PDA

View Full Version : Bad signs everywhere for 1-2 Steelers as team heads into bye week

ricardisimo
09-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.
Signs the Steelers’ troubles can’t be fixed merely by the return of Rashard Mendenhall, James Harrison and Troy Polamalu, whenever that occurs.
Signs that this 2012 season has already taken a sharp and perhaps irreversible turn for the worse. Signs that the problems — and they are many — might not be fixable this season.
Bad signs, too, especially for a team that, after coming out of its bye week by facing Philadelphia at Heinz Field on Oct. 7, plays three of its next four on the road. The Steelers (1-2) have lost four of their past five away from home.
One half isn’t enough
The defense, statistically the NFL’s best last season, can’t get off the field in the second half. The Broncos and Raiders had eight meaningful second-half drives between them. The result? Eight scores. The Steelers have been outscored 44-37 in the second half despite a 14-0 edge over the Jets on Sept. 16.
“We’ve got to close out,” Mike Wallace said. “If we want to be a playoff, Super Bowl-caliber team, we’ve got to be able to close out games.”
One dimensional won’t work
Ben Roethlisberger is off to the best start of his nine-season career, playing at a level only the megastars do; he is 82 of 120 for 904 yards, eight touchdowns, one interception and a rating of 109.2 that was 120-plus the past two games. Three receivers already have 15 catches or more.
But the running game (195 yards in three games) is abysmal. And when was the last time a Steelers coach tried three different running backs in the same game in an effort to generate yardage, as Mike Tomlin did Sunday by using Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer and Baron Batch?
Mendenhall appears to be close to returning. For this running game, it can’t occur soon enough.
“The more we run the ball, the better we’ll get,” an optimistic Willie Colon said.
Whose plays are these?
Roethlisberger made the surprising comment that he called some pre-Todd Haley plays while running the no-huddle during the 34-31 loss in Oakland on Sunday. Was it the levity a player of Roethlisberger’s skills is permitted? Or a yearning for the Bruce Arians days?
“There were plays out there that I called that weren’t in our playbook,” he said. “I know it sounds crazy; things we’ve had from years past that guys were on the same page with and it worked.”
Maybe it’s not the schemes
Several Raiders players said the Steelers’ blitzes and pass coverages were predictable at times. But maybe it’s not the schemes, maybe it’s the players carrying them out. The Steelers have only five sacks, and the pressure has been nonexistent at times.
Lawrence Timmons isn’t making the impact predicted of him. LaMarr Woodley is seeing more double teams than Randy Moss in his prime. The defensive linemen aren’t getting penetration, as evidenced by their zero tackles for losses.
Old, slow and done
Warren Sapp’s prediction a year ago that the Steelers were past their prime didn’t hold up in 2011. But the defense is built around players who started for them five years ago. In the NFL, that’s an eternity. And as the long-time starters leave (James Farrior, Aaron Smith), the replacements to date haven’t played up to their level.
Bad karma
The Steelers’ worst two seasons since 2003, 2006 (8-8) and 2009 (9-7), were punctuated by losses to bad Raiders teams. The Raiders and Broncos have won only two of their past six games since late last season; three of those four wins were against Pittsburgh.
Third and long (drives)
Opponents have converted on 16 of 33 third downs. That kind of consistency keeps drives going, and keeps the defense on the field too long.
There’s still time to get it done; 13 games can be an eternity. But what the Steelers haven’t shown is that the players are here to get it done, except in the passing game. And that might be the most troubling sign of all.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2657163-85/steelers-games-game-past-season-signs-1-2-running-sign-bad?printerfriendly=true#ixzz27U1Ouy5Z
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rw?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive) | triblive on Facebook (http://ec.tynt.com/b/rf?id=d-D-nM8emr4ALpacwqm_6l&u=triblive)

jjpro11
09-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Hopefully Harrison still has enough left in the tank to make an impact and free up Woodley and our other pass rushers a bit. If not, we are screwed. Last year's dreadful turnover production probably wasn't an aberration, rather more of a foreshadowing.

Steelerindc
09-25-2012, 09:19 AM
I kinda agree with the notion that the defense is predictable, especially to a QB like Palmer who has seen this same defense his whole career.

The second half tells me the Raiders made adjustments to what the Steelers were doing especially with the help of Carson's previous experience.

The problem is the Steelers/Labeau never adjust and stick to the line that if it's not broke don't fix it......well it's broke gentlemen and it needs some fixing.

Now watch we get lit up by Vick and the eagles while other teams have been making them look at best average and not very good.

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 09:30 AM
many offenses over the past few seasons have said the defense is predictable and that they were doing the same thing over and over again - of course that is easy to say after a win, but:

this is why I've posted about this defense taking more risks, and getting at least more rotation time for the young guys - I think it is a real possibility that if we show teams different personnel variations on a consistent basis, that might be able to create some more confusion. At this point, I think they should be in the mode of trying to find a spark in someone or some other idea

I say let's see some fresh ideas out there. Other than losing more games, it can't get worse. I'm not in the mindset of Troy and Harrison being the fix all, especially on the road

Steelerindc
09-25-2012, 10:13 AM
many offenses over the past few seasons have said the defense is predictable and that they were doing the same thing over and over again - of course that is easy to say after a win, but:

this is why I've posted about this defense taking more risks, and getting at least more rotation time for the young guys - I think it is a real possibility that if we show teams different personnel variations on a consistent basis, that might be able to create some more confusion. At this point, I think they should be in the mode of trying to find a spark in someone or some other idea

I say let's see some fresh ideas out there. Other than losing more games, it can't get worse. I'm not in the mindset of Troy and Harrison being the fix all, especially on the road

Agreed! I believe by saying Troy and James is not there is just like saying our defense is no good without star players. You should be able to scheme a good defense no matter whose out there.

The defense doesn't need an overhaul just tweaked a bit.

Steelerfreak58
09-25-2012, 10:25 AM
The 2 games we lost this year both teams adjusted at half time well and we did not (defensively). If it continues it will be a blueprint on how to beat this team.

Stairway to 7
09-25-2012, 12:46 PM

They're not a the 'fix' any more, does any seriously believe Harrison is going to be really effective? I don't. Troy can still change a game, but this isn't 2008 Troy and it's not the 2008 defense.

We're looking at 8-8 the way things are going. This 5 weeks stretch of games are brutal when we get back.

plenewken
09-25-2012, 12:53 PM
They're not a the 'fix' any more, does any seriously believe Harrison is going to be really effective? I don't. Troy can still change a game, but this isn't 2008 Troy and it's not the 2008 defense.

We're looking at 8-8 the way things are going. This 5 weeks stretch of games are brutal when we get back.

:applaudit:

I'm afraid you're right.

Fire Arians
09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
we just can't win on the road, plain and simple. ever since tomlin took over we haven't been able to. unless something changes with that, we need to count on being the #1 or #2 seed to have a shot at a super bowl

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 01:17 PM
Post-Oakland thoughts

MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2012
posted by Dale Lolley

This game reminded me of on in Chicago in 1995 when the Steelers got into a shootout with the Bears. The last team to have the ball was going to win it.

Only that Steelers team had a great defense to go along with an emerging offense.

This team has established stars all over on offense and Ben Roethlisberger is playing the best football of his life.

As for a great defense, not so much - at least on the road.

As Brett Keisel said after this one, this team needs to find a way to win on the road if it is going to get to where it wants to go.

That being said, Denver and Oakland are two tough places to open. There are easier road games coming, and the Steelers had to be pleased that they put up 31 points in a very hostile environment.

But the defense allowed scores on five consecutive possessions. Can't somebody, anybody, make a play?

While the Steelers have spent some big money on offensive players in recent years, they've also dropped some heavy coin on a couple of defensive players - LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons - as well.

They're not getting their money's worth right now.

Sure, Woodley had the team's lone sack Sunday and also had a tackle for a loss. But he finished with four tackles.

That was still better than Timmons, who had three tackles. In fact, after recording seven sacks and four forced fumbles in 2009, Timmons has five sacks and two forced fumbles - in the past two-plus seasons.

At this point, he's not even as impactful on a game as Larry Foote, who doesn't have nearly the athleticism of Timmons.

Often times, tackles are a matter of opportunity. But there's something to be said about players who make their own opportunities as well.

@ If you had any question about Mike Tomlin's faith in his defense to stop the Raiders in the second half, you only needed to see him go for a fourth-and-1 at his own 29.

At that point, it was the right call. As we saw, the Steelers couldn't stop Oakland's offense.

With that in mind, I'd have given serious thought to going for it on fourth-and-9 from the 36 as well.

@ Ben Roethlisberger played an outstanding game, leading the team to 31 points while continuing his hot play on third downs, where the Steelers converted 8 of 14 for the game.

But he once again had a chance to lead a fourth quarter, game-winning drive and failed.

In the past two seasons, Roethlisberger has led exactly one game-winner, and that came against lowly Indianapolis last season.

In his first seven seasons, Roethlisberger led 26 such drives, many of which came when he was, you know, just a game manager.

@ This is still a pretty good team with a chance to get much better coming out of the bye when it gets Rashard Mendenhall, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison back.

Mendenhall has looked good in practice and has to be able to give the team something better than the 2.6 yards per carry it's currently averaging.

Polamalu is still Polamalu, while even a one-legged Harrison would give this team some kind of pass rush outside of Woodley.

The Steelers are on pace to allow more touchdown passes (32) than they have sacks (27).

You want to know what's wrong with this defense? That's it in a nutshell. The lack of pressure is killing it.

@ That was a bad fumble for Jonathan Dwyer. With Mendenhall coming back and Barron Batch showing a little something as a third-down back Sunday, Dwyer could find his opportunities dwindling quickly.

@ On the positive side, with the return of Mendenhall, this offense has a chance to be one of the more dynamic ones in the NFL. If the defense can play average football the rest of the way and the offense continues to click, the Steelers still have the look of a 10 or 11-win team.

But unless they figure out how to win a big game on the road, any hopes of another Super Bowl run are just that, hopes.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/sidelines/

Fire Haley
09-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Snoop Dogg was on First Take this a.m. - he said no worries, just wait till Harrison and Troy and Mendy get back

I believe - this defense just isn't the same without our 2 edge rushers and Troy and Clark together

Ben will get us to 40 pts, I can feel it

LVSteelersfan
09-25-2012, 01:34 PM
we just can't win on the road, plain and simple. ever since tomlin took over we haven't been able to. unless something changes with that, we need to count on being the #1 or #2 seed to have a shot at a super bowl

Tomlin's teams are 68-27since he took over if my math is correct. Seems like that is an AWFUL lot of road wins to me. Utter nonsense saying he can't win on the road.

maddog78
09-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Philly will be tough, but that's at home and I'm not sold on them. At Tennessee is tough simply because it's a road game, but their defense is beyond awful and Locker is a young QB. At Cincy will be tough, but their two wins are close ones over Cleveland and Washington, so I'm not terribly impressed with them yet.

After that, home for Washington should be a win. Bad defense and rookie QB.

At the Giants, though, not looking forward to.

I think we can go 4-1, 3-2 over that stretch and sit at 5-3, 4-4 heading into the second half. Hopefully we have corrected our problems by then.

We need to be 8-6, 9-5 heading into the final two home games with Cincy and Cleveland. Get hot, healthy, and in the playoffs. That's the goal anymore. Just look at the two SBs the Giants have won recently. They weren't setting the league on fire all year by any stretch.

steelfury02
09-25-2012, 02:14 PM
I'll give you Tomlin's record overall - I believe 24-19 in away games. That is a solid job. Out of those road wins over his career, he is 10-5 against division opponents on the road

anyone that can be over .500 on the road over the course of a career gets a nod from me

Blitzberg06
09-25-2012, 02:48 PM

I think the Steelers are 1-9 in their last 10 games on the west coast? I know it's something along those lines.

Hawaii 5-0
09-25-2012, 08:11 PM
It's A Good Time For A Steelers Bye Week

By Neal Coolong ON SEP 25

The Steelers have been without three starters for some combination of the first three games. It's possible all three of them return after the Steelers' Week 4 bye, making it a perfect time for a week off.

Early bye weeks can be seen as disadvantageous.

After three weeks of the 2012 season, having Week 4 off is a good thing for the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Steelers took a tough 34-31 loss from the Raiders in hostile O.Co Coliseum Sunday, and the defeat was a character kind of game. It won't build it has much as it will reveal it.

And a week off for the team and the coaches to reflect upon what's been an up-and-down start to the year is just what they all need.

Some time to heal more injuries wouldn't hurt, either.

The face of this team will change at least a little bit with the possible returns of safety Troy Polamalu, linebacker James Harrison and running back Rashard Mendenhall. The face of the team will change a lot of these players are again to miss another game - Mendenhall and Harrison have missed all three and Polamalu has missed the last two.

Mendenhall should be expected to play. He was taken off the preseason PUP list and kept on the active roster as he continues to recover from offseason knee surgery due to a torn ACL suffered at the end of the 2011 season. It seemed likely at the time the decision was made to keep him on the roster he'd be back after the Week 3 bye. Him being out any longer would beg the question of why he wasn't placed on the PUP list to start the year, taking advantage of an additional roster spot.

Harrison may be a little more iffy. He had arthroscopic surgery Aug. 15, and practiced before Pittsburgh's Week 1 game at Denver. His knee didn't respond well to the work, and he hasn't practiced since. Harrison, at 35, could be rested for the sake of keeping him fresh for the rest of the season, but sitting at 1-2, with two games in five days (Week 5 vs. Philadelphia, Week 6 Thursday night at Tennessee), and a sagging pass rush, the Steelers need him back as soon as he's able.

Polamalu injured his calf in Week 1, and has not practiced since. Polamalu has a history of injuries and with his increased age, it would seem sensible the Steelers would take all precautions to ensure Polamalu isn't rushed back on the field. But with a substandard performance by back-up S Ryan Mundy in Week 3, the sooner Polamalu could be back, the better.

It's difficult to gauge which direction the Steelers are heading without those players in the lineup. If it gets to the point any of them will miss significant time or even the entire season, we'd have a good idea of how the Steelers will be equipped for the remainder of the year.

Getting those players back would make the Steelers a more competitive team on both sides of the ball. But perhaps there will be a much clearer view of how this season will go if none of them are able to play in Week 5.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/9/25/3404170/steelers-bye-week-news-injuries

Darthslayrr
09-25-2012, 08:59 PM
If we are depleted at linebacker, then why don't we switch to 4-3

Hawaii 5-0
09-30-2012, 11:55 PM
Potential Adjustments & Improvements Hopefully Forthcoming For The Steelers

Sunday, September 30th, 2012 by Jeremy Hritz

It has been nearly a week since the Pittsburgh Steelers blew the lead in Oakland, yet it still looks as ugly as ever when watching it again. While we keep searching for the silver lining in the game on defense, it is difficult to find one, and consequently, the panic has definitely set in.

Enough time has been spent identifying the weaknesses of the Steelers after week three of this young season, yet not much attention has been awarded to discussing what changes and improvements need to occur to turn around the season and navigate it in the direction of the playoffs.

Former head coach Bill Cowher was notorious for his mantra, “There is a fine line between winning and losing in the NFL,” and his words are definitely applicable to the Steelers in 2012. If the team can just shift a few areas into their favor, they can resume their winning ways.

Here are some potential adjustments, improvements that we may see over the next several weeks.

A Boost to the Running Game

While I never thought I would say it, I am anxiously anticipating the return on running back Rashard Mendenhall. Over the years, I have been critical of Mendenhall for “dancing” and tip-toeing near the hole, yet after watching Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer this year, the production that Mendenhall provided, while not awe-inspiring, was significantly better. During my game film study, there have been instances in which holes have opened up for the backs; however, either their lack of vision or quickness impedes them from hitting it, resulting in no gain or a loss. Additionally, there have been too many outside running plays and draws called for Redman which have failed miserably. While I am not expecting Mendenhall to be Superman in his first game back, I do expect him to invigorate the running game. If this can happen, imagine the time of possession on offense. This will only benefit the struggling defense. And maybe it is time for more carriers for Baron Batch who ran hard against Oakland and looked much better than Redman or Dwyer.

The Return of Saunders

Mark Kaboly of the Tribune Review wrote about how the return of Weslye Saunders would help boost the running game, as Leonard Pope has been inconsistent. Yet another factor to consider is the additional receiving threat that he will provide to this offense. As an athletic tight end, Saunders will create matchup problems for defenses and give Ben Roethlisberger another weapon, making the Steelers offense even better.

Rainey Will Finally Settle In

While Chris Rainey has yet to make a big play in the regular season, it is just a matter of time. The rookie demonstrated several times in the preseason his explosiveness and ability to score from anywhere on the field. As he grows more comfortable in the offense and with the speed of the game, he will become a factor not only on offense, but also on special teams. The spark that his big plays could provide will be huge in swinging momentum for the Steelers as the season wears on.

The Offensive Line Will Improve

The longer this group plays together and grows comfortable with the scheme, they will get better. And while it is a long ways off, the return of David DeCastro will upgrade the guard play, especially in the pulling game. Also, overlooked last week was the effective pass protection. While it wasn’t perfect, Ben was not sacked until late in the game.

Polamalu Will Return

While not what he used to be, Troy Polamalu is light years better than what Ryan Mundy brings to the defense. And it is no secret the step that the defense takes back whenever Troy is out of the lineup. His return to the defense will help solidify a run defense that has struggled.

Dick LeBeau Doesn’t Have Blinders On

Check out LeBeau’s comments after the Raiders game: "Generally speaking, I usually say: 'You dumb ass, why did you call that defense?' But we're not where we want to be. In this business you're never as good as you think you are…." While critics have piled on LeBeau after the loss to the Raiders, this is a Hall of Fame, two time Super Bowl winning defensive coordinator that is in charge here. If anything, LeBeau knows that his defense is playing below the line, and he will make the necessary adjustments to improve. The offense did not help the defense with the turnovers last week giving up a short field, and the same can be said about the return teams. It’s not like the defense has given up a ton of yards, they have just not made plays. If anybody can rectify this situation it is LeBeau. And if you don’t believe so, go back to 2005 when the Steelers gave up 38 points to the Bengals in a loss that took their record to 7-5. What happened after that game? The Steelers won seven straight, including the Super Bowl.

A Tweak to Timmons’ Game

If you have access to the first three games of the season, go back and watch Lawrence Timmons. What you will see is a supposedly “explosive” player who looks like he is going three-quarters speed. When he engages blockers or comes on a blitz, his momentum is immediately absorbed and stifled. Additionally, he appears a step behind the play, and when he is in position to make a play, he misses the tackle. I refuse to believe that Timmons is not an effective player because we have seen it in 2008, 2009, and 2010. However, something it amiss, and it dates back to last season. While fellow middle backer Larry Foote is older than Timmons, he plays fast and aggressive to the ball, and he makes Timmons look like he is running in sand. Something is not right here, whether it is scheme, conditioning, or lack of desire. Whatever it is, it is undeniable, and Timmons must tweak his game to help the interior of the defense.

More of an Attack Mentality on Defense

Foote, Ryan Clark, and LaMarr Woodley appear to be the only players on the defense that are playing physically and are playing with intensity. Like Timmons, the defensive line, Chris Carter, Jason Worilds, Ike Taylor, and Keenan Lewis seem to be playing passively instead of aggressively. When you are out-powered by Carson Palmer and company, it is a problem. A player like Woodley or Clark needs to call out this defense for their paddy-cake play and remind them that they are wearing a black and gold uniform. Even if the personnel cannot make plays, they should at least look like they are making an admirable effort on the field.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/potential-adjustments-improvements-hopefully-forthcoming-for-the-steelers/

SoCalFan
10-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Some good read! Im liking the offense ALOT and think the running game will get on track! Now to get the D healthy we should make a good run!

ricardisimo
10-01-2012, 02:28 AM
We're not winning out West. "The road" isn't exactly the problem; three time zones is.

Fire Arians
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
our only win looks even less impressive now after the 49ers embarassed the jets at home, and badly. the jets are terrible

steelfury02
10-01-2012, 01:53 PM
well, put it this way - we're not Saints fans right now! Holy heck is that a train wreck of a team right now. By the time Vitt or whoever gets back, their season might be over already

Fire Haley
10-01-2012, 04:43 PM
our only win looks even less impressive now after the 49ers embarassed the jets at home, and badly. the jets are terrible

and the Raiders just got slaughtered by the Broncos

not looking good, 2 AFC losses already

Ravens play KC /Cincy plays Miami

4-1, 4-1

Steelers lose to Philly

1-3

Fire Arians
10-01-2012, 04:46 PM

4-1, 4-1

Steelers lose to Philly

1-3

I wouldn't say that yet, we are still tough to beat at home. I'm predicting 2-2

Atlanta Dan
10-01-2012, 04:50 PM

4-1, 4-1

Steelers lose to Philly

1-3

http://demotivators.despair.com/demotivational/despairdemotivator.jpg

Fire Haley
10-01-2012, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't say that yet, we are still tough to beat at home. I'm predicting 2-2

that was we're looking at a 'worse case scenario', not an actual legally binding prediction

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Steelers Vs. Eagles: Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger Expresses Sense of Urgency For Win

By Neal Coolong ON OCT 2

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/439793/152653573.1349176976_standard_500.1349177093.jpg

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told Tribune-Review reporter Alan Robinson the season may not hang in the balance of a victory Sunday when the Eagles come to Pittsburgh, but they "need to get a win."

It's still a marathon, Roethlisberger continued. If there was a time to make a move on the rest of the pack running that marathon, though, it's Sunday.

In what would be a particularly bad time to lose home field advantage, the Steelers are staring at the backsides of the Ravens and Bengals - both 3-1 - and a loss to the talented Eagles would drop them no better than two games behind the division leaders. Baltimore, in a rare early season road game, travel to struggling Kansas City, and the Bengals are host to the floundering Dolphins.

The Steelers, 1-0 at home, and 0-2 on the road, take on their best opponent to date in what seems like a must-win game to even their record over their opening quarter of the season. If there are must-win games in the first quarter of the season, this one is it.

The Eagles, on the other hand, lead the NFC East at 3-1 with the worst point differential (-17) as any division leader. In fact, they're only the fourth team in the last three decades to sit at 3-1 while scoring less points than it has allowed. Philadelphia is a team finding several different ways to win. The defense shined in a 19-17 win over the visiting Giants in Week 4, one week after suffering a 26-7 blowout at Arizona. They got a huge defensive effort in their front seven, and 156 receiving yards from tight end Brent Celek in a 24-23 win over Baltimore. In Week 1, Cleveland took them down to the wire, but pulled out a 17-16 win thanks to a complete and thorough hazing of rookie QB Brandon Weeden.

The Eagles have gotten production from its receivers in each of their first four games. In Week 1, it was Jeremy Maclin leading the team in yards, followed by Celek abusing Baltimore's linebackers in coverage in Week 2. DeSean Jackson held top honors in their loss at Arizona and against the Giants in Week 4.

Philadelphia is fifth in the NFL, averaging 417.8 yards per game, but only are scoring 16.5 points per game.

The fact they win close games is something the Steelers will need to be concerned with, especially considering they held second half leads in both of their losses.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/10/2/3442606/steelers-eagles-week-5-nfl-preview-analysis

pete74
10-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Kansas City will surprise everyone when they beat the Ravens.

Hawaii 5-0
10-04-2012, 05:05 AM

okay, i'll admit that i'll be very surprised...

teegre
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM

KC has outgained its opponents by 300 yards. Their problem: turnovers. No turnovers, and they could possibly have one (or two) more win(s).

BALT has not been causing as many turnovers as they "used" to, and they seem to have no pass rush without Suggs.

And. KC is always a difficult venue in which to play.

Summation:
It would not surprise me, at all, if KC were to beat BALT.

FrancoLambert
10-04-2012, 06:16 PM

I hope you're right, but it won't mean a thing unless we beat the Eagles.