PDA

View Full Version : Honestly, this one's over

SteelerJay
09-26-2012, 09:26 PM
Pittsburgh is about Defence. Unfortunately, the Steelers don't have the horses after years of success which forced the team to draft in the late teens and in the twenties/thirties. The young guys, Heward and Hood, Mclendon, the corners, need some time. Dont forget it took James Harrison 5 to 6 years to make the team and play at a high level.

With a down year, they can restock on Defensive talent. Can't see Harrison or Polamalu making much of a difference this year.

In the meantime, enjoy a blossoming passing game and hope a running game can be found.

maddog78
09-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Don't give up yet. NE and GB had the two worst defenses in the league and made the final four last year. NY was 27th and won it all. Just need the offense to carry the load this year.

tony hipchest
09-26-2012, 10:27 PM
honestly, i dont think its over at all.

im not going to take my lumps yet losing guys like harrison and polamalu w/o recognizing the possibility of other teams losing players like suggs and revis as well.

there is still alot of football left to be PLAYED.

teh 8-8 broncos defeated the 12-4 steelers.

the 9-7 giants beat the sweetheart darling 49ers, packers, and patriots on way to a superbowl victory.

i will throw in the towel AFTER we lose the game that eliminates the steelers from playoff competition. no more, no less, just like any other year.

jb500ex
09-26-2012, 10:28 PM
Don't give up yet. NE and GB had the two worst defenses in the league and made the final four last year. NY was 27th and won it all. Just need the offense to carry the load this year.

giants won because they have the best clutch qb in the game. ben has been horrible the last 2 or 3 years at the end of games and choked 2 games already this year. all he needed was another 1st down and the defense couldnt blow the game instead he was happy because he put up arians numbers using his plays. both those morons forget its about final score not yards. 31 is nice but in this league today with this defense they will still need more

tony hipchest
09-26-2012, 10:40 PM
giants won because they have the best clutch qb in the game. giants ALSO won becaus the supposed greatest offense ever seen cant score jack shit against their defense.

next.

Riddle_Of_Steel
09-26-2012, 11:02 PM
giants won because they have the best clutch qb in the game.

Put down the crack pipe. The "best clutch qb" in the game barely got his team to the playoffs, and his defense did a lot of the heavy work. Take away Osi Umenurethra, Justin Tuck, and the Giant's front 7, and Eli looks pretty mediocre.

ben has been horrible the last 2 or 3 years at the end of games and choked 2 games already this year.

How does 4 TDs and 400 yards equal a "choke"? Not only are you smoking crack, but it was cut a few times with baking soda and baby laxative as well.

all he needed was another 1st down and the defense couldnt blow the game

All the defense had to do was protect a 14 point lead on one of the worst offenses in the league, or get a stop near the end, instead of letting Carson Palmer carve us up like a turkey.

Come to think of it-- all they had to do in Denver was slow Peyton down-- the offense owned time of possession, it put up points, and it kept Peyton Manning off the field for nearly an hour at one point in the game.

instead he was happy because he put up arians numbers using his plays. both those morons forget its about final score not yards. 31 is nice but in this league today with this defense they will still need more

So...if the offense is having to COMPENSATE for the defense, how is it the offense's fault we lost those games?

This is your brain on drugs....:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Fire Arians
09-26-2012, 11:21 PM
with the year ben is having you can't count us out of games, we will win more games than not if he keeps playing at the level he is

if we can get the running game going, playoff bound.

the defense doesn't need to be great this year if our offense can consistently be awesome

tony hipchest
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM
only all other teams are allowed to win and make the playoffs w/o a top 10 defense.

not the steelers.

:rolleyes:

teegre
09-26-2012, 11:26 PM
Q: Is BB still playing?
A: Yes.

Ergo, it ain't over.

tanda10506
09-27-2012, 01:54 AM
Q: Is BB still playing?
A: Yes.

Ergo, it ain't over.

Ben can't win them by himself though. He had a great game and we still couldn't beat a true bottom feeder. Even with Ben playing that well we were still out scored BY THE RAIDERS. The defense doesn't need to be top notch by any means for the offense to be able to win games for us, but they have to play better then they did.

Stairway to 7
09-27-2012, 04:15 AM
We've lost 3 of our last 4 games, all of them to Denver and Oakland (neither of whom will win shit this year), in one of those games they didn't have a QB and still beat us. Carson Palmer raped us sunday and he's never done a thing against us.

This defense is lacking talent, simple as that.

ricardisimo
09-27-2012, 05:51 AM
Once again, I'm going to enjoy making all of you eat crow when we are yet again a top-5 defense by year's end. Can't wait for the "yeah, but that's only on paper" excuses. Some people are just never happy.

maddog78
09-27-2012, 06:48 AM
giants won because they have the best clutch qb in the game. ben has been horrible the last 2 or 3 years at the end of games and choked 2 games already this year. all he needed was another 1st down and the defense couldnt blow the game instead he was happy because he put up arians numbers using his plays. both those morons forget its about final score not yards. 31 is nice but in this league today with this defense they will still need more

Ben "choked away" the game in Oakland by throwing for 384 yards, 4 TDs, and giving his defense a 10-point 4th quarter lead?

Maybe Eli needs to be clutchier. He's 79-54 in his career, Ben is 91-39, including playoffs for both.

Rockonsteel
09-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Ben can't win them by himself though. He had a great game and we still couldn't beat a true bottom feeder. Even with Ben playing that well we were still out scored BY THE RAIDERS. The defense doesn't need to be top notch by any means for the offense to be able to win games for us, but they have to play better then they did.

To be fair for the sake of objectivity, while I agree with all the sentiments about the defense looking real raggedy, the offense in the 4th quarter yielded 0 points, committed a crucial turnover, and failed to convert a vital 3rd down after they had just converted on 4th down in attempt to keep the putrid defense off the field.

The defense is definitely in hurting way, literally and figuratively, but the offense can't turn the ball over and come to a grinding halt in the 4th quarters of these games against inferior teams. It just opens the door for bad things to happen, as we saw Sunday, and so many other times in the last few years. If the offense even gets 3 pts. in the 4th quarter, the Steelers prolly sneak out of Oakland with an ugly win, instead of an ugly loss.

***DISCLAIMER***This is in no way a defense for the way this defense has played.

Rockon

steelfury02
09-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Pit O had time of possession in Denver, but they didn't put up enough points to win

0, 10, 3, 6. @ Denver - they scored 1 touchdown
3, 10, 7, 7 v. NYJ - another slow start, but 1 TD in every quarter after that
14,3, 14, 0 @ Oakland= played great in 1st and 3rd @ oa

I still thought they looked to be in the right direction. They improved greatly against Jets, and improved a little more @ Oakland.

Even though in half of the quarters played through 3 games they failed to score a TD, they still kept us in it and gave us leads, which is a lot more I can say about this defense right now. We almost won in spite of the fumbling last game. I was mad when they put the D in a bad position - but the D still has to do its job and rise to the occasion and make 1 effin stop

They couldn't hold the Oakland Raiders offense to just a field goal in every single quarter. And as previously mentioned, offenses are scoring on average a point a minute against this D. That is unacceptable.

Will I stick a fork in them? No. But going 1-3 against Eagles at home, in what should be a huge bounce back game will shut some homers up. Hope I'm wrong.

Steelerfreak58
09-27-2012, 08:35 AM
You let those young guys on the D-Line play instead of Hampton and Keisel and you will see a change in the defense. I love this team but its pretty obvious that the D-Line needs addressed. Hampton is still not even close to 100% and if he is he is 100% then he is finished, Keisel has done a lot of great work for the team but he is just getting pushed around. Let Heyward and McClendon play the majority of the downs with Hood let some youth and speed come in and make a difference.

Edman
09-27-2012, 10:50 AM
You're not going to win many games giving up 34 points week after week.

I don't care who you have at QB. If the Defense makes one stop, just ONE stop. We win.

LVSteelersfan
09-27-2012, 10:58 AM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!! Those must be some nice drugs you are on. The offensive problems in the last game had nothing to do with Ben. More like Fumbleitis by his teammates. Ben was almost perfect in that game. Get real man.

Fire Haley
09-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

wera176
09-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Dude, that was great timing! :applaudit:

As for the OP, JC man...:banging:

stiller39
09-27-2012, 11:45 AM
I hear what you all are saying and have to agree with some of it. However, If ,and its a big if, we can get our running game going and keep the other team off the field and eat up the clock once we get a lead, I think our defense has enough to get it done.

jb500ex
09-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Ben "choked away" the game in Oakland by throwing for 384 yards, 4 TDs, and giving his defense a 10-point 4th quarter lead?

Maybe Eli needs to be clutchier. He's 79-54 in his career, Ben is 91-39, including playoffs for both.

Yeah and one has Two sb mvps and one was bad in two superbowls. Look at both have played the last few years Eli is the best qb in the league in crunch time it's not even close. For all the whining about injuries Eli won the sb last year with the worst running game in the league And 27 th ranked defense. When was the last time ben came up clutch at the end of the game? Both Denver games choked and all we needed was a first Down last week. Those are all facts

StainlessStill
09-27-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure what a defence is, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and overlook the panic for now.

ricardisimo
09-27-2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah and one has Two sb mvps and one was bad in two superbowls. Look at both have played the last few years Eli is the best qb in the league in crunch time it's not even close. For all the whining about injuries Eli won the sb last year with the worst running game in the league And 27 th ranked defense. When was the last time ben came up clutch at the end of the game? Both Denver games choked and all we needed was a first Down last week. Those are all facts
So your response to maddog's stats is some more of your angry opinion, which you then call "facts"? Is that about right?

Fire Haley
09-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Dude, that was great timing! :applaudit:

why thank you

and still I get no karma

maddog78
09-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Whatever. If Ben gets injured, we won't win another game.

fansince'76
09-27-2012, 12:47 PM

Please. Eli Manning won two Super Bowl MVPs because of his last name and lineage more than anything else. I guarantee you if Ben's last name was "Manning," he would have gotten MVP for XLIII, because his stats in that game were practically identical to Eli's in XLII. The fact is, Manning is one Asante Samuel drop and one Wes Welker drop away from being 0-2 in Super Bowls himself.

By the way, how "clutch" was Manning last year when the Giants were 7-7 and in 2nd place in the NFC East heading into week 15? If it weren't for the Cowboys' annual December swoon, the Giants wouldn't have even made the playoffs to begin with.

Bayz101
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Please. Eli Manning won two Super Bowl MVPs because of his last name and lineage more than anything else. I guarantee you if Ben's last name was "Manning," he would have gotten MVP for XLIII, because his stats in that game were practically identical to Eli's in XLII. The fact is, Manning is one Asante Samuel drop and one Wes Welker drop away from being 0-2 in Super Bowls himself.

By the way, how "clutch" was Manning last year when the Giants were 7-7 and in 2nd place in the NFC East heading into week 15? If it weren't for the Cowboys' annual December swoon, the Giants wouldn't have even made the playoffs to begin with.

:plusone:

Rick5895
09-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Oh Oh time to move to the storm cellar ...... according to some reports out there the SKY is falling. I wish this :spam: would stay off this forum site.
We are only 3 weeks into the season and already some of you think we're in the running for the 1st overall pick. Or so it appears. Enjoy the weekend , have a drink and CALM DOWN!! We will be ok.

beer72
09-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I still have a lot off faith in the steelers. Its only the 3rd week and a bunch of football still needs to be played. Also i feel the steelers plays their absolute best football when everyone counts them out! Also say the steelers sweep the ratbirds....:tt02:

GoFor7
09-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Translation: "Oh no! We can't allow the Steelers' defense to ever be criticized no matter what! Quick! Blame Ben first before anyone blames the defense! That way no one will notice all of the 80 yard scoring drives the defense has allowed!"

steelfury02
09-28-2012, 09:40 AM
the Ravens are certainly having some big problems on defense.

Brownies were one drive away from tying it up. The only difference in the Ravens season thus far is they made 1 more stop than our D has been able to. Giving up a crapload of yards and points though.

With the lack of pressure we're having, I wouldn't have any qualms about doubling both Boldin and Smith. Put Ike and Lewis on Boldin / Put Clark and Allen on Smith, can always switch these combos around too. Put Mundy on Jones. Rush 4 all day. Let Timmons pick up the TE and let Troy be Troy. Maybe he can spy Rice all day and call in Timmons for help. If Pita beats us, then we don;t deserve crap anyways.

I know little about what would be a good scheme on paper - but something gotta work.

Steelerfreak58
09-28-2012, 12:46 PM
We are only 3 games in there is time to make adjustments. I will believe its over when they tell me we are eliminated from the playoffs.

grward
09-28-2012, 01:15 PM
honestly, i dont think its over at all.

im not going to take my lumps yet losing guys like harrison and polamalu w/o recognizing the possibility of other teams losing players like suggs and revis as well.

there is still alot of football left to be PLAYED.

teh 8-8 broncos defeated the 12-4 steelers.

the 9-7 giants beat the sweetheart darling 49ers, packers, and patriots on way to a superbowl victory.

i will throw in the towel AFTER we lose the game that eliminates the steelers from playoff competition. no more, no less, just like any other year.

Hear, hear! Well said!! :tt04:

Steel_Bus_24
09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Until we start pressuring the QB we are irrelevant........

its weird last year we had this problem but in reverse......We couldn't protect Ben for S****

Until we start disrupting the QBs rhythm we'll be a mediocre-to below average team

tanda10506
09-28-2012, 05:23 PM
The more I think about it, we are really just a few adjustments away. I'm not going to sugar coat it: we have high draft picks that are playing "average", injuries are killing us, some of the vets are playing like they should retire, and our D coordinator appears to not see what's happening to his defense. BUT the offense is really good and it's going to keep getting better, especially if Mendy can contribute. The defense showed it can still compete when they played man coverage and shut down the Jets. If we continue to play big cushion zone then it is over. Even the Raiders who were down by 14 points beat the big cushion D, therefore anybody can. When the defense hasn't showed up at all we have lost the shoot out (Denver and Oakland), but I also don't think they have to dominate like they did against the Jets. If the defense adjusts and gets some stops from time to time and plays decent red zone defense then we will win games. The offense doesn't need much help this year, but they need more then they are getting. I'm not optimistic about it, but I'm not throwing in the towel YET.

tony hipchest
09-28-2012, 05:47 PM
denver was hardly a shootout. they scored on an interception.

if this team were 2-4 i could understand some of the reaction people are having, but right now at 1-2 i just feel its a bit over-reactionary

Atlanta Dan
09-28-2012, 06:01 PM
denver was hardly a shootout. they scored on an interception.

if this team were 2-4 i could understand some of the reaction people are having, but right now at 1-2 i just feel its a bit over-reactionary

You ain't seen nothing yet - wait until the posts if the Steelers lose to the Eagles during the run up to the then "must win" Thursday night game against the Titans

--hMJPUBwMc

FrancoLambert
09-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Honestly, it's NOT over.
The defense is playing downright ugly, can't deny that.
The offense looks like it could be close to unstoppable.
Special teams still suck, no surprise there.
It's reasonable to be nervous about this season so far.
The defense is not playnig well, they're making stupid mistakes, and at times intensity and effort seem lacking.
I'll feel a lot better about the prognosis for this season if the D could come up with an impressive game or two, quicklly.

grward
10-01-2012, 07:00 AM

No way are you a Steelers Fan ... go join the Eli Fan Club or something, anything ... just get out of here!

steelfan23
10-01-2012, 11:15 PM
No way are you a Steelers Fan ... go join the Eli Fan Club or something, anything ... just get out of here!

what a douche. God forbid anyone uses critical thought around here. No...must blindly have faith in subpar players and coaches...yes master....let's spam anyone who doesn't agree with me.

tony hipchest
10-01-2012, 11:25 PM
what a douche. God forbid anyone uses critical thought around here. No...must blindly have faith in subpar players and coaches...yes master....let's spam anyone who doesn't agree with me.please learn the proper usage of the word "spam" as a verb.

thank you.

:spam:

according to youre unique usage of the term, you could be accused of spam as much as anyone, no? :noidea:

GoFor7
10-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Re-hire Arians........

Then fire him again.

maddog78
10-04-2012, 09:13 AM
By the way, what was Eli clutching in Philly last weekend?

It surely wasn't victory.