PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley promises Steelers won’t be 0-2

Hawaii 5-0
09-13-2012, 02:31 PM
LaMarr Woodley promises Steelers won’t be 0-2

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 13, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/lamarr-e1347550819528.jpg?w=228

Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley doesn’t even want to hear anyone suggest that his team could be 0-2 after Sunday’s game.

When a reporter prefaced a question to Woodley by noting that the Steelers are a loss away from their first 0-2 start in a decade, Woodley quickly cut her off.

“And we won’t be 0-2” Woodley said, via the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “Every week the mindset is to go out there and win a football game, and not start the season off bad. So far we’re 0-1, and we’ll manage to not go 0-2.”

The Steelers are favored to beat the Jets on Sunday, but given the way the Jets played in their own Week One game, it certainly wouldn’t be a shock if Woodley’s prediction fails to come true. But one positive sign for the Steelers is that the last time they started 0-2, in 2002, they still made the playoffs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/13/lamarr-woodley-promises-steelers-wont-be-0-2/

StainlessStill
09-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm such a DIEHARD fan, that when we lose, fans and HATERS alike blow up my phone gloating or asking exactly what happened like I'm part of the team. For my sake (and my sanity and happiness, HAHA) I beg for him to be right. HERE WE GO!! I'll be in the house. Section 522 with my father!

TheDude
09-13-2012, 02:35 PM
I can appreciate the confidence...but I gotta admit, Wood's play in Denver was a bit too quiet IMO to be spouting off at the mouth in any way, shape, form or fashion.

MACH1
09-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm such a DIEHARD fan, that when we lose, fans and HATERS alike blow up my phone gloating or asking exactly what happened like I'm part of the team. For my sake (and my sanity and happiness, HAHA) I beg for him to be right. HERE WE GO!! I'll be in the house. Section 522 with my father!

Your not alone my friend.

The D better show up for this one or they will be 0-2.

StainlessStill
09-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I can appreciate the confidence...but I gotta admit, Wood's play in Denver was a bit too quiet IMO to be spouting off at the mouth in any way, shape, form or fashion.

Since I was facepalming practically ALL NIGHT after I saw yet, another 2 of our men on the offensive line go down with injury, I looked up and noticed Woodley not even ON THE FIELD for a series or 3. I about panicked off my lid when I saw Carter and fat-Worlids manning (no pun-intended) our edge rush.

That said, I'm sick and absolute TIRED of this defensive line not getting a pass rush. It seemed for most of the night, we tried to bring pressure right up the gut and time and time again, our defensive lineman got stone-walled (that's being nice. We seemed to play with no fire!) and Lawrence Timmons CONTINUED to play out of position while Woodley barely did much of anything. I'm willing to give Woodley the benefit of the doubt. Worlids or Carter is NO threat to an offensive tackle when it comes to the outside rush. All they did was neutralize Woodley and spread our 43 out.

I look for Woodley and the entire defensive unit to rebound. There's only a SMALL handful of quarterbacks in this league that can pick us apart the way Manning did. Mark Sanchez will NOT be able to move the ball at will against us. It takes a ton amount of TIME and football INTELLIGIENCE to understand the inside track of our defense. Peyton Manning is no slouch. He's possibly the best ever.

This time around, we'll have our legit FS in there and Polamalu won't have to worry about being takin' out of the gameplan for the sake of deep 3rd. I just don't see Sanchez having the smarts to move his offense against AIR, let alone our defensive scheme. I don't care how many points they scored against Buffalo. We feast on QB's like Sanchez.

Darkstorm05
09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
I think as long as we protect the ball, our offense should be able to win this one for us, even if the D turns soft. Just avoid throwing picks, and we're golden.

TheDude
09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Since I was facepalming practically ALL NIGHT after I saw yet, another 2 of our men on the offensive line go down with injury, I looked up and noticed Woodley not even ON THE FIELD for a series or 3. I about panicked off my lid when I saw Carter and fat-Worlids manning (no pun-intended) our edge rush.

That said, I'm sick and absolute TIRED of this defensive line not getting a pass rush. It seemed for most of the night, we tried to bring pressure right up the gut and time and time again, our defensive lineman got stone-walled (that's being nice. We seemed to play with no fire!) and Lawrence Timmons CONTINUED to play out of position while Woodley barely did much of anything. I'm willing to give Woodley the benefit of the doubt. Worlids or Carter is NO threat to an offensive tackle when it comes to the outside rush. All they did was neutralize Woodley and spread our 43 out..

Al Woods was subbed in during the defense's first series!!!!

The substitution patterns throughout much of the nite were questionable

There were points during the game where I felt like our coaching staff was out-thinking themselves a little.

StainlessStill
09-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Al Woods was subbed in during the defense's first series!!!!

The substitution patterns throughout much of the nite were questionable

There were points during the game where I felt like our coaching staff was out-thinking themselves a little.

I read a quote from Eric Dekker this morning that absolutley, positively pissed me off. He said "They pretty much ran the same thing all night." Which brings us back to the Wild-Card game where there wasn't ONE adjustment whatsoever. That's alarming to me.

TheDude
09-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I read a quote from Eric Dekker this morning that absolutley, positively pissed me off. He said "They pretty much ran the same thing all night." Which brings us back to the Wild-Card game where there wasn't ONE adjustment whatsoever. That's alarming to me.

I think the no huddle contributed to that. It controlled & dictated our personnel.

70 yd catch and runs for TDs dont help tho.

You hear Tomlin talk about how each game has "game deciding plays"....well, Ryan Mundy contributed to game deciding plays in a negative way in back to back games.

Im with you stainless....Coach LeBeau's solution jar has seemed uncharacteristically empty. His adjustments have been crucial to our success.

But there is no substitute for a players execution.

Steelers>NFL
09-14-2012, 08:14 AM
enough of the guarantees. just go out and win!

WVABE
09-14-2012, 08:26 AM
If the Wood is the only one on the D line to bring the wood, then well you know what happens next.

sluggermatt15
09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Your not alone my friend.

The D better show up for this one or they will be 0-2.

Agreed. IMO this game is going to be much more difficult than everyone thinks. Despite the Steelers being picked to win at about 78%, it is very possible the Jets can win.

The Jets are going to try and run the ball against us. If we can shut that down, I like our chances. Shonn Greene is not a fancy back. He is pretty vanilla. Conversely, the Steelers NEED to be able to run the football. No way we can rely on Big Ben and passing to control the game. We can't beat the Jets D, especially with Revis, by being one-dimensional. That plays right into the hands of NY's defense.

Regardless, I see this game as a dogfight, and I think the Steelers will come out on top. :tt:

TRH
09-14-2012, 10:10 AM
That said, I'm sick and absolute TIRED of this defensive line not getting a pass rush. It seemed for most of the night, we tried to bring pressure right up the gut and time and time again, our defensive lineman got stone-walled (that's being nice. We seemed to play with no fire!) and Lawrence Timmons CONTINUED to play out of position while Woodley barely did much of anything. I'm willing to give Woodley the benefit of the doubt. Worlids or Carter is NO threat to an offensive tackle when it comes to the outside rush. All they did was neutralize Woodley and spread our 43 out.

How about not getting turnovers as well? That can be said for the ENTIRE defensive unit. I've never...in my life...seen a defense...that has so much potential, get NOTHING for turnovers. Its sickening. INT's aside (which we don't get either)...lets talk fumbles. I was watching NE's defense closely, and it appeared they were trying to "strip" the ball on nearly every opponent possession, almost relentlessly. I don't even see that here. At All. Its mind-boggling.

Also....im certainly not a "Woodley hater" or anything.....but is there 2 more overpaid LB's in the league than Timmons & Woodley? We're certainly not getting payback for those 2 huge, giant contracts. For what?
Woodley disappears for quarters at a time...at times, for entire games. And Timmons, i don't even know what to say. Once he signed the big contract, he's been alive out there, but is certainly no game-changer or elite LB. He actually played better before signing the big one. Very frustrating.

Darkstorm05
09-14-2012, 10:25 AM
How about not getting turnovers as well? That can be said for the ENTIRE defensive unit. I've never...in my life...seen a defense...that has so much potential, get NOTHING for turnovers. Its sickening.

Lack of pressure doesn't help. If we had a strong pass rush making QBs try to force the ball out quick, we'd naturally see an increase in INTs as a result. When a QB has all day to pass, he's not likely to make so many stupid forced throws.

Stairway to 7
09-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Woodley needs to SHUT UP and SHOW UP instead. He was awful last week.

Lamar don't talk, gimme 2 sacks, get into Sanchez's face, force a fumble, play like you can...

Bayz101
09-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Woodley needs to SHUT UP and SHOW UP instead. He was awful last week.

Lamar don't talk, gimme 2 sacks, get into Sanchez's face, force a fumble, play like you can...

Lebeau rarely sent him after the QB. In fact, his big ass was in coverage most of the night. Hopefully that changes, and we'll see him getting in the QB's face.

steelfury02
09-14-2012, 11:15 AM
after re-watching the first half of the Broncos game, when our D arguably played its best, it is not a stretch to say that Woodley got gassed pretty quickly. Having to drop into any coverage for any amount of time really throws his pass rush off.

Sanchez is easily rattled. If it were me, I'd send the best pass rusher at him all day long. The best ones can still get to the QB in spite of teams targeting them with intent to neutralize

I'll look no farther than last night's Green Bay game. Dom Capers had Matthews lining up all over the place to MAKE him a factor. I'm not saying Woodley won't or can't rise to the challenge - but with injuries, we need this guy to be a factor. I will argue that he is not as fast off the ball as he needs to be based off of what I'm seeing in other play makers. I love Woodley, but we need this D to start gaining some confidence sooner rather than later. More leaders need to emerge by example and NOW. Just my opinion.

TRH
09-14-2012, 01:01 PM
after re-watching the first half of the Broncos game, when our D arguably played its best, it is not a stretch to say that Woodley got gassed pretty quickly. Having to drop into any coverage for any amount of time really throws his pass rush off.

Sanchez is easily rattled. If it were me, I'd send the best pass rusher at him all day long. The best ones can still get to the QB in spite of teams targeting them with intent to neutralize

I'll look no farther than last night's Green Bay game. Dom Capers had Matthews lining up all over the place to MAKE him a factor. I'm not saying Woodley won't or can't rise to the challenge - but with injuries, we need this guy to be a factor. I will argue that he is not as fast off the ball as he needs to be based off of what I'm seeing in other play makers. I love Woodley, but we need this D to start gaining some confidence sooner rather than later. More leaders need to emerge by example and NOW. Just my opinion.

That sounds good and like it would work MUCH better......but LeBeau better start coming up with those kinds of changes or we're going to get torched. I hate to call him a 'one-trick pony', but our defense is starting to look eerily predictable.
#2, the troops out there need to be rallied up much better than they have been and breathing fire out there if they want to have any kind of success in this league this year. They look like half dead-men walking last week and half as if they just crawled out of bed.
If anyone watched the Packers game last night, especially Clay Mathews, most of them looked like they were breathing fire out there and were jumping around, high-fiving, growling, etc, etc, etc. We didn't have ANY of that and need it very, very badly. Think Joey Porter would have put up with this nonsense? He'd be whipping some a** out there on the field (and i'm not talking about the opponents.......)

steelfury02
09-14-2012, 01:13 PM
if we're talking the intangibles of leaders on the defensive side of the ball, getting fired up would certainly not be a negative - I think we just don't have those types of personalities on defense. It seems like the most we get is a pat on the helmet, raising a fist in the air by Troy, or an occasional (an increasing rarity it seems) kick or foot squash

I admire the lead by example, but also agree with you that they just didn't have a spark. I think the no-huddle really gased them, at it seemed like they were just waiting to make the tackle after the ball was caught. Its hard to be lightning fast and hard hitting against a no-huddle, a lot of the times defenses are reacting (and those are the times in the NFL now) to it.

I don't think Troy diving over the line alone is going to stop high flying offenses. It is a harsh reality, but the good to elite WR just have that edge. There are far more opportunities to burn the blitz than there are to smash a high-octane O.

teegre
09-14-2012, 01:19 PM
If anyone watched the Packers game last night, especially Clay Mathews, most of them looked like they were breathing fire out there and were jumping around, high-fiving, growling, etc, etc, etc. We didn't have ANY of that and need it very, very badly. Think Joey Porter would have put up with this nonsense? He'd be whipping some a** out there on the field (and i'm not talking about the opponents.......)

Joey Porter... Greg Lloyd... Jack Lambert.  

The Steelers need in of those types of vocal leaders.  

steelfury02
09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
I noticed Foote was getting pretty fired up, but its hard not to look at him as a fill-in for the next big thing - not downing Foote, cause I thought he played really well.

I'm not in their locker room or their huddle, so I really just don't know to be honest - I think this is just an uncertain time right now where I don't find myself saying "we're gonna' punch them in the mouth" - I feel as if I'm waiting for the next bad piece of news.

This injury curse has GOT to be over sometime soon - I think that is what is getting me down a little. I feel like just as they find some solutions, another step back somewhere else.

C'mon Jabu!

SquirrelHillSteelNut
09-16-2012, 09:00 PM
LaMarr had a nice sack on Sanchez to back up his claim today. go D!!!:tt02:

SteelCity4Life
09-16-2012, 09:52 PM
LaMarr had a nice sack on Sanchez to back up his claim today. go D!!!:tt02:

I saw that coming. I was like "YESSSSS!"

Absolutely beautiful and I believe it was one of only 2-3 sacks.

Still, loved it! :tt03:

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 01:14 AM
I saw that coming. I was like "YESSSSS!"

Absolutely beautiful and I believe it was one of only 2-3 sacks.

Still, loved it! :tt03:

Steelers had two sacks, Woodley had one and Heyward had the other one.

teegre
09-17-2012, 02:22 AM
I noticed that they were moving Woodley around a lot more (stunts, to get him as the inside rusher).  Much more effective than having him "solely" line up as an edge rusher... or, worse, dropping him into coverage.  

While only two sacks, there was plenty of pressure. Sanchez did not have much time nor did he look comfortable.

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 02:43 AM
I noticed that they were moving Woodley around a lot more (stunts, to get him as the inside rusher).  Much more effective than having him "solely" line up as an edge rusher... or, worse, dropping him into coverage.  

While only two sacks, there was plenty of pressure. Sanchez did not have much time nor did he look comfortable.

yes, moving Woodley around was a great adjustment by LeBeau.

and you're absolutely right, there was plenty of pressure and Sanchez never plays well when there are defenders in his face.

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/152098181.jpg?w=250

Edman
09-17-2012, 06:50 AM
Pressure is ultimately more important than Sacks. The rest of the game Sanchez had dudes in his face on every play. He wasn't comfortable. The fact that Lebeau smartly dumped the Passive Zone helped out too. The Secondary locked down the Jets Recievers.