PDA

View Full Version : Official "Our Defensive Line Sucks" Thread

steelers33
09-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Frustrations about the defensive line.. go

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Currently the Jets Oline has taken them to the Marriott for lunch. They will be back shortly.

Steelers>NFL
09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Ike Taylor is a shadow of what he once was.

Kanata-Steeler
09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
:rofl:
Unless of course this is one of those "satirical" threads ?, but if not then this thread "sucks" :coffee:
...kindly press the <Del> key.
Thanks.
:tt04:

steelfury02
09-16-2012, 06:41 PM
my guess is after that first TD drive, Tricky Dick had a bone to pick with the D. After that, both they and the secondary had a stout game

TRH
09-16-2012, 06:44 PM
i would have liked to be a fly on the wall at halftime. Both LeBeau and Tomlin had to be P***ED the lackluster, "don't give a s**t" way the defense was playing in the 1st half. You can bet your a** somebody was throwing the F-bombs down during that meeting.
2nd half was much better.

njsteeler87v2
09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
Whatever Coach Tomlin and LeBeau said to the D must have indeed worked. Aside from the dumb penalties, they've stepped up big time to finally ground the Jets...

steelers33
09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
:rofl:
Unless of course this is one of those "satirical" threads ?, but if not then this thread "sucks" :coffee:
...kindly press the <Del> key.
Thanks.
:tt04:

How does this thread suck? The defensive line has played poor in the first two games.

Fire Arians
09-16-2012, 07:00 PM
a little worried about the d-line because they didn't perform well imo. i know the jets have a good running game and shonn greene is the real deal, but our run defense isn't what it used to be.

offense really won the day by taking major time off the clock and forcing sanchez to win the game on his arm

Goldsteel86
09-16-2012, 07:23 PM
a little worried about the d-line because they didn't perform well imo. i know the jets have a good running game and shonn greene is the real deal, but our run defense isn't what it used to be.

offense really won the day by taking major time off the clock and forcing sanchez to win the game on his arm

Agreed but one thing to consider is how many times has the "D" bailed the offense out, I can think of quite a few. However, I totally agree with you as far as the game tonight goes.

LVSteelersfan
09-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Darren McFadden will eat that line for lunch if they don't play better. I hate the Raiders but they seem to have our number the past few years. Hopefully they step up big time in that game.

stinkubus
09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
We've just been really spoiled as Steeler's fans. For a few years if a RB got more than 5 yards on a running play I'd be wondering what was wrong with our defense. We've been so good against the run for so long our expectations as fans might be a bit too high for the personnel we have at this point in time.

That being said, when it comes playoff time I'd be much more worried about having Harrison and Woodley both healthy and on the field (for pass rush purposes), and our secondary playing well. Our Pass D will matter much more if we want to have a deep playoff/SB run.

teegre
09-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Cameron Heyward ended the game with a sack. †I'd love to see him get more playing time... because, when he's in, good things happen. †

pete74
09-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Cameron Heyward ended the game with a sack. †I'd love to see him get more playing time... because, when he's in, good things happen. †

agreed. i really like Heyward. i think Hood was a wasted 1st round pick and we could of found a DE just as good in the 3rd round but Heyward has the talent to be something really good if we let him get in there full time

Galax Steeler
09-17-2012, 04:03 AM
agreed. i really like Heyward. i think Hood was a wasted 1st round pick and we could of found a DE just as good in the 3rd round but Heyward has the talent to be something really good if we let him get in there full time

Dito I think Heyward will be a good one with some playing time.

Kanata-Steeler
09-17-2012, 07:21 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Total&conference=NFL&year=season_2011&sort=1130&old_category=Total&old_group=Defense

Click on those buttons for awile,
..., #1 NFL Defense 2011 reg season, ..., all the way back to 05, and you'll quickly see how consistent and "#1" the Steelers "D" has really been.
Our "O", on the hand hand, has been roughly a consistent #9 <->13 ??? up/down a lot.

Don't get me wrong though, it's just stats, and I feel yours', and others' pain offensively, and there is nothin' I'd like better than to finnaly see an "O" that has been as consistently "worthy" as our "D" has been, over the YEARS. !
Hence why Ariens is finally out, and Haley, and the RUN, with new Offensive adjustments will do the trick. Hopefully our "O" will atleast be a more consistent #3+ for the awile.

If anything, maybe an "Official "Our Offensive Line Sucks" Thread" should have gone up here, long ago, but I for one, am glad nobody did that.

:helmet:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
our defensive line is not designed to get sacks, its designed to occupy blockers so that the LB's can make tackles. Problem is that I saw Larry Foote 5 yards deep and not scraping to the football and filling holes very much.

Gripe all you want, but our LB's are weak right now with the play of Foote and Carter. Timmons doesnt seem to be on par either. The one thing I do think is that Hampton is showing his age and Steve McLendon isnt the beast that everybody was making him out to be in the preseason.

Bayz101
09-17-2012, 08:16 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/stats/byteam?group=Defense&cat=Total&conference=NFL&year=season_2011&sort=1130&old_category=Total&old_group=Defense

Click on those buttons for awile,
..., #1 NFL Defense 2011 reg season, ..., all the way back to 05, and you'll quickly see how consistent and "#1" the Steelers "D" has really been.
Our "O", on the hand hand, has been roughly a consistent #9 <->13 ??? up/down a lot.

Don't get me wrong though, it's just stats, and I feel yours', and others' pain offensively, and there is nothin' I'd like better than to finnaly see an "O" that has been as consistently "worthy" as our "D" has been, over the YEARS. !
Hence why Ariens is finally out, and Haley, and the RUN, with new Offensive adjustments will do the trick. Hopefully our "O" will atleast be a more consistent #3+ for the awile.

If anything, maybe an "Official "Our Offensive Line Sucks" Thread" should have gone up here, long ago, but I for one, am glad nobody did that.

:helmet:

Yeah, our D has been way more consistent than the O, but in recent years, our Offense has showed more promise than the latter. As for the run: You can run it all you want, but we gained 60 yards on the ground with several backs getting carries. The Raiders are coming up next, and they have the WORST defensive secondary in the NFL with ALL NEW CB's. We better sling that damn thing.

MeanGee2047
09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Did y'all see how easy Hampton was getting pushed around? McLendon should be starting...clearly this is big snacks last year. Taylor was stinkin' too. Steelers will be looking hard at LB's & CB's in next years draft.

SteelersFever
09-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Did y'all see how easy Hampton was getting pushed around? McLendon should be starting...clearly this is big snacks last year. Taylor was stinkin' too. Steelers will be looking hard at LB's & CB's in next years draft.

Yeah, I noticed defenders pretty easily getting by. Our future consists of Mclendon, Hood, Heyward and Ta'Amu.

LVSteelersfan
09-17-2012, 10:22 AM
McCLendon needs to be in there especially against the no huddle teams. Hampton gets gassed too fast and is useless in that scenario. And he is not doing his job in run support either. It seems to be Hampton and Keisel are getting blasted out of there. With Hampton getting pushed backwards Hood gets sealed off most of the time and there is a big hole between Hampton and Keisel. Is that what everyone else is seeing? I think Heyward and McClendon need to be put in there and get their feet wet and use the other two as backups. Surely it couldn't be any worse than what Hampton is doing. Unfortunately I see us getting gashed by McFadden big time straight up the gut and on right side of the line on sweeps. He is a definite beast. Wish we had someone like him to run the ball.

SteelKid212
09-17-2012, 11:03 AM
our defensive line is not designed to get sacks, its designed to occupy blockers so that the LB's can make tackles. Problem is that I saw Larry Foote 5 yards deep and not scraping to the football and filling holes very much.

Gripe all you want, but our LB's are weak right now with the play of Foote and Carter. Timmons doesnt seem to be on par either. The one thing I do think is that Hampton is showing his age and Steve McLendon isnt the beast that everybody was making him out to be in the preseason.

sorry Gonzo, i have to disagree with you about Foote.

I thought he looked SOLID against Denver last week and vs the Jets Yesterday.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-18-2012, 11:08 PM

What? I nominate Larry Foote for Defensive MVP as of right now. He seems to be the only one on our defense that is playing with any intensity and that has consistently been making plays for us.

Carter looks like a descent enough backup to get us past a few games, but not a long term solution at all.

Timmons has been okay, but not stellar.

As for the defensive line, Cam Heyward and Mclendon should be starting, with Kiesel and Hamp backing them up. Kiesel had a great season last year, but lets be honest-- both he and Hamp are on the wrong side of 30 and coming back from exploded knees. If we were thinking they would be Probowl players this year, we were not being realistic.

tanda10506
09-19-2012, 01:28 AM
The D line is not performing like we are used to. I'm concerned that Hood is not going to get any better. He's no slouch, but for a first round pick he's not playing up to what's expected. McClendon has played mediocre and he has had a lot of chances to improve, I'm ready for Ta'Amu. I doubt he will play too much this year unless we blow some teams out, but with Hampton needing a breather all the time and McClendon not filling Hampton's role, we can only hope that Ta'Amu learns quickly and is able to take over the position. I'm not totally writing off McClendon, I just haven't seen anything from him these last 2 games and I thought he was mediocre last season.

steelers33
09-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Same thread from last week. Frustrations about the defensive line....go

tanda10506
09-24-2012, 03:30 AM
We've never started rookies on the D line under LeBeau and due to the complex scheme it's probably been the right call. That said, we are at a point where taking some chances on some young players makes sense. Hood is average IMO and Hampton is done. McClendon should be starting and I don't think it's much of a risk to at least see if Heyward can make a difference if started for a large stretch of games straight. Hood and Heyward are both #1 picks, and if Heyward doesn't end up being a beast then our D line will likely be mediocre at best for 2-3 years. You can only spend so many #1's on a position and get #4 production before your at a talent disadvantage.

SteelHaven
09-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Hood and Heyward are both #1 picks, and if Heyward doesn't end up being a beast then our D line will likely be mediocre at best for 2-3 years. You can only spend so many #1's on a position and get #4 production before your at a talent disadvantage.

These were my exact thoughts last night. It's looking more like Tomlins been swinging and missing in a lot of his drafts from the defensive side (with Woodly being the only true homerun and the Heyward pick will evetually work out I think).

If we are wrong and the problem lies in the type of defensive players we have drafted not being effective in Lebeau's 3-4. If after Lebeau retires and Tomlin switches to a 4-3 (or Tomlins Tampa's cover 2 scheme) we could see a difference and have a better grasp in determining the talent we drafted and know what we have. We just have to wait and see. (For example: I'm really interested to see if Hood would be more effective from a 4-3, because maybe Tomlins drafts were picking the players to get ready for that switch after Lebeaus gone)

Steelerfreak58
09-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Just the D Line? I would go a bit further after watching what Oakland did to the D.

Brett Cottrell
09-24-2012, 09:14 AM
Line got shoved around. Maybe move Hood to NT and Heyward to end. Heyward needs to be on the field.

Also, it doesn't help when we're down TWO defensive players of the year.

Still. Our defense was the Raiders' best offense.:banging:

SteeleReign
09-24-2012, 10:17 AM
These were my exact thoughts last night. It's looking more like Tomlins been swinging and missing in a lot of his drafts from the defensive side (with Woodly being the only true homerun and the Heyward pick will evetually work out I think).

If we are wrong and the problem lies in the type of defensive players we have drafted not being effective in Lebeau's 3-4. If after Lebeau retires and Tomlin switches to a 4-3 (or Tomlins Tampa's cover 2 scheme) we could see a difference and have a better grasp in determining the talent we drafted and know what we have. We just have to wait and see. (For example: I'm really interested to see if Hood would be more effective from a 4-3, because maybe Tomlins drafts were picking the players to get ready for that switch after Lebeaus gone)

Go back to 2004. Other than Woodley, we haven't drafted a single big impact defensive player since the 2003 draft (Troy and Ike). Heyward may make an impact, but it's way too early to feel sure of that.

Steelers>NFL
09-24-2012, 10:28 AM
I refuse to blame the defense's poor play on the absence of Troy & Deebo, as they both are a shadow of the dominant players they once were. At the same time, they are going in a year or two tops. So we need to get use to the idea, and start looking for impact players to fill in for them. Or except that fact that dominant defense
is not the norm anymore. It is an offensive - scoring league now.

TRH
09-24-2012, 10:32 AM
Hood is becoming very disappointing. We invested so much in him as our #1, the guy should just be a complete stud. Right now he's barely a 2nd tier starter.

MACH1
09-24-2012, 10:44 AM
Same thread from last week. Frustrations about the defensive line....go

Lets keep it in the same thread then. No need to start a new one on the same subject.

maddog78
09-24-2012, 03:17 PM
You guys are watching a scheme that works for guys like Aaron Smith and Bret Keisel, tall with long wingspans, not work for shorter, exposive guys with shorter arms. Throw in the recent rule change that allows chop blocking by adjacent linemen, and our version of the 3-4 is the dodo bird.

Let Heyward and Hood play 1-gap and penetrate. They're both very good at this, but too often are asked to stand up and play read/react while other linemen chop their legs.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Can't have an official thread for every position, so here is the agenda:

Each week, no matter the outcome of the game, several threads are created all discussing similar topics. We usually merge this all into just a few threads so that everyone's opinions will be discussed and not pushed to page two, and quite frankly, because it makes no sense to have seven threads of complaining about the same damn thing.

So, we'll begin merging threads into the biggest and earliest made discussion on said topic, and so on. I'll leave this be, though. It's already to big to merge. Carry on.

Blitzberg06
09-24-2012, 03:58 PM
Our fans confidence in the organization sucks too :banging:

FrancoLambert
09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Hampton and Keisel are pretty much done. Certainly as starters.
Where's the "new" Ziggy Hood with his "transformed" body?
Was Heyward worthy of a #1 pick? Can he rush the QB?
Wasn't McLendon going to shoot up the depth chart once the games began?
After 3 games this thread title says it all.
I'm still shocked about how easy it has become for teams to move the ball against us on the ground.
I shudder when I think about what Rice will do against us. I know it's along way off, but I don't see things changing much with this unit and the scheme they play.

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 11:26 PM
ReFo: Steelers @ Raiders, Week 3

Sam Monson | 2012/09/25

Big Ben Deserved Better

It seems a funny thing to say, given that he had a shot to lead his team on the final drive and win the game but came up short, but I think itís fair to argue that Roethlisbergerís +5.1 graded game deserved better than a defeat. In truth he made a lot of plays, and often extended them with his own trademark style to hit receivers for gains throughout the game.

Unlike some passers who only start to scramble when things break down, Roethlisberger actually uses his movement to open up throwing lanes and coverages by causing the defense to react. He can generate a pass where there wasnít one previously by moving around and shifting the angles relative to defenders. It may cost him some hits and pressure at times, but in the greater scheme of things itís worth the trouble. He finished the game 36 of 46 on his aimed throws (removing two spikes and a throwaway) for 384 yards and four touchdowns. Thatís a passer rating of 130.4

Linebackers Strong Against the Run

They may have been without James Harrison but the Steelers still got some very impressive play from their linebackers. None of the four graded negatively for the game, and three of them scored very well against the run. Lamarr Woodley (+1.8), Larry Foote (+2.3) and Lawrence Timmons (+3.3) all showed very well in the run game, and constantly knifed between blockers to make stops in and around the line of scrimmage. The four linebackers combined for 12 defensive stops and just a single missed tackle.

Though Harrison is obviously a major loss for Pittsburgh, they will be pleased at how Chris Carter played in his stead. Carter may not have graded spectacularly (+0.2), but he made plays in the game and wasnít exposed the way some players can be at that position.

D-Line Needs Reinforcements

I routinely wonder what some Steelers fans see in Ziggy Hood (-2.4), to the point that Iím actually checking plays more times than I normally would just to make sure Iím not missing some extremely subtle and under-the-radar level of dominance from him. Itís just not there. I was actually shocked in this outing when he made a good play in the run gameĖand even then he was beaten to the tackle by Timmons. Despite 36 snaps rushing the passer he failed to generate any pressure whatsoever.

I understand that might not be his specialty in this defense (though given his college background it probably should be), but if heís out there for 36 snaps against the pass he needs to be able to make himself a factor. Otherwise he is just dead weight, because he rarely commands more than one blocker. In the end it was another poor performance from Hood and, as Casey Hampton (-1.3) isnít getting any younger, Pittsburgh need to find some linemen going forward.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/09/25/refo-steelers-raiders-week-3/