PDA

View Full Version : Through 3 games....What grade for Haley?

zsheik22
09-23-2012, 11:42 PM
And do you think his play calling is better than BA's?

PS: I know it's still early, doesnt mean we cant have an opinion.

Blackout
09-23-2012, 11:56 PM
B+

Already big improvements over Arians' offense, there is room for improvement on some of the predictable play calling.

If this offense tanks for the rest of the year, it won't be Haley's fault.

TRH
09-23-2012, 11:59 PM
so far its looking great. I give him at least a B+....its the defense thats absolutely killing this team.

The one problem Haley has right now is the running back personnel and the offensive line who don't seem to know how to open holes for runners (do we have to bring Kemo back???).
Mendenhall, who is not an elite back, but is at least a decent one, has been injured...and Redman has been playing hurt. So we're using Dwyer as a main back, but problem is, he's not a "main back".
Its hard to blame these 2 things on Haley, though - its not his fault. If we had healthy backs and a healthy OL with DeCastro in there, our running game might be doing something. Instead, its doing nothing.

Fire Arians
09-23-2012, 11:59 PM
B, the offense has looked good and I like how he attacks and seems like he has a game plan.

He would get an A if our offense didn't have a problem with getting the plays in time, we've been wasting too many timeouts and taking too many delay penalties, this needs to stop, and quick.

GoFor7
09-24-2012, 12:01 AM
B. Was too conservative in the first half of the Denver game, but improved over the next two games. One must ask why the plays haven't come in faster at times.

OX1947
09-24-2012, 12:02 AM
It's just sad that the defense has cost the team 2 games.

jjpro11
09-24-2012, 12:05 AM
A. Ben looks as confident and rock solid as ever. The running game absolutely sucks, but the blocking has been absolutely atrocious. Our new Alan Faneca (we all hope) is on the shelf. While I don't believe Mendenhall would do much of anything behind this line, he's still an improvement over Redman and Dwyer.

We had nice, long, time consuming drives in Denver to keep Manning off the field. The red zone offense was weak, but for a first game in a new offense, I thought it was very good.

Last week was solid overall.

Today we put up big yards on offense, but still lost; because like Denver, the defense completely shit the bed in the second half. Turnovers obviously played a big role as well. Giving up nearly 100% third down conversions in the second half was why we lost.

TRH
09-24-2012, 12:07 AM
It's just sad that the defense has cost the team 2 games.

How true. We should be 3-0 right now, really.

Thanks defense.

SoCalFan
09-24-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm happy so far, like what he's doing with Heath. Hope we get healthy all around and start winning post bye!

Neil-Still-Rules-14
09-24-2012, 01:42 AM
A-

26 PPG (it was 20 last year...so an extra TD a game so far)
350 YPG
285 Passing YPG

One glaring weakness is the running game obviously, but you have to think that'll improve with the returns of Rashard Mendenhall and David DeCastro.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 02:10 AM
A ****ing plus.

tanda10506
09-24-2012, 04:05 AM
B+. I think if things continue the way they are he'll have an A+ by the end of the year and LeBeau will have an F. The poor run game is on the O line mainly. Haley is mixing up the run directions and formations, plus he often uses a FB, we should be able to run, there's just no run blocking.

lardlad
09-24-2012, 06:28 AM
C+ / B-
Scheme wise, it's looking good. As far as actually coaching, it is as you would expect with a new offensive coordinator. It's taking them long to get the play in, they are burning timeouts when they don't need to, too many penalties, zero running game

I still don't think we are where we could be but we are heading in the right direction.

bornaSteelersfan
09-24-2012, 06:33 AM
I give him a B so far. I agree the plays take too long to come in. The running game isn't working because our O-Line is once again decimated and we don't have our best RB playing. Haley would look mediocre at best if not for Ben.

steeltheone
09-24-2012, 06:43 AM
With a record of 1-2 nothing above a C is warranted. Results are what counts.

steeltheone
09-24-2012, 06:45 AM
I give him a B so far. I agree the plays take too long to come in. The running game isn't working because our O-Line is once again decimated and we don't have our best RB playing. Haley would look mediocre at best if not for Ben.

Our Oline is no worse than the line Arians had....

WVABE
09-24-2012, 06:46 AM
B+ if the O-line stinks so will the running game. Bout the only thing this team has is a solid passing game, but AB needs to do alot of growing up. His showboating shouldn't be tolerated by the coachs.

steelfury02
09-24-2012, 07:04 AM
as in the "take note from Heath" thread, the showboating is ok in the right situation IMHO - even though the Raiders just made some great plays on the ball, I hope the first down signal from Brown stops at least until after a win with a solid performance from him

bornaSteelersfan
09-24-2012, 07:16 AM
Our Oline is no worse than the line Arians had....
True, but Haley is still trying to run the ball (unlike Arians). This helps set up the play-action passing. We have also done pretty well while in the red zone.

bornaSteelersfan
09-24-2012, 07:18 AM
With a record of 1-2 nothing above a C is warranted. Results are what counts.

Results ARE what counts. We are averaging one TD per game more than last season. Those are results. You can't blame Haley for the poor play of the defense and Special Teams.

steeltheone
09-24-2012, 07:27 AM
True, but Haley is still trying to run the ball (unlike Arians). This helps set up the play-action passing. We have also done pretty well while in the red zone. I'll have to look at the rushing stats from last year to this year, id be surprised to see much difference.....

SteelerinSevern
09-24-2012, 07:30 AM
I'd give it a B+
Big Ben is a Better Version
Wide Recievers are getting more clutch catches (besides the fumbles yesterday)
We're using Heath the way he should be used!
Our running game is awful but I believe that is more of a personel issue then attempting to run.
OUR DEFENSE is the concern.

plenewken
09-24-2012, 07:39 AM
I give him a B and I believe the O will continue to improve.
The D is atrocious and that's the #1 concern.

ricardisimo
09-24-2012, 07:48 AM
B, based on many of the same arguments as above. It's an improvement, and he does actually seem to have situation-specific gameplans, which is a difference of night-and-day from last year.

Darkstorm05
09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
I give a B+. We're obviously changing our plans during games now to go with what's working. No more "Try the failed play 5 times in a row to see if it works". We're obviously still getting our stride, but I think we're going the right way.

steelerchad
09-24-2012, 08:39 AM
I'd say an A so far. I expected a little delay in this coming together, so my expectations were for some growing pains. Plus the #1 receiver was holding out. If this gets better, we may actually be able to win a shootout with the Pats, Packers type offenses.
This D will get better. We laid an egg yesterday, but the D was solid against the Jets. If, we get Harrison and Polamalu back healthy we will be fine.
How many teams could lose their 2 best defensive players and be fine?

The Ravens have given up 68 points so far to our 75. They don't have Suggs, but now take Ed Reed off the field and see if that's worth another TD.

I think we'll be fine. Bye week is coming at a good time this year. I usually hate early byes, but we need it. Harrison, Troy, and Mendy could all be back and all of those spots are weaknesses right now.

It would have been nice to escape with the W yesterday and be 2-1 right now though.

Steelerfreak58
09-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Got to give the offense a B so far. With the O-Line injured and losing Decastro its still putting up points. Our defense on the other hand is a completely different story.

lloydwoodson
09-24-2012, 10:07 AM
A+ I enjoy watching Steelers drives so much more now.

steelfury02
09-24-2012, 10:59 AM
I give the O a solid B. 25.6 pts per game so far and possibly going to get better. I have a lot more confidence in the O than this time last season.

The defense has played about 5 good to great quarters out of 12 IMHO. The first half in Denver, the second half v. Jets, and the third quarter v. Raiders. That is a 42%. However, I'll be nice and throw in circumstance and give them an overall passing "D-" grade.

This looks like a team where the offense is going to have to continue to improve until the D figures something out. This is a 1-2 C average team. If we go 1-3 v. Eagles, I predict some moderate to major changes on this team both in terms of who is out there starting and Tomlin going to Lebeau to force some schematic moves. If we have the same performance against what I consider a more dynamic Eagles team - we'll be staring desperation in the face.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2012, 11:07 AM
A+ I enjoy watching Steelers drives so much more now.

I enjoy watching them too, but I guess I missed the long time consuming drives yesterday that take care of the football and keep the opposing offense off the field.

I still can't believe that we just made Carson Palmer look like a hall of fame QB . :doh:

desertsteel
09-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Can't be better than a B- with the running game being the worst in the league (haven't checked stats but could anyone be worse?).

steelfury02
09-24-2012, 11:14 AM
I hear you on the running game - although I'll hold off complete judgement until we see our full stable with Mendy and even then, I'd like to see what happens when Decastro is ready

TRH
09-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Can't be better than a B- with the running game being the worst in the league (haven't checked stats but could anyone be worse?).

But you can't really throw that on Haley. Our 1 back is injured and our 2 back has been playing injured. We're trying to get by on a #3 back and thats not going to work out very well.
DeCastro's went down with a HUGE injury, Adams hasn't been healthy, and our OL isn't getting the job done executing opening up holes. Its as if they're closing holes.

The grade was for Haley himself. If our RB game wasn't decimated with injury and our defense played even NFL caliber instead of high school caliber, we'd be sitting much better now. Should be 3-0.

MACH1
09-24-2012, 12:05 PM

Going in to the game they were ranked 30th.

Today might be a different story.

Millers the sh!t
09-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I'll give it a B- from what I've seen so far. Obviously the running game is pathetic to Say the least. I'd like to see some screen plays every once and a while. Maybe when Mendy comes back those will be incorporated into the plan. Ben seems more efficient and the offense is controlling the clock like a mother... I hope we cAn keep scoring in the high twenties cause this defense clearly aint doing their job. We've only played against B teams so far, we don't stand a chance against any A caliber teams.

MasterOfPuppets
09-24-2012, 03:13 PM
the biggest difference i've seen so far is ben not forcing the ball down field . he's getting the ball out quicker with high percentage short passes.

i'll give it a B for now because passing is only part of the offense.needs to be less the 3rd and 6+
ben has still been sacked 9 times.

FrancoLambert
09-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Game planning: B (seems to exploit defensive weaknesses, something BA didn't)
Utilization of Personnel: B+ (spreads the ball around)
Running Game: D (this falls more on the O-line as usual)
Passing Game: B (Ben getting rid of ball quicker and not getting hit as much)
Overall, I'd give him a solid B.

tanda10506
09-24-2012, 06:57 PM
IMO Haley has done everything he can do to improve the run game, the O line just isn't run blocking. Arians always ran with only the RB in the back field. He never used a FB unless except for D. Johnson on a few rare plays. And there was no method or scheme, we just passed on some plays and ran on some plays. Haley is trying to set up the run with the pass and it was successful against the Jets. He also uses a FB on a large amount of the running plays and he mixes up which side he runs to. No Mendy, a hurt Redman, and poor O line run blocking is what's holding up the run game IMO.

LVSteelersfan
09-24-2012, 10:50 PM
B- for me. It would be higher but we still can't run a damn screen play to a RB worth a crap. How come every other team in the league seems to run screens to perfection but ours is always a mess. Rainey should be having a field day out there on screens. The running game cannot possibly get worse so perhaps Haley can help make that better before the season ends. I am not so sure Mendenhall makes it any better because he has pretty much sucked the past couple years. If he quits the damn dancing and finds the hole (if there is one) then maybe we can do better.

zsheik22
09-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Yeah... I think Haley has been very good. As soon as he started breaking the monotony of the run, run, pass calling... he's been way better than BA.

I would give him a B+ right now. I dont see how Ben is still moaning after his stats from last game.

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 09:23 AM
the calls coming in late and the plays coming off in time, having to burn a time out is 50 % on Haley, 50% on Ben.

That delay of game was squarely on Ben. They even said he wasn't aware of the play clock - I think that will be rectified

Already Ben was getting the ball off at the 12, 9, 4, and obviously 1 second mark - I think they are trying to improve on when he is actually going to snap it - least of my worries

I still won't be thrilled even if the defense comes out and lays a whooping on Vick - they'll still only be a 2-2 team that has only proved it can win at home. They need a big road win and badly.

About the "A" teams - let's just start getting more Ws with whoever is on our schedule, then we'll figure out even more about this team in Wk 9 @ NY Giants.

Steel Peon
09-25-2012, 12:29 PM
I guess I'd have to go with a solid B so far, regardless of the 1-2 record. The offense seems to be moving along fine in all but the opener, and the play calling seems to be intelligent enough. Overall, I'd say that Ben and Todd are working together very well and are constantly improving. So, even though it's far from perfect, out offense shows great promise, and is surprisingly our most potent asset at the moment.

steeltheone
09-25-2012, 01:49 PM
Easy crowd...A's and B's across the board...We would be 1-2 with Arians if not better. I'm not saying i don't see some good things with Haley and it might get lot's better, but for now, it's not lots better.

A franchise QB and the best wideouts ever ( sarcastic ) 1-2 don't cut it.

jjpro11
09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Easy crowd...A's and B's across the board...We would be 1-2 with Arians if not better. I'm not saying i don't see some good things with Haley and it might get lot's better, but for now, it's not lots better.

A franchise QB and the best wideouts ever ( sarcastic ) 1-2 don't cut it.

If the defense and its coaches realized there were two halves in football, we'd be 3-0.