PDA

View Full Version : Should Dwyer Start Ove Redman????

Goldsteel86
09-16-2012, 08:14 PM
If I had my say for one game I would say yes, just because of the way Dwyer attacks the line of scrimmage, I say start Dwyer! :tt03:

pittpete
09-16-2012, 08:17 PM
Does it really matter who starts except to Redman and Dwyer?

OX1947
09-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Doesnt matter. It is running back by committee the entire year.

Goldsteel86
09-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Does it really matter who starts except to Redman and Dwyer?

It depends, do you want a back that attacks the line or someone who waits and waits, and waits, eventually leading to a negative play. Dwyer seems to fire the OL up when he runs the ball, the OL seems to be revived with a spark of life, I say give him a shot.

pittpete
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
In all honesty there was not much running room for either today
Based off this game, I'd say the line needs to step it up in the run game
Am I missing something because the run lanes were not there until late?

Goldsteel86
09-16-2012, 08:26 PM
In all honesty there was not much running room for either today
Based off this game, I'd say the line needs to step it up in the run game
Am I missing something because the run lanes were not there until late?

I love Redman don't get me wrong but Redman has tunnel vision sometimes he is a big back who doesn't necessairly keep that big body turned up field and those legs going, if he would hit the hole the same way he did last year and the same way Dwyer is this year he should start, until then let Dwyer continue to hit it hard.

pittpete
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Well, it could be a confidence booster for Dwyer and create a competition and incentive for Redman to go 110%

dyce23
09-16-2012, 08:32 PM
Dwyer looks serious this year. He seems to run with more determination, and he has no problem lower his shoulder. The O-Line DEF. needs to step up for either to have success, but I think Dwyer is the better back at this moment.

FrancoLambert
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM
Dwyer is noticeably more aggressive this year, especially when taking on contact and finishing his runs. He's also showing the ability to stay on his feet after contact.
I'd keep rotating Redman and Dwyer and give more carries to whoever is hotter that day.
I think it may end up being Dwyer more often than not. Seems like he's driven this year.

Bayz101
09-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Both Redman and Dwyer run tough, but I expect to see multiple running backs a game anyway.

SquirrelHillSteelNut
09-16-2012, 08:42 PM
i would like to see the combination of Dwyer and Redman more, nice changeup to confuse defenses keyed on one particular back. if Mendy is good on his return, then three styles is great for the running game. while i do like the air game, i still always fall back on my first true football love, straight up the middle baby. *shouts out to Franco, Frenchy, pre-coke Bam, Bus, and Willy P*

steelfury02
09-16-2012, 08:47 PM
It will be interesting to see how they further try to work Rainey in - as of now, he has had almost little to zero impact on the first 2 games

I'm not sure I have a preference - Dwyer seems like he is running with a chip on his shoulder, I actually thought Redman had a couple good runs tonight - so I'd be happy with either at this point - I just say go with the hot hand and change it up to give the other guy a rest

- Glad to see now draws out of shotgun (unless I missed one)
- Anyone else think Troy should rest next week too?

Millers the sh!t
09-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Both started running decent after the jets blew their load and clearly lost their passion before halftime.

steelfury02
09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
That offense looked more fired up with Tebow in - as soon as he took them mid-field+ I was starting to tense

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 08:52 PM
I rather have Harrison on the field to minimize the double teaming of Woodley. We have played well without Troy in the past. At times having him wander around where ever he feels like is a detriment and not always an advantage.
Without Troy the db's hold their positions, and provide coverage.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 08:53 PM
As far as the RB's go. We ran 48 yards? Right now who cares. But running 48 yards a game collectively isn't going to accomplish a whole lot.

tony hipchest
09-16-2012, 09:16 PM
Both started running decent after the jets blew their load and clearly lost their passion before halftime.the jets didnt "lose" their passion.

our defense ****ing punched them in the mouth and as they wobbled and hobbled off the field they realized they were in a man fight they could not win.

this game was called "imposing our will".

as for the backs, i like the split carries and all this will probably be a moot point when mendenhall returns in 2 games.(3 weeks).

CargoJon
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
As far as the RB's go. We ran 48 yards? Right now who cares. But running 48 yards a game collectively isn't going to accomplish a whole lot.

We won, which is more than say, the Saints can say, who rushed for 163 and passed for 300+. It's all about the W's.

FanSince72
09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
If I had my say for one game I would say yes, just because of the way Dwyer attacks the line of scrimmage, I say start Dwyer! :tt03:

I was thinking the same thing.

Mendy pauses,
Redman "spins" (and always to his left),
but Dwyer just goes where the opening is and it appears that unless someone actually sits on him, he's not really done running.

It's kind of spooky too that if Dwyer wore #36 he'd look like a young Jerome Bettis - especially after he bounces up from a tackle.

Or How 'bout Dwyer as a Tailback and Johnson can be his Fullback?

Then he'd REALLY look like Jerome!

mikegrimey
09-16-2012, 09:48 PM
A lot of y'all were dying for Redman to get the lead role the last 2 (for some 3) years. Now that he's got it you want to replace him 2 games in?

teegre
09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
1. Like Sanders & Brown as rookies: the one who practices better, starts.

2. Dwyer has looked better from 20 to 20. But, in the red-zone, especially goal-line, I like Redman.

3. More Rainey screens. If he doesn't drop that one... man!!!... he had acres of room. Keep it coming.

harrison'samonster
09-16-2012, 11:04 PM
We won, which is more than say, the Saints can say, who rushed for 163 and passed for 300+. It's all about the W's.

exactly! well put.

StainlessStill
09-16-2012, 11:07 PM
Dwyer runs more violently. Redman runs more patiently but has the same body structure of being low to the ground, which cause's problems. They are a nice compliment to each other. Dwyer does remind me of a mini-BUS. Quick feet but a very nice body of work and runs hard. Redman can break it and is always moving forward but is smarter when reading blocks.

I don't mind them splitting. Having Mendy back is kind of exciting me right now.

Fire Arians
09-16-2012, 11:59 PM
i like the combo, it's like the titans old 'smash and dash', except it's 'smash and smash' and neither is a huge douche bag like chris johnson

casteeler
09-17-2012, 01:02 AM
Agree with the combo! Dwyer looked beastly and Redman is more patient. Once Ben started throwing the ball all over the field the running game it helped the run and once DeCastro is back and hopefully Adams develops a bit this offense will gel:tt02:

Jpeezyiseternal
09-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Long story short: Yes

OX1947
09-17-2012, 02:43 AM
I am looking forward to having Mendy back after the bye week. And if DeCastro can come back at 100% in week 10 or something, that would add a lot to the run game. I believed before this season, that this may be Ben's best one ever, and I still think he can have it. If that is the case, having Mendy healthy and a potential all-pro at guard, it would really help the cause even more. This was the first game I can remember where all our offensive linemen didn't go out with some injury. That line needs be together in every game. Chemistry on the line IS important. I have never been a big chemistry person when it comes to winning, but the one area that it is important is the o-line.

Rick5895
09-17-2012, 04:46 AM
I liked Dwyers burst but the second effort from Redman was incredible , same for Dwyer. The O Line and running game stepped up when needed in the 4th quarter taking over 10 minutes off the clock and scoring the TD to make it 27-10. If we can finish games like that , yardage the first 3 quarters won't be such a big deal.

Galax Steeler
09-17-2012, 04:59 AM
I like Dwyer and Redman they both have different run styles and not to mention throw Mendy in there when he returns.

BowCatShot
09-17-2012, 07:53 AM
A lot of y'all were dying for Redman to get the lead role the last 2 (for some 3) years. Now that he's got it you want to replace him 2 games in?

We're fickle that way.

Jpeezyiseternal
09-18-2012, 01:42 AM
Redman just doesn't seem to explode like mendenhall has the potential to, and he doesn't run as strong and hard as dwyer does. Needless to say, I miss The Bus : (

Sean95m
09-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Dwyer has the most potential of the 3. Rememebr he was 1st round talent till he messed up in college. Mendenhall I like but we know what we will see out of week in and week out. I think Dwyer has the best upside.

steeltheone
09-18-2012, 02:44 AM
Dwyer has the most potential of the 3. Rememebr he was 1st round talent till he messed up in college. Mendenhall I like but we know what we will see out of week in and week out. I think Dwyer has the best upside.

Well, this is year number 3...Hope that 1st round talent surfaces soon!

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Looking to get ground game rolling

Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers have a long history of running backs producing 100-yard games, but so far in two games this season they havent averaged 100 yards rushing per game as a team, with only 54 rushes for 141 yards for a 2.6-yard average per carry.

We havent run the ball as well as we have liked, said Coach Mike Tomlin. Im not interested in assigning blame in that regard. I will take responsibility for it.

The reality is weve got room for growth. We need to tighten up our menu and lean on the things we are doing well. We need to block better and put the ball where it needs to be on a more consistent basis.

The Steelers have been without running back Rashard Mendenhall in the first two weeks, although Tomlin did say he would get more work in practice this week but his status for Sundays game on the road against the Oakland Raiders has not been determined. Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redmanhave shared the workload for the running game, with Dwyer averaging 3.4 yards per carry and Redman two yards per carry through two games.

We all have a hand in where our running game is right now, said Tomlin. I hope that we all have a hand in correcting it in the near future. I know it needs to be an asset for us moving forward, particularly as we move into a hostile environment like the one we are going into this weekend.

The Steelers were able to move the ball on the ground in the fourth quarter against the New York Jets at Heinz Field this past week, with eight rushing plays for 31 yards during a drive that was a little over 10 minutes and ended with a two-yard touchdown run by Redman.

Tomlin was pleased with the performance of the ground game on the drive, but not fully satisfied.

Im looking for more than that, said Tomlin. We were able to run the ball and possess the ball. I think we ran it six or seven times for right around 30 yards. Thats not what Im looking for. Im actually looking for better than that.

The Steelers passing game has accounted for 520 yards through two games, with Ben Roethlisberger completing 46 of 71 pass attempts.

The key now is to get the offense balanced, something Tomlin is confident will come in time.

I think in the long term we seek balance, said Tomlin. Its dangerous to look for those types of things at this juncture because were only two weeks, or eight quarters of football, into it. Over the long haul, absolutely we intend to strike a balance offensively and possess the ball and score. Its just probably a little early for us, at this point, to paint with a broad brush.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Looking-to-get-ground-game-rolling/7f26a810-43a1-4ed0-8882-7350c9c187ef

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-20-2012, 04:57 PM
You know, I watched the game again and some of those runs Redman was standing behind the the line of scrimmage shuffling his feet while there was no hole to run thru. Dare I say that some would call that "Dancing". :noidea:

Looks like Redman dances too much, but he's got no rythmn.

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
You know, I watched the game again and some of those runs Redman was standing behind the the line of scrimmage shuffling his feet while there was no hole to run thru. Dare I say that some would call that "Dancing". :noidea:

Looks like Redman dances too much, but he's got no rythmn.
everybody loves the backup...:applaudit:

only took em one game to hop off redmans nuts onto dwyers....http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/images/smilies/anon.gif

tony hipchest
09-20-2012, 06:20 PM
and did you see him spin into the endzone when he finally scored? he spins TOO much... i wish he'd lose that damn spin move.

wera176
09-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Whaaat? No way man, iirc, Mendenhall was the better back in college and (assuming he's recovered from his injury) is the better back now. I like Dwyer (and Redman) but neither one is the same class as Mendy. (IMO)

Mendy has put up decent numbers for us considering that he was running for an OC that DIDN'T EVEN RUN THE RUNNING PLAYS THEY PRACTICED the week before the game.

I believe that now that we have a real OC, people are going to see the Mendy we all expected when he was drafted...

No doubt though, Dwyer is on a mission right now and I love it! :thumbsup:

FrancoLambert
09-20-2012, 06:37 PM
Rotate them and give more carries to the hot hand on that particular day.
It stokes competition and forces more adjustments on the defense.
If our O-line steps up its game, both can be very productive.
Although his stats don't impress you, it's looking like Dwyer has a nice upside.
His style of running, power with more speed than Redman.

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2012, 06:38 PM
and did you see him spin into the endzone when he finally scored? he spins TOO much... i wish he'd lose that damn spin move.
i did indeed ...:mad:
between the dancing, getting hit behind the line, and spinning... NEXT

bring on dwyer !!!....then batch...then rainy..then sign whoever any other team cut....lather, rinse, repeat until we average 10 yds a carry..:tap:

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Dwyer has a nice upside.
His style of running, power with more speed than Redman.
but redman was supposed to be the upside...:noidea:

suddeness / glide > power / speed

Fire Arians
09-20-2012, 06:42 PM
i say run both of em, then we can nickname em method man and redman

Bayz101
09-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Alright. We'll get the Dwyer the start, and as soon as that happens, i'll countdown the time until a "Start Baron Batch" thread is created.

It's simple. The Backup's look good because the defense isn't always prepared for the skills in which they bring to the table. That's why Redman looked so good when Mendy was in.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-20-2012, 07:03 PM

Yes, I cant figure out if we should nickname him "Redspin", Danceman or "Sudden-spin and Slide"

tony hipchest
09-21-2012, 12:34 AM
Yes, I cant figure out if we should nickname him "Redspin", Danceman or "Sudden-spin and Slide"

:sofunny:

good thinkin... we do need a nickname for our running back duo-

qwzkxI6b9Go

redman dances and dwyer is money.... laundered money... that has been in the washer and dwyer.

...and steelerfans dont root for the person, they root for the laundry.

:tt04::tt::tt02::tt03:

ricardisimo
09-21-2012, 04:51 AM
everybody loves the backup...:applaudit:

only took em one game to hop off redmans nuts onto dwyers....http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/images/smilies/anon.gif
:rofl:

I cannot wait until Mendy comes back and spins his way back into everyone's hearts.

Hawaii 5-0
09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Steelers, Raiders search for running games

Posted: Saturday September 22, 2012
by SI.com

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - The Oakland Raiders and Pittsburgh Steelers spent the offseason implementing new offenses designed to rely heavily on running games that could take a little pressure off their passers.

Two weeks into the season, neither running game has gotten off the ground.

Despite having a healthy Darren McFadden for a change, the Raiders (0-2) go into Sunday's game against the Steelers (1-1) with the league's second worst rushing attack.

"You don't let it frustrate you. The saving grace is, you know McFadden is back there,'' Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer said. "He's one arm tackle away from breaking off a 40-, 50-yarder. He's got that potential, he's got that ability, he's done it before. We're going to stick with it. We're not frustrated. We're disappointed in ourselves for not executing it better but we're not going to let it frustrate us, we're not going to let it deter it from our goal.''

The Steelers haven't had much better luck running the ball so far this season in new coordinator Todd Haley's offense.

Pittsburgh has rushed for just 141 yards the first two weeks and averaged a paltry 2.6 yards per carry, putting more pressure on Ben Roethlisberger and the passing game to get things going.

"It's obviously been a little frustrating because that was the emphasis of the offseason, getting a new coordinator, is running the ball and being able to pound it,'' Roethlisberger said. "But it's not working quite this minute and things aren't going well.''

The Raiders have been much worse with just 68 yards rushing per game in losses to San Diego and Miami. For a team that has stressed being a run-first offense under coordinator Greg Knapp, it's not hard to figure why the offense has sputtered so much with a running game that can't get going.

McFadden, who missed the final nine games last season with a foot injury, is healthy but not productive. He has 54 yards on 26 carries as he once again has struggled while playing in a zone blocking system.

Knapp brought back the system the Raiders used in McFadden's first two seasons, which were filled with disappointments. McFadden emerged as one of the league's top backs once Hue Jackson brought his offense to Oakland that stressed more power running.

McFadden averaged 5.3 yards per carry under Jackson, compared to 3.7 in the other systems. The main difference has been the lack of big plays. He has also gone from having one of every 15 runs go for at least 20 yards to one of every 49.

"I just feel like going with the zone system is one of those situations where you're going to have to keep hitting it until you get going,'' McFadden said. "It's going to be 1 yard here or 2 yards there, but eventually it's going to start popping.''

The Steelers hope it's not this week.

"We know he's an explosive back and can go off at any time,'' defensive lineman Casey Hampton said. "We know that. We're very aware. We're not taking it for granted.''

Facing the Steelers stout defense has not usually been the tonic to cure struggling running games over the years. Pittsburgh has allowed the fewest yards rushing per game over the past 10 seasons because of its physical front and sure-tackling secondary.

In two games against the Steelers, McFadden has 39 yards on 19 carries.

"It's going to be a rough, tough fist fight out there,'' he said. "They are going to come in here with a hard-nose defense, and you know that's something you expect from the Steelers. We just have to go out there, and play our game, and stay on schedule.''

Roethlisberger has made up for the deficiencies in Pittsburgh's running game with sterling play on third downs. He has completed 19 of 25 passes for 251 yards, three touchdowns and a passer rating of 146.8 on third down, allowing Pittsburgh to overcome the long yardage situations created by the lack of a running game.

The Steelers had been hoping to get a boost Sunday with the possible return of starter Rashard Mendenhall, who had his practice workload increase throughout the week. But he was eventually ruled out against the Raiders. He hasn't played since injuring his right knee in last season's finale against Cleveland.

With Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman sharing the load, the Steelers have had a league-worst 18.5 percent of their runs go for negative yards.

A boost could come from playing a Raiders team that allowed 263 yards rushing last week to Miami, including 190 in the second half.

"It would probably help if we had Reggie Bush, but we don't,'' Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "They played to their strengths and did it well and were able to get the things done that they desired to do, but obviously we have our personality and we're going to try to stay within that and play to that.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz27C6tqqD8

ricardisimo
09-22-2012, 01:54 PM
Steelers, Raiders search for running games

"It would probably help if we had Reggie Bush, but we don't,'' Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "They played to their strengths and did it well and were able to get the things done that they desired to do, but obviously we have our personality and we're going to try to stay within that and play to that.''

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz27C6tqqD8
:jawdrop: That is coldblooded... but it might just be the motivation Redman needs.

GoFor7
09-22-2012, 02:42 PM
:jawdrop: That is coldblooded... but it might just be the motivation Redman needs.

He needs to stop tap dancing and looking hesitant more than anything else.

TheVet
09-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Running backs need holes, and holes are created by offensive lines. And we still don't have one of those.

The Tomlin quote is annoying, to say the least - especially with his "above the line" crap. Why not call out the OL, Mike? Because it would do no good, and everybody knows it. Those guys are doing their best, but most of them don't belong on an NFL line.

So let's all just pretend that one of the backs will be the silver bullet while we wait for DD, and hope that Adams progresses.

In the meantime, maybe Colon can help out by learning the snap count and practicing pulling this week. Maybe Gilbert can try to remember what he figured out as a rookie. Maybe Foster could decide to get tough.

God, Max Starks might be our second best lineman right now. Unreal.

Hawaii 5-0
09-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Why not call out the OL, Mike? Because it would do no good, and everybody knows it. Those guys are doing their best, but most of them don't belong on an NFL line.

I think most of them belong on an NFL line, just not as starters...

TheVet
09-23-2012, 03:20 AM
Well yes, that's really what I mean. We have a bunch of reasonable depth guys, but unfortunately they're our starting line ... once again.

Geeze, almost every play it's a defensive party in our backfield, year after year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I think most of them belong on an NFL line, just not as starters...

Colon, Pouncey, Gilbert, Starks can and have started productively in this league. DeCastro was supposed to be the upgrade and will be. I think the line is getting things together, but the spots of Foster and Starks can be improved.