PDA

View Full Version : Who else is loving these refs?

Darkstorm05
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
They get into arguments with each other over calls. They seem to make up spots on the fly. They added like a yard for us today, but that got challenged and someone who was actually watching the game apparently stepped in to handle things.

When they keep going to that review hood I swear there's no video screen in there...it's a magic 8-ball he's reviewing...or possibly snorting.

OX1947
09-16-2012, 07:04 PM
I blame Goodell and his jackass rules.

Fire Arians
09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
pass interference #24, breathing on the receiver too hard, automatic first down

Ricco Suavez
The call on Ike or Clark was complete BS.

GMU Steeler
I blame Goodell and his jackass rules.

I do too but man the refs are just frustrating to watch. Can't wait to get the pros back.

Fire Arians
09-16-2012, 07:06 PM

still shaking my head over that one, that play was 100% clean. ike didn't touch the WR past 5 yards, and clark made a textbook hit and wrap with no contact to the head.

but who knows, that BS call energized the crowd and the defense played like somebody dropped hot coal down their pants

PATS16N0
09-16-2012, 07:09 PM
They cost us our miracle comeback tonight in Gillette. Goodell can DIAF!
The entire season has been ruined!

PATS16N0
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
At least the Ravens and the Jets lost today too...
(thank you for that...)

The Steelers looked good.

Atlanta Dan
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
They are awful

Darkstorm05
09-16-2012, 07:13 PM
They cost us our miracle comeback tonight in Gillette.

I wasn't aware that it was a ref that shanked that field goal attempt...man, they suck! :tt02:

harrison'samonster
09-16-2012, 07:14 PM
honestly I think the regular refs make as many terrible mistakes. I'm not trying to say that these refs are better, but I don't think the regular refs are that much better

BigRick
09-16-2012, 07:16 PM
As bad as the regular officals are, I' m ready for them to come back.:tt03:

pittpete
09-16-2012, 07:20 PM
pass interference #24, breathing on the receiver too hard, automatic first down

Your on a roll today bro:rofl:

Millers the sh!t
09-16-2012, 07:42 PM

Yep, but the five other calls on Ike were legit.

LVSteelersfan
09-16-2012, 07:55 PM
I swear they cost us the first game. That play where Thomas scored was an absolutely clear holding call against our CB who had a bead on Thomas. And the spotting of the ball is atrocious. The only good thing is that the calls seem to be really bad going both ways for the most part. A lot of head scratchers.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 07:56 PM
Personally I do no think they are that bad. Ike provided piss poor coverage, he deserved every flag he received. We made some stupid plays, and we got some calls back to us.

With that said, the call on Ike was crap, no doubt. But again, Ike was still out of position and would've allowed the catch. Perhaps if Ike actually played football and covered the guy like a shutdown corner does, the penalty doesn't ocurred.

Darkstorm05
09-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Personally I do no think they are that bad.

My biggest issue with them is that they clearly don't know the rules. When they called grounding on Ben, they had to have someone on the sidelines explain to them that it comes with a loss of down. Who watched last weeks game when they simply gave the Seahawks extra timeouts because they had no clue they were supposed to take one away? Half the plays you get conflicting calls, and they need to call up to the booth for a popcorn vendor to straighten the call out for them. And this goes for all the games I've watched so far, but these guys couldn't spot a ball if they had a SEAL team popping smoke to mark targets for them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2012, 08:34 PM
honestly I think the regular refs make as many terrible mistakes. I'm not trying to say that these refs are better, but I don't think the regular refs are that much better

I agree. nothing drastically wrong that changed the game. I say that Ed Hochuli and his buddys can take the rest of the year and go work out at the Y, because they aint much better than these retired refs from the WAC or Mountain West that are working.

blkngld4ever
09-16-2012, 08:55 PM
yes they stink but then I thought if these guys didnt come and fill in would we even have a season?

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Darkstorm: But they still got the grounding rule down. I don't think asking questions before Fing it up is a bad thing. Especially if its going to F it up more. The NFL should have some added input on the penalties to aid these guys in the results of the call. Overall a side from running the games longer, they haven't been bad. Well unless you ask that POS Flacoo, than the whine birds would probably see it a little different.

Millers the shit: Agree there, they nailed the others on Ike.. lol

teegre
09-16-2012, 08:57 PM
I thought that the refs did a GREAT job.
Sincerely,
Santonio Holmes

jiminpa
09-16-2012, 09:02 PM
honestly I think the regular refs make as many terrible mistakes. I'm not trying to say that these refs are better, but I don't think the regular refs are that much betterThose usually aren't mistakes. At one point the NFL owned the Cheatriots, now the Cheatriots own the NFL.

Last time the refs went on strike the replacements were better then the full time refs. They actually called the games straight, which forced the regulars to settle before we got used to watching NFL football played by the rules.

Silvercat
09-16-2012, 09:13 PM
They're terrible.

harrison'samonster
09-16-2012, 10:09 PM
I agree. nothing drastically wrong that changed the game. I say that Ed Hochuli and his buddys can take the rest of the year and go work out at the Y, because they aint much better than these retired refs from the WAC or Mountain West that are working.

yeah, there have been so many big mistakes over the last few years that many people believe (and it's very easy to believe it!) that the nfl is rigged.

StainlessStill
09-16-2012, 10:11 PM
"Pass interference, I don't know who. Spot will be enforced on the end of the run with half a distance to the, uh. First down, Jets."

harrison'samonster
09-16-2012, 10:12 PM
Those usually aren't mistakes. At one point the NFL owned the Cheatriots, now the Cheatriots own the NFL.

Last time the refs went on strike the replacements were better then the full time refs. They actually called the games straight, which forced the regulars to settle before we got used to watching NFL football played by the rules.

I think the refs definitely "interpret" the rules in favor of teams with whiney stars like Brady. Anytime somebody looks at him funny they get flagged.

madtowndrunkard
09-16-2012, 10:47 PM
First off... the so called PRO REFS are horrible. They made mistakes every game and they often took over games... that was pretty much the norm so lets not kid our selves.

These refs don't know the rule book like they should, but they aren't any worse then the pro refs. In fact I'd say they are maybe better... sure they made misakes... but i havent' seen the fill-in's take over games and basically dictate the out come.

IMO the regular refs were often on the take..OR their ego's are so out of control they think they are part of the game. These new refs (for the most part) realize they are to stay out of the way and make calls when they see them.... and for the most part they've done a solid job.

There were a lot of flags tonight, but I'd say all but maybe 1 or 2 was legit. How is that any different or worse then previous seasons?

These new refs are slow...and they appear to not know what they are doing, but they are getting the calls right in the end.

StainlessStill
09-16-2012, 10:49 PM
These refs are old, slow and DONE!

madtowndrunkard
09-16-2012, 10:50 PM
I seriously wonder if the refs on lock out weren't on the take. Maybe Goodell (as much as I hate the guy) is trying to get rid of a problem?

The last thing the NFL can do is say..." these guys are corrupt, we need to replace them all" I've thought for years the games are fixed...I've seen so many game changing bad calls over the years ...what else could explain some of these botched games by officials? If the NFL is trying to clean up the game and lock out dirty officials, I hope they stick to their guns.

Yea I've seen some problems with the new guys...but it's no worse then before.... I'd actually argue it's been better.... just not as "pretty" but the calls are getting made correctly for the most part.

jiminpa
09-16-2012, 11:45 PM
I seriously wonder if the refs on lock out weren't on the take. Maybe Goodell (as much as I hate the guy) is trying to get rid of a problem?

The last thing the NFL can do is say..." these guys are corrupt, we need to replace them all" I've thought for years the games are fixed...I've seen so many game changing bad calls over the years ...what else could explain some of these botched games by officials? If the NFL is trying to clean up the game and lock out dirty officials, I hope they stick to their guns.

Yea I've seen some problems with the new guys...but it's no worse then before.... I'd actually argue it's been better.... just not as "pretty" but the calls are getting made correctly for the most part.Goodell IS the problem. He and the previous two commissioners, maybe more, are subsidiaries of Las Vegas, and the house always wins. But there's still only so much they can do to influence the games without tipping their hands, so it is still fun to watch.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-16-2012, 11:59 PM

I agree 100%. For whatever reason though, it seems the announcers are way way more willing to call these guys out. That might be the reason they seem so bad.

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 12:22 AM
NFL is suffering with replacements

Mike Pereira breaks down the calls for Week 2

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2010/06/07/fs-exclusive-Mike-Pereira_20100607140602_0_0.JPG

UPDATED SEP 17, 2012

I'm officially over it.

I know it just began, but it's time for it to end and you all know what I'm talking about. I don't really care what the issues are or which side has the more legitimate argument, the NFL needs the real referees back on the field.

There were a lot of upsets in Weak 2 — yes, I spelled weak correctly — from the results of games to results of the calls made on the field. NFL players are the best in the business. The real NFL referees are the best in the business, too. The two sides need to get together — now.

There are so many little things that took place Sunday that they are all starting to add up to big things.

From not penalizing a coach for challenging a play that couldn't be challenged (Washington-St. Louis) to allowing the clock to run after an incomplete pass (Cleveland-Cincinnati) to calling a chop block that wasn't a chop block (Dallas-Seattle) to calling an incomplete pass that should have been ruled intentional grounding (Oakland-Miami).

Unfortunately, this list goes on and on …

I'm not saying the replacement refs aren't trying their best, because they are. A look at the average penalties called during Week 2 won't differ much from Week 1, but much of the confusion that reigned supreme came from the replacements just not knowing the rules the way the regular officials do.

You can't expect replacements to know the intricacies of the NFL rule book in two weeks on the job. It takes years. But it doesn't take long — two weeks — to see this is not working.

Let's look at three plays in particular that kind of sum up the day:

WASHINGTON AT ST. LOUIS

Situation: St. Louis had the ball, second-and-1 at the Washington 1-yard line with 9:09 left in the second quarter. Washington led 14-3.

Rams running back Steven Jackson rushed for no gain. He fumbled on the play and it was recovered by the Redskins. St. Louis challenged the fumble ruling and the play was reversed.

This should never have happened. A coach is not allowed to challenge a play when a turnover is ruled on the field. It's an automatic 15-yard penalty. Also, depending on when the challenge flag came from St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher, the play likely shouldn't have been reviewed anyway. If Fisher threw the challenge flag before the replay official initiated the review, then a review is not allowable by rule. If the review is initiated first, before the challenge flag is thrown, it's still a 15-yard penalty, but you can review the play.

DALLAS AT SEATTLE.

Situation: Seattle had the ball, second-and-6 at the Dallas 22-yard line with 6:03 left in the second quarter. Seattle led 10-7.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch rushed for one yard. A penalty was called on Seattle's J.R. Sweezy and Max Unger for a chop block against Marcus Spears.

This was not a chop block. The play would have been a foul in college and it was called by a former college official. However, in the NFL, it is legal to chop block a defender on the back side of a run if the two offensive lineman that chop are lined up next to each other at the snap. Sweezy was the right guard and Unger is the center. That's why it was a legal block and the foul shouldn't have been called.

CLEVELAND AT CINCINNATI.

Situation: Cincinnati had the ball, first-and-20 at the Bengals' 47-yard line with 3:25 left in the second quarter. Cincinnati led 17-10.

Cincinnati quarterback Andy Dalton attempted a short pass to A.J. Green that was incomplete. The clock continued to run when it shouldn't have.

The officials are responsible for monitoring the clock. The timer, who is located in the press box, should have stopped the clock but didn't. Officials are always told to keep their eyes on the clock and to correct it when necessary. It was necessary here. Twenty-nine seconds ran off the clock with 3:25 left to go in the second quarter. Cleveland had the ball at the end of the half and who knows what might have happened if the Browns had another 29 seconds to try and kick a field goal or even score a possible touchdown.

End this now. Please.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Replacement-officials-mistakes-NFL-starts-to-suffer-091612

ricardisimo
09-17-2012, 02:09 AM
I think Mr. Perreira has a unique insight into whether or not these bozos should stick around any further. Listen to the man.

BowCatShot
09-17-2012, 06:25 AM

I agree with you there.

BowCatShot
09-17-2012, 06:29 AM
My biggest issue with them is that they clearly don't know the rules. When they called grounding on Ben, they had to have someone on the sidelines explain to them that it comes with a loss of down. Who watched last weeks game when they simply gave the Seahawks extra timeouts because they had no clue they were supposed to take one away? Half the plays you get conflicting calls, and they need to call up to the booth for a popcorn vendor to straighten the call out for them. And this goes for all the games I've watched so far, but these guys couldn't spot a ball if they had a SEAL team popping smoke to mark targets for them.

They know that their time is limited before the regulars take over, so they gotta make as much scratch as they can as quickly as they can. Obviously which ever owner puts the most dough into the refs bank accounts, his team gets the call. Elementary Watson, elementary.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Peter King is off the scab refs bandwagon - hopefully the national media turning on this probelm will get a deal done

Last week I thought the replacement officials were adequate. Watching football Sunday, I felt like a passenger in a car going 20 miles an hour too fast on a mountain road with hairpin turns; we weren't going to die, but it was going to be a dicey ride....

At the NBC studios, where I watched the games Sunday, I sat for much of the day with former NFL official Jim Daopoulos, hired by the network as an officiating consultant. Daopoulos thought the replacements did a passable job in Week 1, as most impartial observers would have. But he thought there was something troubling about the Week 2 performances.

"Now the players are taking advantage of the lack of experience and the lack of game-control by the replacement officials,'' Daopoulos said during the second half of the Sunday night game. "They're just too inconsistent. The players are pushing them. And the inconsistency is natural, because this is not something you can learn as quickly as they have to learn it. They don't know what illegal contact is; it's a rule that was put in to allow receivers to be able to run free after five yards, and these crews do not know the rule, or they're not calling it correctly.''...

What do I think will happen? Roger Goodell, who thinks he's given enough already (raises of about $50,000 per official over the life of a new contract, while converting to less lucrative pensions, which the league has done with the majority of its full-time employees), will stay dug in. If union leaders Scott Green and Jeff Triplette hear the siren song of their men, I think either this week or next, there will be renewed talks, and the deal will get done. But that's if Green and Triplette give in, and I don't know if they will. I sense Green is the hard-liner here. If he's not willing to give in on the pension, the situation could last a while.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/09/16/week-2/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2

Darkstorm05
09-17-2012, 07:48 AM
"Eventually getting it right" is fine on some plays...but how about when they gave Seattle an extra free timeout when they wanted to slow the game down? By the time the refs conferred and figured out what was going on, the offense had already had their momentum broken. How about all these teams having to eat up challenge flags just to get the ball spotted in the proper place? Or the refs calling a 2nd 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter? If you're trying to mount a last minute comeback, that's a gigantic freebie that can't be undone even if they realize they were wrong. That shouldn't be happening.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/54700/flacco-was-right-to-rip-replacement-refs

They screwed the Ravens with a bogus PI call, too. Anyone else remember our game last week when they called a foul on Redman during a punt return...when he was standing off on the sidelines? 5 minutes of discussion while they tried to figure out how to explain that they were on crack.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2012, 07:51 AM
I think Mr. Perreira has a unique insight into whether or not these bozos should stick around any further. Listen to the man.

Yes, but I also think Mr Perreira has an emotional connection to many of the bozos on strike that he used to work with.

I have no sympathy for a group that turns down an agreement that will pay individuals $200k a year to referee 16 regular season games.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Yes, but I also think Mr Perreira has an emotional connection to many of the bozos on strike that he used to work with.

I have no sympathy for a group that turns down an agreement that will pay individuals $200k a year to referee 16 regular season games.

Agree Perreira has a bias as a former co-worker of the regular refs, but I have more sympathy for the refs than I do the league office

It is all relative - the league is rolling in money but want to cut the pension contribution

Who is more overpaid - the refs or Goodell and his cronies in the league office?

MeanGee2047
09-17-2012, 08:13 AM
I swear they cost us the first game. That play where Thomas scored was an absolutely clear holding call against our CB who had a bead on Thomas. And the spotting of the ball is atrocious. The only good thing is that the calls seem to be really bad going both ways for the most part. A lot of head scratchers.

Whats funny is they kept showing it as the Papa John's play of the week and they clearly show the corner getting grabbed by the back of his jersey...http://forums.steelersfever.com/images/smilies/banging.gif

MeanGee2047
09-17-2012, 08:19 AM
What was the deal with Taylor getting all those calls but the Jets corners weren't? Brown could have made another great catch on the sideline...he wanted a flag but didn't get it...seemed they gave it to the Jet receivers every time they asked for one...

MeanGee2047
09-17-2012, 08:32 AM

It's not about the pay increase....it's about the pension cut. The NFL makes how many billions a year and they want to cut pensions? This is God Dell being an azz...period!

TRH
09-17-2012, 08:53 AM
at least its not totally biased against us (like the real officials seem to be). Its bad across the board.
They were discussing on Mike & Mike this morning about how they're calling everything downfield "pass interference", at times even when its not close. Its ridiculous. These guys need to tone it down a bit and let them play ball. Just because 2 guys are close downfield doesn't mean its "pass interference".
The call yesterday was completely phantom.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2012, 09:32 AM
It's not about the pay increase....it's about the pension cut. The NFL makes how many billions a year and they want to cut pensions? This is God Dell being an azz...period!

Most of these guys have pensions with their other jobs as well, so they are getting benefits from dual sources. Being a Referee is a part time gig for these guys that currently pays them $149,000 average and would pay $200,000 by 2018.

Pete Morelli- High School Principal
Mike Carey- Business owner and entrepeneur
Ed Hochuli- Lawyer
Jeff Triplette- President and CEO of FNC Inc.
Tony Corrente- Highschool science teacher
Gene Steratore- NCAA basketball official
Walt Anderson- retired dentist
Ron Winter- retired professor- Western Michigan University
Scott Green- Co-founder of Washington DC lobbyist group -former Joe Biden staff member

The regular refs are all successful men that ref pro football as a part time job that happens to pay more than double what the average US household income is.

I feel so sad they are offered a 14% pay increase, but potential cut to their pension. :sarcasm: they will probably still be able to afford their private club golf memberships.

jiminpa
09-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Ed Hochuli is a lawyer. That explains why he is the most corrupt of them all, and I will be sure to have no dealings with FNC Inc..

madtowndrunkard
09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm sure the fill in refs will get better at this with experience. They'll watch the tape and see the errors made. Seems to me these guys are trying to get it right.

The regular officials were every bit as bad..... which IMO supports the belief that the officials are on the take. How could officials that are supposedly so good at what they do miss so many calls? The regular officials make HORRIBLE calls every bit as much as the new officials.... Really the mistakes the scabs are making have more to do with lack of experience and understanding of rules. The mistakes the regular officials make have more to do with sticking it to another team or swaying an out come of a game. There is zero consistency with the regular officials... lets not forget the target they put on Harrison 2 years ago. I mean seriously how many bad PI calls or roughing the passer calls have we seen over the years? These fill in guys are better... they seem like they have integrity. Lets not forget how many times Ben had his head beaten into the ground and would get ZERO flags...but when Harrison touched a QB he was flagged.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Most of these guys have pensions with their other jobs as well, so they are getting benefits from dual sources. Being a Referee is a part time gig for these guys that currently pays them $149,000 average and would pay $200,000 by 2018.

Ed Hochuli- Lawyer
Scott Green- Co-founder of Washington DC lobbyist group -former Joe Biden staff member

The regular refs are all successful men that ref pro football as a part time job that happens to pay more than double what the average US household income is.

I feel so sad they are offered a 14% pay increase, but potential cut to their pension. :sarcasm: they will probably still be able to afford their private club golf memberships.

Virtually everyone other than the back office workers associated with the NFL is making multiples of the average US household income - when was the last time Goodell cut his benefit package other than during the lockout in 2011? :noidea:

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm sure the fill in refs will get better at this with experience. They'll watch the tape and see the errors made. Seems to me these guys are trying to get it right.

The regular officials were every bit as bad..... which IMO supports the belief that the officials are on the take. How could officials that are supposedly so good at what they do miss so many calls? The regular officials make HORRIBLE calls every bit as much as the new officials.... Really the mistakes the scabs are making have more to do with lack of experience and understanding of rules. The mistakes the regular officials make have more to do with sticking it to another team or swaying an out come of a game. There is zero consistency with the regular officials... lets not forget the target they put on Harrison 2 years ago. I mean seriously how many bad PI calls or roughing the passer calls have we seen over the years? These fill in guys are better... they seem like they have integrity. Lets not forget how many times Ben had his head beaten into the ground and would get ZERO flags...but when Harrison touched a QB he was flagged.

When you refer to integrity are you referring to the clown who was pulled as a ref in the Saints-Panthers game after the league found out he posted on his Facebook page a photo of himself tailgating last month while wearing Saints gear?:noidea:

These refs cannot even figure out how to mark the ball and the games are grinding to a halt - it took almost 3 hours and 45 minutes for the Ravens-Eagles game to be played yesterday, winding up with that lengthy review of Vick's incomplete pass at the goal line which was erroneously called a fumble and coudl have cost the Eagles the game. Even with a 4:25 start those of us not in Pittsburgh missed over 5 minutes of Steelers-Jets while Ravens-Eagles droned on. The NFL will tolerate a lot but will not tolerate screwing up the TV schedules.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 11:05 AM
A long post on ESPN/Grantland regarding the scab refs - excerpts below

Let's All Be Fair About Insulting These Terrible Referees

Before the topic of terrible refereeing is broached, let's establish one quick ground rule that everyone needs to keep in mind when analyzing the replacement referees. It's unfair to just count every bad call in a given week and point out how bad the referees are, because the baseline for refereeing quality isn't zero bad calls, it's however many bad calls were made by the "professional" referees in a typical week from last season. These referees are definitely screwing up more frequently than the pros were, but remember that they still haven't done anything as bad as pointing in opposite directions for a fumble recovery.

Now that we've all agreed to abide by that rule, Oh my god, these referees were awful this week. ...

The worst call of the week, though, was the pass interference flag thrown on Ike Taylor in the Steelers-Jets game. If you watch the play, you see innocuous coverage from the flagged Taylor followed by a tough but clean hit by safety Ryan Clark on Santonio Holmes.

Now, it's not impossible for refs of any kind to invent a pass interference call where there shouldn't be one. What makes this one so damaging, though, is the Clark factor. Because Taylor's coverage was so obviously not a penalty and the Clark hit was so jarring, it's hard not to come to the conclusion that the refs threw the flag for the Clark hit, realized afterward that it was clean, and then called the penalty on Taylor because they didn't want to look bad. I'm not saying that's what actually happened, but it sure looks that way. Taylor was also not flagged when he made significant contact with Holmes on a pass over the middle two plays later.

There's no option available on the market that's going to deliver perfect refereeing, and fans clamoring for the old refs are going to be disappointed by the number of mistakes they see from the veterans when they eventually do make their way back onto NFL fields. If the replacement referees put together another Sunday or two like this past one, though, don't be surprised to see NFL players and coaches pooling their money together in a Kickstarter campaign to meet the old refs' demands.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8389798/the-cardinals-forgot-lose-rest-notable-news-week-2-nfl

ricardisimo
09-17-2012, 11:37 AM

Ed Hochuli- Lawyer

I'll never understand why the folks doing the work are always the greedy ones, whereas the billionaires up top are just taking care of business. You're seeing now the ultimate goal of the NFL: inferior product at bottom dollar.

If the fact that they're part-time is an issue, then the contract should insist that they be full-timers. I can't imagine either side would ask for that, but hey, crazier shit has happened.

FanSince72
09-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Were the refs actually WATCHING the game or were they just.... "using the Force" or something?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I'll never understand why the folks doing the work are always the greedy ones, whereas the billionaires up top are just taking care of business. You're seeing now the ultimate goal of the NFL: inferior product at bottom dollar.

If the fact that they're part-time is an issue, then the contract should insist that they be full-timers. I can't imagine either side would ask for that, but hey, crazier shit has happened.

Maybe because it was the business owners that built the establishment, made the investment of capital and risked their own $$ are the ones who should see the return.

Who do you think is more deserving of return on investment? Art Rooney or JaMarcus Russell? Lamar Hunt or Joey Harrington? Tom Benson or Ricky Williams?

Look at the resume of most of these refs. They were ex college players that got into refing pop warner, highschool or college games and eventually rose to the top. None seeks it as a profession, they do it as an incidental hobby and now earn upwards of $150k a year for their hobby.

I say its a free market system and if somebody wants to make large contract demands and there are others in the market available, then the system of supply and demand will work things out.

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Post-Jets thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2012
by Dale Lolley

Lawrence Timmons takes a lot of heat on Steelers message boards - some of it deserved - for his lack of big plays.

But he might have made the biggest play in Sunday's win over the Jets when he decked quarterback Mark Sanchez just after the QB had scrambled toward the line of scrimmage and released a pass.

Prior to that hit - which drew a penalty - Sanchez had completed 4 of 5 passes for 80 yards and a touchdown. After the hit, Sanchez was 6 of 22 of 58 yards.

Coincidence? I think not.

Timmons will likely be fined for his hit - which was much like the one James Harrison put on Colt McCoy last season - but it says here his teammates should kick in some money.

Without Harrison and Troy Polamalu in the lineup, the Steelers needed a tone-setting hit - even if it did cross the line. Timmons provided it.

@ I have defended the replacement officials thus far as not being all that much different than the regular officials.

But Sunday's game was a travesty.

Not only were their several bad calls made against both teams, but there seemed to be a huddle anytime a flag was thrown.

Referee Jerry Frump also took f...o...r...e...v...e...r every time he went under the hood for a replay.

The stat sheet said this game took just 3:08 to play, but it seemed more like three days with all of the stoppages.

@ I like the Steelers' new-look offense. Ben Roethlisberger seems to have bought into it as well.

He's spreading the ball around and using a lot of different options.

I also might add that while Roethlisberger was completing 16 of his 21 passes Sunday to his wide receivers for 192 yards and a touchdown, Joe Flacco was connecting on 4 of 11 for 79 yards to his wideouts.

@ I was a little surprised the Steelers didn't use their four wideout sets a little more to take advantage of not having Darrelle Revis on the field.

After all, wouldn't you think they would want, say, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery matched up on 5-9 Ellis Lankster and 5-8 Isaiah Trufant, the Jets' third and fourth corners?

@ Will Johnson is proving to be a weapon out of the backfield and will continue to be so. He's a matchup nightmare for linebackers - especially when they don't cover him as the Jets failed to do.

@ Drew Butler has placed four of his first eight punts inside the 20. The kid's going to be all right.

@ Shaun Suisham banged a pair of 45-yard field goals at Heinz Field. Suisham struggled from the 40 to 50-yard distance last season, so that was a good sign.

@ The Steelers scrapped their outside running attack in the second half and started running right at the Jets.

It says here they should continue along that path until Rashard Mendenhall comes back and shows he's healthy.

Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer are not east-west runners.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

ricardisimo
09-17-2012, 03:31 PM
Maybe because it was the business owners that built the establishment, made the investment of capital and risked their own $$ are the ones who should see the return.

Who do you think is more deserving of return on investment? Art Rooney or JaMarcus Russell? Lamar Hunt or Joey Harrington? Tom Benson or Ricky Williams?

Look at the resume of most of these refs. They were ex college players that got into refing pop warner, highschool or college games and eventually rose to the top. None seeks it as a profession, they do it as an incidental hobby and now earn upwards of $150k a year for their hobby.

I say its a free market system and if somebody wants to make large contract demands and there are others in the market available, then the system of supply and demand will work things out.
This has come up a million times over. There is zero risk to being an NFL owner. The absolute worst that can happen is for a team only to earn modest gains, as I suspect will be the case in Jacksonville. They know their expenditures for a decade in advance. Their spending is capped internally. Their revenue is guaranteed by the network contracts even if they don't provide a product. Their billion-dollar venues are paid for in taxes by the public, who later pay again in the form of ticket sales... Everyone should run a business like this. You would have to be even more stupid than Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder (and that's saying something) not to rake it in.

Why do they deserve to be able to force an inferior product on us? I missed that part. The players are the ones making the product, not the owners.

Buddha Bus
09-17-2012, 03:47 PM
I hear that Stevie Wonder has come out in support of the replacement refs saying they are an inspiration to blind people everywhere.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Another rave review for the performance of the scab refs yesterday

The Ravens’ game against the Eagles encapsulated some of the warnings the locked-out officials had given before the season: that replacement officials might not be able to control players who would push the limits of play to test their resolve. The game was chippy and felt on the verge of devolving into an all-out brawl several times. Then, in the Steelers’ game against the Jets, the officials called one of the most astounding defensive pass interference penalties in memory — considering that the closest defender on the play was at least one yard behind the intended receiver. In the end, the penalty did not hurt the Steelers, but it sure did not help the perception that the replacements have no idea what constitutes a penalty downfield.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/18/sports/football/patriots-are-bitten-by-reliance-on-tight-ends.html?pagewanted=2&ref=sports

steelfury02
09-17-2012, 03:54 PM
I heard Stevie loves skydiving, just scares the heck out of his dog though

OR

I heard when shopping he has to swirl his dog around his head like a lasso just to look around

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 06:58 PM
when Roger talks about "protecting the shield" and the "integrity of the league", is this what he had in mind?

http://www.balkzilla.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/GOODELL.jpg

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 08:37 PM
Scab refs lose control of Falcons-Broncos game on fumble dispute at end of first quarter

Gruden and Tirico call out refs for inability to tell players to back off

What a disgrace

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Scab refs lose control of Falcons-Broncos game on fumble dispute at end of first quarter

Gruden and Tirico call out refs for inability to tell players to back off

What a disgracein the meantime it seems 10 minutes passes in between plays.

this might be tougher than watching the constant commercial breaks nfl games are infused with. :doh:

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 08:44 PM
in the meantime it seems 10 minutes passes in between plays.

this might be tougher than watching the constant commercial breaks nfl games are infused with. :doh:

What may end this ref mess is the games running forever - NFL and the networks want the TV show to get done in 3 hours to 3 hours 15 minutes

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 09:00 PM
teams should have 5 challenges per game as long as these replacement refs are in (either that or automatic reviews up in the booth).

zcoop
09-17-2012, 09:17 PM
teams should have 5 challenges per game as long as these replacement refs are in (either that or automatic reviews up in the booth).

That's what the league get for fielding scabs.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Another view:coffee:

The Scab Refs Still Suck, And Roger Goodell Is Still A Hypocritical Sh*tstain

This is all Roger Goodell's doing, no matter how hard Peter King and his colleagues might try to obfuscate the issue. (Today, King wrote of union leader Scott Green: "I sense Green is the hard-liner here." Right, Peter. Green is the hard-liner, not the guy who locked him out.) Goodell has spent the bulk of his tenure paying lip service to player safety in an inherently unsafe game, and in a matter of weeks he has undermined everything he has ever said about the issue by installing shit*y game managers to officiate real, important games. Everything he has said about player safety has been complete bullsh*t. He doesn't give a f**k. He only cares about LOOKING like he gives a f**k. He doesn't really want to be held accountable. He's not a leader. He's a caretaker. His vision for the future of NFL has nothing to do with innovation but with protection, with cosseting his league from any legal liability and shifting the blame onto the players, with making sure the NFL's reputation remains blissfully intact even when it's actively ****ing itself. There's only one thing that sucks worse than these scab refs, and that's Goodell. F**k him. He's the worst.

http://deadspin.com/5943791/the-scab-refs-still-suck-and-roger-goodell-is-still-a-hypocritical-shitstain

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Why do they deserve to be able to force an inferior product on us? I missed that part. The players are the ones making the product, not the owners.

Because you will keep watching, buying merchandise and getting your Direct TV. If you dont like the inferior product, then stop watching.

I hate this union notion that because an owner or corporation is successful, that the employees deserve a bigger part of the pie. Its like autoworkers that wanted more $$ when the automakers were making profit, but when they started losing money, I didnt see any employees offering to help out their employer by giving salary back.

Maybe the players union will give up some of their membership salary to fund the pay increases to the Refs if they want them back so badly?? Call me when that happens. :coffee:

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 09:49 PM
Because you will keep watching, buying merchandise and getting your Direct TV. If you dont like the inferior product, then stop watching.

I hate this union notion that because an owner or corporation is successful, that the employees deserve a bigger part of the pie. Its like autoworkers that wanted more $$ when the automakers were making profit, but when they started losing money, I didnt see any employees offering to help out their employer by giving salary back.

Maybe the players union will give up some of their membership salary to fund the pay increases to the Refs if they want them back so badly?? Call me when that happens. :coffee:

Or maybe Goodell will be told by his corporate masters that pay the bills to end this crap - Tirico and Gruden open the second half of Falcons-Broncos by pointing out how the refs measured off a defensive holding penalty on the Broncos drive to end the first half for 10 yards rather than 5 yards because it is a10 yard penalty under the college rules :banging:

Don't think for a minute ESPN would be talking if they were not sending a message to Goodell this is hurting the product

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 09:53 PM
the refs also walked off 11 yards on a 10 yard penalty. Mike perera caught it on twitter. last week they were marching off 9 yards on a 10 yd penalty in the PIT-Den game.

if it werent for the 2 minute rule the broncos woulda been screwed out of a TD because fox already had to use his 2 challenges in the 1st quarter.

this shit sucks and the deadspin article above is spot on.

Fire Arians
09-17-2012, 09:56 PM
one thing that was getting to me was when they called penalties, they didn't even get it right. they announced the wrong yardage for different penalty types (ref called 15 yards for a defensive holding, later had to be corrected to 10, then called intentional grounding 10 yard penalty without the loss of down, later had to be corrected again). i know these are replacement refs, but still, they are NFL refs and should at least be as good as the refs at the college level, but aren't.

zcoop
09-17-2012, 09:58 PM

You never see employees giving back salaries? How about layoffs, right-sizing, reengineering, etc. You're kidding right? The corporation will take its share and piss on the most valuable asset, the employee. The refs didn't lock themselve out, goddell did.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
one thing that was getting to me was when they called penalties, they didn't even get it right. they announced the wrong yardage for different penalty types (ref called 15 yards for a defensive holding, later had to be corrected to 10, then called intentional grounding 10 yard penalty without the loss of down, later had to be corrected again). i know these are replacement refs, but still, they are NFL refs and should at least be as good as the refs at the college level, but aren't.

The top college refs want no part of being scab NFL refs

This is not the first time the N.F.L. has used replacement officials. In 2001 the league employed replacements through the first week of the regular season.

When the N.F.L. was in this situation 11 years ago, however, many of the replacements were officials who at least had experience working major-college games. This time the replacements have less impressive backgrounds.

For a number of reasons, high-level college officials are reluctant to moonlight in the N.F.L. as replacements. They do not want to appear disloyal to their college conference supervisors — some of whom are also regular N.F.L. officials — or jeopardize their current positions with little chance of remaining in the pros after the labor issue is settled.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/28/sports/football/calls-by-some-nfl-replacement-referees-raise-concerns.html

Gruden continuing to note how scab refs are destroying flow of Broncos-Falcons game.

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 10:01 PM
in response to all the people bitching about the officiating in tonights game-

Mike Pereira‏@MikePereira

There is no way to keep [up] with your tweets. Just know I feel your frustration. This is not the NFL I worked for. Don't care whose fault it is.

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Two tweets before I go to dinner. The NFL released a statement today saying the replacement refs "are performing admirably."

Second tweet.. Arthur Blank is on the negotiating committee in this lockout. Arthur..get the refs to the table tomorrow and get this done.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 10:24 PM
11:20 in the eastern time zone and the 3rd quarter finally ends - those of us who have been watching the NFL for a while know the ideal schedule is 40 minutes a quarter and a 20 minute halftime - this game is not ending by midnight in the East and should be midway through the 4th quarter by now

My bet is the refs and Goodell get a deal done this week

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 10:46 PM
Replacement refs embarrass the NFL on Monday Night Football

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 17, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/atlantarefs.jpg?w=250

There’s no sugar-coating it: The replacement officials working Monday Night Football are an embarrassment.

In an ugly first quarter that lasted a full hour, the officials showed themselves to be completely incapable of keeping a game moving and keeping up with the fast-paced, stressful job that is officiating in the NFL.

In what may have been the single biggest display of incompetence so far in this lockout of the NFL referees, there was a six-minute delay late in the first quarter while the officials attempted to straighten out what happened when Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno fumbled and players on both sides were pushing and shoving in a pileup. Players came off the bench to get into the scrum. Coaches came off the sideline to get involved. Players were getting in officials’ faces and yelling at them, and in some cases putting their hands on the officials. The officials seemed totally overwhelmed and unsure how to restore order.

In the end, only one player (Falcons defensive end Ray Edwards, whom the referee referred to as “93 red”) was penalized, and no one was ejected. It’s a mystery why other players weren’t penalized. In particular, why wasn’t Broncos center J.D. Walton ejected for grabbing an official and pulling him away from the pile?

It also wasn’t clear that the Falcons actually recovered the fumble — the Broncos looked like they jumped on it — although the fact that the officials might have awarded possession to the wrong team became a side issue in the chaos that ensued.

The pileup after the Moreno fumble was only the most glaring of several instances in which it was clear that the officials didn’t have control over the game. At another point, Broncos coach John Fox screamed at the officials and appeared to get a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct, but the officials picked up the flag and didn’t explain why they hadn’t enforced the penalty. There was also a penalty on the Broncos for hitting Matt Ryan after he slid — which was the right call, although the flag only came out after the Falcons started complaining and the crowd started grumbling. Officials need to look like they’re swift, decisive and immune to outside influence, not like they’re influenced by people yelling at them.

Since I started here by calling the replacement officials an embarrassment, let me conclude by making clear that they’re not an embarrassment to themselves — they’re doing the best they can at a hard job they were thrown into with too little training. No, they’re an embarrassment to Roger Goodell and the NFL owners, who are allowing underqualified and unprepared people to tarnish a great league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/17/replacement-refs-embarrass-the-nfl-on-monday-night-football/

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 11:31 PM
look for steve young to get fined or be fired (or possibly kidnapped and sunk in a river after leaving the stadium).

he completely ripped the nfl in the post game show. "the nfl dont care about safety. they will run out DIII refs because the fans will still watch."

dilfer added that the league is hypocrites.

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 12:20 AM
look for steve young to get fined or be fired (or possibly kidnapped and sunk in a river after leaving the stadium).

he completely ripped the nfl in the post game show. "the nfl dont care about safety. they will run out DIII refs because the fans will still watch."

dilfer added that the league is hypocrites.

I agree with both Steve Young and Dilfer...

steelfury02
09-18-2012, 08:12 AM
for once, I agree with both of them . . .

The brand they are putting out there compared to even last season is painful. I found it very difficult to watch the crap that was :02 left in the 1st quarter. If this would become a regular time span for prime time games, I'll be changing the channel - WAY TOO LONG

Here's an idea: Eliminate the scab refs and just have the NFL guys in black calling the game. Unless they don't know what the hell they are talking about too . . .

TheDude
09-18-2012, 09:13 AM
I hate to use Joe Flacco, the Unibrow, as a reference, but he had a great point....

Im paraphrasing..."The NFL likes to talk about "integrity of the league" alot and they run these guys out on the field"

We discussed this on the podcast...during the Ben/Silverback/Goodell drama, the commish loved to throw around the phrase "tarnish the shield"...these officials are doing just that Roger

Darkstorm05
09-18-2012, 06:07 PM
New refs keep getting better!

This one wants to add players to his fantasy team...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/replacement-ref-reportedly-told-lesean-mccoy-fantasy-team-143558559--nfl.html

And this explains why Seattle gets extra timeouts...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/9/16/3341866/replacement-referee-seattle-seahawks

FanSince72
09-18-2012, 08:34 PM
http://www.sycaonline.org/images/NFL%20Refs.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
09-19-2012, 12:57 AM
Replacement officials taking heat

By ROB MAADDI (AP Pro Football Writer)

One official was pulled from duty because he's a fan. Another negated a touchdown without ever throwing a penalty flag. Several others had difficulty with basic rules.

Upon further review, the NFL's replacement officials came up short in Week 2.

Coaches and players around the league are losing patience and speaking out against the fill-in officials following a slew of questionable calls in the games Sunday and Monday night.

Some players are even joking about dipping into their own pockets to settle the contract dispute and get the regular officials back on the field.

''I don't know what they're arguing about, but I got a couple of (million) on it, so let's try to make it work,'' Washington defensive back DeAngelo Hall said, kiddingly, on Monday. ''I'm sure the locker room could pot up some cash and try to help the cause out.''

The NFL locked out the regular officials in June after their contract expired. Negotiations with the NFL Referees Association broke down several times during the summer, including just before the season, and the league is using replacements for the first time since 2001.

The results have been mixed.

Just hours before kickoff Sunday, the NFL removed side judge Brian Stropolo from the New Orleans-Carolina game because it was discovered he's a Saints fan.

Then came the on-field problems.

In Philadelphia's 24-23 win over Baltimore, two game-altering calls left quarterback Joe Flacco and linebacker Ray Lewis fuming, though it appeared on replay that both calls were accurate. That didn't make them any less controversial.

Flacco's scoring pass to receiver Jacoby Jones in the fourth quarter was called back because of offensive pass interference. The official who made the call didn't throw the yellow flag, though he immediately signaled a penalty.

''I might sound like a little bit of a baby here,'' Flacco said, ''but for them to make that call, I think, was a little crazy.''

There was confusion later during Philadelphia's go-ahead drive. First, the two-minute warning occurred twice. Then, quarterback Michael Vick's forward pass was called a fumble inside the Ravens 5. It was ruled incomplete following a replay, and Vick scored on the next play after a few anxious moments.

''It's extra stress when you have to sit there and wait,'' Vick said. ''The one thing you don't want to do, you don't want to put the game in the officials' hands.''

Lewis, like many players around the league, has seen enough.

''The time is now,'' he said. ''How much longer are we going to keep going through this whole process? I don't have the answer. I just know across the league teams and the league are being affected by it. It's not just this game, it's all across the league. And so if they want the league to have the same reputation it's always had, they'll address the problem. Get the regular referees in here and let the games play themselves out.

''We already have controversy enough with the regular refs calling the plays.''

The problems continued Monday night when Peyton Manning led the Denver Broncos against the Atlanta Falcons.

The officials missed a call on Denver's first touchdown, ruling that Demaryius Thomas was pushed out of bounds. The replay clearly showed he got both feet down, and the call was reversed after a review.

The Falcons' first score also was reversed, this time with the officials ruling, with help from a replay, that Michael Turner actually landed short of the goal line. He wound up scoring on the next play.

In the second half, the officials got mixed up on where to place the ball after a defensive holding penalty on Champ Bailey. The crowd booed while the officials conferred, finally moving it a few yards forward to the proper spot.

It was those sort of delays that helped the game drag on for nearly 3 1/2 hours.

Despite the public outcry, the league backed the replacement crews, a collection of small-college officials who have been studying NFL rules since the summer.

''Officiating is never perfect. The current officials have made great strides and are performing admirably under unprecedented scrutiny and great pressure,'' NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email to The Associated Press. ''As we do every season, we will work to improve officiating and are confident that the game officials will show continued improvement.''

While some of the mistakes on Sunday were judgment calls - such as a pass interference penalty on Pittsburgh defensive back Ike Taylor in which he appeared to miss a New York Jets receiver - the more egregious errors appear to be misinterpretations of rules.

In St. Louis' 31-28 victory over Washington, Rams coach Jeff Fisher challenged a second-quarter fumble by running back Steven Jackson near the goal line and it was overturned. The Rams ended up kicking a field goal, which was the margin of victory.

The problem there was a coach is not allowed to challenge a play when a turnover is ruled on the field. It should've been an automatic 15-yard penalty on Fisher. Also, if Fisher threw the red challenge flag before the replay official initiated the review, then a review is not allowed and the Redskins would've kept the ball.

''I just think that they're just so inconsistent that it definitely has an effect on the games,'' Redskins linebacker London Fletcher said. ''You were hoping it would get better, but everybody is having to dealing with it.''

In the Cleveland-Cincinnati game, the clock continued to run after an incomplete pass by Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton in the second quarter. A total of 29 seconds ticked off, and the Browns ended the half with the ball at their 29. Perhaps an extra half-minute could've helped the drive. The Bengals won 34-27.

''Missed calls & bad calls are going to happen,'' Browns linebacker Scott Fujita, an NFLPA executive council member, wrote on Twitter. ''That's part of the deal & we can all live with it. But not knowing all the rules and major procedural errors (like allowing the clock to run after an incomplete pass) are completely unacceptable. Enough already.''

The Colts were incorrectly told at the end of their game that accepting an offside penalty would start the clock. So, quarterback Andrew Luck spiked the ball to stop it and set up Adam Vinatieri's 53-yard field goal that gave Indianapolis a 23-20 win over Minnesota.

Feisty play was a common theme around the league, as well. Players are seemingly getting away with being more physical, especially after the whistle. Officials appear reluctant to call personal fouls, opting instead for offsetting unsportsmanlike penalties that won't dissuade guys from going after each other as much.

The officials singled out an offender in the final minutes at St. Louis. Washington receiver Josh Morgan reacted after being tackled - and then shoved - by Cortland Finnegan, tossing the ball at the Rams cornerback and drawing an unsportsmanlike penalty. That turned a potential game-tying 47-yard field goal into a 62-yard attempt, which Billy Cundiff missed short.

''I've never been a part of a game that was that chippy,'' Washington's Hall said. ''Just so much extracurricular things going on after the play.''

Philadelphia receiver Jason Avant predicted replacement officials would have trouble keeping players in line.

''When you go into a game, you know what things you can do to get away with, with these refs that we have,'' Avant said a few days before the season opener. ''Guys are going to kind of cheat.''

As a result, Avant and many of his peers are concerned about safety.

''If they're going to press player safety,'' Buffalo center Eric Wood said, ''and they're going to have this multibillion-dollar industry, they should probably try to get something done to keep the product high.''

In 2001, the lockout lasted for one week of the regular season before a settlement was reached. This was the second weekend the replacements were used, and the NFL has drawn up a five-week schedule for using them if the labor dispute is not resolved.

In Week 1, there was one major error, when the officials awarded Seattle an extra timeout in the final minutes of a game at Arizona. The Cardinals held on to win and the crew's referee admitted the mistake.

''I don't know if there's a newfound appreciation or anything like that, but those guys have been doing it for a long time and they put a lot of time and hard work into going out there and doing this and seeing those games,'' Flacco said about the regular officials. ''It's not easy to be down there and be officiating games that are going full speed at this level, so that's my opinion of it.

''It's tough to just get thrown right in there and be perfect.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/replace...9253--nfl.html

ricardisimo
09-19-2012, 04:01 AM

In case you have somehow forgotten, the US auto industry (like the nation's steel industry) was arguably the best in the world until the owners decided that it would be a great idea to start shipping more and more of the work overseas. Now American cars suck and don't sell, and there is no such thing as American steel, so there's nothing to sell. Don't talk like the league can't **** up a good thing. Ownership can **** up anything if given enough rope.
You never see employees giving back salaries? How about layoffs, right-sizing, reengineering, etc. You're kidding right? The corporation will take its share and piss on the most valuable asset, the employee. The refs didn't lock themselve out, goddell did.
Amen, brother.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2012, 08:14 AM
In case you have somehow forgotten, the US auto industry (like the nation's steel industry) was arguably the best in the world until the owners decided that it would be a great idea to start shipping more and more of the work overseas. Now American cars suck and don't sell, and there is no such thing as American steel, so there's nothing to sell. Don't talk like the league can't **** up a good thing. Ownership can **** up anything if given enough rope.

Amen, brother.

Ric, the most expensive thing in a GM car 5 years ago was not the motor, it was the labour cost and pension benefits of the autoworker. Unions kept going on strike and demanding more until a guy putting in a windshield in Detroit made a lot more than he should have and the company could not be competitive.

I'm tired of hearing unions making demands that they want more, when they are already getting compensated well. Everybody thinks they are entitled to something, rather than wanting to work for it. The entitlement of the culture is sickening and that is all these refs think...................they are entitled to more.

FanSince72
09-19-2012, 08:45 AM
Ric, the most expensive thing in a GM car 5 years ago was not the motor, it was the labour cost and pension benefits of the autoworker. Unions kept going on strike and demanding more until a guy putting in a windshield in Detroit made a lot more than he should have and the company could not be competitive.

Not competitive?

Last year, the CEO of General motors "earned" $10,000,000.00.
If you were to break that down to a 40 hr. week, that would be the equivalent of $4,800.00 PER HOUR or $192,000.00 PER WEEK.

The highest paid assembly line worker earned $47.00.00 PER HOUR / $1,880.00 WK.

If GM isn't competitive, then maybe the CEO should take a pay cut.

Is any human being really worth $4,800.00 per hour to do a job?

Bayz101
09-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Not competitive?

If you were to break that down to a 40 hr. week, that would be the equivalent of $4,800.00 PER HOUR or $192,000.00 PER WEEK.

Unless your life is constantly in danger, i'd have to answer that with a "no".

2A_h2AjJaMw

GoFor7
09-19-2012, 11:26 AM
http://www.stillers.com/UserFiles/Images/Trenches/AdolfGoodell-01.png

NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!

Schauen Sie nicht dort drüben, schau dort drüben! Vergessen Sie die Beamten, schauen, was Lawrence Timmons hat den armen Mark Sanchez! Lebenslange Sperre für James Harrison!

HEIL GOODELL!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Not competitive?

I was referring to approx 5 years ago when GENERAL MOTORS NEEDED A FEDERAL BAILOUT. .......you know, the $17.4 BILLION

In 2006 the Wall Street Journal reported that the average GM paid an average of $81.18 per hour to their hourly workers. So they are making $47.00 now and being profitable

.WOW, I am not shocked at all that GM cut wages 42% in order to be competitive. Thank you for making my point.

FanSince72
09-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I was referring to approx 5 years ago when GENERAL MOTORS NEEDED A FEDERAL BAILOUT. .......you know, the $17.4 BILLION

In 2006 the Wall Street Journal reported that the average GM paid an average of $81.18 per hour to their hourly workers. So they are making $47.00 now and being profitable

.WOW, I am not shocked at all that GM cut wages 42% in order to be competitive. Thank you for making my point.

You know, America was at its industrial best back in the '60's when corporations paid the lion's share of taxes and CEO's earned about 40 times more than their lowest paid workers.

But today, the corporations pay less in taxes than the average wage-earner and CEO's make 460 times more than their lowest paid workers yet they need the taxpayers to fork over billions of dollars to help keep them in business.

What's wrong with that picture?

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2012, 05:34 PM
This will fix everything - tell everyone to just shut up and quit griping about the lousy refs

NFL issues warning on conduct

The NFL reached out to the owners, general managers and coaches of all 32 teams this week to advise them that the type of on-field behavior they witnessed last weekend will not be acceptable this weekend.

Coaches including coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio of the Denver Broncos, along with San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, were spotted berating officials in a way unacceptable to the league office.

"We contacted them to remind them that everyone has a responsibility to respect the game," NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson said Thursday night. "We expect it to be adhered to this weekend and forevermore."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8404563/nfl-issues-field-conduct-warning-owners-general-managers-coaches-all-32-teams

Everyone has an obligation to respect the game except Goodell and his yes man Ray Anderson, who blame the coaches and players for complaining about the scab refs that the league has brought in after locking out the real refs

Darkstorm05
09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
This will fix everything - tell everyone to just shut up and quit griping about the lousy refs

The NFL reached out to the owners, general managers and coaches of all 32 teams this week to advise them that the type of on-field behavior they witnessed last weekend will not be acceptable this weekend.

Coaches including coach John Fox and defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio of the Denver Broncos, along with San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, were spotted berating officials in a way unacceptable to the league office.

"We contacted them to remind them that everyone has a responsibility to respect the game," NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson said Thursday night. "We expect it to be adhered to this weekend and forevermore."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8404563/nfl-issues-field-conduct-warning-owners-general-managers-coaches-all-32-teams

Everyone has an obligation to respect the game except Goodell and his yes man Ray Anderson, who blame the coaches and players for complaining about the scab refs that the league has brought in after locking out the real refs

That makes me laugh. The NFL is becoming such a circus.

Hawaii 5-0
09-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Replacement refs affect Vegas betting

UPDATED SEP 20, 2012
Associated Press

Las Vegas casinos think this weekend's NFL games will be the highest-scoring ever thanks to the league's replacement officials.

Oddsmakers say casinos are changing their expectations as interim referees add new variables to the game, changing its pace and the approaches taken by players and coaches.

Casinos haven't fully changed lines yet because there have been only two weeks of games and referees might adjust how they call games based on weekly feedback from the league. But oddsmaker Mike Colbert of Cantor Gaming says home teams will deserve an extra half-point in their favor if games are called all year the way they were officiated in Week 2.

''It's starting to concern us a bit,'' Colbert said. ''(Officials) should have no influence on the total or the side.''

Penalties were skewed in favor of home teams during the first two weeks this year, with visitors getting 55.1 percent of 419 penalties. Last year began in a similar fashion -- visitors took 54.8 percent of 407 total penalties through the first two games -- before evening out over the rest of the season. Penalties were relatively even between home and road teams for all of 2010 and 2011, and it's anybody's guess how this year's penalties will split.

Sports books make money by encouraging balanced betting action; they get it by using point spreads to account for the advantage one team has over another. In Week 2, home teams went 11-4-1 after going 8-8 in Week 1.

Future lines with interim officials will take a lot of guesswork, said Colbert, whose company runs sports books in six Las Vegas casinos and provides betting lines for the vast majority of Nevada sports books.

''You've got to use prior experience -- I don't know if anyone has prior experience with something like this,'' he said.

NFL teams generally get a 3-point edge in sports books just for playing at home. An extra half-point added to that would be the equivalent of a team having a superstar receiver or running back on the field or an opponent missing its star because of injury, gambling expert RJ Bell of Pregame.com said.

''That's a strong statement that the people are really considering this to be a legitimate phenomenon,'' Bell said. ''When you're taking hundreds of thousands of dollars per game, those half-points are really meaningful.''

In the two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl earlier this year, oddsmakers said Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski would shift the line a half-point depending on whether he appeared in the game. He played but caught only two passes in the loss to the Giants.

Public perception makes a big difference in a sports betting world built on complex math and opinion markets -- even if popular opinions don't entirely match what's happening on the field.

Statistically, there were few differences from last year in the way the first two weeks of this season were called. The average number of penalties is down and player safety calls like roughing the passer have been about the same. But defensive pass interference calls are up; there were 44 defensive pass interference calls in the first two weeks this year compared with 30 in the first two weeks last year. And games are taking about six minutes longer on average.

Casinos expect an average of 46.1 points scored per game for Week 3 -- the highest projected total ever for Vegas casinos, Bell said.

Bell said the jump can't just be another sign of a pass-happy league with rules designed to foster offense.

''What else has changed other than the referees?'' he asked.

SportsBettingOnline.ag, a Costa Rica company that takes bets online, is taking referee bets directly to fans, allowing them to wager on different kinds of penalties league-wide, including the number of pass interference calls, how long games will last and whether home teams will take fewer penalties than visitors. Online sports gambling is illegal in the United States, and such bets wouldn't likely fly in Las Vegas.

Colbert said Cantor plans to allow bettors to wager for the first time ever on total points for the entire league. The over/under line was set to open Thursday morning at 732.5 points, an average of 45.8 points per game.

Colbert said that while it's high, it's lower than the totals of each of 16 games added up, in part because he thinks some casinos are overreacting to the referees and inflated their numbers.

But he said that might not matter to bettors, who notoriously love high scores.

''My gut instinct is they'll bet over,'' he said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8402489/nfl-replacement-officials-affecting-vegas-bets

ricardisimo
09-21-2012, 03:43 AM

I'm tired of hearing unions making demands that they want more, when they are already getting compensated well. Everybody thinks they are entitled to something, rather than wanting to work for it. The entitlement of the culture is sickening and that is all these refs think...................they are entitled to more.
No, the most expensive thing in almost every product on the planet then and now is executive compensation. You've been fed a load of BS and you know it, Gonzo. These people are bloodsuckers, and our workers' blood has long since been drained.

Exactly. Respect the ****ing game, Goodell.

You know, America was at its industrial best back in the '60's when corporations paid the lion's share of taxes and CEO's earned about 40 times more than their lowest paid workers.

But today, the corporations pay less in taxes than the average wage-earner and CEO's make 460 times more than their lowest paid workers yet they need the taxpayers to fork over billions of dollars to help keep them in business.

What's wrong with that picture?
That was back when the country was run by commies like President Eisenhower.

And by the way, Gonz, back when the Japanese were driving us out of business with better, cheaper cars, they were far more unionized than us and going on strike two or three times as often. Those greedy Japanese workers, driving their company profits up. Shame on them. Of course, now we are their cheap non-union labor force and their cars are starting to suck almost as badly as our own.

Atlanta Dan
09-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Picture is worth a thousand words:chuckle:

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0921/nfl_g_tomlin_ref_576.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
09-22-2012, 02:38 AM
posted by Dale Lolley

Interesting to note that the line on this game has dropped to 4 points after the Steelers opened as 6-point favorites.

But there is some basis. The replacement officials have called home teams for 44.9 percent of the penalties. Compare that to a 51-49 split for the regular officials.

Possibly because of that, home teams are 23-9 straight up and 19-12-1 ATS through two weeks this season.

On average over the previous three seasons, the home teams were 19-13 straight up and 16-15-1 ATS.

Coincidence? Maybe. It's something we'll keep an eye on this week.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Darkstorm05
09-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Refs turned the Bengals game into a train wreck. Also based on the games I've watched so far today, it seems like someone told the refs they don't want to see another PI flag fly, even if it's actually legit. We'll see if the trend continues for us.

fujirama24
09-23-2012, 08:03 PM
The biggest no call was when the kick the onside kick out of bounds and no one touched it. That is suppose to be a 15 yard penalty and they didn't call it. These refs are rediculous. They don't even know the rules.

Darkstorm05
09-23-2012, 08:05 PM
The biggest no call was when the kick the onside kick out of bounds and no one touched it. That is suppose to be a 15 yard penalty and they didn't call it. These refs are rediculous. They don't even know the rules.

Oh, they "Called it". Ref clearly stated it was a "Foul". But then he did nothing to follow up on that. The Bengals refs gave more free time outs. Also refused to run down the clock a couple times. Total nonsense.

raiderfan001
09-23-2012, 08:10 PM
lol you guys couldnt even win with the refs on your side

Bayz101
09-23-2012, 08:12 PM

Enjoy it. Once again, you're going no where.

Darkstorm05
09-23-2012, 08:20 PM

Yea, you clearly have the better team. I mean, you haven't seen a playoff victory in a decade, but at least you have 8 conference titles, and 6 super bowl championships to comfort you and...oh...wait, right. That's us!

Darkstorm05
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
Announcers are actually laughing at the refs in the NE/Ravens game. That says it all.

steelfury02
09-23-2012, 08:25 PM
congratulations Raiders fan - all of my assumptions about your fan base are now represented quite well

How about you go celebrate your team winning instead of coming on here and complaining about the refs AFTER A WIN.

Raiders fans STILL GOT THESE CHEESEBURGERS MAN.

Seriously, don't you have a store to rob at gunpoint or a little kid to sell needles to?

Bayz101
09-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Yea, you clearly have the better team. I mean, you haven't seen a playoff victory in a decade, but at least you have 8 conference titles, and 6 super bowl championships to comfort you and...oh...wait, right. That's us!

He's banned. Call it. Time of death --- 9:10pm.

jiminpa
09-23-2012, 09:02 PM
And to say that the refs were on OUR side is just plain ridiculous anyway. They were blatantly not calling penalties against oakland. Ike was clearly held from making a tackle on that 64 yard run. The cheap shot on BR --no call. That offsides call was borderline, and a stupid rule anyway, the offense knows the count. The PI for touching the receiver, while technically correct, only got called against the Steelers. There were a number of pivotal no calls in favor of the raiders, in the first half.

TRH
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
I can't believe the NFL won't budge more and get a deal done with these guys. This is downright embarrassing (and i'm not just talking how the Steeler game was called.....its completely league-wide).
The product the league is allowing to take the field right now is appalling, degrading, and sad.

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 10:32 PM
holy shit 2 BS defensive holding calls on the same drive to GIFT the ravens a touchdown. such BULL SHIT, seriously the 2nd holding call it was the receiver holding the defender!! what the **** are these refs smoking?

Ebannaw
09-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Hey Steeler fans: Quit whining about officiating that the Raiders have dealt with since our inception. EVERY. GAME.

If you don't recall, DHB almost got killed, but no penalty? Seriously.

These officials are no better or worse than the ones before. If anything, they're fairer to the Raiders.

congratulations Raiders fan - all of my assumptions about your fan base are now represented quite well

How about you go celebrate your team winning instead of coming on here and complaining about the refs AFTER A WIN.

Raiders fans STILL GOT THESE CHEESEBURGERS MAN.

Seriously, don't you have a store to rob at gunpoint or a little kid to sell needles to?

Stop generalizing. It's ignorant. Not all Steeler fans are as retarded as you are in this post.

Fact.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Hey Steeler fans: Quit whining about officiating that the Raiders have dealt with since our inception. EVERY. GAME.

If you don't recall, DHB almost got killed, but no penalty? Seriously.

These officials are no better or worse than the ones before. If anything, they're fairer to the Raiders.

Stop generalizing. It's ignorant. Not all Steeler fans are as retarded as you are in this post.

Fact.

Nothing better to do, eh? Go celebrate on your forum. No reason in coming over here and stirring the pot. Come back when you make the playoffs, or better yet, when you finish with a .500 record.

Ebannaw
09-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Nothing better to do, eh? Go celebrate on your forum. No reason in coming over here and stirring the pot. Come back when you make the playoffs, or better yet, when you finish with a .500 record.

Yes suh, east coast mastuh suh!

This is the internet where it takes less than five seconds to dissect just how hypocritical some of your Steelers have been over the last week.

Fact.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 12:33 AM
Yes suh, east coast mastuh suh!

This is the internet where it takes less than five seconds to dissect just how hypocritical some of your Steelers have been over the last week.

Fact.

I'm low on patience, and you fail to bring anything to this discussion.

Fact.

Want to know what else is fact? These refs suck. No teams are favored. Bad calls everywhere.

Fact.

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Nice take down of the scab refs in this column about last night's Pats-Ravens game

Here's what I think should happen. At the end of this farcical exercise in corporate avarice, and whenever he has determined that his ego has been sufficiently fluffed and his power sufficiently recognized throughout the land, commissioner Roger Goodell should take his entire 2012 salary and split every dime of it up among the players in the National Football League, because they are the ones he's putting at risk and they are the only ones keeping the NFL from descending into a form of opéra bouffe that would embarrass roller derby...

This was my first live exposure to Goodell's ongoing experiment in national consumer fraud, but it doesn't take very long to get used to the offbeat polyrhythms the experiment has forced upon the game. First, you have the play. Then you have the dramatic appeal to the scab officials. Then you have the overreaction to the dramatic appeal to the scab officials, which usually involves either head-butts or slap fights. ...

If, as is the case with almost everyone my age, you got used to the basic flow of a football game by watching it on TV every Sunday, the effect of what's going on out there this year is jarring. There is an almost palpable sense of ambivalence and uncertainty. Plays no longer end when they should. The fans in the stadiums — and the fans watching at home and, god knows, the gambling community in both places — have an obvious moment in which everybody wonders if something completely screwy is going to happen...

Ray Lewis, who's been around long enough not to care, was a little more direct. "That's another subject and I really don't want to go there and damage the win, but you can't do that to the game," he said. "You have to let the game take care of itself. The saddest thing about it is when you hear other people talk about it and say, those are the rules. Those aren't the rules. The rules of this game are — do whatever you have to do, by whatever means necessary.

(Not for nothing, but this is not a turn of phrase that Ray Lewis ought to be using, given events earlier in his life. We continue, however.):chuckle:...

The players are outraged. The coaches are outraged. The fans are outraged. Even the pet TV commentators seem marginally perturbed. ... It's their lives. It's their bodies, and people with the heart of Torrey Smith deserve better than to be made complicit in dishonest vaudeville.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8419514/replacement-refs-ravens-patriots-game

Steelerfreak58
09-24-2012, 06:36 PM
Goodell knows people will continue to watch and that is all that matters to him. With the amount of honest complaints he may even get more ratings because people will want to see it for themselves. Football fans will have a hard time walking away from it.

Until people shut off the televisions, or stop going to games Goodell has the league by the proverbial balls.

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 02:53 AM
Steelers' Larry Foote To Replacement Refs: 'You Should Go Kill Yourselves'

by Charlie Wilmoth • Sep 24, 2012

Deadspin notes KDKA's Jory Rand's reporting about Larry Foote telling the replacement refs, "You should go kill yourselves" after the Steelers' loss against the Raiders Sunday.

Larry Foote was the first Steeler to exit the field. I was set up nearby for our postgame show, and heard someone scream, "You should go kill yourselves. Y'all (bleep)ing suck!"

I leaned around the corner and saw Foote enter the Steelers room, while several officials, entering their room, craned their neck to see who it was that had yelled at them.

Foote had already left the room by the time media was allowed in so we were unable to ask him about it.

Foote was upset about a play in which the Raiders' Willie Smith took out Ziggy Hood's knees. Hood was injured on the play, and the Steelers were apoplectic. Hood managed to walk off the field, but his status is currently unclear.

The lack of calls on plays like these this season has been frustrating, but Foote's comments still went way over the line. We'll see whether the NFL has anything to say about them.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012/9/24/3383448/steelers-larry-foote-replacement-refs-kill-yourselves

steelerchad
09-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Last nights game was just the icing on the cake to an incredibly terrible week for the refs. This was the nightmare scenario for the league. After week 1, I thought the refs did an ok job. Week 2 was ridiculous, and I'm still dumbfounded by how bad week 3 was. Something has to be done.

I had hoped Seattle would win that game, but can't help but to feel bad for GB. It wasn't just the TD call at the end. The push by Tate in the endzone that wasn't called and the absolute mugging he gave earlier in the game that was actually called on the defense. Then there was the INT that got called back for roughing the passer. The guy dove to make a tackle on a runner outside of the pocket who was running with the ball when he dove.

I know if those calls were against the Steelers, I'd have a broken TV right now.

Fire Haley
09-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Goodell is pissing on his own shield.

you know I had to go to a Seattle board to see what's going on...Seattle fans think they were owed one

http://www.seahawks.net/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=67563133fef917e7b50b5b3b320575cf

If you think the regulars are better, then go back and watch our 2005 superbowl that was robbed from us

Simultaneous possession of the ball means the offense has the ball that's the rule. When an offensive player gets the ball in the endzone the play ends instantly, touchdown. BUT when the defender intercepts it the play isn't dead until he hits the ground. The defender caught the ball in the air but he hasn't completed the catch until he gets to the ground, ie. he doesn't officially have possession until he gets to the ground. If Tate gets 50 percent possession for even an instant before the packer comes to the ground with control then it's a seahawks TD because he only needs possession for an instant and the Packer needs it all the way through the catch.

It was not an interception. He did not have SOLE possession of the ball prior to hitting the ground. They showed the frontal view on the replay which clearly showed Tate get both hands on the ball prior to contact with the ground. It may not be the popular call but it was the correct call.

and my favorite

Seahawks win. Screw the rest of the universe. We are OWED this shit. Screw EVERYONE! I do not care! Sea!! hawks!!

]Simultaneous control; tie goes to the offense. Always has; always will. Screw everyone. We win! End of f'ing story. Call on your the field is final. We've Been told that same shit for f'ing DECADES!!!! From testeverde's helmet td to roethlisbergers. I've Been told to GET OVER IT, so everyone Else can f'ing get over it this time. Suck it up and get over it cupcake!

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2012, 08:12 AM
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/A3nDr-sCEAE-gll.jpg

Rachel Nichols
@Rachel__Nichols

If there was ever an official photo of this whole replacement ref debacle, this is it pic.twitter.com/5eIGjRdR

Peter King
@SI_PeterKing

One of the great disgraces in NFL history.

Tom E. Curran
@tomecurran

You know what's scary. The outcry and attention being devoted fills the NFL's sails with pride over how important "their" game is to us.

http://nfl.si.com/2012/09/25/golden-tate-touchdownreplacement-refs-packers-seahawks/?eref=sihp

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 08:18 AM
aside from the portion of their fan base that still forgets how many times their receivers dropped the ball in XL, I actually think they have one of the better fanbases - that is one helluva stadium and they represent quite well

Some of them just need to let go. We've been on the losing end of two Super Bowls, and both can be attributed to Neil throwing to the Cowboys secondary, and the Packers just being flat out ball-hawks in the last one. Do you see us feeling we are owed something? Nope.

Moving on . . . nobody is coming to the realization that the more horrible these replacement refs look, the more the actual refs are going to dig their heels in. They have taken the position, "you need us more than we need you" - I personally don't see this getting done unless Goodell and co. just throw up their hands and give them what they want.

RE: The NFL is going to respond to last night's game. Wanna take bets as to what their response will be? My bet is "Rule # bla bla bla states this. The refs made the right call according to this rule. The end." Guarantee it. No way will they call out the idiots they put in place. Same boilerplate answers from the New NFL. Someday, someone is going to do a PR thesis on "The Decaying Brand of the NFL from 2007 - Present"

This game is vastly different from the one we saw just 5 seasons ago. I'd say the XL Steelers are the epitome of what the game once was.
Goodell Needs to Go:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1346993-nfl-should-this-season-be-the-end-of-the-roger-goodell-era

Blacksburg Zach
02-18-2013, 09:27 AM
"Deebee Generator offering Diesel Generator on Hire, Diesel Generator for rent, D.G. Set Hiring, Generator rentals, Mobile Soundproof D.G Set Hire, Diesel Generator rental Service provider and Soundproof Generator Hire in Bangalore, India" (http://www.deebeegenerator.com)

What an insightful post. Aren't spam bots just the greatest?