PDA

View Full Version : Saban snubs President Bush's Invitation

Ambridge
08-01-2006, 10:17 AM
http://www.miamidolphins.com/newsite/news/top_story.asp?contentID=4609
July 31, 2006-When the White House called with an invitation to dine with President Bush, Dan Marino took it. But the coach of his former team said no.

Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Monday that his obligations at training camp took priority over a chance to meet the president.

"It was really a tough decision," Saban said. "I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have had to spend dinner with the President."

The invitation was for dinner with Bush on Sunday night at Joe's Stone Crabs, a landmark Miami Beach restaurant. Marino, a former Dolphins quarterback and an NFL Hall of Famer, did attend, Bush said in a speech Monday.

Several Dolphins players said they weren't surprised that Saban put his team ahead of the president.

"We all know Nick is serious about what we're doing here and is committed to it," defensive end Jason Taylor said.

Hey Nick!!! How far is Dolphins training camp from that restaurant in Miami Beach??

Whether you like President Bush or not it's still considered an honor to be invited to dine with him and something that shouldn't have been turned down regardless of whether your in training camp or not.

Jeremy
08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
Why does he have to go to dinner with the President? It's not he was invited to the White House, he was invited to Joe's Stone Crabs. He's very committed to his job. I would think people would respect that.

Ambridge
08-01-2006, 01:52 PM
There are some things that are actually more important than football and this is where Saban totally missed the boat.

It's not like he was invited to dinner by his Congressman, Senator or the Mayor of Miami but he was invited by the leader of his country and the free world.

What would have Nick missed at camp by going to dinner??
Unless he likes to watch his players take showers after the last practice of the day and personally do the bedchecks himself .......what he did was in bad taste.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't want to go to dinner with W. either. Nick Saban your alright in my book.

floodcitygirl
08-01-2006, 02:18 PM
There are some things that are actually more important than football and this is where Saban totally missed the boat.

It's not like he was invited to dinner by his Congressman, Senator or the Mayor of Miami but he was invited by the leader of his country and the free world.

Unless he likes to watch his players take showers after the last practice of the day and personally do the bedchecks himself .......what he did was in bad taste.I agree with you Ambridge...regardless if you agree with the politics or not the right thing would have been to go, IMO. I realize I may be somewhat biased because I actually like Bush (gasp!)...though I don't ALWAYS agree with him ....but I think I would say the same thing even if had been Clinton. :smile:

Livinginthe past
08-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I think this sends out a great message to his team - especially when it comes to lecturing them about making sacrafices for the good of the team.

Thats even if he actually like the President in the first place.

Maybe he has no respect for him and thought it would be hypocritical to go lunch with him.

Personally I would have thought the the leader of the free world had more pressing commitments at this time than going to dinner with a sports coach.

NM

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2006, 02:29 PM
I think this sends out a great message to his team - especially when it comes to lecturing them about making sacrafices for the good of the team.

Maybe he has no respect for him and thought it would be hypocritical to go lunch with him.

Personally I would have thought the the leader of the free world had more pressing commitments at this time than going to dinner with a sports coach.

NM

Like Reading My Pet Goat.

83-Steelers-43
08-01-2006, 02:35 PM

Unless he likes to watch his players take showers after the last practice of the day and personally do the bedchecks himself .......what he did was in bad taste.

I agree completely.

Jeremy
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
This isn't a state dinner at the White House. It's dinner at Joe's Stone Crabs. Would it have been cool to hang out with the President? Sure it would have. But this is Nick Saban saying we're in training camp and it's time to focus on football. Training camp is short period of the season, but it requires quite a bit of focus. Going to hang out at the crab shack with the President right at the start sets a bad example for his team. And as much as I like Bush, I think it shows a little bit of arrogance to think that a pro football coach is going to drop everything to go to dinner with him. There are 11 other months when you can invite Saban to dinner and he's going to say yes.

Don't knock Saban, he's taking his role as a coach and leader seriously. I am sure the President is going to respect that and understand.

boLT fan
08-01-2006, 02:51 PM
Well let's see here. Saban had two differen't options.

1) He could not go, and stay with his team and help his young players develop, and maybe help them win a Superbowl.

2) He could go, probably be bored to death and constantly thinking about his team anyway. And if he hates the president, be angry the whole time.

Good choice, Saban.

tony hipchest
08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Like Reading My Pet Goat.

:rofl: hilarious

DiggetyDank
08-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Saban has a job to do - they pay him to coach football. So does Bush - we pay him to run the country, not jaunt around eating at crab shacks on our dime.

CantStop85
08-01-2006, 05:00 PM
we pay him to run the country, not jaunt around eating at crab shacks on our dime.
Shame on President Bush for eating...shame.

Ambridge
08-01-2006, 05:06 PM
This isn't a state dinner at the White House. It's dinner at Joe's Stone Crabs. Would it have been cool to hang out with the President? Sure it would have. But this is Nick Saban saying we're in training camp and it's time to focus on football. Training camp is short period of the season, but it requires quite a bit of focus. Going to hang out at the crab shack with the President right at the start sets a bad example for his team. And as much as I like Bush, I think it shows a little bit of arrogance to think that a pro football coach is going to drop everything to go to dinner with him. There are 11 other months when you can invite Saban to dinner and he's going to say yes.

Don't knock Saban, he's taking his role as a coach and leader seriously. I am sure the President is going to respect that and understand.

No, it's not a state dinner at the White House it's a brief dinner that probably would have taken Saban 22 miles to drive to and have a brief sit-down with the President of the United States at his request.
Nick isn't going out "Clubbing" for the night and by not going he's not setting a good example of "Football comes first and that I'm completely focused on the team right now" instead it shows his arrogance, lack of respect and that he can "Thumb his Nose" at whoever he wants to......and for whatever reason...........under the guise of "Team First".
I'm sure the Dolphin players would have understood Saban having dinner with the Chief Executive and don't give me the crap that it would have hurt the team and the all around focus.
If President Bush can find a few moments of free time from his daily activities which are more important than any pro football head coaches responsibilities who is Saban to put himself above that??
President Bush takes his role of being the leader of the USA seriously, too bad Nick didn't have the respect to understand that.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2006, 05:10 PM
When did this become Nazi, Germany? People have the right to have dinner or not to have dinner with whoever they want. This is becoming way to big of deal to some people.

DiggetyDank
08-01-2006, 05:15 PM
It's not a stretch to say that maybe he doesn't like Bush and that's why he made up an excuse to not eat with him. I wouldn't go within a mile of that beady-eyed, snickering scumbag ****sucker, as I'd most likely get thrown in some secret prison for expressing my opinion.

edit: Bush probably would have been able to draw up some new dance routines for the cheerleaders, however.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2006, 05:18 PM
Personally I would rather go hunting with Dick Cheney then have dinner with George W. Bush.

DiggetyDank
08-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Just remember to stay behind him, and be ready to hit the deck.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Just remember to stay behind him, and be ready to hit the deck.

I know trust me.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Funny. I don't know what my opinion is on this. That's refreshing.

Jeremy
08-01-2006, 06:51 PM
No, it's not a state dinner at the White House it's a brief dinner that probably would have taken Saban 22 miles to drive to and have a brief sit-down with the President of the United States at his request.
Nick isn't going out "Clubbing" for the night and by not going he's not setting a good example of "Football comes first and that I'm completely focused on the team right now" instead it shows his arrogance, lack of respect and that he can "Thumb his Nose" at whoever he wants to......and for whatever reason...........under the guise of "Team First".
I'm sure the Dolphin players would have understood Saban having dinner with the Chief Executive and don't give me the crap that it would have hurt the team and the all around focus.
If President Bush can find a few moments of free time from his daily activities which are more important than any pro football head coaches responsibilities who is Saban to put himself above that??
President Bush takes his role of being the leader of the USA seriously, too bad Nick didn't have the respect to understand that.

You're taking this far too personally. Coach Saban made a decision, end of discussion. I have enough respect for him not to question his motivations.

LambertIsGod58
08-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Saban blames Bush for the late reaction to Hurricane Katrina...where some of Saban's family lives. It's OK...It doesn't matter that these people were warned to leave ahead of time. And it's OK to blame Bush.....he takes the blame for EVERYTHING!!! Saban has dropped in my respect book.

Ambridge
08-01-2006, 08:45 PM
You're taking this far too personally. Coach Saban made a decision, end of discussion. I have enough respect for him not to question his motivations.

Nothing taken personally at all, just trying to give a firm rebuttal.
I guess I don't hold Saban in the same regard as you do but I respect your opinion even though we don't agree.:cool:

j-dawg
08-01-2006, 09:53 PM
hey, when did the bush camp ask nick about this dinner? the day of? come on, it's training camp... i think his statement wasn't disrespectful at all... "It was really a tough decision, I feel like my first responsibility is our team. That in no way disrespects the importance of the opportunity I would have loved to have had to spend dinner with the President."

if he said.. "f bush, i think he's a 'tard born with a silver spoon" than maybe there'd be problem.

i believe any coach in the nfl would've done the same at this time of year.

Jeremy
08-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Saban blames Bush for the late reaction to Hurricane Katrina...where some of Saban's family lives. It's OK...It doesn't matter that these people were warned to leave ahead of time. And it's OK to blame Bush.....he takes the blame for EVERYTHING!!! Saban has dropped in my respect book.

He's the President, taking blame for things is in the job description. The man a decision. It was a difficult choice. I applaud him for doing what he thought was best for his team.

HometownGal
08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Some food for thought here - maybe Wayne Huizenga didn't want his coach mixing politics with professional sports team responsibilities. He is, after all, Saban's boss. Maybe George should have invited Pete Rose instead. :blurp:

The way I look at it- Saban is missing out on the free eats and brew and Danny Marino gets Saban's share. Seems like a sweet deal to me. :cool:

BlackNGold203
08-02-2006, 11:55 AM
OK...my 2 cents.....

AFC fans...take notice.....

This guy is focused on the Miami Dolphins and nothing else....he now has 2 ex head coaches as coordinators and is stock piling talent BIG TIME!!!

They won their last 6 games...and now have a winning mind set....

This team is coming hard...and I for one am glad we are catching them early....

Saban has a plan...and he's executing it....this team will be a player for years to come...

That being said...I believe there was a reference earlier in this thread about the message he was sending his team by making this decision...I agree....players WILL latch onto that message...

If i was a Pats fan?...I'd be sweating....profusely.....

Livinginthe past
08-02-2006, 02:54 PM
OK...my 2 cents.....

This guy is focused on the Miami Dolphins and nothing else....he now has 2 ex head coaches as coordinators and is stock piling talent BIG TIME!!!

Saban has a plan...and he's executing it....this team will be a player for years to come...

That being said...I believe there was a reference earlier in this thread about the message he was sending his team by making this decision...I agree....players WILL latch onto that message...

You sure dont have Saban and Lombardi confused?

The names can sound kinda similar when you are chewing on a mouthful of Dolphin.

Its good to know that a fan of the current SB Champs is scared of playing a team one that finished behind the Patriots, later in the season.

NM

BlackNGold203
08-02-2006, 03:13 PM
You sure dont have Saban and Lombardi confused?

The names can sound kinda similar when you are chewing on a mouthful of Dolphin.

Its good to know that a fan of the current SB Champs is scared of playing a team one that finished behind the Patriots, later in the season.

NM

There was no reference to being afraid of anything...

I'm glad we are catching them early...because once Culpeper is healthy...this is gonna be a VERY good team...

If they had a QB last year...your Pats would have been in trouble....

HometownGal
08-02-2006, 03:45 PM
OK...my 2 cents.....

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, 203, but I just have a gut feeling that the Pats are going to be a force to be reckoned with this season and the Dolphs will certainly give them a run for their money. I think we may see a rematch of the 2004 AFCC here at Heinz but this time, especially if Cowher is leaning towards retirement, he will be even more determined to free himself of that home advantage AFCC curse that has been following him around. He has his SB victory - I'm sure it would be a personal triumph for him to tie one on the Pats at Heinz Field this season in the AFCC. I never take the Pats lightly as long as Brady is at the helm. No way Jose.

Livinginthe past
08-02-2006, 03:59 PM
There was no reference to being afraid of anything...

I'm glad we are catching them early...because once Culpeper is healthy...this is gonna be a VERY good team...

If they had a QB last year...your Pats would have been in trouble....

I think you have managed to tick every box for Dolphin hype this year.

Culpepper - what a scary proposition.

I could name you a whole bunch of teams that would have done better last year if they had a better QB - its not rocket science.

I find it hilarious that you are one of the posters who spends alot of time bashing the Bengals for tooting their horn about last seasons achievements - well at least they won something - a divisional crown.

Miami has won nothing - apart from 6 games against a mixture of weak teams and the Patriots 3rd string.

Time for some consistency.

NM

BlackNGold203
08-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I think you have managed to tick every box for Dolphin hype this year.

Culpepper - what a scary proposition.

I could name you a whole bunch of teams that would have done better last year if they had a better QB - its not rocket science.

I find it hilarious that you are one of the posters who spends alot of time bashing the Bengals for tooting their horn about last seasons achievements - well at least they won something - a divisional crown.

Miami has won nothing - apart from 6 games against a mixture of weak teams and the Patriots 3rd string.

Time for some consistency.

NM

OUCH!!!

the point to all this, I suppose, is that I liked the message that Saban sent by staying on task with his team and passing on the dinner invite....

In regards to inconsistency...if that is your perception, then so be it. i believe this is a forum where everyone can state their opinions...I respect yours LITP....you certainly dont have to respect mine....

on a final note to your inconsistency reference...yeah...i will occasionally bash the Cincy organization, as they have been the joke of the league for 2 decades until last year...as compared to the Miami organization, who has a history of success and high standards for going on 4 decades now...

inconsistency is in the eye of the beholder I suppose....

by the way LITP...have you witnessed me openly bashing the Patriots???

just curious...because I have alot of respect for them as well....to point out an up and coming threat to their divisional dominance was not disrespectful....just a statement of my opinions...which I believe can actually be done in an open forum like this one...

j-dawg
08-02-2006, 04:51 PM
man.. i don't know about the dolphins... not saying they're bad, but the browns shut 'em out 22-0 last year..

Livinginthe past
08-02-2006, 05:17 PM
OUCH!!!

the point to all this, I suppose, is that I liked the message that Saban sent by staying on task with his team and passing on the dinner invite....

In regards to inconsistency...if that is your perception, then so be it. i believe this is a forum where everyone can state their opinions...I respect yours LITP....you certainly dont have to respect mine....

on a final note to your inconsistency reference...yeah...i will occasionally bash the Cincy organization, as they have been the joke of the league for 2 decades until last year...as compared to the Miami organization, who has a history of success and high standards for going on 4 decades now...

inconsistency is in the eye of the beholder I suppose....

by the way LITP...have you witnessed me openly bashing the Patriots???

just curious...because I have alot of respect for them as well....to point out an up and coming threat to their divisional dominance was not disrespectful....just a statement of my opinions...which I believe can actually be done in an open forum like this one...

Just another opinion on your opinion 203 (which I do respect)!

I have never told anyone they shouldnt air their thoughts - you're right its what this forum is all about.

I just disagree with what you said, not who you are or anything like that.

I argue my points strongly, but it doesnt mean I dont think you shouldnt argue yours right back :cool:

NM

BlackNGold203
08-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Just another opinion on your opinion 203 (which I do respect)!

I have never told anyone they shouldnt air their thoughts - you're right its what this forum is all about.

I just disagree with what you said, not who you are or anything like that.

I argue my points strongly, but it doesnt mean I dont think you shouldnt argue yours right back :cool:

NM

We're cool LITP.....:cool: :cool:

augustashark
08-02-2006, 05:55 PM
We're cool LITP.....:cool: :cool:

:hug: :sissies: I guess you two are cool!

SteelerFanInCA
08-02-2006, 06:49 PM
When did this become Nazi, Germany? People have the right to have dinner or not to have dinner with whoever they want. This is becoming way to big of deal to some people.
Thank you!!

SteelerFanInCA
08-02-2006, 06:56 PM
man.. i don't know about the dolphins... not saying they're bad, but the browns shut 'em out 22-0 last year..
Boy, there's one of those games that got swept under the carpet. :smile:

LambertIsGod58
08-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Who from Saban's family lives in the disaster zone?

Not sure...but I'd heard in on ESPN Radio.

LambertIsGod58
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
He's the President, taking blame for things is in the job description. The man a decision. It was a difficult choice. I applaud him for doing what he thought was best for his team.

If it was stated that way, I'd have no problem with it. The fact of the matter, his team had nothing to do with the decision.

LambertIsGod58
08-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Thank you!!

So what was your opinion on Holmes not calling Rothlisberger back?

j-dawg
08-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Boy, there's one of those games that got swept under the carpet. :smile:

wasn't totally swept under the carpet... droughns had a 75 yard touchdown run on the first play from scrimmage....:dancing: :jammin: :getdown:

SteelerFanInCA
08-02-2006, 07:12 PM
So what was your opinion on Holmes not calling Rothlisberger back?
I would go into it but I'm sure there is a whole other thread regarding that topic already. Not really sure I guess.

Patssuck456
08-03-2006, 04:34 PM

NM

Exactly what greater sacrifice could he make then missing out on a once in a lifetime event?

not saying they're bad, but the browns shut 'em out 22-0 last year..

Flukes happen, What was your team's record again? How good has your team been since they brought back that joke of franchise?

Livinginthe past
08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Exactly what greater sacrifice could he make then missing out on a once in a lifetime event?

Flukes happen, What was your team's record again? How good has your team been since they brought back that joke of franchise?

Hey Dolphins fan,

I was actually backing Sabans actions, the way I read what I wrote was that it was a fairly major sacrafice that he made.

I was applauding him for setting a good example for his team.

NM

Patssuck456
08-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Hey Dolphins fan,

I was actually backing Sabans actions, the way I read what I wrote was that it was a fairly major sacrafice that he made.

I was applauding him for setting a good example for his team.

NM

I know that, I was agreeing with you.

j-dawg
08-03-2006, 06:23 PM

well, we did make the playoffs in 2002... but yeah, we've sucked since we came back... we were 6-10 last year... what's that say about the dolphins? fluke or not... the browns smiggity, smiggity, SMACKED the dolphins last year! :blurp:

BBC
08-04-2006, 06:43 PM
well, we did make the playoffs in 2002... but yeah, we've sucked since we came back... we were 6-10 last year... what's that say about the dolphins? fluke or not... the browns smiggity, smiggity, SMACKED the dolphins last year! :blurp:

How'd you guys do in that playoff appearance?

Oh yeah, I remember now :smile:

j-dawg
08-04-2006, 10:52 PM
How'd you guys do in that playoff appearance?

Oh yeah, I remember now :smile:

yeah, yeah... that's why i said we've sucked since we came back... :kick:

Stlrs4Life
08-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Heh, can't blame Saban.