PDA

View Full Version : does ichiro suzuki speak english yet?

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 06:36 PM
just wondering.

lets get some baseball talk going! oh wait! its almost football season!!!!!

:dancing:

Hawk Believer
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Not in public. He does know some English I believe. It is a sources of frustration for some people out here. Kenji Jojima just started catching for the Mariners this season and has made a strong effort to learn English and he does talk to the press even though he has still not fluent. People really appreciate that he is trying and perhaps feel more conected to him even though he is not the star that Ichiro is. However, his position requires that he be able to speak the native language since he is the field general.

So should Ichiro speak English? I guess he doesn't have to. I think he hurts himself more than anyone else because he could make a lot more US promotional money if he did speak English.

But when it comes down to it, I don't care too much. Ichiro is a fun player to watch on O and D and gives you a good reason to go to Safeco Field even when the team has been lack luster (see the last 3 seasons).

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 07:03 PM
after 4-5 years of kobayashi winning the hot dog eating champion im thinking he should give some interviews without a translator atleast once a year.

im suprised ichiro hasnt made any (or much) progress in the area. they ran a segment on it on sportscenter 2-3 years back (hinting that he knows a little more than he lets on).

thanks for the reply. football isnt far off :danceshout:

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Why would he bother learning English? The only words he needs to know is paycheck and big contract. God Bless America.

Jeremy
08-02-2006, 09:14 PM
I remember reading an article a few years ago in which the writer stated that Ichiro does know English. I don't think money is as important to him as it is to some other athletes. It might sound strange to some people, but Ichiro is a throwback player. He can hit homeruns, but he prefers hitting in to the gaps. He could learn English and make Tiger Woods money, but he prefers to be a "gym rat" and just play baseball. I have the upmost respect for Ichiro.

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Why would he bother learning English? The only words he needs to know is paycheck and big contract. God Bless America.

"bisebol ha bean berry berry gude to mi"

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:21 PM
No different than any other athlete that comes to this country and wants to make money. Screw our culture, just give me the money. Typical.

Jeremy
08-02-2006, 09:25 PM
No different than any other athlete that comes to this country and wants to make money. Screw our culture, just give me the money. Typical.

He didn't come here to become a citizen. He came here to play baseball. How many American born players learn Japanesse when they're playing baseball in Japan?

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:26 PM
He didn't come here to become a citizen. He came here to play baseball. How many American born players learn Japanesse when they're playing baseball in Japan?

Umm, I never said they were any better. This has already been discussed in another thread. If I'm living in another country, I will learn the language out of respect.

LEARN ENGLISH.

Here you go buddy.....http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=7777&highlight=Steak+Philadelphia

Jeremy
08-02-2006, 09:29 PM
The owner of the Mariners is Japanese.

But you haven't said why someone here to play baseball needs to learn English. He's not trying to become a citizen, he's just here to play baseball.

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:34 PM
The owner of the Mariners is Japanese.

But you haven't said why someone here to play baseball needs to learn English. He's not trying to become a citizen, he's just here to play baseball.

Once again............read the thread that I posted (Thread #51 in particular). Why should Americans learn the Japanese language if they are just going over there to play baseball? I mean, when they are off the diamond they don't have to communicate with other Japanese people. Once a game is over Japan ships all Japanese people out of the country and ship English speaking individuals only, They don't have to bother learning the language in order to communicate. Why would they? Afterall, all they do is play baseball.

MattsMe
08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
He could at least show a little respect, and learn Spanish. :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:36 PM
"bisebol ha bean berry berry gude to mi"

:sofunny: My point exactly.

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:37 PM
He could at least show a little respect and learn spanish. :sofunny:

Yeah really, as least get in the general area!.....:dang:

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Bottomline in my book: If I'm going to a foreign country to make my bones, you better believe I would learn the language fluently. I find it completely ignorant if you choose not to (even if your only playing baseball). On top of that, why would you not want to? Ignorance or stupidity.....which is it?

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 09:54 PM
im thinking 83- steelers was the one who said this: Why would he bother learning English? The only words he needs to know is paycheck and big contract. God Bless America.

i dont think he said suzuki should learn english

83-Steelers-43
08-02-2006, 09:56 PM
im thinking 83- steelers was the one who said this:

i dont think he said suzuki should learn english

Sarcasm.....layed on pretty thick.....lol.

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 10:33 PM
He could at least show a little respect, and learn Spanish. :sofunny:i bet milwaulkees chorizo can speak japanese, domo arigato

Hawk Believer
08-03-2006, 01:18 AM
Yeah, he knows some English for sure. But this is a dude who has essentially BMOC his whole career. Trying to speak a foreign language in another country makes you look like a fool when you are starting. I personally have found it to be very humbling. But I have also found that there is no better way to endear your self to citizens of the host country than to give it the old college try.

I am guessing that Ichiro just doesn't want to feel foolish in front of the press by struggling through some English. I don't begrudge the man for talking through an interpreter. But a natural consequense of the barrier he creates by not speaking English will be considered the most beloved of all Mariner players in spite of arguably being the best player in their history. I would say that place on the mantle currently belongs to Edgar Martinez.