PDA

View Full Version : Ben goes no-huddle- Ditches Haleys playbook

tony hipchest
09-24-2012, 02:14 PM
http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/22ec52b0-dd0e-4c9d-ac56-bf1c6a26394d/?source=twitter

Ken Laird

about 16 hours ago

Ben Roethlisberger says he called plays against Oakland that weren’t in the playbook:

After the 34-31 loss to the Oakland Raiders, Ben Roethlisberger commented on how he felt the offense played, saying "I felt like offensively we kind of did the things we wanted to do; no huddle the whole second half. It felt like we moved the ball down the field; there were plays out there that I called that weren’t in our playbook. I know it sounds crazy; things that we’ve had from years past that guys were on the same page and it worked. I take my hat off to the line, receivers, tight ends, because they made plays."

i dont care that he DID this, whatever works, right? but it sure does seem to be undermining the authority of his coach especially when he announces it to the world. certain things should stay in the locker room.

the fans and media have no idea what playes were kept or culled from the playbood simply by watching the games and frankly its nobodys business but the players and coaches..

does ben just not think before he speaks or is he purposefully trying to get a rise out of his bosses?

good to see he has replaced arians as the biggest mouth in the south [side].

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Like you said: Whatever works.

The offense of the first half was just as effective, so I doubt Ben was saying anything as a shot at Haley. Notice Laird made the headline "Ditches Haley's Playbook".

Problem with Ben is that he's overly honest with the media, and if there's a sliver of controversy, especially after a loss, up for grabs. They'll take it, and they'll take it the papers.

Darkstorm05
09-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Maybe he loves blowing up Steelers forums. I really wish he'd learn to say "No Comment".

SteeleReign
09-24-2012, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't assume that Ben was rebelling against Haley. Maybe Haley has given Ben the freedom to call "what he wants" in certain instances? I know it doesn't sound like the Haley we've heard about, but maybe it's a sign of two professionals trying to work together.

Millers the sh!t
09-24-2012, 02:28 PM
I said hed be doing this before week one ever started. I don't care he did it, but I wouldn't go bragging about it. Bens crazy man.... He's trying to start the drama the media wants.

stb_steeler
09-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Who the hell does he think he is?....Peyton Manning?:rofl:
Seriously tho, i thought the offense did great!!!

Steelers>NFL
09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Yes the offense did do great job. Except for costly fumbles.
But man, there are some things you say and share. And there are some that you don't.
Big Ben is full of big dramas.

Hawaii 5-0
09-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Roethlisberger Claims He Called Plays Not In The Playbook

Monday, September 24th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Despite the 34-31 loss to the Oakland Raiders on Sunday, Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had a solid performance, and evidently that performance included him calling some plays that weren't even in the Todd Haley Rosetta Stone playbook.

Ken Laird of Trib Live Radio reported via Twitter after the game that Roethlisberger, who was 36-of-49 passing in the game for 384 yards and 4 touchdowns, said that he called plays from years past.

"I felt like offensively we kind of did the things we wanted to do; no huddle the whole second half," said Roethlisberger via Laird. "It felt like we moved the ball down the field; there were plays out there that I called that weren’t in our playbook. I know it sounds crazy; things that we’ve had from years past that guys were on the same page and it worked. I take my hat off to the line, receivers, tight ends, because they made plays."

Well, this certainly might cause a stir, but you have to admit that the way the running game has performed over the first three games, combined with how well Roethlisberger has done running the no-huddle, that it is not too surprising that things have gone off script in the new offense.

Roethlisberger is a unique quarterback and his playing style can't be mimicked. He just makes plays, even if it looks like it is school yard in nature. He is going to take sacks as a result, but he his also going to make plays more often than not. Just look at his career numbers on third downs.

This should make for an interesting bye week for sure, and if Haley, or Art Rooney II for that matter, both think they are going to be able to change the way Roethlisberger plays, they both have another thing coming. The Steelers quarterback wants to throw the ball and he is not going to be happy, or effective, unless he does it the way he has throughout his career.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/roethlisberger-claims-he-called-plays-not-in-the-playbook/

Kanata-Steeler
09-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Who the hell does he think he is?....Peyton Manning?:rofl:
Seriously tho, i thought the offense did great!!!

I agree,
how dare that washed-up-old James Harrison tell Ben(after we lost the SB to GB): "...Get over it already, You're NOT Peyton man, you're just $PAID$ like him !..."
Fortunately, it's now up to Haley and Ben to make a "peyton" outta him. -so LISTEN, Ben, your "daddy" Ariens is long gone chump, so ya, James is right.!
So Here We Go Steelers', here we go !!!
Onward and Upward "O",NOW pleeez, before our "D" gets too old to remember. !
;)

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Oh lord, here we go. The media got a hold of it and now we have to listen to it for two weeks. I swear i'm going to tape Ben's mouth shut. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
09-24-2012, 02:43 PM
I wouldn't assume that Ben was rebelling against Haley. Maybe Haley has given Ben the freedom to call "what he wants" in certain instances? I know it doesn't sound like the Haley we've heard about, but maybe it's a sign of two professionals trying to work together.

that was my second thought.

i know ben announced before week 1 that he would have the freedom to go "no-huddle" and call his own plays, but what is haley thinking sitting there on the sideline when ben is drawing up plays in the dirt that he is unfamiliar with, were scrapped from the playbook, and havent even been practiced since he became coach?

oh, and this is my thread title, not ken lairds :thumbsup:

stb_steeler
09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh lord, here we go. The media got a hold of it and now we have to listen to it for two weeks. I swear i'm going to tape Ben's mouth shut. :chuckle:

Was thinkin the same thing, but it is entertaining dontcha think :wink02:

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Ed. B. from the P-G went with this as well and states he has never heard a QB ever say something like this before

Ben Roethlisberger told those reporters gathered around him that he dug into the old playbook – had to be Arians’ playbook – during the game to call some plays. He said they worked. Maybe quarterbacks have done that in the past; I don’t remember ever hearing them say so.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/118209-ed-good-thing-steelers-concentrated-on-the-run

This is in keeping with Ben deciding to share in yesterday's Ron Cook column that he "just walked away - I will leave it at that" with regard to some undescribed issue Ben and Haley had during the Denver game. Ben is incapable of "no comment."

The best spin on this latest statemnt is that Ben just cannot help himself about being candid. Saying you are calling plays from the playbook you and your close buddy Arians prepared that are not in the current playbook can be the subject of a legitimatre and much more negative interpretation.

I can imagine what Noll or Cowher woudl do if the QB would have said he was calling plays out of an old playbook

It is going to be a long 2 weeks

MasterOfPuppets
09-24-2012, 03:04 PM
oh, and this is my thread title, not ken lairds :thumbsup:
you and ben are such rogues ... :sofunny:

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 03:07 PM
This is YOUR thread title, Tone?

http://us10.memecdn.com/human-stahp-pls_c_620956.jpg

tony hipchest
09-24-2012, 03:07 PM
you and ben are such rogues ... :sofunny:

:sly: hehehe... :stirthepot:

Fire Arians
09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
he's on pace for a career season, i doubt he is upset with the offense. media once again making something out of nothing

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 03:12 PM
he's on pace for a career season, i doubt he is upset with the offense. media once again making something out of nothing

No. Tony is, with his dammed thread titles. :sofunny:

zsheik22
09-24-2012, 03:14 PM
I dont know... sounds to me like it was a shot at Haley.

Kanata-Steeler
09-24-2012, 03:14 PM
ok, it's not the 80's again yet.
We're much better than that. hey TOMLIN 'Y hear dat' ! :)
our windows aren't closed, we'll get there yet again, 7 is heaven.
have a lttilte "faith"Stihillers fans'.
I honestly think our new "O" will come into being, and really do this sucker\, this year in fact, or maybe just next year.
We're still good, 'cause we're still the best at it.

tony hipchest
09-24-2012, 03:22 PM
No. Tony is, with his dammed thread titles. :sofunny:

sure... shoot the messenger. :chuckle:

EbonySteel86
09-24-2012, 03:33 PM
Geeeez usss Ben! Smh!!!!

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 03:36 PM
sure... shoot the messenger. :chuckle:

Is that a dare? I kick ass at dare! :toofunny:

MACH1
09-24-2012, 03:40 PM
I knew it was somehow airians fault. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
09-24-2012, 03:45 PM
hell, for one play yesterday ben even went 5 wide.

WE ONLY HAVE 4 RECEIVERS ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER! :doh:

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
hell, for one play yesterday ben even went 5 wide.

WE ONLY HAVE 4 RECEIVERS ON THE ACTIVE ROSTER! :doh:

:rofl:

I was soooooooooo confused.

TheVet
09-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Must have been Whisenhunt's playbook. Airheadians didn't have a playbook.

fer522
09-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Is that a dare? I kick ass at dare! :toofunny:

i dare you to kick Ben's ass :doh:

tanda10506
09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
I dont know... sounds to me like it was a shot at Haley.

Agreed. Ben liked Arians playbook, which leads me to believe that Haley is a much better play caller then Ben. That said, Ben has won 2 SB's and a lot of playoff games, and he's made TONS of plays, so if he calls some of the plays every now and then, then no big deal IMO. If it works and continues to then great, if not, then stop. But to purposely point out that the plays weren't even in the playbook (Haley's book) was flat out disrespectful. I can't see how that could be took out of context, even if he was joking in some way, it still sounds like "His plays weren't working so I did what I damn well wanted to do".

Whether it be a joke or a cheap shot, I'm sure Haley doesn't appreciate it. I don't know if the "heat" between Ben and Haley that the media so badly wanted to generate this offseason/preseason was an actual thing or not, but if Ben keeps saying stupid things about the offense then it may become an issue. Bottom line is that I really don't care much what Ben or any Steeler says in the media as long as it doesn't affect how they or the team plays. I'm all for players speaking their mind (like Harrison's tweet after the SB this year), but I can see the offense slowing down if these two start doing things to each other out of spite. Someone needs to tell Ben that everybody already knows that he thinks running the ball is only good for the fans and that he has plays of his own, and that nobody wants to hear him complain.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 05:34 PM
http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu330/cthulhu19887/movie%20and%20tv/tin%20foil%20hat/Its-A-Conspiracy.jpg

OX1947
09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
All the great QBs called their own plays. Is this just more (bleep) sucking media (bleeps) trying to cook up drama because they are talentless hacks?

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Post-Oakland thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2012
posted by Dale Lolley

@ Ben Roethlisberger played an outstanding game, leading the team to 31 points while continuing his hot play on third downs, where the Steelers converted 8 of 14 for the game.

But he once again had a chance to lead a fourth quarter, game-winning drive and failed.

In the past two seasons, Roethlisberger has led exactly one game-winner, and that came against lowly Indianapolis last season.

In his first seven seasons, Roethlisberger led 26 such drives, many of which came when he was, you know, just a game manager.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Atlanta Dan
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
According to Ed. B. of the P-G Ben has issued the following "clarification" of his comments about caling plays out of the old playbook:coffee:

After practice today, Ben said he had to issue a clarification because too much was being made of that. He said it wasn't so much calling plays but using hand signals on two plays. He said it was no big deal and he should have been clearer about it on Sunday while talking about it.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/chats/ed-bouchettes-chat

Curtain_of_Steel
09-25-2012, 01:57 PM
I do not think the word "ditching" the plybook is accurate. He used some plays where he seen those were working. Obviously the players knew this a head of time as they play calling is entirely differentthan Haleys.

Doing a no huddle gives Ben the option to do what he wants. But of course keeping his mouth shut would be good as well.

Bottom line is the O did well sans fumbles. But the end doesn;t alwaysjustify the means. They still lost while he ran some of those plays. You win, maybe you say it, you lose, sit there and say nothing.

grward
09-25-2012, 06:33 PM
This is exactly why you can't read what the media prints. Ben never said he went against Haley. Maybe Haley said, Hey Ben ... go no huddle see what you can do. If that's the case, then there is nothing wrong with what Ben said. This crap is just a negative twist on what Ben said as a way to sell articles. In my opinion, anyhow.