PDA

View Full Version : John Clayton ESPN - Raiders secondary Is awful

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 07:28 AM
Hopefully the Steelers coaches will not screw around "establishing the run" for the first several series in Oakland next Sunday after they break down the Raiders-Dolphins game film

John Clayton at ESPN has this nugget on the Raiders secondary

No wonder the Oakland Raiders gave up 200 passing yards and 35 points to rookie Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins. When the Raiders put cornerback Ron Bartell on injured reserve, they had five completely new cornerbacks on the roster. Pat Lee and Shawntae Spencer started. They had combined salaries of $2.245 million. The combined salaries of the other three corners is $1.905 million. A good third corner gets $4 million.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/lastcall1202/john-clayton-last-call

teegre
09-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Every week, in my FF league,  I have to play the game of: start AB  or  start Wallace?  

So... this week, I should start BOTH... yes?  

I foresee a "Nicks & Cruz from yesterday" type of day for AB & Wallace next week (ie both WRs nearing 200 yards receiving).  

Millers the sh!t
09-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Hopefully the Steelers coaches will not screw around "establishing the run" for the first several series in Oakland next Sunday after they break down the Raiders-Dolphins game film

John Clayton at ESPN has this nugget on the Raiders secondary

No wonder the Oakland Raiders gave up 200 passing yards and 35 points to rookie Ryan Tannehill and the Miami Dolphins. When the Raiders put cornerback Ron Bartell on injured reserve, they had five completely new cornerbacks on the roster. Pat Lee and Shawntae Spencer started. They had combined salaries of $2.245 million. The combined salaries of the other three corners is $1.905 million. A good third corner gets $4 million.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/lastcall1202/john-clayton-last-call

Yes I hope we catch a quick lead, and then run run run run run and run some more. We must improve our running game, and there is only one way of doing it at this point. Run run run....

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM

Everybody knows that the Raiders secondary is horrible and everybody knows the easiest way the Steelers can beat them is shredding their secondary with an air attack. The Raiders know this, so I KNOW they will spend all week of practice working on defending our passing game, therefore I will devise a game plan with virtually no passing and 50+ runs. THAT'LL trick 'em!!!! :muhaha:

-Bruce Arians circa 2007-2011

if we wanna do anything to establish our run game, the best thing we can do is shred the raiders secondary and put the fear of God in other teams with our passing game. THAT will open up the run game.

Steelerfreak58
09-17-2012, 10:05 AM
The Raiders do have a good DL that gets after the QB. That is what you should be worried about especially considering our OL issues.

steelfury02
09-17-2012, 10:05 AM
don't worry, they'll find a way to make it look more difficult than it has to be lol

in all seriousness, I expect a big road W next week

teegre
09-17-2012, 10:21 AM
The Raiders do have a good DL that gets after the QB. That is what you should be worried about especially considering our OL issues.

Their front seven are all really good... and physical.  

Steelerfreak58
09-17-2012, 10:24 AM

Yup

Not to mention our propensity to play down to teams levels. Expect a dog fight next week. The Raiders hate the Steeler Nation seems to go back to the 70s and a certain "reception" by a man named Harris... ehhehehe

LVSteelersfan
09-17-2012, 10:49 AM
I am not that jazzed about next week's game. When was the last time the Steelers ever had to go all the way out West and played well? I don't understand it but they play like crap when they head out West. They better exploit that secondary and not try to control the clock by run because I don't think they will keep McFadden contained especially if Harrison is still out. They need to score TDs. If it was Arians you could count on the fact they would try to run the ball. And stop it already with the fancy plays. That one that Ben handed it off behind his back was a disaster waiting to happen. We still don't run screen plays worth a crap either.

SoCalFan
09-17-2012, 10:54 AM
Im hoping to go to this game!? Im expecting a big win. Even going as far as allowing the injured players to rest another week! Gangster nation is going down!!!

Edman
09-17-2012, 10:59 AM
<i>Everybody knows that the Raiders secondary is horrible and everybody knows the easiest way the Steelers can beat them is shredding their secondary with an air attack. The Raiders know this, so I KNOW they will spend all week of practice working on defending our passing game, therefore I will devise a game plan with virtually no passing and 50+ runs. THAT'LL trick 'em!!!!</i>

Then when our Running game is useless, I'll call 7 step drops and have Ben and the O-Line get killed by the pinned-up Raiders Pass Rush! Then FIVE WIDE ON 3RD AND ONE! Then, we'll run a few bubble screens!

TOTALLY FOOLPROOF.

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 11:01 AM

Maybe so but giving up 35 points to the Dolphins & a rookie QB is noteworthy

teegre
09-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Maybe so but giving up 35 points to the Dolphins & a rookie QB is noteworthy

True.
But, any given Sunday...

I have watched a lot of Raiders games (living in SD), and that front four can wreak havoc. I understand your point, but I wouldn't overlook that defense, because they can put a hurting on a QB. They are fast, mean, and very physical.

And, even when losing, they can still beat up their opponent.

My point(s):
1. Yes, pass a lot.
2. But, also, protect BB.

StainlessStill
09-17-2012, 01:15 PM
I'm still RIDING HIGH on this Jets victory. Hell, even work was a blast today. "YES! YES I WILL WORK AN EXTRA HOUR BOSS!"

Damn, what a win does to the body.

I will continue to enjoy this victory atleast until Friday because for some reason, I don't like this Oakland matchup. We MUST win on the road. Last season, we weren't a good road team and we are already 0-1.

Nonetheless, I'm enjoying the week 2 'W'. Worry abut Chokeland later.

Darkstorm05
09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
True.
But, any given Sunday...

I have watched a lot of Raiders games (living in SD), and that front four can wreak havoc. I understand your point, but I wouldn't overlook that defense, because they can put a hurting on a QB. They are fast, mean, and very physical.

And, even when losing, they can still beat up their opponent.

My point(s):
1. Yes, pass a lot.
2. But, also, protect BB.

Any given Sunday it is. A couple years ago we were scheduled to whoop up on the "Horrible" Raiders team, and it didn't turn out so well. I'm more conservative going into this game than I was against the Jets.

Fire Arians
09-17-2012, 01:17 PM
don't sleep on the raiders, we have to travel across the country to play them, and they are probably desperate after going 0-2. this could be a dangerous game, and not an 'easy' one by any means

their defense is actually a very good one. just their O sucks.

Steelerfreak58
09-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah they were one of the "unleash hell" teams we lost to back to back to back and missed the playoffs....

Atlanta Dan
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Yeah they were one of the "unleash hell" teams we lost to back to back to back and missed the playoffs....

Not saying the Raiders game is a gimme - just saying the Raiders are vulnerable to the pass

No question the Steelers have had issues with the Raiders in the past - in addition to the awful home loss to the Raiders in 2009 during the 5 game "unleashed hell" losing streak, the Steelers lost in Oakland in 2006 when Ben threw numerous picks (4?) and probably would not even have played in that game under today's rules since he had a major concussion in Atlanta the previous week (which was only several months after his motorcycle wreck). I recall beinbg pi**ed at Cowher for being old school and not sitting Ben for that game because of the concussion the prior week

Fire Arians
09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Not saying the Raiders game is a gimme - just saying the Raiders are vulnerable to the pass

No question the Steelers have had issues with the Raiders in the past - in addition to the awful home loss to the Raiders in 2009 during the 5 game "unleashed hell" losing streak, the Steelers lost in Oakland in 2006 when Ben threw numerous picks (4?) and probably would not even have played in that game under today's rules since he had a major concussion in Atlanta the previous week (which was only several months after his motorcycle wreck). I recall beinbg pi**ed at Cowher for being old school and not sitting Ben for that game because of the concussion the prior week

honestly i thought ben should have sat for majority of the season after that motorcycle accident, he was obviously not right until toward the end of the season. i was also pissed at cowher at the time for jeapordizing the health of our franchise qb.

Darkstorm05
09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
Ben threw numerous picks (4?) and probably would not even have played in that game under today's rules since he had a major concussion in Atlanta the previous week (which was only several months after his motorcycle wreck). I recall beinbg pi**ed at Cowher for being old school and not sitting Ben for that game because of the concussion the prior week

This only applies if you aren't worried about pinching out a W. Greene was staggering and they kept showing replays of it, but they trotted him back out against us. They even gave an update calling it a "Head Injury", and said he was "Questionable" to return. I instantly wondered how he could be, when it was supposed to be mandatory to sit a concussed player.

This article(And Colt McCoy's daddy) concurs...

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/sports/2012/09/6537194/what-protocol-jets-send-popped-shonn-greene-back-out-against-steelers

So all you need is the team doc to give a thumbs up. I'm sure that was hard to get. "Hmmm...game is close, and we could use you out there...nope, no concussion here!".

Hawaii 5-0
09-19-2012, 05:55 PM
A challenge for Steelers' wide receivers

by Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers began their film study for Oakland on Wednesday, but it’s not going to be easy for the team’s wide receivers to prepare for the Raiders corners as injuries have hit them hard there.

The Raiders lost starting left corner Ron Bartell week one against San Diego to a broken shoulder blade, that will keep him sidelined for at least seven weeks. Last week right cornerback Shawntae Spencer sprained his right foot against the Miami Dolphins, missing practice on Wednesday and he could be sidelined this week as well.

“It’s hard to talk about them because you don’t know who is playing because a lot of guys are hurt,” said wide receiver Mike Wallace. “We watched some film, but I don’t think it’s going to be the same guys we watched on film who are going to be playing in the game.

“You don’t know who is playing, who is going to come back. There are different guys. You are watching film but they aren’t the guys you are going against.”

Pat Lee has stepped into Bartell’s spot and Joselio Hanson was inserted when Spencer went down against the Dolphins. On Tuesday the Raiders worked out four cornerbacks, not signing any of them, but did claim cornerback Brandon Ross off the Green Bay Packers practice squad.

“I look at it as a week where you have to be focused and locked in because the guys they are picking up are looking for an opportunity to go out and make some plays,” said Wallace. “They are going to have a lot to prove out there so those guys are going to be coming hard and you have to be locked in.”

Wallace also said it’s important that the Steelers don’t let the Raiders 0-2 start fool them.

“We take it one game at a time,” said Wallace. “We prepare for it as if they are 2-0. It doesn’t matter what their record is. This is the National Football League. They are going to come prepared, they aren’t going to give up because they are 0-2.

“It doesn’t matter who is playing, who isn’t playing. Their backs are against the wall and they are going to come out fighting. You have to play like they are 2-0.”

That is a challenge he is ready for. After missing all of training camp he is back into the swing of things.

“I am getting more comfortable,” said Wallace. “I have my job down, what I am supposed to do on the plays. I have a good grasp of the offense. I am feeling good.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...e-9dfba8ebef15

Steel_Bus_24
09-19-2012, 06:13 PM
yep Im smelling another 2011 Colts-type game here

They have a good crowd and homefield advantage.....They're desperate as hell...it'll pretty much be their season if they drop to 0-3

Have to protect the ball!!! and it would also help if we could get a decent rushing attack going if we get a bit of a lead

Hawaii 5-0
09-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Raiders are missing both of their starting CBs, Ben should have a very good day...

Raiders' Michael Huff says he's ready to play cornerback, if needed

By Jerry McDonald
San Jose Mercury News

ALAMEDA -- Michael Huff emerged from seclusion long enough Friday to confirm what everyone already knew -- the veteran safety may be playing a lot of cornerback against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"If I'm out there at corner I'll be ready, and if I'm out there at safety I'll be ready," Huff said.

The Raiders officially ruled out Shawntae Spencer from Sunday's game, meaning they've lost both of their starting cornerbacks in two weeks. Ron Bartell broke his shoulder blade in the opener against San Diego.

One of the challenges this week for the defensive staff has been putting the secondary together like a jigsaw puzzle and hoping the pieces fit. Huff, who made himself scarce during open locker room sessions until Friday, claimed he didn't know the game plan.

Coach Dennis Allen knows it but wasn't getting into specifics.

"We have a pretty good plan for what we're going to do and how we're going to attack that position so we'll be ready on Sunday," Allen said.

Logic and depth suggest Huff will be matched up with wide receivers a good deal of the time, given that Pat Lee and Joselio Hanson are the only other options at cornerback -- and each struggled last week in a 35-13 loss at Miami. The other cornerbacks on the roster, Coye Francies and Phillip Adams, played only on special teams Sunday even after Spencer's departure.

Matt Giordano, an extra defensive back in some packages, has had success playing free safety in Huff's absence before.

The question is whether Huff will play outside as a true corner or in the slot, a position he's more familiar with as a nickel back. In Hanson's seven years with the Philadelphia Eagles, his best work has also come as a slot defender, rather than on the outside.

Huff said he has no problem playing on the island.

"For me, outside is easier than inside, because inside, you're working on slot, quick receivers," he said. "Outside is pretty much just press and run, more deep routes."

Huff was told by the previous regime that he might be moving to cornerback this season. Allen said there was no thought given to that by his staff, but when asked why Huff could play corner, said, "speed and athleticism. ... You've got to be able to run and play out there on the edge, and he can certainly do that."

Pittsburgh has two swift receivers in Antonio Brown and Mike Wallace, and a quarterback in Ben Roethlisberger whose strength is breaking out of the pocket and delivering passes off of broken plays.

Of Wallace, Huff said, "Fastest kid in the world. You see him on film and you see corners playing off . . . he is probably track Olympic fast."

•Middle linebacker Rolando McClain was listed as questionable and will continue to work through the NFL concussion protocol. Allen likened his situation to that of long snapper Jon Condo a week ago. Condo ended up playing against Miami. Francies, like McClain, was limited at practice and listed as questionable with a concussion.

Right tackle Khalif Barnes (groin) was listed as out along with Spencer (foot). Willie Smith is the likely starter, Allen said, although rookie Tony Bergstrom has taken reps at that tackle position of late, and Joe Barksdale is also available.

Kicker Sebastian Janikowski (groin) is listed as questionable but Allen expects him to play.

Running back Mike Goodson tweaked a hamstring Thursday and is listed as questionable. He will be a game-time decision.

•Two big names on the Steelers defense were listed as out -- linebacker James Harrison (knee) and safety Troy Polamalu (calf). Also out is running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee).

http://www.insidebayarea.com/raiders...lay-cornerback

tanda10506
09-22-2012, 03:12 PM
if we wanna do anything to establish our run game, the best thing we can do is shred the raiders secondary and put the fear of God in other teams with our passing game. THAT will open up the run game.

This ^. Our run game isn't going to get going on it's own. It's true that it needs to improve, but beating a dead horse like in Denver isn't going to be successful.

FrancoLambert
09-22-2012, 03:44 PM
One of Haley's talents, game planning to attack and exploit a weakness of a D should be on full display this Sunday.
This is not the game to pound it. :banging:
Let Ben and the WR's have them running around like chickens without heads. :crazy01:
Miraculously, the running game will appear. :jawdrop:

teegre
09-22-2012, 04:10 PM
In all seriousness, do I start BOTH Antonio Brown & Mike Wallace in my FF league?  

If I start both... 
I would have to sit one of the following:  Megatron, Andre Johnson, or Reggie Wayne.  [I am already sitting Percy Harvin, because he's playing against SF's defense.]  

[NOTE: Yes, I have all of these WRs... in a 12 team league.  The draft Gods loved me.]  

Twentyvalve
09-22-2012, 05:29 PM
My finely honed Football Bat Sense tells me there will be many penalties. I think the Raiders are going to get very physical. And we respond accordingly. These penalties will have no correlation to the score. I sure am glad we got rid of Kemo. This game would be a potential penalty buffet for that guy.

GoFor7
09-22-2012, 06:10 PM
One of Haley's talents, game planning to attack and exploit a weakness of a D should be on full display this Sunday.
This is not the game to pound it. :banging:
Let Ben and the WR's have them running around like chickens without heads. :crazy01:
Miraculously, the running game will appear. :jawdrop:

But what if Coach Art feels differently?

steelerchad
09-22-2012, 06:39 PM
In all seriousness, do I start BOTH Antonio Brown & Mike Wallace in my FF league?  

If I start both... 
I would have to sit one of the following:  Megatron, Andre Johnson, or Reggie Wayne.  [I am already sitting Percy Harvin, because he's playing against SF's defense.]  

[NOTE: Yes, I have all of these WRs... in a 12 team league.  The draft Gods loved me.]  

I wouldn't start em both. Having to sit either of those other 3 would be crazy.

Hawaii 5-0
09-23-2012, 01:32 AM

If I start both... 

I would probably never sit Megatron or Andre Johnson unless they had a bye week, along with Larry Fitzgerald they are the best WRs in the NFL.

teegre
09-23-2012, 03:56 AM
I would probably never sit Megatron or Andre Johnson unless they had a bye week, along with Larry Fitzgerald they are the best WRs in the NFL.

Very true.

And, Reggie Wayne is going up against the Jags... and he's Luck's go-to guy.

[I missed out on Fitzgerald, by one pick. (I took AB.) Otherwise, I'd have Megatron, Andre Johnson, & Fitzgerald as my starters... But, I'm not really complaining about my WRs.]

teegre
09-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Looks like I picked the wrong week to start benching Percy Harvin.
:banging:

[AB had better score two TDs for me.]

SteelerinSevern
09-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Regardless of how we play or what we do to play we will be fine. Protect the ball. NO TURNOVERS! Feed Dwyer and let the Young Money Crew do what they do!

GO STEELERS!

Stangboy06
09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Looks like they were good enough to win

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Looks like they were good enough to win

they really weren't, ben abused them all day. turnovers, penalties, and defense unable to prevent touchdowns in the red zone lost the game

steelfury02
09-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Yea, the Raiders secondary does look as bad as advertised - I'd cut them a little break since they just beat us on our last possession - plus, they get a half a point for doing just enough with all the injuries they have had

Newsflash - we're in the same boat as the Raiders now, and I'd argue over 3 games, ours doesn't look leaps and bounds better.