PDA

View Full Version : Two tight end set

siss
07-31-2006, 10:45 PM
Can one of you smart, manly gentalmen explain the two tight end set to little ol'me. How would it benefit our offence. I know we used it a little bit last year. Do we want this? Thanks in advance.

BlackNGold203
07-31-2006, 11:04 PM
A 2 tight end set places 2 tightends on the line along with the 5 offensive linemen...

The seven big bodies can effectively push back the defense..especially in short yardage situations....

Hope that helps....:smile:

tony hipchest
07-31-2006, 11:12 PM
just watch what dallas and new england do this season. you isolate a t.e. like b. watson or whitten on either a slower linebacker or a safety who gives up 50 pounds in one on one coverage. you have a disting=ct mismach just about every time you line up in this formation. the 49ers will use this with v. davis and e. johnson.

if you face a heavy defense built to stop the power running game you got an edge. if you face a lighter secondary built to stop the pass you have an edge. i posted a very well written article by pat kirwan that goes further into depth explaining why we will be seeing more of the 2 te set in years to come. ill try to find a link.

found it:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7303&highlight=kirwan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9473554

DiggetyDank
08-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Kick ass, Tony. You really know your stuff.

With a 2-TE set there's no FB, right? Or is there?

Haiku_Dirtt
08-01-2006, 05:02 PM
just watch what dallas and new england do this season. you isolate a t.e. like b. watson or whitten on either a slower linebacker or a safety who gives up 50 pounds in one on one coverage. you have a disting=ct mismach just about every time you line up in this formation. the 49ers will use this with v. davis and e. johnson.

if you face a heavy defense built to stop the power running game you got an edge. if you face a lighter secondary built to stop the pass you have an edge. i posted a very well written article by pat kirwan that goes further into depth explaining why we will be seeing more of the 2 te set in years to come. ill try to find a link.

found it:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7303&highlight=kirwan

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9473554

Great read. Thank ya.

ARKIESTEEL
08-01-2006, 05:44 PM
I think if you want to see a play where we had a 2 tight end set go look at The Bus's fumble in Indy last year. I am pretty sure they was in a 2 TE set then. Does anyone recall for sure?

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Everytime I hear about the Bettis fumble I can't help but think about this guy.......http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2295603

We were in a 2 TE set during "the fumble". First and 10 on the GL we normally are.

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Kick ass, Tony. You really know your stuff.

With a 2-TE set there's no FB, right? Or is there?thanks diggety but really its pat kirwan who knows his stuff. i try to listen to his show on sirius radio as much as possible and read his columns religiously at nfl.com for atleast 2 years. everything ive learned about the business aspect of the game has been from him. he pretty much knows all aspects of the game, from x's and o's and personnel, to contracts and signing bonuses.

a 2 te set in goaline formations usually has a fullback and wr playing close to the line. but you can have a 2te set on 3rd and 4 with 2 wr and a lone back set. from this you could go deep to the wr, run a seam pattern with a heath miller type te and keep the other in to block, hand off to willie parker, or do a little swing pass or dump off to parker. if both tight ends are receiving threats the defense has to honor this and keep atleast 1 cb on each wr.

what the 2 te se is gonna do for dallas is create alot of single coverage on t.o. if not, whitten will eat people alive down the middle.

the colts had a real explosive lineup when they had r. wayne and m. harrison as the wrs, pollard and clark as the 2 te's and e. james as the lone set back.

ARKIESTEEL
08-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Dont we set a few screens out of this set? Maybe ben could sale TO his bike:dang:

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Dont we set a few screens out of this set? Maybe ben could sale TO his bike:dang:its a great set to run a screen. you can have heath, tuman and ward out as blockers on one side and get willie the ball out in space. if the defense is anticipating this (or a simple run to that side) you can have s. holmes out wide on the opposite side 1 on 1 and rely on his speed to beat the defender deep.

siss
08-01-2006, 06:21 PM
From now on, when I have a football question I will go straight to Tony! He's the man!

SteelCzar76
08-01-2006, 06:27 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest]just watch what dallas and new england do this season. you isolate a t.e. like b. watson or whitten on either a slower linebacker or a safety who gives up 50 pounds in one on one coverage. you have a disting=ct mismach just about every time you line up in this formation. the 49ers will use this with v. davis and e. johnson.

Your right Tone,.. the two tight end formation can be very problematic for opposing defenses,....especially if one of the TE's is athletic with decent speed. At the the pro level it's a game of mismatches and exploiting weaknesses. Because let's face ,....everybody's got talent to varying degree's on the their squad.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold"

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=tony hipchest]

Your right Tone,.. the two tight end formation can be very problematic for opposing defenses,....especially if one of the TE's is athletic with decent speed. At the the pro level it's a game of mismatches and exploiting weaknesses. Because let's face ,....everybody's got talent to varaying degree's on the their squad.

"Hail Caesar,....Hail the Black and Gold" i gotta admit, during the draft i scoffed dallas and patriots drafting a t.e. so early when they seemed so set at the position, and i definitely scratched my head when the steelers took one. i didnt really understand it until i saw kirwan break it down. then you look at the coaches who went this route and you realize they are no slouches and then it all became crystal clear. the league is an ever evolving league and what may have worked last year isnt guranteed to work this year. its the coaches who stay ahead of the curve that remain successful. cowher got bit in 2003 trying to stay ahead of the curve without the proper personnel in place (hence jeromes demotion for a marshal faulk like zeroue)

now the pats and cowboys definitely seem to have the better te's than who the steelers drafted (i think they took the longhorns, and notre dames te's) but lets see what the perdue guy gots. tuman has proven he can catch a ball too. we should be good in this area and more than capable in staying ahead of the curve without giving up on any of our run blocking. which as kirwan joked about is a good reason to hand us the 41 sb trophy now.

BBC
08-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Here is a very good article on what two TE sets do (oddly enough, also by Kirwan).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9444769

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Here is a very good article on what two TE sets do (oddly enough, also by Kirwan).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9444769
lol. not oddly enough. its the same article. http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=kirwan

(great article though - i shoulda provided a direct link)

BBC
08-01-2006, 07:28 PM
lol. not oddly enough. its the same article. http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ghlight=kirwan

(great article though - i shoulda provided a direct link)

My mistake, thought that the two links you posted in your other post were the same story.

You know it's a good read when people still remember it months later.

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 07:41 PM
My mistake, thought that the two links you posted in your other post were the same story.

You know it's a good read when people still remember it months later.no problem. this is a great topic for discussion and had me hyped for the season in may!

SteelerzGirl
08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Can one of you smart, manly gentalmen explain the two tight end set to little ol'me. How would it benefit our offence. I know we used it a little bit last year. Do we want this? Thanks in advance.

Dang, siss! When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about, well, "tight ends." :dang: You threw me off, sister...(lol). :smile:

siss
08-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Dang, siss! When I opened this thread, I thought it was going to be about, well, "tight ends." :dang: You threw me off, sister...(lol). :smile:

LOL! I know I suprise myself sometimes too! Besides that im tired of being accused of not talking about football. But they guys here know what there talking about.