PDA

View Full Version : Sky still falling?

Steelerfreak58
09-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Ravens and Patriots lose... Steelers win...

Parity in the NFL folks... ANY GIVEN SUNDAY.

Rick5895
09-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Where all the over reacting doomsday people now?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2012, 09:33 PM
Where all the over reacting doomsday people now?

In their bunker with tinfoil hats on and going over game replays to try and find some really negative stuff to say.......despite a lobsided win.

tony hipchest
09-17-2012, 10:56 PM
In their bunker with tinfoil hats on and going over game replays to try and find some really negative stuff to say.......despite a lobsided win.:chuckle:

theyre still bitching about manning shredding the steelers DBs in week 1.

GoFor7
09-17-2012, 11:23 PM
I'd say it's half and half. Good to get a win, but Sanchez is a huge drop-off from Peyton Manning.

Hawaii 5-0
09-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I'd say it's half and half. Good to get a win, but Sanchez is a huge drop-off from Peyton Manning.

so is Carson Palmer fortunately, we should be 2-1 going into the bye week and hopefully have a healthy Troy and Deebo again thereafter.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-18-2012, 01:02 PM
so is Carson Palmer fortunately, we should be 2-1 going into the bye week and hopefully have a healthy Troy and Deebo again thereafter.

And Mike Vick is also a dropoff from Peyton Manning...and Brandon Weeden, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Tony Romo, Matt Cassell, Jake Locker, Philip Rivers, Bob Griffin 3 etc are all a dropoff from Peyton Manning.

That is how to hedge your bets. If the Steelers win, they were facing inferior competition. If the Steelers lose, then its all because they will not go 5 wide and try to have Ben throw it 50 times a game.

Again, the sky is falling checklist :
-in the bunker- check
-tinfoil hat - check
-negativity at all cost - check

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Only thing that matters is that we when enough to make the playoffs. I could give a shit who we beat early in the season, but if we're losing in December, throw in the towel. We can't heat up early on and fizzle out when it matters. We're NOT the Patriots. Going 16-0 doesn't mean shit when you finish 18-1.

TRH
09-18-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm still not sold on our defense........the one thing i did like is that LeBeau/Tomlin had them come out in the 2nd half playing with emotion and some fire (that was absolutely lacking in game 1 and the first half of game 2....i would likely attribute that to a half-time dress down in the locker room).
If they can keep that up, i'm interested in seeing how things progress going forward and Troy coming back.

Rick5895
09-19-2012, 03:48 AM
I'm still not sold on our defense........the one thing i did like is that LeBeau/Tomlin had them come out in the 2nd half playing with emotion and some fire (that was absolutely lacking in game 1 and the first half of game 2....i would likely attribute that to a half-time dress down in the locker room).
If they can keep that up, i'm interested in seeing how things progress going forward and Troy coming back.

As the season wears on we are going to have to rely less and less on the D. We put up 27 on the jets with an average offensive effort based on our talent. When this O starts clicking 27 or more points will be the norm, taking pressure off the D.

Rick5895
09-19-2012, 03:48 AM
And Mike Vick is also a dropoff from Peyton Manning...and Brandon Weeden, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Tony Romo, Matt Cassell, Jake Locker, Philip Rivers, Bob Griffin 3 etc are all a dropoff from Peyton Manning.

That is how to hedge your bets. If the Steelers win, they were facing inferior competition. If the Steelers lose, then its all because they will not go 5 wide and try to have Ben throw it 50 times a game.

Again, the sky is falling checklist :
-in the bunker- check
-tinfoil hat - check
-negativity at all cost - check

:applaudit:

TheDude
09-19-2012, 07:21 AM
As the season wears on we are going to have to rely less and less on the D. We put up 27 on the jets with an average offensive effort based on our talent. When this O starts clicking 27 or more points will be the norm, taking pressure off the D.

i think thats why you see Haley & co focusing on ball control....keep that D on the sidelines

Steelerfreak58
09-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Lots of room for improvement no doubt. Oakland is going to be a tough game. The front seven are going to get after BB.

GoFor7
09-19-2012, 10:40 AM

True. But how many are better than Sanchez? The sky isn't falling, but lets not pretend all the problems in Denver were just because they were facing Peyton Manning.

If the Steelers lose, then its all because they will not go 5 wide and try to have Ben throw it 50 times a game.

No, just don't be predictable with play-calling and don't run every first and second down because of the owner or because fans will piss and moan. To Haley's credit he got better in that regard against the Jets.

steelfury02
09-19-2012, 11:44 AM
They just need to go all Pittsburgh Steelers Gangnam Style on their arses

Edman
09-19-2012, 01:13 PM
We've been spoiled big time by these past few years.

This Defense, in fact this whole team reminds me of the 2004-2005 Steeler Teams. Competent across the board. Those teams had Defenses, but they were hardly dominant like 2008 and 2010. Those teams have weaknesses of course, but they're competitive in every game. As poorly as the Steelers played in Denver, we forget that the Steelers led at Halftime and going into the 4th Quarter. It's not like we were overmatched from start to finish like last year in Baltimore, Houston, and San Francisco (No Fun being outscored 62-20 in those games).

We've become so accustomed all these years to an underachieving offense and the Defense having to rescue the team from the soup, that we're sketchy to the fact that this team is vastly different now.

This time, the Offense is picking up the slack for the Defense, which has shown since last year to be weakening. The Defense is still competent, but no longer dominant. It's no longer the driving force to our wins, but it's not a liability, even with injuries to Troy and Harrison. Since the Steelers Defense isn't as fantastic as it once was, we assume it's the end of the line, but not really. The Offense has it under control, and it's all thanks to shipping Arians out and bringing Todd Haley in. If Arians stayed on board, this team was just going to decay even more. We could get away with mediocre offensive production because the Defense played out of it's mind, but not anymore. The days of the 2008 Steelers are not coming back.

The days of holding our breath and watching the Defense hold a lead while the Offense stumbles and farts is coming to an end. Steeler Football is coming back.

teegre
09-19-2012, 02:10 PM

This Defense, in fact this whole team reminds me of the 2004-2005 Steeler Teams. Competent across the board. Those teams had Defenses, but they were hardly dominant like 2008 and 2010. Those teams have weaknesses of course, but they're competitive in every game. As poorly as the Steelers played in Denver, we forget that the Steelers led at Halftime and going into the 4th Quarter. It's not like we were overmatched from start to finish like last year in Baltimore, Houston, and San Francisco (No Fun being outscored 62-20 in those games).

We've become so accustomed all these years to an underachieving offense and the Defense having to rescue the team from the soup, that we're sketchy to the fact that this team is vastly different now.

This time, the Offense is picking up the slack for the Defense, which has shown since last year to be weakening. The Defense is still competent, but no longer dominant. It's no longer the driving force to our wins, but it's not a liability, even with injuries to Troy and Harrison. Since the Steelers Defense isn't as fantastic as it once was, we assume it's the end of the line, but not really. The Offense has it under control, and it's all thanks to shipping Arians out and bringing Todd Haley in. If Arians stayed on board, this team was just going to decay even more. We could get away with mediocre offensive production because the Defense played out of it's mind, but not anymore. The days of the 2008 Steelers are not coming back.

The days of holding our breath and watching the Defense hold a lead while the Offense stumbles and farts is coming to an end. Steeler Football is coming back.

What he said.

steelfury02
09-19-2012, 02:43 PM
I enjoyed the association my brain made between Arians and fart

All good points

jiminpa
09-19-2012, 03:50 PM

The days of holding our breath and watching the Defense hold a lead while the Offense stumbles and farts is coming to an end. Steeler Football is coming back.Which is precisely why I had been so furious that we wasted the last five years of offense with Arians. I knew that the defense couldn't be that superhuman forever, and that the talent was there on offense to match the defense and was being squandered. Now our defense isn't number one in all stats, and our offense is starting to do what it should have and could have been doing all along. We could have been unstoppable, and chose not to be by promoting and keeping Arians.

Steelerfreak58
09-19-2012, 04:55 PM
I blame Arians and Canada.

Edman
09-19-2012, 05:36 PM
No, this Defense is still reasonably good, it's just not a Super Do-All Defense anymore. The 2008 and 2010 Defenses not only stopped offenses, but they scored and turned the ball over. This Defense can just stop people now. It'll do it's fundamental job, but it's not going to win games. The Steelers can't sit back and ride on the back of the Defense to wins anymore.

The last time the Steelers went into a season with Mediocre Offense and the Defense couldn't save their skin (2009) they finished 9-7 and missed the playoffs.

zcoop
09-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Only thing that matters is that we when enough to make the playoffs. I could give a shit who we beat early in the season, but if we're losing in December, throw in the towel. We can't heat up early on and fizzle out when it matters. We're NOT the Patriots. Going 16-0 doesn't mean shit when you finish 18-1.

Preach on bro..........

teegre
09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
I blame Arians and Canada.

There are two things that I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other cultures... and the Dutch. :wink02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-20-2012, 07:39 AM
There are two things that I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other cultures... and the Dutch. :wink02:

What about carnies...you know, circus folk, with little hands and smell like cabbage.:toofunny:

teegre
09-20-2012, 01:06 PM
What about carnies...you know, circus folk, with little hands and smell like cabbage.:toofunny:

Hey, man... Fook Yu. Then again, Fook Mi.

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
now it is, we just let the worst offense in the NFL put up 34 on us. if we can't get troy and harrison back healthy this year we're going 8-8

Goldsteel86
09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
now it is, we just let the worst offense in the NFL put up 34 on us. if we can't get troy and harrison back healthy this year we're going 8-8

If Tomlin doesn't pull his head out of his ass it could get alot worse than that!

AndyWitmyer
09-23-2012, 07:15 PM
We're 1 - 2 ---- the sky is hardly falling. At this point, it's far too early to cast a verdict on any team. We'll see where we are in 5 games. If we're still playing unevenly by midseason, then that's cause for concern. Unless we lose 3 out of the next five games, I'd say the sky isn't falling.

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
We're 1 - 3 ---- the sky is hardly falling. At this point, it's far too early to cast a verdict on any team. We'll see where we are in 5 games. If we're still playing unevenly by midseason, then that's cause for concern. Unless we lose 3 out of the next five games, I'd say the sky isn't falling.

1-3, we chalking up the bye week as a loss already? :chuckle:

WVABE
09-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Depending on the defence is now out of question and with AB being stripped so easily, yes the sky is falling.

ohio black&gold
09-23-2012, 07:35 PM
don't think so....after the D started their bye week a bit early...i think the sky is finished falling and laying shattered all over the field in oaklland

steelfury02
09-23-2012, 07:41 PM
I'll put it this way: heading into the bye, this team is a big question mark

The offense gets a B after 3 weeks
The defense gets a D after 3 weeks

This looks like a C average team as of now.

steelfan23
09-23-2012, 07:46 PM
yeah sky is still falling. I love how people get so excited by beating crappy teams like a Revis less Jets. Where are all the smart asses with their condemnation of people who don't agree with them that this Steelers' team is the best in the league?

AndyWitmyer
09-23-2012, 07:49 PM
1-3, we chalking up the bye week as a loss already? :chuckle:

Whoops! Gotta really re-read what I type before I post! If the Steelers lose after the Bye, feel free to blame it on me - I may have just cursed the team!! :banging:

:chuckle:

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Past results are no guarantee of future performance but this is how the 2006 and 2009 seasons started out when the Steelers last missed the playoffs

Week 1 - beat Tennessee at home
Week 2 - lost to Chicago on road
Week 3 - lost to Bengals on road (blew 4th quarter lead - that was the game that effectively ended Sweed's career whe he dropped a sure TD pass)

Week 1 - beat Miami at home
Week 2 - lost to Jax on the road
Week 3 - lost to Bengals at home (blew 4th quarter lead when Coclough muffed a punt and effectively ended his career)

Starting out 1-2 does not bode well. Add to that the Steelers recent history of making the playoffs for 2 years and then missing the playoffs every third year (2000, 2003, 2006, and 2009) and there are some patterns that are being folllowed

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Past results are no guarantee of future performance but this is how the 2006 and 2009 seasons started out when the Steelers last missed the playoffs

Week 1 - beat Tennessee at home
Week 2 - lost to Chicago on road
Week 3 - lost to Bengals on road (blew 4th quarter lead - that was the game that effectively ended Sweed's career whe he dropped a sure TD pass)

Week 1 - beat Miami at home
Week 2 - lost to Jax on the road
Week 3 - lost to Bengals at home (blew 4th quarter lead when Coclough muffed a punt and effectively ended his career)

Starting out 1-2 does not bode well. Add to that the Steelers recent history of making the playoffs for 2 years and then missing the playoffs every third year (2000, 2003, 2006, and 2009) and there are some patterns that are being folllowed

We didn't win the Super Bowl last year. Both of those teams did, if i'm not mistaken.

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
We didn't win the Super Bowl last year. Both of those teams did, if i'm not mistaken.

True enough - and the Steelers have come back from a slow start to the season to make the playoffs (0-2 start to 2002 season when the defense was awful after a dominanat 2001 season and never really got on track). In addition, during the past three seasons the Steelers have missed the playoffs there also were losing streaks of at least 3 games (5 game losing streaks in 2003 and 2009/ 2 losing streaks of 3 games each during the first 8 games of the 2006 season) so a bigger flameout usually has occurred than what we are seeing so far.

Just saying some similarities to past train wrecks are emerging.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Well, we won the Super Bowl in '05. Missed the Playoff's in '06. Made the Playoff's in '07, and won it all again in '08.

Than we missed the playoffs again in '09. Made the playoffs in '10.

Take a guess on how I had our season ending last year? Certainly wasn't in Denver, but that's what happened.

My point: I don't follow these trends anymore. Any given Sunday is my motto.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
I do see your point though. I just think we'll progressively improve each week as long as we're healthy.