PDA

View Full Version : Report: Harrison, Polamalu are out

MACH1
09-15-2012, 03:50 AM
For the first time in six years, the Steelers won't have either of their NFL Defensive Players of the Year in the starting lineup.

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac, linebacker James Harrison (knee) and safety Troy Polamalu (calf) won't play Sunday against the New York Jets. Harrison and Polamalu are officially listed as questionable, but they haven't practiced all week.

The Steelers are fortunate that they have capable backups in linebacker Chris Carter and safety Ryan Mundy. What Pittsburgh loses is experience and playmaking ability.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/63265/report-harrison-polamalu-are-out

:banging:

pete74
09-15-2012, 04:08 AM
wow does that suck

Stairway to 7
09-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Harrison is getting to the point where he's a waste of time now. I said he won't be back until after the bye week and he won't be, it looks to me like he can't even practice.

Galax Steeler
09-15-2012, 06:30 AM
This really sucks we need them in the lineup but on the other hand the Jets have some good players out as well.

FrancoLambert
09-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Ryan Mundy is a capable backup??? :rofl:
Where's the proof?

SteelCurtain5643
09-15-2012, 11:35 AM
Polamalu isnt officially out yet, he said he feels good...Harrison on the other hand looks like he is

ricardisimo
09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Ryan Mundy is a capable backup??? :rofl:
Where's the proof?
Huh? Mundy's quite good. I think he's actually a more consistent tackler than Troy, for starters. What do you mean by "proof"? His stats are good for a backup, and he doesn't get fooled.

StainlessStill
09-15-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh boy.

Dustin Keller and Revis out for the Jets as well. Atleast something balanced out if you want to call it that.

Still, these injuries are ridiculous now. A curse only a few teams could shake. Hopefully, we can continue to be one of them....

Steelerfreak58
09-15-2012, 11:56 AM
Mundy is pretty damn good. The fact of the matter is we are used to having TROY P in there and how many other Safeties are like Troy the only real one that has been around is Reed. Those two guys are on a completely different level. You expect a back up to come in and be a game changer like Troy? AINT GONNA HAPPEN...

Troy's play style and aggressive tendencies are taking a toll on his body.

Some Steeler "fans" have some serious blinders on.

GoFor7
09-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Maybe this year the early bye is a good thing.

Steelerfreak58
09-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe this year the early bye is a good thing.

Couldn't hurt...

tanda10506
09-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Damn, nobody liked Mundy last year, what did he do week 1 to change everybody's mind?

GoFor7
09-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Damn, nobody liked Mundy last year, what did he do week 1 to change everybody's mind?

While Mundy is no pro-bowler, neither loss can be blamed squarely on him.

StainlessStill
09-15-2012, 01:04 PM
Mundy is what he is. An average backup at best. Sure, he can be used as a body and run behind LeBeau's watered down scheme all day long while he keeps the spot warm for Troy & Clark, but that's as far as it'll go. If he was as good as what Freak stated, then he wouldn't have been the backup here for so long now. Teams would have been callin' & he would of asked for his release to START elsewhere.

I appreciate Mundy. He steps in when called upon, but he's no playmaker. Just an invisible body trying to keep things in straight when the big boys return. A career backup. Nothing more, nothing less.

mikegrimey
09-15-2012, 01:46 PM
I can't think of any team off the top of my head that has a great back up at safety. Troy, if he's out, is a huge loss for us, we certainly struggled in 09 when he was oft-injured and out. It's looking more and more like we'll need Ben and the offense to come through big time this year

Buddha Bus
09-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Harrison is getting to the point where he's a waste of time now. I said he won't be back until after the bye week and he won't be, it looks to me like he can't even practice.

You'd better get some barbecue sauce for those words because you'll be eating them once Harrison is healthy and on the field destroying opponents. He always gives 110% on the field no matter what and he will once once he's ready to play.

I'm definitely concerned about this lingering knee issue, but I'm not ready to throw him on the trash heap yet.

I'd rather have him return after the bye week healthy and able to play at a high level for the rest of the year, than have him come back this week and re-injure himself and lose him for the rest of the year. It's a long season.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Thats a lot of money sitting on the bench, week in and week out.

With Troy out at least the D Backs will stay back and cover there guys without roaming wherever they feel like.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Buddha:

A player can give 1000%, what good is it when he is on the sideline? Its not so much the player as much as the predicament we are placed in. Same goes with Troy.
The Steelers F'ed this up, Harrison's knee should've been dealt with before. Taking the wait and see approach with a player that goes full bore all the time. They should've fixed it long ago before 2 weeks to go in preseaon.

Buddha Bus
09-15-2012, 03:47 PM
Buddha:

A player can give 1000%, what good is it when he is on the sideline? Its not so much the player as much as the predicament we are placed in. Same goes with Troy.
The Steelers F'ed this up, Harrison's knee should've been dealt with before. Taking the wait and see approach with a player that goes full bore all the time. They should've fixed it long ago before 2 weeks to go in preseaon.

I agree that they should have addressed it sooner, but what can we do now? Cut Harrison? That would be insane. For better or for worse, he's on the team and our best option. I certainly haven't seen Worilds or Carter making him an afterthought.

He'll be back by the week after the bye and he'll be the same beast on the field.

I guess we could always bring back the future Hall of Famer and currently unemployed Thaddeus Gibson. :hunch:

tanda10506
09-15-2012, 03:54 PM
While Mundy is no pro-bowler, neither loss can be blamed squarely on him.

I completely agree. I'm still pretty neutral about Mundy. I was just surprised to see others saying they thought he was good.

FrancoLambert
09-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Huh? Mundy's quite good. I think he's actually a more consistent tackler than Troy, for starters. What do you mean by "proof"? His stats are good for a backup, and he doesn't get fooled.

The proof would be big plays as a safety, not tackles.

Fire Haley
09-15-2012, 04:54 PM
Screw the defense, we can't count on them to win any games, we need 40 pts from Ben

Hawaii 5-0
09-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Screw the defense, we can't count on them to win any games, we need 40 pts from Ben

the score was 24-19 with 3 minutes left. all we would have needed is a TD and 25 points to beat Denver...

tanda10506
09-15-2012, 06:02 PM

That's exaggerated, but that is how we will win games this year. The defense isn't terrible, they will likely still dominate weak teams (occasionally playing down to some) and play decent against better teams, but they won't win games for us like in 2010 and 2008. With some of our high draft pick defenders turning out to be "mediocre" (Hood, McClendon, maybe Timmons) and our veterans getting close to retirement, Ben will have to completely carry this team for years or else there will be some dark ages IMO. I am very confident that he can do it, although his inability to win the game on the final drive his last few chances has me just a bit worried.

GoFor7
09-15-2012, 06:10 PM
Actually the score was 25-19 before the pick-six.

I don't know if the Steelers' defense will be as bad as say the Patriots' defense was last year, but I can see the offense needing at least 24 points to win most games.

Remember in the latter part of the 70's dynasty the Steel Curtain wasn't as good. Bradshaw ended up throwing more and the Steelers were scoring more points to win games. Perhaps history is repeating itself.

Luckily the Steelers may catch a break this week as the Jets best player on defense is out and Sanchez's safety valve in Keller is out.

tony hipchest
09-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Remember in the latter part of the 70's dynasty the Steel Curtain wasn't as good. Bradshaw ended up throwing more and the Steelers were scoring more points to win games. Perhaps history is repeating itself.

.perhaps it is.

no team is as good when the NFL makes rules specifically targeting said team from playing a physical brand of football they are accustomed to.

i think it was more bradshaw and the offense reaching their prime as opposed to declining defensive talent.

AgentGold007
09-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Who knows, maybe Mundy is better suited to backup Troy where he can play closer to the line of scrimmage, than he is backing up Clark where he has to cover the deep routes. Unless they decide to play Clark in Troy's spot and leave Mundy at the free safety.

Hawaii 5-0
09-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Actually the score was 25-19 before the pick-six.

okay, so all we needed was a TD and XP to win the game.

needing 26 points is a lot different than saying we need the offense to score 40 points...

tanda10506
09-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Ben and maybe Dwyer. If the O line can do some decent run blocking Dwyer can run. They showed us last game that they will run and run and run even if it doesn't work, so I would imagine we would see at least as much as we saw against Denver IF Dwyer and the O line are successful. Ben is the obvious one though. The defense has been lackluster for 18 games straight and I don't see anything changing for the better since Polamalu is now injured, so Ben plays excellent or we lose, therefore he will have the biggest impact, at least that's the way I look at it.

ricardisimo
09-16-2012, 01:56 AM
The proof would be big plays as a safety, not tackles.
Tackles are big plays in my book.

wera176
09-16-2012, 11:56 AM
"The defense has been lackluster for 18 games straight ..."

Wow, we have some high standards around here... :doh:

12-4 season with the statistically top defense in the NFL, lackluster? Give all the disclaimers you want about lacking splash plays or turnovers and ease of schedule, whatever, that was still a pretty darn good defense last year. Not 1976, 2008 or 2010 level but still one of the best in the NFL in 2011...

GoFor7
09-16-2012, 12:35 PM
okay, so all we needed was a TD and XP to win the game.

needing 26 points is a lot different than saying we need the offense to score 40 points...

Who said they needed 40 points a game?

Goldsteel86
09-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I thought Polamalu was still questionable and Harrison was ruled out until at least after the Bye Week? :confused: :scratchchin:

casteeler
09-16-2012, 01:28 PM
The pass defense was garbage last week can't imagine this week being much better. I really hope the Steelers CBs can prove me wrong but I don't think they are "starter" quality and that includes Taylor but more directed to Lewis and Allen. The Steelers might have to look into a trade to acquire a reliable CB

zcoop
09-16-2012, 01:38 PM
"The defense has been lackluster for 18 games straight ..."

Wow, we have some high standards around here... :doh:

12-4 season with the statistically top defense in the NFL, lackluster? Give all the disclaimers you want about lacking splash plays or turnovers and ease of schedule, whatever, that was still a pretty darn good defense last year. Not 1976, 2008 or 2010 level but still one of the best in the NFL in 2011...

Shut yo mouth!, you making too much sense. :chuckle: Ditto!

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 10:37 PM
No Harrison? No Polamalu? No problems for Steelers

BY F. DALE LOLLEY

PITTSBURGH – Missing former NFL defensive players of the year Troy Polamalu and James Harrison for their game against the New York Jets, the Steelers felt their best defense was a good offense.

That proved to be the case as Pittsburgh played keep away throughout the second half of Sunday’s game at Heinz Field, grounding the Jets in a 27-10 victory.

Ben Roethlisberger completed 24 of 31 passes for 275 yards and two touchdowns, and his counterpart, Mark Sanchez, was just 10 of 27 for 138 yards and a score. The Steelers won their 10th consecutive home opener, the longest current streak in the NFL.

“It was an appropriate response to last week’s performance,” said head coach Mike Tomlin, referring to the Steelers’ 31-19 loss at Denver to open the regular season.

“We talked openly about it this week. That’s what good football teams do in the National Football League. They might not always be perfect, but they respond.”

With the win, the Steelers (1-1), who outgained the Jets, 331-219, find themselves tied with Baltimore and Cincinnati atop the AFC North standings. Baltimore lost at Philadelphia, while Cincinnati slipped past Cleveland at home.

“You don’t want to have back-to-back losses in this league, especially with Baltimore losing,” said Steelers linebacker Larry Foote. “Things are banged up in our division. You always want to win at home, and we did that.” Not that the Jets (1-1) made it easy – at least early on.

Sanchez threw a 14-yard touchdown pass to former Steelers star Santonio Holmes on New York’s opening possession, then led the Jets on a 12-play field goal drive the second time they had the ball to put New York ahead, 10-6, midway through the second quarter.

But the Steelers, who had settled for a pair of 45-yard field goals by Shaun Suisham to that point, didn’t allow another score after that and controlled the game with their offense taking large chunks of time off the clock.

“We couldn’t get off the field on third down and we couldn’t stay on the field on third down,” said Jets head coach Rex Ryan. “(Roethlisberger) had a 125 (passer) rating and over 36 minutes with time of possession. ... I thought the game started off well; I knew it was going to be a tough game, but the thirdand- 16 killed us. That was a back-breaker.”

That play came early in the third quarter with the Steelers leading 13-10 after Roethlisberger threw a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Heath Miller at the end of the first half.

Facing third-and-16 from the New York 37, Roethlisberger avoided the Jets blitz, stepped up in the pocket and lofted a high-arcing pass toward Mike Wallace in the front corner of the end zone.

Wallace, who was shadowed by cornerback Antonio Cromartie throughout the game, made an adjustment and came back for the ball, which was slightly underthrown. He leaped in the air and kept both feet in bounds as Cromartie pushed him to the ground.

“I knew Mike was streaking down the field one-onone,” said Roethlisberger. “I knew they were running next to each other. I wanted to throw it up and let my guy make a play. You figure if it is intercepted, it is going to be a touchback, or Mike tackles them and it ends up as good as a punt.”

Instead, the Steelers took a 20-10 lead.

The Steelers then put the Jets away in the fourth quarter with a 14-play, 75-yard drive that took 10:13 off the clock and ended with a 2-yard touchdown run by Issac Redman.

Pittsburgh’s rushing attack, which had been bottled up to that point, gained 36 yards on eight attempts as Redman and Jonathan Dwyer took turns battering New York’s defensive front.

“We thought going into the game that we could have some success on the edge, but that didn’t work out,” said Steelers offensive tackle Max Starks of the Steelers, who finished with 66 yards rushing. “But we adjusted at halftime and started running the ball right at them.”

That allowed a defense missing two of its biggest stars to stand and watch on the sideline.

“We’re at our best when we’re on our bench,” said Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel. “We’ll take that all day. They had some big drives in each quarter. I’m proud of those guys. They’re playing good, and I think we’re running the ball fairly effectively, and Ben made some magical things happen. He got out of some jams like only Ben does. He’s a great player, and it was a good team win.”

Odds and end zones

LaMarr Woodley and Cameron Heyward recorded sacks for the Steelers. ... Safety Ryan Clark, who sat out against Denver, led the Steelers with eight tackles. ... Holmes finished with three receptions for 28 yards, despite being thrown at 11 times. He did draw four penalties on Pittsburgh cornerbacks for defensive holding or pass interference. ... Roethlisberger joined Terry Bradshaw as the second Steelers player to surpass 27,000 yards passing on his TD pass to Wallace. Roethlisberger now has 27,099 career yards. ... Wallace finished with five receptions for 74 yards, while Antonio Brown had seven for 79.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sports11/09-17-2012-Steelers-Jets