PDA

View Full Version : Harrison this sunday

lowester
10-01-2012, 07:31 PM
according to James (follow him on twitter) he posted today "God Willing, I will be playing this sunday". :tt03:

maddog78
10-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Hasn't he said this every week? I'll believe it when I see it.

GoFor7
10-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Wouldn't hold my breath for Harrison returning. Sure he could be back, but don't get too excited just yet.

Bayz101
10-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Harrison will always say that. You could break his leg and he'd say that.

Steelersfan87
10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Harrison has never said this year before now that he believes he's going to play Sunday. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to play, but obviously Harrison has a higher level of optimism of his chances to play than he has previously.

tony hipchest
10-02-2012, 12:11 AM
harrison also said he is "probable" for the steelers fashion show being held friday night.

:hunch:

Hawaii 5-0
10-02-2012, 03:13 AM
Harrison has never said this year before now that he believes he's going to play Sunday. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to play, but obviously Harrison has a higher level of optimism of his chances to play than he has previously.

what are you talking about, James Harrison has pretty much said every week he's going to play on Sunday only to have his knee swell up on him...

Fire Haley
10-02-2012, 05:45 AM
He's praying for a miracle?

Steelersfan87
10-02-2012, 08:35 AM
what are you talking about, James Harrison has pretty much said every week he's going to play on Sunday only to have his knee swell up on him...

Please find me a quote of him saying this, then. He hasn't. The closest he's said was when he allegedly gave Ed Bouchette an "OK" sign after one practice regarding how his knee felt, and then last week when he tweeted after practicing that he hoped everything would go well the next day. Never has he actually said anything close to what he said yesterday, which was "God willing, I will be playing Sunday against the eagles!" He hadn't even gone through a full practice during a game week before now; this is decidedly different, and his comment was decidedly different.

Here are his tweets:

Sep 6: I will be practicing tomorrow and have a better ideal if I'll be ready to go on Sunday night.

Sep 7: Didn't make practice today, looks like it will be a game time decision.

Sep 25: Just finished my first day of full practice, hopefully everything goes well tomorrow!

Yesterday: God willing, I will be playing Sunday against the eagles!

lowester
10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
just reading into those tweets a little bit.. i think it sounds more promising he will be playing this sunday... I hate saying the word "tweets".. :couch:

steelfury02
10-02-2012, 11:09 AM
i'm not a big social media fan in general, the cell phone as an additional appendage is enough for me sorry. If I have another meeting with someone who has a flashing blue tooth in their ear I'm gonna scream!

Where were we? Ahh yes, Harrison - I wouldn't count on him this season or if ever again, just my two cents.

Fire Haley
10-02-2012, 02:40 PM
keep praying

Harrison, Polamalu, Mendenhall not on Steelers’ injury list

For the first time since training camp began, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ injury list doesn’t contain any Pro Bowl players.

Coach Mike Tomlin listed only right tackle Marcus Gilbert (groin) during his news conference Tuesday, omitting linebacker James Harrison (knee), safety Troy Polamalu (calf) and running back Rashard Mendenhall (knee).

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2699585-85/harrison-steelers-mendenhall-season-injury-list-camp-game-knee-polamalu#axzz288s70oFY

Millers the sh!t
10-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Even if he does play. I'm guessing hell be rusty for 4 weeks or so, and I'm having a feeling he won't even be able to play four weeks in a row anyways.

Bayz101
10-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Please find me a quote of him saying this, then. He hasn't. The closest he's said was when he allegedly gave Ed Bouchette an "OK" sign after one practice regarding how his knee felt, and then last week when he tweeted after practicing that he hoped everything would go well the next day. Never has he actually said anything close to what he said yesterday, which was "God willing, I will be playing Sunday against the eagles!" He hadn't even gone through a full practice during a game week before now; this is decidedly different, and his comment was decidedly different.

Here are his tweets:

Sep 6: I will be practicing tomorrow and have a better ideal if I'll be ready to go on Sunday night.

Sep 7: Didn't make practice today, looks like it will be a game time decision.

Sep 25: Just finished my first day of full practice, hopefully everything goes well tomorrow!

Yesterday: God willing, I will be playing Sunday against the eagles!

I was talking in general.

Harrison has a knack for announcing he'll play on twitter and facebook only to sit the next week. I believe the orbital bone featured this phenomenon once or twice. :chuckle:

Nothing more than a player who's optimistic and excited to get on the field...

Hawaii 5-0
10-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I was talking in general.

Harrison has a knack for announcing he'll play on twitter and facebook only to sit the next week. I believe the orbital bone featured this phenomenon once or twice. :chuckle:

Nothing more than a player who's optimistic and excited to get on the field...

you are correct...

Steelersfan87
10-03-2012, 12:45 AM
I don't see anything from back in October about him saying he's playing on facebook or twitter either...

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 01:29 AM
I don't see anything from back in October about him saying he's playing on facebook or twitter either...

let's see if you know how to admit when you're wrong. I doubt it...

James Harrison says he'll play for Steelers vs. Jets

By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer
Published: Sept. 13, 2012

The Pittsburgh Steelers toiled through their first game of the season without the services of linebacker James Harrison. That might change Sunday.

Harrison told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he'll be on the field Sunday against the New York Jets as the Steelers attempt to grab their first win of the season.

Harrison has been bothered by pain in his surgically repaired left knee and didn't practice Wednesday. Coach Mike Tomlin has yet to announce a decision on Harrison's status for the team's home opener.

Detractors point to Pittsburgh's pool of 30-something defenders as a sign of a defense that's seen better days. It's too soon for that chatter, but without Harrison on the field, the Steelers couldn't slow down Peyton Manning's Denver Broncos. Pittsburgh recorded only two sacks and Manning had enough time to engineer a passing game that accounted for 253 yards and two touchdowns through the air.

Harrison is not a friend to quarterbacks. Mark Sanchez's chances of re-recording the carnival ride we saw against the Buffalo Bills dips severely if Harrison suits up. Rex Ryan -- still filled with visions of losing that AFC Championship game in Pittsburgh two season ago -- is watching closely.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000061839/article/james-harrison-says-hell-play-for-steelers-vs-jets

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 01:30 AM
Ed Bouchette ‏@EdBouchette:

#steelers James Harrison tells me he will play Sunday. We'll see

9:31 AM - 13 Sep 12

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/246284990927732736

Bayz101
10-03-2012, 02:27 AM
And that's just from our last game. He said the same about what I believe was his Orbital Bone last year on a couple occasions.

Not that I see anything wrong with his optimism. In fact, it's the right attitude for a player.

I'm just saying, don't take his words to heart. He WILL be playing god willing, but that isn't always the case.

Steelersfan87
10-03-2012, 03:41 AM
For future reference, if you're right and you know you're right, all you have to do is show some evidence.

I did forget about Bouchette writing that, surprisingly. It turns out, however, that that was not Harrison's complete quote. He also added "I've been known to lie". Which is kind of different from what he said this time. Does that guarantee that he's going to play in any way? Of course not. But the situation is clearly different. 1) He said it of his own will via social media rather than responding to a reporter, 2) he actually practiced, and 3) he didn't mention that he could be lying. And Tomlin also said he expects him to play, to top it all off.

Rick5895
10-03-2012, 04:53 AM
If he lays, I am sure it will be limited snaps. But it would force Philly in to an interesting decision offensively on how to account for both Woodley and James.
Time will tell. On another note it's good to get Troy and Mendy(hoepfully) back.

maddog78
10-03-2012, 08:33 AM
For future reference, if you're right and you know you're right, all you have to do is show some evidence.

Or maybe don't immediately call out someone for being incorrect if you can't prove it?

:noidea:

tony hipchest
10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Or maybe don't immediately call out someone for being incorrect if you can't prove it?

:noidea:

:busted:

jjpro11
10-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Everyone should just chill and wait to see what happens Sunday. Even if Harrison and the coaches are all 100% confident he'll play, he could still suffer a setback between now and the game. Nobody knows for sure, it's best to just stop worrying about it.

teegre
10-03-2012, 11:52 AM
My predicted stat line:

25 plays
3 hurries
1 sack
1 batted pass
3.5 tackles
1 FF
13 penalties
$150,000 in fines

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 03:00 PM

so this is the best you know how to admit that you were wrong? I had a feeling that the words "I'm sorry, I was wrong" weren't in your vocabulary.

I don't make statements that I believe to be factually incorrect so do you really expect me to provide evidence for everything that I say? that is absurd, this is a Steelers message board, not a court of law.

like a couple of other posters have alluded to, maybe you should just STFU and not argue things when you're not sure that you are correct.

PeRK82
10-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Ravens fan here,

Not here to start at all guys, im glad for that J.Harr. is coming back for you guys but don't get your hopes up that he will be 100 % atleast for a few games but atleast he is coming back.

I can't wait for Suggs to come back but im not expecting him to really do anything productive until maybe 3 games in.

Hope all our Guys are healthy and are playing 100% when we play each other in a few weeks from now. And you guys might agree with me on this one.

But WTF is up with the scheduling Playing each other Twice in 3 wks. I think we should have played maybe week 2 or 3 and then play again week 14,15 or 16.

Now that would have been perfect.

Steelersfan87
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
so this is the best you know how to admit that you were wrong? I had a feeling that the words "I'm sorry, I was wrong" weren't in your vocabulary.

I don't make statements that I believe to be factually incorrect so do you really expect me to provide evidence for everything that I say? that is absurd, this is a Steelers message board, not a court of law.

like a couple of other posters have alluded to, maybe you should just STFU and not argue things when you're not sure that you are correct.

I did acknowledge that I was wrong. I said "I did forget about Bouchette writing that"; that means that I acknowledged that I was wrong. But being wrong about a factual claim is no grounds for an apology, so I'm not sure why you would expect me or anybody else to apologize in this situation. Acknowledgement of being mistaken is sufficient.

You can't prove that somebody did not say something any more than you can prove that god doesn't exist. The best evidence you can provide is a lack of evidence, when all the other side needs is one piece of evidence to the contrary.

You provided that, and then I acknowledged that I missed it. That's where it should have ended. And that's where I'm ending it. We'll see later on in the week just how justified Harrison's and Tomlin's confidence yesterday is.

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 05:47 PM
You can't prove that somebody did not say something

actually, yes you can...

Steelersfan87
10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Really? I'd like to know how.

Bayz101
10-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Quit crying over spilt milk guys. Either take it to your inbox's and settle this little feud between you two, or i'll just close the thread. We'll find out soon enough the situation on Harrison, and if this thread is going to be filled with nothing but feuding i'll be inclined to lock it and move on.

pete74
10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
no need to argue, Harrison will play this week

Hawaii 5-0
10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
no need to argue, Harrison will play this week

yes, Harrison will play and even at 75% he will be an improvement over Chris "Mr. Preseason" Carter who after three starts has still yet to register a sack or even a single QB pressure.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I am gauging my expectations. He wasn't all that impressive last year to start the year after his back surgeries.

Not sure how well a 35 year old with a knee that has been a problem for the last several months is going to be able to "turn things around" on our defense. I am not expecting him to be at 100%, but yeah-- probably still an improvement over Chris Carter at this point.

Not sure why Chris did not do better-- he looked descent enough this preseason in one-on-one matchups (yeah, it was preseason). Looked to me like he was trying too hard for sacks and taking himself right out of the play doing so.

Riddle_Of_Steel
10-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Dodens Grav = DOWN BY LAW?

Bayz101
10-04-2012, 02:21 AM
Dodens Grav = DOWN BY LAW?

Dodens and Hawaii have had their fair share of differences, and we'll just leave it at that. I for one think they are both great guys and excellent posters and wish they'd put it behind them.

I'd like it even more if this discussion would stay on track.

Seems Harrison IS starting. Anyone expect him to come back strong?

Hawaii 5-0
10-04-2012, 03:22 AM
Dodens and Hawaii have had their fair share of differences, and we'll just leave it at that. I for one think they are both great guys and excellent posters and wish they'd put it behind them.

why thank you Bayz, I think you're pretty cool yourself...:chuckle:

Steelersfan87
10-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Steelers LB James Harrison, RB Rashard Mendenhall ready to make season debuts (http://www.examiner.com/article/steelers-lb-james-harrison-rb-rashard-mendenhall-ready-to-make-season-debuts?cid=db_articles)

OX1947
10-05-2012, 01:30 AM
As a football fan, you have to put things in perspective sometimes. Players like Silverback and Polamalu have put years in and they put in their heart, soul and body. Their games are not easy to the body. They both play like wrecking balls. I came to grips a couple of years ago that Troy will not be a Steeler too much longer. Silverback, this might be his last. They have had amazing careers, won super bowls and top awards and pro bowls, at some point, you gotta realize that there will be an end. We may be seeing it now.

pete74
10-05-2012, 05:09 AM
As a football fan, you have to put things in perspective sometimes. Players like Silverback and Polamalu have put years in and they put in their heart, soul and body. Their games are not easy to the body. They both play like wrecking balls. I came to grips a couple of years ago that Troy will not be a Steeler too much longer. Silverback, this might be his last. They have had amazing careers, won super bowls and top awards and pro bowls, at some point, you gotta realize that there will be an end. We may be seeing it now.

its definatly sad. i belive this will definatly be Harrison's final year as a Steeler and Troy will play one more

Hawaii 5-0
10-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Steelers plan to rotate outside linebackers to avoid fatigue

October 6, 2012
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://d4493f2df0d1b95cfc62-773cd17a86049dd672fafb96394debed.r5.cf2.rackcdn.co m/2012/279/943/harrison_420.jpg

James Harrison, pictured, and LaMarr Woodley will be rotated to save energy in the game Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles and their elusive quarterback, Michael Vick.

The Steelers might have learned a lesson after the defense blew a pair of 10-point leads in the fourth quarter of their loss against Oakland.

Perhaps, that's why they plan to rotate outside linebackers James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley in the game Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles and their elusive quarterback, Michael Vick.

Harrison, a five-time Pro Bowl linebacker, will make his return against the Eagles (3-1) after missing spring and summer camps with a recurring knee injury. He will be joined in the starting lineup by All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu, who sat out the past two games with a calf injury.

The Steelers (1-2) told Harrison he will be spelled in the first half by Chris Carter, who has been starting at right outside linebacker since minicamp. The coaches want to be sure Harrison is fresh for the fourth quarter.

"I have to come off," Harrison said. "It's no need being out there, being dog-tired, and not be able to do what's necessary to play the position. You want to stay fresh. You don't want to go out there and play every snap in the first half and come out sluggish in the third and have nothing left in the fourth."

The Steelers have a similar plan for Woodley, who has three of the team's five sacks.

They will spell him early with Jason Worilds because they want to make sure Woodley is fresh enough to chase Vick in the fourth quarter. But the Steelers will not have Harrison and Woodley out of the game at the same time.

After the defense blew leads of 24-14 and 31-21 in the fourth quarter of their 34-31 loss to the Raiders, the coaches want to make sure their best players are fresh when the game might be on the line in the fourth quarter.

In Harrison's case, though, it is his first game since the wild-card playoff loss in Denver.

"When it comes down to it, a lot of it simply is because I haven't played," Harrison said. "To actually think you're going to go out there and play 60-plus snaps in a game ... I haven't seen the normal training camp, the normal [organized training activities] and preseason. When you look at it, it's really coming up on what would be my first preseason game."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-plan-to-rotate-outside-linebackers-to-avoid-fatigue-656431/#ixzz28aO16uaI

jiminpa
10-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Ravens fan here,

Not here to start at all guys, im glad for that J.Harr. is coming back for you guys but don't get your hopes up that he will be 100 % atleast for a few games but atleast he is coming back.

I can't wait for Suggs to come back but im not expecting him to really do anything productive until maybe 3 games in.

Hope all our Guys are healthy and are playing 100% when we play each other in a few weeks from now. And you guys might agree with me on this one.

But WTF is up with the scheduling Playing each other Twice in 3 wks. I think we should have played maybe week 2 or 3 and then play again week 14,15 or 16.

Now that would have been perfect.Both teams need that long to recover.

jiminpa
10-07-2012, 10:07 PM
As a football fan, you have to put things in perspective sometimes. Players like Silverback and Polamalu have put years in and they put in their heart, soul and body. Their games are not easy to the body. They both play like wrecking balls. I came to grips a couple of years ago that Troy will not be a Steeler too much longer. Silverback, this might be his last. They have had amazing careers, won super bowls and top awards and pro bowls, at some point, you gotta realize that there will be an end. We may be seeing it now.Exactly why I hated that we were wasting all that talent on offense for the past five years. We could have had a shutdown defense and a top five offense, and chose not to address the glaring offensive issue. It actually disappoints me in sympathy for the defensive players who had to go out and rescue the offense game after game, year after year, and then have the offense put them in the position to give up the winning score.