PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Fever Exclusive Editorial: Want a Cookie?

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 04:41 AM
As illogical as it sounds, there is such a thing as a good penalty. Do not get me wrong… penalties usually suck, but allow me to explain the difference between a bad call, a bad penalty, and a good penalty. Ike Taylor being called for pass interference, when he never laid a hand on Santonio Holmes is quintessentially a bad call. Willie “The” Colon standing up before the snap of the ball (in Denver), drawing a false start, is a bad penalty. And, Lawrence Timmons laying the wood on Mark Sanchez, in turn, drawing a flag, was a good penalty.

For those out there who still do not get the difference… well, here is a quick way to check a person’s football IQ. Ask someone: “Was Timmons’s getting flagged for a personal foul penalty a good thing or a bad thing?” If they reply that it is a good thing, then you can carry on your conversation with this knowledgeable chap; if they reply that it is a bad thing, then they might not understand the concept of delayed gratification.

Read more: http://www.steelersfever.com/editorials/1008.html

Bayz101
09-18-2012, 04:53 AM
Awesome commentary!

SteelersFever
09-18-2012, 06:54 AM
Editorial is published everywhere. Great work!

teegre
09-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks again, for this opportunity.

TheDude
09-18-2012, 08:44 AM
In the words of Mikey T

I LIKE IT!!! I LIKE IT!!!

lloydwoodson
09-19-2012, 04:44 AM
While I agree that Timmons' hit affected Sanchez's play, I do not think it is a good idea to laud the benefit of illegal hits on quarterbacks in this era. The Steelers have been getting a reputation for being a dirty team (even though everyone here knows that is not the case) and this kind of article and attitude does not help.

Obviously Timmons was trying to lay a good, clean hit on Sanchez and unfortunately his shoulder made contact with Sanchez's head. I hope Timmons accepts responsibility for the hit and does not allow fines to affect the intense way he plays the game.

:tt04:

teegre
09-19-2012, 08:07 AM
While I agree that Timmons' hit affected Sanchez's play, I do not think it is a good idea to laud the benefit of illegal hits on quarterbacks in this era. The Steelers have been getting a reputation for being a dirty team (even though everyone here knows that is not the case) and this kind of article and attitude does not help.

Obviously Timmons was trying to lay a good, clean hit on Sanchez and unfortunately his shoulder made contact with Sanchez's head. I hope Timmons accepts responsibility for the hit and does not allow fines to affect the intense way he plays the game.

:tt04:

I see your point, and I hope that you don't think that I would condone injuring another player.  It is just that this type of hit was not illegal until a year or so ago.  

Likewise, this type of hit on a WR or on a RB is completely legal... and Sanchez was running.  In the 2010 regular season game, on 4th & inches, Sanchez rolled out, and ran for a TD.  He is a very capable runner.  True, he had the ball up, in the throwing position, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't run with it (and/or be pump faking).  Simply, he was running forward, regardless of the ball's location.  

And, lastly, Sanchez ducked his head.  If he had remained where he was initially, Timmons's shoulder hits him in the upper chest.  

Ergo, considering that Sanchez is a capable runner, Timmons started off tackling him "cleanly", and that this type of hit has been "legal" for 100 years (& is still legal on all other players)... I think that getting a flag on this play is very ticky-tack... and furthermore, that 15 yards was worth it, in order to shut down Sanchez for the remainder of the game.