PDA

View Full Version : 331 Yards Of Offense, 27 Points.

Edman
09-16-2012, 09:03 PM
That was the Steelers Offense today. They dominated the TOP again, too.

331 Yards of Total Offense, but they scored 27 Points. None of them off of Turnovers from the Defense either. The D had no turnovers, BTW.

Remember in Ye Old Days of Arians Offense when the Steelers Offense would just rack up loads of yardage but only wound up with 20 points or less? It's not about Yards, it's about Scoring Points. This is the Todd Haley Offense, folks. That 10 Minute Drive to basically ice the game was a thing of beauty. The Offense finally taking control instead of sitting back and letting the Defense hold a lead.

tony hipchest
09-16-2012, 09:27 PM
i saw a legitimate 4 minute offense out there today, and for 2 weeks in a row, heath miller is finally being used like the weapon he is inside the 10 yard line.

CargoJon
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Heath has been a stud this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
Yeah, but what if Haley went to 5 wide and threw it all day instead of being "predictible" on offense. Its a scoring league now, not a possession league and all the yinzers living in the 70's are just kidding themselves if they think that this offense is going to be successful..

:sarcasm:

Edman
09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
I emphasize...

The Offense scored 27 Points all on their own today. When was the last time a Steelers Offense ever did that? Ever? BTW, the Jets D is no slouch. Ben usually struggles against them. Ben had his best game yet against the Jets Defense who usually shuts him down. Even in the AFC Title game he was shut down.

Yes, all hail 1970's Football.

SteelCity4Life
09-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I emphasize...

The Offense scored 27 Points all on their own today. When was the last time a Steelers Offense ever did that? Ever? BTW, the Jets D is no slouch. Ben usually struggles against them. Ben had his best game yet against the Jets Defense who usually shuts him down. Even in the AFC Title game he was shut down.

Yes, all hail 1970's Football.

He has a point. Our offense couldn't score jack s- last year. The emphasis is on Haley using our weapons better. That he did!

However, I'd like to point out that we lead in the last AFC game against the Jets, they caught up, and a new set of downs thanks to Ben forced Rex Ryan to throw his headset down in anger and defeat. :chuckle:

Curtain_of_Steel
09-16-2012, 09:58 PM
Agree there Tony Hip, Heath needs to be used as such, he is a huge asset in the clutch. But than again we need the Oline to perform, or at least show up so Heath can go out more. Ben was lucky he didnt have 10 sacks today if he didnt lube himself up with oil prior to the game he wouldve been down quite a bit more.

Edman
09-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Agree there Tony Hip, Heath needs to be used as such, he is a huge asset in the clutch. But than again we need the Oline to perform, or at least show up so Heath can go out more. Ben was lucky he didnt have 10 sacks today if he didnt lube himself up with oil prior to the game he wouldve been down quite a bit more.

Pressure, Blitzing, and Sacks are a staple of Ryan Defenses. The Steelers O-Line was not going to hold off the Jets rush.

What was telling is that Ben stood tough against the Jets blitz and still burned them. Not by scrambling, but moving around in the pocket. They couldn't stop the Steelers Offense when it counted. 27 points and a 10 minute TD drive to put the game away tells it all. Even last week Ben was unrattled by the Broncos Vaunted Pass Rush.

In the past the Steelers Offense was helpless against an Aggressive Blitz-heavy Defense because the Arians Offense would always look for the big gain. So tons of 7 step drops and long-developing routes relying on Ben's improvising and athleticism to make things happen. Now, improvising is secondary. Ben is playing smarter and the O-Line is playing much better. We're seeing an extra dimension to Ben R that will make him even more dangerous.

zcoop
09-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Pressure, Blitzing, and Sacks are a staple of Ryan Defenses. The Steelers O-Line was not going to hold off the Jets rush.

What was telling is that Ben stood tough against the Jets blitz and still burned them. Not by scrambling, but moving around in the pocket. They couldn't stop the Steelers Offense when it counted. 27 points and a 10 minute TD drive to put the game away tells it all. Even last week Ben was unrattled by the Broncos Vaunted Pass Rush.

In the past the Steelers Offense was helpless against an Aggressive Blitz-heavy Defense because the Arians Offense would always look for the big gain. So tons of 7 step drops and long-developing routes relying on Ben's improvising and athleticism to make things happen. Now, improvising is secondary. Ben is playing smarter and the O-Line is playing much better. We're seeing an extra dimension to Ben R that will make him even more dangerous.

I can agree with that and thank God Rivis was out too.

Steelers5895
09-16-2012, 11:08 PM
no Revis. Its a different game with him playing. Jets play a whole different attack defense with the confidence of having Revis covering.

StainlessStill
09-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Am I the only one to think that Revis wouldn't have made a difference? I mean, he would have been a presence for us to game plan on, but I can't ever recall Revis ever doing much against us in years past. We were tight today. Ben was on. Even with Revis in there, we still pull this "W" off in convincing fashion.

OX1947
09-16-2012, 11:48 PM
If the Steelers are to have a chance at winning it all, they will need luck. Luck of health to be exact. If they go into the playoffs healthy, there is a huge chance. And for the love of god, please, win the division so we do not have to go to (bleep) Denver.

StainlessStill
09-16-2012, 11:50 PM
^This.

madtowndrunkard
09-16-2012, 11:59 PM
So far I love the offense. MUCH less mistake prone.... we give the opponents defense less opportunities to make plays. This is how you win.. 9 x out of 10 the team with the fewest mistakes wins. Arians offense asked too much of our players...it was mistake prone...and gave the opponents opportunities to make big plays way too often.

Efficiency creates wins, mistakes create losses - PERIOD.

I will say our run defense scares he hell out of me. The jets offense was having its way with us in the first quarter. Then all of a sudden the Jets were taken away from what was working and our offense started chewing clock.

Fire Arians
09-17-2012, 12:05 AM
no Revis. Its a different game with him playing. Jets play a whole different attack defense with the confidence of having Revis covering.

true, revis out is a big reason why ben had as much success as he did, however, the game plan was awesome because haley attacked a weakness rather than running plays by script like BA did

SquirrelHillSteelNut
09-17-2012, 12:07 AM
i'll take 27 points anyday, and a healthy crew of the Black and Gold. hell yeahhh!!!:tt04:

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 01:57 AM
Steelers shut down Jets in second half

Posted by Josh Alper on September 16, 2012

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/152098181.jpg?w=250

The Jets offensive breakthrough of last week lasted into the second quarter of Sunday’s game with the Steelers.

They led 10-6 after two scoring drives in two tries and looked fairly sharp on their way up and down the field in both cases. Things came screeching to a halt at that point, however. Sanchez would complete just 5-of-19 passes from that point and the Jets barely moved the ball while the Steelers put things together for a 27-10 win that evened their record at 1-1.

Pittsburgh’s pass rush made a big difference in the game. They sacked Sanchez twice and provided a lot more pressure than Buffalo could muster in the opener. Sanchez has never played well when faced with a lot of pressure and Sunday was no different as his throws lost accuracy in the face of Pittsburgh’s defense. It looked for a moment like Tim Tebow, who didn’t play at all on offense in the first half, might spark the team with a 22-yard run on his first play in the third quarter, but the Jets quickly went back to running on the treadmill.

The Steelers, meanwhile, did what we’re used to seeing the Steelers do on offense. Ben Roethlisberger kept plays alive long enough to make completions down the field, including a 37-yard touchdown to Mike Wallace that saw Antonio Cromartie misplay what looked like a desperate heave into the end zone. The Steelers then closed out the game with a 10:12 drive that resulted in an Isaac Redman score. That drive was helped by a botched call by the officials, one of two egregious errors in the game, but the Jets defense was out of gas and the only thing that might have changed was the final score.

Pittsburgh took the lead just before halftime, but they really took control of the game in the second half and the Jets didn’t have much of a chance once they did.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/16/steelers-shut-down-jets-in-second-half/

Ricco Suavez
09-17-2012, 06:59 AM
Lets just temper these feel good highs about our offense. We are still progressing, we still have a sub-par line, and while scoring 27 this week we scored 19 last week. This "new" offense is still going to be shaky at times. Am i the only one who is seeing that this offense only works if Ben keeps playing at a high level. The run game was once again ineffective as far as yardage for much of 3 quarters, only after the Jets were worn out in the 4th did I see some good runs. BTW most of those runs were on the back more than the line. What I saw different this week from last was the way in which Haley mixed up his runs and passes. This week it was more pass on early downs and then on 2nd and 3 or 2nd and 4 we had chances to run or pass. Last week we where not as bad as most would think, and we are likely not as good as most would hope this week.

lardlad
09-17-2012, 07:46 AM
So far I love the offense. MUCH less mistake prone.... we give the opponents defense less opportunities to make plays. This is how you win.. 9 x out of 10 the team with the fewest mistakes wins. Arians offense asked too much of our players...it was mistake prone...and gave the opponents opportunities to make big plays way too often.

Efficiency creates wins, mistakes create losses - PERIOD.

I will say our run defense scares he hell out of me. The jets offense was having its way with us in the first quarter. Then all of a sudden the Jets were taken away from what was working and our offense started chewing clock.

Word.

lardlad
09-17-2012, 07:55 AM
Lets just temper these feel good highs about our offense. We are still progressing, we still have a sub-par line, and while scoring 27 this week we scored 19 last week. This "new" offense is still going to be shaky at times. Am i the only one who is seeing that this offense only works if Ben keeps playing at a high level. The run game was once again ineffective as far as yardage for much of 3 quarters, only after the Jets were worn out in the 4th did I see some good runs. BTW most of those runs were on the back more than the line. What I saw different this week from last was the way in which Haley mixed up his runs and passes. This week it was more pass on early downs and then on 2nd and 3 or 2nd and 4 we had chances to run or pass. Last week we where not as bad as most would think, and we are likely not as good as most would hope this week.

Yeah Ben played well, but about what you expect from him. I honestly think the difference was being able to run in the fourth. What ever you want to attribute that to. The jets wanted nothing to do with our runners at the end of the game. I think what run game did wont show up on paper. We did a lot in the fourth that the jets wouldnt have let happen in the first qtr.

Kanata-Steeler
09-17-2012, 08:17 AM
The Offense played very good, and so did our D, with the crowd, :) , after the 1st quarter or so.

MeanGee2047
09-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Had a problem with the gadget running play for a loss when the Jets were on their heels due to the passing game....other than that...Haley and Ben called a good game....

jiminpa
09-17-2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah Ben played well, but about what you expect from him. I honestly think the difference was being able to run in the fourth. What ever you want to attribute that to. The jets wanted nothing to do with our runners at the end of the game. I think what run game did wont show up on paper. We did a lot in the fourth that the jets wouldnt have let happen in the first qtr.This, and remember the offense is just learning to play professional football after five years of Ben drawing plays in the chalk lines in the huddle. It may take them a few weeks to hit stride. I like the improvement from last week to this week.

Hawaii 5-0
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Steelers Report Card: Offense wakes up to dominate Jets

By Chuck Finder | CBSSports.com
September 17, 2012

The absences of two of the past four defensive players of the year hardly made a ripple, what with James Harrison (knee) and Troy Polamalu (calf) ailing. What changed the tide for the Steelers was the offense behind a 24-for-31 Ben Roethlisberger gobbling up 36˝ minutes of possession time and scoring TDs on half of its final six possessions. In fact, the offense hardly gave the New York Jets much of a chance in the second half of this 27-10 spanking Sunday.

Offense: B-minus. For the second consecutive game, the Steelers failed to score touchdowns on their first couple of deep drives, failed to capitalize on field possession or clock-consuming marches for 2˝ quarters. On Sunday, though, they eventually awoke from that slumber. They did it with passes to running backs and tight ends (8 of 24 completions total). They did it without a running game (66 yards on 28 carries, a measly 2.4 yards per). Mostly, this triumph was owed to the offensive line's ability to protect Roethlisberger decently, despite its inability to create much running room, and Roethlisberger's pinpoint passing (125.1 rating).

Defense: B-plus. Without Harrison and Polamalu, the defense allowed the Jets scores on their opening pair of possessions and a 10-6 lead. Yet with steady pressure, including a hard clout by linebacker Lawrence Timmons, the Steelers caused Mark Sanchez to go from 4 for 5 for 80 yards to 6 for 22 for 58 yards the rest of the way. Ryan Clark topped them with eight tackles and played a dynamic role, shifting between free and strong safetys. Can he do that when Polamalu returns?

Special teams: B-plus. They kept Jeremy Kerley from scoring a TD return, which is more than Buffalo could muster. Rookie Drew Butler got three punts inside the 20, and two at the 10 or closer, all the while collecting a 39.8-yard net. Shaun Suisham remained perfect on field goals, though his 45-yard line drives Sunday looked to be near his max distance. And special teams co-coach Mike Tomlin allowed rookie Chris Rainey to return kickoffs at home in Heinz Field, but will he let him Sunday in Oakland and beyond?

Coaching: B-minus. It took a couple of Jets offensive possessions for the defense to either catch up or merely settle its overanxious ways, what with Clark -- who sat out the Denver game -- admitting he zealously bit on every Sanchez fake the first two drives. All of the Steelers' 10 penalties for 107 yards can't be ascribed simply to replacement officials. How will the Steelers play Sunday at an 0-2 Oakland with a bye week behind that?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nfl-rapidreports/20211026/steelers-report-card-offense-wakes-up-to-dominate-jets

Steelerfreak58
09-17-2012, 03:24 PM
Good assessment

Ricco Suavez
09-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I am not knocking the Offense, but I just think we should take yesterdays game for what it was. We still did not run well, sorry but 28 attempts for 66 yards not going to get it done in this league on a regular bases. To say Ben played well is an understatement, 24-31 275 2 TDs is an outstanding afternoon. If we continue to run at this rate then Ben and the receivers are going to have to come up big every game. I was not down on them last week and not down this week especially after a win, but this everything is rosy now is a pipe dream. We are still a long way from running the ball effective. One series late in the game and suddenly we are the Steelers of old and Redman or Dwyer is the second coming of Bettis. I just think we need to not set us up for another big disappointment when we lose another game and its all Ben's fault cause he cannot pull out a win. Haley did a much better job yesterday of mixing the run and not putting his QB in obvious passing situations on 3rd and long.

Fire Arians
09-17-2012, 06:34 PM
can't wait till mendenhall is back and healthy, i think he can do well in this offensive scheme we have

Ricco Suavez
09-17-2012, 07:56 PM
I like the talk that we ran better this week , or we did not abandon the run like we did last week. Truth we ran 2 times more this week than last, yet we run for 9 yards less. Our running game is no better than last year, our Time of possession is likely first in the league this year, but it was last year also. This offense is not there yet, I want to emphasis that. We won against a middle of the pack team, we play a cellar dweller this week. All this talk of a renewed run attack is overboard to say the least. Enjoy the win, enjoy some of the finer aspects that the team did better, but we are far from a top ten offense yet. And while I prepare myself for an onslaught of being called an Arians lover, let me add more fuel. IMO we need to throw more downfield, that's right you heard correctly. I said we need to throw some deep routes more often. I see defenses already not respecting the deep ball and coming up to stop most if not all runs. The more we target Heath and the RBs out of the backfield as well as the short routes underneath we will see more men closer to the line. We are going to have to take some shots downfield to loosen up the defense. I believe this group can get it done, not to the tune of 30ppg but enough to take some pressure off an aging defense. I believe we can run somewhat better, but not like most on here want and not with the current O-Line. I like what Haley is doing with the TE and RB as pass catchers, I liked this weeks mix of pass, run, pass instead of run, run, pass. What I liked most of all is Ben played smart, turnover free, and efficient passer. Ben is the key, we go as Ben goes and whether you like him or not, it is the truth.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-17-2012, 08:58 PM
I think right now, they are using the running game merely as a change of pace and to minimize the number of hits that Ben is taking. And it is working.

Under both coordinators, we found ourselves in a lot of 3rd and longs, but the difference right now, is that the RBs are taking some of those hits for Ben on 1st and 2nd down, whereas before, those were QB hurries, hits, and sacks.

We are still primarily a passing offense, but Haley is using the ground game effectively to keep the defenses honest, and to wear them out.

The stat sheet will never show what the Steelers running game did to the Jets on Sunday, but watching the tape, they were gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter, having to stop Redman consistently, while dealing with what Ben can bring. While our running game managed a paltry 2.5 ypc, the Jets' defense looked like it wanted to have no part of dealing with Redman anymore by the end of the 4th quarter.

I like what I am seeing, and this offense is only going to get better. The Oline is STARTING to gel, Haley is starting to get comfortable with what he has to work with, and he is showing a dedication to running the ball, even if it is not burning off 30 yarders.

Edman
09-17-2012, 09:22 PM
I am not knocking the Offense, but I just think we should take yesterdays game for what it was. We still did not run well, sorry but 28 attempts for 66 yards not going to get it done in this league on a regular bases. To say Ben played well is an understatement, 24-31 275 2 TDs is an outstanding afternoon. If we continue to run at this rate then Ben and the receivers are going to have to come up big every game. I was not down on them last week and not down this week especially after a win, but this everything is rosy now is a pipe dream. We are still a long way from running the ball effective. One series late in the game and suddenly we are the Steelers of old and Redman or Dwyer is the second coming of Bettis. I just think we need to not set us up for another big disappointment when we lose another game and its all Ben's fault cause he cannot pull out a win. Haley did a much better job yesterday of mixing the run and not putting his QB in obvious passing situations on 3rd and long.

No, we're not saying everything is peachy perfect, but we're seeing some encouraging glimpses. This Offense will run into some brick walls and growing pains every now and then, and our run game is missing, but in two games this offense is already a drastic improvement over the Arians Offense.

Ricco Suavez
09-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Fair post, if most will look at it that way. I like the way we are headed also, just cautioning against a post game win high. We still have a ton of work to do to have a decent run game. I believe the run can help the pass, and vice versa. I am anxious to see how Mendy looks compared to Redd and Dwyer. I am even more anxious to see how Decastro would help this line. I would like to see us open it up some more as Ben and the Receivers, Backs, And TE's become more comfortable in the new scheme. I am hoping that JHs return has an impact on the Defense also. Sanchez is a middle of the league QB and he did not look good beyond the first quarter, but we play alot of good Qbs this season and it remains to be seen if our secondary can hold up without some pressure put on opposing QBs.

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 02:37 AM
Steelers Notebook: Running game remains just a bit out of step

September 17, 2012
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers improved to 1-1 after their 27-10 victory against the New York Jets Sunday at Heinz Field, but after two games they're still searching for a running game.

After rushing for 75 yards on 26 carries in the opening-week loss at Denver, the Steelers rushed for just 66 yards on 28 carries against the Jets.

The Steelers are averaging just 2.6 yards per carry this season. The leading rusher Sunday was Jonathan Dwyer, who had 28 yards on 12 carries.

The Steelers had six negative run plays, including four on their first two drives when they settled for field goals.

"I take some responsibility for that," said Willie Colon, the starting left guard who is making the transition after playing right tackle for the past six years. "I wasn't clean on a lot of my pulls. We have to be a lot more efficient mechanically up front. Those are all things that will come."

The alarming aspect of those negative yardage plays was the amount of yardage lost. Isaac Redman was tackled for a 7-yard loss on the second play from scrimmage. Later in the drive on second-and-four, he was tackled for a 3-yard loss. The Steelers had to settle for a field goal.

In the third quarter, Dwyer was tackled for a 6-yard loss on second-and-10. That play did not hurt the Steelers because quarterback Ben Roethlisberger threw a 37-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on third-and-16 to make the score 20-10.

The line did go out on a high note when the offense possessed the ball for a 14-play, 75-yard drive that ate up 10:13 in the fourth quarter. That drive culminated with a Redman 2-yard touchdown run that made the score 27-10.

On that drive the running backs accounted for 29 yards, nearly half of the game's total rushing yards.

"When it came down to it the offensive line played a good game," Dwyer said. "We had some big plays in the passing game that helped us have holes. At the end of the day, that's when it counts. You want to close the game out. We made it count. We stepped up to the challenge."

Milestone for Ben

Roethlisberger became the second quarterback in franchise history to throw for 27,000 yards, joining Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw, who finished his career with 27,989. With his 275 yards passing Sunday, Roethlisberger has thrown for 27,099 career yards. Roethlisberger went over the 27,000 threshold on the 37-yard touchdown pass to Wallace.

"It's an awesome honor with this franchise's storied history and tradition," Roethlisberger said. "It is humbling, and I have to thank all of the guys who caught balls for me. There are too many to name, but I thank them all along with the line. It's neat, but to me winning the game is the bigger deal."

An early-season trend in new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's offense has been Roethlisberger spreading the wealth among his receivers. He completed passes to 10 players Sunday. Antonio Brown led the team with seven catches for 79 yards and Wallace had five for 74.

Eight players caught passes from Roethlisberger against Denver.

"You have to get used to that," Wallace said. "Sometimes you're so used to getting all the targets. You just have to keep your head in the game. We have so many good players. It's hard for everyone to get the ball.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-notebook-running-game-remains-just-a-bit-out-of-step-653725/#ixzz26nCR8Bid

bornaSteelersfan
09-18-2012, 07:09 AM
While the running game may not be in full gear, yet, there were some glimpses of effectiveness. Staying with the running game keeps offenses honest and opens up Ben for some incredible play-action passes. It also clearly wore down the Jets' defense towards the end when it finally worked. We have a severely diminished O-line (as usual) and that definitely has an effect on the efficieny of the run. I also liked some of the tricky plays that were called. Even though they didn't work at the time, it kept the defense guessing. We were able to put away the game with the run; something clearly lacking in the Arian years.

Stairway to 7
09-18-2012, 07:12 AM
I think right now, they are using the running game merely as a change of pace and to minimize the number of hits that Ben is taking. And it is working.

Under both coordinators, we found ourselves in a lot of 3rd and longs, but the difference right now, is that the RBs are taking some of those hits for Ben on 1st and 2nd down, whereas before, those were QB hurries, hits, and sacks.

We are still primarily a passing offense, but Haley is using the ground game effectively to keep the defenses honest, and to wear them out.

The stat sheet will never show what the Steelers running game did to the Jets on Sunday, but watching the tape, they were gassed by the middle of the 3rd quarter, having to stop Redman consistently, while dealing with what Ben can bring. While our running game managed a paltry 2.5 ypc, the Jets' defense looked like it wanted to have no part of dealing with Redman anymore by the end of the 4th quarter.

I like what I am seeing, and this offense is only going to get better. The Oline is STARTING to gel, Haley is starting to get comfortable with what he has to work with, and he is showing a dedication to running the ball, even if it is not burning off 30 yarders.

Exactly, the run game was used to kill the will of the defense. Had they been behind they would have have had that option though, a 2.4 YPC will force you to pass when behind, when in front with bruising backs it's ok.

Haley is light years ahead of BA, I didn't like the slow developing run plays, they make no sense with a poor o-line, but he's looking after Ben better, and the bubble screen 5 times a game is dead.

We're going to win THROWING THE BALL, but if we can get 80-100 yards at 3.-3.5 YPC we're a top 5 offense.

We've been awesome on 3rd down.

The weapons we have are as good as anyone in the league. The 3 WR's, plus a steady 4th option, Heath Miller, and a stable of four backs, one of which has not played yet, and Rainey who has a ton of speed gives us a ton of options.

Any OFF-CO should be creaming his pants.

If we could just be an average o-line this offense would fly.