PDA

View Full Version : Who do you blame for this loss?

ETL
09-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Who do you blame for this loss?

GoFor7
09-23-2012, 09:32 PM
The defense....

Darkstorm05
09-23-2012, 09:33 PM
The Raiders.

steelfury02
09-23-2012, 09:35 PM
the grilled cheese that fell on the floor - damn non-stick pan! I knew it was too slippery, had to clean it up instead of holding my terrible towel - jinxed the whole damn thing . . .:flap:

50% is on the defense
25% is on the special teams
25% is on AB

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 09:37 PM
whoever fumbled the ball.

steelfan23
09-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Tomlin

AndyWitmyer
09-23-2012, 09:43 PM
God. And my cat, Barrett.

tony hipchest
09-23-2012, 09:44 PM
antonio brown and his 2 fumbles (1 he luckily recovered for a TD)

casteeler
09-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Is it time for a change to 4-3? The OLBs are not doing what they are put there to do, the CBs can't cover for more than 2 seconds so in order to help this horrid pass coverage should there be a change? As it stands the Steelers will be lucky to win 7-8 games this season

AndyWitmyer
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM

Brown was like partway between being a total loser and a great player - it just goes to show you that in this game, there's a often a fine line between being an MVP ...or a miserable failure.

Darkstorm05
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM

That second one was horrifying. It also had the stench of showboating on it. We didn't need an extra 2 yards THAT bad.

btaylor179
09-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I SAID WEEKS AGO WE WILL BE 8 AND 8.....BETWEEN OUR SCHEDULE AND OUR DEFENSE........WE HAVE A BAD DEFENSE

PhantomJB93
09-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Antonio Brown had some bad fumbles, but there's no way that Raiders offense should have put up 30+ points on us in the first place. The defense is abysmal this year and it's not just the absence of Harrison and Polamalu.

Fire Haley
09-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Ben had 384 yds and 4TD's....anybody that blames the offense is a complete idiot

LeBeau's dogshit pass defense has to go - I'd start cutting tomorrow

Oakland had 3 DB's off the waiver wire starting that weren't even on the team 2 weeks ago and they played better than our worthless bums - we can do just as well....cut every last one of these new Young Gun DB's and get on the damn phone and go get some cast-offs - pronto - maybe another D coordinator around the league has actually taught somebody how to play defense.

Carson ****ing Palmer?

are you kidding me?

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Dwyer deserves more blame than brown, he coughed it up in Steelers territory for a gimmie score. And unlike brown, didn't do much

steelersforever58
09-23-2012, 10:04 PM
When your offense puts 31 points on the board you should win. Certainly the turnovers hurt, but a good d finds a way to overcome them. The d is looking very ordinary. The pass rush has been non exsistent for a few years now. And other than Troy there are no playmakers on the d. And even he hasn't been doing it much as of late. I personally would like to see more of the scheme that was used against the patriots last year. Also, everytime I see Woodley and Harrison (when he is playing) drop into coverage it makes me crazy.

jiminpa
09-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Roger Goodell...those refs were not calling anything against oakland in the first half, and only called the ones they did in the second half to keep Vegas from sending a couple of messengers.

casteeler
09-23-2012, 10:10 PM
When your offense puts 31 points on the board you should win. Certainly the turnovers hurt, but a good d finds a way to overcome them. The d is looking very ordinary. The pass rush has been non exsistent for a few years now. And other than Troy there are no playmakers on the d. And even he hasn't been doing it much as of late. I personally would like to see more of the scheme that was used against the patriots last year. Also, everytime I see Woodley and Harrison (when he is playing) drop into coverage it makes me crazy.

Ordinary?

jiminpa
09-23-2012, 10:11 PM
When your offense puts 31 points on the board you should win. Certainly the turnovers hurt, but a good d finds a way to overcome them. The d is looking very ordinary. The pass rush has been non exsistent for a few years now. And other than Troy there are no playmakers on the d. And even he hasn't been doing it much as of late. I personally would like to see more of the scheme that was used against the patriots last year. Also, everytime I see Woodley and Harrison (when he is playing) drop into coverage it makes me crazy.I've been saying for all of Tomlin's tenure that we were squandering our opportunity by counting on defense to win games year in and year out, because you can't always have defense like that. I have zero confidence in Tomlin to really do what it takes to win. He is a Gruden protege.

steelersforever58
That second one was horrifying. It also had the stench of showboating on it. We didn't need an extra 2 yards THAT bad.

No disrespect darkstorm, but to mention showboating just doesn't make sense. Anytime a player is running in the open field the possibility of having the ball knocked out is there. Had he broken away and scored everyone would be singing his praises. I have no problem with Antonio Brown.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
Here is my list:
Jonathan Dwyer
Antonio Brown
The Entire Defense

jiminpa
09-23-2012, 10:14 PM
No disrespect darkstorm, but to mention showboating just doesn't make sense. Anytime a player is running in the open field the possibility of having the ball knocked out is there. Had he broken away and scored everyone would be singing his praises. I have no problem with Antonio Brown.I agree. He had to keep going. That's the risk, but it's still a pretty high percentage thing to try to make the extra yardage, and you may just need it later in the drive.

fer522
09-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Here is my list:
Jonathan Dwyer
Antonio Brown
The Entire Defense

I'LL GO WITH
The Entire Defense
J Dwyer
A Brown

harrison'samonster
09-23-2012, 10:22 PM
the second fumble by AB was pretty bad. it reminds me of mistakes Randle El use to make. Brown will learn from it.

Who do I blame? they lost as a team. The entire team lost the game. That defense should have been able to hold on to a ten point lead. But the offense needs to be able to control the ball in the last quarter.

resharded
09-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Defense. No way in hell should we lose to the Raiders after scoring 31 points.

NSMaster56
09-23-2012, 10:30 PM
I blame Bob Nutting, Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle and the Pirates.

tanda10506
09-23-2012, 10:43 PM
The offense scored 31 points and had the ball all game, nobody on offense is to blame. Brown may have fumbled, so did Dwyer, but those were 2 plays compared to the defense which screwed up all game. I'd blame this one on our defensive players, LeBeau because of the BS cushions, and Tomlin for not telling LeBeau to stop playing those cushions. I argued a lot on the side of LeBeau last year, but it's obvious he's done IMO. He either is having memory problems or he's in some heavy stage of denial about his zone defense.

ETL
09-23-2012, 11:02 PM
i was surprised to see this on the board.

I started it as a poll but then thought I deleted it and didn't put the choices

tomlin
lebeau
antonio brown / dwyer
the refs
George Bush
keisel

SteeleReign
09-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Antonio Brown had some bad fumbles, but there's no way that Raiders offense should have put up 30+ points on us in the first place. The defense is abysmal this year and it's not just the absence of Harrison and Polamalu.

Totally agree! Too many on this board assume that the return of Troy and Silverback will get our defense back on track. Unfortunately, not true.

Here are the defensive issues, IMHO...

1. Age: Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Kiesel are all on the downside of their careers. You could make the case that Kiesel and Hampton are actually hurting the defense. I'd even say that Troy's days of "free-styling" all over the field should be over. He doesn't have the speed anymore to show blitz and then get back in coverage.

2. Injuries: Troy and Hampton can't stay on the field. Woodley has had his issues with injuries as well.

3. Under-performing talent or just over-rated talent: Hood and Timmons. To a degree, I'd say that Ike Taylor belongs on this list. He has not been as good as last year. I feel that his performance last year against Denver may have affected his confidence.

4. Unproven youth: Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, McLendon, and Cam Heyward

5. Just go away: Ryan Mundy

6. Schemes: I love LeBeau and am not willing to lay the blame at his feet. I believe that, with the right combo of youth and talent, his defense can still work. However, given the current roster, some changes need to be made. Either dumb down the playbook to allow the young guys like McLendon and Heyward to make an impact or find SOME way to pressure the QB with the old guard.

So...the only players that are currently making a significant impact on defense are Foote and Ryan Clark. I'd actually call Clark our defensive MVP to this point.

SoCalFan
09-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I blame the absence of Troy & the Silverback!

bornaSteelersfan
09-24-2012, 05:47 AM
1) Penalties!!! The Beard on 4th and goal?! Come on! Keenan big PI to let them go down field?! O-Line constant penalties making it hard for us to continue (especially on last drive).

2) Fumble by AB! Stop show-boating and hold on to the damned ball! You should have learned after the lucky break for the TD.

3) Ryan Mundy can't cover or tackle! He is the reason McFadden got that TD, caught on his heels. He will be fined heavy for that hit on Heyward-Bey.

4) Carson Palmer! Give him credit for the constant adjustments. He took a page from Peyton Manning's book on beating LeBeau. He called a hell of a game.

5) Once again our 2 star defensive players are out. As Harrison and Polamalu go, so does the defense.

steeltheone
09-24-2012, 06:12 AM
Totally agree! Too many on this board assume that the return of Troy and Silverback will get our defense back on track. Unfortunately, not true.

Here are the defensive issues, IMHO...

1. Age: Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Kiesel are all on the downside of their careers. You could make the case that Kiesel and Hampton are actually hurting the defense. I'd even say that Troy's days of "free-styling" all over the field should be over. He doesn't have the speed anymore to show blitz and then get back in coverage.

2. Injuries: Troy and Hampton can't stay on the field. Woodley has had his issues with injuries as well.

3. Under-performing talent or just over-rated talent: Hood and Timmons. To a degree, I'd say that Ike Taylor belongs on this list. He has not been as good as last year. I feel that his performance last year against Denver may have affected his confidence.

4. Unproven youth: Keenan Lewis, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, McLendon, and Cam Heyward

5. Just go away: Ryan Mundy

6. Schemes: I love LeBeau and am not willing to lay the blame at his feet. I believe that, with the right combo of youth and talent, his defense can still work. However, given the current roster, some changes need to be made. Either dumb down the playbook to allow the young guys like McLendon and Heyward to make an impact or find SOME way to pressure the QB with the old guard.

So...the only players that are currently making a significant impact on defense are Foote and Ryan Clark. I'd actually call Clark our defensive MVP to this point.

Lets not forget, Ike is no spring chicken either....

MeanGee2047
09-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Ben had 384 yds and 4TD's....anybody that blames the offense is a complete idiot

LeBeau's dogshit pass defense has to go - I'd start cutting tomorrow

Oakland had 3 DB's off the waiver wire starting that weren't even on the team 2 weeks ago and they played better than our worthless bums - we can do just as well....cut every last one of these new Young Gun DB's and get on the damn phone and go get some cast-offs - pronto - maybe another D coordinator around the league has actually taught somebody how to play defense.

Carson ****ing Palmer?

are you kidding me?

Thank you! Our corners suck....the linebackers look to fat and slow and did I mention our corners suck? Why are they playing so far off the wr's? And how does Mundy keep making this team?

MeanGee2047
09-24-2012, 07:31 AM
I blame the defense, AB and the refs....that offside call on 4th and one was horrible....on ref looked like he was asking one of Oakland's lineman what happened. One lineman and 2 in the backfield were moving....that's what happened!!!! Idiots!!!

silver & black
09-24-2012, 07:49 AM
The Raiders.

:thumbsup: :drink:

Fire Haley
09-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Thank you! Our corners suck....the linebackers look to fat and slow and did I mention our corners suck? Why are they playing so far off the wr's? And how does Mundy keep making this team?

Mundy is horrible - but you know LeBeau won't dare let anyone without 5 years experience play in his completely stupid outdated defensive scheme.

3rd and 4 and your corners line up 10 yds off....brilliant!

If the Jets receivers didn't drop a dozen balls against us, we'd be 0-3.

Darkstorm05
09-24-2012, 08:18 AM
No disrespect darkstorm, but to mention showboating just doesn't make sense. Anytime a player is running in the open field the possibility of having the ball knocked out is there. Had he broken away and scored everyone would be singing his praises. I have no problem with Antonio Brown.

Open field? Are you talking about the same play? Brown had like 3 guys hanging off him trying to strip the ball and he kept trying to power on. He had just made a 20 yard reception into Raiders territory and we were up at that point. It was pointless to do what he did.

Steelerfreak58
09-24-2012, 09:52 AM
1. Penalties.
2. The Defense (if I can really call it that)
3. Turn overs.

plenewken
09-24-2012, 10:51 AM
the second fumble by AB was pretty bad. it reminds me of mistakes Randle El use to make. Brown will learn from it.

Who do I blame? they lost as a team. The entire team lost the game. That defense should have been able to hold on to a ten point lead. But the offense needs to be able to control the ball in the last quarter.

Good point but we've taken a couple of killer penalties which didn't help controlling the ball on O either.

plenewken
09-24-2012, 10:53 AM
Mundy is horrible - but you know LeBeau won't dare let anyone without 5 years experience play in his completely stupid outdated defensive scheme.

3rd and 4 and your corners line up 10 yds off....brilliant!

If the Jets receivers didn't drop a dozen balls against us, we'd be 0-3.

True. We didn't beat the Jets, the Jets lost. Big difference.

Rotorhead
09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
We need to upgrade Mundy, with the issues between Clark not being able to play in Denver and Troy being out, Mundy is killing us, he was out od position or wiffed on tackles for 3 of the Raiders scores, he is a liability. Our Def lacks any fire, i just dont understand the lack of any fire on our team, that is on the coaches and vets. Troy and Harrison will help, but Woodley is completely worthless by himself, he was constantly pushed around the pocket the entire game, is he unable to spin inside? At least Harrison will get pressure and maybe flush the qb to Woodley. Anyone, ANYONE is better than Mundy, we need to draft our next 2 safeties or draft one and FA one very soon. Watch every score, 3 of them you can see Mundy mess up. I agree the cushions suck, I agree we need to start playing the younger guys (they cant be worse) so we can hopefully get some fire out there.

stiller39
09-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Lets see.... da other team scores 30 + points and we score 30+ points.... hmmm.... I'd say we got some problems with stopping the other team...... just saying.

Hawaii 5-0
09-24-2012, 03:51 PM
by Mark Kaboly

You want somebody to blame for #Steelers loss? Blame this guy

You can blame a whole host of players who contributed to the Steelers loss to the Raiders, but you would be well within your rights to single out linebacker Lawrence Timmons as the main reason.

Timmons was signed to a six-year, $50 million extension last year with the thoughts of him being a play-making linebacker.

He’s been nothing of the sort yet. In fact, he’s been flat-out bad.

Timmons made two critical errors against the Raiders that just cannot happen.

The first was not filling the gap on Darren McFadden’s first-quarter touchdown run, and the more critical one was allowing Brandon Myers to convert a first down on a third-and-10 with 1:31 left in the game that led to the game-winning Sebastian Janikowski field goal.

Sure, it was great throw by Carson Palmer, but it is a play that Timmons is paid to make, and he didn’t.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/22ec52b0-dd0e-4c9d-ac56-bf1c6a26394d/?source=twitter

Blitzberg06
09-24-2012, 04:39 PM
You blame the entire team. From coaching to defense to offense hell even special teams who allowed the raiders to return it to the 50 yard line at one point.

Win as a team and lose as a team.
:tt03:

Fire Arians
09-24-2012, 04:41 PM
by Mark Kaboly

You want somebody to blame for #Steelers loss? Blame this guy

You can blame a whole host of players who contributed to the Steelers loss to the Raiders, but you would be well within your rights to single out linebacker Lawrence Timmons as the main reason.

Timmons was signed to a six-year, $50 million extension last year with the thoughts of him being a play-making linebacker.

He’s been nothing of the sort yet. In fact, he’s been flat-out bad.

Timmons made two critical errors against the Raiders that just cannot happen.

The first was not filling the gap on Darren McFadden’s first-quarter touchdown run, and the more critical one was allowing Brandon Myers to convert a first down on a third-and-10 with 1:31 left in the game that led to the game-winning Sebastian Janikowski field goal.

Sure, it was great throw by Carson Palmer, but it is a play that Timmons is paid to make, and he didn’t.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/22ec52b0-dd0e-4c9d-ac56-bf1c6a26394d/?source=twitter

can't say I've been pleased with timmons ever since he's gotten his big contract. huge disappointment so far, he's been the invisible man in our defense. ryan clark should not be the guy leading the team in tackles, ever

tony hipchest
09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
brett keisel says to blame him for the loss, so i will.... http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/brett-keisel-takes-blame-for-steelers-loss-to-raiders/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

i blame da beard especially for grwing a playoff beard before camp even begins (bad mojo).

Blitzberg06
09-24-2012, 04:56 PM
brett keisel says to blame him for the loss, so i will.... http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/brett-keisel-takes-blame-for-steelers-loss-to-raiders/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

i blame da beard especially for grwing a playoff beard before camp even begins (bad mojo).

Da Beard did make a bone head move deep in our own terrirotry but it happens.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 05:17 PM

Both occurred whilst fighting for extra yards, and the defense surely didn't help at all up until that point. Keep in mind Wallace fumbled as well, and was VERY lucky to get it back.

I blame defense. Simply put.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Furthermore: Third and ten. Defense FINALLY has the Raiders offense in trouble. Palmer back. Throws.

Twelve yard pass. Game over.

Defense goes back to it's style of play, and the Raiders burn us.

Moral of the story: It's week three, folks. Week three and the offense is already tenfold better than last year.

Black N' Yellow
09-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Neal Huntington.

FrancoLambert
09-24-2012, 05:28 PM
1. Defense
2. Defensive coaches

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 03:41 AM
Brett Keisel Takes Blame For Steelers Loss To Raiders

Monday, September 24th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel took the Sunday loss to the Oakland Raiders pretty hard, and after the game he wanted all of the blame placed on his shoulders.

"The offense played great," said the Steelers defensive captain. "Like i said before, you can blame this loss on me and we'll go back to the drawing board."

When asked why he was taking the blame for the loss specifically, the defensive end said, "Because I messed up some things that resulted in touchdowns. That's why."

The two big plays that come to mind are the 64-yard touchdown run by Raiders running back Darren McFadden, which I have broken down here. The other play that comes to mind was Keisel being flagged for encroachment on the 4th down and goal play for the Raiders, where Keisel saw multiple Raiders players in motion and stepped over the line of scrimmage to point it out.

You have to tip your cap to Keisel for taking the full brunt of the loss, but make no mistake that the rest of the Steelers defense shares quite a bit of the blame. This is what good team leaders do and Keisel, along with the rest of the defense, will get a chance to redeem themselves at home in week 5 when they host the Philadelphia Eagles.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/brett_keisel_takes_blame_for_steelers_loss_to_raid ers/11799160

Fire Haley
09-25-2012, 09:26 AM
I know one thing. I would trade our whole defense for Seattles today, lock stock and china doll barrel.

A DL that can all rush the passer, no need to blitz LB's, a tall physical secondary that dominates and they are all young.

Our defense would have given up 50 pts last night and Seattle gave up ONE.... yeah - make that call

Seattle's defense and our offense would be unstoppable.

I can dream - right?

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 09:33 AM
Seattle's, Arizona's or Texans.

Fire Haley
09-25-2012, 09:40 AM
to the original question...I blame the union

The NFL Referees Association who moonlight as supervisors of officiating at major college conferences made clear that anyone who accepts a short-term assignment as a replacement official with the NFL will lose his regular college gig. And so the NFLRA has contributed to the low quality of the officiating that we are now experiencing by pressuring the second-best officials into not working for the NFL, as they did during the 2001 lockout.

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Steelers: Woodley, Timmons Must Step Up

Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley were given big money deals with the intent that they would become big time playmakers at the linebacker position. In the absence of James Harrison and Troy Polamalu the Steelers have needed someone to step up and the hope was it would be Woodley and Timmons, but it hasn’t happened. When the Steelers gave these two linebackers their big money deals they were hoping for consistent repeat performances of their 2009 and 2010 seasons, but 2011 was a down year for both players and neither has been very impressive so far in 2012.

Against the Raiders LaMarr Woodley was up against a right tackle that had only been on Oakland’s roster for a few weeks, but he was held in check for most of the game recording 4 tackles and a sack. Although Woodley recorded the one sack he struggled to get much pressure on Carson Palmer all day. With James Harrison’s injury issues the past two seasons we have seen Woodley play a lot as the premier pass rushing threat and he has struggled. Palmer was not pressured much at all on Sunday and it is Woodley’s job to push that pocket. Another reason for Woodley’s slow start could be the play calling. He is being asked to do a lot of things on defense and is not rushing the quarterback as much as in recent years. It will be interesting to see how the defense, and Woodley, plays when Harrison and Troy Polamalu return.

Timmons also sturggled in 2011 when you look at his stat sheet. However, I will still give him a pass for his play in 2011 as he was moving around to multiple positions which is hard on any player. Timmons in 2012, however, is expected to remain at inside linebacker for the entire season. The Steelers need him to step up in that position and make plays.

On Sunday the Raiders scored on five straight possessions against the Steelers defense. That is completely unacceptable and everyone on that defensive unit knows it. Woodley and Timmons need to step up now and be the guys who make plays on those series by creating a turnover or making a big play on third down to get the defense off the field; especially in the absence of two former Defensive Players of the Year in Harrison and Polamalu.

The biggest difference for Timmons and Woodley in comparison to their two best seasons in 2009 and 2010 is the turnovers, In 2009 and 2010 they created 14 turnover opportunities for the defense with interceptions and forced fumbles. Including 2008 they had averaged about 6.5 turnover opportunities a season, however, in 2011 they created only 3. So far in 2012, through the first three games, they have created none.

Polamalu and Harrison should be back soon and should help the defense get better, but there are some concerns for the future. I’m not the only person who expects Casey Hampton and James Harrison to leave after this season and Polamalu and Ryan Clark likely have around 2-3 years left a piece which leaves a big question: Are Timmons and Woodley ready to take over as the leaders and play-makers of the defense when they are gone? And if not who will?

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_woodley_timmons_must_step_up/11798266