PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mundy fined $21,000 for hit on Darrius Heyward-Bey

Fire Haley
09-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Pittsburgh safety Ryan Mundy was fined $21,000 for a brutal hit on Oakland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey on Sunday, according to ESPNís Adam Schefter.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/49014/mundy-gets-fined-for-dhb-hit

--------------------

looked clean to me

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/Hit.jpg

OX1947
09-26-2012, 03:01 PM
God, I have one wish please, make this monstrosity retire before 2017, PLEASE!!!!!!!

Goldsteel86
09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
That must be why Harrison left the Steelers facility today, he was SUSPENDED!!!!

Fire Arians
09-26-2012, 03:20 PM
That must be why Harrison left the Steelers facility today, he was SUSPENDED!!!!

:chuckle:

SoCalFan
09-26-2012, 06:01 PM
STOOOPID...That play happened so fast, it was clear (even in the pic) he had no intention! It has come down to this, someone gets hurt, someone MUST be fined!

Bayz101
09-26-2012, 06:10 PM
I said on another board: By Goodell's logic, if a defensive players is UNCONSCIOUS, flying through the air and happens to fly into an offensive players helmet, it's a fine. Doesn't matter that it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid making the contact, all that matters is that contact HAPPENED, and that's BULLSHIT.

teegre
09-26-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm preaching to the choir, but to me, Heyward-Bey was ducking his head down, right INTO Mundy's helmet.

No duck; no concussion.

steelersforever58
09-26-2012, 06:40 PM
What I find funny is that the writer calls it a brutal hit. If that was a brutal hit, I don't know how to describe other hits I have seen.

MasterOfPuppets
09-26-2012, 07:31 PM
I said on another board: By Goodell's logic, if a defensive players is UNCONSCIOUS, flying through the air and happens to fly into an offensive players helmet, it's a fine. Doesn't matter that it's IMPOSSIBLE to avoid making the contact, all that matters is that contact HAPPENED, and that's BULLSHIT.
how does an unconsious person become airbound ? or did he pass out while air bound from pulling to many G's ? :huh:

WVABE
09-26-2012, 07:32 PM
It just happened to be a great hit that went bad.

I wish they'd start fining the refs for all their bad calls.

Bayz101
09-26-2012, 07:35 PM
how does an unconsious person become airbound ? or did he pass out while air bound from pulling to many G's ? :huh:

I'm seen football hits send guys spinning through the air like tops, and I've seen the guys have trouble getting up.

Plus, I didn't mean it literally. I'm just saying: Sometimes hits like this are unavoidable, but under Goodell, that doesn't matter. You WILL get fined for something you CANNOT control.

bornaSteelersfan
09-26-2012, 09:58 PM
I think he deserves the fine. I don't think the fine should be for the hit, but for the pathetically missed tackle on McFadden's TD scamper.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-26-2012, 11:06 PM
If you watch the replays, it was clear the Mundy did not even see Heyward-Bey until he was wearing him. His hands were extended, his eyes were on the ball, and he was trying to get the INT (you know-- DBs are supposed to play the ball, not the opposing receiver). They collided. It happens. Nobody' fault.

But I am sure it was labelled as "vicious", and "launching" himself or whatever.

teegre
09-26-2012, 11:27 PM
If you watch the replays, it was clear the Mundy did not even see Heyward-Bey until he was wearing him. His hands were extended, his eyes were on the ball, and he was trying to get the INT (you know-- DBs are supposed to play the ball, not the opposing receiver). They collided. It happens. Nobody' fault.

But I am sure it was labelled as "vicious", and "launching" himself or whatever.

Bingo!!!

Fire Arians
09-26-2012, 11:29 PM
basically a hard hit to the head, intentional or not will be a fine, it's today's NFL

beer72
09-27-2012, 07:18 AM
Its getting harder and harder to watch the NFL !!!!:mad:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-27-2012, 09:40 AM
I dont think he intended to hit the helmet and it was just a glancing blow, but by the letter of the rule, it was a head to head hit.

Now to be fair, where is the fine on hitting Ben at the knees or the nasty chop block on Ziggy Hood?? Seems like the commish has B&G colored glasses on.

Goldsteel86
09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Either way you slice it, this is still football, and quite frankly the Raiders should be the last team/orginization that should whine about any type of helmet to helmet hit, they had a player that was intentionally dirty in Jack Tatum, if anyone who was old enogh to remember the hits he put on Swann were far worse than what Mundy put on Heyward-Bay. I have always wondered though, what do they do with all of that money from the fines?

Darkstorm05
09-27-2012, 12:34 PM
I have always wondered though, what do they do with all of that money from the fines?

http://gusthebassdog.org/images/cash.jpg

LgFriess
09-27-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm thinking fining for hard hits gives them an "out" when they end up in court. They're covering their butts by slowly but surely taking the physical nature out of the game. Clean hit, helmet to the head, WR ducking into the hit... whatever... they're just going to nail guys for making hard hits period. Maybe they should just hurry up and get it over with and make it flag football instead. Then they'll fine the players for pulling the flags too hard.

teegre
09-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Now to be fair, where is the fine on hitting Ben at the knees or the nasty chop block on Ziggy Hood?? Seems like the commish has B&G colored glasses on.

Amen!!!

My brother turned to me, and asked, "Why does BB not get those calls!?!" The only thing I can think is that the refs think that BB is too big to be injured: "Oh... Ben can take it; he's big & tough." It is simply not right. ANY defender hitting a QB at the knees HAS to be flagged!!!

silver & black
09-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Either way you slice it, this is still football, and quite frankly the Raiders should be the last team/orginization that should whine about any type of helmet to helmet hit, they had a player that was intentionally dirty in Jack Tatum, if anyone who was old enogh to remember the hits he put on Swann were far worse than what Mundy put on Heyward-Bay. I have always wondered though, what do they do with all of that money from the fines?

So, who's whining? :noidea:

mikegrimey
09-27-2012, 06:13 PM
Amen!!!

My brother turned to me, and asked, "Why does BB not get those calls!?!" The only thing I can think is that the refs think that BB is too big to be injured: "Oh... Ben can take it; he's big & tough." It is simply not right. ANY defender hitting a QB at the knees HAS to be flagged!!!

I do think the refs are reticent to throw flags when it comes to certain QBs because of their unique athletic ability. Vick, for example, gets lit up in the pocket frequently and I rarely see RTP flags thrown for him, his ability to escape and run downfield works against him in the regard. Same with Ben, who officials have seen shrug off dozens of would-be tacklers over the years. It's not fair but its just one of those things

steelersfan77
09-27-2012, 06:31 PM
This bullshit won't end until goodell is gone. He'll fine every hit that looks too rough. Mindy isn't paying that fine anyways. I'd rather see Mindy pick up the fine, his teammates, the Rooney's Wii chip in, then see him give up a touchdown there by laying up from the hit. I blame Palmer for throwing it. He put his teammates in a tough position and gambled his health. Most qbs don't fear the ball over the middle nowadays with safety help. Lott, Tatum wouldn't of fit in well with today's game.

Steelersfan4life0655
09-28-2012, 12:16 AM
no way was this intentional to take bey's head off. just by the pic proves otherwise.

Hawaii 5-0
09-29-2012, 07:30 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bey Has No Hard Feeling Towards Ryan Mundy For Hit

Friday, September 28th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Oakland Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, who was knocked out of the game last Sunday by Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Mundy, said on Friday that he has no hard feelings towards Mundy for the hit, according to the Associated Press.

Despite not having any hard feelings, Heyward-Bey also has no recollection of the hit that left him with a concussion and neck strain. The Raiders receiver spoke to reporters on Friday for the first time since being carted off the field in the fourth quarter and told them that he's seen replays of the hit but otherwise does not remember it.

Heyward-Bey also told reporters that he has since exchanged text messages with Mundy while he was in the hospital and that he told the Steelers the safety that the play was simply a part of the game.

Mundy has since been fined $21,000 by the league for the hit, which he is expected to appeal. Mundy also made it clear after the game that the hit to the head was not intentional.

Heyward-Bey is listed as doubtful on the Raiders Friday injury report and is not expected to play in the Raiders Sunday game against the Denver Broncos.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/09/darrius-heyward-bey-has-no-hard-feeling-towards-ryan-mundy-for-hit/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Lady Steel
10-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Looks like a clean hit to me, too.

Heyward-Bey also told reporters that he has since exchanged text messages with Mundy while he was in the hospital and that he told the Steelers the safety that the play was simply a part of the game.

That's right. Sometimes shit happens. :noidea:

tanda10506
10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
As for the hit, by today's standards it was a fine-worthy hit. A KO straight to the face that leaves the WR completely unconscious is the exact thing the NFL is trying to prevent (for legal reasons as mentioned). That's in Goodel's world, in the football world that every body knows but him, it was a great hit that ensured an incompletion. I don't know if Mundy could have pulled up or not, but it doesn't matter, in Goodel's world it's still a fine and in the football world that every body knows it's still a good hit.

While on this subject, have you seen the way they are teaching kids to hit these days? It's the exact way I was taught not to hit. I played JR league's, high school, and college, and no coach (or even an assistant) EVER would have allowed someone running around hitting with their heads pointed back and getting their necks cracked backwards. Is there some new science behind this or something that I'm not aware of, or are they really trading head blows for spinal injuries?

Fire Arians
10-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Looks like a clean hit to me, too.

That's right. Sometimes shit happens. :noidea:

helmet to the chin, you don't get knocked out from getting hit in the chest. according to current nfl rules, that's an illegal hit (helmet to helmet). a couple inches lower and it's legal

nfl is trying to stop the occurence of head injuries, and anytime you get a blow severe enough to cause a knockout, that's brain damage to some extent guaranteed