PDA

View Full Version : joey porters knee

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 07:33 PM
there were grumblings that when porter had his surgery right before mini camps that he was unhappy about his contract and all that bs.

"how could he wait so long to have surgery?" tell me hes not thinking about repeating, just like he stated at the sb parade and nothing else. looks like he will be back stronger than ever and let the chips fall where they may after '06.

thats what a leader does and this article just proves what a leader he is.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06214/710326-66.stm

Black@Gold Forever32
08-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I love Joey. I have no doubts in my mind he will be ready and won't let his contract effect his play. I want the Steelers to resign him. But with Troy and Ben needing to be resigned. Plus when you factor in that Joey is getting closer to 30 and how the Steelers always find LB's for their 3-4 defense. I really don't see Joey being resigned.

Polamalu43
08-02-2006, 09:12 PM
man we talkin about joey hes a tough son of a gun, im sure hes gonna b fine, no worries here..

Prosdo
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
I really do love Joey Porter. He is a true team leader and I would hate to see him go, but I do think we will probably be unable to resign him. Especially with Troy and Ben's contracts coming up. It's a shame if we would lose him, but I would rather keep Ben and Troy.

nicesteel4life
08-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Yup Not looking good to keep Porter, Great Beast on the Defense but age is catching up.
Knee's are getting older. I also would rather resign Ben and Troy....Sorry Porter.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-02-2006, 10:56 PM
I love porter too, but really he hasnt done that much lately....Ben and Troy will abe a priority....Unless Porter is a true team player and takes less than what hes worth he will be gone.........
Thats why Harrison got a contract this year

WWIIOwheelz
08-02-2006, 11:09 PM
The first thread here that breaks my heart. I want us to keep Peezy, but for that to happen, he'll need to work with them a little bit. Dare I say, though, that the Steelers might step-up a little to retain a player who helped make that difference between excellence and Champion.

I'd like to see him remain a Steeler for life, feel he deserves it.

tony hipchest
08-02-2006, 11:30 PM
I love porter too, but really he hasnt done that much lately....

???? :confused: ????

psst. he led all linebackers in sacks last year (a year he missed all of training camp)

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-02-2006, 11:34 PM

psst. he led all linebackers in sacks last year (a year he missed all of training camp)

I understand that....And it was hard for me to write that....I guess what i was trying to say is that sometime....to me....it seems he could have made more plays...... Guess i expect too much from him....?

Steelersfan
08-02-2006, 11:38 PM
I love porter too, but really he hasnt done that much lately....

How can you say that? Here's some of his stats over the past 2 years:

Sacks - 17.5
INT's - 3
FF's - 7
Passes Defended - 16

Those are pretty good numbers for a LB. And just so you know he has as many forced fumbles the past 2 years as Ray Lewis has for his whole career.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-02-2006, 11:40 PM
How can you say that? Here's some of his stats over the past 2 years:

Sacks - 17.5
INT's - 3
FF's - 7
Passes Defended - 16

Those are pretty good numbers for a LB. And just so you know he has as many forced fumbles the past 2 years as Ray Lewis has for his whole career.

I knew i was going to take some heat for this...But like i said, he has his games....
I would love to see him signed to a long term deal...But I look at the contract Harrison received and it makes you wonder.

Dook
08-03-2006, 12:02 AM

Linebackers don't line up alongside the defensive lineman. Go back and watch any game from last year, the playoffs especially, that's where he was unless we were in prevent.

We've always had a dynamic defense, it's called a 3-4 but really it's not because we blitz almost every down.

Here's the thing, watch Porter on every defensive play, he slacks off and does not pursue. If a play goes up the middle he stops and watches it go instead of trailing and bringing the guy down from behind like Polo does often.

I know Joey did this in the playoffs and he's a leader blah, blah... Watch every play instead of the one or two where he actually gives more than 3 seconds of effort.

I think for less than $5m we can get a good rookie to give us 100% every play.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
08-03-2006, 12:06 AM
Linebackers don't line up alongside the defensive lineman. Go back and watch any game from last year, the playoffs especially, that's where he was unless we were in prevent.

We've always had a dynamic defense, it's called a 3-4 but really it's not because we blitz almost every down.

Here's the thing, watch Porter on every defensive play, he slacks off and does not pursue. If a play goes up the middle he stops and watches it go instead of trailing and bringing the guy down from behind like Polo does often.

I know Joey did this in the playoffs and he's a leader blah, blah... Watch every play instead of the one or two where he actually gives more than 3 seconds of effort.

I think for less than $5m we can get a good rookie to give us 100% every play.

I will agree!!! But without taking anything away from Joey!

nicesteel4life
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Lets not talk about him leaving. Lets talk about him Stomping some grills this year....
We will have to let the cards fall where they will. We will see his character soon, Is he a team player or out for himself only? Love the Porter and hope he stays but I dont see it happening, hopefully I am wrong....

83-Steelers-43
08-03-2006, 09:00 AM
No complaints about Porter here, although I don't think we should resign him simply because of his age and the fact that we tend to spit out LB talent at the same rate that a Bengal get's arrested.

How you could "expect" more from him doesn't exactly make sense to me. The stats were already mentioned in this thread. Not only led the team in sacks but plays damn good against the pass. What else do you want or "expect" from the guy?

The Colts and Bronco playoff games last season showed me enough.

Does he have his off-games? Sure. Who doesn't?

tony hipchest
08-03-2006, 09:01 AM
I understand that....And it was hard for me to write that....I guess what i was trying to say is that sometime....to me....it seems he could have made more plays...... Guess i expect too much from him....?i remember greg lloyd getting stuffed in the superbowl. then again he was rushing against a house. at joey porters size, sometimes a player like walter jones is simply gonna get the better of him. what do they say? "sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you"

RoethlisBURGHer
08-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Unless he agrees to take a smaller contract so we can resign Ben and Troy,he'll be gone.

But this year he's gonna be focused and looking for his second ring.He's gonna give some QB's DA BOOT this year.

xpostxscript
08-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Does anyone know if Joey Porter's knee getting any better? I thought he was gonna get surgery on it but i havent heard anything. Hopefully he'll be 100% to go in time for the season.

SteelerFanInCA
08-03-2006, 11:37 AM
I know Joey is a little upset about not getting the surgery done a few months earlier but either way I believe he will be good to go for the season opener. I'm looking for him to come back and continue his torrid pace.

Haiku_Dirtt
08-03-2006, 01:42 PM
I love porter too, but really he hasnt done that much lately

Earlier in the season I was starting to think what was up but then I read LeBeau changed his assignments around and the rest is history.

"he hasnt done that much lately" Um. Were you watching the end of the Colts game. That was Manning underneath Joey.

Ambridge
08-03-2006, 02:23 PM
i remember greg lloyd getting stuffed in the superbowl. then again he was rushing against a house. at joey porters size, sometimes a player like walter jones is simply gonna get the better of him. what do they say? "sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you"

I can't remember. Who was it Larry Allen or Nate Newton that just "Bulldozed" Greg Lloyd into the ground during Dallas's first scoring drive??

I think if a reasonable deal can't be made with Joey I think James Harrison might be ready to step in and take over.

lilyoder6
08-03-2006, 04:44 PM
joey will play this yr. he won't let the contract be that much of a problem.

SteelCzar76
08-03-2006, 05:25 PM
The knee will be a non factor,....Peezy is a WARRIOR and epitomizes what Steeler football should be,...he will have a better season this year than last, en route to our Sixth World Title. He probably will not retire a Steeler,....but will be honored and remembered as a STEELER.

"Hail Caesar,...Hail the Black and Gold