PDA

View Full Version : Get used to it folks...

Steelerfreak58
09-24-2012, 06:01 PM
after watching this last weekend of football and after our loss against Oakland. I think it is really necessary to once again bring up the fact that this is the new era of football that Roger Goodell has created and wanted.

Yes there was absolutely positively bad calls, by the refs but you know what there will be more to come even with regular refs. The flags are being thrown if a "hit" sounds hard.

Throwing a ball short and having a receiver stop while the DB makes contact is getting a flag on a consistent basis now even if there wasn't a chance for a reception. Offensive pass interference is never called. Saw a "pushing off" call once this weekend compared to 22 pass interference calls that I caught.

Offensive (get the pun) football is here to stay hard hitting punishing defense has gone the way of the dodo. Low scoring defense driven games are a thing of the past.

Every major rule change the last 5 years has been toward generating more offense. We are just witnessing the the beginning of it. 5 years from now scores will be in the 50s or low 60s. Ten years from now they will be in the 70s and 80s.

Hide behind the veil of "player safety" all you like but its about generating scoring and crowd interest.

Lord of Lombardi
09-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Good post and I totally agree. I'm getting sick n tired of seeing a bad ass football hit and the yellow hanky comes flying. We saw this coming a few years ago alright. Godell is bad for football and spearheads this BS league. I am ever so proud that the Steelers organization was the only team to vote "NO' against Godell having full control of fines, etc. as comissioner. Enjoy what you wished for NFL
No Longer
F in
Like it

TRH
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
i agree with you. It's becoming despicable....all refs, even the real ones, were officiating this way the last 2 years (at least).

-if its a big, hard, violent hit (and we're talking the legal ones now), more often than not, a flag is thrown because the hit was "hard and loud".

-the pass interference calls are getting so ridiculous, that now blatant "phantom" calls are being made multiple times every week

-how about this scenario? A pass is thrown downfield.....receiver and defender are both close....on a good defensive play, the defender knocks it away.....no flag....then the receiver starts jumping up and down like he has fire ants in his pants, pointing and gyrating, then guess what??....You got it....a flag is mysteriously thrown immediately. The real refs do it all the time.
They can't just make the calls on their own????? Sickens me every time.

The games are starting to be dragged down by penalty after penalty after penalty. For christs sakes...let them play the game.
I've analyzed this myself and to me......it seems as if the refs "referee" scared.....like they're in fear for their own job (not unlike many employees at any-company America). So they're not refereeing the game per say - they're refereeing to the league office.

LVSteelersfan
09-24-2012, 09:34 PM
The truth you do speak. But once again Ben gets blindsided by a low hit and nothing called. I guess Ben is not a QB or something. No excuse for letting him get hit like that and not throwing the flag. We can keep up with the scoring if the refs will call the PI calls both ways. Doesn't seem to work that way.

TRH
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
The truth you do speak. But once again Ben gets blindsided by a low hit and nothing called. I guess Ben is not a QB or something. No excuse for letting him get hit like that and not throwing the flag. We can keep up with the scoring if the refs will call the PI calls both ways. Doesn't seem to work that way.

Thats another thing i forgot. Don't even think about hitting Peyton Manning low, or Tom Brady, or Aaron Rogers, or Drew Brees. Because a flag will immediately be thrown.
It sad enough as it is.....but man...its SO blatantly obvious, you have to be on another planet to not know thats the way it is.
VERY few penalties are called on cheap shots or illegal hits to Ben.

maddog78
09-24-2012, 09:48 PM
We are just witnessing the the beginning of it. 5 years from now scores will be in the 50s or low 60s. Ten years from now they will be in the 70s and 80s..

:rofl:

teegre
09-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Thats another thing i forgot. Don't even think about hitting Peyton Manning low, or Tom Brady, or Aaron Rogers, or Drew Brees. Because a flag will immediately be thrown.
It sad enough as it is.....but man...its SO blatantly obvious, you have to be on another planet to not know thats the way it is.
VERY few penalties are called on cheap shots or illegal hits to Ben.

I know that on one specific play, a Raidah launched at BB's knees... the ref watched it... and when BB got up, the ref moved on.  

WTF!?!  

Just because BB can take it, or is tough, or is big should NOT matter.  ANY defender who goes low should be flagged.  It drives me nuts how BB is seen as "too big to be hurt."  

jjpro11
09-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Goodell thinks the NFL is invincible. He thinks he can put his dirty hands all over it, and the fans will always be back.

He's too naive to realize baseball was once THE sport in America. Basketball was mega huge in the 90s, but came crashing down post-Jordan era when Stern lost his brain and the league turned into ghetto trash. Hockey was very popular in the 90s... The new decade came along, and all of a sudden they couldn't pay fans to watch games.

He's got his head so far up his ass with this expansion to Europe bullshit, he's completely ignoring how Americans feel about the way the game is changing. Once this league turns into a glorified arena/flag football league, the ratings will come crashing down and peoples' interest will shift elsewhere.

4xSBChamps
09-25-2012, 01:48 AM
Every major rule change the last 5 years has been toward generating more offense.

wait & see how-much smoke the League blows up Brees' skirt if she breaks Unitas' 47-game TD record

We are just witnessing the the beginning of it. 5 years from now scores will be in the 50s or low 60s. Ten years from now they will be in the 70s and 80s.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/NBAscoreboard.jpg

granted, I live outside Tampa, and get the Yuccaneers' games, but I have watched (maybe) 2 quarters of football this season to-date:
I'll spend my Sunday's through November watching NASCAR (or baseball), then hope hockey resumes

Rogita hasta go

Edman
09-25-2012, 05:44 AM
No League stays on Top Forever. The NFL will be no exception.

Arena League has tons of scoring, but it never because mega-popular. Because 60-50 games get tiring to watch after a whole.

ricardisimo
09-25-2012, 06:05 AM
Executives run the NFL, and just like in every other industry executives are morons who haven't the slightest clue what they're doing. They'll ruin football just like they ruined the steel and automobile industries, just like they ruin everything.

TRH
09-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Executives run the NFL, and just like in every other industry executives are morons who haven't the slightest clue what they're doing. They'll ruin football just like they ruined the steel and automobile industries, just like they ruin everything.

couldn't have said it better myself. Bingo.

And as with regular business industries, the more people that get hired along the way and/or become involved, the more "their rules and ideas have to be implemented too", and it completely screws the end product and business idea. I see this with companies ALL the time.