks from an international personality are going to be taken very seriously right now.

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm thinking this is BS. I'm thinking he didn't go off on the media. I'm thinking he went off on Jews, period. He said Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world. Was he saying they start these wars so they can report on them in the media? I don't think so.

Now, why is this getting coverage? Several reasons. One, this isn't the first time Gibson has been embroiled in anti-semitic controversy. Two, and most importantly, Israel is at war. That war's outcome could be determined by how people view the two participants. So, obviously, anti-semitic remarks from an international personality are going to be taken very seriously right now.fine. look at it as bs. but i was pretty close. he blasted jews and blasted them hard. i havent read transcripts of the police report, nor know exactly what it said. i really dont care. it was a tirade by a drunk actor.

now, one can believe that he made only the one statement that was reported: "jews are responsible for all the wars in the world", or you can believe he went off hurling several insults. im betting he had a little more to say than that one sentence.

i could be wrong. but im probably not. do you really think, getting pulled over by the cops, he was more concerned with the current conflict in the middle east more than how the media were gonna handle him being arrested for d.u.i.?

hardwork
08-01-2006, 07:18 PM
fine. look at it as bs. but i was pretty close. he blasted jews and blasted them hard. i havent read transcripts of the police report, nor know exactly what it said. i really dont care. it was a tirade by a drunk actor.

now, one can believe that he made only the one statement that was reported: "jews are responsible for all the wars in the world", or you can believe he went off hurling several insults. im betting he had a little more to say than that one sentence.

i could be wrong. but im probably not. do you really think, getting pulled over by the cops, he was more concerned with the current conflict in the middle east more than how the media were gonna handle him being arrested for d.u.i.?

1) It was a tirade by an anti-semite who happened to be drunk.

2) Who said anything about him making only one statement?

3) He went off on Jews because he's anti-semitic, not because he was worried about the media. If he'd been worried about the media, he wouldn't have gone off on Jews.

Hammer67
08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
3) He went off on Jews because he's anti-semitic, not because he was worried about the media. If he'd been worried about the media, he wouldn't have gone off on Jews.

Unless , of course, he was drunk...

You guys are debating the motives of a drunk guy....that's pretty funny.

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
1) It was a tirade by an anti-semite who happened to be drunk.

2) Who said anything about him making only one statement?

1) = 3) you said the same thing. "anti-semite" = "anti-semetic" (of course one is a noun and one is an adjective if you wanna get into semantics). if he was worried about getting busted he wouldnt have driven drunk right?

2) you posted just the one statement right? i actually extrapolated on the reported statement and gave insight to what else might have been said putting the whole incident into context based on the reported police write ups and eyewitness accounts as reported by FOX news.

wow, now it looks like its you who are full of the BS.

3 to be 4
08-01-2006, 08:44 PM

what a bunch of crap. for one thing, true Christians love Israel and love Jews because Jesus was a Jew, his disciples were Jews, hello! who wrote the Old Testament........
and another, while Merl Gibson the man may be very flawed, his film is as cose to scripture as you'll see on film. It was the media who made it out to be "Anti-Semetic", if you actually WATCH the movie it shows that most Jews who came in contact with Jesus believed in him. It was the religious and political leaders that couldnt deal with their loss of stature with the arrival of the Son of God and so had to get rid of him. That is the truth. As a Jew who came to accept Jesus I spent many a year hearing the tales from both sides and as usual in life its a little of both. It wasnt the "Jews" who killed Jesus. It was mankind. Romans and Jewish leaders conspired. But to deny Jewish people were involved would be like a southerner saying that southerners didnt keep slaves. That is not an indictment on my "heritage" or Jews or anything. They were there. And they werent alone. The point of scripture and of the movie is that we ALL killed Christ. And we are all sinners. But Christ forgives us if we accept Him. In fact, the hand that drives the first nail into Jesus was the hand of Mel Gibson because he wanted it known that he know he killed Christ as much as anybody.
THat being said, he himself, may be after all, an anti-semite and a big A-hole. But im here to defend the movie, which mysteriously cant be found anywhere on Tv, not pay per view, not some indy station. Even, Farenheit 9/11 gets shown on cable. But not the "Passion" why?
And theres no way im going to here that "most Fundementalist Christians are Anti-Semitic"
there are some,yes, i encountered ignorant folks like that in Baptist circles in South Carolina. But for the most part, no way. People who read and understand the Bible know that God loves the Jews, and in fact, if there is any country that is "Gods Country", its not the US, which isnt mentioned in scripture, its Israel. Deal with it, America.

floodcitygirl
08-01-2006, 08:54 PM
Thank you 3 to be 4, I wanted to say the same thing...you said it better! :smile:

CAH
08-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Being drunk is no excuse since that's when your true thoughts come out.

You made it on my SHIT LIST.

SteelerzGirl
08-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Being drunk is no excuse since that's when your true thoughts come out.

You made it on my SHIT LIST.

What she said! Drunk drivers suck! :frown:

augustashark
08-02-2006, 02:18 PM
What she said! Drunk drivers suck! :frown:

I agree, but you have to remind yourself that millions and millions of people everyday drive while (legally) drunk. I myself do not condone drinking and driving, but I'm a realist and understand that so many people do it that if I hated everyone that did, then I would hate most people. I could be wrong, but I would say that at least 50% of all legal aged americans have at one time in their life drove while legally drunk (.08 bal in most states)!

To me it is an outrage, but it will never change!

SteelerzGirl
08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I agree, but you have to remind yourself that millions and millions of people everyday drive while (legally) drunk. I myself do not condone drinking and driving, but I'm a realist and understand that so many people do it that if I hated everyone that did, then I would hate most people. I could be wrong, but I would say that at least 50% of all legal aged americans have at one time in their life drove while legally drunk (.08 bal in most states)!

To me it is an outrage, but it will never change!

Great post, as always, augusta. I agree that it will never change unless those who do drink and drive become more responsible people in that regard. And what are the odds of that happening?

In Mel Gibson's case, I think there were people available who offered to be designated drivers for him and he refused their help. That was just stupidness on his part, and now he's paying the price. I just thank God he didn't kill anyone.

It's nice seeing you around again. :smile:

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Mel Gibson = Dick who felt he could get off on a DUI charge. It worked the first time. Time for him to pay the price. I'm sorry, I've been damn drunk in the past and I never felt the need to rant on a certain group of people (blacks, jews, whites, greens, blues, reds). In my opinion, Mel showed his true colors. Look no further than his dad. The man who denies the holocaust and who he helps build churches (one near here unfortunately) around the country. The guy is a religious nut. Plain and simple.

The rest of us "simple folk" = Get pulled over and either get our license taken away from us with a fat fine or end up in jail.

HometownGal
08-03-2006, 10:24 AM
The rest of us "simple folk" = Get pulled over and either get our license taken away from us with a fat fine or end up in jail.

Sad, but unfortunately true. :rolleyes:

I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. I've never been a big boozer, but I tied one on at an office Christmas party 8 years ago and was so drunk, I honestly couldn't remember driving home, though I know I did in the wee hours of the morning. My SUV was parked sideways in my driveway and I was horrified the next morning realizing that I could have killed an innocent and unsuspecting person/people and promised myself I would never - ever - get behind the wheel of a vehicle again while imbibing. I've kept that promise.

Seems as though things aren't getting any better for Mel.

http://today.reuters.com/stocks/QuoteCompanyNewsArticle.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-08-01T080428Z_01_N01377961_RTRIDST_0_PEOPLE-GIBSON-ABC-UPDATE-1.XML&rpc=66

NEW YORK, Aug 1 (Reuters) - The ABC television network has pulled a miniseries about the Holocaust it was developing with Mel Gibson's production company, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday, quoting an unidentified representative for the network.

Gibson was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving early on Friday and was reported to have launched into a tirade against Jews, asking the arresting officer if he was a Jew and blaming the Jews for starting all wars.

The actor, who holds strong conservative Catholic religious and political views and whose father is a Holocaust denier, apologized on Saturday.

The incident has raised questions about the future of projects Gibson and his Icon Productions company are working on, like the ABC television miniseries based on a memoir about a Dutch Jew during World War II, the newspaper said.

An ABC representative told the paper, without elaborating, it has been two years and the network still has not seen a script, so the project is being pulled.

A spokesperson for ABC, which is owned by Walt Disney Co. (DIS.N: Quote, Profile, Research), could not be reached for comment.

Disney's movie studio arm still plans to release Gibson's self-financed Mayan-language movie "Apocalypto" on Dec. 8, Hollywood's trade papers reported. The Web site Slate.com quoted Walt Disney Studios president Oren Aviv as saying he accepted Gibson's apology.

SteelCzar76
08-03-2006, 06:40 PM

Tom

There is always personal truth in wine.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

beSteelmyheart
08-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Would there be a 4 page thread on this if Joe Blow got caught driving drunk & spouted hatred at the cops? maybe, but probably not.
I think the media has seized another opportunity to blow something out of proportion..because Mel is rich & famous.
I wonder if regular people would pull this stupid sh!t if they knew they would be plastered all over the news the next day & for days after.
Mel is rich enough, he should have found an alternative. Called a cab, rented a room to sleep it off, whatever.
Spouting hatred is also ridiculous. There are still alot of racists in this world, but to flame off publicly about it is just idiotic. He needs to keep it to himself, we don't need to hear it. there is enough going on in this world because of hatred. And if that doesn't sit right with him, he can leave our country, I doubt if any of us regular blue collar drunks would miss him. You know, the ones who realized that drinking & driving just aint worth it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-04-2006, 09:13 AM
The only good things about this is that: 1) He got caught and one more drunk is off the street 2) This will give Liberals a stroke trying to choose between his being from left leaning Hollywood and his being a so called conservative who is anti-semetic

3 to be 4
08-04-2006, 07:19 PM
just keep the eye on the prize, brothers and sisters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rBb5BhtPXc

stillers4me
08-05-2006, 12:26 PM
My opinion......

Shame on you,, Mel, for getting behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated. Bad Boy. You should have the same punishment anyone else would that makes the same choice.

As for what he said, I may or may not agree with it but this is American and I support his right to say or feel anything he wants. American soldiers are dying everyday to protect our right to be an idiot. I am more offended by "celebrities" that that ram their political views down my throat because they think they have a podium because they are famous. At least Mel voiced his opinion in his private time, not his public time. ( and being sloshed out of his gourd may have "something" to do with it). If you don't want to watch his movies because of it, that's your right to do so.

I doubt the media or Hollywood would give a rats patootie about what he said if he had produced The Passion of Brokeback Mountain instead of The Passion of Christ.

3 to be 4
08-05-2006, 04:17 PM
another wonderful tune to help keep the focus in these times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2qfCynlTVg

Hawk Believer
08-05-2006, 08:44 PM
If you search the progression of media, there was a significant amount of press when all the media knew was that he'd been arrested for a DUI. It wasn't a huge deal though. It was about the same amount of press that the 2 actors from Lost got last year with their DUIs. I don't believe he got any more press abotu the DUI than any A-list Hollywood type would get, conservative or liberal.

It was the anti-semitism that made it a huge story a few days later. Again, I think any person who said so vile things that was a public figure would have generated a huge amount of press; such overt statements are fortunately remarkable in this day and age.

But Mel gets extra attention because he:
A) was raised by an Jew hating bigot
B) Made a movie about the Passion, which had a distant but awful history of being used as anti-semitic propaganda in "passion plays"
C) had been very public in his satements that he was not anti-semitic.

So when he made statements that directly contradicted part C, thats news. The media loves nothing more that pointing out someone else's hypocrisy.

Its really too bad. Being in a very lefty town, I actually had defended Gibson many times when the Passion was a big topic. I believed the man when he said he wasn't anti-semitic and recognized that he did some very concious, symbolic things in his movie to show he was not trying to blame Jews for Jesus's death, but all men. I still think the movie is not anti-semitic; it's merit should be evaluated seperate from its producers unfortunate statements.

I still am trying to figure out if a person would say those things if he didn't really mean them. I was wondering if he grew up watching his Dad say things like that when he was pissed off, maybe statements like that are imprinted in the recesses of his mind and could come out when he is inebriated and pissed.

But I still think the majority of people would not say that if they didn't believe it....

3 to be 4
08-05-2006, 09:29 PM
just had a thought seperating the man from the art.

Just because Woody Allen is a deviant, does that makes his movies not funny?

Mel Gibson is just another human, which means hes a big sinner like everybody else, including Christians. It doesnt take away one bit, what the Holy Spirit inspired him to create. God used his talents to tell the story. It cant make it easy for Gibson to recover from his personal demons with the weight of responsibilty that has been placed on him because of making that film. He needs to let go of it and concentrate on getting Mel's head on straight.

floodcitygirl
08-05-2006, 10:16 PM
just had a thought seperating the man from the art.

Just because Woody Allen is a deviant, does that makes his movies not funny?

Mel Gibson is just another human, which means hes a big sinner like everybody else, including Christians. It doesnt take away one bit, what the Holy Spirit inspired him to create. God used his talents to tell the story. It cant make it easy for Gibson to recover from his personal demons with the weight of responsibilty that has been placed on him because of making that film. He needs to let go of it and concentrate on getting Mel's head on straight.I do get what you're saying here but I've got to tell you that after I heard that he was having sex with his step-daughter....I have a hard time even looking at the guy!:thmbdown: Maybe if you had used a different comparison......

3 to be 4
08-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I do get what you're saying here but I've got to tell you that after I heard that he was having sex with his step-daughter....I have a hard time even looking at the guy!:thmbdown: Maybe if you had used a different comparison......

PeeWee Herman? c'mon, playhouse is still funny!

floodcitygirl
08-05-2006, 10:28 PM
PeeWee Herman? c'mon, playhouse is still funny!Never saw it! (lol) But if I remember right....didn't PeeWee "act" alone??? :rolleyes:

HometownGal
08-06-2006, 08:13 AM
The media loves nothing more that pointing out someone else's hypocrisy.

Can't disagree with you here. That is what sells stories and puts moola in their pockets. I hope Mel gets some help for his addiction and that this experience makes him a better person. Adversity has a way of doing that.