PDA

View Full Version : Ike sucks

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Great shut down corner. You guys can keep defending him all you want. Sh!t A$$ game last week, now today. 3 games in a row he keeps getting beat and little slants.

Fire Arians
09-16-2012, 03:46 PM
yeah, i said it. he single handedly lost the denver playoff game last year, made D. thomas look like a pro bowler again last week, and now my patience for him is just about gone.

casteeler
09-16-2012, 03:47 PM
The Steelers have to go out and pick up 2 CBs and very soon! The fans on this forum cannot dispute how horrible the DBs are, the Steelers won't be able to beat the Brown with these guys

casteeler
09-16-2012, 03:48 PM
I've been screaming about this issue for 2 seasons

OX1947
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM
The Steelers have to go out and pick up 2 CBs and very soon! The fans on this forum cannot dispute how horrible the DBs are, the Steelers won't be able to beat the Brown with these guys

You and I have a better chance at tag teaming Jennifer Aniston tomorrow then a team has in getting 2 corners to cover their horrid ones in week 2 of a season.

Millers the sh!t
09-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Definitely sucks.. way overrated on this board

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 04:04 PM
It continues.. So Ike just want talk after the game, or shed a little tear. Here we go again.

AndyWitmyer
09-16-2012, 04:07 PM
While the offense isn't looking terribly great, they're not what would describe as bad - they're playing about as I would have expected, considering all of the changes this season.

But the D is as flat as it gets. It feels like the NFL has just figured us out, completely. Ike is just one of many issues here. We're not going to be able to win games without a full team effort.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Jets Oline is pushing us back to the Marriott for dinner.

PhantomJB93
09-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Polamalu and Harrison being out doesn't help anything, but man even the guys we do have just looked so awful so far this season. It's not just Ike, the front 7 looks useless right now too. Lewis, Allen, and Brown all look like none of them are ready to step in and contribute. Letting Gay go was a mistake, he was as bad as advertised for several years but he finally truly put it together the last two seasons and I think his presence was undervalued to this unit.

The offense isn't great either but it's really the defense as a whole that is the weakness of this team right now.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Ben needs to take off Ashleys thong too. QB slide, come on.

Ikes coverage is not because of harrison or troy. Ike is still the shut down corner on the team?

AndyWitmyer
09-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Letting Gay go was a mistake, he was as bad as advertised for several years but he finally truly put it together the last two seasons and I think his presence was undervalued to this unit..

I was just about to make the same argument, almost verbatim, but I thought people would say I was an idiot - but for the record, I completely agree!

Darkstorm05
09-16-2012, 06:59 PM
I sometimes tell the TV Ike sucks...but really, I think he's just average for the league. I expect he'd be the #2 guy on half the teams in the NFL. IMO, he's highly overpaid, but we had no better options to keep him from price gouging us.

As for Gay, I'm glad he's gone. Managing to finally have a season were he didn't single handedly lose us a game doesn't make him a solid back by any stretch. He was #2 to Ike, and Ike is #2 to most any starter in the league.

steelfury02
09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
Ike has had some WTF moments, and actually I'm getting more angry about some of his bonehead penalties as of late than anything (not counting the awful scab refs terrible calls)

if a good to elite WR gives him a double move in space, he's screwed, as most CBs would be - WRs just have a huge advantage - I didn't want to believe that until recently - it really is ridiculous

tony hipchest
09-16-2012, 08:02 PM
this thread sucks.

atleast ike didnt sit out with a hold out or concussion like that little bitch revis.

namdi asomugha got burnt today for a TD. i guess he sucks as well? :jerkit:

the jets leading receiver was some no-name scrub j. kerley who had 2 catches and 67 yds. Santonio holmes had 3 catches for 28 yards and a td. sanchez wen almost 2 hours and 30 minutes in real time where he only completed a ball to a wr four times.

you clowns kill me. :party:

meanfish
09-16-2012, 08:14 PM
You and I have a better chance at tag teaming Jennifer Aniston tomorrow then a team has in getting 2 corners to cover their horrid ones in week 2 of a season.

Sorry you kids couldn't make it. Jen and I hooked up after the Steeler game. She was almost as good as the win!! :tt02:

casteeler
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM

So your sayin' theres a chance

casteeler
09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
this thread sucks.

atleast ike didnt sit out with a hold out or concussion like that little bitch revis.

the jets leading receiver was some no-name scrub j. kerley who had 2 catches and 67 yds. Santonio holmes had 3 catches for 28 yards and a td. sanchez wen almost 2 hours and 30 minutes in real time where he only completed a ball to a wr four times.

Sanchez folded under pressure, you thinking the Steelers CBs are any good is clownish

lotas
09-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Agreed, Tony.

Do you really expect a CB to never get beat? Like aforementioned, Asomugha got beat and got a PI penalty against Bal (at least 1 that I saw, maybe more), so what, he sucks? CB's have one of the toughest jobs, they make one hesitation or one wrong move and they get smoked.

Look at the level Ike was playing at towards the end of the game. He had Santonio furious, frustrated as hell because he was all over him and he couldn't catch a damn ball.

I don't think he's on the level of Revis and Asomugha, but the guy does a hell of a job 90% of the time.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I cant believe that people on this board are campaigning for William Gay. :doh: Probably the same guys posting how he sucked 2 years ago.

If Ike plays off you complain that he gives too much cusion............if he plays right in the shirt of the WR, you complain he takes stupid penalties. do us all a favor and go out for the highschool football team this year so you can try out the position for yourself.

CargoJon
09-16-2012, 08:29 PM
The game has been molded to make the job of the CB nearly impossible. If they so much as fart in the direction of a receiver, there is a PI flag thrown. Ike's PI flag today was terrible, he wasn't within 4 feet of the receiver at any time up until the ball arrived there.

austinfrench76
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Ije doesn't suck. Just sayin...

tony hipchest
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Sanchez folded under pressure, you thinking the Steelers CBs are any good is clownish

:nerd:

:scholar: clowns was probably too generous of a word. :propeller:

MasterOfPuppets
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
sanchez was 10 / 27 and you bitches are complaining about ? ......:noidea:

mikegrimey
09-16-2012, 08:44 PM
this thread sucks.

I'm a huge Taylor fan, but don't understand the pointless shot at Revis in this post. I doubt he volunteered to "sit out", and hes a cut above Taylor easily.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Shocking it took Tony this long to show up and go on the defensive.
Ike made a little known no name into a pretty good WR not to long ago.

How many penalties did he have today? Your showing the stats of the WR's how many yards did we hand them over is fine, but your leaving out the yardage he gave up on crappy coverage.

Sanchez went over 2 hours because he was over throwing, under throwing the WR's, being the typical QB he is.
That wasnt because of our shut down corner. Furthermore we are still stuck on the "bad game" theory? When do we get off it? Its been 3 straight piss poor games now.

Revis is a cut above Taylor? That is an understatement.

BTW, Joe Flacco is a POS cry baby, great game Joe, top 5 QB with a 66 rating.

jiminpa
09-16-2012, 08:57 PM
The first PI call came from Goodell. He phoned in and told his minions to call a bogus penalty, and since Harrison wasn't dressed they figured it would look bad to call it against him, so they flagged Ike for being in position.

tony hipchest
09-16-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm a huge Taylor fan, but don't understand the pointless shot at Revis in this post. I doubt he volunteered to "sit out", and hes a cut above Taylor easily.it was sarcasm for empahasis to clown these fools.

if revis were a steeler and gave up a TD in OT of a playoff game, they would say he sucks as well. theyre like the little kids who get punished and say their parents suck and they hate them, but they sure love thir x-box, the roof over their heads, and food on the table.

mikegrimey
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
it was sarcasm for empahasis to clown these fools.

if revis were a steeler and gave up a TD in OT of a playoff game, they would say he sucks as well. theyre like the little kids who get punished and say their parents suck and they hate them, but they sure love thir x-box, the roof over their heads, and food on the table.

Ah, I didn't detect the sarcasm then. Agreed on the criticism of Taylor, it's almost comical how fast people turned on him. Seems like a lot of people wanted him cut after the 1st quarter today, one poster even suggested we trade for 2 CBs immediately, haha

teegre
09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
I am assuming that the title of this thread is supposed to be read in a sarcastic tone... right?  

realdeal
09-16-2012, 09:18 PM
An overrated corner. Number two corner at best. Keenan Lewis is not having a "pro bowl" season like he predicted!! While we are at it, Troy is also overrated!!

jiminpa
09-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Ah, I didn't detect the sarcasm then. Agreed on the criticism of Taylor, it's almost comical how fast people turned on him. Seems like a lot of people wanted him cut after the 1st quarter today, one poster even suggested we trade for 2 CBs immediately, hahaThere are Steelers fans who hate Ike because all he does is shutdown the opponents best WR, and will magnify any mistake just for the chance to legitimize their hatred. Why do they hate him? because he can't catch a football. Yeah, that's a bonus, but they'd rather have a Chad Scott out there who gets beat every play, but if a ball was thrown so badly that it hit him in the hands while he was 20 yards behind his guy he caught it, so he was better than a CB who can actually cover receivers. I don't understand that, but then I don't drink a case of beer before I watch the game either.

cubanstogie
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
if Ike sucks so bad then who is getting credit for Dirty Sanchez's pathetic game. Steelers best two Defensive players gone. One of the PI penalties was a joke. I don't know what they were looking at. As much as most of us hate Santonio he smokes a lot of CB's. Pun intended. Ike was man to man with a great reciever and got caught a couple of times big deal. As long as he has a short memory not a big deal. Some of you guys need to have a short memory as well. A dominate win and people on the board still think the sky is falling.

StainlessStill
09-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I wish people would yap AFTER the game is over so these things don't occur (looking stupid.) After that TD Ike gave up, he stonewalled 'Tone all game long, including 2 huge pass-breakups one on one. Ike held his own (and owned) one of the best route running WR's in the league today.

casteeler
09-16-2012, 10:32 PM
:nerd:

:scholar: clowns was probably too generous of a word. :propeller:

Since you have 32,000 posts maybe your football IQ is just more advanced:hunch::

zcoop
09-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I wish people would yap AFTER the game is over so these things don't occur (looking stupid.) After that TD Ike gave up, he stonewalled 'Tone all game long, including 2 huge pass-breakups one on one. Ike held his own (and owned) one of the best route running WR's in the league today.

Agreed, Ike played a pretty good game against Holmes. He draws the opponent's best guy and he manned up. Way to go Ike, Kudos!

harrison'samonster
09-16-2012, 10:41 PM
Ike's pretty good. Let's keep him.

As another poster pointed out, he was covering Santonio Holmes, a WR who I wouldn't mind seeing back in a Steelers uniform. Some of the plays he's made over his career (including a great td reception to win a certain SB) lead me to believe he's a pretty good player.

desertsteel
09-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Great shut down corner. You guys can keep defending him all you want. Sh!t A$$ game last week, now today. 3 games in a row he keeps getting beat and little slants.
Really? He was on Holmes the ENTIRE game and he had three receptions for 28 yards, and held him to one catch for 3 yards in the second half. Yeah, that's terrible!

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Since you have 32,000 posts maybe your football IQ is just more advanced:hunch::

:iagree:

this thread sucks.

Bayz101
09-17-2012, 10:33 AM
:iagree:

this thread sucks.

+1 rep.

Millers the sh!t
09-17-2012, 10:46 AM
Really? He was on Holmes the ENTIRE game and he had three receptions for 28 yards, and held him to one catch for 3 yards in the second half. Yeah, that's terrible!

He sure did "hold" him to 3 catches for 28 yards,........ And a TD. He also "held" him to 3-4 legit penalties for 60 plus yards.... Pun intended. Gimmie a break guys..... Ikes ****ing up.Three games straight on bad levels. If he was such a shutdown corner he wouldn't have been targeted 15 times last night.

Bayz101
09-17-2012, 11:01 AM
He sure did "hold" him to 3 catches for 28 yards,........ And a TD. He also "held" him to 3-4 legit penalties for 60 plus yards.... Pun intended. Gimmie a break guys..... Ikes ****ing up.Three games straight on bad levels. If he was such a shutdown corner he wouldn't have been targeted 15 times last night.

Touchdown was on Clark, and he admitted it. Two of the PI penalties we're BULLSHIT and the other's had Santonio all over him just as much! Very few fans labeled him a shutdown corner, but only an idiot would call him a bad one. Even at this point in his career.

Taylor hasn't exactly had the benefit of a healthy defense surrounding him the past three games. Two games without Clark, arguably the best performer last week, and a game without Troy, arguably one of the greatest strong safeties of ALL TIME.

Bayz101
09-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Ike is an excellent player. Holmes chances of making ANY kind of impact IMMEDIATELY after Ike's name was announced over the microphone for a BULLSHIT call.

Darkstorm05
09-17-2012, 11:12 AM
As I said, I think Ike is OK. Not a super star, but solid. My question here is, who does everyone blame for the secondary? Everyone seems to agree our secondary is weak, but bashing any one player results in backlash.

So, if you personally feel our secondary sucks, can you elaborate on why?

casteeler
09-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Taylor played better in the second half but Sanchez had troubles because of the adjusted pass rush not because of excellent coverage. Let's remember that Mark Sanchez had a meltdown last year Against the Detroit Lions defense. QBs like Manning,Brady and Rodgers have had success in the past against the Steelers secondary (although it has changed slightly). I'm not sold on the CBs just because they shut down Mark Sanchez in half a game

Fire Arians
09-17-2012, 11:43 AM
Call me a hater, but he isn't off my hook yet. He made D. Thomas look like larry fitzgerald during the 2008 playoffs twice in a row. he did a pretty good job against holmes but let's wait before we get too excited, that was mark sanchez at qb there.

i know he isn't the worst out there, but i think the whole talk about him being a pro bowl snub is BS, he's not a pro bowl corner

Bayz101
09-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Call me a hater, but he isn't off my hook yet. He made D. Thomas look like larry fitzgerald during the 2008 playoffs twice in a row. he did a pretty good job against holmes but let's wait before we get too excited, that was mark sanchez at qb there.

i know he isn't the worst out there, but i think the whole talk about him being a pro bowl snub is BS, he's not a pro bowl corner

Demaryius Thomas was at Georgia Tech in '08. I'm assuming you mean last year, in which it was more a bad overall defensive gameplan against Tebow. Keep in mind that both times he did bad (Both Broncos games) he was without Clark, and that a majority of his PI calls we're bullshit.

Fire Arians
09-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Demaryius Thomas was at Georgia Tech in '08. I'm assuming you mean last year, in which it was more a bad overall defensive gameplan against Tebow. Keep in mind that both times he did bad (Both Broncos games) he was without Clark, and that a majority of his PI calls we're bullshit.

no i was saying ike made thomas look as beastly as fitz's 08' playoff run

teegre
09-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Touchdown was on Clark, and he admitted it. Two of the PI penalties we're BULLSHIT and the other's had Santonio all over him just as much! Very few fans labeled him a shutdown corner, but only an idiot would call him a bad one. Even at this point in his career.

Taylor hasn't exactly had the benefit of a healthy defense surrounding him the past three games. Two games without Clark, arguably the best performer last week, and a game without Troy, arguably one of the greatest strong safeties of ALL TIME.

Thank you. Clark ran forward... Ike allowed Santonio to go inside, assuming that Clark would be there... voila!!!... TD for Santonio, due to Clark playing out of position. [Very similar to the second Ravens game last year, when Will I am GAY got "burned" for the TD, when in actuality, Clark misplayed the pass.]

No Clark (who played well, despite the aforementioned gaffe).
No Troy.
No Harrison.
No pass-rush.
Horrible game-plan in the play-off loss.

I would say that Ike is doing well, considering those factors.

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 01:33 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Sept. 17, 2012

Taylor mum on penalties

Cornerback Ike Taylor was flagged for two pass interference penalties and television replays showed little or no contact between Taylor on both plays.

The first penalty came early on the Jets' only touchdown drive. The second came in the second half.

"Those guys have a difficult job as is," Taylor said. "I can't worry about what they call. I just have to play football."

Taylor was matched up with friend and former teammate Santonio Holmes the entire game. Holmes finished with three receptions for 28 yards and a touchdown, but he was held to one catch for 3 yards in the second half.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-running-game-remains-just-a-bit-out-of-step-653725/#ixzz26nCR8Bid

bornaSteelersfan
09-18-2012, 05:02 AM
I don't know where this dogging of Ike Taylor comes from. Ike was shadowing Holmes the entire game. He disrupted at least three passes and nearly had an interception. Sure he got called for pass interference, but that is how tight he was on his man. The only receiver Sanchez has that's worth a spit is Santonio which is why he got so many balls thrown his way, thus a couple of PI's. Holmes had one TD, but was completely shut down after that. Yes, Ike IS a shut down CB.

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 05:04 AM
I don't know where this dogging of Ike Taylor comes from. Ike was shadowing Holmes the entire game. He disrupted at least three passes and nearly had an interception. Sure he got called for pass interference, but that is how tight he was on his man. The only receiver Sanchez has that's worth a spit is Santonio which is why he got so many balls thrown his way, thus a couple of PI's. Holmes had one TD, but was completely shut down after that. Yes, Ike IS a shut down CB.

And the touchdown wasn't even Ike's fault. It was on Clark, and Clark admitted it.

Millers the sh!t
09-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Ike sucks...

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 08:08 AM
Ike sucks...

Excellent discussion point!

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Ed: Ike Taylor Led Revis & all CBs Last Year
SUNDAY, 16 SEPTEMBER 2012 12:37 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE
Good afternoon,
You won’t find a better day in Pittsburgh in September than the one we have here today, not unless you are looking for beach weather. Temp in thelow ‘70s, sunny, little breeze. Not a bad day at all for a home opening football game.
As you know, Darrelle Revis will not play today for the Jets. The cornerback from Aliquippa, who played at Pitt, might normally have played two or three years ago but the NFL’s crackdown on returning too quickly from concussions will keep him out.
But here’s something you may not know. Revis, who has made four Pro Bowls, was ranked second in the NFL last season defending the pass. You’ll never guess who was No. 1? That’s right, Ike Taylor. Don’t believe me? It’s right there in this week’s New York Jets press release.
The Jets site something that’s called “burn” statistics taken from a service known as StatsPass. Revis ranked second last season with a 40.4 percent burn percentage. That means receivers caught 40.4 percent of the passes when Revis was targeted for those passes. Taylor was nearly three percentage points better, at 37.5 percent, the lowest in the league last season.
Taylor also often covers the best opposing receiver, making his low burn count even more impressive.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118077-ed-ike-taylor-led-revis-a-all-cbs-last-year

jiminpa
09-18-2012, 08:30 AM
Ed: Ike Taylor Led Revis & all CBs Last Year
SUNDAY, 16 SEPTEMBER 2012 12:37 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE
Good afternoon,
You won’t find a better day in Pittsburgh in September than the one we have here today, not unless you are looking for beach weather. Temp in thelow ‘70s, sunny, little breeze. Not a bad day at all for a home opening football game.
As you know, Darrelle Revis will not play today for the Jets. The cornerback from Aliquippa, who played at Pitt, might normally have played two or three years ago but the NFL’s crackdown on returning too quickly from concussions will keep him out.
But here’s something you may not know. Revis, who has made four Pro Bowls, was ranked second in the NFL last season defending the pass. You’ll never guess who was No. 1? That’s right, Ike Taylor. Don’t believe me? It’s right there in this week’s New York Jets press release.
The Jets site something that’s called “burn” statistics taken from a service known as StatsPass. Revis ranked second last season with a 40.4 percent burn percentage. That means receivers caught 40.4 percent of the passes when Revis was targeted for those passes. Taylor was nearly three percentage points better, at 37.5 percent, the lowest in the league last season.
Taylor also often covers the best opposing receiver, making his low burn count even more impressive.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118077-ed-ike-taylor-led-revis-a-all-cbs-last-yearYeah, but how many interceptions did he get? [/satire]

TheDude
09-18-2012, 08:49 AM
The chemistry among our DBs is still taking shape IMO.
We talked about this in our latest podcast on RRP.
Knowing that R Clark would not play wk 1, had an impact on how we prepared during the preseason. Clark was on the field in the preseason on a limited basis.

That chemistry development was on full display during the play Bayz referenced...Clark bit on the play fake, he needed to cover Ike's inside shoulder. Since he bit on Sanchez's fake in the pocket, Clark was late and Tone was wide open.

Millers the sh!t
09-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Excellent discussion point!

Ain't really much to say here. He stunk up the joint badly the last three games we played. Then there were many games throughout the rest of last season I've shaken my head at him.

people will pull out the stat sheets to show how great he is, not putting into consideration, he played/s 6 games a season in a division with sub par to horrible qb's. People did the same with asomugha when he was a FA. Look at him now.... He's a flunky too.

Ikes gotten worst since he resigned.

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 01:13 PM
Ain't really much to say here. He stunk up the joint badly the last three games we played. Then there were many games throughout the rest of last season I've shaken my head at him.

people will pull out the stat sheets to show how great he is, not putting into consideration, he played/s 6 games a season in a division with sub par to horrible qb's. People did the same with asomugha when he was a FA. Look at him now.... He's a flunky too.

Ikes gotten worst since he resigned.

So, I should ignore the statistics and mark your opinion down as factual? I know that's not what your asking me to do, but i'm certainly not going to agree with it. Ike hasn't played a game with all of the regular starters since January, and he showed improvement with Clark in the back with him on Sunday. In fact, he shut Holmes DOWN.

Say what you want about the PI calls. They we're bullshit, and the referees have thrown 43 PI flags this year. That's the most since 2003.

Once Polamalu, Clark and him are all on defense and in sync, the pass-defense will be fine. You can say what you want about our competition last year, and this year, but not many QB's are better than Manning. Even at this point in his career. All competition may be inferior when you look at it that way, but it doesn't make it cake.

EDIT: And no. He had a bad game in Denver. That's it. He was great on Sunday, and the referees can shove their record 43 PI flags up their asses.

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm not saying he's a shut-down corner. Just giving him the credit he deserves.

BIGNASTY91
09-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm not saying he's a shut-down corner. Just giving him the credit he deserves.

:iagree: :drink:

Millers the sh!t
09-18-2012, 06:32 PM
So, I should ignore the statistics and mark your opinion down as factual? I know that's not what your asking me to do, but i'm certainly not going to agree with it. Ike hasn't played a game with all of the regular starters since January, and he showed improvement with Clark in the back with him on Sunday. In fact, he shut Holmes DOWN.

Say what you want about the PI calls. They we're bullshit, and the referees have thrown 43 PI flags this year. That's the most since 2003.

Once Polamalu, Clark and him are all on defense and in sync, the pass-defense will be fine. You can say what you want about our competition last year, and this year, but not many QB's are better than Manning. Even at this point in his career. All competition may be inferior when you look at it that way, but it doesn't make it cake.

EDIT: And no. He had a bad game in Denver. That's it. He was great on Sunday, and the referees can shove their record 43 PI flags up their asses.

He didn't shut nobody down, all the pass Interference calls were legit except the one where Clark broke Holmes. If Taylor wasn't hanging on Holmes back all night like a cape, then Holmes stats would have more completions and yards. Basically u should be Taking Holmes final stats and add all the PI penalty yards to it as well.

20 yards and a first Down is still the same 20 yards and a first down weather its from a completion or from a PI penalty because the corner has to hold you in order for you to not catch the ball.

I'm guessing after the last few games Taylor will be targeted heavily throughout this season. Maybe you haven't noticed his mediocrity because weve had weaker links in the DB positions.

I hope I'm wrong bayz and Ike has a pro bowl season. But I'm guessing well just get more of the same.

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 06:45 PM
He didn't shut nobody down, all the pass Interference calls were legit except the one where Clark broke Holmes. If Taylor wasn't hanging on Holmes back all night like a cape, then Holmes stats would have more completions and yards. Basically u should be Taking Holmes final stats and add all the PI penalty yards to it as well.

20 yards and a first Down is still the same 20 yards and a first down weather its from a completion or from a PI penalty because the corner has to hold you in order for you to not catch the ball.

I'm guessing after the last few games Taylor will be targeted heavily throughout this season. Maybe you haven't noticed his mediocrity because weve had weaker links in the DB positions.

I hope I'm wrong bayz and Ike has a pro bowl season. But I'm guessing well just get more of the same.

At the end of the day, Holmes had three catches for 28 yards, and the only touchdown he had wasn't Ike's fault.

And no. Some of PI calls we're complete bullshit. Holmes' hands we're all over him just as much, and the contact you seen that drew PI calls on Sunday are typically allowed ALL THE TIME under referees with half a brain. Holmes was complaining after EVERY play, and knowing that these referees can't make decisions for themselves you better know Holmes would get his call.

Look at how many PI calls have been made. There's no denying it. It's a lot of bullshit, and Ike was served a heaping load of it. I'm not calling him a shut-down corner, but he's a damn good one, and he deserves a lot of credit. He hasn't had a starting defense around him since last year.

bornaSteelersfan
09-18-2012, 11:55 PM
When will the NFL pay the real refs?! I am sick of the replacements! The real refs would consider half of those PI calls incidental contact. They don't even like to throw flags when the receiver is calling for it. Hell, I think a receiver waving his hands to ask for a flag should be called for unsportsmanlike conduct. The replacement refs are weak and scared. They need to chat for 5 to 10 minutes just to get a call right and they still mess it up. The commentators have been saying there are no glaring errors when there clearly are, but they don't want the sheeple fans to know it so they keep watching.

Ike was "shut down in" that game no matter what anyone says. The play he made on that TD break-up was fantastic coverage the way he back-pedaled, side-pedaled, then closed to knock it away. I watched the play four times and am still amazed by his movement. I suppose Big Ben sucks too, then.

bornaSteelersfan
09-18-2012, 11:58 PM
You know who really sucks? Keenan Lewis. He can't even make an open-field tackle on a QB. How are you going to get into the Pro-Bowl with plays like that?!

QCbeauBlak
09-19-2012, 12:08 AM
I don't think any of our DB's suck. All DB's get burnt sometime. Sanchez completed only 10 passes. That's pretty good if not great if you ask me. When Revis isn't hurt watch him. He gets passes completed on him too. Two weeks into the season we are ranked 5th allowing 184.5 passing yards per game. Cool down some people. We are right on pace WITHOUT all of our defensive starters.

I agree with Bayz in that once we have Troy back and our other pass rusher in Harrison back, we should be fine.

tony hipchest
09-19-2012, 12:09 AM
You know who really sucks?

this thread

steelfury02
09-19-2012, 12:03 PM
it sucks, Tomlin Style!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/c172.0.403.403/p403x403/560483_10151276848990809_903711735_n.jpg

steeltheone
09-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Ike has been the most important player on our Defense for years now....He has taken receiver after receiver out of games... No position is tougher to play than CB.

FanSince72
09-19-2012, 12:19 PM
Maybe I saw a different game than some other guys did but I was pretty happy with our Secondary against the Jets.

Ike got burnt a few times early on but I think he more than made up for it by the end of the game.

Bayz101
09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
People can say what they want about Ike, but regardless of competitive, he's take receivers out of games on a consistent basis for over three years.

Darkstorm05
09-19-2012, 12:55 PM
There seems to be a lot of circular arguments taking place. Popular opinion appears to be that Ike is a "great" CB. In fact, it seems most of the starters are well liked. So why does everyone claim our secondary is horrible?

Some say it's bad without Troy, but he was out Sunday and we did ok. Last week it "Sucked", but Troy played, while Clark sat. Does that make Clark more important than Troy? If the other starters are in fact really good, shouldn't they be able to operate with a single starter out and not embarrass themselves?

Last year everyone was calling the secondary atrocious, yet everyone seemed to think all the starters were HoF material. There are still people wishing for Gay to come back. So if the secondary itself "Sucks", but all of the starters are "Great" what's the problem?

I know some will say Manning ruining our D is expected, but I find that to be a bit silly. The Falcons could handle him, it seems. So if you feel our D getting torched by Manning was just Manning doing his thing, do you then also think the Falcons must have the best secondary in the league? If so, and their backs are great by comparison, how can you still call our backs great? If we come up against Manning in the playoffs, will you assume we lose because it's Manning and he's expected to run up the score on our coverage?

fer522
09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
There seems to be a lot of circular arguments taking place. Popular opinion appears to be that Ike is a "great" CB. In fact, it seems most of the starters are well liked. So why does everyone claim our secondary is horrible?

Some say it's bad without Troy, but he was out Sunday and we did ok. Last week it "Sucked", but Troy played, while Clark sat. Does that make Clark more important than Troy? If the other starters are in fact really good, shouldn't they be able to operate with a single starter out and not embarrass themselves?

Last year everyone was calling the secondary atrocious, yet everyone seemed to think all the starters were HoF material. There are still people wishing for Gay to come back. So if the secondary itself "Sucks", but all of the starters are "Great" what's the problem?

I know some will say Manning ruining our D is expected, but I find that to be a bit silly. The Falcons could handle him, it seems. So if you feel our D getting torched by Manning was just Manning doing his thing, do you then also think the Falcons must have the best secondary in the league? If so, and their backs are great by comparison, how can you still call our backs great? If we come up against Manning in the playoffs, will you assume we lose because it's Manning and he's expected to run up the score on our coverage?

Sanchez is not Manning :noidea:
Falcons were constantly putting pressure on manning something our D didn't do

Buddha Bus
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM

Every player has good games, and every player has bad games. Peyton Manning usually trends towards the "good" ones and, unfortunately for us, that was the case in week one.

Conversely, he stunk it up in week 2 (more specifically, the first 8 minutes of that game) against the Falcons. It may have been arm fatigue from not quite being in shape after a long injury layoff. It could have been the crowd noise in a hostile environment with a new offense still feeling each other out.

Ike also has good and bad games like everyone else. It didn't help that he didn't have one of his normal safety nets in Ryan Clark behind him. I think all of our premier players function best when they are all healthy and functioning as a unit together. It's a team game and when you have multiple top-tier starters out at one time, there's a drop-off in results.

We were missing Clark and Harrison in game one and Polamalu and Harrison in game two. When you are missing 2 guys the caliber of those players, you are going to see a difference in the play on the field. Guys try to do too much or lose their confidence when they can't rely on missing guys they normally count on. The defense is a machine that needs all or most of it's parts working to operate efficiently, effectively, and at a high level of performance. If the "replacement parts" are not up to standard, the whole system fails and shows weaknesses. This is what we are seeing, IMHO. We'll be fine once we have the right working parts in place and functioning properly.

Steeldude
09-20-2012, 07:03 PM

I don't think anyone. in their right mind, has said he is a great CB. The problem is he is the best CB on the team. I doubt the Steelers will have an elite CB like Woodson again. They are usually gone in the top 3 to 5 picks of the draft.

jiminpa
09-20-2012, 07:58 PM
I don't think anyone. in their right mind, has said he is a great CB. The problem is he is the best CB on the team. I doubt the Steelers will have an elite CB like Woodson again. They are usually gone in the top 3 to 5 picks of the draft.I'll say that Ike Taylor is a great corner. He shuts down the leagues top receivers every week, and counter with the statement that you have to be out of your mind not to consider that great.

GoFor7
09-20-2012, 08:13 PM
If Ike got INTs he'd get more respect.

btaylor179
09-20-2012, 08:18 PM
db's would be good if we had a pas rush worth a dam

teegre
09-20-2012, 08:20 PM
db's would be good if we had a pas rush worth a dam

^^^That.

wera176
09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
I'll say that Ike Taylor is a great corner. He shuts down the leagues top receivers every week, and counter with the statement that you have to be out of your mind not to consider that great.

^This

dave n'at
09-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Ike IS a great QB. Like others have said, if he could even muster 3 or 4 interceptions a year, he'd be a perennial Pro Bowler. See the article below:

Good afternoon,

http://test.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118077-ed-ike-taylor-led-revis-a-all-cbs-last-year

tony hipchest
09-20-2012, 11:18 PM
dave n'at has a 0.00% burn percentage.

he just burned ALL the haters in this thread.

Darkstorm05
09-21-2012, 07:34 AM
While I don't hate Ike(Again, he's OK), I do hate cherry picked stats. Pulling out a single number from a set can prove or disprove anything if you pick the right number.

Example - Ben has 2 Super Bowl championship rings. You know what former Steelers QB also has 2 SB rings? Bubby Brister. Surely he must be the equal of Ben, right?

Ike's numbers on the CB charts also reflect that he was targeted almost twice as much as any other CB on the top 10 chart. The numbers are obviously going to favor him. Or hop over to the top 10 YAC stopping CB's for last year. #1 on the list...Keenan Lewis, who only allowed 1.3 YAC on average. Guess we should have been starting him over Ike all along?

Again, I don't "Hate" Ike. I think he's OK. But skewed stats aren't going to elevate him to superstar status. If they did, he would have left for a Revis sized contract instead of staying here for 5 mil.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2012, 07:45 AM
While I don't hate Ike(Again, he's OK), I do hate cherry picked stats. Pulling out a single number from a set can prove or disprove anything if you pick the right number.

Example - Ben has 2 Super Bowl championship rings. You know what former Steelers QB also has 2 SB rings? Bubby Brister. Surely he must be the equal of Ben, right?

Ike's numbers on the CB charts also reflect that he was targeted almost twice as much as any other CB on the top 10 chart. The numbers are obviously going to favor him. Or hop over to the top 10 YAC stopping CB's for last year. #1 on the list...Keenan Lewis, who only allowed 1.3 YAC on average. Guess we should have been starting him over Ike all along?

Again, I don't "Hate" Ike. I think he's OK. But skewed stats aren't going to elevate him to superstar status. If they did, he would have left for a Revis sized contract instead of staying here for 5 mil.

When you defend yourself twice as not being a "hater".......you are drinkin' some Hater-ade.

Ike is in the upper 1/3 of CB's in the NFL, whether fantasy football fans want to recognize it or not.

Darkstorm05
09-21-2012, 07:51 AM
When you defend yourself twice as not being a "hater".......you are drinkin' some Hater-ade.

Ike is in the upper 1/3 of CB's in the NFL, whether fantasy football fans want to recognize it or not.

I would say he's in the top 20, but not top 5. To me, that makes him OK. If he were a top 5 CB, I'd say he's great. He isn't. How does that make me a hater? The current trend here is that you either think Ike is a first ballot hall of famer, or you hate him. There can be a middle ground here, though.

teegre
09-21-2012, 08:16 AM
I agree: Ike sucks. So does Ryan Clark.
Sincerely,
Wes Welker

steelfury02
09-21-2012, 08:29 AM
out of all the startin #1 corners, I'd put Ike in top 10, and would rank them like this for now:

1. Carlos Rogers - 49ers
2. Brent Grimes - Falcons
3. Darrelle Revis - Jets
4. Jonathan Joseph - Texans
5. Champ Bailey - Broncos
6. IKE
7. Patrick Peterson - Cardinals
8. Brandon Carr - Cowboys
9. Ladarius Webb - Ravens
10. Nnamdi Asomugha - Eagles

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I would say he's in the top 20, but not top 5. To me, that makes him OK. If he were a top 5 CB, I'd say he's great. He isn't. How does that make me a hater? The current trend here is that you either think Ike is a first ballot hall of famer, or you hate him. There can be a middle ground here, though.

Iike I said...top 1/3 in the NFL. (32 teams X 2CB/team= 64 CB's in the NFL. Divide that by 3 and you have 21.3) I believe that Ike is in the top 21 CB's in the NFL....although you can make a case that Ike is top 10 as Steelfury02 does below.

out of all the startin #1 corners, I'd put Ike in top 10, and would rank them like this for now:

1. Carlos Rogers - 49ers
2. Brent Grimes - Falcons
3. Darrelle Revis - Jets
4. Jonathan Joseph - Texans
5. Champ Bailey - Broncos
6. IKE
7. Patrick Peterson - Cardinals
8. Brandon Carr - Cowboys
9. Ladarius Webb - Ravens
10. Nnamdi Asomugha - Eagles

Interesting ranking. Here is a list from the NY Times that ranked Ike #6
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/top-10-cornerbacks-in-n-f-l/

ESPN has a ranking here http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8256912/nfl-scouts-inc-2012-top-cornerback-rankings but you need to be an insider to get the full list.

This ranking of the teams with the NFL's best CB's has the Steelers ranked #10 http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/7/2/3127990/jets-ravens-nfl-cornerbacks

Lots of respect out there for Ike Taylor, but not much here because he doesnt have gaudy INT #'s.

tony hipchest
09-21-2012, 10:38 AM

actually the trend here is you either think ike sucks or you dont.

that is it.

nothing else.

dont put words into the mouth of those defending him and saying he DOESNT SUCK.

this thread sucks.

thats all.

ricardisimo
09-21-2012, 12:42 PM
Iike I said...top 1/3 in the NFL. (32 teams X 2CB/team= 64 CB's in the NFL. Divide that by 3 and you have 21.3) I believe that Ike is in the top 21 CB's in the NFL....although you can make a case that Ike is top 10 as Steelfury02 does below.

Interesting ranking. Here is a list from the NY Times that ranked Ike #6
http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/25/top-10-cornerbacks-in-n-f-l/

ESPN has a ranking here http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8256912/nfl-scouts-inc-2012-top-cornerback-rankings but you need to be an insider to get the full list.

This ranking of the teams with the NFL's best CB's has the Steelers ranked #10 http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/7/2/3127990/jets-ravens-nfl-cornerbacks

Lots of respect out there for Ike Taylor, but not much here because he doesnt have gaudy INT #'s.
Because as much as we Steelers fans pat ourselves on the back as knowledgeable and stable, the truth is we have just as many ill-informed, fair-weather fans as any other franchise.

Millers the sh!t
09-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Well see what happens when he plays against pick six Palmer. Guaranteed this thread lights up again with disappointment. Ikes in the top 20-25 corners in this league. No better than that.

tony hipchest
09-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Well see what happens when he plays against pick six Palmer. Guaranteed this thread lights up again with disappointment. Ikes in the top 20-25 corners in this league. No better than that.in THIS league or your fantasy football league?

:scratchchin:

lloydwoodson
09-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Demaryius Thomas is going to have a 100 reception 1200 yard 10 td season this year if he stays healthy. I don't want to hear more crying the next time an elite receiver has a 100 yd game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Because as much as we Steelers fans pat ourselves on the back as knowledgeable and stable, the truth is we have just as many ill-informed, fair-weather fans as any other franchise.

:applaudit: True Dat.

Millers the sh!t
09-21-2012, 03:37 PM
in THIS league or your fantasy football league?

:scratchchin:

Didn't even make my fantasy league.... A lot of other corners did though.

tony hipchest
09-21-2012, 03:48 PM

:jerkit:

that explains so much.

most people just lie and say they dont even play fantasy football.

real football knowledge > fantasy football knowledge

Millers the sh!t
09-21-2012, 04:08 PM
:jerkit:

that explains so much.

most people just lie and say they dont even play fantasy football.

real football knowledge > fantasy football knowledge

Real world knowledge > real football knowledge....

Darkstorm05
09-21-2012, 04:17 PM

That made me LOL.

Goldsteel86
09-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Demaryius Thomas is going to have a 100 reception 1200 yard 10 td season this year if he stays healthy. I don't want to hear more crying the next time an elite receiver has a 100 yd game.

I don't see that happening, I think that Ike may have figured it out, if he plays "bump and run, in your face football" he is truly a "shutdown" corner. You know I would say if Ike were locked on Thomas the way he was against Santonio (After the TD), Thomas will be an after thought. I really think when Ike is aggressive and gets p****d off, he plays lights out.

Hawaii 5-0
09-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Defense still searching for 1st interception

By Ralph N. Paulk
Published: Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Steelers proved last season that numbers are often overrated.

They led the AFC in pass defense (171.9 yards per game) but had only 11 interceptions. Only five other conference teams had fewer picks. In contrast, New England led the conference with 23.

The Steelers committed to being more aggressive this season, and they recorded five interceptions in the preseason. They haven’t been nearly as aggressive during the regular season, partly because safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu have yet to played together, and still are looking for their first interception.

“Everybody wants to get an interception because it’s a game-changing play,” said cornerback Keenan Lewis said. “We’re going to make our share of plays. We’ve to find a way to make (Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer) put that ball up so we can make our share of plays.”

All in the game

Cornerback Ike Taylor has been preparing for the Raiders all season e_SEmD on “Madden NFL 13.”

“I play with the Raiders on ‘Madden,’ so I know what kind of team they have. I like that team,” Taylor said. “They have three receivers who can fly. When they get it together, it’s going to be (trouble) for a whole lot of people.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2645791-85/season-steelers-game-raiders-interception-afc-aggressive-interceptions-ball-cornerback#ixzz27GbYE9cA

Curtain_of_Steel
09-23-2012, 06:28 PM
Why not revisit this?lol..

Another bad game? Or just a 2nd rate Wr who can beat Ike?

Ike plays against the Raiders on ALL Madden, comforting!

Steeldude
09-24-2012, 06:35 AM
I'll say that Ike Taylor is a great corner. He shuts down the leagues top receivers every week, and counter with the statement that you have to be out of your mind not to consider that great.

He does? I guess that wasn't Holmes catching a TD on Taylor. I guess Taylor did great in last year's post-season game vs. the Broncos.

Millers the sh!t
09-24-2012, 06:53 AM
The game wasn't aired in my area. How did the pro bowl calibre, shut down corner, Ike Failure hold up against the raiders number one WR? any blown coverages, defensive holding, or pass interference calls come his way?

This is a serious question. I'm really concerned how our number one DB did against an unknown WR from Oakland. Did ike make the WR famous, like he did to D. Thomas from Denver?