PDA

View Full Version : DEFENSE????

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:33 PM
Hey everyone. I am a beloved Pittsburgh Steelers fan even though I live close to the Baltimore chokes. I am new here so hello to everyone.

I just want to vent for a moment because my level of discust has reached its boiling point. I think we can all agree Pittsburgh is thee toughest football team to beat next to the Ravens. However this year (and I don't think it's just me) it seems to me our defense sucks. In the last 5 years we have had one of the toughest hardest hitting defensive lines in the NFL. Let's not forget we had the #1 defense for the last 3 years in a row consecutively. So what is going on this year?

I am watching the Oakland Pitts game right now and it's an absolute disgrace. The last 3 games we have looked like a 3rd rate rookie team. I am so mad I feel like going to steelers headquarters and give them a piece of my mind. My team looks so weak and I am furious at how the defensive coordinator has screwed up the defense. We had one that worked so why screw with a good thing?

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:35 PM
I can't believe we are struggling to beat Oakland. This is a sad day in steelers history.

rgj
09-23-2012, 06:36 PM
No Defense.

Raiders win.

Curtain_of_Steel
09-23-2012, 06:37 PM
No QB pressure, no pass coverage, DB stupid penaltys, and Ike is playing like he has for the past 3 games coming into this game.

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:40 PM
I know. What gives? What happened to our team? We went from being the HULK to one of those Hampsters promoting the Soul. Our team is soft. What the hell is going on?

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:42 PM
31-31. Really? The Raiders are not that good. In fact Raiders are one of the worst teams in the NFL so how I'm the he'll can a 7 SuperBowl championship team be getting squashed by a mediocre team? Did I miss something?

Goldsteel86
09-23-2012, 06:43 PM
No push up front, hate to say it, but it looks as if Tomlin is trying to steal one and limp into the Bye week. Really have to question the Troy injury, it is like Tomlin to "rest" players, this one may have really backfired on him.

steelerchad
09-23-2012, 06:46 PM
31-31. Really? The Raiders are not that good. In fact Raiders are one of the worst teams in the NFL so how I'm the he'll can a 7 SuperBowl championship team be getting squashed by a mediocre team? Did I miss something?

r u an idiot. Bad game on the road against a desperate team. Make yourself dissappear troll.

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:47 PM
This is a sad day in Pittsburgh history. I will be hanging my head low and hanging up my terrible towel for the night.

rgj
09-23-2012, 06:49 PM

I really hate to say this, but the Steelers really aren't that good. No running game. No defensive pressure on the QB, defensive backs can't keep up with any receiver, offensive line still commits penalty after penalty, the only offense the Steelers have is Wallace and Brown, but lately they can't hold on to the ball.

The only way the Steelers win this game is if Big Ben takes the Steelers down the field, using the ENTIRE clock (God knows the Raiders will score).....

Great time for a sack.

rgj
09-23-2012, 06:52 PM
r u an idiot. Bad game on the road against a desperate team. Make yourself dissappear troll.

Troll. He speaks the truth and you can't handle it, so you call names.......real mature, little boy.

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:53 PM

What is your problem? Don't call me a troll or an idiot. What is it with you old farts bashing new people that sign on here? I haven't done or said anything to you so don't attack me or name call. If not I will report you to the moderator. That is no way to treat a new person here. It's people like you that discredit and ruin nice forums like this and the people here that are actually good.

So keep it on topic and stop with the abusive name calling.

steelbad@50
09-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Yes, our "D" is laying an egg big time. Just hope Big Ben and our offense can bail us out of this one. Come to think of it he owes our "D" of few of these over his career.:tt04:

rgj
09-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Here we go.........let's all watch the "defense" lose it here........

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:57 PM
.....again.

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 06:59 PM
There goes the game.

rgj
09-23-2012, 07:06 PM
BOOOOO.

BOOOOO.

BOOOOO

This is the absolute WORST Steelers team I have ever seen since the 60s. Hope they play good golf this bye week, cause they sure as H.e.l.l. can't play football.

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 07:11 PM
even with troy and harrison out of the lineup, that doesn't excuse the defense for giving up 34 points, they shit the bed big on this one

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 07:12 PM
😔 at this point I don't think we deserve to go to the SB. If that defensive coach doesn't pull his head out of his rear end we won't have a shot at the SB. We had game plays that worked so why change that?...GO BACK TO THE PLAYS THAT WORK!

Fire Haley
09-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Worst DL in a decade - they are all stiffs.

We should have paid William Gay $50M - these clowns in the secondary totally suck.

Yeah **** you too Lebeau, Mr 10 yard cushion.

LVSteelersfan
09-23-2012, 07:17 PM
Are you all seriously blaming the defense when the offense fumbled the ball three times in this game? We got lucky and got one back in the end zone. Hang onto the damn ball and this game would have been a laugher. THE WHOLE TEAM SUCKED except for Ben as far as I am concerned.

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Good night my new football friends. I need to go take a shower to wash the filth Lebeau just dumped on all of us Steelers fans and get ready for bed. I feel like I have been *****d out to a toothless Raiders bride.

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 07:21 PM
THE WHOLE TEAM SUCKED except for Ben as far as I am concerned.

I second that now that you mention it. The only thing that would take the edge off tonight's disgusting loss would be to see Baltimore choke again.

I'll add one more thing before closing out for the night...who's worse...our offense (minus Ben), our defense or those scabs that pretend to be actual refs.?

LVSteelersfan
09-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Two weeks to stew over this makes it even worse.

Goldsteel86
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Two weeks to stew over this makes it even worse.

Two weeks suck to wait, it won't be so bad if the Rat Turds lose tonight. What a s***y performance.

Rick5895
09-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Our defense was absolutely horrible tonight, no pass rush, nothing, poor coverage etc. But as bad as our D was tonightthis game was given to the Raiders by numerous dumb penalties, poor kick cover teams, 2 fumbles lost, the first of which gave those retards the ball at our 30. They tied a game we should have been winning by 3 td's.
Browns fumble was costly, but if he breaks that for a TD like he has i the past everyone is praisng his effort.
They weren't very good tonight and we lost. We get a bye and play the "dynasty" Eagles next at home. We wil be ok.

TRH
09-23-2012, 07:52 PM

actually, it shouldn't matter if we're on the road or not. We should have handily beat this team....home, road, or in space.

TRH
09-23-2012, 07:54 PM
do we even have a defensive line???

A pitiful, woeful defensive backfield + a non-existent defensive line + playing with zero passion, no fire whatsoever = HORRIBLE defense

steelerchad
09-23-2012, 07:55 PM
actually, it shouldn't matter if we're on the road or not. We should have handily beat this team....home, road, or in space.

It shouldn't matter, but it does. Just look at the stats. It was just a small contributing factor. The lack of redzone D coupled with untimely turnovers cost us this game.

FanSince72
09-23-2012, 07:57 PM
OK, so who wants to be the first to tell me that I'm wrong about LeBeau?

The average door to a shopping mall offers more resistance than our NUMBER ONE DEFENSE does.

TRH
09-23-2012, 08:02 PM

The average door to a shopping mall offers more resistance than our NUMBER ONE DEFENSE does.

you're not wrong.

The first thing that needs fixed is that these guys need a BIG boot in their ass before gametime and need to look like they WANT to be on the field instead of looking like they're browsing caskets in the local morgue.
Is no one in the organization providing leadership and motivation??? I hate the Ravens, but there's no one here who can tell me that they look like they're even in the same league as the Ravens are when it comes to wanting to be on the field and making plays. Those guys are high-fiving, yelling at each other, pumping fists......are we? Hell no, we're just standing around, shooting the s**t.

I have no idea what LeBeau is doing with these guys at this point. Very little is transferring to the field.

resharded
09-23-2012, 08:13 PM
I don't think Dick is to blame here. His play calling has always been pretty much the same. Its the personnel that deserve the blame this game. If Ben could score 4 TDs every game our previous year defenses would have destroyed the opposing O. Just my 2 cents. :tt04:

Bayz101
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I don't think Dick is to blame here. His play calling has always been pretty much the same. Its the personnel that deserve the blame this game. If Ben could score 4 TDs every game our previous year defenses would have destroyed the opposing O. Just my 2 cents. :tt04:

The defense is no doubt the unit to blame. I'm not saying Dick should be in the hot seat, but it IS his unit that shit the bed.

btaylor179
09-23-2012, 08:23 PM
our defense sucks/bottom line/cant cover anyone and havent had a pass rush in years

steelfury02
09-23-2012, 08:28 PM
I won't even feel better even after a (hopefully) W at home. This team hasn't proven it can win on the road in a while.

casteeler
09-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Hers how the 2013 Steelers draft should go.

1. CB
2.CB
3.LB
4.CB

jiminpa
09-23-2012, 09:35 PM

The average door to a shopping mall offers more resistance than our NUMBER ONE DEFENSE does.Me! What do I win?

We bet the farm on offensive talent and then let Arians refuse to do anything with them for five years. We cut some quite suitable defensive players this offseason to make room for a high power offense that is still learning to play football after five years of destructive coaching. It's not time to demand the head of the once best defensive coordinator in the NFL just yet. Even the best of them get beat sometimes, and Lebeau is no exception, and unlike Arians has had, and now Haley, he no longer has the best talent level to work with.

Fire Haley
09-23-2012, 09:39 PM
I'd pay Wallace $100M tomorrow, because this team has to score 40pts a game if we want to have a chance to win with LeBeau's defense

jiminpa
09-23-2012, 09:45 PM
I'd pay Wallace $100M tomorrow, because this team has to score 40pts a game if we want to have a chance to win with LeBeau's defenseWhat position are willing to downgrade further to make cap room for a formerly fast receiver who isn't outrunning anyone now? I have to give him credit he is still a pretty good receiver and drawing double coverage now that he can't just out sprint the corners any more, but I wouldn't sell the rest of the team to keep him. Sorry, but that's just the reality of the NFL. It's not really a bad thing.

Fire Haley
09-23-2012, 10:06 PM
What position are willing to downgrade further to make cap room for a formerly fast receiver who isn't outrunning anyone now?

for starters I'd cut every CB not named Ike....immediately

Lebeau's soft slow and sloppy "scheme" was cut to ribbons...I want to see heads roll!

Wallace was making catches over the middle and caught everything Ben threw him - get off his ass - he did his job

this defense is beyond horrible - we NEED to score40 pts a game - they can't tackle, stop the run, or the pass

cut that worhless tub of lard Ziggy too, I'be seen enough of that fat slob and his bear dancing routine, a 1 yd push into the backfield would be his first

jiminpa
09-23-2012, 10:21 PM
for starters I'd cut every CB not named Ike....immediately

Lebeau's soft slow and sloppy "scheme" was cut to ribbons...I want to see heads roll!

Wallace was making catches over the middle and caught everything Ben threw him - get off his ass - he did his job

this defense is beyond horrible - we NEED to score40 pts a game - they can't tackle, stop the run, or the pass

cut that worhless tub of lard Ziggy too, I'be seen enough of that fat slob and his bear dancing routine, a 1 yd push into the backfield would be his firstYes, Wallace did do his job. I acknowledged that. He is still good. He is willing to run through the middle and has great hands. He is not the greatest receiver in the league, and not worth breaking the cap for. That's all I'm saying about him. If salary money was unlimited, yeah, pay him whatever he wants. He has great chemistry with the team, and does his job, and a little more. But the salary cap keeps what would otherwise be lesser teams competitive, and so it works to be a good thing, and he should be able to get more than he is worth from one of the teams in league that likes to pay too much for the next superstar in an attempt to buy some wins, which ironically is why they don't win.

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I agree. I can't tell you how many times I have yelled at the players though the TV to stop dancing and running backwards with the "@*#%" ball. Get the ball and pound the hell out of it....FORWARD. They should relearn what that means. I don't understand why special teams get the ball, hesitate, hop left, hop right, walk forward and then go sideways and eventually go backwards. F that. Do what they did last year...get the ball and run like a freight train and run over anyone who gets in your way.

SoCalFan
09-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Am I the only one who feels the outcome would be different with a healthy Mendy, Troy & James? I welcome the bye!

ChristianKustomz
09-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Damnit! I hate the Ravens! I can't believe they won again....That was absolute BS because if thy pole extended further it would have hit the pole and bounced off and it would not have been a field goal! That in my books WAS NOT A LEGAL FIELD GOAL! Baltimore did not deserve to win. That was a BS win. Rrrrrrrrr! Oh wells. That was the perfect disappointing ending to a disappointing week of football. Night all.

GoFor7
09-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Am I the only one who feels the outcome would be different with a healthy Mendy, Troy & James? I welcome the bye!

Consider the fact that some of these issues started happening back in the Wild Card game when those guys were healthy. Their returns could certainly help, but is that enough?

tony hipchest
09-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Consider the fact that some of these issues started happening back in the Wild Card game when those guys were healthy. Their returns could certainly help, but is that enough?mendenhall was healthy in what wildcard game?

GoFor7
09-23-2012, 11:40 PM
mendenhall was healthy in what wildcard game?

Was referring to the defense.

tony hipchest
09-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Was referring to the defense.oh yeah, our defense was pretty much decimated in the wild card game. keisel, hampton, clark, and then woodley running around on one leg.

sure we had troy and james, but the 2 of them cant take on 11.

jjpro11
09-23-2012, 11:45 PM

I like Mendy, but even Barry Sanders wouldn't do jack shit behind our run blocking. It's as bad as I've ever seen it. The sad thing is, it's not like defenses are even respecting the run. They're main focus is stopping Ben and our wideouts. You'd think that would allow the run game to open up a bit. No chance in hell.

Rick5895
09-24-2012, 03:41 AM
We have grown to be spoiled with the talent we have accumulated on this defense since the early 90's. Last week our CB's played a decent game, in press coverage, this week in zone not so much. That comes from a lack of pressure. No pressure against the Raiders and Palmer does what he's paid to do. Any NFL QB can sit back and throw like a 7 on 7 drill with no pressure and a zone behind the "no pressure" Our CB's are young, they will be fine (IMO) Until we find a suitable replacement for Silverback we are in trouble. Lamarr is playing well. Timmons was caught flat footed on the long TD run by McFadden and got blocked. Carter is finding speed isn't the only thing that gets you to the QB.
As for the DL, this is where I am shocked the most. But we are used to seeing perhaps the best 3-4 DE to play in the NFL. Aaron is gone and Ziggy isn't quite up to the task of replacing him. But then again I felt that Hood was better suited to 3 technique DT than 3-4 end coming out anyway. Keisel is still a beast but because of the lack of consistency other teams stay away from him.
I think Lebeau needs to start allowing the younger kids to play, some may surprise us and also allow Coach Butler to call the defense.
We've had a couple of poor efforts by our D. I am hopeful this can be fixed during the bye and we will be well on our way to finishing the next 13 games 11-2 or 10-3.

pete74
09-24-2012, 03:50 AM
i said earlier that i expect us to win 7-8 games this season. we killed ourselves when we paid troy and harrison all that money. we never really pay our old guys, we always cut them a year early instead of a year late and doing the opposite here really hurt us. another big problem i said earlier was wasting a 1st round pick on Hood and Hewyard. if your drafting a 3-4 end in round 1 you better be certain there game changers. we could of had a good OLB and ILB instead. we really hurt ourselves and our defense willl suffer for it

steeltheone
09-24-2012, 05:17 AM
Traveling across the country 2 out of the first 3 weeks does not help either.

Vulture
09-24-2012, 05:21 AM
I dont care if Troy played the outcome of the game would be the same. Troys days as a superstar are over. His body is worn out, his legs are worn out , he is way to slow and gets beat deep all the time and all the other QB'S know it. I love Troy but I think its time for him to retire.

steeltheone
09-24-2012, 05:38 AM
I dont care if Troy played the outcome of the game would be the same. Troys days as a superstar are over. His body is worn out, his legs are worn out , he is way to slow and gets beat deep all the time and all the other QB'S know it. I love Troy but I think its time for him to retire.

Its not that bad...You will see when he is healthy....

plenewken
09-24-2012, 06:46 AM
What is your problem? Don't call me a troll or an idiot. What is it with you old farts bashing new people that sign on here? I haven't done or said anything to you so don't attack me or name call. If not I will report you to the moderator. That is no way to treat a new person here. It's people like you that discredit and ruin nice forums like this and the people here that are actually good.

So keep it on topic and stop with the abusive name calling.

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

ChristianKustomz
09-24-2012, 08:07 AM
What kills me (especially when trash talking my friends who like the Ravens) is how we go from have the #1 defense in the NFL for 3 consecutive years and go to a 7th rate defense in only 3 games. Our defense looked like they had no heart. Now I understand 70% of our wins are either controversial or ugly but a win is a win right? Well I would have to disagree with myself this time because there is no power coming from our defense. The offense looks sloppy and loose and I think 3 games into the season we should have seen at least some improvement. We got beaten to the ball and for God's sake you have to "CATCH" a ball to make plays. It was frightful to see our defense getting pushed around.

I normally would agree that one player doesn't make a team but I think we have a team that sets itself around certain players. When Mend, Troy and Wallace were healthy and well the team perked up. They were pumped up and their energy focused around them. Like Baltimore with Lewis and Rice. When they are not in the defense is weak. However I believe we shouldn't be as weak as we have shown the last several games. I hope Tomlin has something up his sleeve because we won't beat the Ravens with the defense we have now. I mean really...we got pushed around and defeated by the Raiders. The worst NFL team to date. Steelers fans are hanging their heads lower today. Thanks for nothing Lebeau! You seem to be another Cam Cameron...just disappointing.

I think Tomlin should consider running some third option plays and switch it up a bit since our defense isn't worth the butter we paid them. We have an opportunity now that Suggs is out to have a better chance to defeat the Ravens so Tomlin better have a back up to his back up plan. I would be devastated to see a repeat of last year. I hope there are people from the Steelers who read this forum to see how us fans are disappointed with the last couple games. Maybe they will take some of our ideas or see they are hurting our chances of winning and do something to change.

Oh and did anyone else see that BullSh*t kick to win the game? New England got robbed. If that upright was a few inches taller it would have not been a field goal. Ravens didn't deserve to win.

Fire Haley
09-24-2012, 08:14 AM
the kick was good - even I could see that from my couch

but since this about the defense

Last 5 Raider drives -

TD
TD
TD
FG
FG

That is pathetic.

steelfury02
09-24-2012, 08:26 AM
my wife asked me this morning if I thought some of the Steelers vets on defense have lost their edge and are too "fat and happy." She said that if they expect to do anything they better come with a lot more fire, and especially on the road or she feels we aren't doing jack shit and they aren't the type of team to do anything as a wild card.

I reminded her of all the injuries and her response was "So what, do you think the 05', 08', and 10' team would have come out as flat as they have on the road? At this point, we might as well put the young guys in to see if they want it more."

Can't say I fully disagree with that idea. The sky isn't falling, injuries are a factor, but something else needs to change on this team, and like other posters have said - I just don't see the desire on the defensive side of the ball. Great teams make up for it. There is no excuse for yesterday's performance - one of the worst I've seen in a while.

STEELAMANIA
09-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Carter has no sacks........no pressure......Either they replace him with someone who can get sacks other than a limpy Harrison, I see no changes in this defense and the only way we win is if we get into a scoring contest.

Fire Arians
09-24-2012, 01:35 PM
i said earlier that i expect us to win 7-8 games this season. we killed ourselves when we paid troy and harrison all that money. we never really pay our old guys, we always cut them a year early instead of a year late and doing the opposite here really hurt us. another big problem i said earlier was wasting a 1st round pick on Hood and Hewyard. if your drafting a 3-4 end in round 1 you better be certain there game changers. we could of had a good OLB and ILB instead. we really hurt ourselves and our defense willl suffer for it

I'm still thinking 10-6, we are still tough to beat at home and will go either 6-2 or 7-1 there. Then prolly go 3-5 on the road. Ever since tomlin took over this team hasn't been road warriors

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Steelers D wilts without Polamalu

Pittsburgh needs to get injured star safety back on the field

Updated: September 25, 2012
By Vince Verhei | Football Outsiders

Despite four touchdowns from Ben Roethlisberger and a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Pittsburgh Steelers fell to the Oakland Raiders 34-31 on Sunday. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin looked on helplessly as his defense allowed the Raiders to score three touchdowns and two field goals on their final five drives.

It was so bad that Tomlin ordered his offense to go for it on fourth-and-1 with less than four minutes to go in a tie game at his own 29-yard line. Failure would have handed the ball to Oakland in field goal range, but Tomlin apparently felt that if he punted, he couldn't trust his defense to get a stop. The Steelers picked up the first down, but the drive later stalled and Pittsburgh punted on fourth-and-9.

Oakland promptly drove 49 yards for the winning field goal as time expired, proving that Tomlin's lack of faith in his defense was justified. While the loss was obviously disappointing for Tomlin and the Steelers, it shouldn't have been terribly surprising, because Troy Polamalu was in street clothes. When Polamalu is on the field, the Steelers play defense as well as any team in football. Without him, they suddenly become very vulnerable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8423281/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-defense-wilts-troy-polamalu

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 02:39 PM
and if he gets injured again?

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 07:49 PM
2012 Pittsburgh Steelers defense conjuring memories of the defensive collapse of 2009

Submitted by Syndicated sources on September 25, 2012

As the fallout from Sunday’s horrible loss continues to build, the memory of one play should continue to standout as a potentially unwanted harbinger for Pittsburgh Steelers fans. No, it is not the 64-yard Darren McFadden touchdown run, or the borderline hit that Ryan Mundy delivered to Darius Heyward-Bey, Not even close. The play was a fourth down call by head coach Mike Tomlin in their own territory where the Steelers went for it on a fourth-and-one.With that call to the offense, Tomlin delivered a clear message that he had little to no faith in the defense to stop the Oakland Raiders offense. The Steelers converted that play, but could not finish the drive, something that overshadowed the call, and allowed the Raiders to pull out the victory.

While it is not a shock that the defense has struggled at times without stars James Harrison and Troy Polamalu, but these issues seem to run a lot deeper than those two injured players. During their two losses, the Steelers defense seemed to be outplayed in the second half, unable to either stop the run or pass in either game. In the first loss, Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning shredded the defense in the no-huddle with short passes and a balance of run and pass. Sunday, quarterback Carson Palmer did not use the no-huddle, but the balanced attack was there.

Again, some will point to the injured players, but that should be viewed as s a falsity, as this same defense was in place in week two against the New York Jets and they stood up and delivered a physical performance. However, the Jets offense lacks the playmakers in the backfield that the Raiders boast and Mark Sanchez is nowhere near the quarterback that Palmer is.

Sure, the players are at fault as they are the ones that have to make plays, but schematically, the Steelers do not match-up well with a short controlled passing attack. For some this is no surprise, as memories of the 2009 season begin to creep into mind. It is hard to forget that season or this offensive game plan, one that has killed the Pittsburgh defense on-and-off for the past few seasons, especially that season.

With the bye week on tap, the coaching staff and defensive players must stand-up and face a tough reality. If they do not fix this fundamental flaw, it will be a long season in Pittsburgh.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/2012_pittsburgh_steelers_defense_conjuring_memorie s_of_the_defensive_collapse_of_2009/11803183

tony hipchest
09-25-2012, 09:36 PM
in the middle of the 3rd qtr the raiders faced 3rd and 1 inside the steelers 10. hand off to mcfadden. l. foote knives in the hole like a speeding bullet, in perfect position to make the tackle for a loss (forcing a fg) and simply misses. 1st down. raiders score a td 3 plays later and cuts the lead 24-21.

good defensive call, but mcfadden, easilly being a top 100 player in this league, wins that round like he is supposed to.

easilly correctable.

moving on

Fire Haley
09-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Timmons used to run like a deer - now he must be on Woodley and Ziggy's bulk up poundage menu - they all look fat and slow

Bayz101
09-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Timmons used to run like a deer - now he must be on Woodley and Ziggy's bulk up poundage menu - they all look fat and slow

Timmons actually lost weight, which makes things all the more confusing.

tony hipchest
09-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Timmons actually lost weight.

so did ziggy and woodley. :noidea:

many fans watch the games wearing beer goggles, ESPECIALLY the games that start late afternoon or in the evenings.

maybe people will become more observant with their viewing analysis once we actually play an early game. :hunch:

maybe the steelers will get back to their winning ways- (make no mistake, the players love a normal routine and those early day starts... especially at home).

Bayz101
09-26-2012, 01:01 AM
so did ziggy and woodley. :noidea:

many fans watch the games wearing beer goggles, ESPECIALLY the games that start late afternoon or in the evenings.

maybe people will become more observant with their viewing analysis once we actually play an early game. :hunch:

maybe the steelers will get back to their winning ways- (make no mistake, the players love a normal routine and those early day starts... especially at home).

Killer pointed out that "Timmons used to run like a deer" and insinuated that maybe he's put on weight and can't do so anymore. I'm simply bringing it to his attention that Timmons actually shed some pounds this offseason, and for whatever reason he "seems" to be slower isn't because of his weight at all.

As you pointed out earlier, Foote ran like a speeding bullet and overran a tackle. Maybe Timmons is being hesitant for that very reason?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Rotorhead
09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Here is the reason 2 players will make this defense better:
Clark simply makes Troy better, Troy knows Clark can tackle, wont be out of position and can cover. Clark knkws Troys tendencies and know where the holes will be whne Troy is being Troy. Having Mundy in either position kills our secondary as he has shown to be a subpar tackler, tends to over pursue, and is not the best in coverage. Troy and Clark are as good a tandem as you can get at safety, but they need to be out together. Troy and Clark together stuffed the Jets, the othe 2 games we were shredded.
Harrison demands a double team and still pushes the pocket over to Woodley. If you double team both Harrison and Woodley someone else will go free to pressure. Harrison and Woodley are a team, together they wreak havoc, seperately we get no pressure.
Two players hold the key to our def woes, not individually, but what they allow others to do in their presence.

Atlanta Dan
09-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Steelers D wilts without Polamalu

Pittsburgh needs to get injured star safety back on the field

Updated: September 25, 2012
By Vince Verhei | Football Outsiders

Despite four touchdowns from Ben Roethlisberger and a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter, the Pittsburgh Steelers fell to the Oakland Raiders 34-31 on Sunday. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin looked on helplessly as his defense allowed the Raiders to score three touchdowns and two field goals on their final five drives.

It was so bad that Tomlin ordered his offense to go for it on fourth-and-1 with less than four minutes to go in a tie game at his own 29-yard line. Failure would have handed the ball to Oakland in field goal range, but Tomlin apparently felt that if he punted, he couldn't trust his defense to get a stop. The Steelers picked up the first down, but the drive later stalled and Pittsburgh punted on fourth-and-9.

Oakland promptly drove 49 yards for the winning field goal as time expired, proving that Tomlin's lack of faith in his defense was justified. While the loss was obviously disappointing for Tomlin and the Steelers, it shouldn't have been terribly surprising, because Troy Polamalu was in street clothes. When Polamalu is on the field, the Steelers play defense as well as any team in football. Without him, they suddenly become very vulnerable.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8423281/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-defense-wilts-troy-polamalu

Yep - same thing happened in 2009 when the defense kept coughing up 4th quarter leads with an injured Troy on the bench, with the low point for me being the Oakland loss at home

Fire Haley
09-26-2012, 01:52 PM
well if the players aren't slow then the scheme must be putting them in the wrong position to make plays

and if you can't pressure the QB all the scheming in the world is worthless. Carter and Worilds have been zeros. We need Harrison back to have a chance and who knows long he'll last.

ChristianKustomz
09-26-2012, 07:39 PM
It seems that on every play there was no pressure from the defense. I remember reading comments during the pre-season on my app NFL '12 from the defensive coach about how he was going to "change" the way the defense was because he "knew" he could make it better. I think Big Ben put it best when he said "he just needs to leave well enough alone. We work well as a team and we should not be forced to alter our playing styles. We just need to refine what we have. As for me I don't really care what the coaching staff has to say. I'm going to play my ball and Thats, that.". Spoken like a true leader. Big Ben needs to tell the Defensive coach "IT'S NOT WORKING-YOUR WAY SUCKS AND IS COSTING US GAMES".

This new defensive strategy and positioning and game playing is simply terrible. The players have changed and they are not playing in the positions they are used to. They all seem defeated before the game begins. It's like they have no heart to win. No intensity. I don't know if the coaching has beaten them down or if they got lax in their requirements from their players but this is simply retarded! Someone needs to light a fire under their asses and make them mad. Give them something to want them to rip someone to shreds. I don't care what but just do something other then the direction they have taken my beloved team. Power up the defense and MAKE them find that intensity within or we won't have a shot at beating those piss pot Ravens or even making it to the SB. It's still early in the season but we can't lose much more before being bumped out.

Mr. Tomlin if you are reading this...please bring my team back to the greatness we all know they are capable of and make them fight! The seasons not over but it will be if you don't woop their butts into shape!

Run after the ball. Make tackles and act like you want to play.

Stairway to 7
09-27-2012, 04:16 AM
This is a sad day in Pittsburgh history. I will be hanging my head low and hanging up my terrible towel for the night.

stfu.

steelfury02
09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Damn you to hell BYE WEEK

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/23121192.jpg

Hawaii 5-0
09-28-2012, 01:56 AM
the defense has been outright offensive so far this season...

ChristianKustomz
09-28-2012, 04:52 AM
Personally I think the bye week will be good for Pittsburgh. It will give them time to fix the chinks in the defense and hopefully light a fire under the defensive's butts because another game like we had against the Raiders and we might as well just hang it up for the season.

And to "Stairway to 7" do not speak like that to me again or I will report you to the moderator. Verbal attacks like that are not tolerated and against the rules you agreed to here. Keep it about football and not slurs or personal attacks on people.

Hawaii 5-0
09-30-2012, 06:48 PM
Steelers seek remedy for mediocre defense

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=giRSl mal2MIIp0LPz$9z88$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtEdPS2FxoQL7s hEHmLrp9pWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Raiders running back Darren McFadden (right) comes down with the ball as Steelers inside linebacker Larry Foote looks on during the fourth quarter of a game in Oakland, Calif., on Sunday, Sept. 23, 2012

By Alan Robinson
Published: Sunday, September 30, 2012

Cam Heyward often wears a “Steel Curtain” T-shirt, a sign that he recognizes the tradition of defensive excellence that is not only expected but is mandated whenever a player joins the Steelers.

Let down in a single game, and you are letting down Mel Blount and Jack Ham, Joe Greene and Rod Woodson, Jack Lambert and your teammates, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison.

A season ago, the Steelers allowed the fewest yards and points in the NFL. It wasn’t an anomaly. Since the 1970 NFL merger, they also are No. 1 in the same two categories, which measure not just a team’s ability to control an opponent but to keep it off the scoreboard.

“This city’s built on defense,” linebacker Larry Foote said. “This locker room is built on it.”

Except that being without Harrison (knee) for the season to date and Polamalu (calf) for two games has significantly weakened that foundation. The Steelers aren’t getting off the field on third downs, aren’t pressuring the quarterback consistently, aren’t getting off the field at all in the second half.

“We aren’t whipping the guy across from us,” safety Ryan Clark said.

When they resume practicing Monday following their weekend off, the Steelers will try to sort out whether going from the top of the heap to the middle or below in numerous statistical categories represents a fixable letdown or a non-repairable breakdown.

They don’t know when they’ll get back Harrison, who can’t seem to get on the practice field regularly, much less play a game. They expect Polamalu to be all right — he practiced last week — but he’s 31, so it might be unfair to anticipate him being the player he was only a couple of years ago.

No, whether this defense will begin to resemble those of the recent past will be up to Heyward and Ziggy Hood, Foote and Lawrence Timmons, Keenan Lewis and Ike Taylor.

“In this business, you are never as good as you think you are and you are never quite as bad as maybe they say you are,” defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. “We are getting good effort and good plays, but not enough.”

That was evident when Peyton Manning led three scoring drives during the second half in Denver, and when Carson Palmer led five scoring drives in the second half in Oakland. And a defense that rarely allows big plays already has given up a 71-yard touchdown pass (Demaryius Thomas) and a 64-yard TD run (Darren McFadden).

They have only five sacks, only three turnovers forced. Opponents are converting at a 48 percent rate on third down (16 of 33), the fifth highest in the league.

“That’s why we call third down the ‘money down,’ ” Foote said. “You’ve got to get off the field.”

Foote and LeBeau both suggested the defensive lapses have occurred in part because players are trying to do too much, such as failing to control their gap when they see a teammate in distress.

“I found with this group of guys that generally that is a condition,” LeBeau said. “If a team is moving the ball a little bit, they want to do a little more to stop them. That is a good problem to have. But it is a problem nonetheless. We can’t do that. We have to trust the defense, trust the teammate, focus and play.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2681024-85/steelers-defense-aren-defensive-field-foote-lebeau-getting-half-harrison#ixzz27zZvR3nt

ChristianKustomz
10-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Now that we had a bye let's see what Pitts have done to correct their defense so we don't have a repeat of the last ...cough,cough 3 games. Yes even our win looked rough.

GoFor7
10-06-2012, 10:49 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000077593/article/harrison-woodley-to-rotate-for-steelers-vs-eagles?module=HP11_headline_stack

Harrison, Woodley to rotate for Steelers vs. Eagles
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: Oct. 6, 2012 at 09:57 a.m.
Updated: Oct. 6, 2012 at 11:11 a.m.

The Pittsburgh Steelers will finally look like the Pittsburgh Steelers again when the Philadelphia Eagles visit on Sunday.

With the return of outside linebacker James Harrison and strong safety Troy Polamalu, this team regains two players that have been sorely missed on a defense that's allowed an uncharacteristic 25 points per game.

Harrison hasn't played since last season and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau plans to bring him along slowly against the Eagles. Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Harrison will rotate with Chris Carter. Another veteran, LaMarr Woodley, will rotate with Jason Worilds, with an eye toward keeping the veteran linebackers fresh through four quarters.

"I have to come off," Harrison said. "It's no need being out there, being dog-tired, and not be able to do what's necessary to play the position. You want to stay fresh. You don't want to go out there and play every snap in the first half and come out sluggish in the third and have nothing left in the fourth."

Harrison and Woodley have been two of the team's best players over the years, but this defense blew a 10-point lead in a Week 3 loss to the Oakland Raiders, and that's what eats at LeBeau, who wants to keep his outside linebackers driving at the quarterback until the end.

We're not sure if Harrison's presence will do enough to stop some of the long runs this team has allowed. Polamalu will remedy the turnover drought, but who can rescue the Steelers' defensive line, which has been a mess during the team's 1-2 start? These familair faces will be welcomed back, but not to a defense they're used to.

Follow Marc Sessler on Twitter @MarcSesslerNFL.

I get why they would rotate Harrison, but why Woodley?

ChristianKustomz
10-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Oh my God! Here we go again! Defense is letting us down and giving up yards to the Eagles. God almighty...when the hell is our defense going to start doing their job? Between that an the absurd number of penalties I am ready to shut the TV off!

ChristianKustomz
10-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Oh and one more thing too...our offense needs to learn to "CATCH" the ball!

ChristianKustomz
10-07-2012, 04:12 PM
What an ugly win.

SteelCurtain5643
10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Any injury updates yet on Woodley and Polamalu? Im guessin Troys out for thursdays game, but I hope to god Woodley isnt serious

ChristianKustomz
10-07-2012, 08:37 PM
No word yet. However I do find it coincidental and suspicious that Troys out again. I am wondering if he is just tired of playing football and using this as an excuse to not play and still get paid. Troys intensity has been anything but substantial and Woodley is a definite hurt for our lineup.

jiminpa
10-07-2012, 08:52 PM
No word yet. However I do find it coincidental and suspicious that Troys out again. I am wondering if he is just tired of playing football and using this as an excuse to not play and still get paid. Troys intensity has been anything but substantial and Woodley is a definite hurt for our lineup.Not Troy's character. He would just retire at that point. He hopped the whole way across the field on one foot. If he was just lazy he could have just dropped on the field and waited for the cart. No, it's looking more comparable to Bradshaw's arm, where he wasn't ready and went out and played anyway. I hope the career ending part is not the same.

ChristianKustomz
10-07-2012, 09:10 PM
I agree. I personally like Troy but it just seems to me lately that a lot more NFL players are crying wolf over a small injury. Look at Big Ben...busted ankle, broken thumb and bruised ribs and the man was out on the field playing every play. And then you see these guys get a bruise or an elbow sprain or a sore foot and they are out half the season. I used to play football an probably would have gone pro if I had not quit to follow my dream I'm living now and let me tell you...I played hurt all the time. With passion and desire and all heart...nothing will keep a player off the field. When you have a super star take a bench it hurts moral and seeing how awful our offense and especially our defense have been failing every play just about we need all the moral and passion we can get. It just seems like none of them have the drive or desire to win. They run slow, block lazily and don't catch the damn ball. Just my two cents though. Just my opinion and view.

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 09:12 PM
No word yet. However I do find it coincidental and suspicious that Troys out again. I am wondering if he is just tired of playing football and using this as an excuse to not play and still get paid. .

pardon my french but are you ****ING SERIOUS??? thats more absurd than those who think lebeau is just half assing it and mailing it in for the season. :doh:

some fans just need to learn to sack up and take a loss (whether it be a player or game) instead of going elbow deep in their own ass to pull out a weak excuse.

:banging:

defence
10-07-2012, 09:41 PM
pardon my french but are you ****ING SERIOUS??? thats more absurd than those who think lebeau is just half assing it and mailing it in for the season. :doh:

some fans just need to learn to sack up and take a loss (whether it be a player or game) instead of going elbow deep in their own ass to pull out a weak excuse.

:banging:

I have a SERIOUS question. How the heck are you a mod on this board?? SERIOUSLY!! Have some class and tone down your language a bit. It's a message board; you are not going to agree with everything people are gonna say. People come here to express there thoughts. You sound like a bright guy; don't ruin your reputation with those kind of responses. Just a thought Tony!!

tony hipchest
10-07-2012, 10:24 PM
I have a SERIOUS question. How the heck are you a mod on this board?? SERIOUSLY!! Have some class and tone down your language a bit. It's a message board; you are not going to agree with everything people are gonna say. People come here to express there thoughts. You sound like a bright guy; don't ruin your reputation with those kind of responses. Just a thought Tony!!

from the SF code of conduct-

2. Do not make needless, incessant usage of:

-Emoticons.
-Line breaks or ALL-CAPS.
-Nested quotes.
-Giant fonts.
-Bad language. Mild cursing is tolerated in moderation, but be careful of your tone, especially against fellow posters.
my tone was more of shock than anger or abusive language towards a fellow poster. no different than you saying "heck" in my mind.

when it comes to enforcing the COC i grant myself the same leeway, i would grant anybody else, whether they been posting on this board for a month or 10 years.

thank you for bringing about your concern in a respectful manner and not trying to moderate the board yourself (as stipulated in the COC).

:drink:

ChristianKustomz
10-08-2012, 09:23 PM
First off...wow. I did not mean to get the two of you into a fight. Second you have to admit a lot of teams have players crying wolf over an injury a simple bandaid would fix and thirdly I want to retract a few comments I made earlier about the defense coaching.

While watching the Texans and Jets game tonight I came across some information I was not aware of. Now I still out a large portion of blame on the defensive coaching (in their words "we are going to try some different things this year...") but I heard a phrase made by a defensive coordinator to a few defensive players. "Come on guys...we have a chance to make these guys into meatballs but you have to run the plays the way I have coached you! It has worked for 15 years. It doesn't fail! I'm begging you...please for god's sake just run the plays I taught you. I'm begging you!"

So I think that sums it up. Apparently there's more to the bad defense then just bad coaching.

tony hipchest
10-08-2012, 09:55 PM
no worries...

troy simply isnt that type of player. he has talked about turning down offers to become an endorsement wh0re in the past, simply because he didnt need all the extra cash. naturally, the head and shoulders gig is too good to pass up and one that will most likely advance his career beyond football.

troy has also not been shy about his dedication to the game and teammates. he wont short change them and has absolutely no problem walking away when the time is right. its simply not in his character to cry wolf just to collect a paycheck.

you note the DC imploring his defenders to play within the system that has worked for 15 years. this is exactly what larry foote was talking about when he said some of the players dont trust lebeau [or the system- implied].

things should get better. troy, james, and woodleys appendages will heal and the younger players will continue to learn...

teegre
10-08-2012, 10:25 PM
While watching the Texans and Jets game tonight I came across some information I was not aware of. Now I still out a large portion of blame on the defensive coaching (in their words "we are going to try some different things this year...") but I heard a phrase made by a defensive coordinator to a few defensive players. "Come on guys...we have a chance to make these guys into meatballs but you have to run the plays the way I have coached you! It has worked for 15 years. It doesn't fail! I'm begging you...please for god's sake just run the plays I taught you. I'm begging you!"

So I think that sums it up. Apparently there's more to the bad defense then just bad coaching.

Technically, it was RBs coach, Kirby Wilson, saying it to Redman & Rainey... but, the point is the same.

Hawaii 5-0
10-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Kovacevic: Steelers backed into a corner

By Dejan Kovacevic
Published: Tuesday, October 9, 2012

http://triblive.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=X6bJz yAOjYqTJpH$WA4nSM$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYuStYo7hRYUFh$ wZqJ8F9QaWCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

The Steelers' Ryan Clark directs his frustation over a third quarter penalty towards the referees at Heinz Field Sunday, October 7, 201

There might not be a sadder sight, in this or any other realm, than Superman looking vulnerable.

You should have seen Troy Polamalu dragging along his right leg in a big black boot Tuesday, snailing his way through the Steelers’ headquarters. There still wasn’t any official word on the severity of his aggravated calf injury, but suffice it to say he didn’t need a boot the first time around.

Sad, indeed.

Polamalu isn’t done, as so many seem to be fretting. It’s only a calf injury, he’s 31, and he very much has the will to continue what’s already a Hall of Fame career. Even if the cape is folded up for good, the cerebral Clark Kent brand of No. 43 is better than most any NFL safety out there.

As nickel back Cortez Allen told me Tuesday, “There’s still no one else like him.”

The real question facing the Steelers is how the secondary will get by in the interim, beginning Thursday night in Tennessee.

Think they’re up to it?

I feel that way about Ryan Clark, who’s been terrific apart from a couple notable brain cramps.

But the rest?

Ike Taylor had a fine 2011 right up until he met Demaryius Thomas in Denver, both at the end of last season and the start of this one. Whether those wounded him or not, overall this season, he’s allowed 16 completions on the 29 times his receiver has been the pass target, according to Pro Football Focus. That ranks 134th out of 164 cornerbacks in the NFL.

Yeah, really.

Taylor can play much better, and he knows it.

Keenan Lewis, a first-year starter, has allowed 15 completions on 24 targets. That ranks 157th. And his next official pass defensed will be his first.

Unlike Taylor, no one knows if Lewis can play better. There’s no precedent.

No one knows if Curtis Brown can replace him, either. The franchise’s highest draft pick among defensive backs in the past six years — third round, 2011 — still can’t find his way to the field.

Allen has fit in with the rest, allowing 10 completions on 14 targets. That ranks 115th.

At safety, Mundy has allowed nine completions on 12 targets. That ranks 119th.

Mike Tomlin strongly hinted Monday that he’ll spell Mundy with Will Allen, but that’s hardly the cavalry. Allen, 30, is in his ninth NFL season and hasn’t made a start since Oct. 4, 2009.

Answers, anyone?

Who among these men looks poised to make a difference?

Naturally, all hands will go up.

“With Troy not being there, it’ll be tough, but we strive to pick up our game every week,” Cortez Allen said. “The standard is the standard. We’ll get it done.”

“Even with Troy, we’ve got to get better,” Lewis said.

Lewis is right, of course, as the above numbers illustrate. There’s ample room to improve.

But he also made a point to underscore that the Steelers’ overall pass defense numbers are “pretty good,” and he’s right about that, too: They rank third in the NFL in allowing 185 yards per game. Other than Thomas, no individual receiver has topped 67 yards. In fact, beyond Thomas’ 71-yard catch-and-run in the opener, there has been only one other pass of 25 yards or longer.

“We know the numbers that matter,” Lewis said.

Those are fair points based on hard numbers. I can respect that.

As he and Allen both explained, the gap between the team and individual numbers could be based on the defensive coaches, Dick LeBeau and Carnell Lake, hoping to avoid big plays.

“We’re tackling the catch,” Allen said. “That’s not to say we can’t still do better, but that’s what our focus is.”

And that works just fine in limiting the big plays. But it wasn’t nearly good enough when the Eagles drip-drip-dripped their way to a 17-play, 79-yard drive that nearly gave the Steelers a 1-3 record Sunday.

To echo Allen, the Steelers can do better at this position.

That they haven’t isn’t exactly an accident.

In the six drafts under Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, they’ve picked only eight defensive backs, none in the top two rounds and only one who found sustained work: That was William Gay, class of 2007. He started last season but was held in such low regard that management didn’t lift a pinky to keep him from walking as a free agent afterward.

Most of the rest of the picks are barely worth mentioning. One could argue that Polamalu and Clark not only have covered the Steelers’ mistakes on the field, per their job description, but also in the drafts.

And yet, Tomlin and Colbert brought a roster into Latrobe that had no real fail-safe for Polamalu and/or Clark being hurt at safety, and no real replacement for Gay.

The reckoning is at hand.

It might not come against Matt Hasselbeck and a Tennessee offense so plodding that running back Chris Johnson told Nashville reporters this week: “I don’t think we’re close right now.”

It might not even come before Polamalu returns.

But it will come. And there will be Hail Mary to pay.

http://triblive.com/sports/columnists/2742594-74/allen-steelers-lewis-numbers-polamalu-clark-completions-nfl-pass-ranks?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29#ixzz28rdxwgFL

OX1947
10-10-2012, 01:17 AM
Since some on here have gotten their jocks in a tangle already, look at it this way. You need 2 things in this era of Roger Cockdell football to win Superbowls. One, franchise Qb, 2 luck. No, not Andrew luck, pure olde luck of perfect timing at the end of the year. Steelers have a franchise Qb, and with the luck the steelers have had recently, how can they not get some good at the end of this. So, we have to wait and see. Stop burying Troy, its a ****ing calf injury, not a amputation.

ChristianKustomz
10-13-2012, 02:57 PM
True but I still believe that a defense should not fall to pieces because 1 or two players aren't there. It takes a team to win not a single player. If you do lose then there was a problem to begin with that needed addressing. You should have a defense that compensates when there is a weakness there. The Steelers have done that for a few years now consecutively but they are broken this year. There is a huge hole where Troy and Clark should be. One person should not make the defense. That actually shows how weak the new players really are. As stated above in the interview "One could argue that Polamalu and Clark not only have covered the Steelers’ mistakes on the field, per their job description, but also in the drafts" and "There is no fail safe setup for Troy or Clark"? Is our defense really that weak that without Troy we have a weak defense? Is the defense really that pathetic? So far it seems to be true because Thursdays game against the Titans proved my point over and over and over again.

Come on Pittsburgh! Straighten up! Your letting us fans down this year!
P.S. the Baltimore fans are really a mean natured and aggressive fans. I am sick of hearing them bash my team this year.

FanSince72
10-13-2012, 06:20 PM
True but I still believe that a defense should not fall to pieces because 1 or two players aren't there. It takes a team to win not a single player. If you do lose then there was a problem to begin with that needed addressing. You should have a defense that compensates when there is a weakness there. The Steelers have done that for a few years now consecutively but they are broken this year. There is a huge hole where Troy and Clark should be. One person should not make the defense. That actually shows how weak the new players really are. As stated above in the interview "One could argue that Polamalu and Clark not only have covered the Steelers’ mistakes on the field, per their job description, but also in the drafts" and "There is no fail safe setup for Troy or Clark"? Is our defense really that weak that without Troy we have a weak defense? Is the defense really that pathetic? So far it seems to be true because Thursdays game against the Titans proved my point over and over and over again.

P.S. the Baltimore fans are really a mean natured and aggressive fans. I am sick of hearing them bash my team this year.

THIS^^^

We have the talent (and allegedly the coaching) to have if not a "shut down" D then at least a defense solid enough to win a game in which we score 23 points. It's fine if a player like Troy or Woodley makes us "even better", but we should still be able to take care of business when they're hurt instead of basically folding our tents and hoping for a miracle.

TRH
10-13-2012, 06:29 PM

Speaking of the Ravens...the one thing i would like to see, is our defense take the field each and every time with that rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth, hyped up attitude that they almost always have. I'd LOVE to see that.

FanSince72
10-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Speaking of the Ravens...the one thing i would like to see, is our defense take the field each and every time with that rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth, hyped up attitude that they almost always have. I'd LOVE to see that.

I hear ya' dude.

But to be perfectly honest, the last time I really saw that kind of fire -- I mean REALLY saw it was when we had Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd terrorizing QB's.

It's been there off and on a few times since, but I've yet to see that kind of intensity in any recent version of our defense.

ChristianKustomz
10-13-2012, 08:44 PM
I second that. Fire and frost thirsty, slap your dog and lick your teacher mad! Lol. But I do agree...we need some kind of passion!

Hawaii 5-0
10-16-2012, 04:05 PM
Ed: More Sacks Might Mean More Picks

TUESDAY, 16 OCTOBER 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

The Steelers have two interceptions through five games. This, after they managed just 11 all last season, tying their all-time low in their modern history, which began in 1969.

Their pace this season, then, would be their all-time low of six. Six interceptions! They’ve had more than that in one game – 7 vs. the Kansas City Chiefs in 1974, on the road to boot (that’s another issue for another day, playing on the road). Jack Butler once intercepted four passes in a game in 1953 against the Washington Redskins (again on the road). Mel Blount holds the team record with 11 in the 1975 seasons and three others have had 10, including Butler and fellow Hall of Famer Bil Dudley.

Maybe you have to be a Hall of Fame cornerback to intercept passes. No one is suggesting there are any at cornerback on this team. There isn’t even a Pro Bowl cornerback and hasn’t been since Rod Woodson left. It’s the biggest drought at Pro Bowl at any position on the team.

If they are hitting you smack in the hands with no one else around and you still can’t pick them off, is there any hope? Why would anyone think they’ll suddenly turn into pass thieves this season after they hit their all-time low last season? Here’s why: They intercepted 21 passes in 2010. Of course, they also had 48 sacks that season (compared to just 35 last season). Ryan Clark is among those who believe the two go hand in hand.
“As the pressure increases and as we’re able to get to the quarterback, move him off a spot and rattle him, we’ll have more opportunities for interceptions,’’ Clark told me yesterday.

The question thus becomes, will that happen? Can they get to the quarterback? They have 12 sacks in five games. That comes to 38 sacks, not much more than last season. If they cannot get more pressure on the quarterback, don’t look for more interceptions. Even though they went 12-4 last season with only 35 sacks and 11 interceptions, it will be hard for them to duplicate that record if they don’t turn up the heat on defense in this one.

Onto some stuff:

--- No defense has been hit harder than Baltimore’s. They managed to go 5-1 without Terrell Suggs, but without Ray Lewis and cornerback Ladarius Webb, no defense has been hit harder. Steelers fans won’t feel sorry for them, but there has to be empathy, knowing what the Steelers defense has and is going through the past two seasons with injuries.

--- No, Ike Taylor is not going to be benched. You have to have someone to replace him and the Steelers cannot come close. If Mike Tomlin were going to bench a cornerback, he would have done so in 2009 when he promised changes in the lineup and then made none other than to his nickel cornerback.

--- The dropped pass by Keenan Lewis that likely cost the Steelers a victory in Tennessee, recalled the drop pass by Joe Burnett that cost the Steelers a victory against Oakland in that 2009 season and thus a playoff spot. Burnett seemed to be a promising rookie cornerback at the time, a fifth-round draft pick. However, that dropped interception on Dec. 6 was among the last things he would do in the NFL. He was among the Steelers final cuts before the 2010 season. He played for the Jacksonville sharks of the UFL in 2011 and is now on the roster of the CFL Edmonton Eskimos, where on July 20 he set a team record with a 108-yard interception return.

Your questions:

--- YOU: Probably meaningless, but there has been a recent change in listed positions on the Steelers.com roster. Colon is now listed as T and Pouncey is listed as C/G. It wasn't like that just a few days ago.
http://www.steelers.com/team/roster.html

ME: You, sir, are spending way too much time on the computer. No, a glitch, most likely.

--- YOU: Enjoyed your article on Steeler books, especially a forthcoming book on Chuck Noll. Is there any way to petition NFL Network/Films to produce Chuck Noll A Football Life? If they can produce episodes with a known cheater in Belichek and an accessory to murder in Ray Lewis, they should make one with a class act like Chuck. I believe he has never got his due because he never wanted the limelight like John Madden or Jimmy Johnson. What are your thoughts?

ME: I don’t think the NFL Network recognizes much exists from the 20th century. That, by the way, was Chuck’s choice not to seek the limelight and he was very happy out of it. He did make the Pro Football Hall of Fame as the only coach with four Super Bowl victories.

--- YOU: Hi, Ed. I know this was a long time ago and Steelers’ fans tend to have short memories, but in ’95 the team was 3-4 after 7 games and made it to the Super Bowl. At 2-3, do you see this team being able to turn it around and have a successful season? I don’t see the leadership on the team in’12 that there was in ’95. Thanks!

ME: yes, they can do it. Will they, is the question. How do you like Baltimore this morning at 5-1 but with all those injuries? I don’t know about a Super Bowl, but the AFC North is wide open. People keep bringing up “leadership” as if that’s a problem. I know of no lack of leadership on this team. That’s an easy excuse for people to use.

--- YOU: Where are the new impact players needed to sustain the traditional level of Steeler line play?
ME: They have yet to make an impact. Remember that 3-4 defensive lineman rarely make big plays, but so far the ordinary ones are not being made as consistently either.

--- YOU: What do you have to say about what seems to be recurring injuries to Pouncy, Mendenhall, Polamalu and even Harrison and Woodley?

ME: That they play football and injuries occur.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118513-ed-more-sacks-might-mean-more-picks