PDA

View Full Version : Ben Comments On No Huddle & Scab Refs

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Some interesting comments from Ben, including his explanation as to why the plays are not getting off on time

Through two games, the Steelers have gone from the no-huddle to the no no-huddle. They ran it often in Denver, not at all in Heinz Field.

It worked in Denver, worked well, and it’s supposed to be more difficult on the road because it is more difficult to hear check-offs and the snap counts. Home is made for the no-huddle.

Count Ben Roethlisberger as mystified as any as to why offensive coordinator Todd Haley did not use it more often Sunday against the Jets.

“That’s Coach Haley’s call. He’s the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. They saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep you guys and the fans happy I guess.”

Roethlisberger said the issue came up just once, and it was Mike Tomlin who mentioned it.

“Right before halftime, Coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it. I was all for it but we never really got to it. We got the win. That’s all that matters.”

Roethlisberger thinks the scab refs – he did not mention them as such – are starting the play clock too quickly.

“We also need to figure out why it feels like the play clock is getting started a lot faster than it ever has in the past. I don’t feel like all the time that the plays are late getting in. There are times that we’re trying to communicate and that’s just a natural occurrence. “I don’t care how you’re doing it, there are times that you have to take a timeout because the play clock is running down. We just have to make sure we keep working on communication and getting plays and personnel in because we are changing guys in and out a lot. That’s kind of on everybody to keep working at.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118147-ed-ben-says-refs-starting-play-clock-too-quickly

Ben just can't help himself when it comes to taking a jab at those who want to emphasize the running game:chuckle:

Darkstorm05
09-20-2012, 08:53 AM
Ben just can't help himself when it comes to taking a jab at those who want to emphasize the running game:chuckle:

Yea, he sounds a little cranky there. To be fair, once we got going Sunday we didn't really need to go no huddle. Why mess with a good thing?

steelfury02
09-20-2012, 09:00 AM
on paper, it seems a little cranky - didn't watch any video regarding it

can someone just convince Ben to say - "All I care about is winning - no matter what that means. I have faith that they are putting us in the best position to win. As players, we have to execute." Repeat, repeat, repeat . . .

Ben really does have an odd way of saying things that causes confusion as to his attitude

beer72
09-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Although we really didn't need to go to the no huddle on Sunday I always enjoy watching Big Ben run it. Seems we move the ball more effectively.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Ben said it was about winning.
"“Right before halftime, Coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it. I was all for it but we never really got to it. We got the win. That’s all that matters.”'''''

I dont really think he cares if your confused about what he is saying. The running game sucks, the refs are starting the play clock to soon, and the plays are getting called in late. Lastly, yes we didnt run the no huddle. I thought Ben was pretty clear.

Basically go ask Haley why, not me(ben)

GoFor7
09-20-2012, 09:27 AM
on paper, it seems a little cranky - didn't watch any video regarding it

can someone just convince Ben to say - "All I care about is winning - no matter what that means. I have faith that they are putting us in the best position to win. As players, we have to execute." Repeat, repeat, repeat . . .

Ben really does have an odd way of saying things that causes confusion as to his attitude

Perhaps he's tired of bailing the offense out on 3rd & long.

Think of it this way, the more he does on first downs, the less he has to do on second and third downs.

steelfury02
09-20-2012, 09:48 AM
i'm sure he doesn't - and I don't care if he cares, just sayin - he talks out of both ends IMO

Darkstorm05
09-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Ben said it was about winning.
"“Right before halftime, Coach Tomlin came to me and asked what I thought about it. I was all for it but we never really got to it. We got the win. That’s all that matters.”'''''

I dont really think he cares if your confused about what he is saying. The running game sucks, the refs are starting the play clock to soon, and the plays are getting called in late. Lastly, yes we didnt run the no huddle. I thought Ben was pretty clear.

Basically go ask Haley why, not me(ben)

No confusion on what he said, but over the tone and his disposition towards it. He sounds mad. Was he laughing in the delivery? If so, very different take. And the play clock ticking down has been an issue for us for years.

GoFor7
09-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Here's the video:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/Ben-Roethlisberger-9-19/c7ff95c1-1d82-4cdb-98b6-f7fa3a495c30

Steelerfreak58
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Ben takes a really long time to get the ball snapped. He is constantly taking the time down to 1 second left. If it were the "refs" I would buy that but he has done it for years.

madtowndrunkard
09-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Ben is a bi***. He's been questioning Haley since they announced his hire. We will not make the playoffs if Ben doesn't get on board with the offense and Haley.

Ben doesn't understand that by running the ball he's not getting killed....if we pass 75% of the game he will likely get injured. Also by running the ball, your chances for turnovers is reduced greatly. If Haley's goal is to reduce turnovers and hits to Ben then he's succeeding. It also helps our defense by keeping them off the field longer.

Sure the running game is struggling...but that's no different then what we've had the past few years. Our O-line is horrible...that's on the FO and Mike Tomlin. They've made no effort to improve the talent - up until this season.... and one draft pick is injured and the other sucks. Ben is quick to point the finger...and say it's not his problem...maybe it's schematic? That's another shot at Haley....then he laughs at us running on 1st and 2nd down..... and says there's nothing he can do. Maybe that's true but that's not what a good leader says. Ben is a self centered child. He's a damn good QB but he's an idiot.

madtowndrunkard
09-20-2012, 10:29 AM
I gotta think the FO is trying to find a RB via trade.... Our RB's are not talented enough to deal with a really bad O-line.

steeltheone
09-20-2012, 10:42 AM
[QUOTE=madtowndrunkard;1030831]I gotta think the FO is trying to find a RB via trade.... Our RB's are not talented enough to deal with a really bad O-

Anybody looking at our roster of backs should have known, there was not much talent after Mendenhall...A bad line makes it all the more obvious. I can't see the Steelers making any moves for a back via trade.

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Our O-line is horrible...that's on the FO and Mike Tomlin. They've made no effort to improve the talent - up until this season.... and one draft pick is injured and the other sucks.

Hard to blame the front office for DeCastro getting hurt. As far as Adams goes, the consensus last spring was that he was available in the second round because of the positive drug test at the combine and was a good pick.

Add to that the Steelers drafting Pouncey in the first round in 2010 and committing to Gilbert early in the 2011 draft and I think it is fair to say the Steelers have been trying to upgrade the o-line for several years

FanSince72
09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
“That’s Coach Haley’s call. He’s the one that calls all of the plays..."

Sounds to me like Ben had some better ideas but isn't allowed to overstep Haley.
I'd like to see Ben call more of a game himself and his comment suggests that he'd like to as well. Right now it may not mean much and I hope it doesn't evolve into any sort of feud as the season moves on.

Ben's been doing "his thing" for a long time and creds or not, Haley is the new kid in town and I hope he recognizes that, otherwise we could be headed for a battle of the ego's.
I'm not suggesting that either Ben or Haley call ALL the plays but rather that they meet somewhere in the middle and respect each others abilities.

Don't forget; Haley's title is "Coordinator" not "Dictator".

Steelers>NFL
09-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Ben takes a really long time to get the ball snapped. He is constantly taking the time down to 1 second left. If it were the "refs" I would buy that but he has done it for years.

You are 100% correct here. Another reason why defenses can tee off on Ben.
Because they KNOW the ball will NOT snap unitl clock reached 01 0r 02 seconds.
This drives me insane. So predicable.

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2012, 11:05 AM
Hard to blame the front office for DeCastro getting hurt. As far as Adams goes, the consensus last spring was that he was available in the second round because of the positive drug test at the combine and was a good pick.

Add to that the Steelers drafting Pouncey in the first round in 2010 and committing to Gilbert early in the 2011 draft and I think it is fair to say the Steelers have been trying to upgrade the o-line for several years

AMEN. Anyone who says the FO hasn't addressed the O-line is obviously out of touch with reality. 4/5 of the line has been addressed and Colon was moved to guard. Sounds like they have definitely addressed the Oline. Adams may not be used to the speed of the game yet, but to start calling him a bust after two games is ludicrous. Rookies don't usually start on the O-line for the Steelers. The injury to DeCastro certainly wasn't projected.

Bayz101
09-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Ben's absolutely right about everything that he said in that video. Am I missing something?

steelfury02
09-20-2012, 11:19 AM
after watching the video, I'd say

A. It seems like Ben would go no-huddle the majority of the time if it were up to him. While I can agree they seem to be heading in the right direction with it - I think using it often as it seems he would like to use it would not lead to the offense being unpredictable. I view the direction of the offense as being all about switching it up, depending on the opponent. All speculation, but, maybe Haley and Tomlin thought the key to beating the Jets was to get physical, even if they weren't going to get a lot of yards out of it at first. Things seemed to open up a bit in the run game at the end - combine with the willingness to stick to it and playing excellent possession football - I'd argue that this supposed philosophy worked. As previously mentioned, maybe the goal is to protect Ben, and against a historically physical Jets, they purposefully didn't go to the no-huddle so they couldn't just tee off knowing the pass was coming (yea, they were put in obvious third down passing a lot, and I agree passing on 1st and 2nd might help this). Our defense didn't have that great of a start - ever think going no huddle would have brought them back out on the field too quickly? I know it is a scoring league,

B. Ben still has a lot to learn about interviewee 101. He still comes across smug and boorish and unless he goes total Tom Brady with blank, robotic answers, his history won't help him. This will just be a continual thing with Ben. I will say, I just think in general, Ben wants total control like any great QB does. He did say winning is all that matters so kudos to that.

GoFor7
09-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Ben is a bi***. He's been questioning Haley since they announced his hire. We will not make the playoffs if Ben doesn't get on board with the offense and Haley.

Ben doesn't understand that by running the ball he's not getting killed....if we pass 75% of the game he will likely get injured. Also by running the ball, your chances for turnovers is reduced greatly. If Haley's goal is to reduce turnovers and hits to Ben then he's succeeding. It also helps our defense by keeping them off the field longer.

Sure the running game is struggling...but that's no different then what we've had the past few years. Our O-line is horrible...that's on the FO and Mike Tomlin. They've made no effort to improve the talent - up until this season.... and one draft pick is injured and the other sucks. Ben is quick to point the finger...and say it's not his problem...maybe it's schematic? That's another shot at Haley....then he laughs at us running on 1st and 2nd down..... and says there's nothing he can do. Maybe that's true but that's not what a good leader says. Ben is a self centered child. He's a damn good QB but he's an idiot.

Wow, another ding dong claiming Ben is a baby or an egomaniac.

So is run, run, pass really helping out Ben? Lets see here, what are the Steelers averaging in their running game? And who's been bailing them out in 3rd & long 20 out of 26 times?

As I've said before, perhaps letting Ben do more on first down means he has to do less on second and third down, especially with a struggling running game.

Also, who is more self-centered: A QB who wants to pass to his talented WRs and TE, or an owner who is enamored with 70's smashmouth even though the pedigree at RB is lacking?

Darkstorm05
09-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't think any of this is a big deal right now, TBH. We have a new OC, and a new system in place. There will be a trust building period. Denver didn't go all no huddle week 1, and that was Peyton Manning's specialty. Haley not turning the reigns over to Ben right away isn't a surprise. Lets wait until October/November gets here before we decide if the play calling is too predictable, too slow, etc..

steelfury02
09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
awe, but come on - I need something to bitch about lol

Only Steelers fans will dissect every little thing, just shows the passion!:tt04:

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2012, 11:56 AM
People are always bashing Ben for what he says in interviews. Who gives a crap? It doesn't affect the way he plays the game. No matter what he says, the media will blow it out of proportion. Belicheat would probably put a gag order on him like he does with Brady. But I hate that. He didn't say anything that was out of line.

TRH
09-20-2012, 11:59 AM
You are 100% correct here. Another reason why defenses can tee off on Ben.
Because they KNOW the ball will NOT snap unitl clock reached 01 0r 02 seconds.
This drives me insane. So predicable.

me too. Thats drove me crazy for the last couple years.
Love him or hate him...watch Tom Brady. He'll take the snap at various countdowns of the snap clock, whether its at 9, 3, 11, 6, its always different.....therefore keeping defenses one-half step off, not to mention more rattled. Ben REALLY needs to do this too.
Right now, defenses pretty much jump at "1" and get to him very quickly.

TRH
09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
People are always bashing Ben for what he says in interviews. Who gives a crap? It doesn't affect the way he plays the game. No matter what he says, the media will blow it out of proportion. Belicheat would probably put a gag order on him like he does with Brady. But I hate that. He didn't say anything that was out of line.

This. I can't believe at some of the ridiculous posts i'm reading right here in this thread. Once again.......people are reading WAYYYYYYYY too much into this and trying to find something else instead of what he actually said.
So he uses the "i guess" phrase at the end of a sentence?? So f*#*#-ing what? Thats the way the guy talks.
I have no problem, zero, with what he said and i'm sure Haley doesn't either.

steelerchad
09-20-2012, 01:46 PM
me too. Thats drove me crazy for the last couple years.
Love him or hate him...watch Tom Brady. He'll take the snap at various countdowns of the snap clock, whether its at 9, 3, 11, 6, its always different.....therefore keeping defenses one-half step off, not to mention more rattled. Ben REALLY needs to do this too.
Right now, defenses pretty much jump at "1" and get to him very quickly.

I kind of used to agree with this, but now I don't know. Are the D lineman really all taking a peek at the play clock as it ticks down or are they watching the ball at that point?

Atlanta Dan
09-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I think Ben is maturing - he apparently has moved up from riding motorcycles:chuckle:

Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_Trib

Big Ben having a Porsche dropped off at the facility for him. No word if there is one for me out there yet but I heard it's coming

http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/248808432986112000

No word on whether it is a 911 or the "family sedan" Panamera

Steelers>NFL
09-20-2012, 03:31 PM
I kind of used to agree with this, but now I don't know. Are the D lineman really all taking a peek at the play clock as it ticks down or are they watching the ball at that point?

LBers could be yelling out time left on clock. Either by actual time, or code.

Neverthelss, I would think that by mixing up the time of snaps, that it would keep the defense on their toes, and honest. Certainly would not hurt.

Darkstorm05
09-20-2012, 03:52 PM
LBers could be yelling out time left on clock. Either by actual time, or code.

Neverthelss, I would think that by mixing up the time of snaps, that it would keep the defense on their toes, and honest. Certainly would not hurt.

I've also seen instances in game where the clock ran out and members of the D jumped up waving for a flag. Not sure who or how, or how often, but someone is at times watching that clock.

stb_steeler
09-20-2012, 04:50 PM

I was wondering this myself...And sometimes it usually bites him in the ass. (Delay of game).

Ricco Suavez
09-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Let me understand this. It is Ben's fault that he does not call for the snap until nearly all time has expired. Ben is the player, Haley is OC, Tomlin is HC. If it is all Ben's fault and the coaches are not happy with it then why do they not put a stop to it. Could it be Ben is doing exactly what the coaches want, what happened to the all important Time of Possession I hear so much of these days.

GoFor7
09-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Let me understand this. It is Ben's fault that he does not call for the snap until nearly all time has expired. Ben is the player, Haley is OC, Tomlin is HC. If it is all Ben's fault and the coaches are not happy with it then why do they not put a stop to it. Could it be Ben is doing exactly what the coaches want, what happened to the all important Time of Possession I hear so much of these days.

I asked that question last week, I don't think anyone answered it. I just got responses like "OMG YOU JUST WANT THE STEELERS TO GO 5-WIDE AND PASS 70 TIMES A GAME!" or "BEN'S A DUMMY ART SHOULD CUT HIM!" :noidea:

Personally, I think the offense should worry more about scoring early on in the game. They can worry about possession in the 4th quarter.

tony hipchest
09-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Perhaps he's tired of bailing the offense out on 3rd & long.

Think of it this way, the more he does on first downs, the less he has to do on second and third downs.i wonder if you will ever make a post again not referencing "3rd and long"....

we get it dude.

after two weeks of repeating this like a parrot, you can take the needle and loudspeakers off the broken record. :rolleyes:

Darkstorm05
09-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Could it be Ben is doing exactly what the coaches want, what happened to the all important Time of Possession I hear so much of these days.

Unlikely. We have taken delay of game penalties for this. This past game we were going to try and go for a short 4th down conversion but ate a delay of game instead. I seriously doubt Tomlin and Haley smiled knowingly when the flag was thrown thinking those poor dumb refs were playing right into our hands.

Physical Presence
09-20-2012, 07:35 PM
My take on the late snaps is a little different. It drives me crazy as well, but I feel the bigger issue is that the opposing defense never declares its coverage early, like you see with Brady and Manning when they simulate the snap with 15 to 20 seconds left on the play clock.

Sometimes, Ben will do it as well, but the defense never falls for it because they know the Steelers almost always run the play clock down to under 5 seconds before they snap it. The only time they don't do it is if they are in a 2 minute situation at the end of the half or the game.

If they mix it up more and actually snap it early a few times, they'll definitely get the defense to commit on some of the fake snaps, which will give Ben a better idea of the coverage.

teegre
09-20-2012, 07:36 PM
i wonder if you will ever make a post again not referencing "3rd and long"....

we get it dude.

after two weeks of repeating this like a parrot, you can take the needle and loudspeakers off the broken record. :rolleyes:

Tony,
In GoFor7's defense/to his credit, he has slowed down a bit.

Currently, he is at a "3 'third & long' posts per every 30 posts" rate...
...as opposed to the old pace of "every other post."

jiminpa
09-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Never mind.

GoFor7
09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't mind avoiding 2nd & long either....

teegre
09-20-2012, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't mind avoiding 2nd & long either....

Brother, I have to give it to you: well played.  

That was one funny, clever response.  :hatsoff:

Kudos.  

Ricco Suavez
09-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Unlikely. We have taken delay of game penalties for this. This past game we were going to try and go for a short 4th down conversion but ate a delay of game instead. I seriously doubt Tomlin and Haley smiled knowingly when the flag was thrown thinking those poor dumb refs were playing right into our hands.

I still ask who is OC and who is HC. If they are so unhappy with the play clock and if it is a big deal to them then I would think they would have done something about it. But I see your point Ben has gone rogue with the game plan and we all know he runs his plays as opposed to what the coaches want.

OX1947
09-20-2012, 11:38 PM
The refs aren't scabs, the league locked the regular refs out. Calling these guys scabs is stupid. Plus, I blame all issues on Roger Goodell, the biggest hypocrite, dick-hole, lying, gasbag in NFL history. And the fact that these idiot owners continue to let this (bleep) continue to destroy the league is pathetic.

GoFor7
09-21-2012, 12:09 AM
The refs aren't scabs, the league locked the regular refs out. Calling these guys scabs is stupid. Plus, I blame all issues on Roger Goodell, the biggest hypocrite, dick-hole, lying, gasbag in NFL history. And the fact that these idiot owners continue to let this (bleep) continue to destroy the league is pathetic.

http://www.stillers.com/UserFiles/Images/Trenches/AdolfGoodell-01.png

NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN NEIN!

Diese Steeler Fan erschossen prompt haben! Wie kann er es wagen zu beleidigen die Große Goodell!

Lizard72
09-21-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm more of the opinion that they are setting a pattern this season early, that they can change up later and screw with Defenses.

Haley needs to develop a body of work that opposing teams think is his tendencies so he can start changing up late in games as needed.

jiminpa
09-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Part of that one may be on the coaches. They were in that middle ground area that they may not have wanted to punt from. I'm guessing that they may have been supposed to line up and try to get the defense to jump, hoping for an offsides call, and take the delay if the defense didn't jump. It's probably on BR that they didn't line up and try for the penalty.