PDA

View Full Version : Defense Silences Offense

83-Steelers-43
08-03-2006, 07:50 AM
Defense silences trash-talking offense
By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, August 3, 2006

It didn't appear as if running back Verron Haynes had reached the end zone on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line Wednesday night at Memorial Stadium in Latrobe.
And it sounded as if there was no way Haynes could have broken the plane prior to fumbling; the blow he absorbed at the 1 was ferocious.

The only mystery surrounding the latest showdown of training camp between the Steelers' first-team offense and the first-team defense revolved around who actually made the tackle and forced the ball from Haynes' grasp.

No one on the defense was taking complete credit for the play at the conclusion of the first live goal-line drill of 2006.

"I don't think that was me," strong safety Troy Polamalu said. "I don't know who it was."

"I saw Farrior hit him," linebacker Larry Foote said. "Somebody came and finished him, but I saw Farrior hit him first."

So how about it, James?

"I don't know," Farrior said. "I hit something. I don't know what, though. It was kind of loud, so it might have been me.

"I'll take a little bit of it, not all of it."

Free safety Ryan Clark was the unidentified co-conspirator with Farrior, but that mattered little to the Steelers' defense.

Keeping the first-team offense out of the end zone meant everything.

"They've been talking a lot of trash, especially Verron," Foote said. "I'm happy he got a couple carries in there. He's been talking a lot, but you know he didn't score."

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt attacked with three tight ends (Heath Miller, Jerame Tuman and offensive tackle Trai Essex) and fullback Dan Kreider trying to pave the way for Duce Staley on first and second down and Haynes thereafter.

Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau countered with four linemen (Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton, Chris Hoke and Brett Keisel), four linebackers (Clark Haggans, Farrior, Foote and James Harrison) and three safeties (Mike Logan, Polamalu and Clark).

"They've been talking all week about how they were going to dominate and run the ball down our throats," Farrior said. "We just had to come out here and prove to them that we're still on top on this team."

The second-team offense scored on a play-action pass from quarterback Charlie Batch to fullback Branden Joe on second-and-goal.

"You can't do this enough," Steelers coach Bill Cowher said. "That's the first time we've hit (tackled) since the Super Bowl, to be honest with you. I think it got the juices going."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_464571.html

HometownGal
08-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Great read! It's good to see our guys building up that intensity and physical style of play that the black and gold is noted for! :bouncy:

BlackNGold203
08-03-2006, 08:49 AM
Sounds like the pads were popping in Latrobe last night!!!!

section514
08-03-2006, 08:53 AM
when you practice against the best, no one can stop you. Steelers O is practicing against one of the premier defensive units in the league. I am looking forward to seeing what happens during saturdays scrimmage.

Lukin83
08-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Sounds like the pads were popping in Latrobe last night!!!!

They were popping real loud. I'll have an update on practice later today.

Mosca
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Defense is always ahead of offense this time of year. And it sounds like the drill was run the ball in, so defending a play-action wasn't an issue.

It's nice to see that everyone is fired up. I would be worried if the defense DIDN'T stop the offense on that one, though.

Tom

klick81
08-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Got ME all hyped up!!!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
HELL YES,LETS BE THIS INTENSE AND UNSELFISH ON THE GAME FIELD!

tony hipchest
08-03-2006, 12:22 PM
They were popping real loud. I'll have an update on practice later today. thanks bro. the info you provide is awesome. kirwan and t. ryan would not stop talking about james farrior stopping duce staley on the goaline drill. here they are in nothing but a helmet shoulder pads and shorts and they said it looked like he was stopping a run in the superbowl. they said it sounded like 2 trucks colliding. when they talked to bill cowher about this yearly drill all 3 spoke of it like its one of the greatest things to a fooball purist and how it reeks of the essense of what a steeler is all about.

SteelerFanInCA
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
I love that drill. Glad to see there is some hitting going on in camp.
That should start to shake off the cob webs before the season starts.
I guess Farrior had a nice welcome back for Duce.

Black@Gold Forever32
08-03-2006, 01:54 PM
No suprise to hear that. Our defense is the best stopping the run. They pride themselves in stopping the run and its shows even in practice.

HburgXL06
08-03-2006, 02:04 PM
After these two groups get done beatin on each other the rest of the NFL will seem like peewee to them!

BuFu

Haiku_Dirtt
08-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Good new is that the juggernaut known as the Steeler defense looks as strong if not stronger this season. Logan and Hokie getting reps. but Ryan Clark on the hit is MUSIC.

Bad news is No. 2 and No. 3 can't find the endzone. I'd think Verron should have done the talking after he crosses the line. He's not playing against Cincy.