PDA

View Full Version : 7/30 Steelers Practice Report

Lukin83
08-01-2006, 11:32 AM
I write for a fantasy football site. Living in Latrobe, I am a frequent visitor of Steelers Training Camp, so I am here to offer my take on the happenings at Coach Cowher. Visit the link below for access to my camp pictures.

The crowd at Steelers' Training Camp today was the biggest one I have ever seen. St. Vincent College, where camp takes place, has added a football program and has added another practice field to make a total of four on campus. This resulted in the practice being much more spread out and harder to view from one specific vantage point. The following is an overview of what I was able to notice from my spot on the Latrobe hillside. You can view pictures of the day HERE.

Quarterbacks

Ben Roethlisberger obviously received an impressive greeting from the throngs of spectators encompassing the St. Vincent practice fields. I didn?t get a good look at him throwing or doing much else for that matter. Omar Jacobs was the only quarterback I saw do any work and that was in the couple of minutes he stayed after practice to work with a couple of the receivers. I honestly didn?t get a great look at him either, although the crowd sounded impressed with his aerial display.

Runningback

I saw nothing from the backs today. They were on the far field all day and none of them stayed after practice to work.

Wide Receiver

Hines Ward did not practice, but made his way to the VIP tent after practice to mingle with the fans and sign some autographs. I didn?t get a chance to see who lined up as the starting receivers, nor did I get a chance to actually watch them. Walter Young did not have pads on, but worked with one-on-one with a coach on his route running and receiving. Willie Reid and Sean Morey stayed after practice to work with Omar Jacobs and catch passes from the JUGS machine. Both displayed good hands in their post-practice workouts.

Tight End

Heath Miller was one of the first players on the field for practice and fielded punts for the punters while awaiting the start of practice. Both he and Jerame Tuman received praise from the crowd during blocking drills, as both showed great power when driving the sled. Isaac Smolko had trouble staying low in his blocks and the coaches let him know that they were not happy.

Offensive Line

I saw nothing from the offensive line today. Evidently, they were hanging out with the runningbacks all day.

Defensive Line

The defensive lineman were hard to make out across three football fields, but I got to see them run a pass rush drill. Aaron Smith stole the show as he blew through the bags, utilizing the swim move. Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel also excelled and drew praise from the crowd. Shaun Nua had trouble keeping his feet and tripped after punching the final bag. The crowd mockingly cheered him after he shined in his second attempt.

Linebackers

I didn?t get to see much of the backers. They were practicing parallel to the defensive lineman and I had to choose one of the two to watch. I?ll see if I can get more on the linebackers tomorrow.

Defensive Backs

Ike Taylor and DeShea Townsend lined up as the starting corners. I couldn?t see who lined up beside Troy Polamalu at safety. One of the third stringers picked off a coach?s pass in drills, but I couldn?t identify the culprit. Polamalu stayed after practice to work on his backpedal and talk with some fans.

Special Teams

Jeff Reed booted a 60-yard field goal near the end of practice, wowing the enthusiastic crowd. He missed a slightly shorterone earlier in the day. The other kicker, Mark Brubaker did not attempt a field goal over 40 yards. Chris Gardocki was consistent with his punts, but I was mainly watching the other punter. I?m not sure who he was because he was wearing #6 and there is no #6listed on any Steelers? roster I have seen. He had a strong leg, but his accuracy and hangtime were both inconsistent. He definitely has the capability of being an NFL punter though. Willie Reid, Lee Mays, Cedrick Wilson, Isaac West, Eugene Baker, and Ricardo Colclough fielded punts in the Sunday afternoon sun. The punters were kicking the ball all over the field and the return men were struggling to get a clean handle on the ball. Colclough was particularly unimpressive, muffing three punts.

Luke?s 53-Man Roster Projection

QB1 Ben Roethlisberger
QB2 Charlie Batch
QB3 Omar Jacobs
RB1 Willie Parker
RB2 Duce Staley
RB3 Verron Haynes
RB4 Cedric Humes
FB1 Dan Kreider
WR1 Hines Ward
WR2 Cedrick Wilson
WR3 Santonio Holmes