PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts from a fan who does not think the sky is falling after 3 games

LayingTheWoodley56
09-24-2012, 06:43 PM
First, I have to say that I find it disgusting how many so-called "fans" bash our team with such vitriol and hatred evident in their words. We have people talking about Casey's "fat ass" getting pushed around, forgetting that this guy has bled black and gold for us for a decade. We have people screaming for Dick Lebeau's head, when the man had a defense in the Super Bowl two years ago and led the number-one ranked defense last year. There was one freaking idiot who was somehow stupid enough to be ranting about how Ben is "overrated" after he has put together an excellent three-game stretch to start the season and is the absolute least of our problems and, indeed, far and away our biggest strength at this point.

I mean, do you people even enjoy rooting for this team? I'd hate to be in your shoes on Sundays, to be honest. Doesn't seem like it's much fun, and after all, that is what being a fan is all about. So really, I feel sorry for you haters.

Anyway, here are my assessments after our admittedly disappointing 1-2 start.

- A brief point: Yes, we are 1-2 but those two losses have both come in west coast road games, which we know are rarely easy.

- I will admit that I have never known in my 12 seasons as a Steeler fan (I'm 22) our defense to play this poorly. It is upsetting how wide open opposing receivers have been, and it is time for Lebeau to tweak what he's been doing, as it is clearly not working with this group. Let's not forget, however, that Keenan Lewis is a first time starter and Mundy has had to fill in for either Troy or Clark in each of the first 3 games. Once we get those two back playing together there will be improvement. Mundy has not shown himself to be anything more than a back-up, unfortunately. It is time to admit that. As for those hating on Ike, I don't know what your watching. He is not a top-tier corner, but he is consistently solid and we could do a lot worse with our number one.

- Never though I'd say this, but we need Mendy back. Redman is better than Dwyer IMO, but they are not a strong enough one-two punch to carry this backfield. Once Rashard is back, him and Red have the potential to be a solid team back there. Our running game will improve with Mendy's return, and (later on) Decastro's. I know people here endorse Dwyer, but to be honest I don't see it.

- It's still mystifying our inability to force turnovers the past 20 games. A big part of that is the lack of a pass rush, which can be attributed largely to the fact that Wood and Harrison have scarcely been on the field together since last September. Is anyone seeing a theme here? We need to get our guys healthy and be able to put our best unit out there. Carter and Worilds are both not ready for prime-time; I don't know if they ever will be.

- Finally, on a positive note, we are seeing a Ben Roethlisberger at the top of his game. He is throwing the rock in a way that I have not seen previously, and he is primed to have his best season (I said this going in.) He has never had the arsenal of weapons that he has right now with AB (yesterday's miscues not withstanding), Wallace, Sanders, and (finally we are using him in the red zone like we should have been all along!) Heath. For the first time since I've been a fan, our defense is the problem, and our offense has the potential to be exceedingly explosive and our greatest strength.

So, let's all take one big chill pill and recognize that 3 games a season does not make. Our offense has looked encouraging so far; if Lebeau can get the defense where it needs to be, and we can get healthy, this team could still make some noise. Ben gives us a chance to win every week, no matter who we are playing. Don't forget that the Giants were 7-7 through 14 games last season, and we know how their season ended. So let's have a little faith around here. Mods, I think perhaps we should think about opening up a new section of the board for the doom-and-gloom crowd, because frankly I find them a depressing drag on Steeler Nation.

tony hipchest
09-24-2012, 06:54 PM
atlanta dan has already pointed out that starting 1-2 doesnt bode well for our playoff chances. the team has already dug itself a deep hole and we really havent even played the stiff part of our schedule yet.

but im a glass half full type of guy. when we are tied with the ravens/bungs for either teh afc north seed or 6th and final playoff spot and lose out, week 3 will be one we look at as missed opportunity.

harrison'samonster
09-24-2012, 07:01 PM
i wouldn't be too upset about fans coming on here and bashing the team, i think we're all disappointed and everybody needs to get their frustration out somewhere.

What people are saying about hampton are pretty much what they had been saying about A. Smith and Ward too an extent. Can't let it bother you too much

StainlessStill
09-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Take care of our division, and these AFC opponents that we just dropped to mean JACK. Fortunately, we are going to have back some KEY players that mold this team on its pillars. Mendenhall on the ground game, Harrison as a edge rusher and Troy as a free lancing prowler. ALL PROBLEMS right now in our defense. This BYE WEEK is huge for this Steelers team RIGHT NOW. We'll come back home and simply take care of business.

Looking at the schedule, we have a TON of home games to finish out the season. That is good news for us as we are TOUGH to beat at home. We didn't play one division game YET.

Atleast split Cincy/Balty and I think we'll be in good shape. I still see us as a 10 win football team.

It's early, guys.

LayingTheWoodley56
09-24-2012, 07:03 PM
tony, i'm not saying that i'm thrilled with our start. i agree that 1-2 is not where we want to be, but it is by no means a death sentence. we win after our bye and we're 2-2 right where we were last season before we went on a run to 12-4, albeit with a tougher slate of games this year

Atlanta Dan
09-24-2012, 07:17 PM
1-2 is not good but it is not a disaster

Need to go no worse than 4-2 the next 6 games before 2 games in 3 weeks against the Ravens or the season is toast

Eagles
at Titans
at Bengals
Redskins
at Giants
Chiefs

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/schedules/2012/pittsburgh-steelers/index.html

At Cincy could be a huge game

maddog78
09-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Hate to say it, but LeBeau doesn't appear to be much of a schemer. When he loses a couple star players, we get no pressure, no TO's, no stops when we need them.

Can he not scheme any pressure whatsoever?

maddog78
09-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Take care of our division, and these AFC opponents that we just dropped to mean JACK.

Could mean the difference between playing home and away in the playoffs. Do you trust this team on the road?

StainlessStill
09-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Hate to say it, but LeBeau doesn't appear to be much of a schemer. When he loses a couple star players, we get no pressure, no TO's, no stops when we need them.

I don't buy into this thought process. The scheme will always be the scheme. What good is scheme if our athletes don't execute? The defense that has worked for a decade is still in place. When it comes down to it, LeBeau has absolutely, positively NO depth at the linebacking position. Not only is Harrison out, but we lost Sean Spence and Worlids didn't play one snap in training camp. He appears to be a fat SLOB and out of shape.

There comes a time when the scheme is in place and it's up to the PLAYERS to beat your keys one on one and we simply don't have that right now in the secondary with Mundy or on our edge rush with Carter/Worlids combination.

As for being tested on the road. We need to get better and find a way to win, but we just went into 2 of the most hostile places in the league to play and had a chance to win, both having leads in those games.

We can get it done. It's a couple fix's here and there that needs to be found and found quickly. This BYE comes at the perfect time. Lots of soul searching and coaching strategics to get better by the time we see Philly coming in here.

surcalifero
09-24-2012, 08:04 PM

Im thinking of dropping the Steelers defense and pick up the Seahawks defense for fantasy football.

Bayz101
09-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Patriots are 1-2 and they went to the Super Bowl last year. A Manning lead Broncos are 1-2, and the Green Bay Packers are 1-1 going into Seattle tonight.

A lot of Super Bowl caliber teams are struggling early. We'll be fine.

casteeler
09-24-2012, 08:36 PM
This team will improve in the next few weeks. The run game will be better with the return of Mendy and then DeCastro later, the pass rush is missing Harrison and Troy. The Special teams have talent but need some adjusting however an area that WILL NOT improve without replacing are the CBs. At best Taylor(the best of the bunch) deserves a C- . Both Lewis and Allen wouldn't make the practice squad of any other NFL team and I cannot understand how the Steelers felt that they could let these guys cover 1on1? The great thing about the bye week this week is the injured players can rest and heal and the Steelers can start looking(hopefully) for some much needed CBs. I'm still pissed about losing to the Raiders though!

StainlessStill
09-24-2012, 09:06 PM
Im thinking of dropping the Steelers defense and pick up the Seahawks defense for fantasy football.

And to think I have Seattle's defense in fantasy sitting on the bench. Didn't like the matchup with Rodgers and loved the Steelers defense up against Palmer and a lathargic Raiders offense. F*** me.

I do have Seattle as my upset special in my poll though. So far, so good.

LVSteelersfan
09-24-2012, 09:30 PM
I never give up on the Steelers until they are mathematically eliminated. Even in the 90s I rooted for them to the very end. They are my team win, lose or draw and I might show disappointment in them, but I refuse to totally bad mouth them and say fire everyone in sight. The offense scored 31 points for criminees sake. Normally that wins. I am also not as down on the CBs as a lot of people. No pressure on any NFL QB makes any CB look bad. Even the good ones.

TRH
09-24-2012, 09:39 PM
i don't give up on this team either.................but this time isn't like other times when people are just peeved over one loss....... one has to admit that there are SERIOUS, multiple issues on the defensive side of the ball. Enough that i'm not sure we'll even make it to a .500 record.

Sean95m
09-25-2012, 12:22 AM
If we score 31 points there is no reason we should lose a game! That being said, I think we know that Troy and Deboe are THAT important to our scheme! The sky is not falling, we have had many years when we got off to a sluggish start. We have to remember it's how we finish and what team get's hot. Praying we get healthy and hot after the bye week and stay that way!

tony hipchest
09-25-2012, 12:46 AM
If we score 31 points there is no reason we should lose a game! That being said, I think we know that Troy and Deboe are THAT important to our scheme! !

not at all... there are many steelerfans that think 2 former defensive MVP's of the league can be out and slapdick scrub players step in with absolutely no drop off.

if thes knowledgable fans were actually correct, i have to ask myself why we are paying players millions of dollars a year instead of starting the slapdicks who can do the same for much less $$$.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-25-2012, 01:00 AM
Not liking this 1-2 start-- there are some definite issues with the defense, but I don't have my arms up to catch the sky like it's falling or anything.

This is a Steelers team that is going to peak later in the season:

* Redman's groin pull can heal.

* Gilbert's groin pull can heal.

* Getting Mendy back.

* Getting Polamalu back.

* Getting James Harrison back.

* Getting David DeCastro back.

That ^^^^ list right there is a good handful of big solutions to some pretty glaring problems. And this team does have some issues.

And strangely enough, I can't recall the last time all those problems lived in the halowed ranks of our defense.

No push up the middle. Sadly, I think this is the aging interior that has not yet recovered fully from major knee rehab. Put Steve and Cam in there, at least half the snaps-- they looked much better at this point. It's time. We have the future of the defensive line on our roster-- Cam, Ta'amu, Mclendon, Hood, lets get em up to speed-- it can't be worse than Sunday.

Sorry OP, but sometimes saying it like it is, is called being OBJECTIVE. IKE TAYLOR is having a rotten season, IMHO. I'd love to be able to tell you something rosier, but he is getting beat, and then committing penalties when he realizes it. He is doing it at such an alarming frequency that he almost looks like he plays dirty.

And even more sadly, he is still easily our best coverage guy. The rest of the cardboard cutouts we have at CB are interchangeable because they all stink. William Gay, I am sorry I ever talked shit on you-- please come back!

Well, at least our bread and butter is still there on defense....oh, wait...our run defense seems to have flown the bird coupe as well. Darrent McFadden 120+ yards? Are you fracking kidding me? That needs to tighten the FXXK UP before we see the Rats, or Ray Rice is going to have a party.

This defense needs WORK. Re-uniting our deuce-deuce of Polamalu/Clark & Harrison/Woodley would probably go a long ways towards fixing that. Chris Carter is okay to fill in for a game, but neither he nor Worilds are suitable heir-apparents to SIlverback. That much is obvious now. Mundy, thanks for filling in and doing your best...but I am ready for Polamalu and Clark to get back together.

I still say this team can pull it together and stay on schedule to pick up elusive-seven this year. But they need to bring it all together soon before we fall too far behind. Joe Sacko, the Ravens, the Bengals, and that carrot they have for a QB are not looking back, the Steelers better not either.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-25-2012, 10:00 AM

Who is he gonna scheme pressure with ?? Foote, Worilds, Carter, Mundy???

The Raiders have a good O line with Veldheer, Barnes, Wisnewski and Cooper Carlisle....they protect well. Especially against mediocre defensive players. Fans that complain about our O line, but ignore that other teams have addressed their O line make me laugh.

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 10:19 AM
I really hope having Troy, Harrison & Mendy back make the difference, I really do.

I also hope that those guys don't get injured again, especially Troy & Harrison - it doesn't seem to take much anymore. We could get 1 great game out of then, and next thing you know - they're out for another 3 to 4 games.

This team has suffered long enough with the injuries - it really is frustrating as hell. Now, if they come back, and the D still sucks, this place is gonna' need a crisis hotline.

plenewken
09-25-2012, 10:31 AM
If we score 31 points there is no reason we should lose a game! That being said, I think we know that Troy and Deboe are THAT important to our scheme! The sky is not falling, we have had many years when we got off to a sluggish start. We have to remember it's how we finish and what team get's hot. Praying we get healthy and hot after the bye week and stay that way!

What worries me the most is our D has been going downhill for some time now. It's not like what happened in OAK is an accident.
Let's see how we handle Philadelphia in 2 weeks. This will be a serious test.

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
I'd hope that at least they can play a lot better as a unit at home. An actual strong collective defensive effort on the road is more of a measuring stick for this squad IMHO

grward
09-25-2012, 06:44 PM
I have to agree with the OP. At a young age of 22 ... you make many valid points.

With that being said, my biggest concern isn't that our defense is old and slow ... it's just that they are old. I fear that the injuries will continue to mount simply because they are older. IF they could stay healthy, then we would have a chance at being competitive.

It's very obvious that we cannot win without a solid D.